PDA

View Full Version : Kelly set to deliver wish list

sdm
Jan 15, 2009, 1:06 PM
Kelly set to deliver wish list
'Shovel-ready' items include library, convention centre
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Thu. Jan 15 - 5:14 AM
Halifax Mayor Peter Kelly and his cross-Canada counterparts will be saying "Show me the money" when they meet with two key federal cabinet ministers in Ottawa this morning.

The group known as Big City Mayors, representing 22 of Canada’s largest cities, will present a wish list of 1,000 infrastructure projects totalling $13 billion to Finance Minister Jim Flaherty and Transport Minister John Baird, who is responsible for infrastructure.

"These are shovel-ready projects," Mr. Kelly said Wednesday at city hall before boarding a plane for Ottawa.

This is the time to make a point, he said, with the federal budget coming on Jan. 27.

And Canada’s premiers will meet Friday, also in Ottawa, and the Big City Mayors will draft a letter to them as well.

"It’s important to do this now, when there is the opportunity to put a very clear message to the federal and provincial politicians," Mr. Kelly said.

"We’re putting out the clear message that we have projects, across the country, that would mean 156,000 jobs and affect 20 million people."

Halifax’s proposed projects alone total $1.2 billion, Mr. Kelly said.

"The list is extensive," he said, and includes big-ticket items like a convention centre ($150 million), outdoor stadium ($65 million), downtown library ($60 million) and four-rink ice complex ($35 million) as well as basic infrastructure upgrades and repairs.

While some of the larger items would be located in downtown Halifax, Mr. Kelly was quick to point out that the list includes projects for every corner of Halifax Regional Municipality.

"They are all spread out," he said.

The city faces significant pressure to keep its aging infrastructure safe and in good working condition, the mayor said.

"Our regional plan lays out HRM’s vision for the next 25 years, taking into consideration our existing infrastructure deficit, and works toward decreasing it," he said.

"With additional federal funding, some of HRM’s infrastructure projects could get started in 2009."

Many of the items have been on Halifax’s wish list for years but the list has been updated in recent weeks, Mr. Kelly said.

"This is part of the five-year program and we keep expanding it," he said.

The mayors expect the federal government to start chipping away at the requests by providing financing directly through the gasoline tax.

Mr. Kelly said that model has worked "very well" in Nova Scotia but more money is needed if projects are to get underway.

"We’ve done a great job in terms of focusing and detailing our needs over the years so the provincial and federal governments know where the needs are from coast to coast to coast," he said.

The Big City Mayors also plan to meet this morning with opposition leaders Jack Layton of the NDP and Michael Ignatieff of the Liberals.

( apugsley@herald.ca)

sdm
Jan 15, 2009, 1:08 PM
ok from the numbers listed i come up with $310 million, wheres the other $890 million being spent on? A fast ferry?

BravoZulu
Jan 15, 2009, 4:57 PM
I'd love to see some money come our way to build a stadium, among other things. Maybe a CFL team really isn't all that far off.

But as sdm pointed out I would definitely be curious to see what else is on that list. Might be a great time to push to get rid of the cogswell interchange and restore the street grid, not sure if that would qualify for the funding though.

sdm
Jan 15, 2009, 5:55 PM
http://www.fcm.ca//CMFiles/FCM%20Shovel%20Ready%20report_list%20En%20web1NHM-1142009-572.pdf

2nd last page has the majority of projects.

Fast ferry is in there, along with cogswell and a number of WTF projects.

I don't see the convention centre listed.

BravoZulu
Jan 15, 2009, 7:01 PM
Great info sdm.

I didn't see any mention of the stadium as reported in the herald article. Did I miss it?

Will be interesting to see what if any of these requests make it into the budget.

Dmajackson
Jan 15, 2009, 9:05 PM
Neither the convention centre or the stadium are listed. Seriously I think that if we get any money we should spend a lot of it on public transit projects/improvements like;

- Bayers Road widening
- Fairview Upgrades
- Metro/Harbour Link
- Rural Commuter Transit
- Cogswell St Interchange

Those are my top 5 since a lot of other good projects like the library are still years away.

sdm
Jan 15, 2009, 9:42 PM
Neither the convention centre or the stadium are listed. Seriously I think that if we get any money we should spend a lot of it on public transit projects/improvements like;

- Bayers Road widening
- Fairview Upgrades
- Metro/Harbour Link
- Rural Commuter Transit
- Cogswell St Interchange

Those are my top 5 since a lot of other good projects like the library are still years away.

it would be nice to see cogswell gone, but in the current economic climate i believe the land generated from the removal would sit vacant for sometime, which we can all agree we have enough of now.

Barrington south
Jan 15, 2009, 10:05 PM
Mr. numb-nuts, Mayor Peter Kelly is quick to point out that that there is money for every corner of Halifax, man for once in my life I wish this fellow would focus on the peninsula!...is he that much of a populist...and that much of a coward, that he cannot speak for the heart of Halifax without quickly pandering to ketch harbour and sambro (or other such places) this guy wants to be a big city mayor?...what a joke

worldlyhaligonian
Jan 15, 2009, 10:21 PM
the problem is that every corner of halifax thinks the peninsula is getting alot, when the reality is that nothing is going on.

whatever, this is more of kelly flapping his gums. where is the leadership, 4 more years of this guy. fuck.

someone123
Jan 15, 2009, 10:52 PM
The peninsula is getting a lot... of the taxes.

