PDA

View Full Version : Highway 102 - Larry Uteck Boulevard Interchange | Completed

Pages : [1] 2

Dmajackson
Dec 3, 2008, 8:16 PM
THis has been in the works for awhile now but it looks like they are starting to move on it;

Councillors Encourage Residents to attend Public Consultation for Interchange at Larry Uteck Boulevard

(Tuesday, December 2, 2008) A public consultation session for a new interchange on Highway 102 (Bicentennial Highway) at Larry Uteck Boulevard, between Kearney Lake Road (Exit 2) and Hammonds Plains Road (Exit 3) is being held December 3, 2008, at 6:00 pm at the Beaubassin School.

The Larry Uteck Interchange is a critical piece of transportation infrastructure which is needed to meet the outcomes of the HRM Regional Plan. It will provide an additional access/egress in Bedford South and Royale Hemlock Estates developments. The interchange will also help reduce congestion on the Bedford Highway and allow for an additional access to/from Highway 102 for motorists traveling this 100 series highway, as well as, the Bedford Highway.

"There has been a great deal of interest and concern about the growing congestion on Bedford Highway," says Councillor Debbie Hum, District 16, Rockingham-Wentworth. "This infrastructure is badly needed and will be greatly appreciated."

A recommended plan has been developed and will be presented at the session. Staff from the Province of Nova Scotia's Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal and the Halifax Regional Municipality will be available to answer questions.

Tim Outhit, Councillor for District 21, Bedford, adds, "We are strongly encouraging people to attend this session. By working together, we can find solutions that will serve all of us well into the future."

When: Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Where: Beaubassin School, 54 Larry Uteck Boulevard, Halifax

Doors open at 6:00 pm, presentation at 6:30 pm and an informal open house from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm.

sdm
Dec 3, 2008, 8:33 PM
About time.

Anyone heard when they plan to fix/upgrade the fairview overpass?

Keith P.
Dec 3, 2008, 10:54 PM
About time.

Anyone heard when they plan to fix/upgrade the fairview overpass?

I heard someone (Gloria McCluskey maybe?) within the last week or two say that it was scheduled for next year.

One hopes it isn't just a replacement of the existing structure but instead addresses things like the hairpin turn exit onto Joe Howe which brings traffic to a stop during busy times. Of course, the logical solution would be an overhead ramp instead, but we all know that won't happen.

As to the 102 interchange, what really needs to be done is to stretch the highway to 3 lanes each way between Bayers Rd and the Kearney Lake Rd, and to build an interchange to Bayers Lake at the location of the Imax to fix the horrible ingress and egress to the BLIP.

Dmajackson
Dec 4, 2008, 1:46 AM
The Bayers Lake Functional Plan calls for something along the lines of a new underpass near Empire and an overpass connecting to Ragged Lake with a half interchange i believe...

In 25 years or so with the massive growth off the 102 and the new 113 the Bi-Hi might start looking like the Circ by Woodland.

Theres a link to the Bayers Lake & Burnside Functional Plans in the Dartmouth Crossing thread if anytbody wants to see them.

Haliguy
Dec 17, 2008, 9:27 PM
Just heard a funding agreement with the fed has been approved for this project and it should be starting soon.

someone123
Dec 17, 2008, 9:55 PM
Planning for Bayers Lake was always a mess. I am guessing the idea for the other entrances was to tie them in with development on the other side of the 102, which is a problem since it is happening 15 years after the big box stores went in.

I guess the idea is to extend that little road that goes nowhere by the theatre under the 102 and then connect it to a completed Regency Park Drive.

Apparently there are also plans for more land to be opened up to the west of the current developed area, maybe by turning the curved part of Chain Lake Dr into an intersection. Maybe it will all connect to the Timberlea side.

As for the Larry Uteck interchange, yes, it's needed. At one point there was some debate over whether or not to allow more development in that area before it is completed. I'm not sure what the verdict was, although it's more fairly classic poor planning.

Dmajackson
Dec 17, 2008, 11:01 PM
Planning for Bayers Lake was always a mess. I am guessing the idea for the other entrances was to tie them in with development on the other side of the 102, which is a problem since it is happening 15 years after the big box stores went in.

I guess the idea is to extend that little road that goes nowhere by the theatre under the 102 and then connect it to a completed Regency Park Drive.

Apparently there are also plans for more land to be opened up to the west of the current developed area, maybe by turning the curved part of Chain Lake Dr into an intersection. Maybe it will all connect to the Timberlea side.

That is exactly what the Business Parks Functional Plan calls for.

As for the Larry Uteck interchange, yes, it's needed. At one point there was some debate over whether or not to allow more development in that area before it is completed. I'm not sure what the verdict was, although it's more fairly classic poor planning.

They actually stopped all development to a limit of 2'000 units for Bedford South until this is funded. Its why the Ravines and Hemlock Ravine are not progressing quickly. Both have reached their limit.

The restrction also affects Bedford West and Southgate Village. For the latter they were actually banned from building any residences until the interchange was funded.

With the funding now approved construction in Bedford South should pick up rapidly. :)

Dmajackson
Dec 18, 2008, 12:41 PM
Heres the article about the funding;

A $50-million boost
Province, feds pony up for paving, bridges
By DAVID JACKSON Provincial Reporter
Thu. Dec 18 - 5:35 AM

Paving projects and bridges will get the bulk of $50 million in federal and provincial funding announced Wednesday.

Much of the work has already been completed or is underway.

For example, paving and safety improvements on 100-series highways were done this summer and fall, upgrading Highway 4 from East Bay to Big Pond has started and is scheduled to be done next year, and three bridge projects are done, another is underway and set for completion next year, and another will be tendered in 2009.

Some of the money comes from the $25 million in infrastructure funding that Ottawa has allotted to each provinceannually until 2014.

The province matches that money, plus Halifax Regional Municipality is kicking in about $6 million for some projects in the municipality, including an interchange connecting Highway 102 to Larry Uteck Boulevard in Bedford and another new interchange on Highway 101 at Beaver Bank.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay, on behalf of federal Infrastructure Minister John Baird, said investing in infrastructure helps the economy.

