Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Cre47
Jan 28, 2009, 10:03 PM
Upcoming notable concerts/shows in Ottawa

April 23: Fleetwood Mac - Scotiabank Place
May 2: Rihanna - Scotiabank Place
May 14: Motley Crue & Big Wreck - Scotiabank Place
June 4: New Kids on the Block, 98 Degrees, Boyz II Men - Scotiabank Place
June 14-15: Rancid, Lamb of God, Alice Cooper, The Offspring, Rise Against, Marilyn Manson, Deftones, Pennywise, Lagwagon and many more - Amnesia Rockfest in Montebello
June 26: Aretha Franklin - Confederation Park
June 29-30: Ferry Corsten, Rusko, Markus Schulz, Chus & Ceballos, Benny Benassi at more TBA - Escapade Music Festival - outdoors at the RA Centre
July 1: Tiesto - Escapade Music Festival - outdoors in the Byward Market
July 4: Black Keys, Grand Funk Railroad, The Cat Empire, Jimmy Eat World - Bluesfest
July 5: Flogging Molly, Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters - Bluesfest
July 6: Dixie Chicks, Zeds Dead - Bluesfest
July 7: The Joy Formidable, Tegan and Sara, Fun., Wu-Tang Clan, Everlast - Bluesfest
July 7: Paul McCartney - Scotiabank Place
July 8: Mother Mother, RUSH - Bluesfest
July 10: Marianas Trench, Weezer, Animal Collective - Bluesfest
July 11: The Tragically Hip - Bluesfest
July 12: Matthew Good, Great Big Sea - Bluesfest
July 13: Bjork - Bluesfest
July 13: H.O.P.E. Volleyball Summerfest - lineup TBA - Mooney's Bay
July 14: Yukon Blonde, Alice in Chains, B.B. King, Serena Ryder - Bluesfest
July 15: The Eagles - Scotiabank Place
September 5-8: Ottawa Folk Festival - lineup TBA - Hog's Back Park
July 23: Justin Bieber - Scotiabank Place
July 25: KISS & Shinedown - Scotiabank Place
August 22: Selena Gomez - Scotiabank Place
Aug 30-Sep 2: Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival - lineup TBA - parc de la Baie
Sep 4-8: Festival Outaouais Émergent - lineup TBA - outdoors downtown Hull
September 14: Sarah Brightman - Scotiabank Place

Monster music summer for Ottawa?
Elton John-Billy Joel among major shows to be announced

By DENIS ARMSTRONG, Sun Media

Ottawa could be on the brink of one of its biggest summers of music in recent memory.

Promoter Live Nation is expected to join with Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien and others on Monday to announce at least one, and likely several, major acts coming to the city in June, July and August. What's known for sure is that they will announce that superstars Elton John and Billy Joel will play Scotiabank Place on June 1.

Normally, concert promoters don't use the city's mayor and other celebrities to make concert announcements. Which means that Live Nation believes it might have even bigger fish to fry for Ottawa.

By Monday the promoter hopes to have confirmed dates for rock legends AC/DC, Canadian rockers Nickelback and the Jonas Brothers, the latter for Scotiabank Place in August.

Also rumoured to be in the works are major concert events by Bruce Springsteen, U2 and a two-day Virgin Festival, possibly later this summer.

The Virgin Festival is a North American spin-off of Britain's V Festival. Virgin chairman Richard Branson, who announced the inaugural Canadian show in Toronto in 2006, was in Ottawa Tuesday for the promotional launch of Virgin Radio, the rock station formerly known as The Bear 106.9.

highdensitysprawl
Jan 28, 2009, 10:19 PM
Promoter Live Nation is expected to join with Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien and others on Monday to announce at least one, and likely several, major acts coming to the city in June, July and August. What's known for sure is that they will announce that superstars Elton John and Billy Joel will play Scotiabank Place on June 1.

Normally, concert promoters don't use the city's mayor and other celebrities to make concert announcements.

By Monday the promoter hopes to have confirmed dates for rock legends AC/DC, Canadian rockers Nickelback and the Jonas Brothers, the latter for Scotiabank Place in August.

Also rumoured to be in the works are major concert events by Bruce Springsteen, U2 and a two-day Virgin Festival, possibly later this summer.

Elton John and Billy Joel don't excite me at all....ditto for AC/DC and Nickelcrud....is this the best we can do....at why is O'Brien promoting this.....

RoughRider
Jan 28, 2009, 11:27 PM
Fo Real. Bring back Snoop!

jchamoun79
Jan 29, 2009, 12:51 AM
....is this the best we can do...

I don't think you realize just how big these events would be for the city.

Holding a two-day Virgin Festival, along with the existing Bluesfest, would put Ottawa in the top tier of live music cities in North America. And those acts mentioned in the article are the top touring acts in the world right now. Even if you're not a fan, I don't see how them performing in Ottawa could be anything but good news for the city.

I, myself, am more of an indie music fan, but I welcome any concert announcements that raise the profile of the city as a live music venue.

highdensitysprawl
Jan 29, 2009, 1:17 AM
I don't think you realize just how big these events would be for the city.

Holding a two-day Virgin Festival, along with the existing Bluesfest, would put Ottawa in the top tier of live music cities in North America. And those acts mentioned in the article are the top touring acts in the world right now. Even if you're not a fan, I don't see how them performing in Ottawa could be anything but good news for the city.

I, myself, am more of an indie music fan, but I welcome any concert announcements that raise the profile of the city as a live music venue.

They may be big, but Elton and Billy Joel just leave me cold....ditto for Nickelback and AC/DC...however, if they bring in tourism dollars and people want to go see them, good luck to them.

Still not sure where O'Brien fits into all of this.

Mille Sabords
Jan 29, 2009, 2:38 AM
AC/DC is the only one I'd buy tickets for. Elton John, Nickelback and Billy Joel, I have no interest in seeing, but I see how those will be good concerts for the city to host. :tup:

Black Ice, AC/DC's new album, rocks!!

highdensitysprawl
Jan 29, 2009, 5:06 AM
AC/DC is the only one I'd buy tickets for. Elton John, Nickelback and Billy Joel, I have no interest in seeing, but I see how those will be good concerts for the city to host. :tup:

Black Ice, AC/DC's new album, rocks!!

You are preaching to the unconverted here but how is the new AC/DC album different from Back in Black, Flick of the switch etc...I've heard one song and to me it sounded like an outake of Back in Black...

AC/DC to me are a cartoon band, akin to the Rolling Stones since about 1971...churning out the same stuff over and over again, a la Status Quo.

Aylmer
Jan 29, 2009, 11:54 AM
Jonas Brothers?

*shudder*

:rolleyes:

YOWflier
Jan 29, 2009, 2:00 PM
Too bad they're in Europe most/all of the summer, otherwise I'd suggest the powers that be go after Metallica for a massive outdoor concert. I would pay a lot of money to attend that.

Mille Sabords
Jan 29, 2009, 2:22 PM
You are preaching to the unconverted here but how is the new AC/DC album different from Back in Black, Flick of the switch etc...I've heard one song and to me it sounded like an outake of Back in Black...

AC/DC to me are a cartoon band, akin to the Rolling Stones since about 1971...churning out the same stuff over and over again, a la Status Quo.

Well, if you're a fan you tend to be more generous toward them. I got a vinyl copy of Back In Black for my 12th birthday and still have it. I do say the same about the Rolling Stones, so I hear you. Back in Black, For Those About To Rock, Flick of the Switch, all those are a pleasure to listen to. Black Ice is right up there in my book as one of their good ones.

There is also Airbourne, who sound a lot like them and have played here a couple of times, they have their own material (not a cover band at all) and they sound really good. It's good party rock.

This aside, another band I'd really love to see is Gov't Mule - they would be a perfect BluesFest show.

highdensitysprawl
Jan 29, 2009, 9:10 PM
Well, if you're a fan you tend to be more generous toward them.

Mille...I moved to Agincourt (Toronto) when I was in High School from the UK and my high school was full of 'stoners' who were into AC/DC, Sabbath, Priest, and other such rivethead bands....Zeppelin and Yes are as close as I get to that kind of stuff.

