PDA

View Full Version : Surrey/South Fraser Updates

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

theQ
Aug 15, 2009, 9:20 PM
It's a good idea, "City Centre Ring Road" is a great name for a road that "rings" around Central City. Where's Whalley?

CoryHolmes
Aug 16, 2009, 12:20 AM
to be honest i dont think i mind the change of name i known so many people who have this thing with east whalley ring
which is stupid cause theres nothing really bad about

That's because it's the east Whalley Ring Road :P As we all know, West Whalley Ring Road is far superior :whip:

Whalleyboy
Aug 16, 2009, 9:24 AM
pssh not forever east whalley is set for retail frontage where west whalleys got nothing=P

although to keep whalley names where it belongs if the every do add a round-a-about at 108 and king george they should name its whalley's round-a-bout

metroXpress
Aug 16, 2009, 1:30 PM
to be honest i dont think i mind the change of name i known so many people who have this thing with east whalley ring
which is stupid cause theres nothing really bad about

you will have to change your screen name by then...:haha:

Whalleyboy
Aug 17, 2009, 2:42 AM
i will never be central boy
i am a whalley boy born and raise!

REX
Aug 27, 2009, 2:46 AM
Does anyone know what is going on with the widening of 140? They have started to paint the lines near the new hospital and northbound is still only one lane. I thought it was going to be two, or is this just temporary while construction is going on?

WaxItYourself
Aug 27, 2009, 8:45 AM
Does anyone know what is going on with the widening of 140? They have started to paint the lines near the new hospital and northbound is still only one lane. I thought it was going to be two, or is this just temporary while construction is going on?

Well after looking at this map (http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/171AC16D-AEEB-4302-A49C-932BE8012152/47213/2009CapitalConstructionBook.pdf) it looks like they are only going to widen the sections between 96th and 100th avenues. That sucks I thought they were going to widen it further. Can't find anythign else on it though.

metroXpress
Aug 27, 2009, 10:44 PM
Any idea what the Surrey "Put Your Best Face Forward" thing is for? I saw a box at Nordel way/120th and there are ads in the papers too!

metroXpress
Aug 27, 2009, 10:45 PM
As for the E Whalley Ring Road, they can always put a sign that says: Heritage Marker- Historic E Whalley Ring Road.

They did that for Scott Road, Kennedy Road...etc.

Whalleyboy
Aug 28, 2009, 2:40 AM
whalley ring roads arent even where whalleys gas station was. personally i think the corner where it was should have some sort of heritage marker
the ring roads arent even really that old to mark with historic markers

as for 140th i believe there working on it in steps first 96th to 100th for this year then next year hopefully they'll be bale to get enough room to build it from 100th to 104 and etc till they get to 112th
also keep in mind we have budget of how much to spend on road work and there is alot of major road work going on in surrey

also traffic was a joke today with 152 street closed

WaxItYourself
Aug 28, 2009, 3:52 AM
next year hopefully they'll be bale to get enough room to build it from 100th to 104 and etc till they get to 112th

I certainly hope so. The sidewalks in that section absolutely suck. On one side of the road there is no sidewalk. Hopefully with these new extensions and the new Outpatient hospital going into the area there will be a lot more interests in this section because parts of it are still just bush and trees. I use to go for a run around the block every now and then and ran through the area. If a car comes by I'm afraid of getting hit once in awhile.

usog
Aug 28, 2009, 5:21 AM
Just a random question, is the rooftop of the SFU Surrey tower open to access? I swear if they put an observation deck there it would be pretty nice...

Whalleyboy
Aug 30, 2009, 4:09 AM
not that i know of but i have found pictures in the past taken from the top.
the views from the picture i've seen are amazing

metroXpress
Aug 31, 2009, 4:12 PM
they should build a observation deck and make it free for the public :P

mr.A
Sep 3, 2009, 2:39 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2625/3883337874_50bfd23950.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2546/3882548605_436b278738.jpg

Whalleyboy
Sep 8, 2009, 3:59 AM
i dont know if anyone remembers awhile back there was talk about a round-a-bout at 88th ave and king gorge.
well anyways looks like that not the way they are going to go now.
instead there answer was

Summary: 84 Avenue from KGH to 140 Street is the top priority project and 128 Street: 108 Avenue to KGH is the second priority missing road link.
http://surrey.fileprosite.com/FileStorage/45B5A4F2FD2242108E7C2FACCDD6DFEF-MIN%20TC%202009%2007%2021.pdf
theres the link to where it is said

if anyone is curious as to what it might look like there was an older file from 2007 on this extension here it is
its on page 11
http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/D4B5A5ED-EC05-415F-A186-841974C0F17B/47995/Open_84AveExtension.pdf

personally i am glad they arent going with the round-a-bout

metroXpress
Sep 8, 2009, 4:12 PM
^ yes, round-a-bouts wouldn't work on busy streets like King George and 88th.

