PDA

View Full Version : Abby May Join Metro Vancouver

Hong Kongese
Oct 17, 2008, 5:38 AM
Chamber likes idea of merger

But pros, cons of Metro link needs studying

Marcia Downham, The Times
Published: Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce will ask the city, after its new mayor and council are voted in next month, to consider the possibility of joining Metro Vancouver, said the chamber's executive director.

Using Abbotsford's airshed and waste concerns as examples, David D. Hull said if Abbotsford were joined with Metro Vancouver, the city would have had more input and a direct vote on whether or not to build six waste-to-energy facilities.

"The waste is just one really good example - we're invited to listen and give our input, but we are not a voting member, and gosh, you have to wonder maybe it would make sense to be there and vote," said Hull.

He said the chamber is not "presumptuous" enough to know whether it would be a good or a bad idea to join Metro Vancouver; they just want the city to discuss how it could all play out.

"I can't or nobody else can say what the right thing or wrong thing to do is until we look at it," said Hull.

"So many decisions, activities and jurisdictions have a direct affect on Abbotsford, and the thought is that it would make sense to be on the inside helping to make decisions instead of on the outside saying 'hey what about us?' "

If Abbotsford did join Metro Vancouver it would not be a small player as it would be the "No. 5" city at the table, said Hull.

"Size-wise and power of position we would actually be well placed," he said.

© Abbotsford Times 2008

twoNeurons
Oct 17, 2008, 5:28 PM
YXX could officially be Metro Vancouver's second airport if that happened.

Distill3d
Oct 17, 2008, 7:41 PM
if this means translink will start operating service to and from Abbotsford, that wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Metro-One
Oct 17, 2008, 7:44 PM
It would also add over 150 000 people to Metro Vancouver's official population.

nickinacan
Oct 17, 2008, 8:02 PM
I say go for it. The only con would be that Abby would have to have aircare. I'm sure the other cities in the valley will follow suit.

sacrifice333
Oct 17, 2008, 8:23 PM
a) isn't aircare being phased out? if yes, than that wouldn't be an issue
b) we'd have to go to Chilliwack (or Aldergrove I supposed) for 'cheaper' gas

nickinacan
Oct 17, 2008, 10:14 PM
a) isn't aircare being phased out? if yes, than that wouldn't be an issue
b) we'd have to go to Chilliwack (or Aldergrove I supposed) for 'cheaper' gas

From the Aircare homepage:

The current testing contract with Envirotest Canada to provide light-duty vehicle emissions testing in this region runs until December 31, 2011. The Province has not made a decision on the future of light-duty vehicle emissions testing beyond 2011. In 2009 - 2010, the Province is scheduled to review the performance of AirCare and determine if automobile emissions remain a significant contributor to the air quality in this region and, if so, the most suitable program model for the future. LINK (http://www.aircare.ca/faqwindow.php?id=56)

Distill3d
Oct 17, 2008, 10:35 PM
I say go for it. The only con would be that Abby would have to have aircare. I'm sure the other cities in the valley will follow suit.

Abbotsford and Chilliwack have had AirCare since AirCare came around. i remember living in The Wack about 5 years ago and having to have my 99 GTI pass AirCare.

LeftCoaster
Oct 17, 2008, 11:02 PM
Isn't Abbotsford a CSA? Isn't it technically impossible in Canada for a CSA and an MSA to amalgomate?

Kwik-E-Mart
Oct 18, 2008, 2:51 AM
This should pave way for the ultimate merger of Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley Regional District.

Remember the mess Toronto has created by having six (or more if you include Niagara, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Peterborough) regional governments that are too busy squabbling and mudslinging each other for money and bragging rights than to devise real solutions and move forward.

For the benefit of Lower Mainland and BC as a whole, municipal and provincial officials must make this happen... or else.

raggedy13
Oct 18, 2008, 6:06 AM
Interesting. It would be neat for the Metro to have a sudden large population gain. Based on the Statscan 2007 population estimates (http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/demo05a.htm), adding Abbotsford would bump up Metro Vancouver to about 2,450,500. Not bad at all.

fever
Oct 18, 2008, 4:28 PM
Abbotsford City is 123,864 while Abbotsford CMA is 159,020, the difference being Mission basically. It would be 35,000 less than that figure, unless Mission joined too.

cornholio
Oct 19, 2008, 8:50 PM
Hope is the only place in the valley that doesnt require aircare for vehicles...and everything east of that.

