PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

Barrington south
Jul 18, 2009, 9:35 PM
I'm hopin' it's the former Trade mart building.....it's leased by someone else now....forget who....but that site has BIG potential

BravoZulu
Jul 18, 2009, 10:12 PM
So I learned of a huge new development that was just submitted to the city last week but unfortunatly I was sworn to secrecy. I didn't get to see it so I don't know what to think. But boy is it big. They said it should go public within the next week or two.

Just how big are we talking here Jono? and is this a downtown project?

That is if you can answer those questions without breaking your word.

Jonovision
Jul 18, 2009, 10:15 PM
Sorry, you guys are just gonna have to wait. But if I say more I will end up just saying everything.

BravoZulu
Jul 18, 2009, 10:22 PM
Fair enough, I have a lot of respect for someone who can keep a secret, especially a secret I know must be killing you not to be able to share.

You definitely have my attention, I can't wait to hear this one!

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 19, 2009, 12:04 AM
Lol, im pumped.

spaustin
Jul 19, 2009, 1:12 AM
Well in the meantime we can go off into mad speculation:

If it's not something office related in the CBD (maybe Triangle Lands going ahead) I'll guess the rest of the Hollis and Morris block. The Vic is slated for the corner, but everything else except the one office building on Terminal Road is owned by a single landowner, Emera. It's probably one of if not the biggest pieces of undeveloped Downtown land left.

Other possible contenders that I'll venture, one of the remaining two waterfront lots (Waterfront Warehouse or parking lot between Bishops and Electropolis) or the Sam the Record Man on Barrington given that there are now submitted plans for Discovery Centre and the Roy and Sam's was sold last year to a developer.

DigitalNinja
Jul 19, 2009, 1:13 AM
Hint!!!!

Jonovision
Jul 19, 2009, 2:26 PM
I really know anything about the Sams development but I have a feeling that was one of the ones Andy was refering to when I was speaking with him.

BravoZulu
Jul 19, 2009, 7:10 PM
I really know anything about the Sams development but I have a feeling that was one of the ones Andy was refering to when I was speaking with him.

There have been crews in there doing a lot of work lately, mostly demo I think. Could be a good spot, but i'm picturing something bigger.

I'm with spaustin, I'd love to see the rest of the hollis, morris, lower water lot developed, but if we're speculating I'm going to say the lot beside the Bank of Canada building lower water, hollis, and Sackville streets.

Any other guesses?

Aya_Akai
Jul 19, 2009, 10:33 PM
new metro centre?..... or perhaps... shall I say the s word?....stadium?! :shrug:

Barrington south
Jul 19, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'm with spaustin, I'd love to see the rest of the hollis, morris, lower water lot developed,

believe me, nobody wants those lands developed more that me...I'm Mr...."develop the south end to the max, cus it's great for HH business".....but I have heard Emera sate previously that they "are not in the development business"
and I have not read anywhere about the sale of the lands to a developer....
I would love it if that was what Jono was refering to though....don't get me wrong !!
....plus, after having those lands sit empty for decades, now would be a retarded time to develop them....right after HRMbydesign just placed brand new height restrictions on them......

sdm
Jul 20, 2009, 12:41 AM

its been leased from what i've heard. But can't disclouse the tenant.

sdm
Jul 20, 2009, 12:46 AM
So I learned of a huge new development that was just submitted to the city last week but unfortunatly I was sworn to secrecy. I didn't get to see it so I don't know what to think. But boy is it big. They said it should go public within the next week or two.

define huge, we talking 100,000 square feet plus or are we talking ?

Dmajackson
Jul 20, 2009, 4:10 AM
damn now I'm intrigued.

My guesses would be IP (even though Andy shouldn't be involved with that one anymore), Waterfront Warehouse, Salter going ahead, or the parking lot near Bishops Landing.

terrynorthend
Jul 20, 2009, 11:58 AM
damn now I'm intrigued.

My guesses would be IP (even though Andy shouldn't be involved with that one anymore), Waterfront Warehouse, Salter going ahead, or the parking lot near Bishops Landing.

Hmm, they way Jono puts it, "...a huge new development just submitted to the city..", doesn't sound so much like a go-ahead of any of these projects already on the table, rather a new proposal altogether.

