PDA

View Full Version : Painted Mailboxes?

Dmajackson
Sep 24, 2008, 5:18 PM
THis is interesting:

Uteck calls for mailbox cleanup

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Wed. Sep 24 - 12:17 PM

Canada Post should be prevented from installing any new mailboxes until they clean up the existing ones, says a regional councillor.

Coun. Sue Uteck (Northwest Arm-South End) says graffiti-covered letter boxes are an eyesore.

"They are still the worst corporate offender out there," she told fellow councillors at a committee meeting Tuesday morning. "And I don’t want them to have any more boxes until they commit to what Aliant has done with a painting project."

Aliant started a cabinet mural program on its transformer boxes a few years ago in an effort to deal with graffiti, and Ms. Uteck said it has worked.

"(Canada Post should) just paint the box, like Aliant, and be a good corporate citizen," she said.

When she was informed that the federal Crown corporation that oversees mail delivery has a jurisdictional right to put its mailboxes wherever it chooses, Ms. Uteck pressed on.

"Well, let’s just wage a little public war," she said.

Mayor Peter Kelly said staff could alert the Crown corporation that a new public art policy is in the works.

Ms. Uteck said that would do.

"Or I’ll have the whole football team move them out of District 13," she quipped, referring to the Saint Mary’s University team her late husband, Larry Uteck, used to coach.

Coun. Sheila Fougere, (Connaught-Quinpool), who is running for mayor in October’s municipal election, said Canada Post unveiled a new mailbox design during a presentation to the Federation of Canadian Municipalities a few years ago. The Maple Leaf design was meant to counter graffiti, she said.

"I don’t know if they have made any attempt to roll out that new design or to re-decal their boxes, but they have a plan,’ Ms. Fougere said. "They just haven’t done anything about it here."

The discussion came up during debate on a new public art policy for the municipality.

"We’ve only had one piece of public art since amalgamation (in 1996)," said Ms. Uteck, the vice-chairwoman of city hall’s cultural advisory committee.

She was referring to North Is Freedom, by sculpture artists Doug Bamford and Stephen Brathwaite, which was formally dedicated in June 2007 at the Halifax North Library. Public art deters vandalism, fosters civic pride and employs artists, council heard.

"We recognize public art as a means of informing and transforming the public realm," Ms. Uteck said.

( apugsley@herald.ca)

Maybe they'll paint spiderman on them like the one near my house...

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 24, 2008, 7:31 PM
(a) Like it is the fault of Canada Post (b)...

Where does council come from? Yeah, Uteck you're going to stop the federal mail service installing new boxes. "Wage a public war", what is that even supposed to mean? OMFG who is in control of this city of almost half a million.

The Aliant initiative makes sense for various power boxes, however the mailboxes are a different story IMO, as their lifetime is obviously much shorter and they are somewhat mobile. I also would prefer if they were just stock, recoginizable mail drops. Even with grafitti (tags), they aren't the biggest eyesore in the city. (see empty parking lots due to council decisions)

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this leadership. At least Sheila sees how rediculous this kind of statement is and knows of what the federal plan is. I really hope she gets elected mayor and reforms this system.

Takeo
Sep 25, 2008, 1:19 AM
Those Aliant boxes are all hideous. I'd rather see tags than that tacky "art".

Keith P.
Sep 25, 2008, 1:51 AM
Those Aliant boxes are all hideous. I'd rather see tags than that tacky "art".

I don't want to see ghetto vandalism, but I agree the Aliant boxes are an eyesore. They all look like something done in a paint by number set.

Dmajackson
Sep 25, 2008, 3:05 AM
I don't want to see ghetto vandalism, but I agree the Aliant boxes are an eyesore. They all look like something done in a paint by number set.

While I do agree that some of the boxes are eyesores, if they are painted the correct theme in the correct spot they can be very nice. For example there is a beautiful one on Shore Dr. with a nice scene of boats in the harbor. It fits in perfectly with the scenery and defenitely looka better than the grey or green color it used to be.

Mailboxes might be pushing it though. They have many more things to paint around which might cover up more of the painting. Maybe just hiding them slightly, like against a wall or putting a canopy over them, would work better.

Besides mailboxes are mainly in the 'burbs not the city. City citizens get there mailed delivered either to their door or in a private room within the building. I can't think of a single place in Uteck's riding where there is a mailbox.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 25, 2008, 5:37 PM
Naw man, the mailboxes she is refering to are all over. Most people on the peninsula don't live in buildings, but houses. Utek is referring to the corner drop mailboxes (sometimes grey stand alone, sometimes red ones attached to telephone poles) that tend to have graf all over them. These are not the same as the rural pick-up boxes that represent a community/suburb or individual mailboxes out in front of somebody's house.

spryscraper
Sep 25, 2008, 5:55 PM
I actually like what Aliant has done with their fuseboxes; it takes normally bland looking but necessary metal boxes and turning them into what could almost be called public art... it's like one step below the murals that have been posted over those brutal blank concrete retaining walls around the city.
Having said that, though, I don't know if this would work as well with mailboxes, what with all the slots and moving parts

hfx_chris
Sep 25, 2008, 9:22 PM
Utek is referring to the corner drop mailboxes (sometimes grey stand alone, sometimes red ones attached to telephone poles) that tend to have graf all over them. These are not the same as the rural pick-up boxes that represent a community/suburb or individual mailboxes out in front of somebody's house.
The rural/community boxes just get pushed over all the time :)

As for painting the mail/drop boxes? Not likely. Unlike the Aliant boxes, which were just plain and one colour, the Canada Post boxes not only advertise Canada Post (and have to be easily recognizable as a mailbox from a distance), but also advertise things like pickup times for that box. No way they would let somebody paint over them.

Takeo
Sep 26, 2008, 2:07 AM
I actually like what Aliant has done with their fuseboxes; it takes normally bland looking but necessary metal boxes and turning them into what could almost be called public art

As an artist and designer, I have to disagree. 100% tack. IMHO. Good idea. Poor execution.

Dmajackson
Sep 26, 2008, 2:27 AM
Naw man, the mailboxes she is refering to are all over. Most people on the peninsula don't live in buildings, but houses. Utek is referring to the corner drop mailboxes (sometimes grey stand alone, sometimes red ones attached to telephone poles) that tend to have graf all over them. These are not the same as the rural pick-up boxes that represent a community/suburb or individual mailboxes out in front of somebody's house.

Ahhh...okay now i know what she's talking about. THere are many of those in the South-End. I guess I'm just a 'burb guy, not a city-slicker. I don't know what could be done with those ones...

dartmouthian
Oct 28, 2008, 1:53 AM
The idea of painting the boxes may sound good in theory, but the reality is that most of them end up looking tacky as hell and worse than the graffiti. It just doesn't make sense to cover up crap with worse crap.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 28, 2008, 11:30 PM
The idea of painting the boxes may sound good in theory, but the reality is that most of them end up looking tacky as hell and worse than the graffiti. It just doesn't make sense to cover up crap with worse crap.

Exactly... it actually seems kind of lame beyond the tacky element. Halifax is certainly having some indentity issues as it grows.