"Today’s infrastructure news is a testament to the Government of Canada’s commitment to help the province and Canada meet its pressing infrastructure needs and priorities," Mr. MacKay said at a Halifax news conference.The announcement came the day after Mr. Baird was in Halifax talking to provincial ministers and municipal leaders from Atlantic Canada about how to get more federal infrastructure cash flowing.

Many government leaders have said infrastructure spending would be an effective stimulus in the sagging economy.

Nova Scotia wants its connector roads to be eligible for federal funds.

South Shore-St. Margarets MP Gerald Keddy said Ottawa is not likely to approve a plan that would allow the province to spend national infrastructure money paving secondary roads.

"Our challenge . . . as the federal government is to roll out an infrastructure package that will be helpful to the province and (create) a long-term vision of Nova Scotia.

"The province’s challenge is to try to find the extra money that they need to cost-share this if we accelerate funding."

Mr. Baird was more like the Grinch than like Santa, said Halifax West Liberal MP Geoff Regan.

"The province, municipalities and other stakeholders were saying as late as yesterday that they need accelerated funding, that they need streamlined process and they’re looking for changes to allocation rules so they can deal with immediate infrastructure needs and have a positive impact on the economy.

"And what the government announced today were investments that only come into effect in 2011-2014, as I understand it. So it addresses nothing that Baird was told yesterday. It’s no way to respond to the crisis in the economy."

Provincial Liberal Leader Stephen McNeil said no one should be under the illusion that Wednesday’s announcement is about stimulating the economy because the projects were already in the works or done.

"Those commitments were made previously by this government and everyone expected those to be met. What we were looking for from Ottawa was this additional money which we would hear announced for some new projects, new ways to stimulate the economy of the province."

Other provincial projects include a Highway 111 Mount Hope interchange and a new weigh-in scale in Enfield. Some of the funding will also cover upgrades to the Cheticamp water utility and helping expand broadband coverage in the province.

Isn't the Mount Hope Interchange done anyways?

Also one thing the government should really look at is the Burnside Expressway its badly needed. Defenitely more the the 101 interchange which will ultimately just dump more cars onto the Magazine Hill.

Dmajackson
Mar 14, 2009, 7:36 PM
Living in Bedford I'm on the Bi-Hi a lot and the last few times I've been through the area it looks like the forest has been cleared for the interchange. Also the Province has those purple road signs the love so much up and the road from Southgate Drive have been paved and now stretched beyond the horizon.

I'm thinking construction will be very soon. :tup:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3443/3354575460_1c9e5f94dd_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3562/3353753023_68ed1a12a7_b.jpg

Dmajackson
Mar 20, 2009, 2:24 PM
BAYERS ROAD / HIGHWAY 102 / HIGHWAY 107 CORRIDOR STUDY PUBLIC INFORMATION SESSIONS

(Friday, March 20, 2009) - The Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal (NSTIR) and Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) are exploring the future best use of the Bayers Road / Highway 102 Corridor from Windsor Street, Halifax to Fall River. The study includes traffic projections and functional designs that could be implemented in stages over a 30-year period. The objective of the study is to identify transportation infrastructure needs and preserve the corridor for potential expansion of the roadways sometime in the future. This process does not imply that construction will take place.

The location of the proposed Highway 107 from Akerley Blvd in Burnside to Highway 102 near Duke Street (Exit 4C) has also been updated and evaluated. The study was conducted by Stantec Consulting on behalf of NSTIR and HRM. Two additional public information sessions will be held to present the findings of the study and the functional design of the roadways and interchanges:

(1) Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at Sackville High School, 1 Kingfisher Way, Lower Sackville, from 6pm to 9pm with a presentation at 6:30 pm.

(2) Thursday, March 26, 2009 at the Park Place Hotel & Conference Centre, Ramada Plaza, 240 Brownlow Avenue, Dartmouth, from 4pm to 6 pm.

NSTIR, HRM and Consultant staff will be in attendance at the public information session to discuss the study and answer questions. Visit www.halifax.ca for more information.

Dmajackson
Mar 23, 2009, 8:10 PM
I just found a link showing the official plan for the Interchange layout.

10.1.1 Larry Uteck Interchange Design Fees Construction Agreement 2008-021 (489 Kb) (http://halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/090324ca1011.pdf)

Construction expected May 2009. :)

Spitfire75
Mar 23, 2009, 9:44 PM
Oh, so there's actually 4 rotaries in this area? That should be fun. :rolleyes:

hfx_chris
Mar 23, 2009, 10:11 PM
What idiot thought that one up...

Haliguy
Mar 24, 2009, 12:41 AM
Yes and you guys are traffic engineering experts .:rolleyes:

kph06
Mar 24, 2009, 12:52 AM
In theory they are quite effective, but apparently Haligonian's have different driving tenancies than most people which baffle the local transportation engineers.

Dmajackson
Mar 24, 2009, 1:05 AM
I was reading somewheres that in Moncton (I think) roundabouts are actually very dangerous because people stop to let others in. And as far as I can tell Haligonians are just like Monctonian drivers.

I think the traffic engineers just like to make confusing intersections with randomly ending lanes ... *cough* Windsor Street *cough* ;)

kph06
Mar 24, 2009, 2:27 AM
Haha yeah, I had a class where one of the heads of the traffic department taught a section. He said it's hard to use traffic modeling programs for Halifax because we don't react the same way the computer thinks we should. I don't think its a bad thing, we're more relaxed I'd say, I like it. It was funny I was doing a model for our project of re-designing the cogswell interchange, and on the program I was using, 2-3 cars would make the left turn on the amber. I was shocked when I saw that happening.

These seem like mini roundabouts for Larry Uteck, not full on Armdale rotaries, I think they could work.

