PDA

View Full Version : 2014 World Junior Hockey?

SteelTown
Dec 24, 2008, 12:40 PM
The numbers game
Hosting world juniors becoming too expensive, even for HECFI

December 24, 2008
Garry McKay
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/486466

Is it time Hamilton got back in the game -- the world junior hockey game. The 16,073 who turned out at Copps Coliseum last night in a snowstorm to watch Canada's final exhibition game before the world junior tournament opens in Ottawa on Boxing Day obviously think so.

And Duncan Gillespie, the CEO of Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc. (HECFI), would like to see the city host the tournament again.

There's one big problem.

"I'm not sure the numbers work," he said.

"We even looked at a Hamilton-London-Kitchener bid for this year and we couldn't make the numbers work for us."

Ottawa, which won the bid, had to guarantee a profit of $12.5 million, and Regina and Saskatoon, the hosts for next year, had to put up a similar amount.

"The bidding for this one was insane and was at a level that I just couldn't in all good conscience recommend," Gillespie added.

"If there's a market correction, I think we'd get back in the game."

Gillespie thinks that market correction will happen sooner or later, and when it does he wants HECFI to be ready to go after the tournament again.

That's one of the reasons Gillespie met yesterday with Brent Ladds, president of the Ontario Hockey Association.

The OHA have partnered with Hamilton in the past, including the 1987 world junior hockey championship, which christened Copps Coliseum. Ironically, it was the huge crowds that turned out at that tournament that made it such a hot property, so hot Hamilton may no longer be able to afford it.

Yesterday, Ladds said that if Hamilton decides to go after the tournament again, the OHA would like to be involved.

For the moment, a Hamilton bid to host the world juniors is a bit of a moot point.

Hockey Canada is hosting the tournament this year in Ottawa and took next year's tournament for Regina and Saskatoon when Switzerland pulled out.

The 2011 tournament is being hosted by the United States in Buffalo, while the 2012 event is again back in Canada, and will be split between Calgary and Edmonton.

The 2013 tournament will almost assuredly be held in Europe. That means the earliest the event could be held in Hamilton would be 2014.

Hockey Canada, which controls the Canadian hosting of the tournament, hasn't even considered whether to go after it.

If they do, however, there's little doubt Hamilton will be asked if it is interested in bidding.

"Hamilton is on our radar and I'm sure we're on theirs," said Scott Smith, COO of Hockey Canada.

HECFI will be asking Hockey Canada to bring a pre- tournament game to Copps Coliseum prior to the 2011 tournament in Buffalo, Gillespie said.

Berklon
Dec 24, 2008, 3:53 PM
16,000+ attendance in bad weather to watch a Canadian Junior exhibition game against Slovakia. That's very impressive.

go_leafs_go02
Dec 24, 2008, 6:13 PM
Does this show that maybe Hamilton could better support an OHL team compared to the AHL Bulldogs?

I was impressed, a full Copps Coliseum for a hockey game. Sure it was a one-time event, but still..an exhibition game.

I think that the bulldogs easily could average 7-8,000 a game if they lowered ticket prices. Games I've gone to (last season) were downright depressing. the bulldogs always lost, I had tickets to seats that literally were in the middle of nowhere, and the general atmosphere was weak.

well done on last night's game. I kind of hoped to go, but I didn't. 16,000+..Well Done. Well Done.

Berklon
Dec 24, 2008, 10:48 PM
Hamilton had an OHL team (the Steelhawks) but it wasn't supported well and moved to Niagara Falls. Although we hosted the Memorial Cup in '90 - which set attendance records with 17,000+.

This city is more interested in a professional sports team (NHL) - anything less than that and it'll get little support. However we do seem to love our national teams. The World Junior Championships in '86 set attendance records and was just incredible the amount of excitement in the arena for those games. And of course there's the infamous Canada Cup in '87 and it did great in hosting some games in '91 as well.