PDA

View Full Version : Canucks Central

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Hong Kongese
Feb 4, 2009, 6:12 AM
Finally....

Sundin and Burrows lead Canucks to victory

By Elliott Pap, Vancouver SunFebruary 3, 2009 10:01 PM

VANCOUVER — Mats Sundin came alive Tuesday and so did the Vancouver Canucks. The much-maligned almost 38-year-old Swede scored once and assisted on another as the Canucks snapped their mind-boggling nine-game losing streak on home ice, edging the Carolina Hurricanes 4-3.

Alex Burrows emerged as the ultimate hero, however, as he scored on a shorthanded breakaway with 1:22 remaining in the third period to break a 3-3 tie.

Coach Alain Vigneault’s newly concocted line of Sundin, Pavol Demitra and Ryan Kesler was Vancouver’s best on the night and combined for six points.

Leading 3-2 after 40 minutes, the Canucks took no time in squandering the advantage as their penalty killing again collapsed with Mattias Ohlund in the box.

Ray Whitney found Eric Staal completely uncovered on the backside and Staal had little trouble sliding the puck past Roberto Luongo at the 33-second mark.

The Canucks struck early in the first when Carolina captain Rod Brind’Amour tripped Kyle Wellwood and Kevin Bieksa made them pay at the 2:21 mark, thanks to a nice screen from Taylor Pyatt.

Kesler made it 2-0 Vancouver at 12:41 as he one-timed Demitra’s feed after Sundin ambitiously retrieved the puck on a dump-in.

The Canucks couldn’t stand the prosperity, however, and surrendered the lead during a horrific 25 seconds midway through the second period.

With Bieksa off for high sticking Brandon Sutter (Brent’s son), Joe Corvo blasted a shot off Luongo’s right arm as the Canuck netminder was scrambling to find his fallen goal stick.

On the next shift, the Sedins and Taylor Pyatt were drawn completely out coverage and Joni Pitkanen was left all by his lonesome on the faceoff dot where he drilled a shot right through the Canuck captain.

Sundin restored the lead at 15:10 of the second when he collected his own rebound, circled the Hurricane cage and banked a wraparound forehand off Carolina goalie Cam Ward.

epap@vancouversun.com

Kodii
Feb 4, 2009, 6:27 AM
And it feels glorious. There's hope again!

KPELLY
Feb 4, 2009, 6:35 AM
It was soo unexpected when Burrows scored shorthanded, that sort of thing just hasn't happened to the Canucks lately. It's nice to see Sundin have a good game for once too. Hopefully they'll get on a roll.

Kwik-E-Mart
Feb 4, 2009, 7:18 AM
It's long overdue for the team and its fans. The game vs. Chicago this saturday will be a litmus test to see if the Nucks really have turned the corner... or not.

Hong Kongese
Feb 4, 2009, 7:32 AM
If the Canucks lost this game, coach Allain would be history. GM Gillis can not afford to let the team keep on sliding.

GeeCee
Feb 4, 2009, 7:46 AM
It's a Christmas miracle!!

Distill3d
Feb 4, 2009, 8:04 AM
Sundin did what!?! you sure it wasn't Sedin?

deasine
Feb 4, 2009, 8:04 AM
Well the win has a lot to do with luck, but the Canucks seem to have played a little better in todays game.

agrant
Feb 4, 2009, 8:26 AM
I'm not getting on the bandwagon until they win 8 straight.

Distill3d
Feb 4, 2009, 8:30 AM
^won't be this season, thats for sure!

...cue Sconadian...

Vancity
Feb 4, 2009, 11:18 PM
I agree with one of the posters. While it's nice to FINALLY get a win at home no less, I think the real test whether this team has turned the corner or not is against the Blackhawks on Saturday. I was at the game vs. Carolina - what a game it was. The Canucks started off really strong, and then they lost their way in the 2nd period. Luongo seemed average. Every time the 'Canes shot the puck at him, I wasn't sure if he was going to stop it. That was how suspect his play has been of late.

There is an 8 game road trip coming up for the 'Nucks. If they lose badly on that trip, you can bet that we'll be out of the playoff picture by that point. The trade deadline would just be around the corner, and if we lose even half of those games, and the other teams (i.e. Minny, Edmonton, etc) all pull away, we will become sellers. IF, however, we manage to put a strong string of wins - we'll be buyers, and the city will jump on the bandwagon once again. I gotta add, the crowd last night was amazing. Vancouerites really do love their team :yes:

At least we have a winning streak - of 1

Hong Kongese
Feb 8, 2009, 8:29 AM
We did it again! Two wins in a row now...

Canucks dominate Blackhawks 7-3

By Jason Botchford, The ProvinceFebruary 7, 2009 11:01 PM

No, that wasn't a team of 15-year-olds the Canucks beat Saturday.

It just looked that way.

It was a game no reasonable person thought the Canucks could win, let alone dominate. The Chicago Blackhawks rolled into Vancouver as the NHL's latest it-boys. They were like teen idols who had it all except for the Tiger Beat cover story. Swimming in wins for three months, the youthful Hawks were deemed too fast, too deep and too good for the Canucks.

But that's before Vancouver took the ice and revealed a metamorphosis as sudden and as unlikely as what we saw from the Arizona Cardinals in the NFL playoffs. It was like Michael Phelps' reputation going up in smoke, but in reverse.

For anyone who follows the Canucks, their 7-3 win against one of the hottest teams in hockey was something odd to watch and that's exactly what the Blackhawks did for most of two periods. They played like they were rubber-necking their own car accident.

Coming off a cathartic win Tuesday, the Canucks started the game like they had sluiced the pent-up feelings of self-doubt and incompetence which plagued them for six weeks. It wasn't just a win Tuesday, that was an exorcism.

