PDA

View Full Version : [Halifax] The Vincent Coleman | ? m | 9 fl | Completed

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dmajackson
Mar 6, 2009, 8:41 PM
This is the new proposal for the 6955 Bayers Road site. It has been completely revised to be a 9 storey building with a bigger footprint.

Rendering(s):

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/images/01228Render9StoreyA.jpg

Current Progress:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/4953044760_1e951ce330_z.jpg
Credit: Dmajackson

Floors: 9
Height: Unknown
Uses: Residential
Year Completed:
Location: 6955 Bayers in front of St. Andrews Community Centre
Architect: Kassner/Goodspeed
Additonal Information: Includes new curbs and sidewalk for access road, a landscaped podium, and upgrades for the Halifax Memorial Graveyard.

Spitfire75
Mar 6, 2009, 9:36 PM
That is quite a large footprint, but this is what happens when taller proposals are rejected.

On the other hand, I kinda like it and think it will fit in a lot better with the surrounding buildings.

gm_scott
Mar 7, 2009, 12:00 AM
I hope this doesn't look like everything put in next to Bayer's Lake. A nice tall slim tower probably would of been better,

dartmouthian
Mar 7, 2009, 12:17 AM
Why would you want it to fit in with the surrounding buildings? They are mostly crap and to attempt to fit in with that is just a recipe for chronic mediocrity.

Spitfire75
Mar 7, 2009, 5:39 AM
Sorry I meant fit in height-wise, that's all. I agree that the apartment buildings nearby are very ugly.

Dmajackson
May 15, 2009, 7:06 PM
June 15, 2009 Peninsula Community Council - 7:00 p.m.

Public hearing:

Case 01228 - Development Agreement, 6955 Bayers Road, Halifax.

Spitfire75
May 15, 2009, 8:34 PM
I hope this gets approved. This is a good location and it's sad to see it sit there undeveloped.

DigitalNinja
May 17, 2009, 9:37 PM
Agreed, it's not even a park or anything just a grass lawn basically. I hope they do something good with this building and make it nice for such a large stumpy building. Maybe add sections of varrying heights and all that Jazz.

miesh111
May 19, 2009, 5:39 PM
They're not going to do anything special. The deveoloper tried to build the landmark building as a 'welcome to Halifax' and they shot him down. He was going to open up a large portion of the lot as parkland, fix the roads in front to allow for better access, and build a proper monument to the halifax explosion victims instead of the crummy chain link barn hole that is there now; but they shot him down.

Now, he is going to take up every square inch of the lot with the building or pavement for parking, and probably make it ugly. Varrying heights isn't feasable cause it means he would have to have elevators in several areas of the building for access, as well as seperate fire stairwells etc. and he's getting hosed by the city now so why would he do anything special? I say build it, make it bright purple with pink window casings, and then tell the city and anti development assholes who stood up to this what a great job they did protecting their neighbourhood.

DigitalNinja
May 19, 2009, 5:50 PM
The anti development people will just come back with he built such an ugly building anyway why should we allow for more people to build. I wish it wasn't shot down, 2 blocks away there were tall buildings as well and it would have looked good. I hate people.

miesh111
May 19, 2009, 6:23 PM
Perhaps that's the real Anti-Development goal, to frustrate developers into building ugly things, giving them even more fuel to be anti-development, kind of a self serving hoax to give them public time.

Waye Mason
May 19, 2009, 7:18 PM
It is because the current rules don't mandate mass, quality of materials, or any of that. We should have these rules, why the hell not? Some kind of basic floor, standards that would be region wide, something we should aim to exceed in local planning strategies, but some kind of "this bad, and no worse" rule.

Make some minimum standards, and allow an exemption application process for new and innovative design.

Takeo
May 19, 2009, 8:43 PM
Now, he is going to take up every square inch of the lot with the building or pavement for parking, and probably make it ugly.

