PDA

View Full Version : James North

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

hmagazine
Oct 30, 2008, 5:39 PM
A little something about the resurgence of James North in today's Celebrate Hamilton section of The Spec:

http://www.thespec.com/article/457760

highwater
Oct 30, 2008, 5:46 PM
I think there was a little something about a certain under 40 James St. entrepreneur in the Spec recently too. Kudos.

omro
Oct 31, 2008, 6:01 PM
On the last day of my visit, I wandered around James North. Such a fantastic vibe on a sunny October day. I can only imagine what it must be like in the Summer! Am very impressed with all the hard work people have put into the area!

Well done Hmagazine et al!

raisethehammer
Nov 17, 2008, 11:57 PM
ok, so I just heard that Atomica Tattoo will close next month.
for those who don't know, Under the Moon already closed recently.

A few musings/questions from me:

1. Is this a result of Mixed Media moving out of that block?? If so, we clearly need to do more work on James North so one shop isn't the only draw.
2. Is the street simply not busy enough yet to support 'other' businesses?? If so, I can live with that. The street is slowly evolving and will take years to see pedestrian activity anywhere near a similar street in Montreal/TO etc.....

Of course, on the bright side there is now 3 beautiful spaces for lease in the building that once housed Mixed Media. The future is wide open.

Any thoughts? (I suspect HMagazine will have some ideas/thoughts)

hmagazine
Nov 18, 2008, 2:16 AM
you want some scoops Jason?

Under the Moon did close their James North location. They will re-open in May on Ottawa Street in a building recently bought by the owner of Earl's Court Gallery - who will also move there. Gallery, framing studio and books all in one location!

Atomica was a very busy shop. Almost too successful for a shop their size. Only two artists - the one artist - also the owner felt he couldn't be creative enough with the limited time he had. He his opting to travel the world guesting in other shops while maintaining a private studio here.

The building housing those two stores and also the old Mixed Media space is an interesting building that hopefully can find some good tenants to add to the ongoing revitalization of the street. It does seem kind of funny that as soon as Mixed Media moved up the street - that both Atomica and UTM would close soon after.

Purely coincidence.

We lose two and we gain two. Along with Mixed Media - White Elephant Vintage and Downtown Bike Hounds are now open and contributing to the corner of Cannon and James. Come see the new digs!

P.S Woodpecker Handicraft Gallery just opened up in the old UTM space. Hopefully he can last it out being the only tenant left in that stretch. He's a nice guy who believes in the street.

realcity
Nov 18, 2008, 2:05 PM
hmagazine it appears you've been made and raisethehammer you too.

"not enough time to be creative" come on.....

raisethehammer
Nov 18, 2008, 2:36 PM
you want some scoops Jason?

Under the Moon did close their James North location. They will re-open in May on Ottawa Street in a building recently bought by the owner of Earl's Court Gallery - who will also move there. Gallery, framing studio and books all in one location!

Atomica was a very busy shop. Almost too successful for a shop their size. Only two artists - the one artist - also the owner felt he couldn't be creative enough with the limited time he had. He his opting to travel the world guesting in other shops while maintaining a private studio here.

The building housing those two stores and also the old Mixed Media space is an interesting building that hopefully can find some good tenants to add to the ongoing revitalization of the street. It does seem kind of funny that as soon as Mixed Media moved up the street - that both Atomica and UTM would close soon after.

Purely coincidence.

We lose two and we gain two. Along with Mixed Media - White Elephant Vintage and Downtown Bike Hounds are now open and contributing to the corner of Cannon and James. Come see the new digs!

P.S Woodpecker Handicraft Gallery just opened up in the old UTM space. Hopefully he can last it out being the only tenant left in that stretch. He's a nice guy who believes in the street.

great news hmag.
I knew you'd have info on this. LOL.

no scoops required...just curious as to how the street is evolving. I'm glad to hear that it was coincidence with all these things happening around the same time.
You guys are like an incubator of sorts - the new business ventures in your new building are excellent.
And you're right - your old building is awesome. I see a ton of potential for it.

Interesting concept for Ottawa St...I hope it does well. That street is a gem in the east end.

I believe in the future of James North...probably more than any other street in Hamilton.
Let's hope the momentum can continue.

SteelTown
Nov 19, 2008, 2:37 PM
Now that Christmas is approaching quickly I would love to see James St North all lit up with Christmas lights, but of course with an artist flare. Perhaps set up a donation drive.

Stuff like this I would absoutely love....

http://www.cellular-news.com/images/story/27442/Nokia_Sponsoring_Christmas_Lights_on_Londons_Regent_Street_1.jpg

http://www.mcawilliams.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/grafton-street-christmas-lights1.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/golondon/1/0/8/R/-/-/CarnabySt.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/golondon/1/0/u/C/-/-/RegentStreet1.jpg

raisethehammer
Nov 19, 2008, 2:48 PM
totally! that would be awesome along King and the Gore too.
sadly, we've still got a few strands of white lights as our exciting christmas decorations downtown.
check out the tree in front of city hall too. before you blame the wind or anything else for it's crazy lopside, you'll be glad to know that I stood there and watched them set it up and they set it up that lopsided and stupid looking.
I noticed they're putting up those white/blue Christmas star light things along Main again. I wonder if they'll actually light up this year?

this city is so boring and bland when it comes to celebrating and doing things right.
yea, yea....we're a 'poor city'.
a poor city that can afford billions in highways and roads, but nothing that will enhance quality of life and make city living fun again.

astroblaster
Nov 19, 2008, 7:52 PM
i think the gore usually looks pretty good around christmas time.

it'd be nice to see james north get some decorations too, but i don't think anything elaborate is needed.

hmagazine
Nov 19, 2008, 9:13 PM
i think the gore usually looks pretty good around christmas time.

it'd be nice to see james north get some decorations too, but i don't think anything elaborate is needed.

In some of world’s greatest cities, New York, Paris, Chicago and San Francisco among them, the holidays are not complete without a trip down each city’s shopping avenues to take in the holiday window designs and displays. On James North, we’re no different.

Join us on Saturday Dec. 6 for a full day of free events!

Makers’ Market indoors at Christ’s Church Cathedral. Unique and local gifts for everyone on your list! 10am - 3pm

Holiday windows unveiled! Participating shops will be open until 7pm with special sales, tasty goodies and warm drinks to kick off the holiday season in style. Make your way up and down James North enjoying the festive spirit in the air. Maps and information available at History+Heritage, 165 James North.

raisethehammer
Nov 19, 2008, 9:24 PM
In some of world’s greatest cities, New York, Paris, Chicago and San Francisco among them, the holidays are not complete without a trip down each city’s shopping avenues to take in the holiday window designs and displays. On James North, we’re no different.

Join us on Saturday Dec. 6 for a full day of free events!

