PDA

View Full Version : [Abbotsford] Mahogany at Mill Lake | 80m | 26 Floors | U/C

Pages : [1] 2

Kodii
Mar 12, 2009, 4:39 AM

LIVING THE HIGH LIFE

By Joe Millican - Abbotsford News

Published: March 11, 2009 6:00 PM

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/Kodi_87/55512NewS3820090311162330Mohagany_G.jpg

Until now, proposals to build high into the Abbotsford sky have fallen flat.

That could soon change with city council’s consideration of the Mahogany at Mill Lake project, a vision of the Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties, which came before local politicians for the first time on Monday.

A 28-storey tower at 32828 Bevan Ave. would stretch 80 metres (262 feet) into the air and be almost double the height of the tallest Abbotsford buildings, which peak at 16 storeys.

Other projects on this scale have been considered before. Perhaps the highest-profile was the BRIO condominiums, near the intersection of Marshall Road and McCallum Road. That building was also planned to scale 28 storeys. Despite being approved by council in 2007, however, BRIO’s owners decided not to proceed.

Diane Delves, Quantum’s president and CEO, is confident that her tower would succeed. - {That's what BRIO said too...}

“When I got the opportunity to purchase the property . . . I envisaged something out of the ordinary,” she said. “We have spent a lot of time looking at other properties, and I believe there is a demand for such a unique, quality building in such a fabulous location.”

Despite the stumbling economy, Delves sees the appeal in being the first developer to build a housing development on such a scale in Abbotsford, adding that the company’s market research has shown there is adequate demand.

Once complete, the Mahogany tower would include 201 housing units, with townhouses on the ground floor. A four-storey building with 83 units is also part of the plan.

The next step for Mahogany is a public hearing in Matsqui Centennial Auditorium, most likely to be held on April 20. It would then need the majority support of council.

Abbotsford is a city which has grappled with the concept of building upwards instead of outwards since signing its new Official Community Plan – a 20-year planning vision for the city – in 2005. That document called for higher-density housing in the city centre to reduce the need to spread development into the Agricultural Land Reserve to the west, or Sumas Mountain to the east.

According to Gladwin Road resident Alan Ferguson, strong opposition to the Mahogany plan is likely.

The proponents have already met four times with local residents, he said, with numerous homeowners on Boult Avenue, Bevan Way, Gladwin Road and Bevan Avenue complaining the tower would cast long shadows over their yards and homes.

Ferguson now hopes to arrange another meeting for residents, to formulate a plan to oppose the development once it returns to the council table.

He said there are many concerns that the tower development is being proposed for “an older, established, single family neighbourhood.”

Other areas of concern involve more traffic and congestion.

Residents have already put together a petition containing close to 90 signatures, which will be considered by council. - {FREAKING NIMBYS. There's NOTHING in Abbotsford, and they're already shooting off their mouths}

City councillors were advised by Abbotsford Mayor George Peary, at council’s executive meeting on Monday, not to speak about Mahogany until after the public hearing.

However, there was some indication that the development will be considered carefully by local politicians, with Coun. Lynne Harris describing the project as “new territory,” and Coun. Simon Gibson stating that he has doubts about the height of the tower and has some “serious issues” with the development itself.

As for Delves, she recognizes that local residents would be impacted by such a massive change in surroundings.

“Unfortunately, the reality is that when there’s a new development in your neighbourhood, your life is not going to be the same again – whether it’s high-rise or low-rise,” she said.

“There’s a shadowing impact, there’s no doubt about that. We do not go into a project looking to disrupt our neighbours but unfortunately that’s going to happen. If you are going to live in the centre of a city, your environment is going to change at some point.”

Source: The Abbotsford News -- http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/news/41121384.html

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/Kodi_87/rendering1.jpg
Source: Quantum Properties Inc. -- http://www.mahoganycondos.com/rendering1.htm

excel
Mar 12, 2009, 5:24 AM
cool thanks for info!

Sonicwolf
Mar 17, 2009, 5:31 AM
One thing I have learned about living in Abbotsford for my entire life is that everyone seems to have nothing better to do than vote in geriatrics into office of the mayor and complain violently about anything that could be considered progress. This wont be built because almost everyone here thinks progress is bad. Thats why the Brio building is now the Brio Pit and the west oaks mall has sucked terribly since 2001.

Kodii
Mar 17, 2009, 5:59 AM
:previous: Not that Sevenoaks is much better. At least we're getting a Best Buy?

Is it wishful thinking to hope that some day we'll have a politician who has considerable vision for our city?

DKaz
Mar 17, 2009, 5:23 PM
If pricing is more or less reasonable (yes build some million dollar penthouses but a 1 bedroom should not go for more than $180k...) I could see it succeeding. There's hardly any market for luxury condos here, if people can afford to they would rather live in a big house on Sumas Mountain or something. There are a few high rises in Abby but none of them are stunning by any means, they're just a place to live for the average young person/couple/seniors/family/etc.

Kodii
Apr 23, 2009, 1:53 AM
Neighbours oppose so-called giant sun dial

Published: April 22, 2009 4:00 PM
Updated: April 22, 2009 4:38 PM

The pros and cons of a tower block that would stretch 80 metres into Abbotsford’s skyline and become the city’s highest building will receive a public airing next week.

The Mahogany at Mill Lake project, a 28-storey tower proposed for 32828 Bevan Ave., is scheduled to go to a public hearing on Monday night in Matsqui Centennial Auditorium.

Since signing its new Official Community Plan in 2005, the City of Abbotsford has expressed a desire to increase its residential and commercial density to avoid spreading into the Agricultural Land Reserve to the west or Sumas Mountain to the east.

That basically means building up instead of out.

Despite these goals, however, Bert Schendel says the project’s proponents can expect a verbal volley from local residents on Monday.

The Surrey resident, whose mother lives in the immediate vicinity of the proposed structure, has been busy mobilizing locals and now claims there is 96 per cent opposition from 350 homeowners who live within a 500-metre radius of the site.

Describing the tower as a “giant sun dial,” Schendel said his mother, and others, will suffer severe shadowing from the building and will have to endure “an involuntary eclipse” daily.

Schendel is now expecting homeowners to turn out “in force” to the public hearing.

“Everybody seems to be hyped up about it,” Schendel told The News, adding that the prospect of traffic congestion in the area is also alarming some homeowners.

Mahogany at Mill Lake has been proposed by the Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties. If approved, it will see the creation of 201 housing units, with townhouses on the ground floor. A four-storey building with 83 units is also part of the plan.

The Mahogany project has already received the backing of city hall staff, who say it fits inside a city principle to support higher density developments and will therefore make an efficient use of land.
Source: The Abbotsford News -- http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/news/43489967.html

SpongeG
Apr 23, 2009, 2:43 AM
lol

NetMapel
Apr 23, 2009, 3:01 AM
NIMBY BE GONE... arggghhh...

Cypherus
Apr 23, 2009, 11:13 PM
It doesn't get more NIMBY than that.

hollywoodnorth
Apr 23, 2009, 11:30 PM
what a NIMBY Momma's Boy!