Glad to hear that they are working on 84th....that would improve the traffic volume on 88th.

CoryHolmes
Sep 8, 2009, 6:12 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that "West Central City Ring Road" is a bit too much of a mouthful to be a viable street name?

Whalleyboy
Sep 8, 2009, 11:32 PM
yeah i really am glad to see 84th is gonna be done
i hope down the line they look at putting more work into 80th too

also i dont mind the thought of one being at 108 and king George once they finish the widening of 140th st and 112ave

and i dont mind the sound of east and west city centre road
they should take out the ring in it

Whalleyboy
Sep 9, 2009, 1:42 AM
so i drove by holland park i notice they put in a new statue by the new entrance

Whalleyboy
Sep 9, 2009, 3:58 AM
so i just came across this
http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/AFC59E7E-A948-46E8-9421-9B7BB9372FCA/0/REZONING_IN_PROCESS.pdf
some things i found intresting on there was
a 17 story medical office which is from aug 12 2009
and berezan is looking at rezoning his land so he can build on it he did it on july 30 2009

WaxItYourself
Sep 9, 2009, 4:03 AM
so i drove by holland park i notice they put in a new statue by the new entrance

I just walked by there a few days ago. I've been waiting for them to put up that statue for a long time now. It is suppose to be something to do with firefighters.

Whalleyboy
Sep 9, 2009, 4:14 AM
i'll try and jump by tomorrow and get a picture

CoryHolmes
Sep 10, 2009, 7:02 AM
It's good that Berazen Towers are coming along. I swear (on a stack *this* tall) that I'll do whatever is needed to buy a unit in that complex when it's released. Who's with me?

And the Hollande Park statue is a firefighter squatting down with two small children near him. As to the whos and whats it signifies, I don't know.

WaxItYourself
Sep 11, 2009, 10:08 PM
Here is an article on the statue that was recently put up on Holland Park:

Veteran firefighter the face of the Surrey Fire Service

By Dan Ferguson - Surrey North Delta Leader

When firefighter Jim Blom was asked if he wanted to be the model for a statue commemorating the men and women of the Surrey Fire Service, the 18-year veteran thought Deputy Chief Jon Caviglia was joking.

Blom didn’t realize Caviglia was serious until they had a second meeting and the offer was renewed.

Caviglia explained that the Korean-Canadian Blom would be a good reflection of the multicultural nature of the Surrey Fire Service.

“I was actually very flattered,” Blom said.

“I feel that something like this is usually reserved for people who are well-respected in their field.”

The result was a trip to Victoria, to the Art Form sculpture studio, where a team of artists, led by studio owner Bill Johnson, took a mould of Blom’s face along with a series of photographs.

The completed statue shows Blom in full turnout gear kneeling with two children.

The kids are not based on any real-life people.

The statue, made of a special kind of high-density concrete treated to look like metal, was to be unveiled Friday in Surrey’s new Holland Park.

The event has been timed to coincide with the annual 9/11 memorial that remembers the New York firefighters and police killed in the terrorist attack that destroyed the two World Trade Center buildings.

The statue is meant to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the union that represents Surrey’s professional firefighters, which was formed in 1957 – a time when the service was almost entirely volunteer except for a few full-time staffers at scattered halls.

The Surrey firefighters raise $100,000 a year for charitable initiatives that include a meal program for local students.

Caviglia says the statue is going up two years after the actual anniversary because it was important to pick a good location, and it was worth waiting until it could be placed in a prominent location in the new park.

“We wanted to do it right.”

Among the crowd expected to attend the unveiling was the 49-year-old Blom and his wife.

It was to be their very first look at the statue.

Source (http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/surreyleader/news/59049152.html)

mr.A
Sep 12, 2009, 12:13 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2502/3911127746_55e160d097.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2475/3911130898_bce4c71fa1.jpg

theQ
Sep 12, 2009, 9:49 AM
It's interesting they're building a 17 story medical building on KGH, I noticed that the address for the proposal is the site of the present-day Knight&Day restaurant. I wonder if the Knight&Day will close, or if they'll move to the ground level retail space proposed in the 17 story tower.

CoryHolmes
Sep 12, 2009, 3:32 PM
It's interesting they're building a 17 story medical building on KGH, I noticed that the address for the proposal is the site of the present-day Knight&Day restaurant. I wonder if the Knight&Day will close, or if they'll move to the ground level retail space proposed in the 17 story tower.

Outstanding. Now when you get a heart attack there (either from the food or the bill) there will be instant medical help! :tup:

Whalleyboy
Sep 12, 2009, 5:28 PM
that place is probably gonna close down. it never looks busy and from what i hear its been getting worse every year.

i really hope the 17 story building gets built there. It could fill in the gap between infinity and central when you look from down king george

Whalleyboy
Sep 13, 2009, 7:58 AM
so nothing that big for news. Just thought i'd share:)
So it looks like come December Surrey is getting new bus shelters. about time eh?
heres a photo i got of one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/whalley_boy/newbusshelters2.jpg
picture is from my photobucket

go_leafs_go02
Sep 13, 2009, 4:39 PM
Let's hope the glass stays in this time around!