I hope this isn't one of those things that drags on and we never hear about. How about we give Jono 2 weeks of radio silence, then he has to spill ;)

sdm
Jul 20, 2009, 12:47 PM
Hmm, they way Jono puts it, "...a huge new development just submitted to the city..", doesn't sound so much like a go-ahead of any of these projects already on the table, rather a new proposal altogether.

I hope this isn't one of those things that drags on and we never hear about. How about we give Jono 2 weeks of radio silence, then he has to spill ;)

probably won't be hard to figure out, depending on the size.

There is Rank Inc proposal for the chruch lands on SGR

Rumour around possible development of the property next to staples downtown.

Emera Lands on Hollis

Royal Bank building redevelopment of that block (most likely the one i think).

CBC/ YMCA redevelopment.

The list is endless, mind you thats just the downtown stuff.

DigitalNinja
Jul 20, 2009, 1:44 PM
Theres a plan to re do the RBC building?

sdm
Jul 20, 2009, 1:45 PM
Theres a plan to re do the RBC building?

The whole block actually

beyeas
Jul 20, 2009, 2:03 PM
The whole block actually

I remember hearing something about this way back in the Development Rumours thread... can you refresh my memory as to what the plan is for the RBC block?

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 20, 2009, 8:08 PM
A boutique hotel (with what appears to be fake stone, etc)... I personally like that area of SGR and wish other developments would move ahead beforehand. (like the City Centre Atlantic addition or the St. Mary's Basicila lot)

someone123
Jul 20, 2009, 8:18 PM
The boutique hotel for SGR was for the building on the corner of Queen Street which currently houses the Bank of Montreal and a few other tenants. I remember hearing that it was to go ahead sometime after Gladstone Ridge (tentatively they said 2008 or something, which seemed far off in the future at the time..), but I guess it is delayed.

The other proposal people are talking about is for the RBC building on Hollis Street. There were only vague details before of wanting to expand the amount of office space and possibly add a hotel. It could be a positive change, since most of that building is currently a blank wall.

I'd be really happy with a proposal for something to go up next to the Bank of Canada. Imagine that with United Gulf and the new convention centre..

Jonovision
Jul 21, 2009, 3:47 AM
Well I can tell you its not a stadium and its not Emera's lands. It's something fresh. As I've said I have no opinion on it, as I have not seen any drawings. I can say I was quite shocked when I heard about it.

Aya_Akai
Jul 21, 2009, 5:12 PM
Well I can tell you its not a stadium and its not Emera's lands. It's something fresh. As I've said I have no opinion on it, as I have not seen any drawings. I can say I was quite shocked when I heard about it.

Now, when you mentioned it's big... are you talking... big, area-wise, or big as in tall? :haha: (trying to get as much non-specific info out of you that I can :D :D lol)

someone123
Jul 21, 2009, 5:26 PM
I just hope that, if it is a decent project, it is one that will be built relatively soon rather than another hypothetical building.

There's a pretty big gap right now between what's planned and what is actively under development.

beyeas
Jul 21, 2009, 6:21 PM
I just hope that, if it is a decent project, it is one that will be built relatively soon rather than another hypothetical building.

There's a pretty big gap right now between what's planned and what is actively under development.

I know what you mean. I actually feel pretty frustrated with the pace of things, and have pretty much stopped getting excited over new development plans because I just have so little faith that they will actually get built. In the 6 years that I have lived in Halifax there has been a grand total of 1 large scale building built in the downtown core (Trillium). I want to get excited about all the proposed plans, but I just can't any more... pessimism has taken over. International Place (the website is down now), UG Towers (the web site is down now), the convention centre (the new government is silent on it)... all of those would dramatically change the downtown landscape for the better and yet I would be SHOCKED at this point to see any of them go ahead.

Dmajackson
Jul 21, 2009, 9:11 PM
I have a bit of optimism left for this town but the larger the project the less likely I think it will go ahead. Things like UG and IP are really nice projects but they're hard to build in downtown at the current time.

I just hope that whatever this turns out to be it will be realistic for Downtown.