"[Tuesday's win] was really important, it was weighing on everybody," Roberto Luongo said. "The losing and the home losing streak as well. It was getting tough to play. But at a certain point you have to go out there and do the job. It was really big for us to get that win out of the way and move on. We were playing a hockey game [Saturday] without thinking about coming out of a slump.

"It's not as easy coming to the rink when you're losing. Guys are happy [now], they're enjoying themselves. When you're more relaxed, you tend to play better on the ice."

The Canucks looked emotionally cleansed from the start when the Sedin twins whirled the puck around the Hawks playmakers before Henrik tipped in a 45-foot shot from his brother just 53 seconds in.

After the Sedins scored off the rush, Mats Sundin emerged as a force around the net and Ryan Kesler continued to show that yes, he does have peripheral vision. The pair combined for two power play goals and the Canucks had a 3-0 lead after the first period.

Everyone was expecting the Hawks to wake up but by the time they did it was the third period and they were down 6-1 and they were way too late for work. By the end, the Canucks had seven goals and only two came from the Sedin twins. Not only that, they had three power play goals and only gave up one.

"Guys were looser than they've been in a long time," Alex Burrows said. "We have been so close for so long. We always felt we weren't that far and everyone here has had good intentions. We put it all together and did it against a very good team."

Alex Edler, such a non-factor throughout so much of the past two months, piled up four points and Steve Bernier scored, meaning the Canucks had three lines, not one, that scored.

If that's a sign of things to come, the Canucks could have a lot to look forward to during the final two months of the season.

Head coach Alain Vigneault talked of slaying the beast, which is that prolonged slump that finally ended in dramatic fashion Tuesday.

Now, the Canucks will get exactly what they have wanted for about a month — a road game.

"All of a sudden we've won two in a row," Luongo said. "It was big . . . now the boys are excited to get out on the road and spend some time together as a team."

In the end, Luongo made 36 saves. He was great when he had to be, especially in the final 10 minutes of the first period when the Hawks made a valiant effort to get back into the game. He still isn't happy with where his game is at.

Luongo's passion doesn't translate well in his TV interviews and you can drink away a night debating his value, his skill and whether he's overrated or not. But you should never question his resolve, or his single-minded desire to improve in an effort to make himself and his team better.

Feeling the immediacy of February in his mind and the rust of October in his legs, Luongo has spent much of the past two weeks showing up 45 minutes early to practice, tirelessly trying to get his game back.

jbotchford@theprovince.com

Metro-One
Feb 8, 2009, 8:32 AM
I wonder how often "Blawkhawks Down" will be used as a pun in local papers. :D

NetMapel
Feb 8, 2009, 8:39 AM
I'm among those who were completely shocked after hearing the final score. Sometime in today's afternoon, my friend said he's going to see the game tonight and I blatantly told him it'd be such a waste of his money watching the Canucks lose badly. Now I'm pleasantly surprised :D

GeeCee
Feb 8, 2009, 9:13 AM
I was at work.. saw the score was 6-0 at one point in the second. I got confused and went to find another tv to make sure that it wasn't broken. :koko:

CoryHolmes
Feb 8, 2009, 5:28 PM
I was at work.. saw the score was 6-0 at one point in the second. I got confused and went to find another tv to make sure that it wasn't broken. :koko:

Same here. I was just getting settled into my nightshift when I saw the clock and scrounged up a radio. When the commentators said it was the middle of the 2nd and 6-0, I didn't know what to say.

Go team go! :notacrook:

Hong Kongese
Feb 11, 2009, 4:08 AM
WE WON AGAIN!!!!!!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Us 6 and the Blues 4

deasine
Feb 11, 2009, 5:18 AM
I thought it was kind of a messy game... but at least we won.

mr.x
Feb 11, 2009, 5:46 AM
I don't believe it.....they probably perfected the 2010 Opening Ceremony's hologram technology inside GM Place.

excel
Feb 11, 2009, 6:42 AM
it was messy cus of luongo. the demitra sundin kesler line was clutch tho.

LeftCoaster
Feb 11, 2009, 5:44 PM
Yeah Lu still hasn't returned to form since his injury... oh well he has earned some bailouts from the rest of the team over the last few years. lets just hope he knows the team isnt good enough without him on his A game for too long.

BTW good call on finally stickying a canucks thread... I dont know how there wasn't one before.

djmk
Feb 11, 2009, 5:50 PM
agreed. Lu still has not returned to his prime.

also, 5on5 still seems a bit weak.

Hong Kongese
Feb 13, 2009, 4:24 AM
Just realized that deasine has changed the name of this thread, and it becomes a sticky also. :)

Hong Kongese
Feb 13, 2009, 4:37 AM
WE WON AGAIN, AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nucks 4 and the Dogs 3

teriyaki
Feb 13, 2009, 4:50 AM
Wasn't too interesting when it was 2-0 for the Coyotes, but once the third period was amazing to watch with so many shots on goal by Vancouver. Kind of bummed to see them miss the empty net so many times though:shrug:

Hong Kongese
Feb 13, 2009, 5:13 AM
Lu didn't play that well in the 1st period, but he got much better as the game went on. Yeah, it was stupid for them missing so many empty net chances.

