PDA

View Full Version : North Shore Updates

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Distill3d
Jan 10, 2009, 10:31 AM
seeing as how every thread that as started pertaining to North Vancouver has turned into an agreement on the yet unscheduled redevelopment of the Safeway on Lonsdale Avenue and 13 Street or has become a debate on the SeaBus being faster route to downtown Vancouver vs The 240/241, i figured i would start this thread.

North Shore residents, please, state your issues. we can hopefully have a healthy conversation about them.

Rusty Gull
Jan 10, 2009, 4:05 PM
Transportation is, and always will be, a huge issue on the North Shore. Bus service up and down Lonsdale is absolutely brutal.

The Lonsdale corridor, which has long embraced density, is being punished for the sprawl that is prevalent in other parts of the North Shore.

There is also the long-simmering question of amalgamation between the City and District of North Vancouver. Most folks have no idea that there are indeed 2 North Vancouvers, but that is the case. And it's one of the reasons why nothing ever seems to get done in the North Shore.

fever
Jan 10, 2009, 7:06 PM
The seabus is slower but more pleasant and never late. When I was commuting to UBC from North Van, I'd only take it if I could get a ride to the terminal (my parents work near there) on the way there or if I could see that Georgia street was a mess on the way back (I'd look out the window, the stop is on the north side of Georgia for both the 44 and 98).

I went over to the North Shore over the holidays, and took a look at a few construction sites. The old Dave Buck site looks to be well under way. Hopefully it gets torn down in 10 years. The two towers on 13th are nearly topped out. The library is ok, nothing special. I checked that out when it opened a few months ago.

Pinion
Jan 10, 2009, 11:59 PM
I'd just like to thank the stupid furniture store on 3rd and Lonsdale for finally taking down their huge "going out of business" signs, which were there for at least three years. Like the area needs any more help looking economically depressed.

And when do we get our seawall? I moved to LL because I thought we were getting a seawall and it's not here yet, goshdarnit.

On the subject of grocery stores, is the new Save On Foods on Marine still in development? Can't see anything but piles of dirt.

fever
Jan 11, 2009, 12:07 AM
I heard that a short section of the seawall from Waterfront park to the marina was being built. It's maybe only a couple hundred metres long, though. It would be a great shortcut to the Cap Mall area if they could get it all the way to Bewicke. Currently, the TransCanada Trail follows 3rd street, a truck route that has narrow sidewalks with utility poles, between Waterfront park and Marine drive/Mosquito Park.

I don't know if the Save on (old Dave Buck site) is still being built. I just know it's not a parking lot anymore.

Distill3d
Jan 11, 2009, 12:15 AM
i can tell i haven't been in North Vancouver very long, but is the Dave Buck site next to Capilano Mall?

fever
Jan 11, 2009, 12:19 AM
Yeah that's it. Southeast corner of Hanes and Marine

Pinion
Jan 11, 2009, 4:59 AM
I heard that a short section of the seawall from Waterfront park to the marina was being built. It's maybe only a couple hundred metres long, though. It would be a great shortcut to the Cap Mall area if they could get it all the way to Bewicke.

I'm more interested in the potential seawall between St Andrews-ish and the quay. If the condos are back on track then that should be too. I'd love to walk to the seabus that way.

Rusty Gull
Jan 11, 2009, 7:15 AM
I'd just like to thank the stupid furniture store on 3rd and Lonsdale for finally taking down their huge "going out of business" signs, which were there for at least three years. Like the area needs any more help looking economically depressed.

And when do we get our seawall? I moved to LL because I thought we were getting a seawall and it's not here yet, goshdarnit.

There's been talk of a North Vancouver seawall for DECADES. Don't hold your breath waiting for it. The North Shore waterfront is very different from False Creek. There are many stakeholders: several First Nations groups, private land owners, lots of active industry and port lands, and of course, there are the usual North Shore Nimbies.

As for the furniture store: Did you find out if it was actually "going out of business?"

jlousa
Jan 12, 2009, 1:37 AM
The Save-On is still a go, they are busy dealing with another site that's been causing them some issues, so I imagine it'll be delayed but it will still move ahead. Update should be pending in the spring.

Pinion
Jan 12, 2009, 3:48 AM
As for the furniture store: Did you find out if it was actually "going out of business?"

I asked an employee in September of 2005 when they were going out of business and she said three months.

Metro-One
Jan 12, 2009, 3:55 AM
The north shore is the one area of Metro-Vancouver that i think is perfect for LRT. It already has the seabus (which would become the main transit hub) and any mass transit system would have limited room for expansion because of the geography, hence skytrain in that area would be a waste of money and better used for UBC and other areas.

Rusty Gull
Jan 12, 2009, 5:56 AM
^What are you proposing... LRT between Lonsdale Quay and Ambleside? That seems to be the corridor with the most concentrated population -- other than the length of Lonsdale itself (which, due to the gradient, might not be able to sustain rail-based transit -- at least from what I've been told).

fever
Jan 12, 2009, 6:14 AM
It did. But a few streetcars ended up in the inlet (iirc).

If hell freezes over or north van joins the growth concentration area, maybe they'll build a tunnel under the inlet, with a deep station under Lower Lonsdale, then bored up to Central Lonsdale. Or maybe a tunnel to the Cap Mall area, then cut and cover up Keith (like on Cambie). One of those old freeway proposals took that route under the inlet, probably because it's shorter and because they'd get to build an island in coal harbour.

Distill3d
Jan 12, 2009, 9:32 AM
IMO an LRT route would be perfect to have stretch from Ambleside to Deep Cove along Marine Drive > 3rd Street > Main Street > Dollarton Highway > Riverside Drive > Seymour Parkway > Dollarton Highway to Dollar Road. bus service can pick up passengers from there to take to Deep Cove

Rusty Gull
Jan 12, 2009, 7:13 PM
^There actually is a heritage streetcar proposal that is - last time I checked - still in play for the North Vancouver waterfront. It was supposed to go from Lonsdale to the Norgate area -- or Lonsdale to Park&Tilford.

I could see that being the start of something more significant -- IF it ever got off the ground. Then again, it was more of a tourist deal than a commuter project.

SpongeG
Jan 13, 2009, 5:30 AM
North Vancouver waterfront project is back in business

by: Derek Moscato January 11, 2009 8:44 PM comments: (0)

Some positive news for those following the progress of the waterfront revitalization project at the foot of Lonsdale Avenue in North Vancouver.

The $100 million mixed-use development is back in business after coming to a troubling halt this past fall -- in the wake of the Wall Street meltdown and ensuing economic uncertainty.

I was surprised to hear construction noise coming from the site when I was in the vicinity this past Friday morning. Apparently, construction resumed on the waterfront as early as Wednesday.

The project, which will include a hotel, conference centre and high-end condominiums, is slated for completion before the 2010 Winter Olympics -- although the timeline is ambitious, given delays on the project to date. Two heritage structures on the waterfront land will also be refurbished.

This is all part of the ongoing effort to revitalize not only the North Vancouver waterfront, but also the Lower Lonsdale neighbourhood.

New life is also being breathed into the hopeful centerpiece of the waterfront project, the National Maritime Centre. According to media reports citing City of North Vancouver mayor Darrell Mussatto, the federal government is giving the site consideration for funding as part of its infrastructure-geared national stimulus spending package.

http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/blog/post/165208

CameronT120
Jan 14, 2009, 8:44 PM
I'd like to see the Lonsdale corridor be developed as the hub of business and multi-family as proposed at last years open house hosted by the City at the Harry Jerome rec centre. I overheard a great deal of support for this. However the Pam Bookhams and Ivan Leonards of our community don't seem to want to share our city with people who want to move here. Single family space wasters, or nothing at all, for thoise two. And God forbid a homeowner put a basement suite in a duplex!