CoryHolmes
Sep 13, 2009, 10:34 PM
Let's hope the glass stays in this time around!

Not a chance. Too many people have such poor impulse control that they can't stop themselves from breaking it 'because it's fun'.

mr.A
Sep 14, 2009, 3:20 AM
what about using non breakable glass. cheaper over the long term!

Metro-One
Sep 14, 2009, 3:22 AM
And with that film over top of it so etchings and other vandalism aren't permanent.

Honestly the lack of respect in our culture is disgusting.

mr.x
Sep 14, 2009, 3:26 AM
^ lol, there's no such thing as non-breakable. Even then, they could scratch it or spray graffiti all over it.

It's a problem here in the Vancouver westside, and i would imagine it would be even more of a problem over at the eastside. The maintenance costs are so high that the city didn't even bother installing glass walls for some shelters, just the overhead glass cover an the ad wall.

I will say though that the Surrey bus shelter design looks like it will function much better than the Vancouver shelters.

We can't have nice things. :(

gillty
Sep 14, 2009, 7:25 AM
^ lol, there's no such thing as non-breakable. Even then, they could scratch it or spray graffiti all over it.

It's a problem here in the Vancouver westside, and i would imagine it would be even more of a problem over at the eastside. The maintenance costs are so high that the city didn't even bother installing glass walls for some shelters, just the overhead glass cover an the ad wall.

I will say though that the Surrey bus shelter design looks like it will function much better than the Vancouver shelters.

We can't have nice things. :(
its actually not bad in the collingwood/renfrew area mostly just DIRTY glass and tonnes of liter + the shelters suck and dont stop the wind or rain from hitting you

CoryHolmes
Sep 15, 2009, 11:04 PM
There's a lot of sewer work going on at 105th Ave and West Whalley, right beside the site where the next set of D'Cor low-rises were supposed to go.

Is there any chance that this work is exactly for that project or am I just dreaming again?

Whalleyboy
Sep 16, 2009, 12:10 AM
so in order to kill time i was looking around and i came across this

Civic Staging, Branding & Civic Beautification
Building wraps
Torch Relay flags
City 2010 Partner Olympic flags
Gateway signage
Transit shelters promotions
Street banners
Event staging (skyflags, large format site banners, kiosks, stage graphics, sponsor recognition, branded fencing, etc.)
Planning for a building wrap on the Central City office tower is underway with the graphic to be installed prior to September 18th. This will complement the Venue City identity prominent on the exterior of City Hall as well as the gateway signage with Venue City branding at major gateways to Surrey. Signage is also being installed at the Games Preparation Centre. A series of twelve 2010 large format advertising graphics have also been designed and are prepared for production for installation on up to 200 transit shelter panel locations along Surrey’s streets. The implementation of the transit shelter marketing materials will occur in conjunction with the implementation of the new street furniture contract to be awarded shortly. Banner designs are now completed for a series of six 2010 banners including promotion of the City’s Right To Play Surrey 2010 Challenge. Another 300 banners will be installed later in the fall to keep the imagery fresh closer to the Games. Extensive work has been completed related to the design of and operation of the City’s Celebration site during the Olympics. Most of the marketing and large format graphics and exhibition material used in the Canada Day and Fusion Festival celebrations will be re-used as part of the Celebration Site which to date includes 80 distinct marketing products branded with an Olympic theme.
just found this
http://www.surrey.sfu.ca/news/images/olympicnortheast.jpg
http://www.surrey.sfu.ca/news/images/olympicsoutheast.jpg
both images are from here http://www.surrey.sfu.ca/news/Olympicmakeover.html

metroXpress
Sep 16, 2009, 5:32 PM
^ wow....that would be excellent since the live celebration site would be in Holland Park.

WaxItYourself
Sep 17, 2009, 7:30 AM
I've learned of a few stores that have or will be coming to Surrey Place Mall. One of the new stores that has already opened is right beside T&T Market. It's an asain style furniture store. There are also two new places to eat coming to the mall. One of them that has a sign up is Beard Papa's. They sell desserts, they have famous cream puffs. A new place to eat and drink is coming to the very center of the mall as well. I believe it will be a booth located in the center of the main central square. Starbucks is moving in there.