Vancity
Feb 13, 2009, 5:46 PM
Agreed. Lu hasn't played very well at all. I stopped watching for a while when the Canucks were down 2-0, watched a bit, and they scored 2-1, and then they were down before the end of the 2nd period 3-1. ARRRGH. Why can't we be like the Detroit Red Wings or the Boston Bruins?! I'm glad that they won, though, if we could win tonight in Dallas, what a run this would be (haven't had something like this in such a long time) - we'd be on a 5 game winning streak. Keep this up, and we'll make some room between us and the rest of the pack chasing (Minny, Edmonton, Dallas, etc). Who knows? Maybe we can even catch the Flames at this rate (if we win tonight against Dallas, we'd be 7 points back and we play the Flames twice)

Pinion
Feb 13, 2009, 7:52 PM
I thought this thread was about http://www.canuckscentral.com

Kodii
Feb 13, 2009, 8:37 PM
Who knows? Maybe we can even catch the Flames at this rate
I don't have THAT much hope :haha:

Hong Kongese
Feb 16, 2009, 5:56 AM
Canucks skate to 4-2 victory over Habs

By Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun

February 15, 2009 9:37 PM

Beating the Montreal Canadiens has become downright Hab-it forming for the Vancouver Canucks. The Canucks defeated Montreal for the 10th time in the last 11 meetings between the teams as they skated to a convincing 4-2 victory Sunday night at General Motors Place.

The win vaulted the Canucks from a tie for eighth spot into sole possession of fifth place in the NHL’s tight Western Conference.

The Canucks led from start to finish in this one and were the better team all night.

The victory was Vancouver’s fifth in its last six games and came during what was a brief pit stop at home. The Canucks now head out on the road for four games as they continue a journey that sees them play eight games in eight different cities.

Daniel Sedin, Alex Edler, Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler all scored for the Canucks, who are now 27-21-8 on the season.

Two goals 48 seconds apart midway through the first period gave Vancouver a 2-0 lead.

Daniel Sedin opened scoring off a three-on-two rush when he took a pass from brother Henrik and had his shot bounce off the stick of Montreal defenceman Josh Gorges and over the shoulder of goalie Jaroslav Halak at the 10:28 mark.

Edler made it 2-0 when he one-timed a pass from fellow defenceman Mattias Ohlund that beat Halak to the glove side.

But the Canucks gave up a late goal at 18:14 of the first when they were caught flat-footed after Tom Kostopoulos fed a pass from behind the net to Saku Koivu. The Montreal captain beat Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo to the short side.

The Canucks carried the play again in the second and were finally rewarded for their efforts in the final minute when Alex Burrows and the Sedin twins combined on a nice three-way passing play to restore Vancouver’s two-goal lead.

Burrows fed Daniel a pass, who in turn threw it back to Henrik. His shot beat Halak to the stick side for his 11th goal of the season.

Kesler’s goal at 5:54 of the third came on a two-on-one break with Mats Sundin.

The goal was Kesler’s 16th of the season and seventh in his last seven games.

Montreal forward Andrei Kostitsyn made it 4-2 when he beat Luongo from right faceoff circke at 17:33 of the third period.

bziemer@vancouversun.com

I'm happy that the Canucks won but I also feel sorry for the habs since I'm also happen to be a Canadien fan.

Hong Kongese
Feb 18, 2009, 6:01 AM
HAHA,, The Canucks won 4-3 in shoot out over the Flames. Kesler scored twice and Lu played really well.

MistyMountainHop
Feb 19, 2009, 1:33 AM
Shame Calgary got a point, but it was a good game.

LeftCoaster
Feb 19, 2009, 1:42 AM
To be quite honest they deserved at least a point... they outplayed us quite solidly for 40 minutes and we are lucky to get out of there with two points.

Still as they say you have to find ways to win... and I can't even cound the amount of times I've seen the canucks dominate a team and still lose. Especially in the WCE days with Clouts in net.

twoNeurons
Feb 19, 2009, 5:20 AM
hehe... that suddenly reminded me of these pictures:
http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/03/cloutier-beach-ball.jpg

Yume-sama
Feb 19, 2009, 5:47 AM
Was at the game, and I feel blessed to have witnessed the goaltending by Luongo and Kiprusoff especially. Absolutely stunning. :yes:

Hong Kongese
Feb 20, 2009, 3:48 AM
Didn't have chance to watch this game...

Yes, they can: Canucks beat Senators 5-2

By Iain MacIntyre, Vancouver Sun columnistFebruary 19, 2009 7:13 PM

OTTAWA — On the day U.S. President Barack Obama made his first visit to Canada’s capital, the Vancouver Canucks delivered their own message of hope: a 5-2 win against the Ottawa Senators.

Led by the UFA Line, potential unrestricted free agents Daniel and Henrik Sedin and Alex Burrows, the Canucks won for the seventh time in eight games to gather momentum as they steam across Canada.

Yes, they can. After winning in Ottawa and Calgary, the Canucks travel to the centre of the universe for Mats Sundin’s homecoming game Saturday in Toronto, then finish their tour Tuesday in Montreal.

The Canucks’ first line was untouchable against the Senators. The Sedins and Burrows combined for 10 points and was involved in the first four Vancouver goals. Their dominance was even more impressive because it came against Ottawa’s first line, which included $8-million-men Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza.

With his parents watching — they drove the two hours from Montreal — Burrows had one of his best games as a pro.

He whistled a 25-foot wrist shot through Daniel’s screen to make it 1-0 at 3:14 after a ghastly giveaway by Ottawa defenceman Filip Kuba, then drew an assist on Henrik’s goal at 10:49 that was beautifully set up by Daniel’s diagonal pass after a strong keep-in by Vancouver’s Kevin Bieksa.

Bieksa then made it 3-0 on a power play at 15:23, his point shot deflected through goalie Brian Elliott by Senator blueliner Jason Smith.

Daniel Sedin had a tap-in to make it 4-0 at 8:35 of the second period on a gorgeous setup by Burrows, who skated past defenceman Anton Volchenkov in the slot and drew Elliott wide before sliding a pass across to his linemate.