In terms of being generous I can put up with indulgences and dabblings that most people don't appreciate of:

Roxy Music, Brian Eno, Genesis (pre Gabriel leaving), Bob Dylan, Laughin' Lennie, Joni Mitchell, Fairport Convention, Madness, Miles Davis, Dave Bruebeck, Pulp, Stone Roses etc.

Mordack
Jan 30, 2009, 10:44 PM
Too bad they're in Europe most/all of the summer, otherwise I'd suggest the powers that be go after Metallica for a massive outdoor concert. I would pay a lot of money to attend that.

YES. Metallica and more metal bands in general please. Ottawa always seems to get skipped over.

YOWflier
Jan 31, 2009, 2:24 AM
Metallica almost always comes to Ottawa when they do extensive arena tours (such as after an album release ... which they had a few months ago). I expect them to be here next fall/winter. I just wish we could have them in the summer for a massive outdoor gig ... picturing 10s of thousands in attendance. That would be so sweet.

I also hope to some day see Dream Theater do an Ottawa gig. Those guys are incredible.

Mille Sabords
Jan 31, 2009, 2:43 AM
Mille...I moved to Agincourt (Toronto) when I was in High School from the UK and my high school was full of 'stoners' who were into AC/DC, Sabbath, Priest, and other such rivethead bands....Zeppelin and Yes are as close as I get to that kind of stuff.

In terms of being generous I can put up with indulgences and dabblings that most people don't appreciate of:

Roxy Music, Brian Eno, Genesis (pre Gabriel leaving), Bob Dylan, Laughin' Lennie, Joni Mitchell, Fairport Convention, Madness, Miles Davis, Dave Bruebeck, Pulp, Stone Roses etc.

My high school years are full of memories of amny of those. Definitely Yes (I saw them here 5 years ago, great show) - Genesis, Roxy Music definitely, and Miles Davis any day. :tup: :tup: My high school was half stoners and half brainy nerdy kids like me... except I never kept myself boxed into one group. I had stoner moments of my own with the music to go with it. :D

p_xavier
Jan 31, 2009, 1:46 PM
Wow, I guess I'm the only one who's into big breasted Swedish singers.

highdensitysprawl
Feb 2, 2009, 12:23 AM
Wow, I guess I'm the only one who's into big breasted Swedish singers.

Who, ABBA or Ace of Base.?

p_xavier
Feb 3, 2009, 2:05 AM
Who, ABBA or Ace of Base.?

Lena Philipsson of course, though not all of you are into MILFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59jcoymbI1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeIrYiO-LnY

I've always been a fan of Tess Merkel from Alcazar, she looks slutty into all her vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_FF3S77xxg

Norman Bates
Feb 3, 2009, 2:47 AM
Lena Philipsson of course, though not all of you are into MILFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59jcoymbI1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeIrYiO-LnY

I've always been a fan of Tess Merkel from Alcazar, she looks slutty into all her vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_FF3S77xxgHmmn, perhaps you meant to post these in the thread about closed down strip clubs.

BTW this just in from Russia with Love.

http://chickencrap.com/c.php?c=2295

highdensitysprawl
Feb 3, 2009, 3:56 PM
Hmmn, perhaps you meant to post these in the thread about closed down strip clubs.

Good one...I was expecting at some point the DJ to shout out 'put your hands together and give a warm Playmate welcome to Mercedes'....

If you want gorgeous and singer then you can't go wrong with:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=DTy3WA0Pq8M&feature=PlayList&p=20E9DCB6EB47AE19&index=0&playnext=1

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ig3EjNlKP5M (warning...excessive alcohol consumption can make you sing like Shane McGowan)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xz07Hf5htfY (this one goes back to the early 80's....ahh,, CFNY memories)

Watching this video will make you get back to work....see how long you can stomach this dreck.....

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=r-vx4GcjASE

Radster
Feb 23, 2009, 8:40 PM
Virgin Music festival in Ottawa? Where would it be? Lebreton Flats? Any news on this?

As for all the other announcements, I would be more excited if these were scheduled for outdoor summer dates, and not indoors in an arena far from the city in Kanata, I hate going to concerts there.

harls
Feb 23, 2009, 9:03 PM
will Richard Branson be parachuting in, I wonder?

Cre47
Mar 11, 2009, 4:57 PM
Jonas Brothers?

*shudder*

:rolleyes:

August 31st looks like. Wondering if the popularity will be big here in Ottawa, though probably not going to be a madhouse like in the States or at MuchMusic.

harls
Mar 12, 2009, 2:54 PM
Heard Bryan Adams is coming to the NAC on Aug. 12.

Not that I'm a fan.

highdensitysprawl
Mar 13, 2009, 12:49 AM
Heard Bryan Adams is coming to the NAC on Aug. 12.

Not that I'm a fan.

Tickets start at something like $79 (plus service charge(s))..that is outrageous. To me he is derivative 'cottage rock' at its best/worst. That theme song from Robin Hood was particularly atrocious.

harls
Mar 13, 2009, 12:47 PM
Just as good as Kevin Costner's olde English.

highdensitysprawl
Mar 13, 2009, 6:58 PM
Just as good as Kevin Costner's olde English.

I never saw the movie...was it as good an english accent as Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

harls
Mar 13, 2009, 7:14 PM
They decided to forgo the accent all together.. it was that good! :D

harls
Mar 26, 2009, 8:28 PM
http://www.ottawasun.com/Showbiz/Music/2009/03/26/8897296.html

Metallica to rock Scotiabank

By DENIS ARMSTRONG, Sun Media

According to their website, Metallica.com, the monsters of American metal will play Scotiabank Place on Oct. 29.

It's the band's first visit to the capital in five years.

Tickets will go on sale April 4, the same day the veteran band will be inducted into Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Metallica's 2008 release "Death Magnetic" is up for a Juno this weekend for Best International Album.

YOWflier
Mar 26, 2009, 11:06 PM
F yeah.

Mille Sabords
Mar 27, 2009, 1:09 AM
:thrasher: :drummer: :rock:

waterloowarrior
Apr 13, 2009, 8:56 PM
Aerosmith/ZZ Top
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Aerosmith+returns+Ottawa/1492319/story.html

waterloowarrior
Apr 22, 2009, 10:31 AM
Rockin’ the Blues

Classic rock will share festival stage with crooners, rappers and, of course, the blues

BY LYNN SAXBERG , THE OTTAWA CITIZENAPRIL 22, 2009 6:24 AM

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/rockin+blues/1519699/1519706.bin

Ottawa - Get those vacation requests in to your supervisors, people, and make sure you block off a couple of weeks in July. No camping trips, no family reunions. Bluesfest is back to take over the grounds of the Canadian War Museum.

You will require a full 12 days away from your job this summer to absorb the massive injection of live music that is to be delivered at Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest July 8 to 19. Seventies hard-rockers Kiss, Canadian crooner k.d. lang, rap superstar Ludacris and funky soulman Ben Harper are among more than 200 artists headed to this year’s festival. The preliminary lineup is being announced today.

Also part of the 16th annual edition of Bluesfest are Rock and Roll Hall of Famers Jackson Browne, Jeff Beck and former Rolling Stone Mick Taylor. Gravel-voiced Brit Joe Cocker will perform, as will Brian Setzer, the former Stray Cat now swingin’ with his own jump-blues band.

For rock fans, Stone Temple Pilots, Our Lady Peace, Live, Cake and Styx will pound it out, while festival stalwarts Blue Rodeo and Sam Roberts will help prop up the Canadian content.

Close to 60 Ottawa-area acts, including Amanda Rheaume, Lindsay Ferguson and MonkeyJunk, are also confirmed.

There’s worldbeat, indie rock, reggae, country, folk, rap and, hey, a generous amount of blues, including Chicago legend Hubert Sumlin, electric blues-rockers Los Lonely Boys, Doyle Bramhall, acoustic master Chris Smithers, the teen sensations Homemade Jamz Band and the veterans Roomful of Blues.

With six stages in operation, the complete list of artists barely fits on a page. The talent budget has swollen to almost $4 million and two important new sponsors, Subway and the HardRock Café, have climbed on board.

Looking at the schedule, there’s little sign of recessionary spending. Organizers are betting the economy won’t affect the habits of festivalgoers. Their crowd surveys show that most people who go to the festival live in the region, come back every year and attend multiple concerts.