DKaz
Apr 23, 2009, 11:48 PM
That's Abbotsford for you.

SFUVancouver
Apr 24, 2009, 3:57 AM
The very analogy of a sundial is bizarre since, by definition, the shadow cast by a sundial sweeps across a surface instead of lingering on it, as would the shadow cast by a wall.

Involuntary eclipse! = where did the mountains go?

Vancity
Apr 24, 2009, 6:27 AM
That's Abbotsford for you.

Sigh....

Vancity
Apr 24, 2009, 6:28 AM
:previous: Not that Sevenoaks is much better. At least we're getting a Best Buy?

Is it wishful thinking to hope that some day we'll have a politician who has considerable vision for our city?

we haven't had one of those for Vancouver for a long time! come to think of it...not even for Richmond, either...:(

Sonicwolf
Apr 25, 2009, 5:37 AM
There has not been a highrise built in Abbotsford since the mid 1990s. Pitiful. Im embarassed to live in Abbotsford. Everyone is a bunch of NIMBY crybabies. If it was somebody else these people would not give a crap.

Kodii
Apr 30, 2009, 7:00 AM
This is RIDICULOUS. I am so embarrassed to be from Abbotsford.

These "Sun people" probably don't even notice when the sun is shining on their houses. Jeez, they make me SO MAD. Does anyone want to suggest an effective method to tell them to STUFF IT?

Sun people protest

“The Sun People say no to the tower.”

Badges adorned with those words were worn by many opponents of what would be Abbotsford’s highest building Monday night, as resident after resident slammed the Mahogany at Mill Lake tower proposal.

Approximately 90 people attended the public hearing in Matsqui Centennial Auditorium to debate the pros and cons of the 28-storey tower proposed for 32828 Bevan Ave.

The vast majority cast it in a negative light.

More than 25 speakers told council they do not support the 80-metre structure, while only a handful gave it their backing. Those who did not speak made their feelings known in the form of thunderous applause, whenever an opponent had finished addressing council.

Many residents said they feared their homes would be in shadow if the building is approved, while believing the sun would be blocked from their properties.

Bert Schendel, a Surrey resident whose mother lives just beside the site, had been mobilizing residents to attend the meeting.

He told council that many people living around Boult Avenue, Gladwin Road and Bevan Avenue are concerned about the shadowing effect on their homes.

“We demand our maximum allotment of sunshine whenever the sun is in the sky,” he said. “We believe this to be our natural right.”

Numerous speakers said they were not against development, but did not support a large-scale building in an older and more established neighbourhood.

Concerns were also raised about the potential for shadows that could be cast over Mill Lake Park, especially in the winter.

Bellvue Crescent resident Roger Smith said council’s decision could see them approve a new landmark in Abbotsford. He did not see that as a positive.

“There’s been a lot of good things done in this city, but there have been a lot of bonehead things that have been done as well,” he said. “If it were to go through, it’s going to leave a legacy. It’s going to leave a legacy on this council and this mayor, and it won’t be good.”

Since signing its new Official Community Plan in 2005, the City of Abbotsford has expressed a desire to increase its residential and commercial density to avoid spreading into the Agricultural Land Reserve to the west or Sumas Mountain to the east.

A small number of people at the meeting said it was time to proceed with tall buildings, and so supported the Mahogany on Mill Lake project which has been proposed by the Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties.

Supporters were in the distinct minority.

Council is expected to vote on the Mahogany at Mill Lake project on May 11.

Source: The Abbotsford News -- http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/news/44024857.html?success&disqus_reply=8854182#comment-8854182

PROSTSHOCKER
Apr 30, 2009, 7:30 AM
Man, those Abbotsford types sure love their sprawl and sun (assuming they savour it in the early morning and dusk). :cool:

mr.x
Apr 30, 2009, 8:08 AM
http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/simpsons%20sun-jj-001.jpg

“We demand our maximum allotment of sunshine whenever the sun is in the sky,” he said. “We believe this to be our natural right.”

Kodii
Apr 30, 2009, 11:36 PM
I was so infuriated that I sent letters to the Abbotsford News, Quantum Properties and the Abbotsford Council to protest the protesters.

I absolutely HATE the argument that the tower will block out the sun. :hell:

The next thing you know, this Bert Schendel character will be protesting CLOUDS because they prevent the "maximum allotment of sunshine whenever the sun is in the sky".

DKaz
Apr 30, 2009, 11:55 PM
Now that I've investigated where this tower is actually going, I'm backing up a bit. Most of the towers in Abbotsford so far are located close to South Fraser Way. I originally thought this tower was going up at the corner of Bourquin and South Fraser Way which would make total sense. Build momentum by densifying a strip of the city that's already dense and gain momentum. 32828 Bevan Ave. is a bit out of the way from that strip. Building on say along Gladwin Road at the southeast parking lot of Sevenoaks Mall would make more sense, the top floor residents will still get a nice view of Mill Lake, Mount Baker, etc.

On the other hand... there is already a forested part of Cenntenial Park with tall 10 storey+ high trees. Properties due north may lose a bit of sun midday but hey, their houses will be a lot cooler! Properties due east, it's not like they get much of a sunset anyway with the forest in the way. Properties due west and southwest, they'll lose their sunrise but nothing else. Properties due south, they're losing NOTHING and it's a bunch of 4 storey condos anyway already. In the summertime, the sun is usually straight up so no one willbe losing much. Winter time, it usually rains anyway so hm.

Okay after considerring... I do hope this project goes ahead. It's a very nice area, close to the park, 10 minute walk to Sevenoaks Mall, Bourquin Exchange, 5 minute walk to the hospital,

Kodii
Apr 30, 2009, 11:59 PM
:previous: The location definitely isn't in the best location to encourage further upwards expansion, but it is a start, no matter the location.

NetMapel
May 1, 2009, 12:06 AM
I hope they run a train track around Boult Avenue, Gladwin Road and Bevan Avenue when we get interurban route going.

Kodii
May 7, 2009, 6:40 PM
I originally thought this tower was going up at the corner of Bourquin and South Fraser Way which would make total sense.

Do you know what they are constructing there? It would be nice to have a tower there, but I don't think they would put a residential tower smack dab in the middle of a commercial district. An office tower could go there, but it seems more like a parking lot that anything else right now.

theQ
May 7, 2009, 6:56 PM
I used to live in Abbotsford. I think it's a great idea! At 28 stories, the top floors might even be above the summer pollution to rolls into the valley... If it doesn't go ahead, these Quantum guys should plan something for here in Surrey, we'll happily take another high rise.

DKaz
May 7, 2009, 6:58 PM
I'm not too sure to be honest, I parked there a couple of weeks back to eat at IHOP and there is definitely underground parking but I don't see any sign of anything going up above it. It's weird that the slab would be heavy enough for a parking lot which means it'll probably be a small office building above. I'll drive by this weekend and see what's happening.