It looked like a laugher for the Canucks, but they lost some of their smile when the Senators scored twice in four minutes to make a game of it.

With Henrik in the penalty box for hooking, Heatley had time and space on the power play to pick a corner on Canuck goalie Roberto Luongo at 12:38. And Chris Phillips scored through the rubble at 16:18 after Vancouver defenceman Mattias Ohlund, shoved down by Ottawa’s Mike Fisher, bowled over Luongo.

Luongo made a key save early in the third period, thrusting out his left pad to block Heatley’s breakaway attempt, but the Canucks never looked ready to choke on their lead and got an empty-net goal from Ryan Kesler with 12 seconds remaining.

imacintyre@vancouversun.com

Hong Kongese
Mar 2, 2009, 6:47 AM
The Canucks have been real hot lately, winning 10 of their last 12 games. They just beat the Blue Jackets 3-1 tonight. The whole team played faultlessly and Shane O'Brien also won the decision over the Jacket's Derek Dorsett.

Kodii
Mar 2, 2009, 7:05 AM
^Faultlessly no. Better than usual, yes :)

Vancity
Mar 3, 2009, 7:19 AM
The Canucks have been real hot lately, winning 10 of their last 12 games. They just beat the Blue Jackets 3-1 tonight. The whole team played faultlessly and Shane O'Brien also won the decision over the Jacket's Derek Dorsett.

They are playing pretty well these days. What a difference a month makes, eh? In January, the team couldn't buy a win, and now, they've been one of the hottest teams in the NHL (if they're not already the hottest right now). Luongo's play has gotten much better, but I think there's quite a ways still for him to be his "old self". If the Canucks can continue their hot play right into the playoffs, we'll be a team to be reckoned with. It's all about getting hot at the right time, and it seems like Vancouver's getting hot just around the right time. GO CANUCKS GO! Tuesday's game will be huge, the 'Nucks NEED to win that one. Only 5 points separate them from 5th to 9th.

Kodii
Mar 3, 2009, 7:48 AM
I'm not entirely sure I would call the Canucks "hot" right now. Especially in the game against Tampa which should have been less of a "struggle" (of sorts) to win. They're definitely playing a LOT better, but its not the sort of thing you'd classify in the same category as the Flames.

That aside, here's to a long playoff run for the Canucks! :cheers:

Vancity
Mar 17, 2009, 7:31 AM
The Canucks are playing well right now. They won again against the Avs (4-2), a team that we traditionally struggle against. If we keep playing the way we have for the next month, we may be getting hot at just the right time, and that's important when going into the playoffs. I hope that the Canucks go beyond the 1st & 2nd rounds - this city would be jumping if we move past the 2nd round! WOOHOO! However, i'll just be happy to have the Canucks in the playoffs this year (unlike last year, when they missed it, and melted down).

KPELLY
Mar 17, 2009, 8:32 AM
Yes they have been hot. And they have gained a lot of ground on the Flames who have been struggling as of late (lost 4 of last 5) and they still may have a shot at the division title. The Canucks are 5 pts back with a game in hand and have one more meeting with the Flames, so they still control their own destiny. (unless the Flames win every single one of their remaining games, because if they did it would actually be mathematically impossible for the Canucks to pass them (very unlikely though))

Vancity
Mar 20, 2009, 7:39 AM
Canucks won again! they set franchise record 9th straight win, and now they are on their 11th straight win at home ice. wow. that's incredible. i hope that they continue to win, and stay hot right into the playoffs, so that we have a long run in the postseason. is this the year that the vancouver canucks franchise finally wins the cup, when we got so ever so close back in 1994? i certainly hope so...

GO CANUCKS GOO!!

touraccuracy
Mar 20, 2009, 8:05 AM
^knock on some wood. NOW.

KPELLY
Apr 8, 2009, 8:22 AM
Canucks beat Calgary tonight. Got completely out shot but they beat em where it counts on the scoreboard: 4-1. I went to the game and it felt a lot like a playoff game. Hopefully the Canucks win their last two games and and the Flames only manage three or less pts in their final two. If this happens the Canucks take the division. GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Vancity
Apr 8, 2009, 8:26 AM
the canucks won again tonight! 4-1 over the Flames, and we're now tied with calgary with 96 points, and a chance for the division lead. with the playoffs just around the corner. some canuck news with regards to prospects. canucks have signed two NCAA players in Evan Oberg, and Matt Walsky.

Found this from Canucks.com:

Here are the top ranked college FAs from McKeens:

1. Matt Gilroy, 6-2/195, D, Boston University
2. Tyler Bozak, 6-0/180, C, Denver Pioneers
3. John Mitchell, 6-5/200, LW, Wisconsin
4. Christian Hanson, 6-3/202, C, Notre Dame
5. Trevor Bruess, 6-0/192, C, Minnesota State
6. Evan Oberg, 6-2/180, D, Minnesota Duluth
7. Eric Walsky, 5-11/194, RW, Colorado College
8. Brad Thiessen, 6-0/180, G, Northeastern
9. Sean Backman, 5-9/170, C, Yale Bulldogs
10. Paul Crowder, 6-2 180, RW, Alaska Anchorage

Haven't heard much about any of these prospects, but getting two prospects out of the top ten ain't bad. Anyone heard about John Mitchell? Is he any good? Rumors are that Mike Gillis is pursuing Matt Gilroy.