My second wish is for Pam Bookham to move back to Ontario and for Ivan Leonard to go back to the UK, or wherever he's from.

wrenegade
Jan 14, 2009, 9:38 PM
The Save-On is still a go, they are busy dealing with another site that's been causing them some issues, so I imagine it'll be delayed but it will still move ahead. Update should be pending in the spring.

The Save-On, Shoppers and BCL on that site have always been scheduled for completion in 2010. Although a Spring date has probably been pushed back to Summer or Fall now.

jozero
Jan 16, 2009, 1:32 AM
I like the area but have some suggestions :
- real bike paths that do no cut off.
- neighborhoods with no sidewalks or street lights. I simply don't understand those blocks. I did spend 3 years when I was a child in India in a small village, perhaps they are going for that look.

Excited about :
- North Shore spirit trail : http://www.cnv.org/?c=3&i=455. The trail and the pedestrian bridges it may bring.
- potential linking of green belt around city
- Any potential updates on the street car. I recently picked up the 'Ambitious City' by Warren Sommer which is the history of North Van. We used have an amazing little network of street cars here. Even a small route would be a fantastic tourist draw
- potential of The Pier public area. If it pans out could be terrific.
- long term future potential of that bizarre field area west of the seabus around where the car dealers are. What a waste of a magnificent area
- New seabus

Would love :
- good large bookstore in Lower Lonsdale
- more town house walk up areas. If East of Lonsdale gets rezoned it would be prime for this.

Already enjoy :
- the small town big town feel it has
- mountains
- complete lonsdale strip
- scattered parks
- the up hill grade
- somewhat access to water, which will only improve
- the Quay market
- seabus access to downtown

Distill3d
Jan 20, 2009, 1:04 AM
perhaps the lack of high rises is an issue in North Vancouver, but i snapped these pictures of the crane at the low rise 1133 Lonsdale:

from my apartment window:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j155/starfcuk/100_1136.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j155/starfcuk/100_1137.jpg

this one also has the cranes from the development on Chesterfield and 13 Street
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j155/starfcuk/100_1139.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j155/starfcuk/100_1140.jpg

CameronT120
Jan 20, 2009, 2:05 AM
perhaps the lack of high rises is an issue in North Vancouver,...

Good Lord, don't let Ivan Leonard and the rest of his NIMBYs hear you say that!
:haha:

Distill3d
Jan 20, 2009, 10:01 AM
Ivan Leonard and his NIMBY friends can kiss my ass lol.

North Vancouver needs to start thinking about what its going to look like in 30 years. the Central Lonsdale corridor could be booming with mid rise office towers (12 - 20 floors), and high rise condo towers right now if it weren't for the NIMBYs.

thedjraw
Jan 24, 2009, 12:09 AM
I know that its not North Van... but does anyone have any idea whats going on with the Evelyn development on Taylor Way? It seems like its just been dirt forever!

LeftCoaster
Jan 24, 2009, 12:33 AM
It was on hold but I actually saw workers there today. I don't know what the deal is as to the best of my knowledge it is still on hold and the developer Millennium still has financial difficulties.

jlousa
Jan 24, 2009, 7:32 PM
That's correct it's on hold, until the spring is the latest info. Personally I don't think there will be any movement there till the following spring, why would Millennium start spending money they don't have on improvements that could be forfeited to the COV if the olympic village doesn't end up covering it's bills.

SpongeG
Jan 25, 2009, 9:37 PM
Ivan Leonard and his NIMBY friends can kiss my ass lol.

North Vancouver needs to start thinking about what its going to look like in 30 years. the Central Lonsdale corridor could be booming with mid rise office towers (12 - 20 floors), and high rise condo towers right now if it weren't for the NIMBYs.

take away office space for the downtown core - isnt that blasphemy in here? :haha:

Pinion
Jan 29, 2009, 8:11 AM
So I go by the pier waterfront development every day at around 3pm and I still haven't seen any signs of life. If I didn't read this board I'd assume the hotel was still on hold. What's the deal?

Distill3d
Jan 31, 2009, 9:05 PM
take away office space for the downtown core - isnt that blasphemy in here? :haha:

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! don't tell anyone!! :cheers:

CameronT120
Feb 4, 2009, 8:11 PM
So I go by the pier waterfront development every day at around 3pm and I still haven't seen any signs of life. If I didn't read this board I'd assume the hotel was still on hold. What's the deal?

I went by on the Lonsdale bus yesterday afternoon and saw workers on site. They must have been waiting for the nice weather.

Rusty Gull
Feb 4, 2009, 10:43 PM
There were certainly construction workers on the site this morning.

In fact, I hate to say it, but this is one tower that I'm not so keen to see rise. That's because it is going to block the view of Burrard Inlet when one is driving/walking down Lonsdale Avenue.

Trevor Boddy trashed this project in the Globe many months ago (calling the hotel project a "gorilla" because of its girth, and his gripe appears to be well-founded.

I went by on the Lonsdale bus yesterday afternoon and saw workers on site. They must have been waiting for the nice weather.

Rusty Gull
Feb 4, 2009, 10:45 PM
Good Lord, don't let Ivan Leonard and the rest of his NIMBYs hear you say that!
:haha:

I wonder if Ivan knows there's a forum called Skyscraperpage that actually celebrates highrise architecture! Skyscrapers are to Ivan what kryptonite is to Superman...

CameronT120
Feb 5, 2009, 5:36 PM
I wonder if Ivan knows there's a forum called Skyscraperpage that actually celebrates highrise architecture! Skyscrapers are to Ivan what kryptonite is to Superman...

Yeah, but Superman is cool...

Pinion
Feb 9, 2009, 12:10 AM
I noticed the grey building directly east of Lonsdale Quay (Cates Marina?) has a fence around it and a redevelopment sign as I went by on the bus today. Anyone know the details? That is some prime real estate.

Rusty Gull
Feb 9, 2009, 1:24 AM
^Could this be it?

"MINUTES OF THE SPECIAL MEETING OF COUNCIL HELD IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, CITY HALL, 141 WEST 14th STREET, NORTH VANCOUVER, B.C., ON MONDAY, APRIL 14, 2008 AT 6:00 P.M.

REPORT OF COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE

Moved by Councillor Heywood, seconded by Councillor Schechter that the following recommendation of the Committee of the Whole in camera be ratified:

3. Cates Tugs / Carrie Cates Court / Lonsdale Waterlot Interim Waterfront Enhancements (Washington Marine Group/Seaspan)

- File: 3380-02
Report: Waterfront Project Manager, April 9, 2008.

PURSUANT to the report of the Waterfront Project Manager, dated April 9, 2008, entitled "Cates Tugs / Carrie Cates Court / Lonsdale Waterlot Interim Waterfront Enhancements (Washington Marin Group/Seaspan)":

THAT the Waterfront Project Manager and Lands Division staff be requested to proceed with a temporary lease extension with Seaspan as outlined in the April 9, 2008 report to achieve interim Lonsdale water lot and Carrie Cates Court streetscape improvements, as outlined in the April 9, 2008 report;
AND THAT $100,000 be included in the Spring 2008 appropriations for the Carrie Cates Court sidewalk improvements which is to be funded from the 2008 capital budget amount set aside for the Foot of Lonsdale Development Project.

CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY

Distill3d
Feb 9, 2009, 3:02 AM
I noticed the grey building directly east of Lonsdale Quay (Cates Marina?) has a fence around it and a redevelopment sign as I went by on the bus today. Anyone know the details? That is some prime real estate.

its been like that for about a week now. however, even with Rusty's post, i'm not sure i understand what is going on. i've seen workers coming in and out. so i think its a "business as usual" renovation?

jlousa
Feb 9, 2009, 3:56 AM
The District of North Van has issued an RFEOI for the Spirit trail, they are planning on issuing an RFP in Mar/09 and have the design work completed by Summer/09. Don't know when construction will actually start but these type of projects don't take too long once they do get shovels into the ground.