I like a modern tower as much as anyone, but filling a lot right to the edge is more 'urban' than having a large open space around a tower. Large open spaces look nice on paper and were very popular in the '60's... but in reality they become a "no mans land". When I think of towers surrounded by big open spaces I think of the utopian Corbusier vision of "islands in the sky" and the horrible housing projects that resulted... like The Robert Taylor Homes in Chicago. The same thinking is what inspired Scotia Square... two "islands in the sky" surrounded by a massive outdoor pedestrian plaza (which was never fully realized)... and we all know how well that turned out.

That said... this building still isn't really filling the lot either... it'll be pulled back from the sidewalk and surrounded by parking.

miesh111
May 20, 2009, 5:40 PM
What I'm talking about here is green space. Livable, inviting, green space that when you drive by, or walk through, you say, wow, this neighborhood is really really nice because there is grass and flowers and trees and it gives a great feel. Now, we lose all that ability, because, as you said in agreement with my comment, there will be parking and the building. No real provisions for the improvements to the area that the initial tower proposed.

The original proposal was a far superior proposal, and its sad that height be the only thing that stopped it, as oppose the real benefits to the community and city. As a counselor, I would turn down the current shorter proposal well before I would ever turn down the tower with improvements to the road, the green area, the explosion memorial and more.

Our counselors are a bunch of panderers and only care about their $65,000 a year salary, contrary to what they say they could get in the private sector.

Dmajackson
Jun 15, 2009, 4:20 PM
This is going before Peninsula Community Council TONIGHT!

DigitalNinja
Jun 16, 2009, 9:08 PM
Hold your breath!

Jonovision
Jun 17, 2009, 10:33 AM
Any news on what came of this?

Dmajackson
Jun 17, 2009, 7:47 PM
Any news on what came of this?

I don't know yet but I just emailed Councillor Blumenthal so hopefully if hes anything like the other councillors I'll have an answer by the end of the night regarding the verdict on this.

Dmajackson
Jun 18, 2009, 12:06 AM
Blumenthal got back to me;

Approved on Monday in a 4-0 vote. :)

DigitalNinja
Jun 18, 2009, 12:08 AM
Now we need some renders

Dmajackson
Jun 18, 2009, 7:53 PM
Now we need some renders

They are on this page: (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case01228Details.html)

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/images/01228Render9StoreyA.jpg

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/images/01228Render9StoreyB.jpg

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/images/01228Render9StoreyCbirdseye.jpg

I'm not normally one to diss an architect but that is seriously one ugly peice of sh*t :yuck:

Maybe council will learn the tallers one look sexy while short ones are bulky and turn out like this.

Phalanx
Jun 18, 2009, 8:15 PM
The colours shown certainly don't do it any favours. It looks like they at least tried to do something interesting by making it look like two otherwise generic buildings are passing through each other.

Could be worse... Could be a lot better, too, but... could be worse.

Jonovision
Jun 19, 2009, 2:19 AM
I will say it could have been much much worse. I'm not that unhappy with it. Sure a tower would have been nicer of course. But it looks like there will be a large rooftop terrace. The colours could still use some tweaking however.

kph06
Nov 17, 2009, 12:10 PM
I noticed driving by today that there is an excavator on site with a breaker, looks as though they might tackle the concrete slab in the middle of this site.

fenwick16
Nov 18, 2009, 1:01 AM

I'm not normally one to diss an architect but that is seriously one ugly peice of sh*t :yuck:

Maybe council will learn the tallers one look sexy while short ones are bulky and turn out like this.

Living in the Toronto area, I must be starting to getting tired of seeing redundant glass condo towers, because to me this looks very unique and interesting. I am not just trying to be positive; I like the variety of new buildings in the Halifax area. I especially like the Nova Centre and the Saint Joseph proposal.

Just because there are a lot of glass condos in the Toronto and Vancouver area it doesn't mean that they are architecturally superior. Isn't part of architectural design uniqueness and having a building that fits into its surroundings?

kph06
Nov 18, 2009, 1:36 AM
I drove by again tonight and it definitely seems like things are a go. The site is now fenced off and there are three excavators on site, with progress already well under way.

sdm
Nov 18, 2009, 2:48 AM
the windows look like a bunker, no natural light.

the design is a take off of elements of Gladstone, 5800 South, and the apartment building on the corner of Robie and North.

