PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Vancouver - Restaurant Suggestions?

wmp.dll
Feb 15, 2009, 6:11 PM
Hey everyone,

I sincerely hope I have posted this thread in the right section. Im doing a weekend in Vancouver, with one other person. That other person is not 19 yet, so that rules out bars and pubs and all that stuff.

Were staying at the Best Western Downtown on Drake and Granville (southern downtown area?). We wont have a rental car, but have cabs and public transport at our disposal. Im hoping that you could suggest some places we should eat. We fly in Friday Afternoon and Fly out Monday Morning.

We dont really have a budget for food. We were thinking we might go to Lumiere one night, but I've heard its under-gone some changes. Is it still 'good'? we would also maybe like to go and eat some Chinese food, Indian perhaps? Would reservations be necessary at most places on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday night in Vancouver?

Thanks.

Yume-sama
Feb 15, 2009, 6:18 PM
Definitely make reservations at any "well known" restaurant, whether it's a Tuesday or Friday.

My favorite restaurants...
Indian, India Gate at 616 Robson Street (figure $20 per person)
Japanese, Shabusen Yakiniku at 202-755 Burrard Street ($28 per person, but it's a good "all you can eat" option)
Really good steaks, Gotham Steakhouse at 615 Seymour Street ($40 - $50 per person not including drinks is not unreasonable)
http://www.gothamsteakhouse.com/

I'm sure there are many other suggestions, but from what I've found during my binges of eating out, those are top notch, and all located downtown.

excel
Feb 15, 2009, 6:52 PM
Try the new Market restaurant in the Shangri-la hotel. The prices are very reasonable. You can find the menus here:

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/property/vancouver/shangrila/dining/restaurant/market

Spork
Feb 15, 2009, 6:57 PM
My favourite restaurants:

Wings (tons of flavours of wings, between 3-6pm is their $0.35 wing special): Wings on Granville -http://www.greatwings.ca/ ($15-$20/person depending upon how much you can eat)
Classy Belgian Food: Chambar - http://www.chambar.com/ ($35-$50/person)
Indian Food (across the bridge, but insanely good - take the #16 or #17 on Howe to get to it): Maurya - http://www.mauryaindiancuisine.com/ ($20-$35/person)
Japanese Food (several locations - Izakaya House): Guu - http://www.guu-izakaya.com/ ($15-$35/person)

Hong Kongese
Feb 15, 2009, 7:10 PM
For chinese food I would suggest the Kirin Mandarin restaurant on 1504-1166 Alberni street, not far from Shangri La tower.

When you go shopping at Metro town mall, there is also a good chinese reataurant (I forgot the name) by the skytrain station.

Canadian Mind
Feb 15, 2009, 7:29 PM
Really good steaks, Gotham Steakhouse at 615 Seymour Street ($40 - $50 per person not including drinks is not unreasonable)
http://www.gothamsteakhouse.com/

Jesus, they require you to wear a suit and tie for those 50-60 dollar steaks? :P

What are the portions liek? I might have to check this place out next time I'm in town.

SpongeG
Feb 15, 2009, 9:23 PM
subeez on homer and smithe is good - the chicken brie sandwich is my fave there

don't get the sangria though - its pretty gross

johnjimbc
Feb 16, 2009, 3:24 AM
My favorites / standards:

On the Waterfront with Great Views of the North Shore Mountains, Stanley Park, and Coal Harbour: LIFT. Steaks, Seafood, Creative dishes. Great Drinks and good wine menu.

Downtown / Eastern part of Robson: ARIA at the Westin Grand near Robson and Homer (seems little known by locals, but it's one of my favorites). Nice atmosphere, great service in a really sophisticated smaller dining area that overlooks the main library and library plaza. Continental dishes on a smaller menu, but it is great food, well prepared. Excellent soup appetizers and salads followed by consistently delicious entrees. Good selection of well-priced wines.

Off South Granville (11th St perhaps?): VIJ'S and VIJ'S RANGOLI. Modern take on Indian cuisine. I actually prefer Rangoli, the more casual spot. Food is delicious - Rangoli's is a great lunch place.

Cool Spot near but not in Yaletown (on Davie just below corner of Granville & Davie): BIN 941. No reservation for a small little place so prepare to wait or show up right at 5:00 pm when they open. Incredible tapas, though, and great wines. Really unique atmosphere.

On Davie a few blocks east of Denman: LOLITAS. Great mixed drinks (infused vodkas and fresh muddled fruits, etc). Really tasty and well-priced mexican tapa dishes. I was surprised how good it was since it looks like a little hole-in-the-wall place from the street. I've had a great time the two times I've dined there, though a friend said they felt service could be spotty sometimes if they are really busy.

nova9
Feb 16, 2009, 6:42 AM
I wish you were coming when the Canada Line is operating because I would mostly go to Richmond for reliable Chinese food that's gastronimically accessible. And for the best bubbletea!!! And the best personal hot pots!! And the best desserts!

I would recommend Mortons's on W. Hasting rather than Gotham.