"The District of North Vancouver invites Letters of Expression of Interest from interested consulting firms to carry out the detailed design and tender preparation for the western section of the District of North Vancouver’s Spirit Trail.

The Western Section of the proposed Spirit Trail is envisioned as a 1.4-kilometre long multi-use pathway, extending from the West Vancouver and Squamish Nation boundary in the west to Mackay Road and the City of North Vancouver boundary in the east. It would eventually form part of a 35-kilometre trail from Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove. A conceptual design has been prepared and a preferred route selected for this western section that will be provided to the successful firm.
Consulting services provided may include, but are not limited to:
• Landscape architecture;
• Lighting design;
• Sign layout;
• Civil engineering design;
• Traffic engineering;
• Pedestrian bridge design (across Mackay Creek);
• Neighbourhood consultation; and
• Construction supervision."

fever
Feb 9, 2009, 4:03 AM
Someone posted the changes to the Cates tugs parking lot a while ago. They're making the sidewalk a bit wider by expanding it into the parking lot, iirc.

Here's a link to the cnv's spirit trail report: http://www.cnv.org/?c=3&i=455
and from the district: http://dnv.org/upload/documents/Communications%20General/Spirit%20Trail%20Western%20Section%20Technical%20Memorandum.pdf

jozero
Feb 11, 2009, 11:06 PM
It's to make the front sidewalk more pedestrian friendly, it is part of the Spirit Trail ? Took some pics of it.

http://thumbnails14.imagebam.com/2644/272d5126438700.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/272d5126438700)

http://thumbnails12.imagebam.com/2644/83ff1326438704.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/83ff1326438704)

Apparently they recently opened the part of the Spirit Trail that is on Native Land. Where is this exactly?

jozero
Feb 11, 2009, 11:11 PM
I have a contest for us North Vancouverites.

Where is this store? I Stumbled upon it. Its in a weird spot.

http://thumbnails15.imagebam.com/2644/ead06d26439093.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/ead06d26439093)

I blocked out the parts that would give it away.

Pinion
Feb 15, 2009, 10:19 PM
It's to make the front sidewalk more pedestrian friendly, it is part of the Spirit Trail ? Took some pics of it.

http://thumbnails14.imagebam.com/2644/272d5126438700.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/272d5126438700)

http://thumbnails12.imagebam.com/2644/83ff1326438704.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/83ff1326438704)

Apparently they recently opened the part of the Spirit Trail that is on Native Land. Where is this exactly?

Thanks for that.

Distill3d
Feb 16, 2009, 11:05 PM

http://thumbnails15.imagebam.com/2644/ead06d26439093.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/ead06d26439093)

you mean i actually have to get out of my apartment and look for that :haha:

what do we win if we guess correctly?

btw, it may help if the picture was a little bigger too.

jozero
Feb 17, 2009, 8:37 AM
You get some street cred ! Click on the picture, it should open nice and large.

Who the heck approved the styling of the Pier ? The script font they use for signage is right out of the 80s, the inside hallways of the 'high end' building looking like a decades old cruise ship. North Van really had something nice going with the Time Building / One Park Lane design, its too bad they didn't continue it with the Pier project.

worldwide
Feb 17, 2009, 8:48 AM
is that near lonsdale on the way to the low road? sorry im bad with street names on the shore

Distill3d
Feb 17, 2009, 8:51 AM
i know i've passed it a few times. i just don't remember the name of the store!

Pinion
Feb 19, 2009, 12:35 AM
I'm still not seeing anything at the Pier development. No workers, no change to the construction since last October. What happened to "full steam" ahead (cnv mayor comment)

Seriously someone help me out here. What have they done?

worldwide
Feb 19, 2009, 4:22 AM
if it hasnt started yet it probably isnt gonna happen for a while.

but hey, i got an interview at pier 94 tomorrow. if i get the job i'll be a regular old north shore expert. as of now i only know my way around a few small areas like lonsdale, phibbs, cap mall etc

CameronT120
Feb 19, 2009, 6:25 PM
I'm still not seeing anything at the Pier development. No workers, no change to the construction since last October. What happened to "full steam" ahead (cnv mayor comment)

Seriously someone help me out here. What have they done?

Are we talking about the same project? I go by it on the bus every afternoon and see workers there.

Pinion
Feb 19, 2009, 11:10 PM
Are we talking about the same project? I go by it on the bus every afternoon and see workers there.

I finally saw something today around 1pm (looked like concrete pouring). Still extremely slow work for a hotel that the CNV mayor said would be finished before the Olympics (lol).

Workers are never there when I go to work or come home.

Distill3d
Feb 20, 2009, 1:13 AM
I finally saw something today around 1pm (looked like concrete pouring). Still extremely slow work for a hotel that the CNV mayor said would be finished before the Olympics (lol).

Workers are never there when I go to work or come home.

we gotta year still. its moving slowly i agree, but they're doing work on it. most of the shell of the building was up before work stopped.

jozero
Feb 20, 2009, 10:45 PM
is that near lonsdale on the way to the low road? sorry im bad with street names on the shore

Its right in the core of lower lonsdale. Not where you would expect a store.

Pinion
Feb 26, 2009, 12:13 AM
They're doing some major digging right into Lonsdale ave now at the Pier site. Suddenly a 10 foot deep hole that wasn't there this morning.

I'm obsessed with this project for some reason.

CameronT120
Feb 26, 2009, 8:36 PM
I wonder when we'll hear about any possible funding for the HJ Rec Centre redevelopment.

SunCoaster
Mar 4, 2009, 3:14 AM
Could you North Van forumers give me updates re the following projects? (please and thanks)

1. 36 story tower @ the foot of Lonsdale ... yes, I know the NIMBY's got this one nixed but I'm wondering if there are any rumors of it being resurrected but perhaps redesigned and/or shorter?

2. What's happening about the North Van COSTCO as I thought it was supposed to be opened by now? If it's still a go, where will it be located and when will it open?

3. What, if anything, is happening about that proposed 450,000 sq. ft. mall to be located on the Squamish band land directly east of the Real Canadian Superstore?

4. What's happening in terms of the rumor to add an additional translink ferry between Lonsdale Quay and The Sails?

5. I've read the discussion about the new Save-On-Foods being built immediately east of Cap Mall and I'm wondering will this definitely be a Save-On-Foods or will it be labelled with one of Jimmy Paterson's other food chains? (eg. Overwaitea, PriceSmart, Coopers) - reason I'm asking is if a 'new brand' was introduced then, in theory, the existing Save-On-Foods could remain open for a while.

6. With Kevin Falcon splashing mega money around on projects, like the new Port Mann Bridge and the South Fraser Perimeter Hwy., I'm wondering if there is renewed interest in a 3rd crossing for Burrard Inlet?

Distill3d
Mar 4, 2009, 4:19 AM
4. What's happening in terms of the rumor to add an additional translink ferry between Lonsdale Quay and The Sails?

this is true. the 3rd SeaBus is being built in Victoria as we speak.

you can find out more about it here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=152673

6. With Kevin Falcon splashing mega money around on projects, like the new Port Mann Bridge and the South Fraser Perimeter Hwy., I'm wondering if there is renewed interest in a 3rd crossing for Burrard Inlet?

of course there will always be interest in building a 3rd crossing over the Burrard Inlet. the questions that will arise with such a project would always been when, where, and how?

wrenegade
Mar 4, 2009, 6:16 PM
Could you North Van forumers give me updates re the following projects? (please and thanks)

2. What's happening about the North Van COSTCO as I thought it was supposed to be opened by now? If it's still a go, where will it be located and when will it open?