Its almost guaranteed that aircare will be phased out and when that happens I have a another car that I will be insuring since it cant pass aircare unless I do a crap load of work on it.

SpongeG
Oct 19, 2008, 10:23 PM
aircare is pretty much gone now

I think unless you have a really old car its no longer required

Kodii
Dec 1, 2008, 7:45 AM
Abbotsford News
City hall freezes hirings

By Joe Millican - Abbotsford News

Published: November 26, 2008 6:00 PM
Updated: November 27, 2008 4:09 PM

0 Comments

Abbotsford city hall will save an estimated $1 million in the next year after implementing a staff hiring freeze, new mayor-elect George Peary said yesterday.

Peary told Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce members that, as of Tuesday this week, the hierarchy at city hall has ruled that vacant staff management positions will not necessarily be filled in a bid to save cash.

That will automatically impact three senior management positions in which replacements have not yet been hired, Peary explained.

“The senior staff will lead the way,” Peary told chamber members at the organization’s monthly luncheon in the Salvation Army Cascade Community Church on Delair Road.

As a result of the decision, every position in which a replacement is sought “in the foreseeable future” must first receive the approval of city manager Frank Pizzuto, Peary pointed out.

“We hope to raise $1 million by not hiring a full staffing complement in the next year,” Peary continued, recognizing the decision would “leave a real hole.”

“That’s one per cent less you would pay in a tax increase. We are going to eat it because we know you are facing similar challenges in your businesses.”

Earlier in his speech, Peary had warned of tough economic times, explaining that by law, a municipality can not run a deficit.

“I hope the chamber will take an interest in the forthcoming [2009] budget deliberations,” said Peary.

“If you are going to come to us and say reduce taxes, tell us the services you can do without. Don’t come and say reduce taxes and leave it at that – you know better.”

Peary also called on chamber of commerce staff to voice their concerns about city hall operations to staff in private, rather than air them publicly.

“I don’t know if it serves the community well or the city well to have the shots going off in public,” he said.

Addressing other key issues, Peary spoke against the possibility of Abbotsford joining Metro Vancouver.

“I don’t think we are going to join Metro,” he said.

“It would be very expensive, and Metro is controlled by the three biggest cities to the west of us. We think our city belongs in the Fraser Valley.”

Despite some negativity in his speech, Peary said Abbotsford is still moving in the right direction with building permits and business licenses up from January to October 2008, compared to the same period in 2006 and 2007.

He said Abbotsford has numerous strengths, including the new hospital, the new university status at UFV, the airport, and the agriculture sector.

The new mayor also had time for a handful of light-hearted quips.

According to Peary, that taxpayers have already made one saving when it comes to any fees from removing the name of current mayor George Ferguson’s from his office door.

“[The name] George stays,” he said.

Peary also described Abbotsford as having a “worship waist” rather than being “the Bible Belt.”

“Yes, we have churches but we have other houses of worship as well,” he said.

“We are an inclusive community and want to welcome everybody here.”

As much as I hate the disconnect and lack of convenient accessibility between Abbotsford and Vancouver, it does not seem right for us to join with Metro Vancouver. Our identity lies with the Valley. I am glad that our new mayor, George Peary, agrees.

SunCoaster
Dec 2, 2008, 1:57 AM
Out of curiousity is Aldergrove considered to be part of the Township of Langley? If so then it's already included in the GVRD ... if not then there are roughly 8,000 to 10,000 people in 'metro' Aldergrove (town and surrounding area) which could be added to the GVRD population if the GVRD ends up going further east into the valley.

Still on the GVRD expanding into the valley, is Chilliwack considered to be too far east to ever join the GVRD and thereby, perhaps, 'pumping' another 70,000+ into Vancouver's CMA?

Also, for my edification, what's the difference between a township (as in Township of Langley) and a district (as in District of North Vancouver)?

Kodii
Dec 2, 2008, 4:23 AM
Yes, Aldergrove is a part of the Township of Langley, so it is already a part of Metro Vancouver. The border of Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley lies between Aldergrove and Abbotsford, and similarly to the north of the Fraser River before Mission.

IIRC, both the District of North Vancouver and the Township of Langley are both district municipalities within Metro Vancouver. They simply use different names.

