PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento's Golden Spike

thomasdodson2004
Oct 21, 2008, 3:07 AM
Has anyone seen the images for the proposed Golden Spike? It's a 40-story office building proposed for Sacramento. Take a look at the images on my blog. They are at www.dodsonconsultants.blogspot.com. If there is enough interest, I will get the specs and put the drawings on this site.

wburg
Oct 21, 2008, 5:06 AM
Okay, now I'm practically sure that this whole "Golden Spike" thing is some sort of prank. The linked site shows the proposed "Golden Spike" site as planned for the site where Union Pacific wants to realign their mainline, and where the new Amtrak passenger sheds will be located. In other words, it ain't gonna happen there.

innov8
Oct 21, 2008, 5:19 AM
Yeah, I agree… some bazaar publicity stunt. The rendering are cheap as well.

Thomas, I think it’s awful… really bad. That gold glass and knob on the top
look terrible to me. I would love to see a 40 story tower built here, but this
is not it. IMO, it’s worse than the original proposal for the 500 Capitol Mall site (Parthenon).

BTW, this was posted last Friday from the SBJ on page 181 of the
construction thread and it got no love. Looks like someone has plagiarized
wburg’s great line to describe it on your blog too. :haha:

TWAK
Oct 21, 2008, 5:23 AM
why can't they just build a regular dam tower? 40 storys would be awesome. I'm a beggar too, I'll take anything but just not a giant upside down boot or whatever the hell that is

bc sacramento
Oct 21, 2008, 2:38 PM
Seriously! This project goes to show that there are people in this community that have no business designing or developing.
Disneyland is 6 hours south. Put the spike there, strap some seats to it, and call it the tower of terror 2.

TowerDistrict
Oct 21, 2008, 4:32 PM
here... i fixed it for you.

http://www.hellobubba.com/images/GoldenSpike.jpg

innov8
Oct 21, 2008, 5:15 PM
^ The location of this one is really weird. For this tower to be built behind
the tower bridge in West Sac, it would be somewhere by City Hall off West
Capitol Blvd… and that makes no logical since to build there. It really needs
to go back to the drawing board... GOLD???

TowerDistrict
Oct 21, 2008, 9:35 PM
So besides the location, concept and design... it's okay? :hmmm:

deeann
Oct 21, 2008, 11:16 PM
Is it a robot in disguise?

austinjfox
Oct 22, 2008, 4:25 AM
a tower with maybe some gold trimming or something might be okay. but this crap makes 0 sense to build.

Grimnebulin
Oct 22, 2008, 6:12 AM
For some reason, word is getting out about this monstrosity...ugh.

http://io9.com/5066730/new-phaser+shaped-office-tower-for-california

bc sacramento
Oct 22, 2008, 8:15 PM
Seriously, when is someone going to stop posting this tird all over the net?

ozone
Oct 25, 2008, 4:47 AM
The guy who has "proposed" this gold spike thingie was at every Railyards community meeting pushing his idea and I think he can't understand why everyone doesn't see what genius he is. It's kinda like, dare I say ...a really stupid idea? Hey I've had plenty of stupid ideas over the years before so I'll cut him some slack but he seriously needs to give it up. He must be perma-stoned.

ltsmotorsport
Oct 25, 2008, 7:45 AM
So he's the crazy guy in the room everyone dismisses.......i.e. 'menacing the dome'.

ozone
Oct 25, 2008, 3:46 PM
:previous: Well, I wouldn't dismiss an observation tower per se -but a golden spike?

Aside from the questionable aesthetic value and even more to the point is that at the completion of the transcontinental railroad the ceremonial golden spike was driven in at Promontory Summit in Utah (Golden Spike National Historic Site) and not in Sacramento.