Guess thats what we get when council limits heights and forces the developer to make the project economical.

Its better then expected. Anyone know the material choices for the exterior? Precast or ?

alps
Nov 18, 2009, 4:22 AM
Great, a huge swath of blank wall facing the street, not like there's enough graffiti around there. I like how they call it a "landscape podium green roof" rather than "massive, ugly, horribly-positioned one-storey garage with sod on top"

Nice work, NIMBYs

Toronto and Vancouver glass condo towers might be a bit boring, but at least they're attractive. I'm sure people here would be more open to highrise development if new developments weren't all as ugly and unpleasant as this and the two newer buildings on South Street. Dunno what the fetish for (fake) brick here is all about.

That said, I am happy for increasing density in this area (this and the redevelopment of the Bayers Road Shopping Centre).

fenwick16
Nov 18, 2009, 4:46 AM
Perhaps this is an abstract representation of the Imo and Mont Blanc collision.

I really think this is an interesting building.

someone123
Nov 18, 2009, 8:38 AM
Towers may not necessarily have been better. The fact is that they could also have designed a nice 9 storey development that would have been fine for the area.

This probably won't be too bad, but it doesn't relate well to the street and is a lost opportunity. A better development would have had some retail space out in front along the sidewalk with a couple of floors of office above then some residential set back away from the street. Parking could have gone in behind; there was plenty of land to work with for this development.

Infill is better than nothing but I really wish they'd force developers to move away from old suburban-style site planning. More thought needs to be spent on making walking, biking, and transit more convenient. In many cases these can be accommodated with little or no cost and no drawback for drivers.

fenwick16
Nov 18, 2009, 12:55 PM
Towers may not necessarily have been better. The fact is that they could also have designed a nice 9 storey development that would have been fine for the area.

This probably won't be too bad, but it doesn't relate well to the street and is a lost opportunity. A better development would have had some retail space out in front along the sidewalk with a couple of floors of office above then some residential set back away from the street. Parking could have gone in behind; there was plenty of land to work with for this development.

Infill is better than nothing but I really wish they'd force developers to move away from old suburban-style site planning. More thought needs to be spent on making walking, biking, and transit more convenient. In many cases these can be accommodated with little or no cost and no drawback for drivers.

I don't see how this can be classified as suburban-style planning. I have never seen anything like this before and I have been fortunate enough to have been to many of the major cities in North America. I hope that it will be as interesting once complete as it is in the renderings. I actually like the colour scheme since is clearly breaks it into two buildings. Have you ever seen anything similar to this anywhere else? This is not meant to be sarcastic, I think that this really is unique. I wonder how they will incorporate this dual-building design into the floor plans?

If this is actually built to this design, I think that you will see a lot of it on the internet due to its uniqueness.

JET
Nov 18, 2009, 12:59 PM
Looks a bit like a hospital that's been added on to a few times. JET

Jonovision
Nov 18, 2009, 1:28 PM
I think what he meant by suburban-style planning is that the building is built away from the street with a driveway and a large redundant open grass area surrounding it. Most of the buildings up in Clayton Park are built this way and it makes for a very poor urban environment. It does nothing to reinforce the street line or to help people move along the site.

hfx_chris
Nov 18, 2009, 1:41 PM
...to me this looks very unique and interesting.
I have to agree, I think this looks quite nice. In fact I really like it, I just wish the balconies were a bit bigger.

Looks a bit like a hospital that's been added on to a few times. JET
Maybe this is what I like about it, it does look rather institutional.

worldlyhaligonian
Nov 18, 2009, 7:46 PM
I would have preferred the big tower... but this will have to do.

alps
Nov 18, 2009, 10:05 PM
I don't see how this can be classified as suburban-style planning. I have never seen anything like this before and I have been fortunate enough to have been to many of the major cities in North America. I hope that it will be as interesting once complete as it is in the renderings. I actually like the colour scheme since is clearly breaks it into two buildings. Have you ever seen anything similar to this anywhere else? This is not meant to be sarcastic, I think that this really is unique. I wonder how they will incorporate this dual-building design into the floor plans?

