PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Shawarma in Ottawa

Kitchissippi
Feb 20, 2009, 3:16 PM
OK, this being Ottawa, you simply can't say "where's the best shawarma". So if I were to take visitors on the quintessential 'city-wide shawarma tour', what should my route and destinations be? I figure on bikes, and half a sandwich per person in each location, it could make a fun 'full-filling' half day activity in the summer.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Feb 20, 2009, 4:45 PM
Civic Shawarma in the Glebe, Shawarma King in Centretown (Across from James Street Feed Company or whatever it's called), Marroush in the Market.

Those are three that I think could make up a nice little afternoon tour of central Ottawa.

Kitchissippi
Feb 20, 2009, 5:43 PM
Is there one in Hull that's good? The tour does not have to stick to the Ontario side exclusively, in fact it's good that it crosses the river and has a bit of distance to burn calories.

highdensitysprawl
Feb 20, 2009, 6:13 PM
Is there one in Hull that's good? The tour does not have to stick to the Ontario side exclusively, in fact it's good that it crosses the river and has a bit of distance to burn calories.

Some people swear by 'Arz' at St. Laurent shopping centre. I remember a good shawarma at the place on the east side of Bank, just north of Staples....I had to wait for printing to be done at Staples and had their lunch platter with garlic potatoes...it was short on potatoes and heavy heavy on the garlic.

Love shawarma but do not like the pickled turnips or whatever they are.

fireicedog
Feb 20, 2009, 8:00 PM
Not sure if they would be the best, but the most popular would be shawarma city on rideau, it's always packed. When I went to Marroush on elgin a couple years ago, they have their own theme song and it was very catchy. Andalos inside rideau is good as well. Mangoes has the best fruit cocktails and smoothies in the city to go along with your shawarmas, with locations on st. laurant and the other on bank/alta vista.
Throw in shawarma city to round out the list.

Deez
Feb 20, 2009, 8:11 PM
My faves:

-Shawarma Deluxe (on Dalhousie): Excellent garlic sauce and a wide selection of toppings. Added bonus in that the owner looks like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld.
-Really Lebanese (on St. Joseph in Orleans): Pricey, but delicious.
-Shawarma Palace (on Rideau): In my opinion, the most "legit" shawarma in Ottawa. Whereas many places in the market cater to office workers and drunken revellers, the majority of the clientele here are from the middle east.
-Andalos (on Rideau): Unbeatable value.

As for Marroush, I'm turned off every time I watch them microwave my chicken...it should be fresh off the rotisserie!

Rathgrith
Feb 20, 2009, 8:13 PM
I figure on bikes, and half a sandwich per person in each location, it could make a fun 'full-filling' half day activity in the summer.

Try not to spend an extended period of time in the same room after eating all that Shawarma....

highdensitysprawl
Feb 20, 2009, 8:19 PM
Try not to spend an extended period of time in the same room after eating all that Shawarma....

Good point....shawarma is usually best eaten by both consenting parties of a relationship. My worst experience that way was curried eggplant which was still giving off odours 72 hours after I ate it according to my wife. She was not amused.

Kitchissippi
Feb 20, 2009, 8:24 PM
I'll make sure I stay in front of the peloton, too :)

Tor2Ott
Feb 20, 2009, 8:32 PM
I've always wondered why there are so many shawarma joints in the city. Still have no idea...

jchamoun79
Feb 20, 2009, 11:53 PM
I've always wondered why there are so many shawarma joints in the city. Still have no idea...

Ottawa has a very large Lebanese community, the second-largest in Canada behind Montreal.

Tor2Ott
Feb 21, 2009, 12:02 AM
Ah I see. I am assuming because many Lebanese know French?

Zach6668
Feb 21, 2009, 2:54 AM
I have literally only been to Garlic Corner (aka Joey's Corner, or something like that), in that Union building on the corner of Dalhousie and York, since I moved to Ottawa in the summer, and it's fantastic.

The owner (I assume) is always there late at night and is extremely friendly, handing me coupons, asking how I'm doing, etc. He recognizes me as being from the neighborhood even if I've only ventured the block from my condo a half-dozen times or so.

The food is fantastic, although, I haven't had any other Shawarma in the city.

They are open long hours, until 3 am, and deliver for free on orders over $8, which is just a regular combo, maybe an extra soda or something, and are quite fast.

The garlic potatoes are amazing.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. I'm in St. Pete, FL right now, but I'm going to get a shawarma very soon upon landing back in O-Town after this thread really got me craving one, lol.