“Our approach to programming wasn’t dramatically different,” said Bluesfest co-founder and executive director Mark Monahan. “We didn’t react, because about 80 per cent of our crowd is local, and if you look at the micro aspect of this whole (economic) thing, Ottawa has been affected but not to the extent of other communities.

“One idea would have been to pull back and not take as many gambles, but we’ve never really done that before,” said Monahan, laughing. “So my idea has been that this is what makes the festival: the artistic programming and the artistic budget. We had a reasonably good year last year, and more sponsorships so let’s put the money into programming. That’s what really drives the event.”

Though it runs later into July than usual, due to the quirky 2009 calendar, Bluesfest actually starts on a Wednesday instead of Thursday this year. It begins July 8 with a mainstage performance by Jeff Beck, the legendary blues-rock/jazz-fusion guitarist.

Thursday, July 9 brings the long-awaited return of Ben Harper, the funky and soulful musical activist who dazzled the Bluesfest troops back at Ottawa City Hall in 2003. He’s on the Bank of America stage, while Canadian songbird k. d. lang will play the Rogers stage that night.

Browne is sure to include the hit song Running on Empty in his mainstage show on Friday, July 10. A full day of programming on July 11 will be topped off by a a Saturday night dance party with the Brian Setzer Orchestra.

Cocker wraps up the first weekend on the mainstage on July 12. Monday, July 13 brings Stone Temple Pilots, and Tuesday features Our Lady Peace and Xavier Rudd.

Kiss will blast their sound out of the park on Wednesday, July 15, and the classic rock band Styx rolls in on Thursday, July 16.

Blue Rodeo returns on Friday,

July 17, but there are still open slots on the mainstage for the final weekend, July 17 and 18. They will be filled soon, Monahan says.

One new feature of this year’s festival is the first concert in LeBreton Gallery, the glassed-in area of the war museum where the tanks are displayed. Set up as a 1,000-capacity venue, jazz saxman Ornette Coleman performs there July 11.

Bluesfest

Festival tickets go on sale Saturday through Capitaltickets.ca.

Day passes start at $35.

Full passports start $225 for 12 transferable tickets, one for each day of the festival.

(The non-transferable wristbands are no longer available.)

harls
Apr 22, 2009, 12:36 PM
I've got the 'insider' newsletter and can get a pass for $195, if anyone wants the info let me know..

waterloowarrior
Apr 22, 2009, 7:15 PM
M83 and Iron & Wine will also be there

Ottawade
Apr 23, 2009, 12:52 PM
I thought the lineup was a bit of a snoozer, but I will definitely go see M83!

highdensitysprawl
Apr 23, 2009, 7:50 PM
I thought the lineup was a bit of a snoozer, but I will definitely go see M83!

Was I correct in seeing that the Alan Parsons Project are coming..you better brace yourselves Ottawa Blues Fest and bring on extra security for the mass pandemonium that a concert like that will create...what next, Yanni, James Last, Supertramp (on 2nd thought, being Ottawa that would be a sellout in seconds, with CHEZ plugging that on every 'listener super set'.)

harls
Apr 23, 2009, 8:11 PM
Talk about keeping dead careers alive (Alan Parsons).

Neko Case is fun.

Cre47
Apr 24, 2009, 1:00 AM
Green Day is shown on July 17th but with a TBA for the venue according to Pollstar. I doubt it is for the Bluesfest, but who knows, maybe a late addition?

waterloowarrior
Apr 29, 2009, 5:19 PM
Bachman, Cummings to play Ottawa

THE OTTAWA CITIZENAPRIL 29, 2009 1:05 PM

OTTAWA — Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings are returning to Ottawa, says their website.

The Canadian music icons will play Southam Hall at the National Arts Centre Aug. 10. They'll also play the K-Rock Centre in Kingston on Aug. 8, says the website, bachmancummings.com.

Bachman and Cummings first gained fame as the heart and soul of the Guess Who, the hugely successful Canadian band of the 1960s and 1970s. The band put Canada on the international rock and roll map with songs such as These Eyes, No Time and American Woman. Each musician survived the end of the Guess Who, with Cummings off to a successful solo career and Bachman finding even more international success with Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

Tickets go on sale to the general public through ticketmaster.ca at 10 a.m. Monday. Ticket prices were not yet available.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

highdensitysprawl
Apr 29, 2009, 5:55 PM
Bachman, Cummings to play Ottawa

THE OTTAWA CITIZENAPRIL 29, 2009 1:05 PM

OTTAWA — Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings are returning to Ottawa, says their website.

The Canadian music icons will play Southam Hall at the National Arts Centre Aug. 10. They'll also play the K-Rock Centre in Kingston on Aug. 8, says the website, bachmancummings.com.

Bachman and Cummings first gained fame as the heart and soul of the Guess Who, the hugely successful Canadian band of the 1960s and 1970s. The band put Canada on the international rock and roll map with songs such as These Eyes, No Time and American Woman. Each musician survived the end of the Guess Who, with Cummings off to a successful solo career and Bachman finding even more international success with Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

Tickets go on sale to the general public through ticketmaster.ca at 10 a.m. Monday. Ticket prices were not yet available.

Sorry Waterloo Warrior but are we supposed to get excited about this...you know there is something tragic when these dinosaurs don't know when to stop and just endlessly tour churning out the hits of yesteryear to an audience with little interest in anything new or interesting. Oh wait, those people have a whole radio station devoted to this kind of music...located between 105.3 and 106.9.

waterloowarrior
Apr 29, 2009, 6:01 PM
Sorry Waterloo Warrior but are we supposed to get excited about this...you know there is something tragic when these dinosaurs don't know when to stop and just endlessly tour churning out the hits of yesteryear to an audience with little interest in anything new or interesting. Oh wait, those people have a whole radio station devoted to this kind of music...located between 105.3 and 106.9.

I think that's an unfair criticism of CHEZ... although they are primarily a classic rock station, I've heard them play Nickleback sometimes ;)

highdensitysprawl
Apr 29, 2009, 6:08 PM
I think that's an unfair criticism of CHEZ... although they are primarily a classic rock station, I've heard them play Nickleback sometimes ;)

Good one....believe it or not I've even heard them play Supertramp...:jester:

harls
Apr 29, 2009, 6:17 PM
This summer will not be perfect until Kim Mitchell, Streetheart, Loverboy and Trooper announce concert dates.

waterloowarrior
Apr 29, 2009, 6:26 PM
This summer will not be perfect until Kim Mitchell, Streetheart, Loverboy and Trooper announce concert dates.

Good news: Trooper will be playing at the Carp Fair this September. Kim Mitchell will also be playing at a couple of fairs.

highdensitysprawl
Apr 29, 2009, 6:28 PM

How about all 4 plus REO and Styx.....time for all us to grow a mullet (preferable with a centre hair part), put on our best doeskin/Kenora dinner jacket and the look will be complete.

harls
Apr 29, 2009, 6:38 PM
Good news: Trooper will be playing at the Carp Fair this September. Kim Mitchell will also be playing at a couple of fairs.

:laugh: I knew it! 2 outta 4 ain't bad. :D

highdensitysprawl
Apr 29, 2009, 6:43 PM
:laugh: I knew it! 2 outta 4 ain't bad. :D

On June 6th they'll be in Ottawa doing a private corporate gig....wonder which lucky folks get that gig

http://www.trooper.ca/default.php?cat=tourdates&subcat=none

harls
Apr 29, 2009, 6:46 PM
Those tickets must be the most sought-after items in town. I'm sure Michael O'Byrne will be trying to hawk them to callers 1 thru 100 on CTV news at noon the day before.