I also love Italian Kitchen on Alberni as well as Glowbal in Yaletown. From the same owners of Italian Kitchen and Glowbal is also Trattoria Italian Kitchen on 4th & Burrard.

I'd also try Lift in Coal Harbour.

For really casual Japanese, go to Oysi Oysi on Alberni. They have great service, great prices, great portions, and superbly fresh fish. Or you can try MoMo's in Gastown

If you want to venture out to hip Main St., check out Cascade Room (Main and 11th) and their adjacent Habit (but I think that is under renovations).

Let us know how your visit goes. By the way, Where are you visiting from?

Yume-sama
Feb 16, 2009, 7:11 AM
I agree with the Italian Kitchen. I have my gripes about the place, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the food. It is yummy.

The Kobe beef meatballs with the truffle sauce is super (only on the dinner menu, but you can request at lunch time).

osirisboy
Feb 16, 2009, 3:31 PM
for brunch, Le Provence Marianaside on Marianaside in yaletown.
for something seafood Blue Water Cafe in yaletown is very good but a little expensive.

I agree Gotham is really good. Although the cactus club in yaletown has amazing steaks even better than Gotham and for half the cost.

S_B_Russell
Feb 16, 2009, 4:08 PM
I had brunch at Reef on Commercial a while back and was impressed with their Jamaican take on breakfast. Both the crabcake and jerk salmon benedicts were excellent.

http://www.thereefrestaurant.com/

vanlaw
Feb 16, 2009, 6:10 PM
We were thinking we might go to Lumiere one night, but I've heard its under-gone some changes. Is it still 'good'? Thanks.

I was at Lumiere last month, post re-launch. Food was phenomenal, as should be expected, but it was the service that made the night. Easily the best all around service I have ever had. If you have the $$, I would highly recommend.

nova9
Feb 17, 2009, 2:50 AM
I was at Lumiere last month, post re-launch. Food was phenomenal, as should be expected, but it was the service that made the night. Easily the best all around service I have ever had. If you have the $$, I would highly recommend.

And you could also head over to DB Modern to have a go at a restaurant led by a michelin-rated chef!!

I have yet to go but I'm saving up for my michelin star smorgasborg (sp?) in Paris. 25 days away!

giallo
Feb 17, 2009, 3:31 AM
I had brunch at Reef on Commercial a while back and was impressed with their Jamaican take on breakfast. Both the crabcake and jerk salmon benedicts were excellent.

http://www.thereefrestaurant.com/

The Reef is great. My friend works there, so I've had a lot on the menu. The sauces they make are so nice.

S_B_Russell
Feb 17, 2009, 10:15 AM
The Reef is great. My friend works there, so I've had a lot on the menu. The sauces they make are so nice.

Straight up! Their hot sauce is badass.

usog
Feb 17, 2009, 7:21 PM
You'll want to go to Richmond and try one of the many restaurants on No.3 road. Lots of Asian food of all kinds there.

officedweller
Feb 18, 2009, 6:28 AM
Agreed that Shangri-La is reasonable for the quality of the food - it's a Jean-Georges restaurant...

However, you are tourists - so that means that you should eat somewhere with a view - otherwise you wouldn't know you're in Vancouver, would you?

As mentioned, try Provence Marinaside - Davie St. and Marinaside Crescent - on the Concord Lands right next to Yaletown.

Alternatively, try almost any restaurant in Yaletown for a warehousey feel (big wood beams, brick)(exceptions to the warehouse look are Goldfish Pacific Kitchen, Glowbal, Cioppinos).

If you go to Granville Island - try Bridges (big yellow building next to the market).

If you go near Stanley Park, try the aforementioned Lift, which is just behind the Westin Bayshore on the seawall, or Cardero's, which is just east of the Westin Bayshore on the seawall.

Each of those places have great views.

LeftCoaster
Feb 18, 2009, 7:24 AM
Hey if you want somewhere with a view why kid around... go to the grand daddy of them all: Salmon House on the Hill.

Great food and a view unbeatable anywhere in the world.

SpongeG
Feb 18, 2009, 7:25 AM
what hill is that on?

LeftCoaster
Feb 18, 2009, 7:27 AM
Its in the British Properties above the upper levels highway in West Van.

You never heard of it? Its one of the more famous restaurants in the city.

wmp.dll
Feb 18, 2009, 3:39 PM
By the way, Where are you visiting from?

Just Calgary Alberta, nothing exotic or far away really. I visited Vancouver once before for a weekend last year, you guys have a great city. The weather was great, and there was a ton of people out and about on Robson and everything.

SpongeG
Feb 18, 2009, 11:09 PM
Its in the British Properties above the upper levels highway in West Van.

You never heard of it? Its one of the more famous restaurants in the city.

never heard of the place before

LeftCoaster
Feb 18, 2009, 11:18 PM
Really? you should give it a try. The food is excelent and the view is to die for.

SpongeG
Feb 19, 2009, 12:05 AM
i don't like salmon

LeftCoaster
Feb 19, 2009, 12:21 AM
Haha well its not my favourite food either, but I can assure you the porterhouse is excelent too.

mezzanine
Feb 19, 2009, 12:33 AM
My list - all of them reasonably-priced, within walking distance and not hole-in-the-walls. If you like those places, i also have another list :cheers:

La bodega - it is a great spanish tapas place close by on Howe. Not typically 'west-coast', but an authetic place.