I personally think that MG is doing a heck of a job with stocking the farm with prospects. I don't ever recall Dave Nonis or Brian Burke signing NCAA players (maybe I'm mistaken?) - but it seems like they're doing a lot of that right now with the Leafs. I like the direction that Gillis is taking. Sign more prospects, without trading the organization's young assets. things are looking good ^^ keep 'em prospects coming, MG!

raggedy13
Apr 8, 2009, 8:41 AM
If Vancouver can win against LA and Colorado while the Oilers are able to beat the Flames in at least one of their two games I'll be a happy camper and super excited about the playoffs. Great outcome tonight at least. :yes:

mr.x
Apr 8, 2009, 12:48 PM
And if they get into the playoffs, I'll jump back into the bandwagon and cheer them on! :D (i jumped off the hockey wagon way back during the lockout)

LeftCoaster
Apr 8, 2009, 5:03 PM
And if they get into the playoffs, I'll jump back into the bandwagon and cheer them on! :D (i jumped off the hockey wagon way back during the lockout)

They are already in the playoffs X, you should probably just stay off the bandwagon.

Last nights game was superb. I've been to most of the home games this year and I'd say that was one of the louder regular season games so far this year. Regarding the shots, well they didnt really indicate the flow of the game which was far more even than the shots would make you believe. I think the two teams were even in terms of scoring chances, Bobby just stood on his head.

Vancity
Apr 8, 2009, 5:35 PM
i'm not sure if i want the canucks to win the division title. i mean, it's nice, but that means we face a red hot goaltender in mason with the columbus bluejackets. then again, either way (if we finish #5 or #3), we'll face two inexperienced teams in the playoffs. can't buy experience, and we have a few players on the roster who have had those invaluable playoff experiences. i'm excited for the playoffs to begin! luongo (basing it on the one year he made it to the postseason) seems to elevate his play in the playoffs (1.77 GAA; record sucks, though 5-7).

phesto
Apr 8, 2009, 5:49 PM
^Looking at the standings, isn't there a possibility (albeit remote) that the Canucks could still finish 6th and face Calgary in the first round?

LeftCoaster
Apr 8, 2009, 6:12 PM
There sure is, albeit remote.

Vancity, Columbus has really cooled off lately, and is 4-2-4 in their last 10, whereas Chicago is on fire again at 7-2-1 in their last 10. I think I would definitely still take 1st in the division, secure home ice advantage and take my chances with a less skilled Columbus team than a dark horse in Chicago.

NetMapel
Apr 8, 2009, 6:13 PM
Winning the division is nice, but the best bet to win series 1 would be against Chicago. That's just what I think.

djmk
Apr 8, 2009, 6:46 PM
canucks are playing some pretty scary hockey

ever since they did not even have a shot on goal vs. minnesota in the 3rd period and then went on a mini losing spree to cap it off with Luongo being peppered last night.

this type of play will not get them far in the playoffs. however, sundin is supposed to be the playoff master, so who knows.

Vancity
Apr 8, 2009, 7:41 PM
canucks are playing some pretty scary hockey

ever since they did not even have a shot on goal vs. minnesota in the 3rd period and then went on a mini losing spree to cap it off with Luongo being peppered last night.

this type of play will not get them far in the playoffs. however, sundin is supposed to be the playoff master, so who knows.

don't get your hopes up too high. i am expecting good things out of sundin, but not great things. i hope he proves me wrong.

mr.x
Apr 9, 2009, 12:56 AM
If Sundin couldn't perform for the last few months, how could we expect him to perform during the playoffs??? It's not as if the game changes during the playoffs.

Hong Kongese
Apr 10, 2009, 3:17 AM
Can any one tell me what happened to Kyle Wellwood's right eye? It looks like he'd got hit by a hockey puck or something.

Kodii
Apr 10, 2009, 4:56 AM
:previous: Wasn't it in a fight? (Haha I know... Wellwood in a fight)

In other news, Canucks just beat the Kings 1-0, gaining us another 2 points. Depending on how the Flames do in the next two games against the Oilers, the Nucks could still pick up the divisional title. Not that I really want the Canucks to be third in the conference. I'd rather be facing the Blackhawks than Columbus. Plus, the Flames probably deserve the title more than we do.

Hong Kongese
Apr 10, 2009, 5:23 AM
Not that I really want the Canucks to be third in the conference. I'd rather be facing the Blackhawks than Columbus.

Yes, the Nucks have better chance to beat the Hawks.

Vancity
Apr 10, 2009, 8:08 AM
yeah. while i'd agree that the easier opponent would maybe be the 'Hawks, we all have to understand that anything can happen in the postseason. Chicago, while inexperienced, could very well beat us as well in the first round. The do have a goaltender who have won the Cup with Tampa Bay a number of years ago (was it 2004 against the Flames?) - Khabibulan (sp?). We can't be afraid of who we play, and in order to be the best, we've got to go through the best, right? Columbus has Steve Mason, and he'll probably win the rookies of the year award, but he's also pretty inexperienced. Luongo is playing very well. Either way (whether we face the 'Hawks, or the Blue Jackets), I think the 'Nucks are going to go past to the second round.

I am predicting, whether against Columbus or Chicago, we'll finish either off in 6 games. 4-2 Canuck win series.

Kodii
Apr 11, 2009, 9:47 PM
The Canucks just clinched the Northwest Division Title! :cheers:

We will most likely be facing Columbus with home ice advantage in the first round.

Kodii
Apr 11, 2009, 9:51 PM
Canucks win Northwest Division title and earn home-ice advantage in first round of playoffs

By Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun April 11, 2009 2:42 PM

DENVER -- Chumps in January. Northwest Division champs in April.

A roller-coaster season for the Canucks ended on a big-time high today as Vancouver beat the Colorado Avalanche 1-0 in overtime to claim the Northwest crown.

Daniel Sedin scored the winner at 40 seconds of overtime on a weak backhand shot.

Goalie Roberto Luongo earned his second straight shutout and ninth of the season.

Vancouver ends the regular season with a record of 45-27-10 and 100 points.