Cre47
Apr 29, 2009, 7:32 PM
So far what we will have for the rest of the year (just the more known names) just to update

The list will be posted at the start of the thread as well

May 2: Il Divo - Scotiabank Place
May 2-3: Diana Krall - National Arts Centre Southam Hall
May 13: K-OS - Lansdowne Park: Ottawa Civic Centre
May 21: Katie Melua - Bronson Centre
May 25-26: Leonard Cohen - National Arts Centre
June 1: Billy Joel & Elton John - Scotiabank Place
June 2: Disturbed - Scotiabank Place
June 9: Eva Avila - Maison de la Culture (Gatineau)
July 1: Loverboy - Walter Baker Park (Kanata)
July 9: k.d. lang - Lebreton Flats Park
July 11: Divine Brown - Lebreton Flats Park
July 13: Stone Temple Pilots - Lebreton Flats Park
July 14: Our Lady Peace - Lebreton Flats Park
July 15: KISS - Lebreton Flats Park
July 16: Live & Styx - Lebreton Flats Park
July 17: Green Day - Scotiabank Place
July 17: Blue Rodeo & Cake - Lebreton Flats Park
July 18: Ludacris - Lebreton Flats Park
August 10: Bachman - Cummings - National Arts Centre Southam Hall
August 12: Bryan Adams - National Arts Centre
August 19: Kenny Chesney - Scotiabank Place
August 31: Jonas Brothers & Jordin Sparks - Scotiabank Place
September 5: Aerosmith & ZZ Top - Scotiabank Place
September 5: Kenny Rogers - Parc De La Baie (Gatineau)
September 26, 27 & 28 The Tragically Hip - National Arts Centre Southam Hall
October 29: Metallica - Scotiabank Place

waterloowarrior
May 5, 2009, 9:56 PM
Bluesfest adds Jack White, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Ice Cube to lineup

BY LYNN SAXBERG, THE OTTAWA CITIZENMAY 5, 2009 4:50 PMBE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

Jack White will bring his new band Dead Weather to the festival on July 19
Photograph by: Ashley Fraser, The Ottawa Citizen
OTTAWA - Rapper Ice Cube, indie rockers Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Jack White’s latest supergroup are among the acts added to the list of performers coming to Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest, organizers announced Tuesday.

They join a bill that already includes KISS, Jeff Beck, Joe Cocker, k.d. lang and many more, all slated to appear at this year’s edition of the summer music festival. It takes place July 8-19 at LeBreton Flats Park on the grounds of the
Canadian War Museum.

Ice Cube performs on July 14, while Jack White brings his new band, The Dead Weather, to the party on July 19 for a show on the Rogers stage. Yeah Yeah Yeahs play the Bank of America stage the same night.

Also confirmed is a return appearance by B.C.’s Black Mountain, performing on July 17.

Still to be announced is a headliner for the festival’s final Saturday night.

Executive director Mark Monahan said he hopes to confirm the final headliner within a week. "By the end of the week, if we're lucky," he said.

harls
May 5, 2009, 9:59 PM
I saw the White Stripes in 2007 at Bluesfest.. great show.

highdensitysprawl
May 6, 2009, 1:07 PM
July 1: Loverboy - Walter Baker Park (Kanata)
July 16: Styx - Lebreton Flats Park
August 12: Bryan Adams - National Arts Centre

Days to plan to be out of town.:yuck:

Radster
May 6, 2009, 5:04 PM
Bluesfest adds Jack White, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Ice Cube to lineup

BY LYNN SAXBERG, THE OTTAWA CITIZENMAY 5, 2009 4:50 PMBE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

Jack White will bring his new band Dead Weather to the festival on July 19
Photograph by: Ashley Fraser, The Ottawa Citizen
OTTAWA - Rapper Ice Cube, indie rockers Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Jack White’s latest supergroup are among the acts added to the list of performers coming to Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest, organizers announced Tuesday.

They join a bill that already includes KISS, Jeff Beck, Joe Cocker, k.d. lang and many more, all slated to appear at this year’s edition of the summer music festival. It takes place July 8-19 at LeBreton Flats Park on the grounds of the
Canadian War Museum.

Ice Cube performs on July 14, while Jack White brings his new band, The Dead Weather, to the party on July 19 for a show on the Rogers stage. Yeah Yeah Yeahs play the Bank of America stage the same night.

Also confirmed is a return appearance by B.C.’s Black Mountain, performing on July 17.

Still to be announced is a headliner for the festival’s final Saturday night.

Executive director Mark Monahan said he hopes to confirm the final headliner within a week. "By the end of the week, if we're lucky," he said.

Thats it? What about the lineup for July 13th? Won't there be anyone else performing that evening, or only STP? I was hoping we will see some more additions to that day, especially considering the day pass for the 13th is the 2nd priciest (priciest is for the day when KISS plays).
http://www.ottawabluesfest.ca/en/index.php?page=scheduled_days&day_req=1247457600

harls
May 6, 2009, 8:21 PM
Ice Cube? what is this, 1990..

p_xavier
May 7, 2009, 6:29 PM
Ice Cube? what is this, 1990..

Well with the rest of the performers, it fits really well. :haha:

Rathgrith
May 8, 2009, 2:25 PM
Maybe they forget to get Ice-T to perform?

Cre47
May 23, 2009, 3:22 AM
Updated the list with concerts from AC/DC on August 10 and Kings of Leon on September 17... both in Kanata.

YOWflier
Jun 16, 2009, 1:25 PM
For anyone who has tickets to the Metallica show later this year, this is an email sent out on the Metallica mailing list:

OTTAWA SHOW DATE RESCHEDULED

For all of our friends with tickets to the sold out show in Ottawa on October 29, we hope that date is on your calendar in pencil! We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but that show has changed dates and we will now be at Scotiabank Place five days later on November 3. Of course your tickets will be good then, and if you cannot join us on the new date, you may return your tickets to the place you purchased them for a full refund. And for your trouble, everyone who attends the show on November 3 will receive a voucher for a free MP3 download of the show that can be redeemed at www.livemetallica.com.

We're happy to report that it has nothing to do with oysters, but can only tell you right now that the date change is due to a scheduling conflict with a very cool event coming up around that time. We wanted to let you know about the new date in Ottawa ASAP, but we've been sworn to secrecy on all other fronts, so keep checking www.metallica.com. . . more details in mid to late July.

Nice of them to provide a few download of the show, a savings of $10-13 depending on the format.

I'm also very curious about the 'very cool event' they've been 'sworn to secrecy' about. Sounds Metallica-related ... and if it's in Ottawa I'm going.

YOWflier
Jun 17, 2009, 5:23 PM
For anyone into this sort of thing, and since we're maintaining a list ...

Britney Spears will perform at Scotiabank Place on Friday, August 21 at 8:00 pm.

AuxTown
Jun 18, 2009, 2:39 AM
:previous:

OH MY GOD!

I can't wait......for Britney Spears to realize that she can't sing worth shit! :yuck:

YOWflier
Jun 18, 2009, 1:01 PM
I'm sure she knows, and I'm sure most fans know too. Still, it won't stop >20000 fans from packing the bank. I predict sellout in less than 60 minutes.

p_xavier
Jun 18, 2009, 11:18 PM
:previous:

OH MY GOD!

I can't wait......for Britney Spears to realize that she can't sing worth shit! :yuck:

That's why she never sings in concert! :haha: It's lip-sync, most pop singers don't sing live.

Cre47
Jun 20, 2009, 12:47 AM
Is it Bluesfest or Rap-fest?

http://www.ottawasun.com/entertainment/music/2009/06/19/9864111.html

Cre47
Jul 10, 2009, 4:54 PM
Let the whining begins

And so begins the noise on noise

Sound is fury.

By Kelly Egan, The Ottawa CitizenJuly 10, 2009 9:27 AMComments (40)

Music fans roar their appreciation for Bluesfest 2009.

OTTAWA — The first night of Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest, from three kilometres due west, you could hear Jeff Beck clear as a bell — the crazy guitar, the wild applause — every sound, nearly, but the feet pattering across the stage.

With its five stages on LeBreton Flats, Bluesfest is destined to bleed sound across the inner city. But never has it been so closely monitored.

The City of Ottawa reports there were 10 noise complaints after the first night. In each case, a bylaw officer took decibel readings on the properties, but all fell between 50 and 58, below the acceptable outdoor level of 65 — itself an increase from the regular bylaw limit.

The officers also found the peak readings on the concert sites themselves never exceeded 90, a limit imposed this year that’s lower than before.

Nor are they the only check and balance. The National Capital Commission, which owns the property, has its own personnel on site, taking readings across the venues.

For the next 10 days, then, it is a city of big ears.

Not that we all hear the same notes, however. Some neighbours like it. Some hate it. Some do both over the course of the 12 days.

Like Robin McAndrew, who lives south and above the site on Lorne Avenue. She is a fan of Bluesfest and has patronized it often.

Egan: ‘You want to see, hear and feel the music’

Continued from page A1

On nights when she isn’t attending, she’d like her peace and tranquility, like anybody else.

