PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa Meet

Pages : [1] 2

p_xavier
Mar 3, 2009, 3:35 PM
I think there are enough members now to have a successful meeting event. So before I leave town, it would be nice to finally meet some people (and punch others).

Jamaican-Phoenix
Mar 3, 2009, 5:25 PM
Well I'm off to the Ottawa/Calgary game tonight, and I need to be back in North Bay for Monday, but sometime this week/weekend would be good for me.

Can't say I speak for everyone else though. :haha:

Rathgrith
Mar 3, 2009, 6:15 PM
You know, the world doesn't revolve are you d_jeffrey. ;) If anything, we should meet at a time best for me. I say just before midnight or when the moon rises. (I tend to turn into a werewolf at that time.)

harls
Mar 3, 2009, 6:33 PM
I'm not committing to anything until I know I'm not going to be punched in the face.

Richard Eade
Mar 3, 2009, 7:23 PM
Is this an open invitation? I think it would be interesting to put faces to the people here. Would he have to use our pseudo-names at the meeting? Does this involve beer? Would the meeting place be centrally located and cheap? Is the Lafayette still running and cheap? It was $0.70 per glass of draft the last time I was there.

So many questions.

I expect I could be available and downtown all Wed. evening and Thurs. evening after about 21:00.

Of course, If I am on the 'Punch' list, I'm busy during the meeting time.

p_xavier
Mar 3, 2009, 7:46 PM
I'm not committing to anything until I know I'm not going to be punched in the face.

Come on, you know I would only spit in your face, never punch you.

p_xavier
Mar 3, 2009, 7:48 PM
Is this an open invitation? I think it would be interesting to put faces to the people here. Would he have to use our pseudo-names at the meeting? Does this involve beer? Would the meeting place be centrally located and cheap? Is the Lafayette still running and cheap? It was $0.70 per glass of draft the last time I was there.

So many questions.

I expect I could be available and downtown all Wed. evening and Thurs. evening after about 21:00.

Of course, If I am on the 'Punch' list, I'm busy during the meeting time.

Well I wanted to try the organic pizza place, I think it could be a good gathering place. Me it's easy, it's my DJ name :haha:

harls
Mar 3, 2009, 7:55 PM
Come on, you know I would only spit in your face, never punch you.

Phew!!

;)

But seriously, I don't think I could find the time for a meet. Maybe a couple of years ago when I was a swingin' bachelor, but my wife works nights and someone's gotta look after the kid.

Richard Eade
Mar 3, 2009, 8:16 PM
Hmm so this is the new Place Organic Pizza on Kent and Florence, I assume. http://ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1568
Not too far from the gravy pizza place. http://www.ceotblog.com/2007/08/poutine-or-pizz.html

waterloowarrior
Mar 3, 2009, 8:19 PM
^ see also http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=158039

harls
Mar 3, 2009, 8:34 PM
According to that facebook link within the link WW posted, the Organic pizza place is closed. Maybe that explains why we haven't seen much of mOnkyman lately.

Mille Sabords
Mar 3, 2009, 8:51 PM
It's a shame about m0nkeyman. There's a few others who've disappeared as well.

A good time for me is either a Friday or Saturday evening after the kids are in bed, as long as it's downtown. Those are my going-out time slots and they get booked in advance - but this week Saturday would be ok for me.

p_xavier
Mar 3, 2009, 10:07 PM
According to that facebook link within the link WW posted, the Organic pizza place is closed. Maybe that explains why we haven't seen much of mOnkyman lately.

Wow, so sad :( It's really a rough time to open a business.

Norman Bates
Mar 4, 2009, 12:31 AM
Great, I'd love a meet. I can bring my mother for you all to see her.

highdensitysprawl
Mar 4, 2009, 12:37 AM
Not too far from the gravy pizza place. http://www.ceotblog.com/2007/08/poutine-or-pizz.html

That is just wrong. That has got to be one of the grossest looking food items in Ottawa (well besides anything that they serve at the Golden Palace on Carling Avenue)

Ottawade
Mar 4, 2009, 1:24 AM
Bah this is really busy week for me as I have plans Weds, Friday and Saturday evening. If it's Thursday night however I'm in. I prefer Centertown simply because I live there!

Also Georgie's is the best pizza in Ottawa (I skip on the gravy for health reasons)

Jamaican-Phoenix
Mar 4, 2009, 4:20 AM
Great, I'd love a meet. I can bring my mother for you all to see her.

:lmao:

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one to get that reference... :haha:

Aylmer
Mar 4, 2009, 12:13 PM
The Green Door on Main st. serves some pristine vegetarian food (to accomodate if ever there are some in the group).