3. What, if anything, is happening about that proposed 450,000 sq. ft. mall to be located on the Squamish band land directly east of the Real Canadian Superstore?

5. I've read the discussion about the new Save-On-Foods being built immediately east of Cap Mall and I'm wondering will this definitely be a Save-On-Foods or will it be labelled with one of Jimmy Paterson's other food chains? (eg. Overwaitea, PriceSmart, Coopers) - reason I'm asking is if a 'new brand' was introduced then, in theory, the existing Save-On-Foods could remain open for a while.

2. Dead. For now. I believe both North Van District and City have passed bylaws limiting box stores to 40,000 sq ft. With the average Costco around 100k-120k, don't bet on this ever happening....

3. ...Unless the Seymour mall goes ahead. Which as been talked about for close to 15 years. Home Depot had a deal with the band to build a store there....in the early 90s. With the economy in the tank, especially retail, don't bet on this one happening for another number of years.

5. It will be a Save-On. Shoppers Drug Mart will also be joining them on-site, as will Perfect Lies (relo from their existing store). I believe there is/was talks of a Signature BC Liquor store as well, but I don't think that deal is finalized yet. The Pemberton Save-On site was going to be redeveloped by Pattison but again, with the economy in the tank that is up in the air. I have no idea whether the existing Save-On will remain open, closed, or re-branded (this seems most logical now), but not much will happen with the site for a while.

Rusty Gull
Mar 4, 2009, 6:50 PM
1. 36 story tower @ the foot of Lonsdale ... yes, I know the NIMBY's got this one nixed but I'm wondering if there are any rumors of it being resurrected but perhaps redesigned and/or shorter?

1. It will be years before we see the likes of that beautiful tower design again -- if ever. The lynch mob organized by Ivan Leonard and the Lonsdale Citizens Coalition (essentially a gang of grumpy senior citizens and baby boomers) made so much noise over this that they also nearly put an end to Mayor Darrell Mussatto's career. And I'm sure the Henriquez architecture firm vows never to work on a project in the North Shore again after the way they were treated at some of the citizens forums.

2. Just in case you didn't know, the original Costco site at Norgate (again a victim of a Nimby revolt, along with a planned bus facility) was of course cancelled, so the regional government has decided to reward the folks living there by putting a sewage treatment facility there instead.

4. Yes, currently being built -- has already been spotted cruising around Burrard Inlet.

6. Mostly no. Though I heard the host of the CBC Morning show on the radio making the case for it recently.

Pinion
Mar 9, 2009, 11:14 PM
The Pier hotel has some windows now http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-woop.gif http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-woop.gif http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-woop.gif

Dare I say it is time for it to get its own update thread? It's a large development and almost photo-worthy at this point. I'd do it myself but I'm unsure of the protocol.

Rusty Gull
Mar 10, 2009, 4:39 AM
Go for it! Just use some of the other thread titles for developments as a template. Will your photos include the high-rise hating Nimbies of North Van protesting in front?

Distill3d
Mar 10, 2009, 5:32 AM
Will your photos include the high-rise hating Nimbies of North Van protesting in front?

sadly gang violence doesn't target the ones we want it to eh? :jester:

....okay, that was low, even for me.

CameronT120
Mar 15, 2009, 4:39 PM
I find it interesting how the Ivan Leonards and Sue Cooks are screaming for the neighborhood to be cleaned up yet don't see how new development can assist in that goal.

Distill3d
Mar 15, 2009, 6:09 PM
^that happens anywhere. its the preservationist in them that wants to see things look the way they are, but make improvements to the way they think things should run.

i mean, we all have a bit of NIMBYism in us. we all agree something needs to be done about crime, but no one wants a prison next to the school their children goto. i can appreciate that. however, to not want new development in an area you are attempting to revitalize is absurd.

Rusty Gull
Mar 16, 2009, 6:18 PM
The sidewalk improvement program next to Lonsdale Quay, in front of Cates Tugboats facility, is near completion. It is actually a nice improvement!

Pinion
Mar 18, 2009, 7:12 AM
The strip mall next to Cap mall (Capilano Centre or something?) is starting to take shape. Some framing is up. Is there a site with renders or anything?

I'm guessing a Park Royal Village type thing is too much to ask.

Distill3d
Mar 18, 2009, 8:31 AM
The strip mall next to Cap mall (Capilano Centre or something?) is starting to take shape. Some framing is up. Is there a site with renders or anything?

I'm guessing a Park Royal Village type thing is too much to ask.

LOL i wouldn't want the Park Royal Village anywhere else.

there was a rendering on site until a little while ago. they took it down in January or December.

wrenegade
Mar 20, 2009, 7:07 PM
Imagine something similar to the Canadian Tire on Grandview Highway. Multi-level retail and parking. I don't have access to the site plans anymore unfortunately.

spyro
Mar 21, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hey everyone, i'm doing a little project on the bus loop at Lonsdale Quay and i haven't been able to find anything on the CNV website so i was wondering if anyone here could help me out? i'm trying to find the years that the bus loop, the seabus terminal, and the ICBC building were constructed, if anyone knows?

Distill3d
Mar 22, 2009, 12:01 AM
SeaBus terminal would've opened in 1977. ICBC building I believe was finished in 1986 (give or take a year), and assuming the Bus Loop has been there about as long as the SeaBus...

spyro
Mar 22, 2009, 2:10 AM
^ awesome thanks a lot Distill3d!

Distill3d
Mar 22, 2009, 2:57 PM
^ awesome thanks a lot Distill3d!

i'd still look into the Bus Loop if i were you. that was only an assumption LOL

Pinion
Mar 31, 2009, 9:16 PM
From the north shore news:

North Shore gets huge ports boost

The North Shore is set to receive $225 million worth of infrastructure improvements to its ports, rail and roadways in order to bolster the community's role in the Asia-Pacific Gateway.

The funding, announced Friday by Stockwell Day, federal Minister of International Trade and the Asia Pacific Gateway and Premier Gordon Campbell, will go toward five major projects aimed at enhancing the Asia-Pacific Gateway.

"Most commodities imported and exported on the North Shore are directly related to trade with the Asia-Pacific region," Day said in a statement. "Improving transportation infrastructure in this area will create jobs in the community and strengthen Canada's competitive position in international commerce."

The new partnership will see $75 million in federal funds, $62 million from the provincial government and $49.2 million from Port Metro Vancouver.

TransLink is also set to make a $5 million contribution, while the City of North Vancouver has committed $2.7 million and the District of North Vancouver $5.6 million to the project. CN Rail and CP Rail have collectively contributed $23.7 million and supporting terminal operators committed $2.5 million.

"This is an excellent example of how building for the future with sustainable growth can be realized through co-operation among all levels of government and the private sector, said Robin Silvester of Port Metro Vancouver. "As an integral part of the Asia-Pacific Gateway, the North Shore trade area will not only result in significant community and environmental benefits, it will enhance the economic development throughout the region."

According to a release provided by the provincial government, the funding will be split among five major projects:

- A $25.5-million modification of the Brooksbank underpass to accommodate several additional rail tracks necessary for port terminal expansion plans and enable increased rail capacity. Access to Harbourview Park south of the rail tracks will be protected.

- Neptune/Cargill grade separation to eliminate the existing at-grade crossing in the vicinity of Low Level Road and East Third Street in the City of North Vancouver that provides access to the Neptune and Cargill terminals. The $48.3-million project is intended to facilitate rail movements, reduce rail whistle noise and improve road access for workers and emergency services.

- Realignment of Low Level Road, which would realign and elevate the existing Low Level Road to accommodate two new rail tracks essential to port expansion. The 1.5-kilometre, $59.2-million project will address drainage and slope stability issues, reduce train-switching noise, and provide separation between road and rail corridors to improve road safety and security. The realignment should also facilitate construction of the North Shore Spirit Trail.