Bin 941 - also a short walk on davie, very small dining room, though, if you are not used to small spaces.

For seaside places - agree with Provence @ marinaside

Amacord in yaletown - I am surprised there has not been a lot of press about this place. It's been there for several years - I think it is family-run, in a nice loft building with exposed brick inside and great food. Not a lot of flash, but if your distant uncle fredo wanted to meet you downtown, he would meet you here. Great for lunch after a walk thru yaletown.

Pinion
Feb 19, 2009, 1:07 AM
La bodega - it is a great spanish tapas place close by on Howe. Not typically 'west-coast', but an authetic place.

I was going to say this. La Bodega is literally a stone's throw from your hotel (about 40 feet away) and is the best bang for the buck in the city IMO. The food is better than super expensive places but you can get out of there paying less than $25 per person (not including alcohol).

Very relaxed atmosphere but classy.

johnjimbc
Feb 19, 2009, 3:30 AM
This has been a great thread. I have picked up a couple of places I need to try. La Bodega sounds great. And the Salmon House sounds incredible as well. Probably a few others as well, will need to read back through.

Spork
Feb 19, 2009, 3:49 AM
I'd like to highlight Maurya again, because I love that place for some reason. Read some media reviews here: http://www.mauryaindiancuisine.com/zgrid/themes/41/media/media.jsp

In particular the fact that they were rated (in 2006) as one of the top restaurants in North America. I absolutely buy it. They were on Opening Soon and apparently brought in India's top Tandoori chef just to work there.

giallo
Feb 19, 2009, 4:34 AM
I just checked out Maurya's website and boy does it look good.

I took the wifey to Tandoor Indian Kitchen here in Shanghai for Valentine's day and it was fantastic. I'll have to try Maurya now to compare.

wmp.dll
Feb 23, 2009, 5:01 AM
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. Im sort of wondering if most of these places are places I could walk into in say a pair of jeans and a nice sweater and get a table? Since this is just a weekend trip, I dont intend to bring any really formal clothing. So would most places in Vancouver accept me in a nice pair of jeans and a sweater?

Im also interested in two places I've seen mentioned on another site:
Fuel
Gastropod

Any insight into those places?

Thanks again.

nova9
Feb 23, 2009, 6:10 AM
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. Im sort of wondering if most of these places are places I could walk into in say a pair of jeans and a nice sweater and get a table? Since this is just a weekend trip, I dont intend to bring any really formal clothing. So would most places in Vancouver accept me in a nice pair of jeans and a sweater?.
It's Vancouver - people go to the Opera in jeans (guilt as charged). But I would still bring my best jeans and the trendiest (said with a grain of salt) sweater. Think casual but chic rather than comfortable and casual. There has to be a little pain in being fashionable.Im also interested in two places I've seen mentioned on another site:
Fuel
Gastropod

Any insight into those places?

I've never been to fuel but Gastropod rocks! you have to try their scallop ceviche, their all natural lamb, and then their poached apple blue cheescake!!!

LeftCoaster
Feb 23, 2009, 6:29 PM
I'm the same, never been to Fuel, but Gastropod is one of the better restaurants in the city Their food prices are actually qutie reasonable, but their wine menu is exorbitantly expensive.

Would certainly recommend it, and RainCity Grill, one of my absolute favourite restaurants in the city. Nice atmosphere, great location and the food is always superb. Try and get a table near the window around sunset if you can.

SpongeG
Feb 23, 2009, 11:21 PM
I was just reading about FUEL somewhere - they are having some cheap lunch special

officedweller
Feb 25, 2009, 5:46 AM
Apparently Joe Mallozzi goes there a lot - doubt its cheap though - lost of pics:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/12/19/december-19-2008/
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/01/14/january-14-2009-scalzi-and-stargate-together-at-last/
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/january-23-2009-pigging-out-at-fuel/

deasine
Feb 25, 2009, 6:42 AM
Fuel isn't too bad... it's on the pricier side (for me that is) but you are definitely getting quality food. Gastropod on the other hand...

vanlaw
Mar 4, 2009, 12:05 AM
Fuel is really good - was just there on Saturday. But as some have mentioned it is pricey – almost on par with Lumiere. Lumiere’s 6 course is $135, Fuel’s is $84 I think, and Fuel’s 9 course is $125. We each did the 9 course (couldn’t walk after, along with the three bottles of wine) and everything I had was fantastic, which was also the case with Lumiere. The 6 course at Fuel definitely would have been sufficient.

The plus for fuel is that if you don’t want, you are not tied to a tasting menu; you can just order appy’s and mains.

Also re: Fuel - the food is fantastic, the service is great, but (and this isn’t a negative) the space is much more understated than Lumiere - more clean and modern and minimalist as opposed to Lumiere's (post re-launch) classy opulence (i.e. you feel like you will sink into the carpet is so soft).