Makers’ Market indoors at Christ’s Church Cathedral. Unique and local gifts for everyone on your list! 10am - 3pm

Holiday windows unveiled! Participating shops will be open until 7pm with special sales, tasty goodies and warm drinks to kick off the holiday season in style. Make your way up and down James North enjoying the festive spirit in the air. Maps and information available at History+Heritage, 165 James North.

argh!! sounds awesome, yet I'll be in downtown Buffalo that day!! darn it!
Will the windows stay 'jazzed up' through the rest of the month??

hmagazine
Nov 19, 2008, 9:26 PM
we are encouraging shops to keep them up until Jan. 6

adam
Nov 19, 2008, 9:29 PM
I'd love to get a photo tour from someone with a gift for the camera (Flar.... looking in your direction!)

raisethehammer
Nov 19, 2008, 9:44 PM

excellent!
spread some of that magic to the downtown BIA.
Last Christmas I took the kids downtown during my week off after Christmas to ride the train and merry go round only to find out that they pack it all away on Dec 23!! Yes, that's right. Gore Park is emptied out and put away BEFORE the Christmas break. JS is downright busy during that week and tons of people have the week, or portions of it, off to do things with their family. Heaven forbid the downtown BIA keep the Christmas stuff up till Jan 1.

Good job HMag....by the way, wicked new issue. I saw the art deco place at National Steel Car today - WOW. amazing.

LikeHamilton
Nov 19, 2008, 10:58 PM

Won't they be late decorating for Valentines Day and Easter?

Millstone
Nov 19, 2008, 11:00 PM
There's a neat blue and white star banner thing hanging across James @ Rebecca.

raisethehammer
Nov 20, 2008, 3:45 AM
There's a neat blue and white star banner thing hanging across James @ Rebecca.

yea, it was there last year. Also should be one at Hunter/James.
I wish they would do a ton of those things from LIUNA Station right to the base of the escarpment and some other coloured ones on King from Wellington-Queen.

Also, there's a law office on King West near Hess that always has a great Christmas window. One of the neat Christmas villages etc....it's up already.
I think it's Slatery Law??

omro
Nov 20, 2008, 10:49 AM
Now that Christmas is approaching quickly I would love to see James St North all lit up with Christmas lights, but of course with an artist flare. Perhaps set up a donation drive.

Stuff like this I would absoutely love....

http://www.cellular-news.com/images/story/27442/Nokia_Sponsoring_Christmas_Lights_on_Londons_Regent_Street_1.jpg

http://www.mcawilliams.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/grafton-street-christmas-lights1.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/golondon/1/0/u/C/-/-/RegentStreet1.jpg

I see Carnaby Street and Regent Street :)

crhayes
Nov 20, 2008, 6:34 PM

Anyone else see a potential King William st. here?

Even the second building on the right reminds me of the one on King William (I can't remember the store name, but the one that is painted purple).

Jon Dalton
Nov 20, 2008, 7:52 PM
I love the idea of a pedestrian zone on King William. It would be the perfect location and there are already several establishments between James and John that would lend themselves well to it. There are enough old buildings still standing that if new ones were built to fill the holes the street would retain its character. I imagine it could be like Prince Arthur in Montreal some day.

raisethehammer
Nov 20, 2008, 9:20 PM
I'm sure most people would agree with you, but sadly the folks at city hall don't.
This idea was brought up and promptly shot down by staff who developed the streetscaping plan for King William a couple years ago.

omro
Nov 20, 2008, 10:11 PM
The idea of pedestrianising any part of Hamilton seems alien to the "Car is King" concept that is the "Hamilton Way"

ryan_mcgreal
Nov 21, 2008, 1:33 PM
I'm sure most people would agree with you, but sadly the folks at city hall don't.
This idea was brought up and promptly shot down by staff who developed the streetscaping plan for King William a couple years ago.

I think a nice compromise would be a "flexible events" design like the third option for the York Blvd plan - one lane of slow moving traffic and curbside parking, but easy ability to close it for special events.

raisethehammer
Nov 21, 2008, 2:25 PM
^ yup, that would be good.
they can shut down the street and have demolition parties whenever another building comes down.

SteelTown
Dec 13, 2008, 8:06 PM
http://www.lintack.com/images/portfolio/1219260916_2.jpg

http://www.lintack.com/images/portfolio/1219260909_1.jpg

Dundasguy
Dec 13, 2008, 8:36 PM
Maybe this is one of those renderings that don't look as good as the finished product...I hope.

hmagazine
Dec 13, 2008, 8:43 PM
This does look better than the last round of renderings.

A little more in keeping with the streetscape and scale of James North me thinks...

SteelTown
Dec 13, 2008, 10:41 PM
Kinda disappointed with the side facing Cannon. Think they would've been more creative than a blank brick wall.

Millstone
Dec 14, 2008, 6:25 AM
Why is everyone driving a $70,000 sports car

adam
Dec 14, 2008, 2:14 PM
Actually the majority of the people are walking if you look carefully...

flar
Dec 14, 2008, 7:50 PM
It's just a drawing

MsMe
Dec 14, 2008, 8:40 PM
Why is everyone driving a $70,000 sports car

I'd like one of those in my driveway. Want to buy me one? :haha:

SteelTown
Dec 15, 2008, 11:50 AM
James North comes in from the cold
A series of 12 Christmas stories leading up to Santa's big day.

December 15, 2008
Jon Wells
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/482161

Faith, magic, reverence for the past, these are the notes of Christmas -- and also James Street North, a hidden treasure most times of the year, but never more so than during the flash of the season.

To the naked eye there seems little to treasure along the perpetual old artery, the morning wind a cold slap in the face, the scene along her sidewalks grey, as though dawn never broke, and suddenly the canned warmth and glitz of a mall, madness though it is, tantalizes.

Stop. Look down. In a frigid doorway, set in black and white tile, is the word "Oysters." Oysters? It's an art gallery, but was a fish market many years ago.

Look up. A sign reads Loose Canon -- one "n" as in it's near Cannon Street. But it's about art canons -- the "loose" referencing openness, youth.

Inside, gallery owner Dane Pedersen, young guy, speaks of the cultural renewal of James North, the galleries on the street and quirky shops, and laments the coming of his 29th birthday. He wears some kind of floppy winter hat with hanging tresses that should probably be hanging on the wall with other eclectic pieces -- such as a work that looks like a pair of miniscule purple mittens by artist Courtney Lakin, who lives in an apartment above the gallery.

Look up again. It's a white tin moulded ceiling, and it's beautiful, a section of pipe is lovingly exposed and painted gold-leaf.

Circulation returning to your fingers, take a second look across the street, and now the facade over long-ago closed Leon Fur's, and its retro yellow and red L-shaped sign, seems more like art, not blight.

In the Loose Canon window, meanwhile, like many of the storefront windows on James North now done up in lights and bows and holly, is a Christmas display -- a yuletide scene that Pedersen painted, and in front of it tiny characters, elves that his mother made.