Sonicwolf
May 8, 2009, 5:00 AM
I'm not too sure to be honest, I parked there a couple of weeks back to eat at IHOP and there is definitely underground parking but I don't see any sign of anything going up above it. It's weird that the slab would be heavy enough for a parking lot which means it'll probably be a small office building above. I'll drive by this weekend and see what's happening.

They have a very large crane at the corner near IHOP so Im assuming its going to be pretty tall :D

Kodii
May 8, 2009, 8:43 AM
Really? I'm surprised I haven't been able to find anything about it.

Slightly off topic, I finally passed by the new Abbotsford Sports and Entertainment Center, and it is drop dead gorgeous! (for Abbotsford standards anyways)

softee
May 8, 2009, 9:04 AM
You'd think that people in Abbotsford would like tall buildings in their city - they could live in them and be closer to God.

CBeats
May 8, 2009, 9:13 AM
they could live in them and be closer to God.

:haha: :haha:

mr.x
May 8, 2009, 9:16 AM
Really? I'm surprised I haven't been able to find anything about it.

Slightly off topic, I finally passed by the new Abbotsford Sports and Entertainment Center, and it is drop dead gorgeous! (for Abbotsford standards anyways)

I propose trading UBC Thunderbird Arena for the Abbottsford facility.:haha:

DKaz
May 8, 2009, 3:54 PM
You'd think that people in Abbotsford would like tall buildings in their city - they could live in them and be closer to God.

Hahahahaha. Bur-yurn!

Perhaps the penthouse suite will be a new church.

Kodii
May 10, 2009, 10:01 PM
I have heard more complaints from people saying that they do not want a shadow cast upon Mill Lake because it is Abbotsford's "jewel".

I think that lake is absolutely disgusting, but is anyone able to confirm whether or not a shadow from this tower would reach and permanently affect the lake?

DKaz
May 10, 2009, 10:40 PM
No, the tower is quite a distance from the lake, maybe in the winter months the shadow will reach Mill Lake.

I like the lake, it's a nice walk/jog around it but it is duck/goose feces ridden for sure.

Kodii
May 12, 2009, 5:21 AM
The Canucks lost. That's okay because I will always believe in blue.

Too bad I've lost all faith in Abbotsford. Excuse my language, but [darn you] Abby. At least the councillors that I like (including our mayor) voted FOR the damn tower.

Council denies 28-storey Bevan tower

Published: May 11, 2009 8:00 PM

Abbotsford council has denied an application to build an 80-metre tower on Bevan Avenue, which would have become the city's tallest building.

Council tonight (Monday) voted 5-4 to turn down the 28-storey structure at 32848 Bevan Ave., close to Mill Lake.

The vote followed a public hearing two weeks ago, during which local residents spoke overwhelmingly against the Mohogany at Mill Lake plan from proceeding.

The majority of council took that reaction into account before Monday's vote in Matsqui Centennial Auditorium. Others sympathized with residents, but believed it was time to press ahead with densifying the area with development land in Abbotsford at a premium.

Voting in favour of the application by the Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties were Mayor George Peary and councillors John Smith, Bill MacGregor and Dave Loewen.

However, they were outnumbered by councillors Les Barkman, Moe Gill, Patricia Ross, Lynne Harris and Simon Gibson.

After council's vote, Bert Schendel - who helped rally local residents - expressed his belief that council had made the right decision.

He was also pleased the local politicians had listened to the people.

"It's tremendous, and I hope it stays this way," he said. "For now, we have stopped the trucks and the power saws."

Source: The Abbotsford News -- http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/news/44758172.html

NetMapel
May 12, 2009, 5:23 AM
One bad news after another ! Woe is us :O

Kodii
May 12, 2009, 5:51 AM
I am so sick of all the selfish NIMBYs. It's not so bad that they are NIMBYs, but they are selfish ones at that.

Bert Schendel, who is now my number one enemy, says: "For now, we have stopped the trucks and the power saws."

Yes, and you denied people of work you stupid (excuse my language) [guy].

giallo
May 12, 2009, 5:56 AM
:haha:

Whalleyboy
May 12, 2009, 6:41 AM
pssh so stupid how will abby ever have hopes to grow when they do crap like that

LeftCoaster
May 12, 2009, 9:37 PM
Who cares, it's abbotsford...

Kodii
May 12, 2009, 9:49 PM
SSPers from Abby?

Save me... just over three months until I get to return to Vancouver!

Metro-One
May 12, 2009, 9:50 PM
If the Valley so desperately wants us to spend hundreds of millions on extending mass transit to their region then maybe we would like to see some forward thinking in high density developments in their cities! Such decisions as this reinstates that we should be spending the money on skytrain where developments and densities are suitable for mass transit instead of wasting money in bring mass transit to areas that will not even allow a tower be built!

DKaz
May 12, 2009, 10:11 PM
Never mind the light rail, even buses aren't working in Abbotsford because of all the sprawl. It's not uncommon to see empty buses around here especially evenings and weekends although peak hour and mid-day bus ridership is not too bad.

BattleAxe
May 12, 2009, 10:23 PM
Softee

Well I guess everyone would have their own reason, kinda like how people in Vancouver live in highrises so they can be further away from all of prostitutes and heroin drug users below.

Whalleyboy
May 12, 2009, 10:45 PM
I like seeing and knowing abby is growing too. It's nice when everything isnt all about Vancouver

unlike some people tend to think.....

Sonicwolf
May 13, 2009, 1:35 AM
I want out of this damned city and I want out now. Its a city full of religous fuddy duddy assholes who have nothing better to do than whine about there precious, precious sunshine and the fact that its not the 1950s anymore and urban sprawl is not a good thing. Any single glimpse of hope for this damned city is crunched into a singularity of nothing by the NIMBY bastards who are completely backwards thinking. They dont care that more farmland and forest will be destroyed for more houses - - They dont care about the other people complaining about the development of around their homes. Greedy bastards.

So now Abbotsford has the shittiest bus system, a shitty highway, a shitty road system, no intercity transit, a welfare school system, a terrible mall, another terrible mall, sports arenas in remote areas, No high rise development since 1997. Woo hoo. Lead shithole of British Columbia with murders plus.

Anyone else here embarassed about this scumdrop of a city?

Kodii
May 13, 2009, 3:18 AM
:hi:

I think we're the only three Abbotsford SSPers (including DKaz from Mission), and trust me, I'm leaving this shithole as soon as I can. My only reasons for returning is family and friends.

Whalleyboy
May 13, 2009, 5:35 AM
it is sad such a smaller city has so many nimby's if only they could get one or two towers up there i'm sure they could out do the nimbys

makes me glad i live in Surrey some times where people just want money for there houses and dont care what is going up in place of it=P

Kodii
May 13, 2009, 6:11 AM
One of the comments someone made on the article in the Abbotsford News is that "the reason we chose to live and raise our family in Abbotsford is because we believed that this 'city in the country' would protect and reflect our values."

Ok. Fine. That's what my parents did too.

But once the kids are all grown up, they're leaving the "City in the Country" because there is absolutely nothing to offer there.