If this is actually built to this design, I think that you will see a lot of it on the internet due to its uniqueness.

What makes this unique?

It's suburban in the sense that there is no effort to accommodate those not traveling by car, as well as the way it (doesn't) relate to the street. It's essentially Gladstone Ridge with no attempt to integrate into the neighbourhood, with uglier materials, and with the the towers smooshed into each other (the only thing remotely interesting about this project). I know I'm being really negative, but we have such low expectations. I have no doubt that wall running the length of Bayers is going to do something wicked to the wind for the people waiting for the bus, and people will jump on this project in the future in the same way they use Scotia Square or Maritime Centre as evidence that all highrises are bad, even though it's just a matter of our history of particularly bad design. Rambly I know, but I need to rush off now.

fenwick16
Nov 18, 2009, 11:09 PM
It could have been two separate buildings and then it would have been two rather uninteresting buildings. Or, they could have simply connected them in an L shape which again would have been boring. To me, the fact that they blended the two together in an interesting manner is what makes it unique. However, you can prove me wrong by posting some images of other similar buildings.

At the risk of offending somebody, my definition of uninteresting would be the Horizon Court buildings in Dartmouth. These are simply highrises with no unique features.

DigitalNinja
Nov 24, 2009, 12:40 AM
I don't think everyone is seeing the 1story garage on the left of it. As people are saying a big green open space... Yeah there is, but 1 story up ontop of a huge garage.

fenwick16
Nov 24, 2009, 12:48 AM
I don't think everyone is seeing the 1story garage on the left of it. As people are saying a big green open space... Yeah there is, but 1 story up ontop of a huge garage.

I missed this garage section. Are you saying that it is good or bad? I see it now; are they really planning to plant grass on it?

DigitalNinja
Nov 24, 2009, 7:48 PM
Well it leaves a long blank wall around 75% of the property.

fenwick16
Nov 24, 2009, 10:19 PM
It is kind of unusual since it appears to only be 2 -3 feet high based on the first floor windows and balconys.

Wishblade
Nov 24, 2009, 10:26 PM
It is kind of unusual since it appears to only be 2 -3 feet high based on the first floor windows and balconys.

maybe most of it will be underground? Still seems wierd to me too though.

Haliguy
Dec 1, 2009, 3:19 AM
Drove by there tonight and it looks like they are doing a lot of excavating work on site.

FuzzyWuz
Dec 2, 2009, 3:23 PM
I see they're breaking rock already. BTW, who buys the material they remove? There's a lot of need for topsoil as well as fill.

kph06
Dec 3, 2009, 6:57 PM
I see they're breaking rock already. BTW, who buys the material they remove? There's a lot of need for topsoil as well as fill.

Depends on the material, most shale (what they are breaking here) is pyritic slate and can only be taken to certain sites. This most commonly goes to the Bedford Basin infilling as the salt water neutralizes the acids. The rest is used as fill in subdivisions or other projects; usually the contractor has a site nearby where the excess will go before they bid the job. When the water main was renewed on King St. this summer all the fill went to King's Warf. If there is no need in the area it will usually be trucked back to the contractors shop and used eventually. In this case, All-terrain is the contractor, and their parent company is Earthco (could be Earthworks) and they sell fill among other things. They currently have a site on Glendale they are selling fill from.

Dmajackson
Dec 31, 2009, 8:52 PM
From today;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4231404213_48defd0730_b.jpg

kph06
Jan 19, 2010, 8:46 PM
The first couple sections of the tower crane are now up.

Wishblade
Jan 19, 2010, 8:47 PM

Should be a nice sight coming into the city on the 102.

Dmajackson
Jan 19, 2010, 8:52 PM

Well this one's coming along quickly ... Don't they usually wait for the hole to be dug first?

kph06
Jan 19, 2010, 10:12 PM
Well this one's coming along quickly ... Don't they usually wait for the hole to be dug first?