- A $42.7-million Pemberton Avenue grade separation to provide an overpass across the CN rail line, replacing the existing Pemberton Avenue and Phillip Avenue at-grade crossings. The project should provide traffic relief to a projected 6,500 vehicles per day by 2021. The move should also reduce noise pollution in the local community while allowing the CNR to operate longer trains. Road connections to industries lying south of the rail tracks will also be improved.

- Extension of the lower level route to Marine Drive at an estimated cost of $86.8 million, though only $50 million has been confirmed. Extension of the lower level route from Garden Avenue to Marine Drive near Park Royal Shopping Centre in the District of West Vancouver should provide a two-lane road, including a new bridge over the Capilano River. The project should provide significant traffic relief to the Marine Drive approach to the Lions Gate Bridge.

Some of the projects announced, particularly expansion of the Lower Level Road, were top priorities identified by business leaders at the North Shore Economic Summit organized by the North Shore Chamber of Commerce in February.

At the time, chamber president Naomi Yamamoto called for improvements to transportation infrastructure to better the links between North and West Vancouver and provide jobs in the dwindling economy.

According to government documents, the North Shore handled more than 35 per cent of the cargo coming through the Port of Vancouver in 2007. The cargo was valued at more than $7.7 billion. The same document states North Shore terminals generate an estimated 12,300 jobs in the province, earning more than $600 million in wages each year.

http://www2.canada.com/northshorenews/news/story.html?id=b19a6077-9917-4be1-b6cf-4c48c1941824&p=1

Is this going to affect the road through the reservation at all? I'd assume so if there's going to be a new bridge over the Capliano. I drive that road to get anywhere and that intersection in the reserve is the only thing stopping it from being a super fast route.

LeftCoaster
Mar 31, 2009, 9:26 PM
I doubt it, I hate that intersection with a passion but I don't think I've ever seen a truck there.

CBeats
Mar 31, 2009, 9:41 PM
wow, a new bridge across the cap river would be awesome. anyone know where it would begin and end though? it is below the cap river bridge for sure, but if it's below the park royal access bridge from the native reserve, then where does it go? they'll have to remove those motor homes or something...

maybe i just don't understand where exactly this new road is going?

fever
Apr 1, 2009, 1:59 AM
Next to the tracks... http://www.squamish.net/files/PDF/IR5_Page_3-14.pdf

Rusty Gull
Apr 1, 2009, 2:41 AM
Seems to be this has been under-reported -- outside of the community papers. We are talking about a potential highway running across the North Shore.

Gateway North, anyone?

fever
Apr 1, 2009, 2:49 AM
No. These are mostly rail grade-separation projects.

The Capilano bridge project is an extension of the arterial road that services the port. It doesn't do anything for the port, though, because the port is accessed from the east. I think it should be considered separately as a regular municipal arterial route.

Pinion
Apr 1, 2009, 3:50 AM
I want a gateway north. :( Actually it still sounds pretty good after reading that pdf - it'll be a real Low Level road extension through the reserve. Definitely not just roads for the ports. Still wondering exactly where it'll join Marine in West Van though. Squeeze between HomeSense and the fields?

PS On a related North Shore note, I finally created a thread for the Pier development: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=4170248#post4170248

thedjraw
Apr 2, 2009, 5:43 AM
Sorry didn't know where to post this... but has anyone else heard of this?!

WV to get Rushmore-like sculpture

'Premier attraction' set for Eagleridge

James Weldon, North Shore News
Published: Wednesday, April 01, 2009

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii149/thedjraw/westvanmountrushmore.jpg

WEST Vancouver could soon be a major tourist destination if a tentative plan by the province to create an imposing public artwork on an exposed rock face at Eagleridge Bluffs goes ahead.

The project would see an 11-storey "Spirit Sculpture," broadly modelled after South Dakota's Mount Rushmore, appear on the mountainside above the new Hwy. 99 connector near Horseshoe Bay.

Planners with the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Arts tabled a final draft of the proposal at a closed-door meeting earlier this month, according to documents obtained by the North Shore News.

The idea is to create construction jobs in the short term and to draw tourism dollars to the region on a permanent basis. "The aim here is to enhance the North Shore's natural beauty," said a ministry official, speaking on condition of anonymity. "It's hard to imagine a better way to do that than through sculpture."

While details have not been finalized, the leading proposal envisions a series of four large granite busts arranged side-by-side across a 140-metre stretch of mountainside, carved in the likeness of notable provincial premiers.

The project's cost has been pegged at $100 million, and is expected to balloon from there. The money will come from infrastructure funds released recently by the province as part of its economic stimulus package. While giant granite faces are not traditionally considered infrastructure, the Ministry of Finance was willing to make an exception.

"It's not important whether it's useful or not," said the spokesman. "What's important is it's shovel-ready."

Behind the scenes lobbying by VANOC and Tourism Vancouver on behalf of the regional attraction has resulted in the City of Vancouver once again guaranteeing to cover any cost overrun.

By short-cutting the usual environmental approvals and community consultations, the government expects to be able to start work as early as this spring -- before the final four subjects have been selected.

It appears planners are leaning away from historical figures, such as founding premier John Foster McCreight, due to their relative obscurity.

"With all due respect, this isn't a monument to nobodies," said the official. "And then we've had some real wack jobs running British Columbia over the years."

Consequently, the contenders are contemporary leaders of renown. Glen Clark, Ujjal Dosanjh and the current premier, Gordon Campbell, make up the tentative shortlist.

Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon was apparently considered for inclusion because of his championing of the Eagleridge connector and the location of the sculpture. According to the official, Falcon was ultimately dropped because "he's not technically a premier."

The province's dearth of recognizable leaders may explain the draft drawing that sees Gordon Campbell pencilled in twice in order to "balance" the inclusion of two NDP premiers.

"That's certainly the plan favoured by the administration," said the official. "Designers are thinking one in profile and one head-on, similar to a mugshot."
When the project was first proposed, planners had tabled a number of non-human alternatives. A plan to depict a wild salmon was dropped for fear of protestors defacing the sculpture by adding lice, and the idea of creating an orca was discarded when it was found VANOC held the copyright on marine mammals.

A spokeswoman for the organizing committee, speaking off the record, suggested they might be able to get money out of it anyway. "I won't bore you with the legal complexities, but essentially we've patented mountains," she said.

In response to concerns around the esthetic impacts of the project, the provincial official pointed to the work underway on the Hwy. 99 connector. "Let's be honest," he said. "It can't get any worse."

The monument, already being touted as "West Vancouver's premier attraction," is slated for completion one year from today: April 1, 2010.

phesto
Apr 2, 2009, 5:55 AM
"Designers are thinking one in profile and one head-on, similar to a mugshot."

Lol.

johnjimbc
Apr 2, 2009, 6:25 AM
Sounds rather April Foolish to me ;).

Did anyone see the 24 Today, with the announcement of a study that the Inukshuk along English Bay was leaching arsenic, with the scientist calling for tearing it down and cordoning off the area until Apr 1 2010. Ingenious April Fools at its best, managing to poke fun at The Olympic Games, Vancouver's "green" image, and even the adoption of First Nations symbols for mass consumption all at the same time.

Very well done.

twoNeurons
Apr 2, 2009, 4:36 PM
Argh! The West Vancouver one was obvious... but I obviously didn't read in between the lines when it came to the Inukshuk!

VERY clever.

officedweller
Apr 2, 2009, 8:04 PM
Sounds rather April Foolish to me ;).