Let me summarize Abbotsford and it's conservativeness:

Step One: Move to Abbotsford
Step Two: Make babies and raise them
Step Three: Grow old and complain
Step Four: Make your kids marry early and have babies to force them to stay

Otherwise, WE'RE OUTTA THERE.

If a poll was taken of my high school graduating class, just about no one would choose to stay in Abbotsford.

CBeats
May 13, 2009, 7:20 AM
If a poll was taken of my high school graduating class, just about no one would choose to stay in Abbotsford.

:koko: That really tells you something about Abbotsford. Yes, teenage values are not the same as the people who actually pay taxes in the city (town?), but still. It's pretty similar to Kelowna outskirts actually, with the whole religious conservative thing.

GMasterAres
May 13, 2009, 5:35 PM
They're starting too big that's the problem. Developers unfortunately are jumping at the bit to build tall out in the country. You have to start small, it's the natural progression of a city outside the UAE.

I don't know anywhere besides Dubai where you can just build 9000 storey highrises in the middle of nowhere. You start with several 4-5 storey condos, move up to several 10-15 storey towers, then when you build up some density, you go for the signature 28 storey tower and then a few others in the 25-35 range. Once the population gets more used to the density and some stuff is already built, it makes it 1) easier to convince them of more and 2) more difficult to argue against since you have established some density already.

Abbotsford's main issue in the last two major proposals is going too big too fast. This 28 storey like blamo really in the middle of nowhere and the previous that insanely expensive one with 2 Porsches for residents priced out of the stratosphere.

As much as I'm against the majority of NIMBYs, I don't think that's what killed this project more just going a little too big a little too fast.

It's like the argument for developement in Surrey right now. How many massive projects have been completed without issue? Then you have Citypoint and D'corize which are near done. They aren't massive monsters, they aren't huge elaborate developments, but they are adding density, bringing people to the area, helping the cleanup process, and making it easier for the monster projects to actually succeed.

Kodii
May 13, 2009, 6:13 PM
What you are saying is true. However, there isn't exactly a rush of developers looking to build ~10-storey buildings in Abbotsford. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of bylaw that prevents them or something. We have 4 storey condos sprouting like there's no tomorrow, but they are restricted to just that because of bylaws.

I understand that we can't be expecting highrises out of nowhere, but when the opportunity arrives, I'd take them, especially since these opportunities come once in a blue moon.

mr.x
May 13, 2009, 6:21 PM
One of the comments someone made on the article in the Abbotsford News is that "the reason we chose to live and raise our family in Abbotsford is because we believed that this 'city in the country' would protect and reflect our values."

Ok. Fine. That's what my parents did too.

But once the kids are all grown up, they're leaving the "City in the Country" because there is absolutely nothing to offer there.

Let me summarize Abbotsford and it's conservativeness:

Step One: Move to Abbotsford
Step Two: Make babies and raise them
Step Three: Grow old and complain
Step Four: Make your kids marry early and have babies to force them to stay

Otherwise, WE'RE OUTTA THERE.

I think we're in for a even tougher future...development-wise. Translink's ads: the senior population is expected to triple over the next few decades.:sly:

giallo
May 14, 2009, 1:43 AM
They're starting too big that's the problem. Developers unfortunately are jumping at the bit to build tall out in the country. You have to start small, it's the natural progression of a city outside the UAE.

I don't know anywhere besides Dubai where you can just build 9000 storey highrises in the middle of nowhere. You start with several 4-5 storey condos, move up to several 10-15 storey towers, then when you build up some density, you go for the signature 28 storey tower and then a few others in the 25-35 range. Once the population gets more used to the density and some stuff is already built, it makes it 1) easier to convince them of more and 2) more difficult to argue against since you have established some density already.

Abbotsford's main issue in the last two major proposals is going too big too fast. This 28 storey like blamo really in the middle of nowhere and the previous that insanely expensive one with 2 Porsches for residents priced out of the stratosphere.

As much as I'm against the majority of NIMBYs, I don't think that's what killed this project more just going a little too big a little too fast.

It's like the argument for developement in Surrey right now. How many massive projects have been completed without issue? Then you have Citypoint and D'corize which are near done. They aren't massive monsters, they aren't huge elaborate developments, but they are adding density, bringing people to the area, helping the cleanup process, and making it easier for the monster projects to actually succeed.

True, but you can still add highrises in to the mix with public support. Kelowna has gone from a city that had one highrise that topped out at 16 floors to having over 3 that top out at over 20 floors within in a few short years. Kelowna is a bit of a different beast due to the ALR restrictions, but it is possible to get the public behind these developments.

Kodii
May 14, 2009, 5:40 PM
People power trumps tower

Published: May 13, 2009 4:00 PM

Residents have won their fight against an 80-metre tower on Bevan Avenue, which would have become Abbotsford’s tallest building had it been approved.

The public turned out in force before council two weeks ago to protest the 28-storey Mahogany at Mill Lake proposal.

Dubbing themselves “The Sun People,” due to the amount of sunlight they said they would lose from shadows cast by the 262-foot tower, many of the 90-plus residents who attended the public hearing wore badges adorned with those words as they told local politicians the structure was not welcome.

On Monday, council voted 5-4 against the development proposed for 32848 Bevan Ave.

Surrey resident Bert Schendel, who owns property in the area and whose mother would have lived close to the tower, was thankful council had listened to the concerns of residents.

“It’s tremendous,” said Schendel, who helped rally locals to protest the tower.

“I think there may be another proposal [for the site], but for the time being we have stopped the trucks and stopped the power saws.”

Area resident Alan Ferguson said the community “is not burying its head in the sand” and recognizes there will be some form of development at the Bevan address in the future.

“But based on what the public said, council said this was not the right thing, at this time, for this place,” he said.

While a number of councillors said local residents had persuaded them that the tower proposal should be denied, others believed it was time to press ahead with densifying the area.

Voting in favour of the application by Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties were Mayor George Peary and Couns. John Smith, Bill MacGregor and Dave Loewen.

However, they were outnumbered by Couns. Les Barkman, Moe Gill, Patricia Ross, Lynne Harris and Simon Gibson.

“The public dissent almost unanimously against this was a ringing bell around this table. If we endorse, almost haphazardly, high rises in areas that are residential, to a large degree we are thrusting a sabre deep into the heart of these communities,” said Gibson.

Harris spoke of the “overwhelming number of people” who spoke against the proposal.

“I totally understand NIMBYism, but at the same time, I think it’s a very difficult decision for council to disregard your residents,” she said. “It’s just not in the right location. You just can’t put a 28-storey building beside single family neighbourhoods.”

Loewen, how ever, did not believe the tower would “destroy the quality of life” in the area. The councillor also said that unlike cities such as Langley and Surrey, Abbotsford does not have an abundance of land that can still be developed – due to its proximity to the Agricultural Land Reserve to the west and Sumas Mountain to the east. That will essentially force Abbotsford to build upwards instead of outwards, he suggested.