Yes, but as there is only one level of parking I think they have attained full depth. It seems common to have the first section or two of the crane in place a few days to a week before the rest of the crane to allow the concrete anchor to set up, I believe this was the case with the Trillium and Kaye Street.

Dmajackson
Jan 19, 2010, 10:40 PM
Yes, but as there is only one level of parking I think they have attained full depth. It seems common to have the first section or two of the crane in place a few days to a week before the rest of the crane to allow the concrete anchor to set up, I believe this was the case with the Trillium and Kaye Street.

Its defenitely possible that they are done digging its just quicker than most Halifax projects.

It'll be nice to see something other than bumpers and headlights coming in town from the Bi-Hi. :)

worldlyhaligonian
Jan 19, 2010, 10:53 PM
I drove by today around 3 and the crane base was in place (concrete and frame). A concrete truck with a hose was on site.

I think this one will progress quite quickly, as its halfway through the winter and they have a fair start on things.

If the Dutch Village buiding goes up the view up Bayers will look well integrated into Clayton Park.

kph06
Jan 25, 2010, 9:18 PM
Expect to see the tower crane going up either tomorrow or the next day, A.W Leil has a mobile crane on-site.

Dmajackson
Jan 25, 2010, 10:18 PM
Expect to see the tower crane going up either tomorrow or the next day, A.W Leil has a mobile crane on-site.

Perfect timing too. I'm going on my phototour on Friday so I can get some nice shots of the crane. :)

kph06
Jan 27, 2010, 3:31 PM
Two photos from today by me:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2773/4309361900_03c17760df_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4308625063_801209e8ec_b.jpg

I believe the tower crane is one that can build itself heigher as the building goes, the second picture shows this. As it is right now, I don't think it is as tall as the building so they'd have to add a section or two as work progresses.

Dmajackson
Jan 29, 2010, 5:59 PM
From today;

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2800/4313600031_e229ae5f75_b.jpg

Jstaleness
Jan 29, 2010, 6:23 PM
I drove by a few hrs ago and saw that beautiful crane. Looks great coming down the hill toward it.

someone123
Jan 29, 2010, 7:45 PM
I drove by a few hrs ago and saw that beautiful crane. Looks great coming down the hill toward it.

One neat thing about this project is how prominent it will look from the Fairview hill when you're coming down the 102.

Gladstone Ridge is also pretty visible from a bunch of different places.

Dmajackson
Feb 13, 2010, 11:02 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4354887610_64739d06a3_b.jpg

Dmajackson
Feb 17, 2010, 6:16 PM
Excavation crew digs up unmarked grave near cemetery
Wed. Feb 17 - 4:53 AM

An excavation crew unearthed an unmarked grave Tuesday morning in Halifax.

"In the course of their excavation, they came up with some remains," said Const. Brian Palmeter, a Halifax Regional Police spokesman.

Police were called in and the remains are now in the possession of the medical examiner, Palmeter said.

The discovery was made near St. Andrews Centre off Bayers Road.

"There is a graveyard in close proximity," Palmeter said.

There are 133 people reported to be buried at West End Cemetery and 124 of them are unidentified victims of the Halifax Explosion. They are buried in a common plot the Halifax Relief Commission purchased.

As well, nine members of the Johnson family are buried in plots purchased in 1931. George Johnson was the last family member to be buried there in 1981.

The cemetery is also believed to have once been used as a paupers graveyard for those unable to afford burial at Fairview Lawn Cemetery.

fenwick16
Feb 17, 2010, 10:56 PM
This one is moving right along. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Dmajackson
Feb 19, 2010, 12:15 PM
Recovered decades-old remains to be reburied
By DAN ARSENAULT Staff Reporter
Fri. Feb 19 - 4:53 AM

Some decades-old, unidentified human remains that were unearthed at a Halifax construction site this week will get a new resting place at the Fairview Lawn Cemetery.

Excavators called police when they found the bones while digging in front of the St. Anthony’s Community Centre on Bayers Road. Municipal officials were contacted afterwards.

Bill Arbuckle, supervisor of cemetery operations for Halifax Regional Municipality, doesn’t know the gender of the remains, which had no identification.