“I’m actually thinking of moving out next year,” said McAndrew. “I’m trying to be a good neighbour, but I’m not sure there is a reciprocal willingness for them to be good neighbours.”

At its peak, the music can rattle windows and chase patio parties inside.

Julia Cipriani, also on Lorne, cut through the technical mumbo-jumbo about decibels and wavelengths and climatic conditions, with a simple question: “Why does it have to be so thunderingly loud?”

Indeed. So it was put to Mark Monahan, executive director of Bluesfest, who answered a question with a question.

“Why do kids turn up their iPods?” he asked. “When you go to a live music event, you don’t want to listen to the radio, you want to see, hear and feel the music. It’s all part of going to a concert.”

Monahan, the NCC and the city have had extensive discussions about how to mitigate the effects of sound travelling off-site. Numerous measurements have been taken, correlating the sound at stage level to the levels in neighbourhoods as distant as the Glebe.

“If it were possible, I would love to put a soundproof wall over the whole site, but that’s just not reality.”

Instead, this year, the festival has agreed to impose a 90-decibel limit at the sound boards with the hope that levels will not exceed 65 in neighbours’ yards.

So far, it’s working. Then again, KISS has yet to take the stage.

It is amazing the degree to which the sound will travel, perhaps because the five stages are pointed in different directions.

“Some days, I hear about someone sitting in Alta Vista who could hear, whatever, Jackson Browne, and another day, I get a call from guys at my golf club in Aylmer saying I missed my putt because I could hear your speakers,” said Monahan.

The NCC has also tried to soften the impact on the neighbours. It has, for instance, limited the number of “event nights,” when louder than normal music is permitted, to 20 in a year.

John Coulter is an acoustical engineer who has a consulting firm in Toronto, though he has worked in the Ottawa area.

Sound likes to travel in colder air, which helps explain its behaviour in the evenings, he explained.

About an hour after sunset, the ground has grown cooler than the air above it, a process known as “local inversion.” It is this phenomenon that gives us ground frost, for instance.

When sound is emitted under these conditions, it wants to stay in the cooler band. “It curls the sound,” said Coulter. “It skips over whatever is in between and comes down in your backyard.”

The presence of the Ottawa River may also be a factor, he said, because sound travels so well over water.

Wind is the other big factor, with sound travelling much better downwind.

“The biggest control,” said Coulter, “is the volume control, but a lot of these bands won’t play if they don’t get to make the noise they want.”

Bass is a particular problem, he added, because it is not directional, but tends to “ooze out in all directions.”

In his years working with large outdoor festivals and concerts, Coulter said he’s come to know this about neighbours and sound.

“One of the definitions of noise that I like is, it’s somebody else’s favourite music.”

Contact Kelly Egan at 613-726-5896 or by e-mail, kegan@thecitizen.can

Jamaican-Phoenix
Jul 11, 2009, 12:18 AM
Ottawa; truly the city that fun forgot.

Cre47
Nov 22, 2009, 1:35 AM
Maybe this thread should renamed Upcoming major concerts as I think (even though I forgot to update in a long time) it would be worth to show upcoming notable concerts here all-year long.

Anyways, I've updated the list on the first page but here is the list here too.

Upcoming notable concerts/shows in Ottawa

November 27: Lights - Bronson Centre
November 29: Lady Gaga & Kid Cudi - Scotiabank Place
December 11: Matthew Good - National Arts Centre
December 18: Faber Drive - Bronson Centre
December 18: So you think you can dance? - Scotiabank Place
December 20: Three Days Grace, The Used & Default - Scotiabank Place
January 31: Guns & Roses - Scotiabank Place
February 14: Blue Rodeo - Scotiabank Place
February 16: John Mayer - Scotiabank Place
March 26: Billy Talent & Alexisonfire - Scotiabank Place
April 9: Hedley, Stereos, Fefe Dobson & Boys Like Girls - Civic Centre
April 11: Breakin Benjamin, Shinedown & Nickelback - Scotiabank Place
April 17: Hawksley Workman - Bronson Centre
May 20: Taylor Swift - TBA (likely Scotiabank Place)

waterloowarrior
Mar 11, 2010, 8:27 PM
U2 on rumour list for July’s Bluesfest
http://www.yourottawaregion.com/news/local/article/647924--u2-on-rumour-list-for-july-s-bluesfest
Festival staying mum until April 21

Melting snow means one thing: Bluesfest is approaching.

The Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest runs from July 7 to 18 this year, and while the schedule of performers won’t be officially announced until April 21, it’s certainly the season for rumours.

U2 fan site www.interference.com is suggesting Bono and the rest of the Irish band may land here in 2010. The timing looks good, with U2 playing Philadelphia on July 12 and Montreal on July 16 and 17. That leaves a handy gap of three days to swing by LeBreton Flats.

If U2 does show up at Bluesfest, it would likely be the biggest draw the festival has ever seen.

BIG NAMES

A search of other artists touring this summer turns up an interesting list of possibilities for Bluesfest’s 17th year. The following acts are on tour, and could fit an Ottawa date into their schedules:

* Santana.

* The Moody Blues.

* Lou Reed.

* Iron Maiden.

* Alice Cooper.

* Dave Matthews Band.

* Jethro Tull.

* John Hiatt.

* Levon Helm.

* Mavis Staples.

* Jimmy Cliff.

Bluesfest director of communications A.J. Sauve said he can’t confirm any bands until this year’s official lineup announcement in April.

Sauve said the festival is working to add some new wrinkles to the Bluesfest website at www.ottawabluesfest.ca, including a build-your-own-schedule so patrons can plan their day at the multiple stages.

He said he also hopes to have an onsite wireless network at this year’s festival.

“That way you can find your friends,” Sauve said. “There would be a site map (of the grounds at LeBreton Flats) on your phone and you can tell your friends ‘Here I am.’”

Tickets for this year’s Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest go on sale a few days after the April 21 lineup announcement.

Forget Bluesfest, U2 is playing in Gatineau all this month.... in 3D! ;)
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/Even+better+than+real+thing/2627116/story.html

waterloowarrior
Mar 17, 2010, 7:40 PM
July 25 - Sting @ SBP
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Sting+adds+concert+stop+Ottawa/2694108/story.html

Cre47
Mar 17, 2010, 9:34 PM
Also BEP coming on August 1 at the Bank as well, seems every one of their tours includes Ottawa since the Bluesfest show. I will update the calender this weekend - since Guns and Roses, Lady Gaga and Lights have passed a long time ago.

YOWflier
Mar 18, 2010, 2:36 PM
Here's a snippet from the latest Dream Theater newsletter:

Welcome to issue 211 of the Dream Theater newsletter.

For more information on all items mentioned below please
visit the official Dream Theater website at:

http://www.dreamtheater.net/

----------------------------------------------------------

Iron Maiden & Dream Theater - North American Summer Tour!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 4, 2010

DREAM THEATER TO SUPPORT IRON MAIDEN ON NORTH AMERICAN
SUMMER TOUR

TO PLAY NYC'S FAMED MADISON SQUARE GARDEN FOR THE FIRST
TIME IN THEIR CAREER

New York, NY:
Prog rock/metal institution DREAM THEATER will spend their
summer supporting Iron Maiden on the band's month-long tour
of major US and Canadian markets. The tour launches on June
9 and runs through July 20, and includes a stop at the
storied Madison Square Garden in NYC, marking the first
time in a lengthy and respected career that Dream Theater
have played the world's most famous arena.

This tour will mark another milestone in Dream Theater's
history, which continues to expand and evolve twenty-five
years deep.

Of touring with Iron Maiden in North America, drummer
Mike Portnoy said, "It is a bit of a dream come true for us.
After 25 years together, at this stage in our career,
there's honestly only three bands Dream Theater would
consider opening for and Maiden is one of them. It is an
absolute honor. Through the years, we've done many one-off
shows with Maiden and they've almost all been overseas.
It is very exciting to finally be doing a full tour with
them and on our side of the pond no less. These are gonna
be amazing shows that the fans won't want to miss.
Up the f***ing irons!"

Playing MSG for the first time is also a huge accomplishment
for the band and they are thrilled about the prospect.
"Dream Theater has achieved so many dreams through the
years, from playing the Budokan in Tokyo to Wembley Arena
in London to Radio City Music Hall in NYC," Portnoy recalled.
"But the one remaining dream that has eluded us through all
of these years was to play at Madison Square Garden. Well,
on July 12, along with Iron Maiden, that dream will finally
be fulfilled."

