PDA

View Full Version : Students group wants late-night buses

Spitfire75
Mar 2, 2009, 7:22 PM
Students group wants late-night buses (http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1109132.html)
Expanded transit service would make downtown safer, letter to council says
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE Staff Reporter
Mon. Mar 2 - 4:46 AM

A students group in metro wants Halifax city hall to consider providing late-night bus service downtown for post-secondary students, according to a submission to regional council.

The proposal from the Halifax Student Alliance says the plan is in line with two of council’s policy focus areas for this year: public safety and transportation.

Late-night transit would allow for safer and more convenient access to students’ destinations, the submission says, and "provide more transportation options for (the) entire community."

The pilot project would include popular Metro Transit routes such as those to Saint Mary’s and Dalhousie universities and those along Barrington Street, Spring Garden Road and Oxford Street.

Mark Coffin, chairman of the alliance, said in a letter to councillors the project is directly linked to results of the mayor’s roundtable on violence.

He said about 1,540 students were surveyed for the study, and 45 per cent of respondents reported being crime victims while studying in metro.

"Alarmingly, 12 per cent of respondents disclosed that they had been victims of sexual assault downtown," Mr. Coffin said in his letter. He noted the city’s anti-violence report recommends a late-night transit service for Halifax’s central core.

The submission to council says the advocacy group represents more than 25,000 university and community college students in Halifax Regional Municipality. Many students rely on Metro Transit’s bus service, which stops at 1 a.m., and the alliance feels "an investment in late-night transit will reduce the frequency" of violent events involving young people.

The group wants the city to look at bus service ending at 3 a.m., a spokesman told The Chronicle Herald on Saturday.

Alliance members also pitched the economics of students riding city buses. They told the politicians in their letter that post-secondary students dish out at least $6.7 million annually to the municipality’s transit system through such things as bus fares and passes.

"The student contribution to Metro Transit’s operating budget is considerable," Mr. Coffin said in his letter. "The (alliance) will continue to encourage Metro Transit to provide better service to the universities and colleges, which are cornerstones of the local economy."

Transit funding is to be discussed at council’s committee of the whole session Tuesday afternoon; the alliance’s proposal is on the agenda for Tuesday night’s regional council meeting.

Dal graduate student Zach Dayler, the alliance’s executive director, said his organization is aware that late-night transit would mean bus drivers dealing with some passengers who are intoxicated. He said that scenario can be mitigated.

"I’d point to the investment in security cameras that they do want to put on buses," said Mr. Dayler.

"So that, I think, will alleviate some concern there about drunk people on the buses potentially causing incidents."

Mr. Dayler said should the municipality give the pilot project the green light, his group would like to see it running as soon as possible.

Whether there is political will on regional council for the alliance’s proposal remains to be seen. A couple of councillors have expressed their support, but others are against it. Mayor Peter Kelly hasn’t ruled out such a plan, but his is only one vote on a 24-member council.

Regardless of how councillors may feel about the issue, transit officials are not exactly hopping on the late-night-bus bandwagon.

"That’s on the back burner," Eddie Robar, Metro Transit’s planning manager, told the Coast last year.Sounds like a good idea, but I wonder how much more it would cost.

Dmajackson
Mar 2, 2009, 7:48 PM
I'm also in support of this but they should only start with the main routes like 1, 9, 10, 14, 17/18, 80, ect.

phrenic
Mar 2, 2009, 7:48 PM
I support this if there is a way to negate the potential security issues (i.e. drunk idiots). I doubt many bus drivers would be volunteering for that route.

Maybe they could test it with a couple of late-night runs on the #1 route.

someone123
Mar 2, 2009, 11:14 PM
I think this is kind of a critical service for a city to have, but they will need to buy a few more mops if they do go through with it...

Haliguy
Mar 3, 2009, 12:07 AM
This is much needed its rediclous that all buses stop at 1:00 am.

Takeo
Mar 3, 2009, 12:21 AM
This is much needed its rediclous that all buses stop at 1:00 am.