That gives the Canucks their second Northwest Division title in three years and caps a remarkable turnaround in their season.

After a dreadful January that saw the Canucks fall as far as 14 points behind Calgary, the Canucks have gone 23-7-2 since Feb. 1 to reel in the Flames.

The Canucks now must wait to see who their first-round playoff opponent will be. Vancouver will meet the No. 6 seed in the first round and that could be any one of three teams.

If the Columbus Blue Jackets defeat the Minnesota Wild tonight, then the Canucks will meet Columbus.

If Columbus loses and the Anaheim Ducks beat the Phoenix Coyotes tonight, the Canucks would then play the Ducks in Round 1.

If Columbus and Anaheim were both to lose tonight, then the St. Louis Blues could claim the No. 6 seed with a win Sunday against Colorado.

The Canucks got the start they wanted as they dominated the early minutes of the game. The shots were 15-1 in favour of Vancouver at the nine-minute mark of the first. But the Canucks could not beat Colorado goalie Peter Budaj, who faced a total of 19 Vancouver shots in the first.

The Avs managed just eight on Luongo, who made his best save late in the first on a Brian Willsie shot from the slot area.

No one could score in the second period, either, but the Avs had the better of the play

bziemer@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Source: The Vancouver Sun -- http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Canucks+Northwest+Division+title+earn+home+advantage+first+round+playoffs/1488467/story.html

Yume-sama
Apr 11, 2009, 10:00 PM
:notacrook: But the Canucks have only the Flames ineptitude to thank.

mr.x
Apr 11, 2009, 10:21 PM
The dilemma mr.x is currently facing regarding to his support for the Canucks:
http://emiliewood.com/photos/septembre2006/14-sept-wetdrill1.jpg

Yume-sama
Apr 11, 2009, 10:26 PM
The dilemma mr.x is currently facing regarding to his support for the Canucks:
http://emiliewood.com/photos/septembre2006/14-sept-wetdrill1.jpg

I don't understand :sly:

You can't swim? :frog:

mr.x
Apr 11, 2009, 10:37 PM
^ not sure if i wanna jump back into the action, but only to be let down...again. :D

Vancity
Apr 11, 2009, 11:10 PM
:previous: c'mon now! a fan isn't someone who simply supports their team when they're doing well and jumps off the ship when the team ain't doing so well. got to be realistic here. teams will fail and disappoint, but when they succeed and excel, as a fan, you can't but be glad and happy that things are going so well. let's cheer the 'nucks on. hey, nobody in the beginning of this year (let alone the start of the NHL season) thought that it was possible that we'd be in the playoffs to begin with, let alone win the Northwest division. props to AV, the team, and MG's subtle maneuvering. I think the Canucks will do well (regardless of the opponent), and move onto the second round. I say, whoever the team they're playing against - dispatched in 6 games.

Vancity
Apr 11, 2009, 11:11 PM
:notacrook: But the Canucks have only the Flames ineptitude to thank.

Yep. Can't imagine what's going through their minds. Not a good time to be second guessing the team at this point. In a way, I'm glad that we didn't trade for Oli Jokinen at the deadline, 'cause we have a pretty darn good team with the current group of players on the team.

Here's hoping to a long, long playoff run (that ends with a CUP being brought to VANCOUVER!)

Vancity
Apr 11, 2009, 11:13 PM
Source: The Vancouver Sun -- http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Canucks+Northwest+Division+title+earn+home+advantage+first+round+playoffs/1488467/story.html

I think we'll be facing the Jackets. I can't see them letting down, and wanting to face Detroit or San Jose in the first round. I think they'll take their chances with Vancouver, than those top two powerhouses.

mr.x
Apr 11, 2009, 11:29 PM
:previous: c'mon now! a fan isn't someone who simply supports their team when they're doing well and jumps off the ship when the team ain't doing so well. got to be realistic here. teams will fail and disappoint, but when they succeed and excel, as a fan, you can't but be glad and happy that things are going so well. let's cheer the 'nucks on. hey, nobody in the beginning of this year (let alone the start of the NHL season) thought that it was possible that we'd be in the playoffs to begin with, let alone win the Northwest division. props to AV, the team, and MG's subtle maneuvering. I think the Canucks will do well (regardless of the opponent), and move onto the second round. I say, whoever the team they're playing against - dispatched in 6 games.

lol, well actually my interest in hockey began to decline during the lockout....and considering that i haven't paid attention to the world of hockey for years, a lot of names in the team seem foreign to me.

CoryHolmes
Apr 11, 2009, 11:55 PM
a lot of names in the team seem foreign to me.

... uh, possibly because they are foreign? :P

Seriously, the Canucks are the only professional team in any professional sport I follow, and that's only because of being a dyed-in-the-wool BC boy. Other than that, I'd rather play the sports than watch the sports.

GeeCee
Apr 11, 2009, 11:59 PM
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9438/bandwagonn.jpg

Everybody get on!! This means you, Mr. x. :)

Kodii
Apr 12, 2009, 12:07 AM
Oddly enough, my greatest interest in hockey occurred at the start of this school year, when I had the time and ability to follow the Canucks at UBC much more religiously than I had been able to at home.

mr.x
Apr 12, 2009, 12:42 AM
... uh, possibly because they are foreign? :P

Seriously, the Canucks are the only professional team in any professional sport I follow, and that's only because of being a dyed-in-the-wool BC boy. Other than that, I'd rather play the sports than watch the sports.

lol, not 'foreign' as in non-Canadian but non-Canuck. My interest in hockey started and peaked during high school; I "grew up" with Morrison, Ohlund, Nazzy, Bert, Jovo, and I miss making Cloutier jokes! :haha: The whole West Coast Express! It just ain't the same. And me and my friends way back then even made one of the most popular Canucks fan sites out there!