Guitarist John Petrucci was equally stoked about the MSG
play, saying, "I am unbelievably excited to be finally
playing Madison Square Garden, and with the almighty Maiden
to boot! They have been heroes to the band since the
beginning and are iconic in our eyes. There is nothing like
achieving success and recognition in your own country,
in your own city. It's going to be an incredible night
for sure."

Portnoy has proof of this career-long dream, saying, "About
a month ago my family and I were watching a video of my first
band Intruder from back in 1983, and in the video before the
show, I was interviewed and asked what my dream goal was.
I responded 'to play the Garden.'It took almost 30 years,
but it's surreal that I will now be able to check it off
the list."

Dream Theater's Black Clouds & Silver Linings was released
in 2009 and debuted at #6 on the Billboard Top 200 Sales chart.

Tour dates for the Iron Maiden/Dream Theater run are as
follows:

Wed June 9th - Dallas, TX - Superpages.com Center
Fri June 11th - Houston, TX - The Woodlands
Sat June 12th - San Antonio, TX - AT&T Center
Mon June 14th - Denver, CO - Fiddler's Green Amphitheater
Wed June 16th - Albuquerque, NM - Journal Pavilion
Thu June 17th - Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion
Sat June 19th - San Bernardino, CA - San Manuel Amphitheater
Sun June 20th - Concord, CA - Sleep Train Pavilion
Tue June 22nd - Auburn, WA - White River Amphitheater
Thu June 24th - Vancouver, BC - GM Place
Sat June 26th - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
Tue June 29th - Saskatoon, SK - Credit Union Centre
Sat July 3rd - Toronto, ON - Molson Amphitheater
Tue July 6th - Ottawa, ON - Blues Fest
Wed July 7th - Montreal, QC - Bell Centre
Fri July 9th - Quebec City, QC - International Summer Festival
Sun July 11th - Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center
Mon July 12th - New York City - Madison Square Garden
Wed July 14th - Pittsburgh, PA - Post Gazette Pavilion
Thu July 15th - Cleveland, OH - Blossom Music Center
Sat July 17th - Detroit, MI - DTE Music Theatre
Sun July 18th - Chicago, IL - First Midwest Bank Amphitheater
Tue July 20th - Washington DC - Nissan Pavilion

Dates are subject to change...
For further info, visit:

www.ironmaiden.com
www.dreamtheater.net

Seeing the legendary Iron Maiden in Ottawa, backed by the amazing Dream Theater to boot, would be an incredible experience.

But before I or any other metalhead gets too excited, I think the information may have been premature as I see several anomalies:

1) Bluesfest officially begins July 7 and the newsletter states that Maiden/DT visit July 6.

2) Iron Maiden's web site doesn't have Ottawa on their official tour list (yet, hopefully), however I do see a large gap between the Toronto stop on the 3rd and the Montreal stop on the 7th. This makes July 6 plausible, but it would involve Bluesfest starting a day earlier.

Come on Bluesfest organizers ... seal the deal!

Radster
Mar 18, 2010, 3:19 PM
Forget Bluesfest, U2 is playing in Gatineau all this month.... in 3D! ;)
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/Even+better+than+real+thing/2627116/story.html

I went to see this, and it was very good! Supposedly Bono claims that the
U23D show is better than the live thing!

Cre47
Apr 2, 2010, 8:29 PM
Updated list (finally I've done an update - see first page)

April 9: Hedley, Stereos, Fefe Dobson & Boys Like Girls - Civic Centre
April 10: Gordon Lightfoot - National Arts Center
April 11: Breakin Benjamin, Shinedown & Nickelback - Scotiabank Place
April 17: Hawksley Workman - Bronson Centre
May 13: Them Crooked Vultures - Scotiabank Place
May 14: Simon and Garfunkel - Scotiabank Place
May 20: Taylor Swift - Scotiabank Place
June 12: Sloan - Westfest
July 6: Faber Drive - Lebreton Flats
July 7-18: Bluesfest
July 25: Sting - Scotiabank Place
August 1: The Black Eyed Peas - Scotiabank Place
August 7: Michael Buble - Scotiabank Place
August 24: Justin Bieber and Sean Kingston - Scotiabank Place

reidjr
Apr 3, 2010, 2:42 PM
As for fabour drive is the concert out doors.

waterloowarrior
Apr 21, 2010, 9:09 PM
Bluesfest 2010
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/Bluesfest+2010/2929969/story.html

Indie upstarts & classic rockers: Festival nabs Rush, Drake, Keith Urban, Arcade Fire, Great Big Sea and Santana
By Lynn Saxberg , The Ottawa CitizenApril 21, 2010 2:24 PM

Canada’s indie-rock heroes Arcade Fire, legendary metal band Iron Maiden, prog-rock trio Rush and a post-Grateful Dead project featuring two members of the iconic jamband are among the headlining acts headed to Ottawa for the 16th annual edition of Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest.

One of the biggest summer music festivals in the country, Bluesfest runs from July 6 to 18 on the grounds of the Canadian War Museum at LeBreton Flats. This year’s event starts on a Tuesday, a day earlier than the festival’s traditional start date, but includes a day off on July 12. The newly devised schedule divides the festival into two separate weeks.

“It sort of makes sense to take a break in the middle, to give everybody a breather and for us to recharge a bit,” said Mark Monahan, the festival’s executive and artistic director. For the first time, festival passports will be available for the first or second week, as well as the entire festival. Weekend passes will not be sold, but day tickets can be purchased.

Final prices were still being determined, but were expected to range from $40-60 for a day ticket, $150 for a single-week pass and $250 for the full event passport.

This year’s talent budget will come in at about $5 million, said Monahan, which is up about $1 million from last year. “It’s hard to top every year but

I would say if you look at the major festivals across North America, this lineup stands with the best of them,” Monahan said. The theme is Bluesfest Goes to Hollywood, a nod to the fact that actor Kevin Costner and his band, Modern West, are booked to perform July 17.

Monahan said the $5-million total includes the money spent on programming the Blues in the Byward offshoot festival, which will feature free outdoor concerts in the Byward Market over two weekends: July 9-11 and July 16-18. That lineup will be announced in mid-May.

The main event starts July 6 with a blast of hard rock from England’s pioneering metalheads, Iron Maiden, a performance that is sure to test the city’s decibel limit. July 7 brings us Furthur, the latest instalment in the long, strange trip of surviving Grateful Dead members Phil Lesh and Bob Weir, who have never before performed in Ottawa. On July 8, get set for a nostalgia fest with the veteran New Wave party band, B-52s, and classic-rock knights the Moody Blues.

Rocker Joan Jett kicks off the first weekend on July 9, followed by a jam-packed schedule that includes Supertramp singer-songwriter Roger Hodgson, Canada’s Juno-winning group of the year, Metric, and U.S. eccentrics the Flaming Lips on Saturday, and Rush headlining on Sunday, which will mark the first outdoor performance in Ottawa by the Canadian power trio. The Band drummer Levon Helm also plays July 11, along with singer-songwriter John Hiatt.

Week Two begins July 13 with a big show by Arcade Fire. Ottawa fans have been waiting for years for a headlining performance by the Montreal-based collective, which counts several musicians from Ottawa among its members.

On July 14, it’s time for another long-awaited concert, this one by Santana with Stevie Winwood. New Zealand’s Neil Finn brings a revitalized version of Crowded House on July 15, followed by Newfoundland favourites Great Big Sea and Canadian hip-hop star Drake on July 16. Country star Keith Urban and quirky alt-rockers Weezer are two of the dozens of acts booked for the final weekend. July 17 will also feature a day of gospel programming.

In all, about 230 acts are performing at Bluesfest, including about 60 from the Ottawa area. Concerts take place on five outdoor stages and in the museum’s indoor Barney Danson theatre.

Last year’s festival attracted more than 350,000 people and generated nearly $60 million in economic benefit to the region, according to statistics gathered by the festival.