Halifax Hillbilly
Jan 16, 2009, 2:07 AM
How is the convention centre a "shovel ready" project if the site hasn't even been picked?

It's not a terrible list of projects, but not a lot of vision, just threw the kitchen sink at the problem.

Haliguy
Jan 16, 2009, 2:10 AM
How is the convention centre a "shovel ready" project if the site hasn't even been picked?

It's not a terrible list of projects, but not a lot of vision, just threw the kitchen sink at the problem.

Its suppose to be awarded within weeks so yes I would classify it as shovel ready.

Halifax Hillbilly
Jan 16, 2009, 2:17 AM
Its suppose to be awarded within weeks so yes I would classify it as shovel ready.

It just seems unlikely they'd have construction drawings and everything ready to go.

If they go with the Cogswell site the interchange will have to come down ASAP, which would be great. Don't think another huge building is what is needed in that end of town, but it's much better than a similar size building on the Herald lands.

someone123
Jan 16, 2009, 2:26 AM
"Shovel ready" is a huge exaggeration, and is kind of unrealistic anyway since it doesn't make much sense to fully plan out projects until they can be funded. Many planned project details can quickly become useless.

Kelly is also fooling himself if he thinks Halifax will be getting 10% of a federal grant for anything other than maybe fish research.

I don't mind the idea of tearing down the interchange and building a new convention centre there, although I wonder what would happen with the old one. Building a new Metro Centre and then redeveloping the old site makes a lot more sense to me, and the Herald lands idea is horrible. It's kind of disappointing to me that it is even being seriously considered.

Barrington south
Jan 16, 2009, 3:07 AM
and the Herald lands idea is horrible. It's kind of disappointing to me that it is even being seriously considered.

we have discussed the herald lands for the convention center idea before and I am still in 100% agreement with you someone123...in fact it angers me to think of what a wasted opportunity we will miss if the convention center is indeed built on the Herald lands. That property could be a massive enhancement to the core if it was developed the right way. and the sad thing is, the developer already had plans to build just what would have excelled on that site. high density, residential and commercial with retail on the street level.

spaustin
Jan 16, 2009, 3:11 AM

You hit the nail on the head. A lot of the projects listed are of the what the heck is this variety. The federal funds are about to be turned on. This is an opportunity to do some big stuff and it's not going to come around again for some time. Things like the fast ferry, the Cogswell and a new library should be head of the list. These are the kinds of things that would leave a lasting legacy.

Oh and I completely, the Herald lands would be a terrible spot for a new convention centre. One on the provincial side that I think would be great would be a new Victoria General.

Keith P.
Jan 16, 2009, 11:07 AM
"Shovel ready" is a huge exaggeration, and is kind of unrealistic anyway since it doesn't make much sense to fully plan out projects until they can be funded. Many planned project details can quickly become useless.

The whole term is ridiculous as it applies to some of these major projects. There are no approved sites, there are no designs or plans, and of course our esteemed council has not given their blessing to anything. Aside from the usual laundry list of paving/sewer projects, these large items are just pie in the sky. As usual Kelly makes a fool of himself by saying absurdities.

I don't mind the idea of tearing down the interchange and building a new convention centre there, although I wonder what would happen with the old one. Building a new Metro Centre and then redeveloping the old site makes a lot more sense to me, and the Herald lands idea is horrible. It's kind of disappointing to me that it is even being seriously considered.

I understand the Herald site is off the list and that they are focusing on the Cogswell site. However there is nothing to suggest that the 3 levels of govt can get their act together to do something on this any time soon.

someone123
Jan 16, 2009, 11:14 PM
I understand the Herald site is off the list and that they are focusing on the Cogswell site. However there is nothing to suggest that the 3 levels of govt can get their act together to do something on this any time soon.

I wouldn't expect it to happen soon, but at least the new owner of the Herald site can move forward with an appropriate development for the site, whenever that becomes possible again.

Even just dismantling the interchange would take a while.

I can't help but think that the lack of direction in the city is responsible for the loss of maybe three or four new construction projects in the downtown area (which would have a very significant impact on construction and economic growth for the whole city). Maybe if the HRM and province focused on a small number of things they'd actually get done. Instead, for some reason, everything is being "planned" simultaneously and extremely slowly even though it can never all be funded and built in a timely manner. To some degree it also seems like they are slowing down other possible projects like the Herald lands development. Maybe if the developer had just decided to go with some office space and retail it would be financed and ready for construction already. Instead, they have probably missed the boat.

I wonder if the HRM has a convention centre worth of unused $100k studies gathering dust on shelves.

Barrington south
Jan 17, 2009, 12:19 AM
I understand the Herald site is off the list and that they are focusing on the Cogswell site.

that's the best news I've heard all week!...thanks Keith...:cheers:

sdm
Jan 17, 2009, 2:10 AM
I wonder if the HRM has a convention centre worth of unused $100k studies gathering dust on shelves.

I believe they have plans to expand the current centre into the Metro Centre.

Obviously that would require building a new one, but to me that makes the greatest common sense as we don't need two convention centres.