Haliguy
Mar 24, 2009, 2:30 AM
Roundabouts work great if designed right. Halifax has the Armdale Roundabout which works well and a lot better than when it was a rotary and there a few others around the province. Moncton has never had one before or NB for that matter so in may not work as well there at first.

Dmajackson
Mar 24, 2009, 2:52 AM
Roundabouts work great if designed right. Halifax has the Armdale Roundabout which works well and a lot better than when it was a rotary and there a few others around the province. Moncton has never had one before or NB for that matter so in may not work as well there at first.

Moncton has two roundabouts actually. There's one near Champlain Place and one further downtown.

One thing I've noticed in a lot of highway plans for the province (NS) is there are a lot of roundabouts planned now. I believe at least one was constructed for part of the 101 widening recently.

I remember when my driving teacher first took me to Armdale I was scared silly because of the bad media the conversion got but I have to say now the Armdale is probably one of my favorite places to drive in town. Its really safe and quick. Just as a side not emy least favorite place to drive is Mumford Road.

Haliguy
Mar 24, 2009, 2:57 AM
Moncton has two roundabouts actually. There's one near Champlain Place and one further downtown.

One thing I've noticed in a lot of highway plans for the province (NS) is there are a lot of roundabouts planned now. I believe at least one was constructed for part of the 101 widening recently.

I remember when my driving teacher first took me to Armdale I was scared silly because of the bad media the conversion got but I have to say now the Armdale is probably one of my favorite places to drive in town. Its really safe and quick. Just as a side not emy least favorite place to drive is Mumford Road.

Actually I don't believe those are roundabouts in Moncton they are rotaries I believe.

Dmajackson
Mar 24, 2009, 2:59 AM
Actually I don't believe those are roundabouts in Moncton they are rotaries I believe.

You might be right.

I'll have to ask the Moncton thread.

Dmajackson
Mar 24, 2009, 3:06 AM
I'm too impatience to wait for a responce in the Moncton thread so I looked it up.

The two I know of are considered traffic circles or rotaries so Haliguy is right this time.

They do have one planned for this summer though. :)

EDIT: I looked it up further and while Moncton has no official roundabouts other areas in NB such as Ormocto and Mirimachi have some.

MonctonRad
Mar 24, 2009, 3:23 AM

They are rotaries but we tend to call them "traffic circles" here in Monctonia. They are located at Hall's Creek next to Champlain Place and at the Moncton end of the Petitcodiac River causeway.

Unique to Moncton in North America, these two traffic circles are connected by a four lane divided expressway (Wheeler Blvd.) with a speed limit of 100 km/hr. Needless to say, you have to do some heavy duty slowing down to enter the traffic circles from Wheeler!!

The Hall's Creek traffic circle works reasonably well and, like all "rotaries", the cars actually inside the traffic circle has the right of way. The causeway traffic circle however has a much smaller radius and frequently gets backed up, especially by traffic trying to enter the circle from Wheeler Blvd, and as such, the traffic here tends to default to a "roundabout" pattern with the traffic already in the circle stopping to let merging cars in.

Just to confuse the situation even more, the traffic planners here are actually planning to build at least two formal roundabouts at a couple of complex intersections in the next couple of years.

This will leave us with:
- a traffic circle that functions as a rotary
- a second traffic circle that is supposed to function as a rotary but actually functions more like a roundabout if traffic is congested
- two roundabouts that actually will be roundabouts. :haha: :haha:

Take care when driving in Moncton and don't forget to dodge the potholes. :D

mylesmalley
Mar 24, 2009, 4:05 AM
Moncton has a pretty storied history when it comes to roundabouts.About ten years ago the city tried to address the traffic problem at Botsford and Mountain by painting a giant yellow dot in the middle of the intersection and getting rid of the traffic lights. People were supposed to drive 'around the giant dot' like a roundabout. If memory serves it lasted about a week. People just drove straight through and the whole thing basically turned into a four way stop. The two traffic circles have been quite a bit more effective. The main problem with the causeway circle is that it's one lane too narrow on one side. Logistically it's a mess to widen unfortunately.

As for the rest of NB. Oromocto has quite a few roundabouts and they function quite effectively. Miramichi has at least one as well. Fredericton has a half dozen or so micro-circles which are basically standard size residential intersections that are designed to function as a roundabout. Moncton has a couple of these in one of the urban-rural fringe big lot developments.

The four-circle design being proposed here is actually a very common sight in Europe. Almost all interchanges in Ireland use at least one roundabout. Typically they use a diamond interchange with roundabouts on either side. Less commonly, you'll see a single large roundabout that connects all the ramps on and off the highway, as well as the connecting roads. The highway usually either goes above or below the circle.

someone123
Mar 24, 2009, 4:42 AM
The 102 interchange project looks much larger than I had originally thought. I guess a stretch of the highway will become six lanes..?

They did some work near there a while ago and I guess it was the Kearney Lake connector piece.

Haliguy
Mar 24, 2009, 11:25 AM
Moncton has a pretty storied history when it comes to roundabouts.About ten years ago the city tried to address the traffic problem at Botsford and Mountain by painting a giant yellow dot in the middle of the intersection and getting rid of the traffic lights. People were supposed to drive 'around the giant dot' like a roundabout. If memory serves it lasted about a week. People just drove straight through and the whole thing basically turned into a four way stop. The two traffic circles have been quite a bit more effective. The main problem with the causeway circle is that it's one lane too narrow on one side. Logistically it's a mess to widen unfortunately.

As for the rest of NB. Oromocto has quite a few roundabouts and they function quite effectively. Miramichi has at least one as well. Fredericton has a half dozen or so micro-circles which are basically standard size residential intersections that are designed to function as a roundabout. Moncton has a couple of these in one of the urban-rural fringe big lot developments.

The four-circle design being proposed here is actually a very common sight in Europe. Almost all interchanges in Ireland use at least one roundabout. Typically they use a diamond interchange with roundabouts on either side. Less commonly, you'll see a single large roundabout that connects all the ramps on and off the highway, as well as the connecting roads. The highway usually either goes above or below the circle.