She actually made the characters by hand, with wood dowels, green and red felt costumes and glue, as if created in Santa's workshop.

How many mall displays bring handmade decorations to the fore?

Like the Grinch atop Mount Crumpit, you start to get it that James North, it seems, is about something a little bit more.

In a city of streets steeped in history, James North is the godfather.

Once known as Lake Street, it was renamed by Hamilton founding father Nathaniel Hughson after his son. The CNR station at Murray and James was the point from which soldiers went to war, and immigrants first set eyes on their new home. It was the street that connected Hamilton to the harbour, its major artery of commerce.

And now, to those who go there, James North boasts charms old and new. There is lots of the old at a new place called White Elephant, where owners Jane Labatte and Hollie Pocsai sell retro items, everything from your grandmother's vintage kitchenware to toys, ornaments and an Elvis Presley Christmas record of the stone age vinyl variety. They found a vintage silver aluminum tree on eBay for their window display. Perfect.

Labatte and all the fresh young merchants talk about James North as a movement, a rebirth.

"There is a community here, a culture we wanted to be part of," says Labatte.

The spirit and creativity is undeniable, but will enough people discover the charms to make it the next Locke Street, but with an artistic bent, as a merchant put it?

At the corner of Cannon and James North is Mixed Media, and here you find Dave Kuruc, who one merchant calls the "King of James" for his tireless and eloquent torch-carrying for the street. The store is quirky, all of it very James North: arts supplies, black high-top sneakers made of recycled rubber, books for sale like a journal titled "Wreck This Journal."

The store's restored pine plank floor creaks perfectly under foot, round Japanese lamps hang from the restored moulded tin ceiling.

"James Street lets you in on its secrets, but in pieces, you have to look up and around," Kuruc says.

By early afternoon, the sun emerges, warming James North, bathing the spires of Christ's Church Cathedral in light. Across from Sushi Day is a new place run by Sean Burak, called Downtown Bike Hounds. He refurbishes old bikes and fixes them with bells, lights, baskets. Inside, a guy named Mike chats about BMX forks and the economy, among other things, with Jeff, who is out walking his 16-month old daughter, Raven.

Large canvas paintings for sale, bursting with colour, by artist Karen Casey, adorn the walls. Burak's dog Memphis, a beagle-basset hound cross (or a bagel, as they are called) and for whom the store is named -- drags a blanket in his mouth on the hardwood floor.

"I think he brings out the blanket for visitors to show that he's in charge of something," Burak says.

Burak's Christmas window display is the most James North of all -- a mannequin wearing a hard hat perched atop a red bicycle, pedalling non-stop. He hooked an old ceiling fan motor to the back wheel, keeps it going all day long.

"I'm considering just taking off the tinsel after Christmas and let him keep on pedalling."

Oh, and look up. There is - yes - a moulded tin ceiling, silver this time. The signature of James North. Surely only certain eyes could have looked up inside these creaky buildings, noticed the bland dropped ceilings that were there, and had the imagination to wonder if there was something special concealed, that others did not let themselves see.

hmagazine
Feb 8, 2009, 3:42 PM
ARTIST INC BUILDING UPDATE

The Building Project has been in a period of waiting for news about funding. We have now heard from the Federal Government and their willingness to participate in the Building Project. However, due to further funding applications that are required to follow the Federal criteria, the Building Project will be done in stages. The first stage and priority is to create a gallery and complete the interior of the corner building. Further stages will include the refacing of the front of the buildings, the courtyard and to address the connection between the two buildings.

The Board of Directors, Staff and The Building Project Committee
Hamilton Artists Inc.

hmagazine
Feb 23, 2009, 4:54 PM
City invites input on public art for James Street North area

Hamilton, ON – February 19, 2009 - The city is inviting residents, business owners and artists in the James Street North area to provide input on the planning for a new public art installation along James Street between Cannon and Murray Streets.

The James Street North Public Art Ideas Charrette takes place Monday Feb. 23rd from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. at Christ Church Cathedral, Myler Hall, 252 James St. N.

A charrette is a type of public consultation in which participants are asked to work together in small groups to come up with a shared response or approach to a key community issue.

Participants will be asked to consider what qualities, characteristics and stories from the James Street North community should be reflected in the proposed public art piece.

The results of the charrette will help determine the themes that the artists competing for the project will be asked to address in their proposal, and will play a role when judging what would be most appropriate for the neighbourhood.

The city defines public art as art created by artists, or in collaboration with artists, through a public process and existing on publicly accessible City of Hamilton property. Public art helps strengthen our city’s visual identity, stimulates the economy, enhances tourism and builds an even greater sense of community pride.

For more information, visit www.hamilton.ca/arts/jamesstreetnorth or call (905) 546-2424 ext. 6281.

- 30 -

PSA Contact:
Ken Coit
Art in Public Places Coordinator
Culture Division
Community Services Department
City of Hamilton
(905) 546-2424 ext. 6281
ken.coit@hamilton.ca

FairHamilton
Feb 23, 2009, 5:14 PM
The James Street North Public Art Ideas Charrette takes place Monday Feb. 3rd from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. at Christ Church Cathedral, Myler Hall, 252 James St. N.

I'm guessing Monday Feb. 23rd (tonight), is that correct?

hmagazine
Feb 23, 2009, 5:17 PM
yikes.

and that was the announcement sent from the city!

coalminecanary
Feb 24, 2009, 5:28 PM
oversized brushes and palettes on every lamppost! hahaha

highwater
Feb 24, 2009, 6:07 PM
with the lights shaped like French berets!

realcity
Feb 24, 2009, 6:17 PM
great -- a committee *ahem* charrette

http://fohn.net/camel-pictures-facts/the-pictures/Arabian-Camel.jpg
a horse designed by committee

I hope the result is better then the stupid 'curved doors' art.

highwater
Feb 25, 2009, 1:11 PM
Mixed Media co-owner sees sustainability as key
February 25, 2009
Jeff Mahoney
The Hamilton Spectator
(Feb 25, 2009)

There's a growing sense that the things that are changing are not coming back. At this point, with economic aftershocks on a daily, even hourly, basis, everyone seems united in simply wanting the ground to solidify under their feet again. As Tom Waits sang, "We're chained to the world and we all gotta pull."

Hamilton is steeled to this pace of seismic change more than most cities, and the arts community here even more yet. And as we all wait for a new "normal" to set in, David Kuruc may be someone to watch. He's uncomfortable with the "leadership" tag, but it's one that people are going to stick on him, like it or not. He reluctantly admits that perhaps he does have a kind of "ambassadorial" role when it comes to the James Street North revival.

When he and his wife, Teresa Devries, opened their art supply store Mixed Media (and it is so much more), the place quickly became a community hub.

You have to understand Kuruc to understand the energy of Mixed Media, 174 James North, right at the corner of Cannon. He is tireless in his enthusiasm for a renewed Hamilton; well-spoken, open-faced, hard not to like and a community builder. At his own expense he puts out a newspaper -- H. For Hamilton.

