PDA

View Full Version : City manager Judy Rogers fired

mr.x
Dec 12, 2008, 7:41 PM
Vancouver city manager Rogers dismissed

December 12, 2008 11:20 AM

VANCOUVER - Less than a week after Gregor Robertson took over as mayor, Vancouver city manager Judy Rogers has been dismissed and Dr. Penny Ballem has been hired in her place.

On Friday morning, after an emergency council meeting, Robertson announced that Rogers was leaving the city after 25 years – the last 10 as Vancouver’s top bureaucrat.

The departure creates the first crisis for Robertson’s Vision/COPE-dominated council, even before it has had a chance to deal with problems left over from the last administration.

Robertson said council's decision, effective immediately, supports the new Council's agenda for change at City Hall, and that Rogers is working cooperatively to ensure an orderly and principled transition.

"Judy Rogers has made an enormous contribution to the City of Vancouver over the course of her 20-year career here. She built a talented and dedicated professional team over the years, and she has worked hard to help make Vancouver the great city it is today. I wish her the very best as she moves forward in her career," Robertson said.

Today the newly-minted council – which was sworn in Tuesday - was to be given an in-camera briefing on the details behind the last council’s decision to give a $100-million loan guarantee to Millennium Development, the embattled and cash-short company building the $1 billion Athletes Village on False Creek.

Instead, they were informed that Rogers is gone.

The loan became public earlier this year after someone leaked a confidential briefing to a newspaper columnist. The loan and the leak became a major election issue that many believe helped to end a Non-Partisan Association domination of council.

In one of its last acts, the last council hired lawyer Richard Peck to investigate how a briefing book belonging to Peter Ladner, the NPA mayoral candidate, disappeared from an in-camera briefing.

That leak, the loan guarantee and a bitter three-month civic strike last year all presented trouble for Rogers. In the middle of the strike she issued a confidential memo to staff suggesting that the unions were less interested in settling contracts than in using the strike to defeat the NPA in the next election.

In the days after Robertson’s union-backed Vision Vancouver won a sweeping majority, there were rumours that Rogers’ days were numbered. It was clear that she didn’t enjoy the same confidence from some Vision/COPE members that she did from the NPA.

Rogers, 59, is one of two city appointees to the Vancouver Organizing Committee. The other is businessman Jeff Mooney. She is also chairwoman of 2010 LegaciesNow, a society that promotes legacies flowing from the Olympic Games. It is unclear whether Rogers will also resign from LegaciesNow.

Rogers took over as city manager in 1998 when her mentor Ken Dobell went to work for the Greater Vancouver Transit Authority before moving over to the provincial government. She has enjoyed a close working relationship with Dobell and Premier Gordon Campbell, a former Vancouver mayor.

jefflee@vancouversun.com

obscurantist
Dec 12, 2008, 11:17 PM
Unfortunately, the precedent for city managers being identified with one particular party or political leader was set a while ago. Remember Ken Dobell? Whatever happened to him? ;-)

In that light, Vision seems to be anticipating the most obvious criticism of its actions by hiring a former senior deputy minister under the BC Liberals as Rogers’ replacement. True, Ballem quit suddenly as deputy health minister in order to protest Gordon Campbell’s way of doing things. But she’s hardly an NDP hack.

Jasper and one o nin
Dec 12, 2008, 11:24 PM
http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2007/06/former_ottawa_o.html

ravman
Dec 13, 2008, 1:46 AM
Go Gregor Go!!!

raggedy13
Dec 13, 2008, 1:46 AM
http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2007/06/former_ottawa_o.html

From what I can see that link has nothing to do with this at all, but I'll leave the post for now in the event that somebody else sees the connection.

ravman
Dec 13, 2008, 4:45 AM
yeah i was wondering the same thing.... funny... Gregor has done more in a few days than gordo has done as mayor or as premier.... well gordo did create the leaky condo crisis ( he eased the restrictions on building codes and thus made it cheaper and thus leaky condos).... well atleast Rogers is gone... betch you she is in victoria banging on the gordo's office as a lobbyist... her and dobell are buddies....and dobell deserves to be in Jail... hopefully Rogers ends up there as well!