He said the Fairview Lawn Cemetery used to be much larger. The cemetery originated around 1893 as a private enterprise. It stretched from Windsor Street at Strawberry Hill to Bayers Road, but was moved far back from Bayers Road in the 1940s when the City of Halifax took it over.

"At that time they exhumed all the remains, obviously they must have missed a little . . . and brought them over to Fairview Lawn Cemetery," Arbuckle said Thursday.

One section of the old cemetery wasn’t moved, though. The fenced-off Fairview Cemetery Annex still holds an unknown number of graves near the Bayers Park Apartments on Bayers Road.

The local municipal councillor said he’d like to see a temporary halt to the excavation work while experts are brought in.

Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End) said the developer shouldn’t be able to do more work there until the site is examined.

( darsenault@herald.ca )

Dmajackson
Mar 10, 2010, 8:27 PM
Some of the foundation and basement columns have been poured.

Dmajackson
Mar 16, 2010, 9:27 PM
From today;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4438521705_71ce5b59ed_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2691/4439300684_f9d74904a2_b.jpg

fenwick16
Mar 25, 2010, 8:28 AM

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/images/01228Render9StoreyB.jpg

I think that this one (above) is interesting. Initially this was going to be a 16 storey single tower but it was rejected by municipal Council. I think that the architect had some fun with this one. Sort of a form of rebellion; it looks like a ship wreck (but in an interesting way). It is two different buildings merged into one (did the municipal council have the renderings when they approved this :haha:, I wonder if they knew what they were getting?) . Along the lines of the more modern proposal below for Bratislava, Slovakia (source username Alien, http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=337770&page=2 ). I would enjoy seeing a building like the one below be proposed for Halifax (just to see the reaction). However, I think that Halifax will have to be introduced to these designs in small steps. The thing that causes me some concern with the one above is the colour scheme. The one above in Halifax is under construction, whereas the one below is just a far fetched proposal. This is why I think that this is actually a step towards modern design in Halifax (I have never seen an actual building like this, which is two buildings merged together, in any of the cities that I have ever visited)

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/8606/clipboard424xn.jpg

Phalanx
Mar 25, 2010, 12:06 PM
I think that this one (above) is interesting. Initially this was going to be a 16 storey single tower but it was rejected by municipal Council. I think that the architect had some fun with this one. Sort of a form of rebellion; it looks like a ship wreck (but in an interesting way). It is two different buildings merged into one (did the municipal council have the renderings when they approved this :haha:, I wonder if they knew what they were getting?) .(...)

Given that there's a memorial to unidentified victims of the Halifax Explosion in the 'back yard', I think looking like two ships colliding probably has more to do with that... (which I believe someone else already observed in this thread) Kinda tacky, if so.

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 25, 2010, 2:37 PM
I just hate the glass part... otherwise its not too bad.

I like how it blocks the view of Alta gymnastics which is an ugly industrial looking building.

halifaxboyns
Mar 25, 2010, 5:36 PM
Not sure on this one - not really to my taste colour wise; but then again we all have different styles. I personally would've pushed the building closer to the street and pushed the parking to the rear - that way you aren't seeing a big expanse of paved parking area at the front as you drive by. At least you'd have the building there; which could create interest.

I'm not a big fan of largly unpaved expanses of parking.

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 25, 2010, 8:11 PM
I'm not a big fan of largly unpaved expanses of parking.

I think the HT are the only ones that do.

DigitalNinja
Mar 25, 2010, 8:31 PM
Saying that reminds me of something, I didn't know the HT had their office or what ever in the Khyber building.

Jstaleness
May 6, 2010, 11:58 PM
For anyone not local to the area. Pictures from a few weeks ago speak pretty much the same story today. Still at even ground level but a lot more wall supports and exterior finished now.

kph06
May 7, 2010, 1:47 AM
It's a pretty big floor plate per level, so its taking a while. they have most of the forms in place for the 1st floor slab. They did the water and sewer servicing out to Bayers Road last week and that really jammed up traffic. The contractor went beyond their 4:00pm deadline so traffic backed up everywhere.