SpongeG
Sep 17, 2009, 7:50 PM
finally starbucks! yay

LotusLand
Sep 17, 2009, 9:17 PM
finally starbucks! yay

Starbucks :yuck: Blenz is way better in terms of quality. You can't touch the Blenz Hot chocolate and Teas in comparison to Sbux.

theQ
Sep 17, 2009, 10:29 PM
I'm quite excited about Starbucks moving into Central City Mall! I don't even drink coffee. In my opinion, the Starbucks move brings a vote of confidence to the mall, they are known for choosing very good locations with high potential, and if they've chosen Central City mall, that gives the mall a good vote of confidence. It may even convince other retailers that have been taking a wait-and-see approach into moving into the mall as well. If the Starbucks opens up in a central booth type location in the middle, then hopefully it'll help fill up the branch of the mall in between there and Urban Behaviour.

Whalleyboy
Sep 17, 2009, 10:51 PM
i really wish the toys-r-us would move in to central from there current location. might actually help them out a little more too. also this could open up there old spot for price smart to move there. opening up there current spot for better development. and then some how if we could just convince canadian tire to move out then that whole area could be redeveloped.
but then again those are just my dreams=(

CoryHolmes
Sep 17, 2009, 10:51 PM
Starbucks :yuck: Blenz is way better in terms of quality. You can't touch the Blenz Hot chocolate and Teas in comparison to Sbux.

+1. Nothing compares to real milk belgian chocolate in your hot chocolate. Of course, I tend to spend most of my time ogling the women behind the counter and less on how they make my drink :notacrook:

metroXpress
Sep 18, 2009, 2:20 AM

There is one in the SFU Surrey lobby....actually 2 of them. One on the mall level as well!

metroXpress
Sep 18, 2009, 2:21 AM
i really wish the toys-r-us would move in to central from there current location. might actually help them out a little more too. also this could open up there old spot for price smart to move there. opening up there current spot for better development. and then some how if we could just convince canadian tire to move out then that whole area could be redeveloped.

I've been waiting for this to happen for years! I am sure that one day, it will move into the Central City.

hollywoodnorth
Sep 18, 2009, 2:54 AM
I thought Starbucks was still in a NEW LOCATION freeze........good to see its over.

Whalleyboy
Sep 18, 2009, 2:59 AM
i hope it will soon i know that half the time when i look at that toys-r-us its always dead

metroXpress
Sep 18, 2009, 5:48 PM
The Walmart in Guildford will undergo a renovation. It will become a Supercentre and construction is due to start in March 2010.

dreambrother808
Sep 18, 2009, 6:25 PM

Yes but those are the only areas at which Blenz succeeds. Starbucks wins when it comes to actual coffee, that is unless you have a Tim Horton's palate.

theQ
Sep 18, 2009, 6:28 PM
They have started installing the new Olympic Wrap on the Central City Tower. I took a few pictures on my way to Fresgo Inn this morning (for breakfast).

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/krohnk/CCtower2.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/krohnk/CCtower3.jpg

WaxItYourself
Sep 18, 2009, 6:33 PM

The city has plans to make Canadian Tire move out eventually. If you look at some of their past road construction plans they have a continuous rode right from the skytrain station area connecting to the road on the other side of Canadian Tire where Fitness World is. Of course those central plans have changed somewhat since I saw that but hopefully they still have that in the works.

WaxItYourself
Sep 18, 2009, 6:40 PM
They have started installing the new Olympic Wrap on the Central City Tower. I took a few pictures on my way to Fresgo Inn this morning (for breakfast).

Ugh the Fresgo Inn. That entire complex on that part of King George Highway is an eyesore. I know they are eventually going to tear it down and put a road right through from the Surrey Place entrance to the road on the opposite side I just wish they'd hurry up and do it.

theQ
Sep 18, 2009, 8:25 PM
Since moving to Central City a few months ago, I've tried to visit all the restaurants in the neighbourhood. Fresco Inn is pretty good, the food is good and the portions are huge. Having said that, the atmosphere leaves much to be desired and the area definitely needs a facelift or a bulldoze!

As far as my breakfast was concerned, it wasn't the greatest for the price. I'd recommend the Garden Bistro at the Compass Point Inn, the Round Up beside the TD bank or the newly renovated Ricki's.

LotusLand
Sep 18, 2009, 9:29 PM
Yes but those are the only areas at which Blenz succeeds. Starbucks wins when it comes to actual coffee, that is unless you have a Tim Horton's palate.

I don't drink coffee so I can't say. But Teas and Hot chocolates BLENZ FTW :notacrook:

CoryHolmes
Sep 18, 2009, 10:03 PM
Ugh the Fresgo Inn. That entire complex on that part of King George Highway is an eyesore. I know they are eventually going to tear it down and put a road right through from the Surrey Place entrance to the road on the opposite side I just wish they'd hurry up and do it.

They need to do that with that whole commercial block from 100th to 102/104. Nothing screams "suburb" quite like block of strip malls.

CoryHolmes
Sep 18, 2009, 10:06 PM
As far as my breakfast was concerned, it wasn't the greatest for the price. I'd recommend the Garden Bistro at the Compass Point Inn, the Round Up beside the TD bank or the newly renovated Ricki's.

