PDA

View Full Version : HSR - New rider appreciation Program

mic67
Dec 16, 2008, 5:08 AM
Being new to hamilton ( about 1 year now) I have what is called my tourist days - days or partial days where I get to know more about hamilton. The HSR plays apart in that, I pick a route and go loop to loop. "A tourist from Hamilton in Hamilton.

Well one day while downtown at the MacNab loop I saw the bayfront bus #4 - I think and I stopped to look at that bus and a group of drivers asked me if I needed some assistance. I said that I am new to Hamilton - a tourist for the day and was thinking of taking the bayfront bus. They said well it goes mostly to the industrial areas - I said "perfect". So I went to the end of the loop and part way back taking some pictures along the way, it was a nice day and a pleasant driver.

After that and a few other postive experiences with HSR drivers, I decided to create the HSR new rider appreication program. I went out and bought about 2 dozen LED keychain flashlights as gifts - and depending on the attitude and/or helpfulness of the driver they get awarded when I disembark. And it is usually the same reaction - a stuned look. Basically I tell them it is part of the HSR new rider appreciation program......

So far my experience is that the HSR 'rocks' in general (except on sundays) and compared to the TTC (toronto transit commission).

mic67

matt602
Dec 16, 2008, 1:21 PM
Cool, HSR drivers certainly don't get enough appreciation.

FairHamilton
Dec 16, 2008, 1:57 PM
I love it!!! A truly great idea.

And I agree my HSR experiences have been way better than my past TTC experiences.

sofasurfer
Dec 17, 2008, 2:13 PM
Gotta say that during my first few weeks in Hamilton, the vast majority of HSR drivers were great (I think only one was surly and generally unhelpful - thankfully seemed to be an aberration).

astroblaster
Dec 17, 2008, 3:25 PM
i can't recall having a driver be anything but helpful and pleasant to me

great idea

mic67
Dec 26, 2008, 12:31 PM
http://torontoist.com/2008/12/hey_are_they_going_far_yeah_man_the.php

The youtube video of/on the TTC....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Ky7dQLuNg

TTC aka Take The Car

or

Take The Cab

mic67

mic67
May 2, 2009, 8:34 PM
Update

The HSR New Rider appreciation Program is still in effect, and has been expanded to the Bus Go service.

The gifts are based on many factors:
helpfulness, politeness, driving skills, personality? and sometimes for no specific reason other than to make someones day.

mic67

mic67
Jul 25, 2009, 2:11 AM
Well the HSR New Rider Program is still in effect. Gave out another prize today on the Barton line, I liked the drivers skills - though I didnt tell him that. I just said that not everyone gets a prize. I havent really kept track but it must be up to 40+ gifts so far and always looking for more quality affordable - practical gifts to keep in my travels.

Oh ya he did say that after being in Ham. for 1 1/2 years I am not a new rider....well I havent met all the drivers nor taken all the routes yet.....

The HSR ROCKS and the TTC sucks and blows....at the sametime !!!

Mic67

realcity
Jul 25, 2009, 2:22 AM
what?

mic67
Jul 25, 2009, 2:24 AM
What?

Huh?