Did anyone see the 24 Today, with the announcement of a study that the Inukshuk along English Bay was leaching arsenic, with the scientist calling for tearing it down and cordoning off the area until Apr 1 2010. Ingenious April Fools at its best, managing to poke fun at The Olympic Games, Vancouver's "green" image, and even the adoption of First Nations symbols for mass consumption all at the same time.

Very well done.

Sh*t - that one actually fooled me!

CBeats
Apr 2, 2009, 9:58 PM
OK good thing this is an April Fool's joke, because it's so impossible in so many ways . . . . . . I can't even describe how ridiculous it is. :jester:
I thought someone had to be :drunk: to imagine this.

Great fun though. I especially like the part where Campbell was pencilled in twice to fill gaps, and how protesters could potentially put fake lice on the salmon hahaha

Xrayal
Jul 3, 2009, 5:10 AM
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.vancouversun.com/technology/massive+wind+turbine+installed+grouse+mountain/1737717/1737721.bin?size=620x400
From the Vancouver Sun June 26th

METRO VANCOUVER - A heavy-lift helicopter will be used early next week to fly the pieces of a massive industrial wind turbine — a first for Metro Vancouver — to the top of the Olympic Express chairlift at Grouse Mountain.

Three 37-metre blades — as long as three city buses and big enough to be visible from parts of Vancouver — have been shipped by freighter from Denmark and are being transferred to a barge to be positioned in Indian Arm.

The 65-metre main tower is coming from Anacortes, Wash. A Sikorsky S-64 helicopter has been chartered from Canadian Air-Crane of Delta to conduct the operation.

Situated at an elevation of 4,100 feet or 1,230 metres, the turbine is expected to meet 20 per cent of the ski resort’s power needs. Tourists will be able to ride an elevator inside the tower to a viewing area 58 metres off the ground.

The turbine is not without controversy.

North Vancouver district council narrowly approved the project, which is too small to warrant a provincial environmental assessment process, in a 4-3 vote last October, with Mayor Richard Walton in favour.

Issues debated included noise, esthetics, and impact on wildlife. The peregrine falcon and seven species of bat are among the creatures that could be impacted by the turbine.

Grouse Mountain’s website notes birds could be at “high” risk in cloudy and foggy conditions.

Grouse Mountain spokesman Chris Dagenai described the three white fibreglass composite blades as “astronomically large” but insisted any wildlife impact would be nominal. Staff will conduct daily monitoring and shut down the blades as necessary.

He argued in an interview that wind turbines are a badly needed form of alternative energy, and that global warming from reliance on fossil fuels has a greater impact on the natural world than the wind turbine will.

“It’s meant to be an iconic symbol for Vancouver, educational and inspirational and something that gives people hope for alternative energy in Vancouver,” he said of the turbine.

The facility, with a maximum generating capacity of 1.5 megawatts, should be built by August or September and producing power in early 2010. Costs of the project is not being released.

Dagenai said that in Vancouver, the turbine would be most visible from Locarno Beach and Point Grey.

lpynn@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

WINDY CITY

Grouse Mountain is getting set to welcome the delivery of three 37-metre wind turbine blades. The equipment is expected to be barged through Indian Arm today, and flown via helicopter up the mountain on Friday. A planned commercial wind turbine will eventually feature an observation deck at 58 m.

Blurb doesn't seem to have an author.

I thought this project needed mentioning, it's unique and controversial.

Smooth
Jul 9, 2009, 7:45 PM

I know this is real old now but I came across this location a few months ago and have been meaning to post it here. It's in an alley that runs east-west between 1st and Esplanade just west of Lonsdale. I think there's a kickboxing gym that shares the same building that faces 1st.

Smooth
Jul 9, 2009, 7:57 PM
From yesterday's North Shore News...

Council OKs Seylynn Village zoning
Big development gets unanimous support; council wants traffic plan

Sarah Ripplinger
North Shore News

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

A massive housing development in Lower Lynn is set for final approval after receiving unanimous support from District of North Vancouver council Monday night.

"I think it is an iconic achievement for an alternative housing project that includes quite a number of different benefits that we haven't offered elsewhere in the community," said Coun. Mike Little.

Seylynn Village rezoning and development bylaws passed second and third reading after receiving many words of support from members of council.

"This Seylynn project was embraced by the community, by the residents who live there now and (who) were amenable to selling their houses and seeing the revitalization," said Coun. Alan Nixon.

He added that the district should be careful to not allow another area of the community to reach such a state of disrepair that residents are eager to get out and have their home redeveloped.

In an impassioned speech to council, Coun. Lisa Muri said that she doesn't want to see the single-family neighbourhoods in Seymour, Lynn Valley and Capilano threatened by densification, but she does support the densification of certain areas if it means the creation of more sustainable and affordable housing.

"I'm glad that we're actually looking at affordable housing," she said. "I think it's the right decision."

Final approval will allow the previously single-family residential area located north of Fern Street between Mountain Highway and Hwy. 1 to be rezoned for multi-family and commercial complexes with reduced parking. The Seylynn Village site will include 690 units of housing, 70 of which will be dedicated to affordable rental units for low-to-middle income individuals.

Council approved a slight increase in the number of parking spaces assigned to the 620 market housing units, from 903 stalls to a total of 919 residential and visitor parking spaces, or 1.2 spaces per unit.

Coun. Roger Bassam said he continues to have concerns about increased traffic congestion on nearby roads, along with people visiting residents and commercial establishments on the property running out of places to park. But, he said the area is "due for an upgrade and this is the right project for it."

Several councillors called for a firm transportation and public access plan to be in place before construction gets underway.

Nixon said he doesn't want to see pedestrian and road traffic overly disrupted over the approximate decade or so that it will take to complete the redevelopment.

The Ministry of Transportation has rejected the district's request to reopen the old Keith Road ramp that leads onto Hwy. 1 in order to ease traffic congestion.

Staff will continue to work with the ministry to find another possible solution to keep the many trucks and construction vehicles going to and from the site to a minimum, including possible lane changes and construction phasing, according to planning development manager Jennifer Paton.

Coun. Doug MacKay-Dunn requested that staff report back to council with updates on the traffic management process "because this," he said, "is a serious community concern."
http://www2.canada.com/northshorenews/news/story.html?id=35b60c7c-3837-46df-8468-f4874cb25f6c

jozero
Jul 10, 2009, 5:37 AM
It's in an alley that runs east-west between 1st and Esplanade just west of Lonsdale.

Yep ! I went in, owner sounds eastern European, its an old school wood working shop. He said he could custom build basically anything out of wood.

New magazine shop set to open next to Starbucks at seabus entrance at the Quay. Its currently under construction. Depending on its actual magazine selection versus convenience store stuff it could impact the cramped magazine store already in the Quay.

... still holding out for a bookstore down here in lower lonsdale. I'm sure bookwarehouse is being effected by the new library, move down here !

Not sure but it appears Boston Pizza will be on the top floor of the new building at Esplanade and Chesterfield next to the movie theater. There are several bays below that can hold other businesses - unless it all ends up being a bank.

Oh yes, not in lower lonsdale but about 13th and lonsdale a high end ...... ready for this .... fruit and nut place opened up. The presentation inside is like a persian market from the 1600s !

martinishaker
Jul 10, 2009, 6:15 AM
Does anyone know what is being built just East of Capilano Mall. It looks like a Save-On foods and a bunch of other retail.

Pinion
Jul 10, 2009, 8:16 AM
From yesterday's North Shore News...

http://www2.canada.com/northshorenews/news/story.html?id=35b60c7c-3837-46df-8468-f4874cb25f6c

Good to hear... that neighbourhood is worse than a lot of the slummy areas of east Van.

Distill3d
Jul 10, 2009, 8:32 AM
... still holding out for a bookstore down here in lower lonsdale. I'm sure bookwarehouse is being effected by the new library, move down here !