Jonovision
Jul 22, 2009, 3:40 AM
It could become on of the far flung projects. But one nevers knows how it will turn out until we see the actual proposal. I don't know the logistics of the development process for it yet either.

someone123
Jul 22, 2009, 4:13 AM
The track record for the larger projects is not so good, but then again I definitely think the city has changed for the better in the past few years.

The Trillium is going up but remember that there was also the Martello, Paramount, twin towers on the other end of the gardens, twin towers on Gladstone Street, etc. Bishop's Landing was also large and the NSP building is significant.

I'd be pretty happy to see just 2-3 of the major projects constructed. Possibly there's a good chance that the Centennial/Salter Street development would start soon along with one of the office projects.

Jonovision
Jul 22, 2009, 12:42 PM
Not too mention Founders Corner in Dartmouth as well as the Greenvale project and Kings Wharf finally getting underway.
I have a good feeling about the convention center too.

sdm
Jul 22, 2009, 12:45 PM

I'd be pretty happy to see just 2-3 of the major projects constructed. Possibly there's a good chance that the Centennial/Salter Street development would start soon along with one of the office projects.

I see subway has moved from Hollis street location, therefore it appears o'carroll's is the only tenant remaining at the Waterside development.

Barrington south
Jul 22, 2009, 12:46 PM
Gerald Hall.....Above the fake stone..(should-ice 20 foot)...will be "Metal siding"...according to a laborer on site....I pressed for more info....that's all he new

Dmajackson
Jul 22, 2009, 3:53 PM
I see subway has moved from Hollis street location, therefore it appears o'carroll's is the only tenant remaining at the Waterside development.

According to my inside sources with O'Carrolls they will be closing on or near New Years.

They've already opened up a new restaurant in the Waterfront Historic Properties. The staff there for the most part are Summer employees only so come the Fall the more experienced staff will move over to the new location.

Empire
Jul 22, 2009, 5:02 PM
It could become on of the far flung projects. But one nevers knows how it will turn out until we see the actual proposal. I don't know the logistics of the development process for it yet either.

How many existing projects/proposals will be cancelled because of this one?

DigitalNinja
Jul 22, 2009, 8:08 PM
I hope that this development is so big that is cancels a couple of em :P That would be good, as long as it goes up

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 22, 2009, 8:14 PM
I hope that this development is so big that is cancels a couple of em :P That would be good, as long as it goes up

I'd have to see something before I say anything like that...

I want to see International Place go up, then we'll have a real CBD.

Empire
Jul 22, 2009, 11:45 PM
I'd have to see something before I say anything like that...

I want to see International Place go up, then we'll have a real CBD.

Also Tex-Park & Trade Centre the rest are mainly garbage.

Jonovision
Jul 23, 2009, 3:17 AM
I don't really know how to answer that one. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't affect IP.
For the most part I think the way they affect each other really depends on how they are marketed. If they are marketed in a way that can fill their own niche market than hopefully they all can go up! :)

Takeo
Jul 23, 2009, 10:47 AM
I don't really know how to answer that one. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't affect IP. ?
For the most part I think the way they affect each other really depends on how they are marketed. If they are marketed in a way that can fill their own niche market than hopefully they all can go up! :)

I don't like this game. When might this proposal be public?

beyeas
Jul 23, 2009, 2:19 PM
Also Tex-Park & Trade Centre the rest are mainly garbage.

Agreed.

The UG Towers would redefine the skyline and be really the only example of high rise modern architecture in Halifax.

The IP Tower would redefine the CBD and give a feeling of progress in terms of the business environment.

The Nova Centre would redefine the central part of downtown, and will go a long way to filling in what is basically a massive hole in the downtown core.

If these 3 went up that would go a long way towards making me feel good again about the city and its progress. I know there are many other smaller scale projects that have gone up in southern Barrington St, in the suburbs etc etc, but they are not projects that redefine Halifax. The 3 projects above have the potential to completely change both the skyline and the overall experience of downtown Halifax.

