PDA

View Full Version : Rejection of development reveals Kingston's anti-student sentiment

adam-machiavelli
Nov 27, 2008, 4:15 AM
http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1316068

Rejection of development shows anti-student bias

The Kingston Planning Committee's rejection of the proposed apartment development at 501 Frontenac St. is another disgraceful example of a city that is anti-business and not friendly to students.

The area in question, a former industrial site, is underdeveloped and in desperate need of revitalization. While there are many beautiful family homes in the area, there are also known drug houses, vacant lots and a myriad of low-quality, overpriced rentals.

As Kingstonians, we must ask why the same city that has handed over every valuable piece of waterfront property to developers will not endorse an attractive and well-planned project in a neighbourhood desperate for it. The answer appears to be related more to the prospective tenants -many of them students -than the neighbourhood. Also, we must ask council to answer for the massive loss of potential developer's fees and taxes generated by this project. Sound familiar?

Princess Street from Bath Road to Division Street has some empty and decrepit storefronts. At night the area is deserted, making it unsafe to commute through it on foot, especially for young people and students. Area residents cannot ignore the reality that their neighbourhood, if it is to survive, needs an infusion like the one proposed by the developer.

With 58 new high-quality rental units, there would be added traffic throughout the day of young, energetic students and professionals. Strength in numbers would increase the safety of the area for everyone, therefore improving the sense of community. Add to this the potential for retail and business development stemming from the consumer needs of the new residents.

Development, jobs, revitalization: sounds pretty good to me, given the current state of the economy.

The need for student housing in Kingston is growing every year. With many fourth-year Royal Military College students now living off-campus, combined with the needs of Queen's and St. Lawrence College students, the city must find innovative solutions to meet the demands of this expanding market. Cities such as London have embraced similar development styles that now set the standard for student-focused housing in those markets. Unless we want every home from the Queen's campus to Sir John A. Macdonald Boulevard turned into a rental property, we must allow for this type of intensification.

I hope the prospective developer, Jay Patry, has learned a valuable lesson about telling the truth. With this city it gets you nowhere. Developers beware -any future pitches to the Planning Committee should read "luxury rental apartments for the affluent, retired and wealthy," in which case the committee will hand you Market Square.

Paul Tye Municipal Affairs Commission Alma Mater Society Queen's University Kingston

- while this is occurring in Kingston, I figured it's close enough to Ottawa. This op-ed raises some disturbing issues surrounding town-gown relations in Kingston. Basically, residents want to disperse the student population -but not into their neighbourhood, only those of other people. If you follow the article link at the top of the page, the reader comments on the article are extremely nasty and accurately reflect the paranoia of the non-student population in Kingston.

waterloowarrior
Nov 27, 2008, 4:27 AM
planning report (http://www.cityofkingston.ca/pdf/cityhall/committees/planning/agenda/2008/PLN_A1708-SchedB.pdf)
315 pages.... :o

highdensitysprawl
Nov 27, 2008, 12:41 PM
planning report (http://www.cityofkingston.ca/pdf/cityhall/committees/planning/agenda/2008/PLN_A1708-SchedB.pdf)
315 pages.... :o

Things are quite a bit different in K town versus Ottawa. In Ottawa, there is no way that the individuals who made comments would be identified in the report. City Staff would just list the issues raised w/o any names attached.

waterloowarrior
Nov 27, 2008, 11:07 PM
A lot of the issues could be resolved through site plan control... the proposal doesn't seem very big to me, but perhaps for Kingston it is. Parking is at the rear and screened on the side, the existing homes are kept in front of the building to provide a transition to the street, and the homes behind the building look like they have deep yards and trees for screening.

waterloowarrior
Apr 5, 2009, 5:01 AM
hearing starts this september
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail.aspx?n=PL081468

rodionx
Apr 5, 2009, 2:31 PM
From the letters, which are a fun read, the residents appear to be concerned about students living in higher densities than anticipated (ie the old curtain across the den arrangement) and placing a higher than anticipated demand on parking. That, and the drunken screaming and yelling, of course.

adam-machiavelli
Apr 5, 2009, 4:32 PM
I've been around that area and let me tell you, it's the ex-cons and TPT mothers who cause more problems than students. It's funny, establishment Kingston residents complain that there are too many students in too concentrated of an area around campus. Then they complain that students are "taking over" adjacent areas when the City and landlords try to disperse the population.

I live in one of those transition areas because the housing is in better condition, not because I want to destroy the neighbourhood...and yet I'm made by local residents to feel like a West Bank settler. I've lost count of the number of times neighbours have called by-law officers to my home because of "refuse on my front lawn" that was actually garbage and recycling from their boxes that the wind dumped onto my lawn at some point during the 3 hours I was in class. My landlord told my house group at the beginning of this year to keep an extra low profile because "when word got out that this house was for rent, I was harassed by your neighbours not to rent it to students. Even though I said only grad and law students would live there, they would not have any of it."

There are 3 or 4 other houses on the block rented out to students. Everyone is so fearful of "the other" that when a student house wanted to hold a party, they sent out a pathetically requested letter to all neighbours informing them of the event and basically it sounded like 'we know we are scum compared to you non-students but we aren't a rowdy bunch so call the police if you feel things are getting out of hand'. Well guess what -the police were called at 7PM to pre-emptively stop the party.

Additionally, the city decided not to license landlords, which would have improved housing conditions for all (probably due to the fact that the Mayor's best friend is one of the biggest landlords in the city) and instead begin to impose draconian noise by-laws and random police visits against students. So it is definitely a very poisonous environment right now.

waterloowarrior
Jan 13, 2010, 10:54 PM
according to a December 09 planning agenda, the hearing is done and they are awaiting a decision
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/19613602/City-of-Kingston-Planning-Committee-Agenda---Meeting-01-2010

waterloowarrior
Feb 24, 2010, 8:18 PM
OMB decision (http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl081468-Feb-11-2010.pdf)

Appeal on zoning by developer dismissed, but they still have an OPA appeal out there with an alternate concept plan.