I didn't realize there were so many around NB.

Yean in Europe there a lot and they work really well.

hfx_chris
Mar 24, 2009, 12:09 PM
Yes and you guys are traffic engineering experts .:rolleyes:
I know I don't like to drive through the bloody things, and that should be all I need to express an opinion. What's with the fucking attitude anyway? I can guarantee you a LOT of people on this board are not traffic engineering experts, or structural engineering experts, or design experts - yet we all express our opinions as equals without being bitched at. Seriously, that comment was uncalled for. Are you traffic engineering expert?? By your logic, if you're not, that should invalidate all of your comments in this thread too. Can you imagine if we all had to have some sort of credentials to be allowed to post replies on SSP? I can guarantee you a lot of people would be talking to themselves. Try and have some respect for other peoples' opinions, ok? Don't just brush them off and say 'oh, you're not an expert, so your opinion means nothing :rolleyes:'

Anyway, speaking of rotaries, look at the Mic Mac roatry. That thing was always backed up like a son of a bitch, the interchange makes things much, much quicker through there.

mylesmalley
Mar 24, 2009, 3:21 PM
There are three problems with rotaries that I can think of. I'll say now that I can't speak to Halifax because I'm only really familiar with NB roads. That said, most of this should apply regardless.

First, (at least in Moncton) people are quite used to massive multi-lane traffic circles, but not traditional small roundabouts. The important thing to keep in mind about the Halls Creek circle though is that the vast majority of people never need to merge or change lanes when they use it. the way the lanes are laid out, there are dedicated lanes for people staying on Route 15. Technically speaking, you never lose the right of way if you're going from Wheeler Blvd. towards Shediac even as you pass through the circle. This works great in this instance because most traffic flows this way. The problem here lies in the fact that this interchange therefore doesn't act as a pure roundabout in the strictest sense.

Second. People just don't know proper roundabout etiquette. You are always supposed to yield to people already in the circle. In a situation like the causeway circle, traffic on Wheeler can back up for more than a Km because traffic on Main St. gets access to the road first and Wheeler is supposed to yield to them. However, people don't really get this and you often end up with cars alternating between Wheeler and Main. While this might seem courtious, all it does is back up cars coming from Main and those coming from Riverview and Salisbury. (By the way, you can see all this on my project map of Moncton :D). The obvious solution is to just widen the circle either radius-wise, lane-wise or both.

Third. People just don't like change.

Haliguy
Mar 24, 2009, 8:37 PM
I know I don't like to drive through the bloody things, and that should be all I need to express an opinion. What's with the fucking attitude anyway? I can guarantee you a LOT of people on this board are not traffic engineering experts, or structural engineering experts, or design experts - yet we all express our opinions as equals without being bitched at. Seriously, that comment was uncalled for. Are you traffic engineering expert?? By your logic, if you're not, that should invalidate all of your comments in this thread too. Can you imagine if we all had to have some sort of credentials to be allowed to post replies on SSP? I can guarantee you a lot of people would be talking to themselves. Try and have some respect for other peoples' opinions, ok? Don't just brush them off and say 'oh, you're not an expert, so your opinion means nothing :rolleyes:'

Anyway, speaking of rotaries, look at the Mic Mac roatry. That thing was always backed up like a son of a bitch, the interchange makes things much, much quicker through there.

Sorry if I offended you didn't think you would take to heart like that. If you had said something like I don't like roundabouts because ..... then yeah its your opinion... but to say what idiot came up with that is kind of ignorant thats all.

Its funny how people think they know so much more than the people who design these roads. Just like Cheucto Rd where people were saying that won't work like the the people who design them came off the street and started designing them or something.

kwajo
Mar 24, 2009, 9:14 PM
Sorry if I offended you didn't think you would take to heart like that. If you had said something like I don't like roundabouts because ..... then yeah its your opinion... but to say what idiot came up with that is kind of ignorant thats all.

Its funny how people think they know so much more than the people who design these roads. Just like Cheucto Rd where people were saying that won't work like the the people who design them came off the street and started designing them or something.
It is true that people often falsely believe that they know better than engineers or professionals in various fields, but at the same time there are a lot of times when ideas carried out by professionals end up working very badly when all is said and done. Yeah they've been trained for years in a certain field, but it doesn't mean that some of them aren't idiots. It helps to keep an open mind about ideas, whether you're making six figures designing bridges or you bus tables just to pay the rent - often times neither side is "right."

hfx_chris
Mar 24, 2009, 9:52 PM
...but to say what idiot came up with that is kind of ignorant thats all.
No it's not. I hate rotaries/roundabouts/traffic circles, so to me whoever designs them or commissions them are idiots.

Oh for christ sakes... this is a discussion board. Meant for discussing. Unless anybody has something concrete to backup their statements, everything discussed should automatically be treated as opinion.

Haliguy
Mar 25, 2009, 1:56 AM
No it's not. I hate rotaries/roundabouts/traffic circles, so to me whoever designs them or commissions them are idiots.

Oh for christ sakes... this is a discussion board. Meant for discussing. Unless anybody has something concrete to backup their statements, everything discussed should automatically be treated as opinion.

No offense but maybe your the idiot if you can't drive through them they aren't that difficult they are really aren't. The rest of the world uses them without any problem and work very well.The roundabouts at Larry Utech will work well but I guess you would rather have traffic lights because roundabouts are so difficult for eh. By the way comparing them to the old MicMac rotary just shows you have no idea what your talking about because it is not the same thing at all. So maybe you should know what your talking about before you call them idiots.

Why don't you just say you don't like them instead of saying the designers are idiots. Its not designers fault you don't like them

mylesmalley
Mar 25, 2009, 6:11 AM
A rather ridiculous application of roundabouts is in Swindon, UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

Note that there are actually five roundabouts next to each other connected by a larger two-way roundabout.