He represents a growing cadre of Hamiltonians who believes in a model of this city different from the one that various incarnations of city council have short-sheeted us into during the past 30 years -- urban sprawl, car-based planning, development friendly.

The view from where Kuruc stands has elements of Jane Jacobs and Richard Florida, but without the pseudointellectual cocktail chatter. It's stripped down for Hamilton realities. Essentially, the renewing comes down to re-old-ing. A return to the inner core. Bringing out the architectural beauty and efficiencies of existing buildings. Re-energizing neighbourhoods. Building the city up, vertically, rather than out, horizontally, as has happened, the superseded farmlands of yesteryear trussed up in silly-looking suburban corsets. Less money, more barter.

"We've done things a certain way," says Kuruc. "Now we have to look at a different way. Every day I meet people who are moving here and it's not for the box stores, but for the architecture here, the night life, the characters."

It's about pulling together, not apart as traditional development does. He sees the James Street North area sewing itself together slowly over time, not by sinking millions into big projects, but by letting change soak into existing ethnic communities.

He sees creative industries, such as production companies, which don't need huge spaces in industrial parks, integrating themselves with farmers' markets, hardware stores, restaurants, galleries, residential and green spaces.

Kuruc is leading by example. Mixed Media's new building at Cannon and James is century-old. He and his wife restored it from near-derelict condition, and are renting out the adjoining spaces. But they waited until they found the right fit. You can't rush things, he believes, and he means it.

Beside Mixed Media now are a cycle shop and the White Elephant, which sells handmade goods. Mixed Media itself is stocked with products Kuruc and his wife choose themselves -- many made in Canada, none made in sweat shops.

Fairly priced, he says, and environmentally kosher.

It's about sustainability, says Kuruc. The money he makes at the store he spends in the neighbourhood.

He watches what goes on in the rest of the city. The Pearl Company issue, for instance. "I follow it closely," he says. "What happens there affects us here. It's interesting how when people build houses illegally without a permit, the city says, 'There's nothing we can do.' But when an art space has a nonconforming use it's a different story. It's a head-scratcher. Are they really working for the city?"

He and Theresa have a baby now. Kuruc dreams about what his son will see in 10 years when they walk up and down James Street North together, in the old, new city of Hamilton. He dreams. Then he wakes up and tries to make it happen.

FairHamilton
Feb 25, 2009, 1:54 PM
:tup:

oldcoote
Feb 25, 2009, 3:36 PM
Dave is a reluctant champion of the James North.

He's exactly what this city needs. Young fresh perspective. Kudo's to him.

markk
Feb 25, 2009, 4:06 PM
In my opinion Mixed Media has done more for a community than many city counselors will ever achieve.

Great work Dave -- keep it up.

thistleclub
Feb 25, 2009, 4:47 PM
Dave is a reluctant champion of the James North.

Reluctant how?

oldcoote
Feb 25, 2009, 4:55 PM
Reluctant how?

from the article

He's uncomfortable with the "leadership" tag, but it's one that people are going to stick on him, like it or not. He reluctantly admits that perhaps he does have a kind of "ambassadorial" role when it comes to the James Street North revival.

thistleclub
Feb 25, 2009, 5:12 PM
Didn't catch that. Dave's doing great work for heritage issues and James North, and he does so with a full heart, which is why I found "reluctant champion" odd. I think what makes him uncomfortable is being branded by a newspaper that goes to him for comment on a regular basis. The journalist was looking for a fresh hook but Dave wouldn't bite.

adam
Feb 26, 2009, 2:47 AM
There is indeed a lot to be reluctant about .. most of city council still believes that maximum flow of cars is the primary concern. Contrary to this, Dave and a growing segment of Hamiltonians are giving the downtown culture, value beyond anything that's been there for years.

Reluctance is sometimes a positive thing. We should all be reluctant and raise issue with the low expectations the majority of city council has for the downtown. Its slowly changing from an expressway to a destination.

thistleclub
Feb 26, 2009, 3:27 AM
There is indeed a lot to be reluctant about .. most of city council still believes that maximum flow of cars is the primary concern. ... Reluctance is sometimes a positive thing. We should all be reluctant and raise issue with the low expectations the majority of city council has for the downtown. Its slowly changing from an expressway to a destination.

I gather Mr. Mahoney was just doubling back on the "King of James" comment in one of the paper's recent stories about the district. That would make anyone squirm. But being called a "leader" isn't exactly derogatory, and it shouldn't be something that twentysomethings and thirtysomethings should have reluctance about. There's grounds for the description: Dave founded a heritage-minded monthly magazine, co-founded the Art Crawl, Maker's Market and the James North Initiative, is the de facto media spokesperson for James North and was one of a handful tapped by the Spectator for an executive roundtable discussion on vision priorities for the city. Maybe we can settle for "catalyst"?

hmagazine
May 7, 2009, 3:50 PM
Just thought you all would get a kick out of this newly unveiled ghost sign on James North...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6896521&id=523195502&ref=nf

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6896519&id=523195502&ref=nf

LikeHamilton
May 13, 2009, 1:40 PM
This is next to Acclimation Restaurant on James Street North and is site preparation for a new building owned by them. This is project by John Mokrycke Architect, for a new condo building with ground floor commercial. Acclimation will most likely expand to the new building. The approval for this building is in the hands of the planning department.
John owns several buildings on James North including across the street from this and a small long stay boutique hotel just down the street. He also lives on John Street North.

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/8110/img7460.th.jpg (http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img7460.jpg)
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/3869/img7461.th.jpg (http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img7461.jpg)
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/4372/img7463r.th.jpg (http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img7463r.jpg)
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/6913/img7464.th.jpg (http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img7464.jpg)
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9247/img7465.th.jpg (http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img7465.jpg)

omro
May 13, 2009, 5:41 PM
What happened to the Martini's place? I went past there on the bus the other day and it was all newspapers over the window, has that been like that a while and I wasn't paying attention?

Jon Dalton
May 13, 2009, 6:00 PM
What happened to the Martini's place? I went past there on the bus the other day and it was all newspapers over the window, has that been like that a while and I wasn't paying attention?

Trust me, this is good news for James North.

omro
May 13, 2009, 6:04 PM
Trust me, this is good news for James North.

Really? It looks a nice building. Was it a skank pit inside?

astroblaster
May 13, 2009, 6:43 PM
Really? It looks a nice building. Was it a skank pit inside?

I wondered about this as well?

I never went there.

Any first hand tales?

highwater
May 13, 2009, 6:46 PM
There were stabbings. I think someone might have been killed. When you hear people say they'd never go to James N because there's too much crime, they're thinking of Martini's.

block43
May 13, 2009, 7:05 PM
There's a sign on the front door saying: Closed for renovations, opening soon Classic Cafe and Gallery.