With all that said, I absolutely love Luongo!

Kodii
Apr 12, 2009, 2:10 AM
Columbus lost their final game.

Anaheim is currently tied against Phoenix. If Anaheim wins, we'll be facing them. If they gain a single point or lose, then we could potentially face St. Louis in the first round.

Hong Kongese
Apr 12, 2009, 5:26 AM
Whatever team we'll meet in the first round, it wouldn't be an easy series.

Kodii
Apr 12, 2009, 6:24 AM
Anaheim lost too. Now its up to St. Louis. If they win, we play them. If they lose we play Columbus.

ckkelley
Apr 12, 2009, 10:05 PM
I doesn't matter. We (they) have to beat everyone!

Kodii
Apr 13, 2009, 2:06 AM
Exactly what a friend of mine said. Who cares who we're facing? We're gonna win the Stanley Cup :haha:

BTW, it's St. Louis.

Canucks to battle the Blues as first-round playoff opponent

By Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun April 12, 2009 6:29 PM

DENVER — It’s the Blues, not the Blue Jackets.

More than 24 hours after clinching the Northwest Division title, the Vancouver Canucks finally learned who their first-round playoff opponent will be late Sunday afternoon.

The St. Louis Blues are, along with the Canucks, one of the hottest teams in the NHL. They beat the Colorado Avalanche 1-0 here Sunday to jump past Columbus and into sixth spot in the Western Conference.

The Canucks and Blues begin their best-of-seven series Wednesday night at General Motors Place and it figures to be an interesting one.

The teams split their four meetings this season. The Canucks won by scores of 6-4 on Feb. 10 in St. Louis and 3-0 at home on March 19. The Blues won 6-4 in Vancouver on Jan. 9 and 4-2 at home on March 26. The Blues outshot the Canucks 126-96 in those four games, but were outscored 15-14.

The Canucks have compiled a record of 23-7-2 since Feb. 1, while the Blues have gone 20-7-6.

Canuck coach Alain Vigneault has tremendous respect for the job Blues’ coach Andy Murray has done with his team this season.

“In my mind, that is probably the best coaching job of the year with all the injuries that they have had,” Vigneault said of the Blues. “To stay in the hunt and at the end when they needed a huge push to get that push and the improvement of their young players, it’s just a phenomenal season for them.”

The Canucks clinched the Northwest Division title Saturday afternoon with a 1-0 overtime win over Colorado as goalie Roberto Luongo recorded his second straight shutout.

Henrik Sedin got the winner 40 seconds into overtime when his attempted pass hit the skate of Colorado defenceman Scott Hannan and bounced past Avs’ goalie Peter Budaj. Vancouver had actually clinched the title simply by getting the game into overtime.

The Canucks are a confident bunch and feel like they are poised to make a run in the post-season.

“Going into the playoffs, there’s a couple of things you need to have,” Vigneault said. “Health is one and we’re healthy. Goaltending is another one and we’re getting great goaltending and our team is playing well. When you’ve got those elements you can feel really confident about your game and I think we do right now.”

The Canucks finished the season with two straight 1-0 wins, so they obviously feel like they have their offensive game in order.

But Henrik Sedin said it’s important that the Canucks not fall completely into a defensive shell.

“You don’t have to sacrifice your offensive game to play good defensively and maybe we’ve done that a little bit,” he said. “But it was nice to see Louie get the shutouts. We played better defensively. It’s something to build on, but maybe we can go from there and create a little more offensively, too.”

The Canucks were understandably proud of their division win, their second Northwest title in the last three years. Back in late January, they were 14 points back of the Calgary Flames and their season seemed to be spiralling out of control.

“If you look back at where we were in January, we battled hard to come back to where we are today and it’s nice to get rewarded for our efforts,” Luongo said.

The Canucks started the season with the simple goal of making the playoffs. When they clinched a spot, they set their sights on the division title. Now that has been accomplished, the Canucks have the same goal as the other 16 teams who begin the second season later this week. They want to make a run at the Stanley Cup.

“Getting into the playoffs is a lot more challenging than people think,” Vigneault said. “There’s lot of good teams that don’t get in for different reasons. . .we found a way to claw ourselves back and we’re in pretty good form right now. It’s a great opportunity, so you might as well jump on the opportunity when it’s there.”

Centre Mats Sundin thinks having home-ice advantage in the first round will help.

“I think home ice is important,” Sundin said. “I have played in many playoffs and if you start on the road right from the first round, it’s pretty tough.”

bziemer@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Source: The Vancouver Sun -- http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Canucks+battle+Blues+first+round+playoff+opponent/1490157/story.html

Vancity
Apr 13, 2009, 4:50 AM
St. Louis will not be an easy team to beat. I thought we were going to face Columbus - but they're coming into the postseason floundering, and St. Louis is doing pretty well. This is going to be a tough series (having experience should give us an advantage, though) - probably will go to 6 or 7 games. I can't see a sweep, and I certainly can't see St. Louis rolling over in 5 games. It's going to be a dogfight come Wednesday. If we can win the first two games, that'll put some pressure on the Blues to win at home, and if we can steal one on their home ice, boy, that'd be HUUUGE!

anyways. GO CANUCKS GOOO! Can't wait until game day (Wed). Hope all of you guys will be watchin' the game. I know my girlfriend and I will :yes:

Kodii
Apr 16, 2009, 12:21 AM
Game One is on tonight (7:00 on CBC).