Also, here's an interesting website put together by British road enthusiasts:

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/reference/interchanges/

It also has quite an extensive glossary of good (and poor) interchange designs. It doesn't take much browsing around to see that the British really love their roundabouts.

hfx_chris
Mar 25, 2009, 5:22 PM
No offense but maybe your the idiot if you can't drive through them they aren't that difficult they are really aren't.
I said I didn't like them, I never said I was unable to navigate them. I navigate the Armdale roundabout every now and then, that doesn't mean I love doing it. I don't care how much of the world loves them and swears by them, I'm just said that I personally, me, myself and just me, not speaking on anyone elses' behalf, do not like them. That is all I've said.

Why don't you just say you don't like them...
I DID ALREADY. In fact I said it a couple of times, I thought I had made it clear by now that I do not like them. Note that I never said nobody else shouldn't like them, and I also never said I am unable to use them, I just said I don't like them. Why can't you understand what I'm saying? I don't like them! And because I personally do not like them, I personally (ME, ME, ME - this is MY OPINION) think the people who commission them are idiots. Again, this is MY OWN OPINION, and I do not claim to represent anybody elses' opinion.

It's like I have to add a fucking disclaimer from now on when I'm expressing personal opinion...

Dmajackson
Mar 30, 2009, 7:25 PM
I was by this area this weekend and much of the forest has been cleared away. There are quite a few large stacks of wood sitting on the side of the highway.

Spitfire75
Apr 3, 2009, 11:34 AM
I drive the 102 pretty often. I drove by this yesterday and it's really coming along. Both sides of the highway are deforested and you can kinda see where the streets are going to go already.

Dmajackson
Apr 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
I was reading the provincial website today and starting tomorrow they are starting a massive repaving/widening/median repair job tomorrow (April 18th).

It stretches from the 101 (Exit 4B) down to Hammonds Plains. While the new interchange might not be in this stretch I think they are doing this part so over the next 12 months they can fix up down to Kearney LAke with the construction of the interchange.

Here are some photos I snapped from the corner of Southgate Drive and Larry Uteck tonight;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3552/3451405608_471b05dbfe_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3450588935_c6e29663f9_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3573/3450588055_eec26b3bbe_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3545/3450587281_c0b904aa51_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3315/3451401886_f56f537299_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3360/3450584103_98f129529b_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3634/3451399010_edefa72758_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3589/3451398406_56f5feb814_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3450581699_0540d2d940_b.jpg

Dezzo
May 31, 2009, 9:40 PM
A new portion of Larry Uteck Blvd. is now open between Starboard Dr./Bedros Ln. and Southgate Dr.

The new section is just wide enough for a single lane in each direction. There don't appear to be any driveway cuts in the curb on either side along the entire new portion, so hopefully this means that access points will be consolodated, and the majority of the new section of Larry Uteck Blvd. can flow unimpeded.

It's also not as wide as recent minor collector roads, such as Parkland Dr. or Baker Dr. which means there likely won't be any room for curbside parking.

So it will be interesting to see how the development of this area proceeds. Hopefully they get it right!

Dmajackson
May 31, 2009, 10:33 PM
A new portion of Larry Uteck Blvd. is now open between Starboard Dr./Bedros Ln. and Southgate Dr.

The new section is just wide enough for a single lane in each direction. There don't appear to be any driveway cuts in the curb on either side along the entire new portion, so hopefully this means that access points will be consolodated, and the majority of the new section of Larry Uteck Blvd. can flow unimpeded.

It's also not as wide as recent minor collector roads, such as Parkland Dr. or Baker Dr. which means there likely won't be any room for curbside parking.

So it will be interesting to see how the development of this area proceeds. Hopefully they get it right!

Welcome to the forums "Dezzo" :)

I've been using Larry Uteck since it was opened a few weeks ago and I've noticed the same things.

I've looked at the plans and the lack of curb cuts says to me they plan to do the buildings later on at which point they'll redo the curbs. There are currently three spots off the road where construction is going on and I believe they are using some of the future condo locations for excavation to use a fill further up the hill. Only one of these has a proper curb cut so I imagine a building will be going up there soon.

I've also noticed the road width and it is very strange to me. Starboard Drive is a much more minor road and it is at least twice as wide as LU. This is just speculation but like you said they might ban parking going up the hill and just make it a two lane street with a middle alternating lane if theres space.

One thing to note though is LU has a couple of curb cuts up past Southgate (where the road is still being built) for what I believe is the commercial properties.

Dmajackson
Jun 3, 2009, 7:24 PM
With the approval of the capital cost sharing thing last night Council also approved the funding for the new interchange to be split with the province.

I think they said the tenders is currently out there and should be awarded by the province sometime next week. :)

q12
Jul 24, 2009, 11:07 PM
Looks like this thing is ready to start construction any day and be complete this time next year, if I read this right and council approved this spending increase for their share of the funding plan.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/09070713.1.pdf

q12
Jul 30, 2009, 4:00 PM
From NS Gov't Website:

Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
July 29, 2009 1:47 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work has begun on a $21.6-million project to improve access on one of Nova Scotia's busiest roads.

The contract to build an interchange on Highway 102 to connect with Larry Uteck Boulevard between Bedford and Halifax was awarded to Dexter Construction Co. Ltd.

"When completed, this interchange will lessen the traffic overload on the Bedford Highway and, at the same time, open up some previously inaccessible land for development," said Frank Corbett, acting Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal. "The significant benefits of this construction wouldn't have been possible without the co-operation of all three levels of government."

Scheduled to take a year to complete, the project involves building of an overpass and ramps with roundabouts. During the first few months of construction Highway 102 traffic may be stopped for a maximum of 20 minutes once a day during off-peak driving times to allow blasting.

