PDA

View Full Version : Calgarian gunning for astronaut corps

Distill3d
Mar 17, 2009, 2:50 PM
Calgarian gunning for astronaut corps
BY NICK LEWIS, CALGARY HERALDMARCH 17, 2009 8:02 AM

Like any boy growing up in Calgary, Jameel Janjua played street hockey in his Braeside neighbourhood, religiously watched Top Gun and dreamed of flying in space. But while the rest of us continue to dream, Janjua can soon see his take flight.

The CF-18 Hornet combat pilot is among 16 candidates across Canada vying for two available spots on Canada's Astronaut Corps. If he is selected, he could live out a lifelong dream of supporting, training and flying on international space missions with the Canadian Space Agency.

"It is, quite literally, the chance of a lifetime," said the 30-year-old who now lives in Alouette, Que. "How infrequently in the history of astroculture in this country has an opportunity such as this presented itself?"

Only twice before, in fact.

So when the CSA launched only its third National Astronaut Recruitment Campaign in May 2008, Janjua and 5,350 other Canadians applied to meet the demand of astronaut training and space flight. The finalists were announced Monday.

The elite field of 16 that has been whittled down since includes doctors, engineers, university professors, fighter pilots, a zoologist and even a former Olympic kayaker, representing communities from coast to coast. The group consists of 15 men and one woman.

"The top 16 candidates rep-resent an incredibly accomplished, well-rounded and diverse group of Canadians," CSA president and former astronaut Steve MacLean said in a news release.

The field of 16 includes a number of candidates with ties to Alberta.

Kenneth Welch, 41,was born and raised in Cardston, and is now a senior researcher in nanotechnology working at Uppsala University in Sweden. His mother Arlene Welch said it doesn't surprise her to hear that her hardworking son has made it this far.

"He's always been inquisitive, he's always wanted to build things," she said. "We always knew he was going to do something big, he just seemed the type. And we're very proud of him and we know he's very happy."

Three other CF-18 fighter pilots with Alberta connections also made the cut. They include Jeremy Hansen and Stuart Rogerson, both from Cold Lake, and Joshua Kutryk, who was born in Fort Saskatchewan. In addition, Geoffrey Steeves, an assistant physics professor at the University of Victoria, was raised in Edmonton.

"Canada is world leader in space exploration and space robotics. This diverse and highly qualified field is a testament to the skill and innovation of our citizens," said Industry Minister Tony Clement.

The finalists have already undergone tests in robotics and flight operation, as well as physical and survival tests in extreme conditions to evaluate their performance and problem solving in high-stress environments. The agency also screened applicants with a series of medical exams, and the remaining candidates expect another round of the same as their numbers thin.

The two chosen candidates will be announced in two months.

"You look at what the process entails and you quickly realize you can't do this overnight," Janjua said. "I can't study for an aptitude test or a physical fitness test or medical tests. It sounds cliche, but the preparation is your adult life."

Both Janjua and Welch al-ready have accomplished adult lives. Janjua has a bachelor of engineering from Royal Military College, and a master's of science in aeronautics and astronautics from the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Welch, meanwhile, graduated from the University of British Columbia with a bachelor of applied science in engineering physics, and a PhD in nanotechnology from Uppsala University in Sweden.

The flight simulator instructor also boasts 11 years of experience as a military pilot, with combat missions in Kosovo.

"He just keeps surprising us with the things he does, so we wouldn't be surprised if he does make it," said Arlene.

Despite their impressive credentials, there is still only a one in eight chance that any of the candidates could ever get to see the Earth from space.

"I've wanted to be a fighter pilot since I was five and I've wanted to be an astronaut since I was 10," said Janjua. "And speaking to the group, it seems that that is pretty universal. So if any of the candidates told you they weren't nervous at this point, they wouldn't be telling you the whole truth.

"But by virtue of our careers we're used to a certain amount of pressure, whether it be in academia to make the cut or in the air as a test pilot."

nlewis@tHeHerald.Canwest.Com

source (http://www.calgaryherald.com/Technology/Calgarian+gunning+astronaut+corps/1397573/story.html)

I don't know about you guys, but i think this is awesome news for Calgary! few people get to go into space, but to have a local possibly selected as one of the few is amazing!

240glt
Mar 17, 2009, 2:57 PM
You know, the article mentions that there are two candidates from Cold Lake and one from the Edmonton metro region as well. But hey, don't put down your pom poms!

Distill3d
Mar 17, 2009, 3:27 PM
LOL gotta remember, it was in the Calgary Herald...

freeweed
Mar 17, 2009, 4:35 PM
It also says that this dude now lives in Quebec. And someone from Cardston as well. I think Ft. Sask is also noted.