Dmajackson
May 15, 2010, 1:31 AM
The rear side of this now has the 1st (ground) floor slab poured. What surprised me when I went around to the rear of this was how close this building will be to the Community Centre.

fenwick16
May 15, 2010, 7:41 PM
The rear side of this now has the 1st (ground) floor slab poured. What surprised me when I went around to the rear of this was how close this building will be to the Community Centre.

Are all of the footing in place showing the entire footprint of the complex? If you can please get a picture sometime.

Keith P.
May 15, 2010, 8:36 PM
Saying that reminds me of something, I didn't know the HT had their office or what ever in the Khyber building.

All the more reason why that decrepit eyesore should be demolished. :whip:

Dmajackson
May 16, 2010, 5:23 PM
Are all of the footing in place showing the entire footprint of the complex? If you can please get a picture sometime.

It was hard to find a good angle to show it but I think the last photo shows it to a limited extent.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1414/4612418834_94a2cd7538_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1154/4611808711_4d2021890e_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1103/4611811253_83342a10fc_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1196/4612426342_40accb3413_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1008/4612428986_002c5dee34_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4612431074_c1160f3c79_b.jpg

fenwick16
May 16, 2010, 6:34 PM
Thanks for the photos. I am interested in seeing how this one turns out.

hfxtradesman
Jun 10, 2010, 12:37 AM
This one is taking it's time. The second floor is starting and some of the trades shoud be doing work there next week on the lower level

Dmajackson
Jun 13, 2010, 12:52 PM
Just two from yesterday;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4695331828_1cfc2e0a33_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4694699085_e54b47e028_b.jpg

Dmajackson
Jun 21, 2010, 6:13 PM
I only bothered taking one photo of this today;

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1231/4721186895_5177cd2e3f_b.jpg

Dmajackson
Jul 3, 2010, 4:00 PM
Part of the third floor now poured;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4757931328_ec64bde2ba_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4757292787_522ae6cd88_b.jpg

fenwick16
Jul 3, 2010, 8:32 PM
Thanks for the updates. The second image appears to be the wing of the building that will merge with the first. The only thing that I don't like about this project is the colour scheme. I would like it better if the green section were white or off-white in this rendering http://www.halifax.ca/planning/images/01228Render9StoreyCbirdseye.jpg

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 3, 2010, 11:42 PM
^ I don't think those colours will accurately reflect the end product.

Thanks for the update DJ. The form of this building looks good, but I am also concerned about exterior cladding. Precast > Thin Fake Stone.

Dmajackson
Jul 10, 2010, 6:22 PM
Just a quickie;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4780707438_f4b24330c8_z.jpg

BTW the crane and building are now visible from Mount Royale. See the skyline/Mount Royale thread for the photo.

pascalosti
Jul 20, 2010, 4:46 PM
is there a company website for this condo?

sdm
Jul 20, 2010, 5:25 PM
is there a company website for this condo?

Not yet, and i believe its rental apartments

halifaxboyns
Jul 21, 2010, 5:20 AM
What troubles me about the project (still) is the access. A right in and out doesn't seem that great to me; because now you'll force more traffic onto the one way street near Mailing Street - in order to head back downtown (or the turning lane to go through the underpass by the fire station).

Plus with the potential widening of Bayer's Road - much of the landscape buffer between the building and the road is going to get eatten up. I hope they plant some good trees along there; versus a fence. The trees will be better in the long run and less prone to vandalism.

alps
Jul 29, 2010, 3:38 AM
Drive-by shot from earlier today:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/halps00/b8eac3c1.jpg
(my photo)

Dmajackson
Jul 29, 2010, 3:55 AM
^Interesting timing I'm just starting to upload photos from Monday;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4839279211_229e64513d_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/4839277297_af721b5ff0_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Jul 31, 2010, 8:59 PM
I've updated the first post in this thread.