Fresgo's isn't bad for the prices they charge, but you're spot on about the atmosphere. If you like ethnic foods, I'd also reccomend Yokohama Japanese restaraunt, which is on East Whalley Ring Road, just south of 104th ave. I go for their all-you-can-eat menu and end up just :slob: :slob: :slob: . Walking home after a dinner there is... "fun".

theQ
Sep 18, 2009, 10:23 PM
If you like ethnic foods, I'd also reccomend Yokohama Japanese restaraunt, which is on East Whalley Ring Road, just south of 104th ave.

It's a good tip, I'll try it for sure!

Whalleyboy
Sep 18, 2009, 11:04 PM
The city has plans to make Canadian Tire move out eventually. If you look at some of their past road construction plans they have a continuous rode right from the skytrain station area connecting to the road on the other side of Canadian Tire where Fitness World is. Of course those central plans have changed somewhat since I saw that but hopefully they still have that in the works.

oh i know that
i am a central city growth nut:haha:

also i messaged toys-r-us about moving there location to central city mall they thought it was an interesting idea

now if only someone else could do it they might take the idea even more to thought

Whalleyboy
Sep 18, 2009, 11:06 PM
also i would really love to see Fresgo's get a street frontage place so more people can notice it.

CoryHolmes
Sep 18, 2009, 11:13 PM
The only problem with moving TRU to Cental City is does that mall have the physical space for it? AFAIK, only small bays/locations are vacant right now.

Whalleyboy
Sep 18, 2009, 11:18 PM
there alot of room between bed bath and beyond and urban behavior left

WaxItYourself
Sep 18, 2009, 11:53 PM
They need to do that with that whole commercial block from 100th to 102/104. Nothing screams "suburb" quite like block of strip malls.

I agree. That strip mall with London Drugs in it looks fairly decent though. They are actually building a new financial place right across the street from A&W there in the Canadian Tire parking lot. They just put up the walls this morning. Unfortunately it's only going to be 1 story :|

I actually have that whole area planned out myself what I'd like it to look like lol.

WaxItYourself
Sep 18, 2009, 11:55 PM
oh i know that
i am a central city growth nut:haha:

also i messaged toys-r-us about moving there location to central city mall they thought it was an interesting idea

now if only someone else could do it they might take the idea even more to thought

I've actually talked to a number of companies in the area about moving to the mall. One of them being the comic book store in that craptacular mall where the RBC is. They said that they didn't want to go by mall hours unfortunately. Hopefully they change their mind when they realize that that whole area is set to be completely redone.

theQ
Sep 19, 2009, 4:43 AM
They could rent a space inside T & T Supermarket, I'm sure that I saw one available, and they're open every night until 9pm... Maybe not the prime location that they'd like, but I can't see it being that pricey either. (They could always get a bit of Manga going).

Whalleyboy
Sep 19, 2009, 5:22 AM
put it on the other side of winners or future shop there open later then the rest of the mall

metroXpress
Sep 20, 2009, 8:24 PM
They could rent a space inside T & T Supermarket, I'm sure that I saw one available, and they're open every night until 9pm... Maybe not the prime location that they'd like, but I can't see it being that pricey either. (They could always get a bit of Manga going).

^ yea, that was originally planned for a restuarnt....but not any more

metroXpress
Sep 20, 2009, 8:25 PM
Also, there will be a new Starbucks and CIBC at the intersection of 120th and 88th. (a new development called Kennedy Heights, I believe.) It's near the Vancouver Sun/Provice press

hollywoodnorth
Sep 21, 2009, 1:25 AM
Another New Starbucks?

SpongeG
Sep 21, 2009, 8:27 PM
yes that area needs a starbucks - its almost ready to open - passed it last week - its at scott road and nordel way basically

Whalleyboy
Sep 23, 2009, 5:53 AM
so i just noticed they update there blueways and greenways masterplan maps
they show concpets of what they want
heres green way
http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/225EE051-B4F0-49D5-B989-5B2A20D873C0/50381/alrmapwithblowup2.pdf
and here is the blue way
http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/B3C863A7-54BB-48B1-94E6-6811DED93E89/50269/blueways.pdf
heres some info on the blue way
1. Surrey Floating Nature Trail--providing an interpretation based and controlled paddling experience on the lower Nicomekl River, with enhancements to separate paddlers and other boaters from sensitive waterfowl areas and seasons.
2. Serpentine Paddling Circuit--Providing a loop circuit for novice and exercise-oriented paddlers in the central Serpentine Valley.
3. Fraser River Challenge--Providing a route for experienced paddlers from Surrey Bend to Brownsville Bar, as a part of a regional blueway paddling system throughout the Fraser Valley.