Jonovision
Jul 23, 2009, 4:00 PM
I don't like this game. When might this proposal be public?

lol Sorry. I'm not exactly sure. All I was told was within a week or two. And that was a week ago. So hopefully we will see what it is next week. I'm just as eager as you guys to see it.

sdm
Jul 23, 2009, 4:02 PM
It could be possible that CBC/YMCA have submitted a proposal

Barrington south
Jul 24, 2009, 12:29 AM
it seems Fenwick has already started it's upgrades....if you consider a bright green, 11 story banner with the word rentals on it with a vertical phone number running down it's north face......Classy

terrynorthend
Jul 24, 2009, 1:48 AM
it seems Fenwick has already started it's upgrades....if you consider a bright green, 11 story banner with the word rentals on it with a vertical phone number running down it's north face......Classy

HAHAA.. I noticed that today.. i have a great view of it from my window.. and i am miles away :banana:

Jonovision
Jul 24, 2009, 2:21 AM
I saw that from the Dartmouth Sportsplex today. lol The views from that building are amazing!

Doggard
Jul 24, 2009, 3:11 PM
I work right across the street from the Sportsplex on the eleventh floor of Metropolitan Place, the views from there are pretty sweet too. I suppose generally anywhere on the Dartmouth waterfront is a great place to view Halifax. I also recommend the NSCC Waterfront Campus. To anyone that hasn't been there yet, it's easily accessible to the public, and the views are amazing! Bring your camera!

phrenic
Jul 24, 2009, 3:29 PM

Maybe they're just going to wrap the whole building in green plastic.

Jonovision
Jul 24, 2009, 5:07 PM
I work right across the street from the Sportsplex on the eleventh floor of Metropolitan Place, the views from there are pretty sweet too. I suppose generally anywhere on the Dartmouth waterfront is a great place to view Halifax. I also recommend the NSCC Waterfront Campus. To anyone that hasn't been there yet, it's easily accessible to the public, and the views are amazing! Bring your camera!

I work at the plex. lol
And I was down in front of the NSCC to watch the Parade of Sail. It was such an amazing view.

Aya_Akai
Jul 27, 2009, 4:44 PM
Well, Jono... it's been a couple weeks ;) When are we gonna hear something? :yes:

terrynorthend
Jul 27, 2009, 5:41 PM
Well, Jono... it's been a couple weeks ;) When are we gonna hear something? :yes:

Yep.. its time to call in the heavys.. a little arm-twistin' :whip: LOL

Jonovision
Jul 28, 2009, 12:04 PM
LOL All I was told was that it would that the plans would be made public.

I was driving Gottingen yesterday and they have scaffolding erected on the building that has sat as a plywood shell for the past few years. Hopefully something will happen with this.

I also noticed some digging going on up on Spring Garden right next to Smitty's. Couldn't get a close look so no idea what they are doing.

beyeas
Jul 28, 2009, 1:23 PM
LOL All I was told was that it would that the plans would be made public.

Ok so here's a potentially wild stab in the dark...

is the project to expand the Metro Centre as part of a potential deal to bring the Coyotes here for 5 games??? Just curious given that the time line for the Ice Edg group to submit a formal bid is within a week or so. It occured to me given that the other potential site is currently expanding their rink from a similar size to the Metro Centre to something like 14,000 seats.

Just a crazy thought! :-)

Empire
Jul 28, 2009, 2:33 PM
Ok so here's a potentially wild stab in the dark...

is the project to expand the Metro Centre as part of a potential deal to bring the Coyotes here for 5 games??? Just curious given that the time line for the Ice Edg group to submit a formal bid is within a week or so. It occured to me given that the other potential site is currently expanding their rink from a similar size to the Metro Centre to something like 14,000 seats.

Just a crazy thought! :-)

Maybe the NDP Gov. is going to build a stadium? "The Dexter Dome"

q12
Jul 28, 2009, 2:45 PM
Maybe the NDP Gov. is going to build a stadium? "The Dexter Dome"

Even better maybe they have decided to build a new arena and convention centre together to replace the MC and WTCC.

Jonovision
Jul 29, 2009, 2:52 AM
Nope. I don't think its that wild and crazy. lol

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 29, 2009, 6:17 AM
Something to do with the Salter Street development? or The Alexander maybe?

Takeo
Jul 29, 2009, 11:44 AM
Maybe it will be a 6 flags amusement park on the Cogswell lands! Oh please let it be a 6 flags.

sdm
Jul 29, 2009, 2:22 PM
Something to do with the Salter Street development? or The Alexander maybe?