Hopefully they have good coffee.

oldcoote
May 13, 2009, 7:08 PM
There's a sign on the front door saying: Closed for renovations, opening soon Classic Cafe and Gallery.

Hopefully they have good coffee.

BOOYEAH!

Jon Dalton
May 13, 2009, 7:18 PM
I've never been in there, but everyone I know who has was pretty scared.

emge
May 13, 2009, 7:57 PM
There were stabbings. I think someone might have been killed. When you hear people say they'd never go to James N because there's too much crime, they're thinking of Martini's.

The Spec has an article about a fatal shooting (http://thespec.com/article/260350) that happened there October '07 and mentioned another shooting from the year before (http://thespec.com/article/261243), so I guess there was at least one murder there.

Interesting to see how even in less than two years the perception of an area can change - I'd all but forgotten about this stuff. I think I remember the 2007 one because it happened the first week I lived in Hamilton... but what I've heard about the street (and experienced) has been overwhelmingly positive since then.

hmagazine
May 13, 2009, 10:35 PM
Not holding my breath on this change. I'm starting to think it is the same owners just trying to shed the past image of the place.

It can be called whatever - it will still be a blight on the street.

http://www.thespec.com/article/191997

I wish folks here would realize the potential of opening up nice spaces for people to patronize...

adam
May 14, 2009, 2:10 PM
Any word on the bar/music venue that was to be opened on James North by the guy from the band Junior Boys?

hmagazine
May 21, 2009, 4:01 PM
Smart Art -

http://www.hamiltonmagazine.com/sitepages/?aid=939&cn=Arts%20&%20Entertainment&an=A%20&%20E%20ART%20-%20Learning%20To%20Walk

an article on the James North Art Crawl and the local arts economy.

realcity
Jun 11, 2009, 4:53 PM
I heard the "Copper Johns" at James and just south corner op LIUNA Station has new owners the new name is "This isn't Hollywood" after the song by the Hamilton punk band... Forgotten Rebels. Very cool name...

matt602
Jun 11, 2009, 4:54 PM
Hamilton punk is relevant to my interests. I will check this place out, hoping the name isn't as far as the punk theme goes. Hamilton needsneedsneeds more punk venues/bars.

highwater
Jun 11, 2009, 8:18 PM
This should probably be in the James North thread and/or entertainment, but since you're asking...

This Ain't Hollywood just the tonic for James

June 11, 2009
Graham Rockingham
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jun 11, 2009)

Surely, there's no better name for a downtown Hamilton rock bar than This Ain't Hollywood.

It's hard to imagine any place less like Tinseltown than our own city core. This Ain't Hollywood also happens to be the name of the 1981 debut album by Hamilton's punk band, The Forgotten Rebels.

The bar's name was picked by local rocker Glen, The Hamilton Kid, one of three owners of This Ain't Hollywood, which opens Saturday.

Glen, The Hamilton Kid, has a real name but he prefers to be known by the stage name he has used over the years, most notably with the band Sam Lawrence Five. He's brandishing a spiked mohawk haircut along with his Doc Martens and leather motorcycle jacket. Glen's new band, the Steeltown Spoilers, will be the first to grace the stage of This Ain't Hollywood Saturday night. Ownership, he's discovered, carries certain privileges.

Besides being a punk musician, Glen is a Hamilton history buff. He's been digging into the bar's past ever since he took it over with partners Lou Molinaro and Gary Daly. Located at the corner of James North and Murray streets, the tavern is best known as Copper John's, although for the last 10 years it's been called Copper's Corner. The sign still hangs there, waiting to be replaced by the new This Ain't Hollywood marquee. It started out as the McKenzie House, in 1893, Glen says, but by the 1960s, it was called the Turbinia House, named after a ship that sailed the Great Lakes.

Glen, Molinaro and Daly have been doing a lot of work on the place, building a 60-centimetre-high stage at the front, painting the brick walls glossy black and pouring concrete for a new floor for the back room.

When they were ripping up part of a false ceiling over the stage, they came across a stash of more than 20 empty bottles, bunched in with newspapers dating back to 1917.

The bottles now sit on a window sill, labels reading "Hawkins Invalid's Port Wine: Reconstructive Tonic for the Debilitated and Convalescent." There are still corks in them, but the "tonic" is long gone.

When the bar opens Saturday under its new name, there will still be a lot of work to be done. The water pressure sucks and a lot of the trim work will be unfinished. The owners were lucky enough, though, to inherit the sound system from the Pepper Jack Cafe, which closed two weeks ago. They've also talked Pepper Jack soundman Doug Smith to work the mixing board, which is a big plus.

Glen, Daly and Molinaro would like to see the place recapture the same sort of vibe that the Corktown had before it was spruced up.

Molinaro managed and booked the acts for the Corktown during its rock days. Daly knows a fair bit about music, too. He once owned the old Raven club on John Street and owns a vinyl collection that tops 30,000 records.

They hope to be part neighbourhood pub and part rock bar. They've already started booking acts, with ex-Modern Lovers front man Jonathan Richman coming June 24, and Hugh Cornwell of The Stranglers set for Sept. 16.

For information: thisainthollywood.ca or 905-529-9500.

A lot closer to Hollywood, is the glittery new Hess Street club called the Rokbar -- three-storeys of marble, mirrors, chandeliers, state-of-the-art sound systems and long, granite bars that scream out Grey Goose vodka.

On Saturdays and Sundays, The Rokbar is about DJs spinning classic rock, but on other days of the week, especially Thursday, owner Denis Vranich wants high quality live acts. Vranich --who also owns the Gown &Gavel and Elixir across the street -- recently hired Ken Inouye, formerly of the Pepper Jack Cafe, to book the bands for the Rokbar. Tonight, the posh club debuts its live music nights with, The Trews taking the stage.

The Trews, best known for their hit Not Ready To Go, are originally from Nova Scotia, but got their start seven years ago playing Tuesday nights at the old Mermaid basement lounge at Hess and George. The Trews will find things have moved considerably upscale when they plug in tonight at the Rokbar.

The venue takes about 450 people standing, with a rooftop open lounge. There's a good-size balcony framing two sides of the stage and a large HD screen behind the third-floor bar so that patrons won't miss any of the action onstage while they're lounging on the rooftop.

"I want the kind of bands that are playing Lees Palace and the Opera House (in Toronto)," Inouye says. "The kind of bands that are too big for any other club in town and too small for Hamilton Place."

The Old Powerhouse in Stoney Creek has come up with a novel idea to attract budding musicians to the establishment. Next Wednesday the Powerhouse is kicking off a summer-long singer-songwriter competition with the winner taking home a $1,500 cash prize. It will run every Wednesday for 13 weeks, with 10 artists featured each night.

A panel of judges will choose two artists from each night to move on to the semifinals in late August and early September with the finals being held Sept. 9.