An aerial view of the construction area and other details are available at http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/highways/LarryUteckBlvd.asp.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/images/Larry-Uteck-Aerial-View.jpg

Dmajackson
Jul 30, 2009, 7:18 PM
^Good to hear. :)

Ideally I'd like to see the Bi-Hi widen to six thru-lanes from Lacewood to Glendale with future phases for Bayers Rd and out to the 118. Hopefully they leave space on the overpass for this to happen someday.

q12
Jul 30, 2009, 8:38 PM
^Good to hear. :)

Ideally I'd like to see the Bi-Hi widen to six thru-lanes from Lacewood to Glendale with future phases for Bayers Rd and out to the 118. Hopefully they leave space on the overpass for this to happen someday.

I agree and I believe that this project includes widening to six lanes from this new interchange to the Kearney lake exit which is approx. 2 km. It wouldn't take a lot of construction to get the rest done since all the overpasses from the 101 to the 103 were built to accommodate six lanes. Also there is at least 4km of three lane wide portions that already exist on this section (i.e. next to Bayers lake park) which would also help keep costs down.

Dmajackson
Jul 30, 2009, 9:00 PM
I agree and I believe that this project includes widening to six lanes from this new interchange to the Kearney lake exit which is approx. 2 km. It wouldn't take a lot of construction to get the rest done since all the overpasses from the 101 to the 103 were built to accommodate six lanes. Also there is at least 4km of three lane wide portions that already exist on this section (i.e. next to Bayers lake park) which would also help keep costs down.

Well yes but I think you misread my post a bit incorrectly.

What I wanted is a proper six lane expressway from Lacewood to Glendale with additional lanes for merging. So for sections like Lacewood to 103 it would actually be eight lanes (because the merge lanes go from on exit to another). Of course ideally all the interchanges would be connected with the merge lanes (like Lacewood to 103) but for longer sections (ie HPR to 101) it wouldn't be easy to accomodate.

Dmajackson
Aug 6, 2009, 7:29 PM
And so another long-term traffic snarl for Bedford begins;

Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal
August 6, 2009 2:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HALIFAX REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY: Highway 102

On Friday, Aug. 7, Highway 102 (Bicentennial Highway) will be closed for 20 minutes, between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., for blasting at the Larry Uteck Interchange.

Drivers should expect delays or use alternate routes, which will be indicated by electronic signs

Dmajackson
Oct 17, 2009, 10:03 PM
I was by this area today and they had some wood framing up for what will be the overpass on the eastern side.

kph06
Oct 18, 2009, 11:44 PM
I've been working on-site out here and it is quite impressive how fast things are coming together. The amount of equipment Dexter Construction has at their disposal is mind boggling. Its actually the west side abutments that have been formed up and they did the first concrete pour Friday. Right now they are working on building up the on/off ramps and installing water, sanitary, storm and gas lines on either side of the highway. The plan is to have both on/off ramps completed by December 1, so the highway can be re-routed up these so the 102 can be dug up for infrastructure and construction of the overpass piers. The roundabouts will not be installed until after the overpass is built, so the highway traffic won't have to navigate these in the detour.

bedfordite_93
Nov 16, 2009, 1:49 AM
they have a lot of space past the interchange outbound on either side cleared. I think they might be widening it.

q12
Nov 24, 2009, 2:03 AM
they have a lot of space past the interchange outbound on either side cleared. I think they might be widening it.

They are widening it to 6 lanes from the Kearney lake road interchange to the new Larry Uteck Interchange. The paving started today. It even looks like they have cleared extra width so that there will be room for off ramps (8-lane portions) when the entire bi-hi gets upgraded to 6 thru-lanes in the future.

Jstaleness
Dec 2, 2009, 12:20 AM
Too me this project seems to be happening very quickly. I drove by today and they have paved a ton since the last time I went by. The overpass supports are looking good. These guys are good.

kph06
Dec 2, 2009, 1:46 AM
Too me this project seems to be happening very quickly. I drove by today and they have paved a ton since the last time I went by. The overpass supports are looking good. These guys are good.

Dexter's Construction has the nickname in the construction business as "The Red Army". When the get a job (as they do probably 90% of the time) they invade with a pile of machinery and a ton of workers. The resources they have at their disposal is truly impressive. They currently have this, the 101 interchange, Fairview overpass, Freshwater Brook, Bedford South, West Bedford and a few other smaller projects all going on at once, not to mention work beyond HRM. Needless to say there is no one else close to this size.

Anyways, back to the topic, last I had heard, they were aiming to have the the highway re-routed up the on ramps by today, I drove by today and they aren't too far off.

alps
Dec 2, 2009, 3:27 AM
Trying to come up with all the traffic circles in NS. Here's my list so far.

Margeson Dr, Sackville (u/c)
Alexandra St, Sydney (u/c)
Armdale Roundabout, Halifax
Micmac Rotary (demolished)
Avonport @ Highway 101
Port Hastings (Canso Causeway)
Pictou (Highway 106)
Larry Uteck Blvd (x3) (u/c)

Dmajackson
Dec 2, 2009, 8:21 PM

Avonport @ Highway 101
Pictou (Highway 106)

I think Windsor now has one at Exit 5A.

Jstaleness
Dec 2, 2009, 11:34 PM
Is the Windsor one built already?

Dmajackson
Dec 3, 2009, 12:06 AM
Is the Windsor one built already?

According to the Department of Transportation and Infastructure Renewal the roundabout is being built right now.

Oh and just to specify its on Wentworth Road (the one with the hospital).

hfx_chris
Dec 3, 2009, 10:21 PM
Where on Wentworth?

Dmajackson
Dec 10, 2009, 8:39 PM
According to the government website the southbound detour is now in effect.

alps
Dec 11, 2009, 12:40 AM
I think Windsor now has one at Exit 5A.

Thanks!

Where on Wentworth?

I just pulled up this PDF (http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/roundabout/wentworthroad.pdf) off Google - right at the 101.

hfx_chris
Dec 11, 2009, 12:56 PM
I just pulled up this PDF (http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/roundabout/wentworthroad.pdf) off Google - right at the 101.
Wow...