And what would we discuss at such meetings?

:)

cityguy
Mar 4, 2009, 12:25 PM
By the time, a time and place is picked out the week will be over.

Mille Sabords
Mar 4, 2009, 1:58 PM
:lmao:

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one to get that reference... :haha:

Actually, Norman, it would be perfect if you and your mother could come in a 1958 Edsel or 1956 Studebaker. That's another thing I love about that movie. :tup:

Mille Sabords
Mar 4, 2009, 2:01 PM
Let's try this:

Friday from 8 pm onward
The Prescott, on Preston St.

Personally, I'll grab supper at home and can get there around 9-9:30 after the kids are in bed.

Any takers?

Rathgrith
Mar 4, 2009, 6:18 PM
^I'm up for that. But I think someplace downtown would be better. I would prefer to go to a laid back pub too.

Mille, why don't you just bring the kids along. Seeing as I am the only one here who has meet them I think it is never too early to get them involved in discussing everything urban about Ottawa. Same goes for you Harls. :tup:

p_xavier
Mar 4, 2009, 7:32 PM
^I'm up for that. But I think someplace downtown would be better. I would prefer to go to a laid back pub too.

Mille, why don't you just bring the kids along. Seeing as I am the only one here who has meet them I think it is never too early to get them involved in discussing everything urban about Ottawa. Same goes for you Harls. :tup:

I would be available this Friday near 8-ish too. Though Prescott is a bit out of the way for something that's available downtown.

m0nkyman
Mar 5, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'll be working...

waterloowarrior
Mar 5, 2009, 3:04 AM
I can't make it for the meet, but I'll be working in Ottawa for the summer... I think someone was suggesting a Hudson Park BBQ ;)

Rathgrith
Mar 5, 2009, 4:03 AM
given that we can't please everyone to attend. I think getting 5 or so SSPers to meet will be ok. So lets try for this friday then.

p_xavier
Mar 5, 2009, 2:15 PM
given that we can't please everyone to attend. I think getting 5 or so SSPers to meet will be ok. So lets try for this friday then.

Well there are only 3 so far, haha. I think it's just because it was short notice. Maybe next week or the week after, people will be able to adjust their schedule more.

Mille Sabords
Mar 5, 2009, 2:40 PM
I'm in for this Friday and I don't mind another location, if someone want to suggest.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Mar 5, 2009, 3:07 PM
I'm not sure if I can do Friday, I'll have to clear through some things first, but hopefully I can make it and meet some forumers.

Rathgrith
Mar 5, 2009, 3:58 PM
Lets do this friday and try to get some people to attend. And then maybe try for another one this summer.

What about the Royal Oak on Laurier near the U of O campus?

p_xavier
Mar 5, 2009, 4:23 PM
Lets do this friday and try to get some people to attend. And then maybe try for another one this summer.

That's the problem, last time nobody showed up, so you need to have at least a good group that confirms it.

Mille Sabords
Mar 5, 2009, 4:42 PM

Great idea + they have excellent spicy fries. I'm confirmed.

Norman Bates
Mar 5, 2009, 5:46 PM
Let's try this:

Friday from 8 pm onward
The Prescott, on Preston St.

Personally, I'll grab supper at home and can get there around 9-9:30 after the kids are in bed.

Any takers?
I'm not a fan of the Prescott. The last time I was there - like 22 years ago - I got shamed into buying a wilting rose for $15 from the flower girl. Neither the rose nor the girl were worth the investment.

Rathgrith
Mar 5, 2009, 6:01 PM
I'm not a fan of the Prescott. The last time I was there - like 22 years ago - I got shamed into buying a wilting rose for $15 from the flower girl. Neither the rose nor the girl were worth the investment.

And that still bothers you?:shrug: Those rose ladies are all other the place. They always come into bars when you're the drunkest, ergo getting you to give them more money.

Who else is in on the Royal Oak. Its a short walk from the Tranistway and it has a great beer selection.

Norman Bates
Mar 5, 2009, 6:04 PM
Actually, Norman, it would be perfect if you and your mother could come in a 1958 Edsel or 1956 Studebaker. That's another thing I love about that movie. :tup:Great continuation to the ongoing gag! But truthfully I'm a Cadillac man.

Norman Bates
Mar 5, 2009, 6:05 PM
And that still bothers you?:shrug: Those rose ladies are all other the place. They always come into bars when you're the drunkest, ergo getting you to give them more money.