INFOBOX

Bluesfest 2010

When: July 6 to July 18

Where: LeBreton Flats, on the grounds of the Canadian War Museum

Tickets: On sale Saturday at 10 a.m. through capitaltickets.ca. (Presale for
Bluesfest “insiders” begins today. See ottawabluesfest.ca)

Headliners

Week 1
July 6: Iron Maiden
July 7: Furthur with Phil Lesh and Bob Weir
July 8: B-52s and Moody Blues
July 9: Joan Jett
July 10: Roger Hodgson, Metric, Flaming Lips
July 11: Rush

Week 2
July 13: Arcade Fire
July 14: Santana and Steve Winwood
July 15: Crowded House
July 16: Great Big Sea
July 17: Keith Urban
July 18: Weezer

more performers at the article link (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/Bluesfest+2010/2929969/story.html) and at http://www.ottawabluesfest.ca/

Looking forward to Metric and Arcade Fire!

Cre47
Apr 21, 2010, 9:11 PM
As for fabour drive is the concert out doors.

They are part of the Blues Fest line-up. And quite a list. I will try to update this weekend the list as there are probably a good 20-30 acts to add on the list. Among those, Carlos Santana, some of the Grateful Dead, Rush, Mariana's Trench, Iron Maiden, Weezer, Alexisonfire, Arcade Fire, Keith Urban, B52's, Metric, Lights, Great Big Sea, Drake, Down with Webster, Matthew Good, etc.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/Bluesfest+2010/2929969/story.html

By the way it is at 9:00 PM at the Hard Rock stage with Lights opening up there.

Cre47
Apr 25, 2010, 10:04 PM
Update including many of the Bluesfest gigs (with starting times), so we have synthpop as well at Bluesfest

May 13: Them Crooked Vultures - Scotiabank Place
May 14: Simon and Garfunkel - Scotiabank Place
May 15: Danko Jones - Maverick
May 20: Taylor Swift - Scotiabank Place
June 12: Sloan - Westfest

July 6: Lights (7:45 PM), Faber Drive (9:00 PM) & Iron Maiden (9:00 PM) - Bluesfest
July 7: Gypsy Kings (7:00 PM) & Jonas (7:30 PM) - Bluesfest
July 8: Moody Blues (8:00 PM) & B52's (9:30 PM) - Bluesfest
July 10: Metric (7:00 PM) & Down with Webster (7:15 PM) - Bluesfest
July 11: Rush (8:00 PM) - Bluesfest
July 13: Alexisonfire (9:00 PM) & Arcade Fire (9:30 PM) - Bluesfest
July 14: Santana (9:30 PM) - Bluesfest
July 15: Marianna's Trench (8:00 PM) & Matthew Good (8:00 PM) - Bluesfest
July 16: Drake (8:00 PM) & Great Big Sea (9:30 PM)- Bluesfest

August 1: The Black Eyed Peas - Scotiabank Place
October 17: Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) - Scotiabank Place

Aylmer
Apr 25, 2010, 10:44 PM
When is the Cat Empire playing?

:)

AuxTown
Apr 26, 2010, 12:23 AM
When is the Cat Empire playing?

:)

July 13 @ 9:30, is this a local band?

There are a few bands that I would like to see, but they all play on different nights. I'll probably go to Weezer, GBS, and Alexisonfire

It's worth noting that July 14th and 15th both only really have one headline-worthy band. Could this be a perfect spot for U2 or Lady Gaga?? Let's hope it's U2 as I wouldn't want to hear Gaga's ridiculous music echoing here in Centretown. Lots of rumours online about U2 as they are in Philadelphia on July 12th and Montreal on July 16th with no gigs in between.

reidjr
May 10, 2010, 9:38 PM
Ottawa will be home to another festival the capital Hoedown will run aug 5-7 at rideau carleton raceway.

Aug 5 (6:00 pm-10:30 pm)
Alan Jackson
Lorrie Morgan

Aug 6 (6:00 pm-10:30 pm)
Dwight Yoakam
Jodee Messina
Tara Oram

Aug 7 (2:30 pm-10:30 pm)
Vince Gill
Bucky Covington

Y101 which is a sponcer says more acts will be added very soon.

Cre47
Jul 2, 2010, 9:39 PM
July 6: Lights (7:45 PM), Faber Drive (9:00 PM) & Iron Maiden (9:00 PM) - Bluesfest
July 7: Gypsy Kings (7:00 PM) & Jonas (7:30 PM) - Bluesfest
July 8: Moody Blues (8:00 PM), B52's (9:30 PM) & Stereos - Bluesfest
July 9: Hole - Bluesfest
July 10: Metric (7:00 PM) & Down with Webster (7:15 PM) - Bluesfest
July 11: Rush (8:00 PM) - Bluesfest
July 13: Alexisonfire (9:00 PM) & Arcade Fire (9:30 PM) - Bluesfest
July 14: Santana (9:30 PM) - Bluesfest
July 15: Marianna's Trench (8:00 PM) & Matthew Good (8:00 PM) - Bluesfest
July 16: Drake (8:00 PM) & Great Big Sea (9:30 PM)- Bluesfest
July 17: Keith Urban - Bluesfest
July 29: Eva Avila - Casino du Lac Leamy
July 31: Airbourne - Capital Music Hall
August 1: The Black Eyed Peas, Jason Derulo & B.O.B - Scotiabank Place
August 5: Alan Jackson - Rideau Carleton Raceway
August 6: April Wine - Arnprior Fair
September 3: April Wine - Shawville Fair
September 3: Hedley - Parc La Baie
September 9: Katie Melua - Bronson Center
October 15: Crash Test Dummies - First Baptist Church
November 21: B.B King - National Arts Center

The bigger additions are the couple of April Wine dates at fairs just outside town, the guests of BEP on August 1, Hedley at the Balloon Festival and a couple of acts where it has been awhile since I haven't heard of: The Crash Test Dummies with an unusual date at a church and our own Canadian Idol winner on July 29

YOWflier
Jul 7, 2010, 4:28 PM
Killer opening night last night at Bluesfest. Dream Theater and Iron Maiden were epic as always, thrilling a crowd estimated at 30,000 (peak).

Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater drummer, main man) has posted this neat pic on his twitter feed, along with a nice comment:

http://twitpic.com/232ihl
Ottawa, ONT - 7/6/10 (biggest/best crowd of the tour so far...)

http://twitpic.com/show/full/232ihl.jpg

I seriously hope Dream Theater returns for a longer set, or even better, their own show some day.

Mille Sabords
Jul 9, 2010, 1:38 AM
Killer opening night last night at Bluesfest. Dream Theater and Iron Maiden were epic as always, thrilling a crowd estimated at 30,000 (peak).

Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater drummer, main man) has posted this neat pic on his twitter feed, along with a nice comment:

http://twitpic.com/232ihl

http://twitpic.com/show/full/232ihl.jpg

I seriously hope Dream Theater returns for a longer set, or even better, their own show some day.

It would be nice as well to have Derek Sherinian, their former guitarist, drop by for a show of his own with some of his own stuff.

YOWflier
Jul 9, 2010, 6:48 PM
I believe you mean keyboardist, and Derek is certainly a fine one at that.

waterloowarrior
Jul 13, 2010, 8:34 PM
Metric was great on Saturday.. here's my blurry cameraphone pic
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4786309273_661fc9f2ff.jpg

The Flaming Lips definitely put on an interesting show (pic from the Sun)
http://www.ottawasun.com/entertainment/music/2010/07/10/14674211.html#/entertainment/music/2010/07/11/pf-14675586.html

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.ottawasun.com/entertainment/music/2010/07/10/The_Flaming_Lips2010_07_10_223.jpg&size=640x480&quality=90

Cre47
Aug 26, 2010, 12:00 AM
Now that the tedious Bieberfever is past, let's put another update - yeah I couldn't wait to erase his entry here. Nothing really big although instrumental music fans might look at the December 22 gig.

September 3: Hedley & Our Lady Peace - Parc La Baie
September 4: Kim Mitchell - Perth Fair
September 18: Down With Webster - Capital Music Hall
October 5: Jason Mraz - Scotiabank Place
November 16: The Trews - Capital Music Hall
December 22: Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Scotiabank Place

By the way - I haven't put any Super Ex entry this year as there are no big names at all - closest might be rapper Classified (last night) but still far from making the notable gigs list.

Cre47
Sep 9, 2010, 11:02 PM
Ozzy Osbourne comes to Ottawa

The Ottawa Citizen September 9, 2010 6:02 PM

Metal legend Ozzy Osbourne stops at Scotiabank Place on Nov. 25, part of an eight-city foray into Canada.

