PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Walk routes

bornagainbiking
Mar 15, 2009, 4:34 PM
The city of Hamilton has plenty of maintained trails available. You paiy for these through the Rec department. The Federal government is going to put more money into our trails and paths.
We are lucky with the Bruce trail so close.
Well Toronto has the Don Valley and we have the Red Hill, so I started to scout out one at a time.
Red Hill Valley Trail (RHVT) from the intersection of Mount Albion and Lawrence Rd.
large parking lot directly across from Mount Albion Rd, just off King St E.
Path: at least 2 metres wide, crushed screening (between sand and gravel) mostly dry (running shoes) multi users and stroller friendly. mostly flat with some rolling hills with a steep grade near train trestle. (No roller blades)
mostly Quiet except at beginning paralell to parkway.
pet friendly (I saw quite a few with their dogs).
path meanders along creek with a couple bridges that traverse the creek. No washroom but Rosedale arena may be open as it was today with hockey tournement. King's Forrest Golf course is slightly off the route but in a pinch in the summer.
It was approx. 22 mins from Mount Albion and Lawrence to Rosedale Bocce Club behind Rosedale Bowl (arena)(one way).
Next the route from the Rosedale Bowl to Mount Albion Falls. This segment is very steep and connects to Bruce Trail. :tup:

highwater
Mar 16, 2009, 1:11 PM
I have a fantastic little spiral bound pocket book called Beautiful Walks in and around Hamilton by Liz Lesser, published by Eagle Press out of Burlington. I picked it up a few years back at Chapters, I think. Well worth it if you can track it down.

BrianE
Mar 16, 2009, 2:03 PM
I have also walked the Red Hill Trail in that area. It's a good workout, it got me huffing a puffing during a few sections.

The highway detracts from the peacfulness of the walk of course, but if you have an eye for state of the art natural channel design then take a look at the creek. A lot of time and money went into the channel realignment to create natural pools and riffles and fish habitat.

My personnal favorite Hamilton Hike is to walk the Rail trail from around Sanford Ave (Lifesavers park) to Gage Park. There is a secondary trail just below the multi use trail that offers a more rugged workout and pleasant atmosphere. I highly recomend it.