Peary said the piece of property in question will be developed in the future. And Abbotsford has told other neighbouring high-growth communities that it will densify in the future.

The Mahogany tower would have included 201 housing units, with townhouses on the ground floor. A four-storey building with 83 units was also part of the plan. The tallest existing buildings in Abbotsford peak at 16 storeys.
Source: The Abbotsford News -- http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/news/44937242.html

GMasterAres
May 15, 2009, 7:09 PM
True, but you can still add highrises in to the mix with public support. Kelowna has gone from a city that had one highrise that topped out at 16 floors to having over 3 that top out at over 20 floors within in a few short years. Kelowna is a bit of a different beast due to the ALR restrictions, but it is possible to get the public behind these developments.

You can if the demographics of the overall population support it. You have a lot of people in Abbotsford that want that "city in the country" feel. I've known a few people that moved out there because they wanted to get away from the city feel but not be out in the bush. They now live in Chilliwack because they claim Abbotsford is becoming too city for them.

So you have a group of people in Abbotsford not as extreme as them but up there. + it has a large conservative population and conservatives in general don't like change. They want their neighborhood to be the same it was 'back in the day.' Think about White Rock and the portion of South Surrey around White Rock. They have some high-rises but every development requires pulling teeth and almost getting on their hands and knees to beg the people to support it compared to the rest of Surrey.

Different demographics. You do have a point though, that if done right, you can still grow and have support of the people. I just think for Abbotsford's demographic, some developers are pushing to hard to fast.

Sonicwolf
May 17, 2009, 4:08 AM
I just think for Abbotsford's demographic, some developers are pushing to hard to fast.

You think that 2 proposed and soon after failed High rise projects since 1997 is pushing too hard and too fast?

SpongeG
May 17, 2009, 8:36 PM
ok so no towers

but they can keep their gangs - lol

losers

Sonicwolf
Dec 23, 2009, 2:19 AM
Tower Rises Again
By Kevin Mills - Abbotsford News

The Mahogany at Mill Lake tower project may have a new lease on life.

The proposed 28-storey tower was voted down by council back in May, after a public outcry against what would have been the tallest tower in the city.

But Diane Delves, CEO of Quantum Properties in Abbotsford, says that she has not given up on the project.

“We have filed a new application with the city,” she confirmed.

The new proposal is similar to the original, with a few adjustments.

The size has been reduced to 26 storeys, as 16 suites have been removed.

The spectre of the tower came back into the public eye last week when local residents noticed a blue fence had been erected around the proposed construction site.

However, the barrier had nothing to do with the new application.

“The fence went up because we have had some problems with the trees,” said Delves.

Some larger branches have fallen in the recent wind storms, and because Quantum Properties owns the land, there were liability issues.

Delves is aware some people in the neighbourhood may be opposed to the new proposal, but plans to hold a public meeting to explain the changes.

“This will be our fifth meeting with the public so far.”

The new application was filed after a mandatory six-month waiting period to reapply after being turned down by council.

It will come before council again some time in the new year.

Source: The Abbotsford News -- http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/news/79657282.html

Looks like they are going to try again. Of course it will be voted down again, come on, its Abbotsford. :(

berrypicker
Dec 23, 2009, 5:54 AM
I understand how some people might be upset over this project because if you go to the neighbourhood surrounding the site there are all single family homes these people are not used to having a big huge tower in the middle of their neighbourhood. They said themselves they wouldn't mind a 6 story apartment building instead we need to get people used to taller towers by building smaller then bigger.

Sonicwolf
Dec 23, 2009, 6:45 AM
I understand how some people might be upset over this project because if you go to the neighbourhood surrounding the site there are all single family homes these people are not used to having a big huge tower in the middle of their neighbourhood. They said themselves they wouldn't mind a 6 story apartment building instead we need to get people used to taller towers by building smaller then bigger.

Construction of buildings of 6 storeys doesnt happen here often, nor does the construction of high rises occur here. The last was finished in 1998. For a city of well over 150,000 people, thats pretty ridiculous.

These people also dont realize the incredible rate at which homes like theirs (I have walked down the street, its a bunch of dumpy 60's bungalows) are being bought up, demolished and redeveloped. Its only a matter of time before the houses surrounding that street are razed. Its in the prime clearbrook-downtown development area too.

They sure dont bitch about the massive fir trees around there either. I really must emphasize the word massive too. I thought shadows were a problem for them.

Kodii
Dec 23, 2009, 10:57 AM
I think if this becomes an issue again, I'm actually going to show up to some meetings and give my voice, because Abbotsford needs to suck it up.

hollywoodnorth
Dec 23, 2009, 3:56 PM
I think if this becomes an issue again, I'm actually going to show up to some meetings and give my voice, because Abbotsford needs to suck it up.

you should plan on going out regardless or at least email in to city council and tell them your feelings. :cheers:

Kodii
Dec 23, 2009, 5:31 PM
you should plan on going out regardless or at least email in to city council and tell them your feelings. :cheers:

I actually did e-mail the council last time and got a very nice response from George Peary (the mayor) who voted for the project. If only the rest of the council would do the same...

trofirhen
Dec 23, 2009, 5:57 PM
Perhaps .... (and I realize we live in a democracy, but ) ...... there should be some kind of GVRD-wide, or "Lower Mainland Transit Area - wide" Density requirement (so many people per so many sq km, or such) before a community is to be considered eleigible for rapid transit of any sort - Skytrain, ALRT, commuter rail, whatever.

This would cause a lot of debate in many communities to be sure, and a lot of hard feelings among certain interest groups would develop, which is tragic.

But perhaps this is the only way to deploy transit in a cit that has a compact reservoir of agricultural land, scant financial resources which must be allocated judiciously, and a population that will, in the long term, be dependent on, (and probably crying out for) rapid transit.

This may sound rather Draconian, but this isn't Kansas City or Dallas or Calgary or Edmonton, where there is a lot of flat hinterland. Here in Vancouver, we have little precious land (much of it already having been bitched up with ugly suburban / commercial sprawl) mountains, oceans, and the USA border hemming us in, and we have no choice but to put transit where it's wanted and needed.

The equally big challenge, in the meantime, is to make sure the ALR stays firmly in place, and that communities, particularly those in the Valley, but elsewhere too, aren't given the leeway to sprawl even more, and become more car-dependent in a city which does not cater to automobiles.

It's a fine balancing act that must be handled with kid gloves and iron fists, but it has to be done -FAST ! ! !

Julia
Jan 18, 2010, 6:22 PM
Next week there is going to be a Neighbourhood Meeting held for this project. Here are the details from the newspaper ad:

Mahogany at Mill Lake

Quantum Properties (Property Owner) has submitted an application to the
City of Abbostford to build a residential development at 32828 Bevan Avenue.
Please join us at our neighbourhood meeting to discuss the project.

Date: Wednesday, January 27th, 2010
Time: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
(32110 Marshall Rd.)

PROPOSED SITE:
32828 Bevan Ave.
Abbotsford, B.C.