Schedule:

Wednesday, April 15 at Vancouver, 7:00 p.m. on CBC
Friday, April 17 at Vancouver, 7:00 p.m. on CBC
Sunday, April 19 at St. Louis, 4:00 p.m. on CBC
Tuesday, April 21 at St. Louis, 5:00 p.m. on CBC
*Friday, April 24 at Vancouver, 7:00 p.m. on CBC
*Sunday, April 26 at St. Louis, 5:00 p.m. on CBC
*Tuesday, April 28 at Vancouver, TBD on CBC

mr.x
Apr 16, 2009, 12:46 AM
bah...exams, procrastination, and hockey games on the eve of an exam simply don't mix.

Kodii
Apr 16, 2009, 4:37 AM
:previous: When did your 2 disappear?

PS: Canucks won Game One (2-1)

SFUVancouver
Apr 16, 2009, 4:49 AM
^ Good to hear!

LeftCoaster
Apr 16, 2009, 6:01 AM
:cheers:

LotusLand
Apr 16, 2009, 6:08 AM
Robson street must have been nuts! Was just watching the news and Abby folks work driving up and down streets honking and cheering. A deep playoff run is just what this city needs to lift its spirits! Go 'Nucks :cheers:

Vancity
Apr 16, 2009, 7:48 AM
Got to see the game tonight. The Blues look like a very dangerous team. Game 2 will be tougher, but I still think the Canucks will prevail! I still say Canucks in 6 games =)

Yume-sama
Apr 16, 2009, 7:50 AM
Possibly the most boring NHL game I have ever seen. :haha:

I don't know if it was all of the penalties or what, but, wowwwww! Seemed like everyone was relieved it was over.

It was like a bad movie where the hero still ends up coming through in the end, so at least you feel good about that.

metroXpress
Apr 16, 2009, 3:27 PM
I watched it last night....it was a good game :cheers:

The Blues look like a very dangerous team.
They were quite physical.

Vancity
Apr 21, 2009, 6:59 PM
I predicted the Canucks would prevail in 6 games. It looks like they are either going to sweep the series tonight (hopefully), or it will go back to Vancouver and go 5 games. My prediction may have been off, but I would prefer the Canucks to finish the series off tonight (in 4 games), rather than allow Paul Kariya to rest, and find the possibility of him playing in game 5.

GO CANUCKS GO!

NetMapel
Apr 21, 2009, 7:05 PM
Blues are playing a very very physical game right now and I really hope none of our players end up injured. Seriously, in the Blues' minds, if they don't feel like they're gonna win, they got nothing to lose. They'll go all out physical and that might really cost us the second series.

Vancity
Apr 21, 2009, 7:27 PM
Blues are playing a very very physical game right now and I really hope none of our players end up injured. Seriously, in the Blues' minds, if they don't feel like they're gonna win, they got nothing to lose. They'll go all out physical and that might really cost us the second series.

I think the Canucks will and can answer the bell to the physicality of the Blues. Besides, I think the refs will come in and stop all the unnecessary scraps, punches, cross-checks, etc. Injuries are a part of the game, but if the Canucks can win tonight (Game 4), then they'll have a week to rest any injury they may be currently nursing. It'll give them time to heal up and be ready to play against their 2nd round opponent. I think they can win tonight, but if not, then they'll definitely win Game 5.

Canucks have got players who don't back down from the rough stuff too: Bieksa, Mitchell, Ohlund, Rypien, Johnson, Bernier, Hordichuk, you could probably even add the Sedins to that mix too.

I don't understand why people always view european hockey players as being "soft" - they have a more skilled and finesse game, but that doesn't mean that they are not physical in their play. the Sedins are strong, physical players - they've been knocked around in this series, but they keep on getting up, and in fact, are physical against the Blues too.

NetMapel
Apr 21, 2009, 8:55 PM
Hey I'm not saying they're not tough or whatever. I'm just saying if they get injured like a sprained ankle or something, that player will have to sit out for however long it takes to get healthy again. My point is that it is possible for the other team to play more aggressively that could ultimately cause our players to have unwarranted injuries. Right now, we are the ones looking to stay healthy for the second series, not them.

Kodii
Apr 21, 2009, 9:19 PM
It's gonna get real physical, but thats what the playoffs are about. Chicago was targeting Iginla in yesterday's game and it got pretty ugly by the end.

Vancity
Apr 21, 2009, 9:42 PM
Hey I'm not saying they're not tough or whatever. I'm just saying if they get injured like a sprained ankle or something, that player will have to sit out for however long it takes to get healthy again. My point is that it is possible for the other team to play more aggressively that could ultimately cause our players to have unwarranted injuries. Right now, we are the ones looking to stay healthy for the second series, not them.

Hey NetMapel. I wasn't saying you were saying the Canucks weren't tough. I was just thinking out loud in how so many people (I've heard on radio, other Canuck boards, etc) have a tendency to think that European players are soft, and that they can't bring their game to the next level, etc, etc. I wasn't accusing you. My apologies if it came across that way. Was definitely not my intention.

Vancity
Apr 21, 2009, 9:43 PM
It's gonna get real physical, but thats what the playoffs are about. Chicago was targeting Iginla in yesterday's game and it got pretty ugly by the end.

Yeah...but Iginla can handle himself. If either of the Sedin fought Iginla - I'd take Jerome in a split second :D

Yume-sama
Apr 21, 2009, 11:04 PM
:whip: They just said on CBC the police in the Lower Mainland have been put on high alert.

WTF? Will there be mass riots if the Canucks win? :shrug:

LeftCoaster
Apr 21, 2009, 11:32 PM
^ You haven't lived here long have you?

Yume-sama
Apr 21, 2009, 11:33 PM
:sly: No... well, I've been here for one Canucks series win a couple of years ago. :haha:

Didn't get much sleep that night...

djmk
Apr 21, 2009, 11:37 PM
just heard..

salo and sundin are not playing today