Some would say it's ridiculous that the bars are open past 1am :P

Dmajackson
Mar 3, 2009, 1:07 AM
I think this is kind of a critical service for a city to have, but they will need to buy a few more mops if they do go through with it...

Well that depends on how smooth the roads are :P

I agree with the earlier statement that some "test runs" should be put in effect on route 1 or one of the university routes.

hfx_chris
Mar 3, 2009, 1:08 AM
I'm also in support of this but they should only start with the main routes like 1, 9, 10, 14, 17/18, 80, ect.
I would prefer to see a set of new routes created for night time.. but that would only ideally work if the night system were to run later than 3am.

pnightingale
Mar 3, 2009, 2:42 AM
I would prefer to see a set of new routes created for night time.. but that would only ideally work if the night system were to run later than 3am.

I completely agree. It doesn't make sense to have night routes that take people right to their door. Night routes should go down main streets and cover as many different neighbourhoods as possible. Most people can walk to a major street where a bus would be available. This would allow fewer buses to service more people. I don't think anyone expects over night transit to be as convenient as during the day.

In Toronto, they have the Blue Night Routes, or whatever they're called. Essentially that is what Halifax needs.

It's too bad they only asked for them to run until 3:00AM. I hope council doesn't take this as a sign that we don't need buses past 3:00AM.

Dmajackson
Mar 3, 2009, 3:33 AM
^Now that i think of it new routes might work better.

For starters they could have them run to Dal/SMU, Mumford area and one into Dartmouth. All would probably originate from the bar district (Barrington or Brunswick). And if those are successful they could expand to other areas. This is just a thought but they could test out a run on the Alderney Ferry as well since that connects downtown to Dartmouth.

One other benefit not mentioned yet is if they run down SGR or other major retail streets more people could make it to the 24 hours stores.

someone123
Mar 3, 2009, 7:36 AM
Well that depends on how smooth the roads are :P

It depends more on the blood alcohol content of the passengers, and past 1 a.m. on a Friday night it's going to be high. ;)

The night buses here in Vancouver are a sight to behold.

spryscraper
Mar 3, 2009, 5:59 PM
I think 24 hour stores would also be more viable in general, especially on late-night bus routes.

hfx_chris
Mar 3, 2009, 9:52 PM
This is just a thought but they could test out a run on the Alderney Ferry as well since that connects downtown to Dartmouth.
I don't think the return would be great enough to justify the cost of running one ferry + 3 crew members and 2 concessionaires.

spaustin
Mar 3, 2009, 11:00 PM
A skeleton late night service would be a great idea. It's not just for students either. There are a lot of night shift workers out there who could also benefit.

Barrington south
Mar 4, 2009, 1:28 AM
I'm sure "Mr numbnuts" aka mayor peter kelly will be against this idea, most likely claiming it will only encourage the "drinking culture"

spaustin
Mar 4, 2009, 2:14 AM
I'm sure "Mr numbnuts" aka mayor peter kelly will be against this idea, most likely claiming it will only encourage the "drinking culture"

No no no Barrington, Kelly is a man of action. He will propose to study the issue and then consult with the community. That should take another 3-4 years ;)

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 4, 2009, 2:55 AM

But if drinking is a "culture", that would be very ethnocentric of him. (Lol, sounds like a South Park plot)

Dmajackson
Mar 4, 2009, 11:54 AM
From the Chronicle Herald;

late bus research

Halifax Regional Police and Metro Transit will research the possibility of adding a late-night downtown bus service for university students.

The request for the service stems from the mayor’s roundtable on violence but came before regional council Tuesday night from the Halifax Student Alliance.

The late-night bus — on four major routes — would give students a safe and convenient route home from the downtown.

Many students rely on Metro Transit’s bus service, which stops at 1 a.m. The alliance feels an investment in late-night transit could reduce the frequency of violent events involving young people when they’re forced to walk home.

Jringe01
Mar 15, 2009, 3:31 PM
Montreal has quite a number of late night bus routes (and this is Canada's party central)

I don't think that drunks causing scenes is a big issue and this is a much larger city

All the driver would have to do is stop the bus and have dispatch send the cops.