Its a new submission, therefore wouldn't be either of those.

hoser111
Jul 29, 2009, 2:50 PM
40 story, in the likeness of a lighthouse, built on top of Citadel Hill, inside the ramparts so as not to obstruct viewplanes?

Doggard
Jul 29, 2009, 3:42 PM
third bridge, maybe? or tunnel?

Dmajackson
Jul 29, 2009, 3:46 PM
I think we've pretty much guessed everything possible :P

I put my money on a redevelopment of a lot somewheres on the Peninsula like the Waterfront Warehouse, Bishops Landing parking lot, Shed/Pier 22, Robie at Pepperrell, etc.

Quick question though. Is the lot Downtown or elsewhere? :shrug:

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 29, 2009, 3:52 PM
40 story, in the likeness of a lighthouse, built on top of Citadel Hill, inside the ramparts so as not to obstruct viewplanes?

LOL

terrynorthend
Jul 29, 2009, 8:27 PM
I think we've pretty much guessed everything possible :P

I put my money on a redevelopment of a lot somewheres on the Peninsula like the Waterfront Warehouse, Bishops Landing parking lot, Shed/Pier 22, Robie at Pepperrell, etc.

Quick question though. Is the lot Downtown or elsewhere? :shrug:

My money is on the Waterfront Warehouse land.

wackypacky
Jul 29, 2009, 9:15 PM
ok this is definately dumb but how do i insert an image lol.

Dmajackson
Jul 29, 2009, 9:19 PM
ok this is definately dumb but how do i insert an image lol.

You have to have the URL for image (for example Flickr has it on the bottom of the large version of photos). If you have that you click the Insert Image icon on the top of the text box and paste the image in (or just wrap around the URL).

sdm
Jul 29, 2009, 11:31 PM
My money is on the Waterfront Warehouse land.

Mines on CBC/ YMCA

Aya_Akai
Jul 30, 2009, 1:00 AM

This. :cool:

Takeo
Jul 30, 2009, 1:55 AM
Mines on CBC/ YMCA

What kind of mine? That would be cool. I love those GIANT dump trucks :) I'd rather see a 6 flags amusement park tho' :haha:

sdm
Jul 30, 2009, 9:42 AM
What kind of mine? That would be cool. I love those GIANT dump trucks :) I'd rather see a 6 flags amusement park tho' :haha:

good one, should take more time for my posts.

Takeo
Jul 30, 2009, 3:46 PM
good one, should take more time for my posts.

Haha. No worries. I didn't mean to be a grammar Nazi. I actually did read it that way at first though... and I thought you were joining in the fun with a satirical prediction of your own.

I'm not going to make an predictions. But I'm anxious to hear what it is.

Dmajackson
Aug 2, 2009, 4:59 AM
Some of the following article is about the new office building next to Gallery 1 on Highfield Drive. Its a nice looking building. :)

====================================================================================================================

Training centre could lead to big military contracts

ROGER TAYLOR
Sat. Aug 1 - 4:46 AM

SMALL BUSINESSES in Nova Scotia may have a better chance at landing a lucrative military contract now that Lockheed Martin Canada has opened the Maritime Training and Testing Site in Dartmouth.

The so-called MATTS centre opened Friday will be focused on fulfilling two long-term contracts related to the updating of Canada’s 12 Halifax-class frigates.

The Lockheed Martin-led consortium — Saab Systems, xwave, IBM Canada, L-3 Electronic Systems and CAE Professional Services — will design, build and integrate combat systems under one contract and, under a separate contract, provide in-service support for the modernized frigates.

The combat systems contract, for instance, is valued at about $1.4 billion. That will pay for the upgrading of the command and control systems, redesigning the operations room, and reconfiguring the masts on all 12 frigates to accommodate new radar suites.

The in-service support contract, valued at $600 million, will look after the combat systems.

Work on seven of the frigates will be carried out at the Irving-owned Halifax Shipyard, which was awarded a separate contract worth $549 million. The 18-month-long refit of the first frigate, HMCS Halifax, will begin soon.

The remaining five frigates will be refittted at the Victoria Shipyard in British Columbia.

Although not all the work will be carried out in Nova Scotia, the provincial economy should enjoy a significant infusion of money over the next few years.