Keep dreaming, the 15 and Lonsdale location seems to be doing very well for itself. Always looks busy, even before closing time.

Not sure but it appears Boston Pizza will be on the top floor of the new building at Esplanade and Chesterfield next to the movie theater. There are several bays below that can hold other businesses - unless it all ends up being a bank.

Which building is this one?

Oh yes, not in lower lonsdale but about 13th and lonsdale a high end ...... ready for this .... fruit and nut place opened up. The presentation inside is like a persian market from the 1600s !

Not a bad little place either, close to the Persian meat, and the fresh fruit and veggie store. Certainly those two places, are accented well by Ayoubs (not sure of the spelling) being there. It pains me to think that if they renovated that Safeway, these little stores would be out of business.

srperrycgy
Jul 12, 2009, 5:54 AM
Not a bad little place either, close to the Persian meat, and the fresh fruit and veggie store. Certainly those two places, are accented well by Ayoubs (not sure of the spelling) being there. It pains me to think that if they renovated that Safeway, these little stores would be out of business.

I was impressed by the presentation at this place as well when I walked along Lonsdale a couple of weeks ago. Safeway....not so much.

jozero
Jul 14, 2009, 10:48 PM
The Boston Pizza building is at the corner of Chesterfield and Esplanade. Its under construction but moving along quickly.

I posted this in the lower lonsdale thread, but it seems more appropriate here :

Any further info on the concert properties proposal for the North Shore's west waterfront ? I'm thrilled a developer is at least proposing this. The current 'use' of that part of the shore is simply a horror. It could be absolutely tremendous if medium density living extended to that part of North Vancouver. Its currently a planning disaster on prime property with car dealers, a school, a spa and chunks of empty land sitting on stunning waterfront property. It would also give the proposed street car a place to go from lower lonsdale.

http://www2.canada.com/northshorenew...9-fb4335866281

Distill3d
Jul 15, 2009, 1:07 AM
I was impressed by the presentation at this place as well when I walked along Lonsdale a couple of weeks ago. Safeway....not so much.

Having just moved away from the area, it won't affect me much, but I heard a rumor about Safeway selling off the location soon anyways. That was about 2 months ago when I was talking to one of the store managers there. Not sure if there is any actual fruition to that or not. I could see more condo's going up though. If it is true, that means that the IGA on Esplande will be the only supermarket grocer in the area.

CameronT120
Jul 31, 2009, 4:17 AM
Extra Foods is still around.

Locked In
Aug 8, 2009, 2:14 AM
Federal government sits on $117 million worth of prime toxic land

Squamish Nation hopes to develop it but first it must be cleaned up, and that's where the problem starts

By David Karp, Vancouver Sun - August 6, 2009

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.vancouversun.com/technology/federal+government+sits+million+worth+prime+toxic+land/1865289/1867424.bin
The bare land has been cleaned up. The next area to work on is in the treed area to the right.
Photograph by: Bill Keay, Vancouver Sun

METRO VANCOUVER — It's prime waterfront land in North Vancouver worth well over $100 million. But it's not teeming with overpriced condos and luxury townhomes. It's sitting empty.

The federal government has a long-term lease on the 22-hectare property with the Squamish First Nation. But the land is seriously contaminated, with complex legal battles brewing over who is responsible for the cleanup.

In 1974, the federal government signed a 71-year lease with the Squamish. It wanted to build a Pacific Environment Centre and coast guard base on the site, just to the east of the Lions Gate Bridge.

But changing government priorities meant the government cancelled those plans, leaving the land vacant. Then, in the mid-1990s, the government made a disturbing discovery: the land was toxic with heavy metals.

A MESSY BATTLE

Over the last 35 years, the federal government has spent $124 million of taxpayer's money on its lease with the Squamish First Nation. It has spent another $31 million cleaning up the property. But despite numerous warnings and political commitments over the years, the land is still contaminated and unusable.

It took the federal auditor-general three years to point out that the land was sitting vacant. In 1984, the auditor-general flagged the problem a second time, and recommended an alternative use for the land.

In 1988, the auditor-general again brought the problem to the attention of Parliament, noting, "The Bureau of Real Property Management ... is now coordinating the efforts of the departments involved to expedite examination of the alternatives and an early resolution of the matter."

Tests in 1995 and 1996 determined that the land was toxic, rendering it impossible to develop even if the government could find a use for it. Since then, there have been many promises to clean up the land.

In 2005, then-environment minister Stephane Dion told CTV, "We have made a lot of progress to the point where today I may say, give us three to five years and we will make the site usable."

Conservative candidate Cindy Silver made the cleanup an election issue in North Vancouver in 2005. Peter Krahn, who was in charge of the site for Environment Canada for years, made it an election issue again in 2007 when he ran for the Conservatives.

But despite the numerous political commitments to clean up the land, the site is still a mess, caught up in a tangled web of court cases and finger-pointing.

The issue stems from the Vancouver Wharves site, a cargo terminal next door to the Pacific Environment Centre lands.

Most of the Vancouver Wharves site is not on the property leased by the federal government. However, when it took over the site in 1974, the government subleased a 10-acre portion of its Pacific Environment Centre land to Vancouver Wharves.

In 1993, BC Rail purchased the Vancouver Wharves operation, acquiring the sublease with the federal government in the process. The Crown corporation used the subleased portion of the lands as a rail yard for trains that transport ore.

The federal government alleges that ore spilled during the loading and unloading of those trains, resulting in contamination of the Pacific Environment Centre land. In 2002, the federal government launched a civil court case against BC Rail and Vancouver Wharves, seeking damages for the contamination. In 2004, the federal government launched another court case, attempting to evict BC Rail from the chunk of land it was subleasing.

"Spillage of ore concentrates has caused contamination of the shallow soil all along the rail lines and in other areas," Stanley Feenstra, a hydrogeologist from Ontario, wrote in an expert report submitted to B.C. Supreme Court.

"Soil quality criteria for commercial/industrial lands ... were exceeded in every shallow soil sample ... and were exceeded by factors of 100 times to 4,200 times for many of the samples. Soil quality criteria for lead, cadmium, antimony, arsenic, cadmium, molybdenum and selenium were exceeded also in many samples."

Officials at BC Rail declined to comment on the allegations.

"It is probably one of the most costly [federal sites in B.C.] to clean up. I'm not sure if I could say it's one of the most hazardous," said Vic Enns, Environment Canada's remediation manager for the Pacific Environment Centre site.

The 2004 case was settled out of court in August 2007, with BC Rail agreeing to vacate the Pacific Environment Centre site in June of this year and pay an undisclosed sum to the federal government for rent. The parties are scheduled to return to court in February 2010 to address any remaining issues.

But the 2002 case over who should pay for the cleanup is still unresolved.

According to BC Rail's 2007 financial statements, the parties reached an agreement in principle in February 2008. "The [agreement] will form the basis of the negotiations of a final agreement that is to be negotiated over the next 12 months," the documents said.

But 12 months have come and gone, and no settlement has been reached. Officials with Environment Canada refused to comment on the delay. BC Rail corporate secretary Shelley Westerhout Hardman would only say, "The date for concluding a final agreement was extended by mutual agreement. As for the reasons, the matter is before the courts and ... BC Rail will not be commenting further."

The legal action appears to be preventing open dialogue about the site.

"There's a court action, and everyone is going to choose their words very carefully," said Squamish First Nation Chief Gibby Jacob. "When it comes to legal activities, everyone is told, 'The less you say, the better -- especially to reporters.'"

One thing is certain, however. The government has spent $3.9 million on legal costs so far, and that number can be expected to rise as the fight continues.

SMALL STEPS FORWARD

However, some progress with the cleanup has been made. In 2007, with BC Rail looking to unload assets, the Vancouver Wharves site changed hands. Texas-based Kinder Morgan, a publicly traded energy transportation company, signed a 40-year lease for the site with BCR Properties Ltd., a subsidiary of BC Rail.

