PDA

View Full Version : Facade removal at Maxim's/Mill's Hardware

hmagazine
Jan 12, 2009, 3:47 PM
Noticed while driving by yesterday that they are removing some of the facade at the old Maxim's/Bannisters/Mill's Hardware building at King and John.

Will get a closer look today - but there was some neat old detailing (curved windows) under the modern brick storefront...

markbarbera
Jan 12, 2009, 4:02 PM
I had noticed this on Saturdasy as well. The building has some great features hiding under the old Maxim's facade.

FairHamilton
Jan 12, 2009, 4:14 PM
Noticed it on the way to Friday's Art Crawl, and I believe it was the removal of the Maxim's sign that has uncovered the building's facade. There is about 18 inches of pigeon droppings accumulated on one of the beams.

It looks nice and will be nicer when they peel more of the current facade off to reveal the original building.

geoff's two cents
Jan 13, 2009, 1:06 AM
Pics?

astroblaster
Jan 13, 2009, 2:02 AM
Pics?

seconded!

flar
Jan 13, 2009, 2:05 AM
I've never taken a picture of this place!

matt602
Jan 13, 2009, 2:37 AM
I only have a pic of it from roughly a month ago, just after the place was bought by the City.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/sugarton/Downtown%20Hamilton/mills.jpg

FairHamilton
Jan 13, 2009, 4:24 AM
^ The sign (black & white) is gone revealing brick and the windows in that are the like the one above the door.

Sorry, I pass by in the dark during the week so I can't get a picture (at least not a half decent one).

hmagazine
Jan 13, 2009, 5:20 PM
Talking to a friend - he is guessing the windows exposed were probably from the Diamond Jim's days...

Amy Kenny did a fantastic timeline about this location in he December issue of H.

1906: Local architect and merchant Charles Mills founds Mills Hardware Co.—a hardware store for farmers. The retail space starts out on John Street and moves to Barton. It eventually ousts the J.B. Gay Bookstore when it moves into 95 King Street East in 1911.

1929: A fire results in $36, 000 worth of damage.

1935: Mills Hardware consolidates its offices at the King Street location and shuts down all other Hamilton locations. From his King Street headquarters, Mills also runs retail outlets in Galt and Burlington.

1950’s: Mills becomes the Golden Rail, a live music venue that attracts the likes of Ronnie Hawkins—the singer who brought the members of The Band together when he employed them as backing musicians. Across the street, at the Royal Connaught Hotel, is where Levon Helm, Rick Danko, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel and Robbie Robertson will first announce their decision to split from Hawkins and become one of Canada’s best-loved rock outfits.

1966: Herman Laufer leaves his cozy Florida retirement to open an 1890’s San Fransisco-era tavern in Hamilton. Diamond Jim’s Tavern opens at 95 King Street East in 1968. People say a working man’s town like Hamilton won’t support such an establishment, but the Tavern takes off. A giant sign above the front doors features a larger-than-life rendering of Laufer—top-hatted and holding a diamond-tipped cane, his neon-lit arms welcome patrons into the luxe establishment. Waitresses wear feather plumes and dangle from ceiling swings. Plush, red velvet seating matches the stage curtains. Hamiltonians visit to dine, dance and play the authentic Monte Carlo roulette tables and Conklin carnival slots. People pay to see bands like The Sugar Shop, the Five Bells, Ricky Francis and the Ink Spots. Though he lives in Toronto, Laufer’s hectic schedule means he keeps a room at the Royal Connaught Hotel, for the nights he can’t make it home.

1971: Kitchener lawyer Sheldon Kosky buys Diamond Jim’s outright from partner Max Mintz—the restaurant owner who hatched the plan for the bar with Laufer back in 1965.

1978: After owners default on the mortgage, local mortgage broker Ronald Vexler buys the bar for $485, 000. This is a far cry from the $800, 000 Laufer spent remodelling the interior of the building into a 500-seat Tavern years earlier.

1989: Bannister’s is one of a handful of downtown bars that is busted in an undercover operation aimed at cleaning up the city’s cocaine scene. Police arrest waitresses, dancers, bouncers, managers and bartenders at Bannister’s, Pandora’s Place, Gangster’s Roadhouse, Hanrahan’s, The Balmoral Tavern, Eddie’s Lounge and Debonair.

1993: Arson is suspected after the fire department is called to a 4am fire at Bannister’s.

2008: The city buys Maxim’s strip club under power of sale. Councillor Brian McHattie announces plans to convert the space to public housing—a move that will provide much needed residential space and rid the King Streetscape of the dirty pink stucco façade, with its signs boasting ice cold beer and hot ladies. H

matt602
Jan 14, 2009, 12:27 AM
pics or it didn't happen:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/sugarton/Downtown%20Hamilton/mills-2.jpg

SteelTown
Jan 14, 2009, 1:24 AM
Very nice.

How I hate buildings covered up, especially stucco, or bricks painted over. Ugh!

matt602
Jan 14, 2009, 2:29 AM
I can't even imagine why you'd pick that horrible material and even more horrible color.

... oh, it was a strip joint. Alright.

emge
Feb 17, 2009, 5:37 AM
speaking of covered up (again)....

this is what it looks like right now:

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/MerBot/P1110909.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/MerBot/P1110900.jpg

adam
Feb 17, 2009, 3:09 PM
Some wonderul ice can get trapped in behind that and damage the brick. It seems like they are trying to make it look as bad as possible while promoting water damage. :shrug: :koko:

hmagazine
Feb 17, 2009, 4:05 PM
The city does own it now.

Have you seen their other well-kept properties?

St. Mark's anyone?

matt602
Feb 17, 2009, 5:02 PM
I'm thinking that's just temporary until they can figure out how to properly restore the entire thing.

... I hope.

flar
Feb 17, 2009, 5:08 PM
I imagine it will look like that for months or possibly years. Even if it is only temporary, they could have done a better job.

This is an example of the kind of half assed abandoned look that makes people think downtown Hamilton is shitty. It's all the worse because there was actually a business operating there.