AuxTown
Feb 21, 2009, 3:08 AM
You can go to whichever shawarma resaurants you want, but the tour has to end with Maroush on Elgin street. The tour should end around 1-2am to experience the pure ridiculousness of this restaurant. Here's one of many YouTube videos featuring their nightly shinanigans.

x497RM_gOEI

fireicedog
Feb 21, 2009, 3:39 AM
Also rumour is at Marroush, if you're a female and you flash some skin, you don't have to pay.

Ottawade
Feb 21, 2009, 5:59 AM
Marroush is definitely where to go downtown. There are other good places, but I find they aren't as consistent as Marroush. Elgin's lost quite a number of the so-so places in the last months.

A probably unknown diamond in the rough tho is Darvish Butchery at 4055 Carling Avenue (between March Road and Hertzberg) out in the Kanata high-tech area. Whenever business takes me out to that end of the city I make it an absolute must to eat lunch there. I can't speak for evenings and weekends, but their business day lunch hour is usually full and for good reason.

Indescribable
Feb 21, 2009, 3:39 PM
I've heard a commercial for the Garlic King out in Orleans. Never tried it though. Anyone?

Jamaican-Phoenix
Feb 22, 2009, 2:05 PM
Some people swear by 'Arz' at St. Laurent shopping centre. I remember a good shawarma at the place on the east side of Bank, just north of Staples....I had to wait for printing to be done at Staples and had their lunch platter with garlic potatoes...it was short on potatoes and heavy heavy on the garlic.

Love shawarma but do not like the pickled turnips or whatever they are.

You ate at Shawarma King then. They make pretty good Shawarma.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Feb 22, 2009, 2:06 PM
I've heard a commercial for the Garlic King out in Orleans. Never tried it though. Anyone?

There's also a Garlic King in Old Ottawa South I think. I've seen the "Garlic King" riding around in his kingly garments and car. It's awesome.

m3i6
Apr 30, 2010, 7:28 PM
Are we at 5 yet?

La Shish on Clyde near Baseline, in the same building as CD Warehouse (across form Dennys).

If you get a chance, try the pies too.

canadave
May 1, 2010, 4:16 AM
1. Shawarma Palace
2. Shawarma Palace
3. Shawarma Palace
4. Shawarma Palace
5. Shawarma Palace

Jamaican-Phoenix
May 1, 2010, 6:18 AM
Civic Shawarma

Shawarma King

Marroush

Don't know/don't care about the rest.

lzppjb
Jun 11, 2013, 6:33 AM
I visited Ottawa about a half dozen times from 2010-2011. I had never even heard of shawarma before then. I tried Shawarma King (Rideau & Coburg) since it was close to where I was staying. Loved it. Ate there about 3 times. Never got around to trying any of the other places.

If you're ever in Austin, check out Tarbouch on Oltorf Street or Phoenecia Bakery on South Lamar Blvd (Lebanese market, bakery and shawarma).

AuxTown
Jun 11, 2013, 12:19 PM
I like the Palace but Maroush always goes special mention:

F5y3UCZ8ifQ

x497RM_gOEI

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jun 11, 2013, 7:01 PM
A while ago I discovered "Preston Shawarma" on Preston St. It's REALLY good.

AuxTown
Jun 12, 2013, 1:39 AM
A while ago I discovered "Preston Shawarma" on Preston St. It's REALLY good.

Yes the are very good. I dominated a double meat Shawarma there the night before my buddy's wedding. We all felt (and smelled) terrible that morning. :yuck:

Harley613
Jun 12, 2013, 1:50 AM
1. Shawarama Palace
2. 3 Brothers on York/Dalhousie

Harley613
Sep 13, 2013, 5:22 PM
Rejoice citizens of Ottawa!!! I was driving down Dalhousie today and noticed next to the Subway... more shawarma!! Now you can have shawarama on every half block of Dalhousie! Never again shall you walk more than 200 feet to have spit roasted chicken fat on a pita!! This market was so underserved, I am so grateful for this new addition to the eclectic and cosmopolitan Dalhousie Shawarma scene.
(edited for accuracy, I initially thought this was the Subway location, but it's actually the old Book Market)
http://i.imgur.com/sy4Wj7w.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/a3Uq2MQ.jpg

Proof Sheet
Sep 13, 2013, 5:36 PM
Rejoice citizens of Ottawa!!! I was driving down Dalhousie today and noticed the Subway has closed to make way for... more shawarma!! Now you can have shawarama on every half block of Dalhousie! Never again shall you walk more than 200 feet to have spit roasted chicken fat on a pita!! This market was so underserved, I am so grateful for this new addition to the eclectic and cosmopolitan Dalhousie Shawarma scene.