SpongeG
Dec 2, 2008, 7:19 AM
I don't think so cause gas cause is usually 11 cents cheaper in aldergrove because its not part of the GVRD tax on gas thing

you cross that one street and gas jumps

Whalleyboy
Dec 2, 2008, 4:29 PM
I bet when Surrey becomes a core abby will join up with metro Surrey

nickinacan
Dec 2, 2008, 4:45 PM
I bet when Surrey becomes a core abby will join up with metro Surrey

That is a possibility. If Surrey does indeed set up a successful core, it will definitely split the economic and cultural influence between itself and Vancouver. I could definitely see a North of the Fraser and South of the Fraser thing happening in that case. But there is still much work to be done!

Whalleyboy
Dec 2, 2008, 6:28 PM
well if surrey becomes a core its likely langley and delta would be come suburbs of surrey instead of vancouver and langley is about same distance give or take a bit from vancouver as abby is from surrey

and surreys doing it part i just hope the skytrain doesnt go threw to guildford i want to see the other thing go up cause surrey is finally starting to show a core thats shinning above the dozen others we dont need a skytrain going to guildford and messing everything up and making it all confused again

SunCoaster
Dec 3, 2008, 2:34 AM
I don't think so cause gas cause is usually 11 cents cheaper in aldergrove because its not part of the GVRD tax on gas thing

you cross that one street and gas jumps

:previous: Agreed ... just last week I bought gas for $0.909/litre @ the Chevron station located on the SW corner of 264th and Fraser Hwy (Langley/Aldergrove border) ... I then drove through Aldergrove and voila all the stations located on the eastend of Aldergrove, around 276th Street and Fraser Hwy, were priced @ $0.839/litre ... grrr was I po'd :hell:

Vancouver_Highrise
Dec 3, 2008, 4:33 AM
"well if surrey becomes a core its likely langley and delta would be come suburbs of surrey instead of vancouver...."

That's just retarded.. last time I checked surrey was a suburb of Vancouver and so is Burnaby newwest.. richmond etc etc

Metro-One
Dec 3, 2008, 5:02 AM
:previous: People are creatures of habit, and the idea of change frightens them. Surrey could one day become a center all on its own, no one knows, unless you have a time machine? If you do please tell us that the RC gets built! PS - At one time New Westminster was the center of the Lower Mainland while Vancouver was still a sleepy lumber town.

Kodii
Dec 3, 2008, 7:14 AM
By the time (and if) Surrey becomes a center of its own, Abbotsford will probably have developed to the point that it would not join with Surrey, but rather develop towards becoming a third center, as the distance between Surrey and Abbotsford is still quite considerable.

In regards to Aldergrove, I am not certain why the gas is cheaper there than in the rest of Metro Vancouver, but it IS (without a doubt) a part of the Township of Langley and Metro Vancouver. After all, the Greater Vancouver Zoo is located there :)

mezzanine
Dec 3, 2008, 7:35 AM
Aldergrove is Metro. You see "township of langley' signage in aldergrove and the nearby gloucester industrial area, as you do in, say willoughby and walnut grove. I think the reason for gas price difference is geography - abby is across the line from aldergrove, and aldergrove is somewhat separate by greenbelt from the rest of langley, not unlike the peace river district in BC having to compete with alberta prices.

I do see the start of an early rivalry between surrey and abby, not unlike surrey and vancouver

Whalleyboy
Dec 3, 2008, 6:07 PM
:previous: People are creatures of habit, and the idea of change frightens them. Surrey could one day become a center all on its own, no one knows, unless you have a time machine? If you do please tell us that the RC gets built! PS - At one time New Westminster was the center of the Lower Mainland while Vancouver was still a sleepy lumber town.

that's completely true there use to be a time when new west use to eclipse vancouver as a city
i wouldnt have been surprised if those days people thought of vancouver as a suburb of new west lol

theres a funny thought

nickinacan
Dec 3, 2008, 6:46 PM

Very true. Not to mention that Vancouver might one day even become a suburb of Surrey. It is at the centre of the Lower Mainland after all. :P

Whalleyboy
Dec 3, 2008, 8:00 PM
Very true. Not to mention that Vancouver might one day even become a suburb of Surrey. It is at the centre of the Lower Mainland after all. :P

if anything they'll become twin citys
vancouver will never become a suburb
burnaby, richmond and maple ridge would stay as suburbs of vancouver
and
delta, langley and if the lrt goes through likely abby would become the suburbs of surrey

twoNeurons
Dec 3, 2008, 11:00 PM

Just like Minneapolis (http://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=Minneapolis+Twin+cities&fb=1&ll=44.949249,-93.187408&spn=0.59384,0.933838&z=10)?