Dobell is gone underground... he was already guilty for breaking the law and a major pain to gordo and company.... he is probably getting some fat pension from Gordo as he was once his deputy.... and a Gold medal that Gordo likes to give to people with his name engraved in big letters.... actually its the Premier's personal ego vanity plates aka the Premier's personal bling program

Hourglass
Dec 13, 2008, 7:55 AM
yeah i was wondering the same thing.... funny... Gregor has done more in a few days than gordo has done as mayor or as premier.... well gordo did create the leaky condo crisis ( he eased the restrictions on building codes and thus made it cheaper and thus leaky condos).... well atleast Rogers is gone... betch you she is in victoria banging on the gordo's office as a lobbyist... her and dobell are buddies....and dobell deserves to be in Jail... hopefully Rogers ends up there as well!

Dobell is gone underground... he was already guilty for breaking the law and a major pain to gordo and company.... he is probably getting some fat pension from Gordo as he was once his deputy.... and a Gold medal that Gordo likes to give to people with his name engraved in big letters.... actually its the Premier's personal ego vanity plates aka the Premier's personal bling program

I suppose this is a dumb question given this is in the "Politics" section, but I notice that almost every post you make seem to be political in nature. What's this infatuation with Gordo, anyway? I half expect you to blame him for global warming, the Ebola virus and the coming of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

flight_from_kamakura
Dec 13, 2008, 8:11 PM
^ uh, sorry to correct you on this hourglass, but it's actually a well documented fact that indeed gordo is responsible for the ebola virus.

ckkelley
Dec 13, 2008, 9:43 PM
Yep, it seems there's a new sheriff in town....

^ uh, sorry to correct you on this hourglass, but it's actually a well documented fact that indeed gordo is responsible for the ebola virus.

..and the riots in Greece too, I heard. :yes:

obscurantist
Dec 14, 2008, 9:55 PM
On her blog, Frances Bula (http://www.francesbula.com/?p=775) summarizes some of the comments made so far about Ballem's appointment: Leftoids see Ballem as stunningly competent and not at all a political appointee. ... Others, of course, see it as the completely politicization of the bureaucracy, the lefties bringing in a fellow traveller to do their bidding. Another way to look at it is as a bit of a stunt by Vision.

I don't see any indication that Ballem is a "fellow traveller," and that's probably why Vision picked her, to project this image of, ah, non-partisan professionalism. (I've also heard that Tamara Vrooman, Carole Taylor's deputy finance minister who's now CEO at VanCity, is involved in the new City Hall team, although I don't know the details.)

On the other hand, Ballem's reputation for "stunning competence" could be overrated. She left the public service ostensibly because of disagreements about the premier's office butting into her turf. That could suggest that Ballem is actually quite similar to Rogers in terms of her territoriality, and / or that she knew she would be forced out but arranged to leave first on her own terms.

The last time I can recall a new figure appearing on the City Hall scene, with a reputation as an accomplished civil servant capable of bridging the partisan divide but also unafraid to speak his mind ... well, I know there's no consensus on whether Larry Campbell's term as mayor was a muddle or a glorious success, so I'll leave it to others to decide whether the comparison is a positive one.

Architype
Dec 14, 2008, 10:01 PM
I think political firings are wrong generally. I hope I don't end up being sorry for whom I voted.

I'm not sure yet if party politics belongs in city halls. Does anyone here know if they have party politics in other large Canadian cities?

obscurantist
Dec 15, 2008, 7:08 AM
I'm not sure how much Rogers' firing really was about partisan politics, and how much it was about the perception that the real power at City Hall had become concentrated in the hands of one unelected person who was difficult to work with or for.

But on the issue of party politics at the city level, if memory serves, Toronto doesn't really have parties, while Montreal does. I don't know - sometimes I think some of the recent melodrama and farce of Vancouver city politics can be traced to having organized slates, and sometimes I think it'd be just as wacky without them.

One advantage of slates is that they get people's allegiances out in the open. The alternative is having candidates running as "independents" but being de facto representatives of business or labour, as was the case with most candidates in the last Victoria election (although anyone who followed the election closely enough could figure out who was who). Or you get candidates being endorsed by shadowy organizations with little or no accountability to the public, a practice which is being challenged in West Vancouver (http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=ec7e6b71-9d85-4a64-9e64-532dc6b75f07).