The event, organized by Guelph musician Malachi Greenidge, is open to unsigned acts, 16 years of age or older. Registration forms can be picked up at the Old Powerhouse, 905-664-5900. There is a $20 registration fee.

grockingham@thespec.com

905-526-3331

matt602
Jun 12, 2009, 1:00 AM
I had noticed work going on there but I thought it was just being renovated for the same venue. Great location for this place. I hope it stays true to the punk/rock image it is trying to push.

LikeHamilton
Jul 14, 2009, 11:53 PM
Fresh vision for James North

TheSpec.com

Dilapidated rooming house to be reborn as artists’ hub

Meredith MacLeod
A quartet of Hamilton business people take possession of a dilapidated lodging house in the heart of James Street North tomorrow.

By the time they’re done and about $1 million later, the 120-year-old Hotel Hamilton will be converted into working studios for the street’s burgeoning arts community.

The investors hope to attract artists and creative types — painters, media artists, videographers, sound editors, maybe accountants and interior designers — driven out by the high cost of rent in Toronto or who want to move a growing business out of their house.

It’s hoped the first tenants could move into James North StudioWorks in October, but there are a number of city permits and variances to get.

The imposing three-floor structure at the corner of James and Mulberry has seen better days.

The investors figure it will take weeks and numerous dumpsters to clean out the building of junked furniture, worn-out carpet and thousands of square feet of plaster painted bargain-bin colours of orange, purple and pink.

Glen Norton, a business consultant, partnered with insurance broker Dan Lawrie and lawyers Scott Smith and Mike Clarke to find an old building to bring back to life.

After working out a business plan and looking at several properties, they settled on the old Jamesville hotel for $530,000 from a Toronto-based company that bought it close to three years ago.

They know they’ve tackled a big job.

None of them has done a project like this but they are passionate about making a difference in the core.

“There are lots of people with vision who see James as the key to the downtown,” said Norton.

“We need to establish critical mass and build some momentum,” said Smith.

This is considered a key building on James North. It’s large, on a corner and right in the middle of redevelopment happening both north and south of Cannon Street.

Known over the years as the Drake and the Siesta, the hotel was built about 1887 for soldiers training at the armouries across the street.

The investors plan to strip the walls down to expose the exterior and interior brick walls. There are original tongue and groove pine floors to refinish, windows to replace.

Plans call for 17 studios but that could change if artists want bigger spaces. The 9,000-square-foot building will also include a shared boardroom, kitchen and washrooms with showers.

The smallest units will rent for $400 a month, including utilities, with the largest corner units going for $650.

There are four retail units on street level, one occupied by a laundromat linked to the hotel and another is a jeweller.

The investors hope to attract a co-op gallery for artists and perhaps a European-style coffeehouse.

When it’s finished, the building will be run by the Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts, a local nonprofit that manages three other artists facilities.

To inquire about the project, contact Glen Norton at 905-870-1632 or glennorton@quickclic.net or Jeremy Freiburger at 905-548-0111.

mmacleod@thespec.com
905-526-3408

omro
Jul 15, 2009, 12:09 AM
Very cool, I wanted that place. I wanted to put a coffeeshop there and spend my days watching soldiers walk past :-P

Alas, not enough funds to be able to afford to renovate the building to quite that scale.

Brilliant news for James North. I look forward to sitting in that coffee shop, when it's complete, and watch soldiers walk past :haha:

coalminecanary
Jul 15, 2009, 2:35 AM
This building should be residential...

omro
Jul 15, 2009, 2:42 AM
As opposed to studio space?

FairHamilton
Jul 15, 2009, 3:05 AM

My problem with residential for that type of building is that there are already vacant properties in the core, i.e. Trinity Landing project, that have attempted residential, and failed.

Personally, I think downtown Hamilton needs jobs, jobs filled by young people. It should be CSI positioned, http://socialinnovation.ca. Once there are more jobs for young people, that type of residential will follow.

coalminecanary
Jul 15, 2009, 3:33 AM
Well, I don't mean lofts, condos, etc.

I mean sturdy, clean apartments with character that artists and students can afford to live in.

People want to live in and around james north, but the available units are either too fancy ($) or complete crap.

omro
Jul 15, 2009, 4:00 AM

I mean sturdy, clean apartments with character that artists and students can afford to live in.

People want to live in and around james north, but the available units are either too fancy ($) or complete crap.

I doubt cheap apartments would net a similar return on investment, as each apartment needs a washroom and kitchen area, increasing the cost and reducing the number of units available.

coalminecanary
Jul 15, 2009, 5:17 AM
Yup - the business case is clear in the short run - but an oversaturation of studios and nowhere for the artists to live is a bad long term recipe...

thistleclub
Jul 15, 2009, 10:37 AM
Very cool, I wanted that place. I wanted to put a coffeeshop there and spend my days watching soldiers walk past :-P

The Annex Lofts had similar plans for its ground floor. Alas, facing Rebecca and not James North. Still vacant after five years, despite its residential and creative class neighbours. A "European-style coffeehouse" isn't something I would've thought James North lacked, but maybe what they want is a Starbucks for their Drake.

SteelTown
Jul 15, 2009, 11:17 AM
Great news about the Hotel Hamilton. Used to be a big crack house.

http://media.hamiltonspectator.topscms.com/images/2b/fb/522a065f48418f0caced2e6c6ad0.jpeg

SteelTown
Jul 15, 2009, 11:20 AM
Downtown resuscitation project
120-year-old Hamilton Hotel being turned into art studios

July 15, 2009
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/600145

A quartet of Hamilton business people take possession of a dilapidated lodging house in the heart of James Street North today.

By the time they're done and about $1 million later, the 120-year-old Hotel Hamilton will be converted into working studios for the street's burgeoning arts community.

The investors hope to attract artists and creative types -- painters, media artists, videographers, sound editors, maybe accountants and interior designers -- driven out by the high cost of rent in Toronto or who want to move a growing business out of their house.

It's hoped the first tenants could move into James North StudioWorks in October, but city permits and variances must be gotten first.

The imposing three-floor structure at the corner of James and Mulberry has seen better days.

The investors figure it will take weeks and numerous Dumpsters to clear out the building's junked furniture, worn-out carpet and thousands of square feet of plaster -- painted bargain-bin colours of orange, purple and pink.

Glen Norton, a business consultant, partnered with insurance broker Dan Lawrie and lawyers Scott Smith and Mike Clarke to find an old building to bring back to life.

After working out a business plan and looking at several properties, they settled on the old Jamesville hotel for $530,000 from a Toronto-based company that bought it close to three years ago.

They know they've tackled a big job.

None of them has done a project like this but they are passionate about making a difference in the core.

"There are lots of people with vision who see James as the key to the downtown," said Norton.

"We need to establish critical mass and build some momentum," said Smith.

This is considered a key building on James North. It's large, on a corner and right in the middle of redevelopment happening both north and south of Cannon Street.