GMasterAres
Sep 25, 2009, 12:58 AM
so i just came across this
http://www.surrey.ca/NR/rdonlyres/AFC59E7E-A948-46E8-9421-9B7BB9372FCA/0/REZONING_IN_PROCESS.pdf
some things i found intresting on there was
a 17 story medical office which is from aug 12 2009
and berezan is looking at rezoning his land so he can build on it he did it on july 30 2009

9677 KGH is the Knight & Day restaurant lot I believe. Interesting.

metroXpress
Sep 25, 2009, 2:21 AM
yes that area needs a starbucks - its almost ready to open - passed it last week - its at scott road and nordel way basically

Didn't quite like the development...compared to the existing one across the street. The parking spaces are also far away from the shops....

Whalleyboy
Sep 25, 2009, 2:33 AM
Funding announced for new City Centre Library!

Premier Gordon Campbell announced 173 stimulus projects (http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2009PREM0038-000403.htm) across the province, and a brand new Central Library in Surrey’s City Centre was one of the many selected for funding.

The $30 million project will be cost-shared three ways between the federal, provincial, and municipal governments.

According to the Surrey Leader (http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/surreyleader/news/61232557.html), the Library will be an estimated 65,000 sq. ft. and located near Surrey’s new city hall and Central City tower. At such a size, the new Central library would more than double the existing Central branch in Guildford, which, with two storeys, is 25,000 sq. ft. The Cloverdale, Fleetwood, and Newton branches are around 14,000 sq. ft., while the newest branch, Semiahmoo, is 22,000 sq. ft.

The massive Central Library in downtown Vancouver, which takes up an entire city block, and is 9 storeys tall, features 398,000 sq. ft.

The Surrey Leader also reports that construction is slated to start soon.

It is unknown at this time whether the library will be part of the Civic Centre development currently in the design stages, or a completely separate project.

The cost-sharing agreement will save the City millions of dollars, as it will no longer bear the entire cost of the project. In its Five-Year Financial Plan, the City has estimated it will spend $136.4 million on the various Civic Centre projects.
from civic surrey

metroXpress
Sep 25, 2009, 2:36 AM
^ Yes....finally a new place for books :)

I hope that this will be part of the City Centre project and will have an interesting design. Will it become the main branch?

Whalleyboy
Sep 25, 2009, 2:47 AM
so i found this an interesting article
gotta say i'm in favour of the city centre one

Two more casinos proposed for Surrey

Surrey now has three applications for gaming facilities along the King George Highway corridor – including plans for two major destination casinos.

City council was just getting ready to consider an application for a community gaming facility in Newton, which according to a Leader straw poll conducted earlier this year is slated to fall on a split vote.

The application to perform $25 million in upgrades to the old bingo hall and mall at 72 Avenue and King George Highway is still expected to appear before council this year.

Now, council may have two other applications to consider, both major destination casinos, and both in keeping with the city’s current gaming policy.

The first proposal is located near the Days Inn at 9850 King George Highway, and could become part of an 80-storey development being pitched by developer Ralph Berezan. Depending on the scope, the project could be valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

The second destination casino application is being brought forward by builder Bob Cheema, who plans on a convention centre, hotel and casino at 8 Avenue and 168 Street.

Out of the three, some councillors are speaking favourably about the Cheema application because of the convention centre aspect, its comparative distance from housing, and the proximity to the U.S. border.

The site is located on a 24-acre parcel of land and is surrounded by Highway 99, a park, and agricultural land reserve.

Coun. Tom Gill isn’t surprised by the number of casino applications currently before the city. He’s been hearing from the province that casino licences won’t be awarded readily. He’s also heard that the Boardwalk application in Newton has an advantage with Victoria because “they are already in the game, as it were.”

He said he likes the Berezan application because of its design, but he’s reluctant to approve a large casino so close to Simon Fraser University.

“The possibility of having SFU, city hall, shopping along with (the casino) doesn’t sit too well,” he said.

Gill has already said he’s opposed to the Boardwalk application in Newton.

“I think any gaming operation that comes into Surrey needs to leverage another significant city objective,” Gill said, adding that might be a five-star hotel or convention centre.

Coun. Barinder Rasode, who is also opposed to the Boardwalk application in Newton, said the B.C. Lottery Corp. would send out requests for proposal and choose a site on its merits.

The bingo hall application is for slots only, Rasode said, while the other two are full destination-style casinos with accompanying hotels.

Cheema’s proposal is valued at $100 million, and includes a 200-suite hotel and 800-seat convention centre along with the casino.

He told The Leader on Wednesday that even if the casino application is rejected, he plans to go ahead with the hotel and convention centre.

Mayor Dianne Watts hasn’t seen the specific proposals, but said she would like to see a casino in Surrey on the scale of Richmond’s River Rock.

“Personally, I’m not a gambler, but I like to see shows, theatre and music, and I think that’s one piece that’s certainly missing in Surrey.”

Minister responsible for gaming Rich Coleman told The Leader in early March he’d be reticent to award more casino applications.