Who else is in on the Royal Oak. Its a short walk from the Tranistway and it has a great beer selection.Would this be the Royal Oak on Bank Street near Gilmour?

There is also the Mansk Pub on Elgin. Never been there, but been tempted many times.

waterloowarrior
Mar 5, 2009, 6:08 PM
Would this be the Royal Oak on Bank Street near Gilmour?

There is also the Mansk Pub on Elgin. Never been there, but been tempted many times.

it's this one

http://www.royaloakpubs.com/laurier.html

harls
Mar 5, 2009, 8:33 PM
The Manx is a nice place, if you can find a spot to sit. it's pretty tiny and it's usually pretty packed.

No can do for Friday the 13th for me. Sorry sirs.

p_xavier
Mar 5, 2009, 8:36 PM
Between the 6, 13 and 20th. Which March day to you prefer.

I vote for the 20th.

harls
Mar 5, 2009, 8:39 PM
Me? Well this Friday is out, as is the 13th (wife works evenings).

the 20th I'm not sure yet, but it could work..

m0nkyman
Mar 5, 2009, 8:53 PM
I start work at 8PM so I'm out for any late event, but am up for any meet that starts earlier....

Mille Sabords
Mar 5, 2009, 9:03 PM
I start work at 8PM so I'm out for any late event, but am up for any meet that starts earlier....

Hey m0nkeyman, some people said your pizzeria was closed, what's up? Did you move it elsewhere?

m0nkyman
Mar 5, 2009, 10:15 PM
Closed it. Long story.

Rathgrith
Mar 5, 2009, 10:21 PM
No can do for Friday the 13th for me.

Too scary for you?

I'm most likely good for both dates except the 13th also. Jason tends to look for me on those days...

Jamaican-Phoenix
Mar 5, 2009, 10:54 PM
I could do tomorrow evening I think. What time?

Norman Bates
Mar 5, 2009, 11:10 PM
I start work at 8PM so I'm out for any late event, but am up for any meet that starts earlier....Before 20h00 works best for me too. I need my beauty sleep!

Jamaican-Phoenix
Mar 5, 2009, 11:36 PM
What about sometime Friday afternoon? Would that work for most people?

p_xavier
Mar 5, 2009, 11:55 PM
I'm out for tomorrow that's for sure, I need to ask in advance to get some time off for work, a day was a bit too short.

Rathgrith
Mar 6, 2009, 4:26 AM
I'm good for tomorrow, any time.

harls
Mar 6, 2009, 2:14 PM
Too scary for you?

I'm most likely good for both dates except the 13th also. Jason tends to look for me on those days...

heh. That and throw in a fella called 'Norman' and things aren't looking too great. :D

Richard Eade
Mar 6, 2009, 3:15 PM
I'm not at all clear as to whether there is going to be a meeting of a sub-group of forum folks today or not. And if there is, where?

It looks like
m0nkyman can meet before 20:00
Norman_Bates is good for before 20:00
Jamaican-Phoenix is OK with the afternoon
Rathgrith is in at any time.
(Hope I didn't miss anyone.)

I think I can be downtown by around 15:00.

Is an afternoon time best? Sometime between 15:00 and 20:00?

Aylmer
Mar 6, 2009, 3:26 PM
I could come any time before 21h, but would it be ok if I brought a parent? Because my folks are doubtful about the security of the meeting-viritual-people-in-real-life thing.

Mille Sabords
Mar 6, 2009, 4:18 PM
I'm not at all clear as to whether there is going to be a meeting of a sub-group of forum folks today or not. And if there is, where?

It looks like
m0nkyman can meet before 20:00
Norman_Bates is good for before 20:00
Jamaican-Phoenix is OK with the afternoon
Rathgrith is in at any time.
(Hope I didn't miss anyone.)

I think I can be downtown by around 15:00.

Is an afternoon time best? Sometime between 15:00 and 20:00?

I thought we were now aiming for the 20th, seeing as today was too short notice. I'm now out for tonight, but in for the 20th. In my case it has to be after 9 pm so I can get my kids in bed. Location seems to be the Royal Oak on Laurier Ave. East.

Aylmer Optimist, one or both of your parents are welcome. Being a parent myself I see where they're coming from. We can talk about Aylmer all evening too.

p_xavier
Mar 6, 2009, 5:30 PM
I could come any time before 21h, but would it be ok if I brought a parent? Because my folks are doubtful about the security of the meeting-viritual-people-in-real-life thing.

:haha: How old are you anyways? I don't even know if it's a joke or not.