Novalea
Dec 11, 2009, 1:11 PM
That will be worth the drive just ride my bike through it against the normal flow of traffic ( a'la Tour de Fance) ;)

Dmajackson
Dec 11, 2009, 8:17 PM

Avonport @ Highway 101
Pictou (Highway 106)

Here's the PDF for Alexandra St Roundabout underway in Sydney;

Alexandra Street (http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/roundabout/alexandrastreet.pdf)

alps
Dec 19, 2009, 6:45 AM
Here's the PDF for Alexandra St Roundabout underway in Sydney;

Alexandra Street (http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/roundabout/alexandrastreet.pdf)

Interesting...I also found this report (http://www.teachamerica.com/rab08/RAB08_Papers/RAB08S8ABoddy.pdf) on NS roundabouts in general. Another one in the works for Stellarton on Foord Street at the 104. The PDF says "construction is scheduled for summer 2008", but looking at some recent articles online, it doesn't look like things have started yet.

kph06
Dec 19, 2009, 1:00 PM
One of the guys at my office said he read an HRM report that identified three HRM intersections they want to turn into roundabouts, Duffus/Devonshire/Novalea, Cogswell/North Park and the Willow Tree.

Haliguy
Dec 19, 2009, 3:27 PM
One of the guys at my office said he read an HRM report that identified three HRM intersections they want to turn into roundabouts, Duffus/Devonshire/Novalea, Cogswell/North Park and the Willow Tree.

That makes sence...

Dmajackson
Dec 19, 2009, 6:13 PM

I've also heard of the Woodland at Mic Mac Blvd being considered because the abundance of land and speeding going onto the 118.

Just off the top of my head roundabouts could be explored for North @ Chebucto @ Oxford, and Bedford Highway @ Rocky Lake.

terrynorthend
Dec 19, 2009, 10:44 PM

Jeez, i really don't like that idea, especially at the Willow Tree and Cogswell/North Park. Too much pedestrian traffic. Roundabouts aren't terribly safe for pedestrian crossing as they are full of user activated signals, and otherwise feature a steady stream of traffic. There are many distractions competing for drivers' attention too. I hate, hate, hate walking through the Armdale Roundabout. And with so many people needing to cross all the time, these would also be nightmares for traffic.

Dmajackson
Feb 20, 2010, 7:32 PM
The overpass is compeltely poured now. :)

kph06
Feb 20, 2010, 9:09 PM
Its really moving along now, it took two days to place all the beams, 14 total I think. They still have to pour the deck. I have some good pictures on my camera at work, I'll post them if I remember Monday.

Dmajackson
Jun 11, 2010, 7:23 PM
The bridge is now complete. The detour ramps have been closed and traffic is back to using the normal highway section.

Dmajackson
Jul 1, 2010, 6:38 PM
Maybe kph06 can confirm this but looking at the signage for the interchange the two ramp roundabouts are going to be multi-lane. If they end up working effectively this could change the attitude towards high-volume roundabouts in HRM.

kph06
Jul 2, 2010, 4:41 AM
There's still quite a bit of work to do here, considering it is suppose to be complete by the end of the month. Yes, from what I recall of the plans the roundabouts will be multilaned and they are formed up with gravels now. I drove over the bridge the other day and it still needs the asphalt surface, it's just the concrete base down now. It's been a little bit since I've been on the Bedoford side, but things should be shaping up nicely for development, its mostly high density residential and Shannex old folk homes, with a bit of commercial (Sobey's).

Dmajackson
Aug 3, 2010, 2:45 AM
Just a quick snap shot heading Halifax-bound;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4855675318_e12b285455_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Aug 14, 2010, 3:53 PM
I found this diagram on the provincial government's website showing the interchange's roundabouts. Also there is now a "For Lease" sign up on the 102 for the commercial lands in the area.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/tran/images/Uteck_graphic_tir_section.jpg

Jstaleness
Aug 14, 2010, 5:26 PM
Looks good. I can't wait to try it in real life.

Dmajackson
Oct 11, 2010, 7:10 PM
Some shots from the interchange;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/5072553630_816880d9e6_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5071955529_9198f64cb9_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5071950171_f80e8424fd_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5071957011_bcd9b5058f_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/5071956413_466431d0ed_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/5071952887_064d961419_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/5071953847_679b74d83a_z.jpg

fenwick16
Oct 11, 2010, 7:23 PM
Thanks for the pictures DMA Jackson. It looks like the HRM is booming based on all of these images. I wonder where the Halifax area would be now if it was at this point 30 years ago (when I moved away- this is just something that I often think about). The next 30 years should be interesting).

PS: I like this design.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 11, 2010, 10:57 PM
Its very UK... I'm looking forward to most of inside the 102 being developed neighborhoods.

Canadian_Bacon
Oct 12, 2010, 2:31 AM
Looks cool. How come they made the circles different sizes? At least they look different in the diagram; One is bigger then the other. Why not just make them the same size so it looks more uniform.

I can't wait to drive on it when it opens. Thanks for the pics. I also can't wait to see how fast the area develops and grows once this opens.

kph06
Oct 12, 2010, 3:10 AM
Looks cool. How come they made the circles different sizes? At least they look different in the diagram; One is bigger then the other. Why not just make them the same size so it looks more uniform.

The larger one has five directions connected to it where the smaller one has only four.

q12
Oct 12, 2010, 10:22 PM
CBC Halifax @ 5:30 reported they have learned this should all be open this Friday if all goes well.:banana:

q12
Oct 15, 2010, 4:54 PM
I can confirm, after haven driven through it, the the whole thing is now open for your driving, cycling and walking pleasure! :tomato: :dancing:

Dmajackson
Oct 15, 2010, 5:22 PM
I can confirm, after haven driven through it, the the whole thing is now open for your driving, cycling and walking pleasure! :tomato: :dancing:

:dancing:

They've finally removed those irritating cones people have been ignoring for months. :P

:dancing:

Keith P.
Oct 16, 2010, 12:49 AM
Let's start a pool on when the first accident occurs at one of the gawdawful roundabouts. I got Saturday afternoon, the 16th.