Dmajackson
Aug 5, 2010, 5:40 PM
From Tuesday;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/4863779380_4c80bd1e1c_z.jpg

worldlyhaligonian
Aug 11, 2010, 12:20 AM
Check this out... turn on Bing's new 3d option with bird's eye view.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=44.6563209761809~-63.622085233626166&lvl=17&sty=h&tlt=-38.5229770884329&alt=1086.69226092007&dir=0&cam=44.641465495748~-63.6279773189461&phx=-0.141164893426142&phy=-0.415866209947996&phscl=1.91263773566053&where1=Clayton%20Park%2C%20NS

This area is still underutilized... they need to put up a tall residential building in that parking lot!

fenwick16
Aug 11, 2010, 3:51 AM
From Tuesday;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/4863779380_4c80bd1e1c_z.jpg

This is really moving along. Thanks for the picture.

Dmajackson
Aug 11, 2010, 4:09 AM
This is really moving along. Thanks for the picture.

What until you see the ones from today (well yesterday looking at the clock ...)

There's still no exterior up but they're on the seventh and third floors now and certainly going at a fast pace. They almost had as much activity as Kings Wharf this time (and thats saying a lot).

DigitalNinja
Aug 11, 2010, 12:15 PM
Wow this is going up quickly maybe after this building we will see them put in another proposal... Something a little taller, that will go through :P

Dmajackson
Aug 11, 2010, 10:31 PM
From Tuesday;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4882862267_1b396a58b3_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4882864595_52e2d29f6e_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4882866659_1c38ee156d_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/4882868803_6ecf417de9_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4883475820_4c39f0a1b3_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4882872825_1cd48915ea_z.jpg

fenwick16
Aug 11, 2010, 10:56 PM
Taller would be better DigitalNinja, but this is a very unique building anyways. Thanks for the photos Dmajackson - they clearly show how the two buildings merge together into one (or such is the illusion). This building when finished will be best viewed from an aerial shot.

Jonovision
Aug 12, 2010, 3:24 AM
That looks identical to the concrete pump I saw at Kings Wharf today.

DigitalNinja
Aug 12, 2010, 5:30 AM
Taller would be better DigitalNinja, but this is a very unique building anyways. Thanks for the photos Dmajackson - they clearly show how the two buildings merge together into one (or such is the illusion). This building when finished will be best viewed from an aerial shot.

I think the design is unique and ok, I just wish it made better use of the land area around it. This is HRM's fault for not approving the original proposal though.

halifaxboyns
Aug 12, 2010, 3:30 PM
I think the design is unique and ok, I just wish it made better use of the land area around it. This is HRM's fault for not approving the original proposal though.

Planning is about compromise, especially on projects where there is controversy. The fact that anything got approved at all on this site; considering the opposition to the original approval is a miracle.

In situations where I've dealt with projects like this; the emphasis should be placed on getting a reasonably compromised project approved in order to provide context to another development down the road. For example: If you had an area that had mainly 2 storey single family homes and someone consolidated a number of lots and proposed a 15 storey building - you may get a lot of opposition. So you compromise and bring the height of the building down and say it gets approved at 8 storeys? Not what everyone wants; but it gets approved.

A few years down the road; the same (or a different) developer consolidates more lots and proposes a 15 storey building. There may still be opposition; but then you have the context of the approved building to say; well 8 is pretty tall; so lets go slightly more. It may result in a compromise of say 12 storeys or the 15 storey may get approved; but you take small steps forward to the desired level.

I don't remember the report and how it was written, but typically when the planner writes up their report they talk about the context of the neighbourhood. I know the planner who did this project; she's pretty good about those write ups. Ultimately; context may not always save a project. Look at the church site by the Hydrostone? Most of the buildings that have gone up around there are in the 7 to 8 storey range; so going above 10 would seem to be the 'next logical step'; but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Sometimes communities (regardless of what compromises you make) won't want to accept change. So; you have to just try to get something and see what happens? As disappointing as some of believe the compromise is (believe me; I'm a fighter; so I would've wanted to take the original proposal forward); sometimes it's better not to die on the hill. Besides; if the applicant decided to make the compromise; sometimes the planners don't have a choice - it's what the applicant wants.