“I think we’re pretty close to where we need to be,” he said at the time.

metroXpress
Sep 25, 2009, 3:01 AM
The first proposal is located near the Days Inn at 9850 King George Highway, and could become part of an 80-storey development being pitched by developer Ralph Berezan.

:skyscraper: :skyscraper: :skyscraper: :skyscraper: :skyscraper: :skyscraper: :skyscraper: :skyscraper:

WOW!

Whalleyboy
Sep 25, 2009, 3:04 AM
i think a casino would be much better then the mall they orginally were planing

Spork
Sep 25, 2009, 5:59 AM

Why not do both?

I don't like the other two locations. I'm not sure what the existing casino in Newton is like, but I'd bet that it is pretty seedy. I don't like the 8th ave @ 168 street proposal due to its proximity (inclusion?) to the ALR, as well as the promotion of sprawl across highway 99 in South Surrey/White Rock. I don't see the problem with having a casino close to a university and shopping. University students aren't stupid, and don't have any money to gamble anyways! Centralization of services is a good thing, not a bad thing.

God forbid a university be close to shopping and entertainment! Next thing you know, they'll start trying to put pubs on university campuses! All universities should be far away on mountains and in forests!

Whalleyboy
Sep 25, 2009, 6:04 AM
dont forget it would also have a awesome transit connection
making it more likely to pull people in

SpongeG
Sep 25, 2009, 6:34 AM
at least it would help spur the 80 storey development!!!

WaxItYourself
Sep 25, 2009, 6:36 AM
Why not do both?

I don't like the other two locations. I'm not sure what the existing casino in Newton is like, but I'd bet that it is pretty seedy. I don't like the 8th ave @ 168 street proposal due to its proximity (inclusion?) to the ALR, as well as the promotion of sprawl across highway 99 in South Surrey/White Rock. I don't see the problem with having a casino close to a university and shopping. University students aren't stupid, and don't have any money to gamble anyways! Centralization of services is a good thing, not a bad thing.

God forbid a university be close to shopping and entertainment! Next thing you know, they'll start trying to put pubs on university campuses! All universities should be far away on mountains and in forests!

I think the existing casino is actually a bingo hall is it not?

Whalleyboy
Sep 25, 2009, 6:39 AM
yeah it is and it use to be a casino before too i believe

CoryHolmes
Sep 25, 2009, 3:38 PM

What they need to do is to build the Berezan mall, then connect it underground and over top of KGH with Central City Mall. Give Metrotown a run for it's money as THE shopping place to be :)

I'm a big fan of almost anything that'll help get the Berezan complex moving along, and a casino would fit in nicely with the mulit-star hotel that'll be a part of that complex.

theQ
Sep 25, 2009, 7:01 PM
Here are some updated pictures of the Olympic wrapping of the Central City Tower.

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/krohnk/CCtowerS25.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/krohnk/CCtowerST.jpg

officedweller
Sep 25, 2009, 9:32 PM
Nice!

SFUVancouver
Sep 25, 2009, 10:00 PM
^ I thought that was a render at first.

theQ
Sep 26, 2009, 2:09 AM
I've been watching the progress every day. If they continue at the same rate, they'll probably be done this side by next Wednesday, then hopefully they'll start the other side right away. It's looking pretty good - it would look better if Central City 2 was already built and wrapped in Olympic decor as well...

Whalleyboy
Sep 26, 2009, 2:38 AM
i think it would be nice to add something to station tower too

theQ
Sep 28, 2009, 6:17 AM
i think it would be nice to add something to station tower too

That's a great idea - they should have olympic wrap around the Gateway station tower, especially since it's almost right beside the new olympic training facility. I wonder if it's been suggested yet to the city...

SpongeG
Oct 7, 2009, 4:29 AM
I guess the sex in the woods people are happy

Surrey rejects Bear Creek Park road

City councillors in Surrey, B.C. voted against pushing a new four-lane road through Bear Creek Park, after several hundred opponents of the plan showed up at Monday night's council meeting.

The vocal crowd filled the council chambers and spilled into the adjoining foyer, prompting Coun. Tom Gill to reflect on the public mood before the final vote.

"My heart changed earlier in the evening," said Gill, referring to a previous council discussion of the issue. "I was described as a lion going into the meeting and coming out as a lamb."

City staff proposed the road through the park to ease congestion at the nearby intersection of 88th Avenue and King George Highway, east of Vancouver.

But opponents of the road said it would threaten a salmon-bearing stream and reduce habitat for the birds and animals that call the two-hectare park home.

In the end, councillors elected to reject the new road by a vote of eight to one.

"We need to find different solutions for this problem and take everything into consideration," said Mayor Dianne Watts, who opposed the plan from the beginning, despite the staff recommendation.

Monday was the fourth time the concept for a road at 84th Avenue and King George Highway has come to council. Opponents say the urban green space needs to be protected permanently, so the idea won't surface again.

"We are happy about the decision, but we are disappointed that this matter has not been laid to rest," said Sayaka Nelson, a member of Friends of Bear Creek Park.

