PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Heliport System

MalcolmTucker
Feb 18, 2009, 12:32 AM
[del]

Full Mountain
Feb 18, 2009, 12:37 AM
There is a private one on the morrison homes building out on 42 St SE Between 110 Ave and 112 Ave... the Sat pics on google aren't recent enough to show it though

MalcolmTucker
Feb 18, 2009, 12:46 AM
[del]

Vascilli
Feb 18, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hmm, I wouldn't mind using the CFCN one for my personal use. That would be quite a commute.

Morrison homes, assuming it's the Morrison that's the last half of Shane & Morrison, then I would know that Morrison's youngest daughter. She's in my grade, went to school with her for 4 years. Nice girl, kind of weird but what girl isn't? What on earth would Morrison need a helipad for? Spying on his construction workers?

Full Mountain
Feb 18, 2009, 1:10 AM
Morrison Has an R44 that the must use for shuttling execs around :shrug: or at least that would be my guess

Vascilli
Feb 18, 2009, 1:17 AM
I bet they're not using it much any longer. Maybe I can get it used. :hmmm:

YYCguys
Feb 18, 2009, 5:29 PM
A little off topic, but I am so surprised that the residents of Promminence Pointe would not have squawked when Broadcast House (aka CTV Calgary) was planned to be built in the middle of their upper class neighborhood!!! What a lot of additional traffic and noise! Wouldn't it have been better to locate it elsewhere away from residential neighborhood? And how could the CPC have even allowed the zoning? And a heliport too?

mersar
Feb 18, 2009, 5:37 PM
A little off topic, but I am so surprised that the residents of Promminence Pointe would not have squawked when Broadcast House (aka CTV Calgary) was planned to be built in the middle of their upper class neighborhood!!! What a lot of additional traffic and noise! Wouldn't it have been better to locate it elsewhere away from residential neighborhood? And how could the CPC have even allowed the zoning? And a heliport too?

From what I recall of the history of that site, CFCN has had some presence there since around their launch in 1960, so I'd imagine they probably predate most of the residential community around them since the area wasn't really developed until the 1980's (see the 'Patterson Heights (Strathcona Cell "A") Revised Concept Plan' (http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/BU/planning/pdf/patterson_heights_rev_concept_plan.pdf) which has a note of pretty much "its here and it isnt going anywhere" in it) and prior to development was mostly acreages with a few of the larger homes on them.

You Need A Thneed
Feb 18, 2009, 9:05 PM
The one at Peter Lougheed Hospital will be on the roof of the new wing when it opens up. The existing one will be removed, as the parkade is getting expanded into that area.

Bigtime
Feb 18, 2009, 9:08 PM
I loved the old Children's Hospital pad in the middle of the interchange. I was driving on that once as STAR's came ripping in out of nowhere! Pretty sweet sight for an aviation buff.

MalcolmTucker
Feb 18, 2009, 9:29 PM
[del]

korzym
Feb 18, 2009, 10:30 PM
...a real easy one is the helicopter company thats directly north of the air museum. Actually detached from the main runway land by a road and adjacent buildings.

This thread is fresh, I like it.

Bigtime
Feb 18, 2009, 10:44 PM
...a real easy one is the helicopter company thats directly north of the air museum. Actually detached from the main runway land by a road and adjacent buildings.

This thread is fresh, I like it.

I would say that is the only true heli-pad at YYC, the rest are just the ramp areas in front of FBO's like Shell, Esso, and Air Sprint.

korzym
Feb 18, 2009, 11:13 PM
I would say that is the only true heli-pad at YYC, the rest are just the ramp areas in front of FBO's like Shell, Esso, and Air Sprint.

True, and you can add the HAWCs hangar to your list, which is next to SAIT's campus?

Bigtime
Feb 18, 2009, 11:30 PM
True, and you can add the HAWCs hangar to your list, which is next to SAIT's campus?

I believe that HAWC's is based out of the Air Sprint hangar, sharing the space with them, this is the new hangar just west of the SAIT campus.

mmmbeer12
Feb 18, 2009, 11:54 PM
The heliport at morrison homes is used by Al Morrison(owner of morrison homes) to commute to work some days from his house.

Full Mountain
Feb 19, 2009, 12:14 AM
I believe that HAWC's is based out of the Air Sprint hangar, sharing the space with them, this is the new hangar just west of the SAIT campus.

Air Sprint is about 2/3 of the building HAWC's is the other part, there is basically no interaction between the two groups on a regular basis or at least that's the way it was when I worked for Sprint 2.5 years ago

Full Mountain
Feb 19, 2009, 12:16 AM

Eagle/Alpine Helicopters....not sure if that is an actual helipad or just a area to land craft for repairs...since the only use for it is to bring heli's in for repair

Bigtime
Feb 19, 2009, 1:12 AM
Air Sprint is about 2/3 of the building HAWC's is the other part, there is basically no interaction between the two groups on a regular basis or at least that's the way it was when I worked for Sprint 2.5 years ago

I've never had a chance to check out the new hangar, thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking what did you do when you worked for Air Sprint? I have a couple of old flying buddies that are still flying over there.