Rathgrith
Mar 6, 2009, 5:59 PM

Are you even legally allowed to enter a bar in Ontario?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Mar 6, 2009, 6:18 PM
I'm still good for this afternoon/evening if it's going ahead.

Royal Oak on Laurier E. works fine for me.

Aylmer
Mar 6, 2009, 7:32 PM
Are you even legally allowed to enter a bar in Ontario?

Tsé tsé!

It's not polite to inquire on such subjects!

:D

harls
Mar 6, 2009, 8:11 PM
I think he can go to a bar as long as he is accompanied by a parent. Actually I think he can drink a beer as long as he had something to eat and was within eyeshot of his mom or dad! :D

Aylmer
Mar 6, 2009, 9:04 PM
I think he can go to a bar as long as he is accompanied by a parent. Actually I think he can drink a beer as long as he had something to eat and was within eyeshot of his mom or dad! :D

Nah, I have had a stressful semester. I'll have myself a couple o' Whiskeys.

:cheers:

On a slighly more serious note, At what hour would we be holding such a soirée?

Rathgrith
Mar 6, 2009, 9:15 PM

Under the law in Ontario, I think underage drinkers can only consume it in a private (home) setting.

cityguy
Mar 6, 2009, 9:16 PM
I'm confused,what day and time is the meeting?

harls
Mar 6, 2009, 9:17 PM
Under the law in Ontario, I think underage drinkers can only consume it in a private (home) setting.

ah, ok. I'm too used to Quebec laws where alcohol seems to be available everywhere (corner store, gas station, daycare, etc.)

Aylmer
Mar 6, 2009, 10:46 PM
Well, I guess today didn't work out...

Next week perhaps?

Rathgrith
Mar 7, 2009, 12:07 AM
Yea, so is this happening tonight or not?

Rathgrith
Mar 7, 2009, 12:40 AM
Edit, we should plan for a meet sometime in the future. I say early April. OR during Doors Open Ottawa. Hmmmm.

Ottawade
Mar 7, 2009, 5:31 PM
There are different types of licensing, but for places like the Oak minors in Ontario can not be in locations that serve alcohol after 9PM guardian or not. An old business I worked for got dinged for this and meant we had to block off an alcohol free "family" zone.

rodionx
Mar 8, 2009, 1:34 AM
There are different types of licensing, but for places like the Oak minors in Ontario can not be in locations that serve alcohol after 9PM guardian or not. An old business I worked for got dinged for this and meant we had to block off an alcohol free "family" zone.

Semi stupid question: do you mean that places that serve alcohol after 9PM are off limits to minors at all times of day, or that minors can enter such places, but when the clock strikes 9PM, they have to leave?

Acajack
Mar 8, 2009, 4:02 AM
Semi stupid question: do you mean that places that serve alcohol after 9PM are off limits to minors at all times of day, or that minors can enter such places, but when the clock strikes 9PM, they have to leave?

I thought it was related to whether they serve meals or not, and what % of their business is related to serving food.

Rathgrith
Mar 8, 2009, 5:08 AM
I think it is related to food. I remember when I was 10 and playing hockey in Toronto, I got to stay up late with my parents when they were at a restaurant. They gave me quarters, and spent them all playing video games that night.

Ottawade
Mar 10, 2009, 4:33 AM
Yes, its related to serving food and yes its after 9pm so kids can come to the pub with their families but after 9PM the place essentially becomes a bar

harls
Apr 1, 2009, 3:39 PM
I am going to take a wild guess and assume this meeting never happened.

I suggest we come up with a new date, one to welcome Flar to our fair city. What say you, Flar?

I'm thinking mid-april..

(btw - I have been involved in a few Montreal meets (or 'smoked meets' as we called them..) it's not that scary to meet strangers, trust me..)

p_xavier
Apr 1, 2009, 3:48 PM
I am going to take a wild guess and assume this meeting never happened.

I suggest we come up with a new date, one to welcome Flar to our fair city. What say you, Flar?

I'm thinking mid-april..

(btw - I have been involved in a few Montreal meets (or 'smoked meets' as we called them..) it's not that scary to meet strangers, trust me..)

I've been out of town for a few weeks, but I'm back now. So many issues with buying a condo, it's unbelievable. At least less than 2 weeks before I can seek my own financing.

Ottawade
Apr 1, 2009, 4:50 PM
I'm interested once again. Last time too many people were suggesting times and places. It got really confusing. I think we need one person to try and pick a time and place, see how many can make it and only if its super low turn out should we try and pick another.