The group plans to hold a community meeting Oct. 16, Nelson said.

City councillors in Surrey, B.C. voted against pushing a new four-lane road through Bear Creek Park, after several hundred opponents of the plan showed up at Monday night's council meeting.

The vocal crowd filled the council chambers and spilled into the adjoining foyer, prompting Coun. Tom Gill to reflect on the public mood before the final vote.

"My heart changed earlier in the evening," said Gill, referring to a previous council discussion of the issue. "I was described as a lion going into the meeting and coming out as a lamb."

City staff proposed the road through the park to ease congestion at the nearby intersection of 88th Avenue and King George Highway, east of Vancouver.

But opponents of the road said it would threaten a salmon-bearing stream and reduce habitat for the birds and animals that call the two-hectare park home.

In the end, councillors elected to reject the new road by a vote of eight to one.

"We need to find different solutions for this problem and take everything into consideration," said Mayor Dianne Watts, who opposed the plan from the beginning, despite the staff recommendation.

Monday was the fourth time the concept for a road at 84th Avenue and King George Highway has come to council. Opponents say the urban green space needs to be protected permanently, so the idea won't surface again.

"We are happy about the decision, but we are disappointed that this matter has not been laid to rest," said Sayaka Nelson, a member of Friends of Bear Creek Park.

The group plans to hold a community meeting Oct. 16, Nelson said.

Spork
Oct 7, 2009, 5:27 AM
Excellent news. It sucks that 84th has such potential for a major through-road. It is amazing that there isn't a major road for 16 blocks (Surrey-sized) south of 88th! No wonder it is so busy. The next best option involves a massive expropriation to extend 80th ave, but that would cost tens of millions.

hollywoodnorth
Oct 7, 2009, 7:44 AM
Excellent news. It sucks that 84th has such potential for a major through-road. It is amazing that there isn't a major road for 16 blocks (Surrey-sized) south of 88th! No wonder it is so busy. The next best option involves a massive expropriation to extend 80th ave, but that would cost tens of millions.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=surrey+bc&ie=UTF8&ei=YkXMSvL2DIHiswO357GGAQ&hq=&hnear=Surrey,+Greater+Vancouver+Regional+District,+British+Columbia,+Canada&ll=49.148254,-122.816763&spn=0.030485,0.092182&t=h&z=14

that area really gets a mess in rush hour........84 makes the MOST sense though.......also the looks of it 80th can only be extended between King George and 140th......

Whalleyboy
Oct 7, 2009, 7:55 AM
i find it stupid how people were so against it cause now if they make and under pass of 88th it makes a huge gap where people will just fly down king george.
smart move idiots....sure this is gonna be the safer move for all of us....

Personally id' rather see more money put to 80th and built out anyways. Sure it will cost alot more but its better since its between both 72nd and 88th. Also it goes all the way out to 200th street. also if i saw right on the news i saw something about 80th being expended to hwy 91

CoryHolmes
Oct 7, 2009, 8:11 AM
I suppose if it were needed badly enough, they could make it a tunnel and go under the park.

Whalleyboy
Oct 7, 2009, 8:14 AM
yeah right they whine how its damaging things still
man should have start a pro 84 extension to fight those idiots against it

oh well just gonna have to keep up hope surrey will work on extending 80th now

CoryHolmes
Oct 7, 2009, 11:41 AM
I can't really call them all "NIMBY morons" since I agree with part of their sentiment: leave the park alone unless it's really needed.

nickinacan
Oct 7, 2009, 2:53 PM
I am a bit on the fence on this one here you have two scenarios:

1) You put through 84th through the park, which naturally leads from Nordel Way to Fraser Highway. You fill in the gaps which means expropriating parts of Newton and Bear Creek Park. This corridor is mainly residential, which I do not agree making a main street. You piss off environmentalists and residents with this option.

2) You put through 80th, which does not connect to Nordel but would naturally lead (almost) all the way to Highway One. There are HUGE gaps in Surrey long this location and it is mainly residential. This route also goes over Bear Creek and the greenway. You again piss off environmentalists and residents.

I honestly think that the best solution to the situation is to upgrade 88th. It is a main street and should be expanded to handle the capacity. Unfortunately there is no real east-west highway route north of Highway 10 (56th Ave) and 88th has naturally filled the void and has been upgraded over the years to meet capacity (88th to Nordel realignment). Upgrade it to 3 lanes each way, including separate left/right turn lanes and advanced warnings for light changes and you will make it much safer for everyone.

cabotp
Oct 7, 2009, 4:10 PM
I do wonder when the SFPR is finished. If the traffic on 88th will be a bad as it is now. Considering once the SFPR is completed you won't have to go up nordel and along 88th to get to the 152, 176, and Hwy 1.

In fact if Surrey is smart they will remove the truck route status of 88th and force the bigger trucks onto the SFPR.