Dmajackson
Oct 16, 2010, 1:17 AM
Let's start a pool on when the first accident occurs at one of the gawdawful roundabouts. I got Saturday afternoon, the 16th.

Now that is unrealistic!

Armdale doesn't even have accidents everyday and it handles multiple times more vehicles and pedestrians then these new ones likely ever will. Also these have fewer confict points than Armdale and standard interchange intersections.

I'd put the first accident in about a month because of the nearby highway. Some driver will probably not slow down enough on the off-ramp to merge into the circle correctly.

Personally I can't wait to get back home and test these roundabouts out. :)

Dmajackson
Oct 16, 2010, 5:21 AM
Some coverage of the grand opening;

Haligonia.ca (http://live.haligonia.ca/halifax-ns/news-headlines/16600-larry-uteck-larry-uteck-interchange-now-open.html)
Halifaxnewsnet.ca (http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/News/2010-10-15/article-1851849/Larry-Uteck-Interchange-now-open-to-drivers/1)

halifaxboyns
Oct 17, 2010, 9:13 AM
I'm looking forward to using the new overpass/round about when I come home for Christmas. It will make it much easier for my mom to pick me up, since she just moved to the condo's in Royal Hemlocks since selling the house I grew up in.

Canadian_Bacon
Oct 18, 2010, 2:53 AM
I was just on this tonight. Drove around it on both sides, then went back on the 102. Seen quite a few other cars going on it to 'test' it out as well.

It's not to bad. :)

Dmajackson
Nov 27, 2010, 10:27 PM
Shot this today;

zoe9YZ9bFsM

Canadian_Bacon
Nov 28, 2010, 2:34 PM
Sweet video jackson. Thanks for posting it.

hfx_chris
Dec 1, 2010, 2:59 AM
Interesting choice of music.
And by interesting I mean absolutely horrible. I hate shitty remixes of good songs ;)

Dmajackson
Dec 1, 2010, 3:14 AM
Lol next time I take a video I'll remember to play some older music ... say good old rock and roll.

q12
Jan 18, 2022, 5:11 PM
12 years later reviving this thread.

NS DOT is finally expanding this interchange due to heavy traffic backing up onto the 102. This off ramp has been causing daily problems for the 102 even with the six lane section between the Kearney Lake interchange and Larry Uteck.

Larry Uteck Boulevard: Widening from Highway 102 North Bound Exit 2B Off Ramp to Starboard Drive
0.7km

https://novascotia.ca/tran/highways/5yearplan/5-year-Highway-Capital-Plan-2022-2023.pdf

https://i.postimg.cc/657rQjkH/uteck.png

q12
Jan 18, 2022, 6:07 PM
^In addition to the upgrades to Larry Uteck I posted above I found this planning done last year for the Kearney Lake Rd Interchange to be upgraded to roundabouts.

https://harboursidetransportation.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2021/08/Picture1-2.png

Also of note is the future 102 shown with six lanes.

Dmajackson
Jan 19, 2022, 4:38 AM
^The first one I read as they will be adding a third lane to LUB eastbound between the 102 outbound ramps and Starboard Drive. The 102 off-ramp will end up with it's own receiving lane which should make things flow better. The question is will the lane end before Starboard Drive or are they planning to alter that roundabout with a right-turn slip lane?

The second post is tied to the development of Bedford West Sub-Area 10. The plan is for the developers to pay for the interchange upgrades similar to how this thread's topic was built and the current work going on up at LUB & Broad.

Welcome changes for both interchanges as long as they are well though out and enacted properly. :tup:

Keith P.
Jan 19, 2022, 12:42 PM
The roundabouts there have always been the problem. You cannot cheap out by putting roundabouts in a high-traffic area and not expect tie-ups. They need a proper interchange.

OldDartmouthMark
Jan 19, 2022, 1:36 PM
So this is the second 102 off-ramp that is being backed up on the highway during rush hour due to a bottleneck at a roundabout, the other being Fall River. Are there any others that regularly back up onto the highway? Hopefully Kearney Lake won't be the third.

I'm all for properly-designed roundabouts, but in these cases there seems to bean issue with traffic flow that needs to be resolved. Hopefully the LUB upgrades will fix that issue, but I'm getting to the point of siding with Keith in that maybe there's just too much traffic for this multitude of roundabouts to handle, and perhaps a proper interchange is in order. Backing up traffic onto a 100 km/h highway is dangerous - especially on a section of highway that regularly sees accidents at the best of times.

MonctonRad
Jan 19, 2022, 3:20 PM
Purely for entertainment purposes, I would like to get Keith's opinion on this new Dutch (of course) roundabout, complete with bicycle flyover ramps. :haha:

4MuvT50llaQ

Two of the greatest evils in human history combined into one; roundabouts and expensive and unnecessary bicycle flyovers!!!! :eek: :runaway: :)

I particularly enjoyed the celebratory oompah band on the bicycle-built-for-six at the grand opening at the end of the video.

JHikka
Jan 19, 2022, 3:23 PM
The roundabouts there have always been the problem. You cannot cheap out by putting roundabouts in a high-traffic area and not expect tie-ups. They need a proper interchange.

If you think a roundabout backs traffic up then just wait until you see a 'proper' interchange in the same location.

If it's an overall traffic issue then there needs to be more ramps or better flow alternatively to resolve the highway traffic issues. Adding stop lights won't fix that.

q12
Jan 19, 2022, 6:19 PM
NS DOT messed this up when they choose the wrong roundabout design for the future traffic volume back in 2010.

It also has less traffic capacity due to yield, rather than merge, control

https://i.postimg.cc/W4N2nr9J/102-uteck.png
http://conf.tac-atc.ca/english/resourcecentre/readingroom/conference/conf2010/docs/j2/weber.pdf

It looks like they chose the PEDESTRIAN friendly option in 2010, which resulted in dangerous backups occurring on a 100km/h freeway.

The new modification will be the design (green) on the left side of the above diagram +12 years later.