How dare you only mention Calgary! :rolleyes:

Tobyoby
Mar 17, 2009, 5:45 PM
Didn't Robert Thirsk (former astronaut) have some tie to Calgary also?

Distill3d
Mar 17, 2009, 5:59 PM
i know Chris Hadfield was the parade marshal at the Calgary Stampede Parade once.

240glt
Mar 17, 2009, 6:00 PM
Alberta fighter pilots on short list to fly in space

The Albertans who hope to become the country's next astronauts have been thrown into burning buildings and frigid submarines and undergone a year of intense testing, just to get to this point.

Now, two Cold Lake fighter pilots are among sixteen short-listed to become this country's next two people in space.

A condensed-matter physicist raised in Edmonton, and a third CF-18 aviator born in Fort Saskatchewan are also in the running.

In February, the candidates gathered at a Halifax Navy facility to test their endurance as a team under extreme conditions.

The inside of a sub was flooded, and they were charged with plugging the leaks. Frigid water rose to their chests.

"I think we all had some form of hypothermia in my group," says Capt. Jeremy Hansen, a 33-year-old tactical fighter pilot based in Cold Lake. "It was as cold as I have ever been."

Then they were ushered into a room on fire. It was kind of like being inside a barbecue, Hansen says, and he and his team had to put out the flames.

"It is pretty intense," says Maj. Stuart Rogerson, 35, also from Cold Lake. "You get this right and you're successful, you could become an astronaut."

Rogerson has wanted to be one all his life. That only a small portion of the job is spent in space doesn't matter. The technical side excites him too. For both Rogerson and Hansen, this is a chance to be on the forward edge of technology.

"I can't think of anything more exciting than a career as an astronaut," Hansen says.

"Beyond the International Space Station, there's talk of going back to the moon, and further on to Mars."

Hansen and Rogerson fly in separate squadrons at the airbase, but attend the same church. Five other military men from across Canada have made the short list, and Rogerson knows them all from previous posts.

The other candidates are physicists, biologists, a mechanical engineer and a physician.

All 16 have undergone nearly a year of physical and psychological examinations to reach the final leg of the application process.

"They'll never select one person that has all the knowledge. They're trying to pick people they know can learn," Rogerson says. "You just do your best and hope that's what they're looking for."

In a January test in Montreal, they were briefed on the controls of the Canadarm, then put through a simulation.

"The controls of the simulator that we were given really only involved the use of two joystick controls, but they have three axis of motion," says Hansen, who adds that it was sort of like flying a jet.

The finalists include one woman and 15 men from coast to coast. They were selected from more than 5,351 online and screened applicants to the country's third National Astronaut Recruitment Campaign, launched last May.

"Canada is world leader in space exploration and space robotics. This diverse and highly qualified field is a testament to the skill and innovation of our citizens," said Industry Minister Tony Clement.

Also vying for the job is Geoffrey Steeves, a University of Victoria physics professor who was raised in Edmonton, and Joshua Kutryk, an Alouette, Que., tactical fighter pilot with the air force who was born in Fort Saskatchewan.

The other Canadians to reach the top 16 are: Matthew Bamsey of Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville, Que.; Desmond Brophy of Edwards, Calif.; Christopher Denny of Toronto; Peter Giles, of Halifax, N.S.; Allyson Hindle of Vancouver; Ryan Hunter of Boston, Mass.; Jameel Janjua of Alouette, Que.; Mark McCullins of Brighton, Ont.; David Saint-Jacques of Montreal; Kenneth Welch of Sigtuna, Sweden; Keith Wilson of Winnipeg; and Bruce Woodley of Palo Alto, Calif.

s211
Mar 17, 2009, 6:36 PM
And this is even worthy of posting on a real estate forum HOW?

Riise
Mar 17, 2009, 6:43 PM

And what time did you start drinking this morning? Last time I checked, this was a Skyscraper forum. However, I wouldn't want to overreact on something so trivial...

Distill3d
Mar 17, 2009, 6:43 PM

sorry its not as relevant to "real estate" as BC Politics or Jessica Simpson forgetting lyrics are. however, Calgary's sub forum isn't set up like Vancouver where this would be under general discussion.

240glt
Mar 17, 2009, 6:55 PM
And what time did you start drinking this morning? Last time I checked, this was a Skyscraper forum. However, I wouldn't want to overreact on something so trivial...

Oops, too late.

Riise
Mar 17, 2009, 7:06 PM
Oops, too late.

I guess I should have wrote that in green.

Policy Wonk
Mar 19, 2009, 6:13 AM
It also says that this dude now lives in Quebec.

Alouette = CFB Bagotville Airbase