The agreement cost Kinder Morgan $40 million and required it to take on "unspecified liabilities," The Vancouver Sun reported in 2007.

Kinder Morgan's lease covered the main Vancouver Wharves site, as well as the small subleased portion on the Pacific Environment Centre land. However, with the sublease expiring in June as a result of the 2004 court case between the federal government and BC Rail, Kinder Morgan has been building a new rail yard with modern environmental controls.

"There is a containment area that's been installed. This is a new piece of rail that is replacing the old piece of rail ... [so we can] move off the Pacific Environment Centre site," said Lexa Hobenshield, manager of external relations for Kinder Morgan.

"Technology and care for the environment have come a long way since the site was originally installed. We're using the latest environmental standards to do that work."

Kinder Morgan signed a 10-year agreement in December with multinational consulting firm Arcadis. The company will assist Kinder Morgan in cleaning up the contamination on the main Vancouver Wharves site. However, Hobenshield stressed that Kinder Morgan would not be involved in any cleanup of the federal government land, including the subleased rail yard it inherited from BC Rail.

There has also been progress on the government's end. In 2007, Environment Canada spent $500,000 to clean up 1.2 hectares of the 22-hectare property. However, it was an area with some of the shallowest soil contamination on the site. The cleaned-up area is fenced off from the rest of the property to ensure it doesn't become contaminated again.

"That's the first area on the property that has actually been taken completely to the final cleanup stage," Enns said. "As it becomes vegetated, it will become used like other wild spots along Burrard Inlet. Used not by people, but by critters -- birds and small things can get in there. But we just want to keep people out for now."

The federal government has also remediated two other, smaller areas on the site.

WATCHING AND WAITING

The Squamish First Nation has been patiently watching the federal government's actions. When asked if he was happy with the progress the government has made, Chief Jacob chose his words carefully.

"Happy is subjective," he said. "I'll acknowledge the work that has been done to date. I think there are probably not a lot of options that were available other than what they've done.

"They are doing an awful lot of work," Jacob said. "They've made the site like a Swiss cheese, identifying where all the hot spots are, and taking very good steps."

The federal government has presented the first nation with a plan for cleaning up the land, but neither the federal government nor the Squamish Nation would provide details. When asked if the Squamish would help pay for the cleanup, Jacob replied, "Absolutely not."

"All I can say is that we'll hold everybody's feet to the fire on this," Jacob said. "The issue is between Environment Canada and BC Rail right now, and as such, we're best to leave it in their hands. If we are not satisfied at the end of the day, then we'll look at all of our alternatives. Certainly, our dog isn't in this fight right now."

Enns sees a different picture.

"I don't think anyone is sitting back, personally. The key parties are all very engaged at trying to bring this to a conclusion," he said.

So far, the Squamish have been patient. After all, it is a 71-year lease. But the Squamish want to develop the land when the lease ends in 2045 -- or earlier, if the land gets cleaned up and Environment Canada negotiates an early end to the lease.

The first nation's Capilano Master Plan has the Pacific Environment Centre site pegged for high-density residential development such as highrise apartments.

"We're always looking at development. We're a nation of land developers," Jacob said. "Right now, we have nothing firm, but obviously we're not going to let such valuable land sit there fallow. We will want to develop that at some point."

Enns estimates it will take about five years to clean up the land, once a full-scale cleanup starts. That doesn't include years of monitoring that must take place after the cleanup is complete to ensure no spots were missed. However, no one is actually willing to put a time line on when the full-scale cleanup will start.

"There are some important stakeholders, like the Squamish, who have to have input into [the cleanup]," Enns said. "And until we complete those discussions, we won't be able to give a definite time frame."

Enns chuckled when asked if the cleanup will ever get done. "Definitely," he said. "It will get done."

In the meantime, the Squamish will continue to receive hefty lease payments on the land. The payments are renegotiated every five years based on the land's market value, and the two sides are in discussions over the rent for the next five years. The last appraisal of the land's value was conducted in 2004, pegging it at $117.6 million.

The lease payments are a significant source of revenue for the Squamish. The money goes into the Squamish Nation's general revenues, and also helps fund a $1,000 payment made each year to every member of the first nation.

Until the land is cleaned up, the federal government will continue to hand over cheques to the Squamish without receiving anything except the use of an empty, toxic chunk of land in return.

But down the road, if the land isn't cleaned up, the government will have a fight on its hands with the Squamish.

"We've fought many battles ... so we've been out there protecting our land and trying to get it cleaned up," Jacob said. "We don't sit back and wait for others to tell us what to do. We get out and be very proactive on it."

dkarp@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Source: Vancouver Sun (http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Federal+government+sits+million+worth+prime+toxic+land/1865289/story.html)

Smooth
Oct 26, 2009, 12:36 AM
Seylynn Village now fully approved
DNV council unanimously OKs bylaws Monday

Benjamin Alldritt
North Shore News

Sunday, October 25, 2009

THE Seylynn Village project completed its 3* year journey through the District of North Vancouver's approval process Monday night, clearing the way for work to start on the 690-unit development some time next year.

Mayor and council voted unanimously to adopt the slate of six bylaws that authorize building to go forward.

Dozens of supporters turned out to council chambers to cheer the final green light, even though a final adoption vote is usually a formality after development bylaws pass third reading, as the Seylynn bylaws did July 8.

The four-tower project, nestled between Fern Street and Hwy. 1, just east of Mountain Highway, was first brought before the district in the spring of 2006. Stephen Hynes pitched his plan as an environmentally friendly, mixed-use development that would revitalize a neighbourhood still fractured by the construction of the Trans-Canada Highway through it in 1961.

While the proposal drew early support from community groups, concerns over traffic patterns, spot zoning, and the amount of new density lingered throughout the process. The district amended the official community plan in February of 2008 on a 5-2 vote, with Couns. Mike Little and Lisa Muri dissenting.

At the time, both councillors said the plans, which include 70 affordable housing units and a raft of community amenities, were impressive, but they balked at placing 690 new units so close to an already-snarled highway entrance ramp.

But several traffic studies and continued community backing eventually won over Muri and Little, who both voted in favour of the rezoning bylaws in July and again on Monday.

Transportation issues remain a concern, however, and district staff are still in talks with the Ministry of Transportation over highway access from Seylynn Village.

"We're really grateful and pleased," said Mark Sager, of Hynes Development, after the meeting. "It's been very rewarding to have this level of community support. The process was a good one. It was very thorough and professionally handled. The district did a very good job for its citizens, which is their responsibility."

Hynes and his colleagues will now start work on their detailed design drawings, which will also have to navigate a municipal approval process.

"So some of this is out of our control," Sager said. "But in a perfect world, it would be nice to see shovels in the ground next summer."

http://www2.canada.com/northshorenews/news/story.html?id=47fb15cb-06bc-4023-9841-4264c302698f

CameronT120
Nov 1, 2009, 8:02 PM
For those of you who don't already, I'd encourage participation in Barry Forward's blog:

http://northvancouverpolitics.blogspot.com/

Help us put some of the North Shores most vocal NIMBYs on the hot seat and accountable for their often uninformed statements regarding local development.

Cheers!

Rusty Gull
Nov 1, 2009, 10:25 PM
Speaking of Nimbies: The Esso station at Chesterfield and 3rd has been shut down for good. The site is surrounded by fencing. I wonder what's next for the site? I would love to see a 40-storey Henriquez on the property, ala Site8.

vansky
Nov 2, 2009, 1:00 AM
u want to kill them? 40 stories...

vansky
Nov 2, 2009, 1:01 AM
i'd be surprised if they ever allow another highrise...