Known over the years as the Drake and the Siesta, the hotel was built about 1887 for soldiers training at the armouries across the street.

The investors plan to strip the walls down to expose the exterior and interior brick walls.

There are original tongue-and-groove pine floors to refinish, and windows to replace.

Plans call for 17 studios but that could change if artists want bigger spaces. The 9,000-square-foot building will also include a shared boardroom, kitchen and washrooms with showers.

The smallest units will rent for $400 a month, including utilities, with the largest corner units going for $650.

There are four retail units on street level; one is occupied by a laundromat linked to the hotel and another is a jeweller.

The investors hope to attract a co-op gallery for artists and perhaps a European-style coffeehouse.

Randy, a tenant since 1990, says the street needs this building to be turned around. He's now acting as a security guard for the place.

Randy moved in just about the time the colourful and controversial Reverend Ron Burridge bought Hotel Hamilton.

He rented out daily rooms for $100 a day but eventually switched over to monthly rentals to single men for $400 a month.

A former hair colourist and part-time exorcist, Burridge was outspoken about his dislike of Hamilton and what he considered the rampant problems on James North.

His critics believed his building contributed to the drug and prostitution problems he railed against.

He also often blasted the business association on James North and headed an alternate group that held monthly meetings at his hotel.

Burridge took off for Mexico after selling the building.

At one time, there were 22 tenants but that had dwindled to four or five.

They have all cleared out now. Some have left behind a lot of junk -- stained mattresses, clothes strewn about, furniture that looks like it's weathered a flood.

But there are some treasures, too. The group plans a street sale to get rid of clawfoot tubs and some of the memorabilia of the old hotel.

When it's finished, the building will be run by the Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts, a local nonprofit that manages three other artist facilities.

"It's fantastic," executive director Jeremy Freiburger says of the new project. "This is one of those spaces on James that tons of people have talked about for years. ... Corner lots tend to be anchors for chunks of the street."

And there is growing demand for spots for artists to work, he says. The ICCA has a waiting list of 25 to 30 people.

Teachers Credit Union, which is financing the James North StudioWorks project, is behind another seven or eight developments on James North, says Tom Wilson, director of commercial services.

He says TCU is firmly behind efforts to resuscitate the downtown.

"We don't have to convince somebody in Toronto why this is a good investment for Hamilton," he said.

"When you have the commitment from these kinds of individuals willing to invest their savings and energy, why wouldn't you want to help those people out?"

To inquire about the project, contact Glen Norton at 905-870-1632 or glennorton@quickclic.net or Jeremy Freiburger at 905-548-0111.

FairHamilton
Jul 15, 2009, 12:37 PM

Trinity could be converted from a defunct condo project into strudy, clean apartments with character, even with how the outside looks. But there doesn't seem to be a business case for that type of housing in that area. At least not currently, otherwise it would happen.

highwater
Jul 15, 2009, 12:38 PM
the James North StudioWorks project

Again with the lame-ass names. What is it with this town?

thistleclub
Jul 15, 2009, 1:17 PM

The 9,000-square-foot building will also include a shared boardroom, kitchen and washrooms with showers.

Sounds like a cushy version of the classic cold-water flat. Throw a bar fridge, hot plate and cot in your studio and you're gold.

omro
Jul 15, 2009, 1:44 PM
Yup - the business case is clear in the short run - but an oversaturation of studios and nowhere for the artists to live is a bad long term recipe...

We thought that too, that there was perhaps a potential for too many studios in that area causing a lack of demand. Especially when you consider the costs of paying for studio space and living space. Our thought process was to have small living spaces (kitchen, bathroom, bedroom) attached to a larger studio/sitting room.

However, the thing that stopped us persuing the building was that it's not the entire building anymore, the last unit on the north end of James (with yellow signage) is actually a separate entity, so that reduced the internal space and also the ability to create a consistent aesthetic on the exterior of the building. With the reduced internal space, we couldn't see how it would be possible to create enough apartments of legally conforming sizes which would generate enough income to cover the renovation costs, so the studio idea with shared facilities does make the most logical sense. Also what we considered too great an issue with the separated section was that it reduced control over the entire building and that rear access was through the rear space of the separated section. The article does meantion 4 retail units, as the building was marketed with 4: 3 on James, 1 on Mulberry. They could have brokered a deal to buy back the separate section, however we were told that that would be at least an additional $200k on top of the marketed price of $579k or $599k (I forget which) that the building was up for.

As for a coffee shop... James North seriously lacks a decent young trendy arty something geared coffee shop, so we actually thought that was a decent business to put there. Your young trendy arty something is not that likely to spend their days in the other places on that street that serve coffee, mainly because they cater to middle aged italian or middle aged portuguese men and lack that young trendy arty something look that would attract them into the place.

Though, also of note, when we were looking at the building, the Martini bar across the way was still a bar and it now is going to be a cafe/coffee shop/gallery which probably will compete for business. That could have an impact upon the viability of this business.

FairHamilton
Jul 15, 2009, 3:12 PM
Again with the lame-ass names. What is it with this town?

Yeah, I would have called it This Ain't Hollywood. What do you mean taken! Then lets go with Street Meat BBQ. Huh, what do you mean that's gone too.....

Let's do a brainstorm, and see if we can get something better.

adam
Jul 15, 2009, 4:37 PM
What about just keeping the original name Hotel Hamilton? Especially if they are keeping a lot of the original features.

rousseau
Jul 15, 2009, 4:59 PM
What about just keeping the original name Hotel Hamilton?
Yes, that would be the best name, it doesn't matter that it won't be a hotel anymore. If anything, that would be super kewl, when you think about it.

Jon Dalton
Jul 15, 2009, 5:11 PM
I wonder if something like this could make it in the ground floor: http://www.greenbeanery.ca/bean/home.php

FairHamilton
Jul 15, 2009, 5:26 PM
Hotel Hamilton works well, and if they wanted to differentiate it from the recent past they could do something like the following;

Hamilton Hotel Arts
Hamilton Hotel Studios
Hamilton Hotel Collective

The could also leverage a previous name, i.e. The Drake Artist Collective. Or how about Siesta Fiesta (that one was a joke).

emge
Jul 15, 2009, 11:14 PM
I wonder if something like this could make it in the ground floor: http://www.greenbeanery.ca/bean/home.php

I've been there a few times. It's a great space. It would be amazing to see something like that on James North.

I also agree that a coffee shop that's easy to walk into (no "intimidation" factor") would be nice to have on James North. If there's not familiarity like there is with a chain, there needs to be a very welcoming atmosphere, signage, and product.

Although I do wonder if James North has the foot traffic required (I think coffee shops generally rely on 1 in 200 people who walk by stopping, though I could be wrong, that's one figure I've heard) to keep up anything of that calibre - the Green Beanery in the Annex has packed sidewalks past it all day and is across the street from Honest Ed's.