Now if the shawarma operators in the City could join forces with Shoppers Drug Mart and their ability to flood the market with their stores, the domination would be complete.

I hadn't noticed all the shawarma places on Dalhousie...Rideau has quite a few and anywhere near bars or universities is a good bet for a location.

gjhall
Sep 13, 2013, 6:19 PM
Rejoice citizens of Ottawa!!! I was driving down Dalhousie today and noticed the Subway has closed to make way for... more shawarma!! Now you can have shawarama on every half block of Dalhousie! Never again shall you walk more than 200 feet to have spit roasted chicken fat on a pita!! This market was so underserved, I am so grateful for this new addition to the eclectic and cosmopolitan Dalhousie Shawarma scene.

Rejoice further, as the Subway is in fact safe and sound located south of this new Shawarma shop, and visible on the left of the photo. Leaving Dalhousie with its critical TWO Subway shops.

Harley613
Sep 13, 2013, 6:24 PM
Oops! I snapped as I was driving by and didn't even notice!! Praise the lord, our second Subway is safe!! Initial post edited for accuracy.

Acajack
Sep 13, 2013, 6:42 PM
I am partial to Élyo Shawarma which has two locations on Gréber in Gatineau (near St-René and near Montée Paiement).

In my humble opinion the garlic sauce on potatoes - to die for!

teej1984
Sep 13, 2013, 6:47 PM
The shop at York and Dalhousie is gone, but there are also many more on Rideau ;)

Harley613
Sep 13, 2013, 10:02 PM
The shop at York and Dalhousie is gone, but there are also many more on Rideau ;)

the 3 brothers where la presse cafe used to be is gone?? that one seemed like the most successful one!

gjhall
Sep 14, 2013, 3:07 PM
the 3 brothers where la presse cafe used to be is gone?? that one seemed like the most successful one!

It was in the base of what will be the hotel Claridge is building, so the building is being gutted.

Uhuniau
Sep 15, 2013, 5:03 AM
Rejoice citizens of Ottawa!!! I was driving down Dalhousie today and noticed next to the Subway... more shawarma!! Now you can have shawarama on every half block of Dalhousie! Never again shall you walk more than 200 feet to have spit roasted chicken fat on a pita!! This market was so underserved, I am so grateful for this new addition to the eclectic and cosmopolitan Dalhousie Shawarma scene.

That's the Dalhousie Shawarma DISTRICT to you. :haha:

S-Man
Sep 15, 2013, 1:25 PM
This market was so underserved, I am so grateful for this new addition to the eclectic and cosmopolitan Dalhousie Shawarma scene.

I, for one, welcome our new shawarma overlords!

Postmaster
Sep 15, 2013, 1:43 PM
Maybe they can open up another Shoppers or Rexall downtown with a Shawarma place inside? Just saying.

Jamaican-Phoenix
Sep 15, 2013, 3:39 PM
We in Ottawa certainly seem to take things to the extreme, don't we? We go overboard when it comes to Shoppers Drugmart, Bridgehead, The Works, shawarma shacks, and Tim Horton's.

McC
Sep 15, 2013, 4:11 PM
That's the Dalhousie Shawarma DISTRICT to you. :haha:

Don't you mean Shawarma Village?

Ottawan
Sep 15, 2013, 6:33 PM
Don't you mean Shawarma Village?

I get the point being made in this thread, but I really would have no problem living in a neighbourhood called Shawarma Village. This thread is just making me hungry.

Recently having to live places with fewer shawarma options than Ottawa, I find it's one of the first things I get when I return to the city. Like smoked meat and bagels for Montreal.

McC
Sep 15, 2013, 8:47 PM
I was just tweaking Uhuniau a little bit -- who isn't much a fan of neighbourhoods calling themselves "villages".

Acajack
Sep 16, 2013, 1:44 AM
We in Ottawa certainly seem to take things to the extreme, don't we? We go overboard when it comes to Shoppers Drugmart, Bridgehead, The Works, shawarma shacks, and Tim Horton's.

I guess a public service city values predictability a lot. Once something is good or even OK, people stick with it and don't see the need to venture beyond it.

Must have something to do with the life-long job security and benefits!

harls
Nov 5, 2013, 5:09 PM
In Aylmer, in that new monstrosity they built on the main drag, there is a Shawarma place that is not too bad. Kind of expensive, but if you get the dad of the family working he heaps the meat on.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g182199-d770597-Reviews-Shawarma_Sante-Aylmer_Gatineau_Outaouais_Region_Quebec.html