Thomas Digan, president of Lockheed Martin Canada, says his company doesn’t have a monopoly on good ideas and wants to work with Maritime entrepreneurs and small businesses to develop products for the Canadian military.

The new Lockheed Martin facility, located next to the Gallery One furniture store in north-end Dartmouth, will include a technology collaboration centre, he says, which has been described as an incubator for small businesses that want to gain access to military contracts.

Digan says his company will be working in association with the navy to advertise the opportunities the collaboration centre will provide to industry, academia and the community at large.

One possibility may be that a company already has a commercial application but doesn’t know how to tie it into a military system, he says.

"We provide the facilitation to help them bring our ultimate

customer, the Canadian government, the Canadian navy, a better product."

By working with smaller companies, Lockheed Martin hopes to maintain its position as a leading contractor with the Canadian military, he says.

"Obviously, that’s good for us; we’d like to be the Canadian integrator of choice (and) we don’t do that by saying we’re the only ones who can do this. We’d like to be able to reap the good ideas from other places and bring them to our ultimate customer because, in the end, if you’re keeping your customer happy, you stay in business."

The collaboration centre won’t be in operation until about this time next year, he says, but Lockheed Martin wants to start promoting the spinoff opportunities.

Digan says the Maritime Training and Testing Site could have been built anywhere in the country, but Nova Scotia Business Inc. provided an incentive through the payroll tax rebate program.

There was also ready access to an educated workforce and a critical mass of expertise already located in the Halifax area, he says. About 150 people will be working out of the Dartmouth site; most will be software designers and writers.

Digan says his company was on a tight deadline tied to the modernization of the frigates, and actually had to start working with building developer Rank Inc. about six months before winning the contract to upgrade the frigate fleet.

Construction began on the $10-million structure only eight months ago, with stringent requirements to be as environmentally friendly and energy efficient as possible.

Digan says Rank was given July as a target date for the building to be completed.

"We’re moving in on Aug. 7. Pretty close."

( rtaylor@herald.ca)

DigitalNinja
Aug 2, 2009, 1:58 PM
Awesome. Good to hear. I never even noticed this building... is it big?

Wishblade
Aug 2, 2009, 5:23 PM
Awesome. Good to hear. I never even noticed this building... is it big?

Its 4 stories. probably just a little smaller than park place V. Also, it is lit up with blue LED's on the outside at night :yes:

jasonashhh
Aug 2, 2009, 10:56 PM
i live right across from the building it was being built so quick it, i didnt no they could build on concrete that just got poured a day or to ago the LED lights change colors.

Spitfire75
Aug 3, 2009, 12:40 PM
I saw the blue LEDs too. Looks cool. I suppose I'll get to the see other colors too now that I live in Dartmouth.

Dmajackson
Aug 5, 2009, 3:40 AM
Sloane pushes for longer Public Gardens season

By JEFFREY SIMPSON Staff Reporter
Tue. Aug 4 - 4:31 PM

The gates of the Halifax Public Gardens would remain unlocked for more of the year if one councillor has her way.

Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown) on Tuesday pitched the idea of extending the months the popular Victorian gardens are open.

Ms. Sloane said she’d like to see more flexible opening and closing dates for the gardens so if there’s reasonable weather in early spring or late fall people can still enjoy the downtown spot.

“All of a sudden it’s springtime and you see the crocuses and the tulips coming up and you’re like, ‘Why can’t I go in?’” Ms. Sloane said in an interview after a council meeting.

City staff has told her that the gardens need to be closed so workers can do maintenance, Ms. Sloane said. But she doesn’t believe that’s a good enough excuse to keep the gates closed.

“Protecting the paths is one thing, but we’re being overprotective to the point we’re not letting our citizens in to use something that is a gem and a retreat for us urbanites.”

The gardens are now open from about May to November.

People from throughout the municipality have contacted Ms. Sloane with their support for the idea, she said.

“This is not just from downtown,” she said. “It’s from everybody.”

Extending the months of public access to the park wouldn’t cost the city much, she said. There might be a need for a commissionaire and a staffer.

“When you live in an urban setting you use your green spaces a lot more than someone who lives in a suburban or rural area,” Ms. Sloane said.