Posting opinions about Mahogany on an online forum won't have any impact on whether Council approves the project or not. Everyone should come out to the meeting next week!

RosstheBoss
Jan 19, 2010, 2:27 AM
ya totally agree, I was so shell shocked when I heard they denied them the right to build the first time, hopefully council does not make the same mistake again or they will become known as a council that cheerfully allowed uncontrolled suburban sprawl. This might be the chance Abby needs to get some momentum going and densify its "downtown" core. Don't get me wrong i don't think we should turn all of Abby into a high density city. However I believe that in order to have a healthy city Abbotsford will need a viable downtown core.

Sonicwolf
Jan 20, 2010, 1:25 AM
ya totally agree, I was so shell shocked when I heard they denied them the right to build the first time, hopefully council does not make the same mistake again or they will become known as a council that cheerfully allowed uncontrolled suburban sprawl. This might be the chance Abby needs to get some momentum going and densify its "downtown" core. Don't get me wrong i don't think we should turn all of Abby into a high density city. However I believe that in order to have a healthy city Abbotsford will need a viable downtown core.

I agree. Our downtown core is in pretty sorry shape right now. Half the sidewalks are warped asphalt, there is little place to live in downtown and it looks like a 1950's street drag what with the close-to-the-curb outdated buildings and ancient, leaning power lines.

RosstheBoss
Jan 26, 2010, 4:53 PM
so anyone going to go to that thing tomorrow, I might go after I get off work might be a tight squeeze for time though. We should try to get a few people out anyway.

Kodii
Jan 30, 2010, 5:43 AM
I would have, but it's kind of hard now that I'm out in Vancouver.

Does anyone have the physics background to put together a shadow radius for the building? The core argument for the "Sun People" is that they will lose their precious sunlight, and that it will permanently cast a shadow over the "jewel" of Abbotsford otherwise known as the shithole that is Mill Lake.

Sun People to rise again

Published: January 29, 2010 4:00 PM
Updated: January 29, 2010 5:12 PM

1 Comment

Bevan Avenue area residents have once again come together to fight a common cause.

And this time their numbers have increased.

The group of concerned citizens, who dubbed themselves the Sun People, are protesting the construction of a 26-storey tower.

The proposed building, called Mahogany at Mill Lake, would be located at 32828 Bevan Ave.

The project was first introduced last year, but was voted down by council after a heated public hearing.

Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties, who hope to construct the tower, has sent a new application into the city.

While council has yet to address the request, the Sun People are on the move.

“We have already put out a petition and collected 314 signatures,” said Bert Schendel, one of the group’s organizers.

Last year, only 85 signatures were collected. Schendel says that means residents are more riled up than before.

“The people living here at ground zero are the ones most affected,” he said.

The main concerns of the group involve the shading the tower would cause, parking issues and view.

“It’s going to stick out like a sore thumb.”

The new proposal has some changes from the first tower. The current project consists of 26 storeys, instead of 28, but Schendel says that makes little difference.

“It’s still going to be 80 metres high. The whole ball of wax hasn’t really changed at all.”

On Wednesday night, Quantum Properties held an open public information meeting on the tower project.

Diane Delves, president and CEO of Quantum, said the meeting went well, according to staff members who were present.

“I couldn’t be there myself, but I’m told we had a fair number of supporters.”

The company Brook and Associates ran the information meeting for Quantum Properties and reported approximately 45 people attended. Of those who came, 28 (62 per cent) filled out comment cards.

The results were almost even with 14 supporting the project, 12 against and two uncertain.

Delves knows not everybody is in favour of the tower project, but feels those who do support it need to be more vocal this time around.

The public meeting allowed people to get more information, make comments and ask questions.

“There’s a lot of misinformation out there.”

While the application has been sent to the city, it has yet to be discussed in council. Delves estimated March 29 would be the earliest a public hearing could be held.

Schendel says when the meeting comes, the Sun People will be there.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/news/83080962.html

RosstheBoss
Feb 2, 2010, 5:09 AM
Ok so seriously these guys from the Abbotsford News are really starting to get on my nerves. THE SUN PEOPLE RISE AGAIN TO FIGHT A COMMON CAUSE. These reporters get on my nerves cause all they do is take something that is actually quite small like the opposition to the Mahogany tower and basically blow the whole situation way out of context. When counselors see this they get uneasy, always trying to do what is popular vs. what is best for Abbotsford they vote on what they think will get them reelected. If maybe a few more of these Sun people had attended the public consultation they may have seen that this tower is actually pretty well thought out. The project has incentives for the community; it will provide much need work to men and women trying to support their families; traffic calming measures have been included. This tower is also close to the new Abbotsford Regional Hospital, which is an area of high employment. If people want the luxury of leaving in downtown Abbotsford new a new regional hospital then they should also be prepared for projects such as this to be built nearby as it makes logical sense. Also if this tower really does block out that much light shouldn't the people of places like Vancouver, Coquitlam, and Burnaby be constantly in the dark lol....no cause now this may shock some NIMBYS the sun actually moves. Next people are going to start saying that we need to get rid of the mountains because they are much bigger then highrises and if uncontrolled will engulf us in darkness.:koko: Anyhow I did actually go to this little community get together and found the information given to be very informative and helpful in reaffirming my opinion that this project will be a very important and good thing for Abbotsford. When this project does go before counsel I plan and I hope others will plan to attend to voice their support for this project. I believe the vast majority of residents do want this project to go through, however with a loud and somewhat misinformed minority I fear counselors who usually lack any type of political courage will take the cowards way out and fail to do what is in the long term the best thing for Abbotsford and pass this project. With the population forecasts for Abbotsford showing an incredible trend of upward climb in the coming years I believe that it is time for counsel to finally put a stop to suburban sprawl and focus on creating a healthy, vibrant and livable Abbotsford with a strong downtown core.:)

Julia
Feb 3, 2010, 5:44 PM
The architects had their shadow study results at the open house last week. The development won't affect that many homes throught the day.

DKaz
Feb 3, 2010, 6:54 PM
Just build a church on the penthouse with dedicated express elevator, instant approval.

Conrad Yablonski
Feb 3, 2010, 7:59 PM
Haven't read the whole thread but air quality in Abbotsford is awful and 20+ stories up isn't going to be any better.

It's smog from all those thousands of cars starting up in the AM plus ammonia from deteriorating cow manure regularly spread on the fields, people are in for a nasty surprise if they buy out there without spending time in the area at all times of day.

Sonicwolf
Mar 15, 2010, 8:03 AM
According to this:http://www.abbotsford.ca/Assets/Abbotsford/City+Page/2010-03-06+City+Page.pdf
It appears that the Abbotsford city council will be going over this later today.

I sent a message to all council members asking for them to think this through with the future of Abbotsford and density, yadda yadda, involved. I hope they actually read it.

Kodii
Mar 15, 2010, 8:25 AM
I have done the same.

I emailed council last time around and received a response from the mayor, who did in fact vote in favour for the project. Hopefully one of the other council members changes their mind.