Eagle/Alpine Helicopters....not sure if that is an actual helipad or just a area to land craft for repairs...since the only use for it is to bring heli's in for repair

I was thinking the same thing, not an official heli-pad really, just for Eagle/Alpine's use exclusively it appears for maintenance and their operation. I also like the runup area directly east of it.

Full Mountain
Feb 19, 2009, 1:23 AM
I've never had a chance to check out the new hangar, thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking what did you do when you worked for Air Sprint? I have a couple of old flying buddies that are still flying over there.

It was my first job after completing Aircraft Maintenance Tech at SAIT so I was basically a glorified ramp rat...until they decided they didn't like me and fired me :rolleyes: oh they're loss not mine

You Need A Thneed
Feb 19, 2009, 6:51 AM
Wonder if the pad can be moved until the new emergency room opens? The Stelmach Conservatives have said they are leaving that part of the new wing unfinished for now.

Off topic, but no, that not what the government said. They are paying for everything that was initially planned to be paid for, I least that's what I've read in the past few days. The original plan was for 3 floors to just be shelled in, and that's what they are doing. It really sounded like the media really made a bigger deal out of that one than it really is.

YYCguys
Feb 19, 2009, 2:35 PM
...It really sounded like the media really made a bigger deal out of that one than it really is.

Gee surprise surprise!!! Must've been Global??? :koko:

Riise
Feb 19, 2009, 3:46 PM
Off topic, but no, that not what the government said. They are paying for everything that was initially planned to be paid for, I least that's what I've read in the past few days. The original plan was for 3 floors to just be shelled in, and that's what they are doing. It really sounded like the media really made a bigger deal out of that one than it really is.

Yeah, that's what I got as well. The only thing I didn't pull out was the Government's original intent to shell in three floors. Like you said though, that's the media's spin.

Riise
Feb 23, 2009, 7:05 PM
Car Almost Crashes Into Rescue Helicopter In N.E. Calgary

Februrary 23, 2009
Calgary Herald

A car veered onto the Peter Lougheed Hospital heliport in northeast Calgary Sunday, almost crashing into a STARS rescue helicopter, officials said Monday.

A STARS Air Rescue spokesman said the incident happened at about 1:45 p.m., when the helicopter was preparing for take-off. At that time, a vehicle careened through the chain link fence surrounding the heliport and came within a few feet of the helicopter before being stopped by STARS and hospital security.

The crew and the helicopter were unharmed.

Police continue to investigate the incident.

© Copyright The Calgary Herald (http://www.calgaryherald.com/almost+crashes+into+rescue+helicopter+Calgary/1320358/story.html)

ScottFromCalgary
Feb 23, 2009, 11:57 PM
That's hilarious. How appropriate that this thread was here.

lubicon
Feb 24, 2009, 7:00 PM
CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Calgary Police Service has charged a local man in
connection with an incident at the Peter Lougheed Centre
heliport.

On Sunday, Feb. 22, 2009, at approximately 1:45 p.m., a
vehicle heading north on 26 Avenue N.E., turned right into
the hospital’s parking lot. The vehicle was on the wrong side
of the road and after briefly stopping for an on-site
Protection Services officer, proceeded to drive through the
security fencing on the heliport. The vehicle stopped
approximately 4.5 metres from a STARS helicopter which was
preparing for take off.

A STARS pilot was able to exit the helicopter and restrain
the driver of the vehicle until two PLC Protection Services
officers arrived. During this time, one of the Protection
Services officers was struck in the face by the offender.
Police arrived shortly thereafter and the driver of the
vehicle was charged.

Trevor Todd REILANDER, 31, of Calgary, is charged with one
count each of endangering the safety of an aircraft,
dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and assault. No motive
has been established for this incident.

Transport Canada is now investigating.

thager
Oct 4, 2009, 8:26 AM
the PLC pad origanally was beside 36th st, when the hospital first opened.

Riise
Oct 4, 2009, 7:43 PM
the PLC pad origanally was beside 36th st, when the hospital first opened.

Due to construction it was temporarily moved to the S.E. corner of the lot. I'm not sure but I think I heard that a new pad was suppose to be atop the newest wing. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

mersar
Oct 4, 2009, 7:54 PM
Due to construction it was temporarily moved to the S.E. corner of the lot. I'm not sure but I think I heard that a new pad was suppose to be atop the newest wing. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Yep, there is a helipad on the north end of the new wing. Personally I dislike how they designed it, as the first floor extends out past the rest of the building so the pad is on top of it, but right beside the taller part of the building so you'd landing pretty much up against the wall. While I'm sure theres enough room, it just seems to be a bad design to me when every other one is either way out away from everything, or on top of the tallest part of the

You Need A Thneed
Oct 5, 2009, 4:04 PM
Yep, there is a helipad on the north end of the new wing. Personally I dislike how they designed it, as the first floor extends out past the rest of the building so the pad is on top of it, but right beside the taller part of the building so you'd landing pretty much up against the wall. While I'm sure theres enough room, it just seems to be a bad design to me when every other one is either way out away from everything, or on top of the tallest part of the

Nope, it's on the very top of the hospital. You can in fact see it very well from 32nd Ave between Barlow and 36th Street.