“So we have to start accommodating for that, especially since we’re going to be a denser population.

“You don’t see a lot of parks in New York closing down for up to six months. They have ways and means to make sure that it’s regulated.”

( jsimpson@herald.ca )

==================================================================================================================================

Memorial Tower in Halifax designated National Historic Site

By THE CANADIAN PRESS
Tue. Aug 4 - 11:14 AM

Memorial Tower, a familiar Halifax landmark and symbol of the birth of parliamentary democracy in Canada, has been designated a National Historic Site, says Parks Canada.
The four-sided tower was built between 1908 and 1912 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Nova Scotia house of assembly, considered the first elected colonial legislative body in the British Empire. It was also intended to celebrate Canada's relationship with the Empire.

``It has been a special landmark on the Northwest Arm for 100 years but the meaning of the tower has been largely forgotten,'' said Halifax councillor Linda Mosher.

The tower sits on high ground at the former summer retreat of the noted engineer Sir Sandford Fleming.

It combines features of late 19th-century High Victorian design with Edwardian classical elements, and was also inspired ``for philosophical reasons'' by the Tower of St. Mark's in Venice, said a news release.

``Memorial Tower was meant to celebrate an anticipated imperial future in which Britain would lead her colonies in a unified political and economic coalition, the most powerful in the world,'' said Parks Canada.

Two bronze lions at the foot of the tower were designed by British sculptor Albert Brucejoy who was influenced by the lion sculptures at London's Trafalgar Square.

Keith P.
Aug 5, 2009, 10:16 AM
Sloane pushes for longer Public Gardens season

I hate to admit this, but I think she is right on this one. I understand the need for workers to get the place ready after a winter, but mid-May seems a bit late.

[I]Memorial Tower in Halifax designated National Historic Site

By THE CANADIAN PRESS
Tue. Aug 4 - 11:14 AM

Memorial Tower, a familiar Halifax landmark and symbol of the birth of parliamentary democracy in Canada, has been designated a National Historic Site, says Parks Canada.
The four-sided tower was built between 1908 and 1912 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Nova Scotia house of assembly, considered the first elected colonial legislative body in the British Empire. It was also intended to celebrate Canada's relationship with the Empire.

``It has been a special landmark on the Northwest Arm for 100 years but the meaning of the tower has been largely forgotten,'' said Halifax councillor Linda Mosher.

The tower sits on high ground at the former summer retreat of the noted engineer Sir Sandford Fleming.

It combines features of late 19th-century High Victorian design with Edwardian classical elements, and was also inspired ``for philosophical reasons'' by the Tower of St. Mark's in Venice, said a news release.

``Memorial Tower was meant to celebrate an anticipated imperial future in which Britain would lead her colonies in a unified political and economic coalition, the most powerful in the world,'' said Parks Canada.

Two bronze lions at the foot of the tower were designed by British sculptor Albert Brucejoy who was influenced by the lion sculptures at London's Trafalgar Square.

Is this better known as The Dingle? If not, I have no idea what they are talking about.

phrenic
Aug 5, 2009, 11:05 AM
Is this better known as The Dingle?

Yes. I can't say I've heard of it referred to as the Memorial Tower in quite a while.

Empire
Aug 5, 2009, 11:13 AM
I hate to admit this, but I think she is right on this one. I understand the need for workers to get the place ready after a winter, but mid-May seems a bit late.

This idea has been around for the last few years. I think the Gardens should be open all year. The maintenance excuse is just that "an excuse to go on the cheap". The landscaping in the gardens is average and most of the flora & fauna is native. If something gets stomped on in march replace it. The highest and best use for this park is to allow public access. The bandstand would be an ideal setting at Christmas carols etc. It is not a botanical garden or museum so let's not pretend it is by locking the gate.