Sonicwolf
Mar 16, 2010, 10:33 PM
Tower casts new shadow

Published: March 15, 2010 10:00 PM
Updated: March 16, 2010 11:54 AM

The controversial Mahogany at Mill Lake tower project could be going to another public hearing.

Council voted 5-4 in favour of receiving the rezoning proposal which would allow a 26-storey high-rise and a four-storey apartment building to be constructed at 32828 Bevan Ave.

This is a revised proposal from Quantum Properties in Abbotsford who originally requested the zoning change last year.

That request was denied after a large public outcry from residents in the area.

Quantum Properties has revised its original plan from a 28-storey structure to 26-storeys which will now be 80 metres in height, instead of 83.

Now that council has received the proposal, it will have to give it first reading before it can go to a public hearing.

“I’m very surprised this proposal has come back before council,” said Coun. Lynne Harris. “I’m astonished that it has come back. Was it not rejected? Has anything changed?”

She went on to call the motion an “atrocity” and said she was “embarrassed” that council was hearing it again. She was also concerned that hearing the application for a second time would send the wrong message.

“If you don’t get your way, you just keep coming back again and again.”

Her comments received a loud round of applause from people attending the council meeting.

Other councillors agreed with Harris’ position.

“It’s just cruel to put people (neighbours) through this again. It’s a tragedy,” said Coun. Simon Gibson.

While emotions were running high, Abbotsford Mayor George Peary reminded council that it was normal for developers to come back to council.

“The developer has done nothing wrong. That point has to be made. They can come to council, every six months,” said Peary.

The motion passed with Harris, Gibson Coun. Les Barkman and Coun. Patricia Ross voting against the motion which will now move forward to first reading.

If council gives the proposal first reading, it will then go to public hearing. No date has been set for a hearing, but the earliest it could take place is April 26.

It is just the first step in what could be a long process.

Residents opposed to the project – who call themselves the Sun People because they fear the tower will cast their homes in shadow – have sent in a petition with 314 signatures opposing the tower.

Organizers vow to attend the public hearing and stop the tower – again.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/87738392.html

Damn, the city council sure likes to dance around on the issue. Its so split that its anybody's guess as to whether this tower will make it construction. I guess it will be a resounding "no".

Kodii
Apr 14, 2010, 6:12 PM
Tower goes to public hearing

Published: April 13, 2010 11:00 AM
Updated: April 14, 2010 10:50 AM

Residents of Bevan Avenue are again facing the looming shadow of a tower.

Council approved sending the Mahogany at Mill Lake proposal to a public hearing, and “The Sun People” will be there to voice their opposition.

The proposed 26-storey (80 metres) building would be located at 32828 Bevan Ave., featuring an adjacent four-storey apartment building. In total, the construction project would involve 272 units.

“We plan to be out in full force,” said Alan Ferguson, one of the opposition group’s organizers.

The protesters dubbed themselves the Sun People because they fear the tower will cast a shadow on their properties.

They formed last year, when the project first came before council. That application was rejected last May by council after a heated public debate.

In February, the group collected hundreds of signatures on an anti-tower petition which they plan to distribute at the public hearing.

“We want the people who signed the petition to show up in person. We want to show council we are more than just names on paper,” said Ferguson.

Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties sent a new application into the city with some changes that protesters have called “minor.”

The public hearing is scheduled for April 26 at 7 p.m.

“It’s in the public domain now,” said Abbotsford Mayor George Peary, adding that the city has to densify.

While he understands the concerns, Peary asked where should a tower be constructed.

“Will it destroy the neighbourhood? No. Will it change the neighbourhood? Yes.”

The proposal almost didn’t make it to a public hearing as council voted 5-4 to move it forward.

Coun. Les Barkman was one of the four (including Patricia Ross, Simon Gibson and Lynne Harris) against the project.

He believes South Fraser Way is more appropriate for a high-rise, adding the area of Bevan Avenue has too many residential neighbours.

Barkman said six storeys should be the “maximum” in that area.

“I’m not against densification, just this type. It’s a nice project, in the wrong place.”

Abbotsford News - http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/news/90763904.html

Kodii
Apr 28, 2010, 3:38 AM
Tower's fate will wait until May 10

Published: April 27, 2010 1:00 AM
Updated: April 27, 2010 3:00 PM

Emotions were running high as supporters and opponents of the proposed Mahogany at Mill Lake tower project came out in full force Monday night.

The public hearing was a battle of the buttons as local residents against the tower – calling themselves the Sun People due to concerns the structure will cast a shadow on their homes – wore sun badges. Those in favour sported large YES buttons.

Four hours and 59 speakers later, council followed standard procedure and deferred voting on the issue until May 10.

That allows two weeks to ponder the comments made on both sides of the argument.

“I stand in opposition to this project . . . it stands 24 storeys higher than any of its neighbours,” said Dr. Kirk Austin

The proposed 26-storey (80 metres) building would be located at 32828 Bevan Ave. and feature an adjacent four-storey apartment building. In total, the project would involve 272 units.

The application first came before council last year but was rejected in May 2009 after a heated public debate.

Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties sent a new application into the city with some changes that protesters have called “minor.”

“What a difference a year makes,” said Alan Ferguson, one of the protest group’s organizers.

Looking at the packed crowd in Matsqui Centennial Auditorium, Ferguson made a verbal jab at the tower’s supporters.

“It’s amazing what an office memo and a box of buttons will do.”

He questioned the public hearing, telling council that many people are “burnt out” by fighting the same issue again.

“Some feel even if we get this voted down, we will be back here again in six months.”

By law, if the tower is rejected, Quantum can re-apply every six months.

While the unofficial tally was 35 speaker against and 24 in favour, the yes side had some heavy-hitters speaking in favour.

David Hull, executive director of the Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce, argued the project fit the requirements of the city’s Official Community Plan and should therefore be approved.

“The council needs to apply objective, consistent, and defensible standards as set out in previously adopted bylaws that empower the OCP. Not to simply reject this application out of hand with what is essentially an indefensible position.”

Paul Esposito Sr., owner of Finnegan’s Pub and the Phoenix Restaurant, said both sides had shown passion and reason in their arguments.

“I believe in development, I believe in Quantum Properties and I believe in your judgment,” he told council.

The Abbotsford News - http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/news/92190139.html

mike474
Apr 30, 2010, 5:30 AM
As a former Abbotsfordian (is that what you're called?) I'm pleased I stumbled across this thread. I hope this thing gets built. I like the church suggestion :haha:

Sonicwolf
May 11, 2010, 4:54 AM
I was at the meeting tonight, front row. The entire project was approved.

hollywoodnorth
May 11, 2010, 5:04 AM
I was at the meeting tonight, front row. The entire project was approved.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Sonicwolf
May 11, 2010, 5:44 AM
Controversial Abbotsford highrise approved

CBC News

Abbotsford city council has approved construction of a controversial condominium highrise that is nearly twice the height of the current tallest building in the Fraser Valley community.

The 26-storey Mahogany at Mill Lake Tower was given the green light in a 5-4 vote at a council meeting Monday night.