Pretty great to dream, though, isn't it?

omro
Jul 15, 2009, 11:45 PM
It'll definitely get foot traffic one night a month if it's open late enough ;)

thistleclub
Jul 16, 2009, 10:07 AM
I also agree that a coffee shop that's easy to walk into (no "intimidation" factor") would be nice to have on James North. If there's not familiarity like there is with a chain, there needs to be a very welcoming atmosphere, signage, and product.

If you said that about somewhere like Mex-I-Can, it would be heresy.

Blurr
Jul 16, 2009, 11:18 AM
Ragin Cajan will be opening on James St N on August 14th. Louisiana cuisine. North of Robert St on the east side.

I also noticed a soccer store open at 240 James N. I think it is new... I have never seen it before.

adam
Jul 16, 2009, 1:20 PM
If you said that about somewhere like Mex-I-Can, it would be heresy.

I could be wrong but isn't Mex-i-can a cultural gathering place for Hamilton's Mexican population? What does this have to do with a coffee shop?

omro
Jul 16, 2009, 1:36 PM
I could be wrong but isn't Mex-i-can a cultural gathering place for Hamilton's Mexican population? What does this have to do with a coffee shop?

Nothing, but it's a comment on the theme (which was brought up in the discussion about coffee shops) about certain places on James North already providing a good service, but potentially putting off "young trendy" or "out of town" types by its lack of inclusivity.

thistleclub
Jul 16, 2009, 2:59 PM
I've never thought of Mex-I-Can as a Hispanic-centric cultural centre. What I was getting at was the idea that you might be able to draw more people to somewhere like Mex-I-Can if you dressed it up for maximum market penetration, but that in doing so you would sacrifice something ineffable about what makes a place great. The Gown and Gavel, for example, as opposed to The Winking Judge.

It's also possible that for people who've frequented James North for more than five years (some of them WASP!), the "cultural" valuation of the street doesn't merely hinge on the gallery set.

That said, coffee places seem to be fairly blue chip. (I wouldn't have thought three blocks of Locke South would need four java joints, but there you are.) I'm sure it'll serve a market.

SABBATICAL!
Jul 16, 2009, 3:45 PM
I've been there a few times. It's a great space. It would be amazing to see something like that on James North.

Although I do wonder if James North has the foot traffic required (I think coffee shops generally rely on 1 in 200 people who walk by stopping, though I could be wrong, that's one figure I've heard) to keep up anything of that calibre - the Green Beanery in the Annex has packed sidewalks past it all day and is across the street from Honest Ed's.

Pretty great to dream, though, isn't it?

Green Beanery is largely focused on bulk sales of green coffee, though, not so much prepared coffee retail, so it's a bit of a different model...

However:

I'm part of an organization starting up this fall called Ethical Coffee Chain. We're rebuilding the coffee supply chain from the ground up to lower the price of fairly traded coffee while maximizing returns for the farmers, creating as direct a relationship between the two as possible.

We're planning on shipping containers of coffee right into Hamilton Harbour and would like to locate somewhere near the harbour, so James North would be a perfect location for us to put a storefront!

I've already been talking to the owners of the James Market stretch about their properties, Dave at Mixed Media a bit, and some others, trying to sketch out potential locations. Didn't realize this building would be an option, potentially!

Anyone have the contact info for the guys working on this project? I'd love to chat with them... adam@ethicalcoffeechain.org

highwater
Jul 16, 2009, 5:04 PM
Wow. Great idea. Good luck.

emge
Jul 17, 2009, 1:35 AM
I've never thought of Mex-I-Can as a Hispanic-centric cultural centre. What I was getting at was the idea that you might be able to draw more people to somewhere like Mex-I-Can if you dressed it up for maximum market penetration, but that in doing so you would sacrifice something ineffable about what makes a place great. The Gown and Gavel, for example, as opposed to The Winking Judge.

It's also possible that for people who've frequented James North for more than five years (some of them WASP!), the "cultural" valuation of the street doesn't merely hinge on the gallery set.

That said, coffee places seem to be fairly blue chip. (I wouldn't have thought three blocks of Locke South would need four java joints, but there you are.) I'm sure it'll serve a market.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree... you don't just want to stick a Starbucks on the corner, but that may be the only way a coffee shop (in some areas) would get enough business to thrive.

I've been a barista at chains and independents, Toronto and Hamilton, and my current perspective is coming from the International Village area of King Street... where two cafes have opened and shut down, another one survives by being a restaurant as well, and the last is a nonprofit staffed by volunteers. People have tried to make it, and even with foot traffic and everything else they can't make a single cafe survive on that stretch on its own merits.

Thinking of the non-gallery nights in particular, when one doesn't have a somewhat-guaranteed clientele, I'm just emphasizing that there needs to be a good business model in place, and people need to be aware of what goes into making a successful coffee business and business in general.

Coffee's not so much of a niche market (like authentic Mexican food in the heart of the city!) that people won't just wait till they come upon a boring-but-familiar Tim Hortons instead if it's not welcoming.

It doesn't necessitate anything being watered down, but it does mean things as boring as good lighting and a well-designed entryway are important if someone does hope to open a coffee shop that will thrive on the day-to-day foot traffic in the area.

Adam/sabbatical! -- that is a fantastic idea, and all the best. Keep us updated here!

thistleclub
Jul 17, 2009, 4:37 AM
Maybe it seemed that was oversimplifying the business case for coffeehouses. Not my intent at all. I'm aware of the turnover in IV (not just in cafes, but small business in general) and it can be demoralizing. I'm sure that a brand franchise would do decently well, but I guess we'll see how much it takes to put consumers at ease. You'd hope that authenticity is something they'd crave from an urban experience, but everybody has their comfort zone.

Another challenge is City Hall's return to Main West in 2010. True, James and Mulberry is three blocks away from the City Centre offices, but it's a large number of customers who would have figured out that the distance is only slightly farther than the walk to Tims in Jackson Square. (And the urban planning office seems to be the closest, which would be a natural.) Hopefully the Hotel Hamilton project stirs some imaginative investments that will offset that migration.

jgrwatson
Jul 17, 2009, 11:22 PM
Coffeeshops in Hamilton is such an oddity. You have Starbucks on Locke, a trial store, turned out to be one of the busiest in Canada. They are planning another 10 or something in the Niagara region. Then you had Main Street/Infusions, etc, that couldn't last. Sadly, Hamilton can't support a local coffeeshop - Hamilton NEEDS a name, like Starbucks, downtown.

There is a demand. There is a demand b/c I live in Gore Park and I walk all the way to Locke to get coffee (and so does everyone I know living in the dt area).

I support local business, but I have a hard time sometimes drinking my coffee in a mall...

Don't you think Starbucks has done its research or even attempted about coffee in Gore Park? Rumour had it there is a Starbucks locating around John and King (maybe McKay?), and the property manager said there has been talks. Would you all support?