Mille Sabords
Apr 1, 2009, 5:29 PM
I'm interested once again. Last time too many people were suggesting times and places. It got really confusing. I think we need one person to try and pick a time and place, see how many can make it and only if its super low turn out should we try and pick another.

The Royal Oak on Laurier East, near Ottawa U., seems to have everyone's thumbs-up. Now for a time & day.

- Friday the 10th (Good Friday)?
- Saturday the 11th?
- Sunday the 12th (Easter)?

- Friday the 17th?
- Saturday the 18th?

p_xavier
Apr 1, 2009, 5:46 PM
- Friday the 17th?

Yes

waterloowarrior
Apr 1, 2009, 7:42 PM
17th should work for me as well (the other friday's and saturday's are also good)

Jamaican-Phoenix
Apr 1, 2009, 9:20 PM
I could do an Easter weekend.

Norman Bates
Apr 1, 2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks, I needed that.

m0nkyman
Apr 2, 2009, 12:07 AM
I'm in favour of Sunday the 19th, or a Monday evening....

Jamaican-Phoenix
Apr 2, 2009, 12:23 AM
I've already met a few of our fellow forumers, adn they're perfectly normal people. Not all the stories our parents told us about strangers are true. :P

Rathgrith
Apr 2, 2009, 1:33 AM
The 17th looks good for me. If not, I also suggest we could meet for Doors Open Ottawa when its in June.

flar
Apr 2, 2009, 1:35 AM
I'll be able to meet up with you guys in mid April, should be settled in by then.

Mille Sabords
Apr 2, 2009, 8:11 PM
There's a slight majority saying Friday the 17th so I'll call it -

OTTAWA MEET - FINALLY -FRIDAY APRIL 17, 8 PM ONWARD
ROYAL OAK, LAURIER AVE. EAST

I'll try to reserve the room downstairs that way we'll all know where to go, & post back to confirm.

RSVP's for numbers here please.
See y'all there. :cheers:

waterloowarrior
Apr 2, 2009, 8:32 PM
I'm in

Rathgrith
Apr 3, 2009, 12:07 AM
Moi aussi.

harls
Apr 3, 2009, 1:35 PM
I'm in Montreal that day, but I should be back that evening.

Ottawade
Apr 3, 2009, 1:51 PM
I'm also in

Mille Sabords
Apr 6, 2009, 2:37 AM
Royal Oak Laurier, basement room booked for "Skyscraper Meet" April 17th at 8 pm.

Rathgrith
Apr 6, 2009, 4:53 PM
Royal Oak Laurier, basement room booked for "Skyscraper Meet" April 17th at 8 pm.

Sure, but that basement has such a windowless English professor basement dungeon feel to it. Which means I am all in.

p_xavier
Apr 6, 2009, 7:35 PM
I'm in. As long as the basement is not for a BDSM dungeon.

Mille Sabords
Apr 6, 2009, 8:25 PM
I'm in. As long as the basement is not for a BDSM dungeon.

We all have latent sadomasochist tendencies just by investing so much time and energy on Ottawa urban planning.

Norman Bates
Apr 6, 2009, 10:43 PM
I resemble those comments!

p_xavier
Apr 6, 2009, 11:26 PM
We all have latent sadomasochist tendencies just by investing so much time and energy on Ottawa urban planning.

Well I always said that I wanted to hurt people! So I guess I'm in if I can handle the whip. Call me d_mistress.

highdensitysprawl
Apr 7, 2009, 12:01 AM

I hear you loud and clear...I've been to City of Ottawa Planning Committee and Committee of Adjustment hearings that test a persons sanity.

Mille Sabords
Apr 15, 2009, 4:07 PM
Everyone still a go for Friday?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Apr 15, 2009, 6:05 PM
Well I'm stuck in North Bay until mid may, so I'll have to pass.

p_xavier
Apr 15, 2009, 6:40 PM
People, this time please come, it's embarrassing for the people who organize.

harls
Apr 15, 2009, 6:54 PM
It depends on how late it is when I get back from MTL friday... we'll see.

I know you all want me to be there, honestly.

Mille Sabords
Apr 15, 2009, 8:27 PM
It depends on how late it is when I get back from MTL friday... we'll see.

I know you all want me to be there, honestly.

If not, send us pictures of Montreal to look at! :cheers:

Davis137
Apr 15, 2009, 8:42 PM
Might be able to attend...have to see what the Missus has to say...oh, speaking of the Oak...don't eat the "Bangers in a blanket" I did this last night, and my liver and kidneys (and heart for that matter) are still complaining today...lol

Still, it'd be neat to talk to some of you that seem to know WHAT you are talking about...

L8tz