Opponents have said the 272-unit structure will cast shadows on their single-family homes and make it possible for condo residents to peer down and invade their neighbours' privacy.

The tallest building in Abbotsford is an apartment highrise that reaches 16 storeys.

An application by Abbotsford-based Quantum Properties to build an 83-metre building was rejected by city council in May 2009.

The Mill Lake Tower plan that won approval Monday was re-submitted with a specified a height of 80 metres.

Both proponents and opponents of the project argued that their position is in accord with the official community plan.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/05/10/bc-abbotsford-mahogany-tower-approved.html

Kodii
May 11, 2010, 2:49 PM
WOOHOO!! :yes:

After... over a decade? We are finally getting another high-rise.

SFUVancouver
May 11, 2010, 5:47 PM
Good on Abbotsford Council for approving this.

Residents' concerns about shadowing and privacy should not be dismissed out of hand but I suspect project opponents did themselves a disservice by making hysterical statements like calling the proposed tower an atrocity (on par with Guernica perhaps?) and implying it will be full of sunlight hoarding peeping toms.

Sonicwolf
May 11, 2010, 7:01 PM
I guess this is the time in which the topic title should be changed to "[Abbotsford] Mahogany at Mill Lake | 80m | 26 Floors | Approved"

Once construction begins, I guess Ill pop on by the site for photographic updates.

idunno
May 11, 2010, 7:05 PM
Great news!

Jefff
May 11, 2010, 7:28 PM
About time....Looks like I'll be moving out here from langley (I work for an EE firm in abbotsford)

Kodii
May 11, 2010, 7:30 PM
Abbotsford tower project gets the green light

After more than a year of debate, discussion and several public protests, the Mahogany at Mill Lake tower project is moving forward.

On Monday night, Abbotsford council voted 5-4 to give second and third reading to a zoning application that would allow the 26-storey, 80-metre tall tower to be constructed at 32828 Bevan Ave. The project also includes an adjacent four-storey apartment building. In total it involves 272 units.

Area residents have been fighting the proposal for the past year, and tempers spilled over after the vote was taken.

"You guys sold out," yelled one member of the audience while another shouted "It's a bad day for Abbotsford."

"Let me salute the people of this neighbourhood," said Mayor George Peary who commended their efforts and their pride for the community. However he said density is something the city has to do.

That was a similar sentiment with the councillors who voted in favour of the project.

Coun. John Smith said he "agonized" over the decision but had to "think of the bigger picture."

Peary, Smith, Bill MacGregor, Dave Loewen and Moe Gill voted in favour of the project with Patricia Ross, Les Barkman, Simon Gibson and Lynne Harris voting against.

Harris said it was "astounding" that council was voting on this issue again - a similar proposal was defeated last May - when the project was "so overwhelmingly" opposed by the neighbourhood.

"The issue is people ... I can't imagine how life will be for them," said Harris.

Abbotsford News - http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/news/93378519.html

DKaz
May 11, 2010, 8:12 PM
Nice.

There's also another high rise planned on Gladwin a block north of South Fraser Way, basically in the existing parking lot next to Thumpers Patch. I'm not sure about the name of the project but it'll be 25 storeys high plus one underground parking level. I'll post more details when I figure out how to start a new thread but hey two new high rises is good news for Abbotsford. :)

idunno
May 11, 2010, 8:13 PM
Wow these people are really crazy - from a comment there -

"We moved here because it was the closest we could get to the tranquility of being in the country...I sit here with tears in my eyes, knowing that you have forever wrecked the landscape of Abbotsford, and the beauty of Mill Lake."

?!?! You'd think it's the apocalypse or something.

Sonicwolf
May 11, 2010, 8:16 PM

"We moved here because it was the closest we could get to the tranquility of being in the country...I sit here with tears in my eyes, knowing that you have forever wrecked the landscape of Abbotsford, and the beauty of Mill Lake."

Also considering the fact that there has been a highrise adjacent to Mill Lake for over a decade now...

Jefff
May 11, 2010, 8:35 PM

yeah, especially considering the site is less than a km from S. Fraser Way, the big mall, etc.....who moves to the "downtown" part of a city and expects tranquility? You want tranquility, move to hope, or the suburbs.

Sonicwolf
May 11, 2010, 10:13 PM
Nice.

There's also another high rise planned on Gladwin a block north of South Fraser Way, basically in the existing parking lot next to Thumpers Patch. I'm not sure about the name of the project but it'll be 25 storeys high plus one underground parking level. I'll post more details when I figure out how to start a new thread but hey two new high rises is good news for Abbotsford. :)

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss191/Sonicwolf359/DSC09955.jpg
Photo taken by me.

That is the sign on the parking lot on Gladwin.

WarrenC12
May 11, 2010, 10:16 PM
Who's going to be left to fill these new homes with all of the murders?

Sorry, bad joke. But Abbotsford is once again the murder capital of Canada.

RosstheBoss
May 11, 2010, 11:09 PM
wow i thought i would never see the day that Abbotsford city council actually managed to pass another high-rise. To be honest i was actually getting quite worried for awhile that the Brio was going to be our closest attempt at building high. Hopefully this paves the way to creating a proper city core for the future. We will see.

Sonicwolf
May 11, 2010, 11:56 PM
wow i thought i would never see the day that Abbotsford city council actually managed to pass another high-rise. To be honest i was actually getting quite worried for awhile that the Brio was going to be our closest attempt at building high. Hopefully this paves the way to creating a proper city core for the future. We will see.

Lets just hope we dont have to wait until 2021 for the next high-rise...

Jefff
May 13, 2010, 1:42 AM
doesn't seem like there's a lot of abbotsfordians on here (i wonder why:haha: )...but i work for a engineering firm out here in Abbotsford, hopefully we'll get the mahogany job and i'll be able to provide updates on the progress.

My father is also an Architect in Abbotsford (designed the new Emco tower, a bunch of other buildings over the last 20 years)....wish I had known about this forum sooner so I could have filled people in when they were wondering about the emco building earlier in this thread.

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of high rises on the table....3 more towers on Gladwin, a couple on S. Fraser way, etc...I think Abbotsford might be finally moving in the right direction and the next few years look like they could be pretty exciting.

I'm kind of a newb here so I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post a thread about an already completed project, but my company is moving into the new Mill Tower on Gladys ave. I thought it was a pretty interesting building:

http://www.milltower.ca/

we move on friday, If you guys are interested I'll take some pics and post em up.

cheers

squeezied
May 13, 2010, 2:23 AM
Interestingly enough, I also work for an engineering firm in Surrey and will be transferred in June to a branch office at the Mill Tower. Unfortunately that adds another 30 mins to my already hellish commute.

Jefff
May 13, 2010, 2:48 AM
well i guess that means you'll have to buy a unit in mahogany :haha:

squeezied
May 13, 2010, 3:28 AM
well I'm just in a co-op term for only 3 months so I'll suck it up with the commute, though the drive will be pretty hellish in the summer heat as my old rustic corolla doesn't have ac. owellz