The mini-Canadian tour starts Nov. 12 in Victoria, B.C. and ends in Toronto on Nov. 27. Other dates may be included.

Opening the show will be Halford, the new band featuring ex-Judas Priest frontman, Rob Halford.

Tickets are expected to go on sale Sept. 17. Prices will be announced soon.

Mille Sabords
Sep 13, 2010, 12:42 AM
Now that the tedious Bieberfever is past, let's put another update - yeah I couldn't wait to erase his entry here. Nothing really big although instrumental music fans might look at the December 22 gig.

September 3: Hedley & Our Lady Peace - Parc La Baie
September 4: Kim Mitchell - Perth Fair
September 18: Down With Webster - Capital Music Hall

By the way - I haven't put any Super Ex entry this year as there are no big names at all - closest might be rapper Classified (last night) but still far from making the notable gigs list.

Roger Waters is big enough. I'll probably catch that one. He's doing The Wall in its entirety. Well worth it since I'm not old enough to have caught Floyd live when they toured the original.

Cre47
Sep 24, 2010, 5:07 PM
Aside from Ozzy, the latest notable additions are mostly Canadian acts. Nothing too big but they've add the dates (but not the acts) for next Bluesfest.

September 25: Kim Mitchell - Civic Centre
October 2: Diana Krall - National Arts Centre
October 26: Roch Voisine - Centerpointe Theater
November 11: Bedouin Soundclash - Capital Music Hall
November 25: Ozzy Osbourne - Scotiabank Place
December 2: Great Big Sea - Civic Center
July 6-July 17 - Bluesfest

Also CTV News aired a piece about a videoclip with some pretty smart dogs performing. And I've find out, this Chicago-based group called OK GO is coming on October 15 at Capital Music Hall.

Anyways here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHlJODYBLKs

Cre47
Sep 27, 2010, 2:17 PM
Lady Gaga returns on March 6, 2011

September 27, 2010 10:02 AM Comments (1)

OTTAWA — Lady Gaga will play Scotiabank Place in Ottawa on March 6, 2011, according to her webpage.

No further details were available at time of writing. We'll update with ticket information as soon as it becomes available.

Lady Gaga has played Ottawa twice in less than two years, at Scotiabank Place in November, 2009 and less than a year earlier at the Bronson Centre.

Cre47
Nov 27, 2010, 8:03 PM
Been awhile since the last update (and no Justin Beiber updates so far (thank god!) - just for those wondering ). Many dates at the NAC and the Bronson Center. How big is the latter venue by the way, because it seems that several of the known bands had or will perform there.

December 11: Alexisonfire - Capital Music Hall
December 17: Thornley & Big Wreck - Capital Music Hall
January 19: Finger Eleven - Bronson Centre
January 30: Brad Paisley - Scotiabank Place
February 5: Sarah Harmer - Bronson Centre
February 6: John Mellancamp - National Arts Centre
February 7: Heart - Civic Centre Theatre
February 18: April Wine - Bronson Centre
February 18: Goo Goo Dolls - National Arts Centre
February 28: Melissa Etheridge - National Arts Centre
March 6: Lady Gaga & Scissor Sisters - Scotiabank Place
March 10: Down with Webster - Bronson Centre
March 11: Apocalyptica - Bronson Centre
October 7 (+ additionnal unknown dates) Cirque Du Soleil - "Michael Jackson: The Immortal" - Scotiabank Place
July 6-July 17 - Bluesfest

Cre47
Jan 27, 2011, 6:52 PM
Not that all of us here at SSP are really excited about this.

Backstreet, NKOTB heading to Ottawa

By SCOTT TAYLOR, Ottawa Sun

Last Updated: January 26, 2011 7:02pm

Everybody, Backstreet’s back. And they’re bringing NKOTB with them.

According to the groups’ NKOTBBSB website, the boy bands have added Ottawa to the list of stops on their world tour.

“The unstoppable phenomenon that is the NKOTBSB will add a slew of new dates to their tour including ... Ottawa,” the website promises.

The date hasn’t been divulged yet, but both their joint and respective websites list tour dates through July, so it would seem an August landing is the most likely scenario. However, the boys play Montreal June 7 and Toronto June 8-9 with no dates scheduled for June 6 and June 10, so it’s possible they’ll sneak a show in on one of those two nights.

Their tour will be highlighted by a June 11 show at Boston’s Fenway Park. According to the website, they’ll join only Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Diamond, Jimmy Buffett, Dave Matthews Band, Phish and Aerosmith to have performed on the field of Red Sox’ dreams.

Capital Tickets refused to confirm or deny the news.

Cre47
Jan 27, 2011, 7:05 PM
Also I've checked the U2 pollstar page and it shows this list during the Bluesfest period so maybe some of you guys might hope once again for this edition. If I recalled, they had canned most of last summer's dates including the Toronto and Montreal gigs because of Bono's injury.

Sat 07/02/11 Nashville, TN Vanderbilt Stadium

Tue 07/05/11 Chicago, IL Soldier Field

Fri 07/08/11 Montreal, QC Hippodrome De Montreal

Sat 07/09/11 Montreal, QC Hippodrome De Montreal

Mon 07/11/11 Toronto, ON Rogers Centre

Thu 07/14/11 Philadelphia, PA Lincoln Financial Field

Sun 07/17/11 St. Louis, MO Busch Stadium

Cre47
Jan 28, 2011, 5:49 PM
This was quite a quick sell out. They've added more tickets for this one but it might only take 15 minutes or so before they get snatch as well.

600 tickets added to Katy Perry concert

Ottawa Citizen January 28, 2011 12:45 PM

If you missed out on buying tickets to the July 3 concert by pop star Katy Perry, you have another chance this afternoon.

A new block of 600 side-view seats will be released at 2 p.m. today through Capital Tickets, www.capitaltickets.ca, 613-599-3267 or toll free, 877-788-3267.

According to a representative for concert promoter Live Nation, tickets to the Scotiabank Place concert sold out within 45 minutes of going on sale this morning. At first, they were selling at a rate of 500 per minute. Prices range from $39.50 to $49.50, plus surcharges.

AuxTown
Jan 28, 2011, 11:02 PM
ugh, no thanks. I think it's amazing how great they make her look on TV/Magazines etc. as this is what she looks like normally:

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18300000/Katy-Perry-with-and-without-makeup-katy-perry-18332972-750-281.jpg

Now, if there was any chance we might get to see her rack, then I would be front row centre ----->>

http://www.red-skies.net/super/gifs/KatyElmo.gif

reidjr
Jan 29, 2011, 1:23 PM
Not music releated but ottawa will host the genie awards march 10th at the nac.

harls
Jan 31, 2011, 4:30 PM
According to a representative for concert promoter Live Nation, tickets to the Scotiabank Place concert sold out within 45 minutes of going on sale this morning. At first, they were selling at a rate of 500 per minute.

Almost as fast as the Charley Pride show.. oh wait, I think there may be some seats available. :cool:

Cre47
Feb 27, 2011, 5:24 PM
New Update today, just basically adding Rihanna's June 8 show at the Bank

reidjr
Mar 2, 2011, 5:22 PM
Capital Hoedown Aug 11-13th

Aug 11)Tara Oram 6:00 pm
Doc Walker 7:30 pm
Kenny Chesney 9:00 pm

Aug 12)Billy Currington 6:00 pm
Miranda Lambert 7:30 pm
Carrie Underwood 9:00 pm

Aug 13)The Keats 4:00 pm
Easton Corbin 5:15 pm
Justin Moore 6:30 pm
Sara Evens 7:30 pm
Rascal Flats 9:00 pm

Cre47
Mar 2, 2011, 8:31 PM
So it's at Lebreton Flats this year according to the Citizen? This festival will keep on growing.

Of course, the largest crowd might be from

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/4371990.bin

From the Citizen

Lebreton should be (except during the cold months) the venue no. 1 for major concerts.Rihanna, Katy Perry and Gaga would have had at least 25 000+ at their shows if it would have been at Lebreton Flats.

eternallyme
Mar 4, 2011, 7:08 PM
Are they trying to become the 2nd largest country music festival in North America? (a distant 2nd, mind you)