Barrington south
Aug 5, 2009, 3:40 PM

Yes, it causes me pain....but I also agree with sloan.....this once.....esspecially the spring mid-may opening date

Barrington south
Aug 5, 2009, 3:45 PM
This idea has been around for the last few years. I think the Gardens should be open all year. The maintenance excuse is just that "an excuse to go on the cheap". The landscaping in the gardens is average and most of the flora & fauna is native. If something gets stomped on in march replace it. The highest and best use for this park is to allow public access. The bandstand would be an ideal setting at Christmas carols etc. It is not a botanical garden or museum so let's not pretend it is by locking the gate.

go points Empire....
and let me tell you, in my mid-teens I did a couple of summers landscaping, and it is common knowledge in the industry,
that anyone who landscapes for the government, works for over 3 times the pay of reg landscapers........and does one tenth the work.....I have observed these bloke's, before...in the public gardens, that is....and from what i have seen they represent the hight of laziness

Empire
Aug 5, 2009, 4:39 PM
go points Empire....
and let me tell you, in my mid-teens I did a couple of summers landscaping, and it is common knowledge in the industry,
that anyone who landscapes for the government, works for over 3 times the pay of reg landscapers........and does one tenth the work.....I have observed these bloke's, before...in the public gardens, that is....and from what i have seen they represent the hight of laziness

Exactly...and if you analyze the work it is very sloppy. Bark mulch scattered at random, bad edging, bare spots in the patchy weedy grass, young trees with dead branches, broken wooden rails and filthy benches not to mention the duck sewage lagoon.

We wouldn't any harm to come to this in December.

someone123
Aug 5, 2009, 5:19 PM
They could always close down the Public Gardens for a few weeks and then reopen around Christmas etc.

A lot of the excuse is snow removal or wear and tear on the paths in wet winter months but often there are long periods between November and May that are fine. They could open it at their discretion and for special events.

And yes, that other tower is the Dingle. It is actually a very impressive monument. I don't think there is anything like it elsewhere in Canada, and sadly it is not in the condition it should be in, nor is it promoted as it should be. It could be a great attraction if they maintained it better and maybe did something like build a pedestrian bridge across the Northwest Arm (or, better yet, a full sized bridge of the kind that should have existed there for years).

spaustin
Aug 5, 2009, 11:14 PM
Exactly...and if you analyze the work it is very sloppy. Bark mulch scattered at random, bad edging, bare spots in the patchy weedy grass, young trees with dead branches, broken wooden rails and filthy benches not to mention the duck sewage lagoon.

We wouldn't any harm to come to this in December.

I appreciate your earlier sentiment, it should be opened all year, but I think your latest post is more than a tad harsh. It has a few rougher spots, but other places have been very well done. The fixed up cafe and fountain area with nice public washrooms is a huge improvement. The pond is much improved now that they've driven off the hordes of ducks and installed a new water filtration system. It actually looks like a pond and I noticed some the aquatic grasses are starting to grow in it. The area where it drains down has been nicely done and there are even fish living in it. All and all, I don't see what there is to be so down about. I think the Gardens has improved significantly over the years.

Dmajackson
Aug 6, 2009, 12:19 AM
I've been volunteering lately for the city and while I'm not going to say they are the hardest workers I know I'll give them this much. Out here in Bfd they seem to be efficient and from personal experience they are under control of a great guy who will do anything to get projects done. The main problem is there is not enough of them to get stuff done.

Dmajackson
Aug 6, 2009, 1:00 AM
And well since we're on the topic of the Public Gardens;

Popular Goose at Public Gardens will be Missed

(Tuesday, August 4,2009) Halifax Public Gardens staff and visitors are saddened by the loss of a popular goose, fondly named Mother or Momma Goose, who passed away on Monday, August 3rd. Mother Goose was dropped off at the Public Gardens over 20 years ago and has been a fixture there ever since.

Mother Goose has been confused upon occassion with Gracie the Public Gardens Duck which is a fictional character in a book by Judith Neyrick by the same name. Mother Goose was certainly very real and brought a great deal of pleasure to all who came in contact with her as she was both friendly and gentle.

Although she will no longer be roaming the grounds of the Public Gardens, staff and visitors will carry fond memories of this long time resident.

Empire
Aug 6, 2009, 1:09 AM
I appreciate your earlier sentiment, it should be opened all year, but I think your latest post is more than a tad harsh. It has a few rougher spots, but other places have been very well done. The fixed up cafe and fountain area with nice public washrooms is a huge improvement. The pond is much improved now that they've driven off the hordes of ducks and installed a new water filtration system. It actually looks like a pond and I noticed some the aquatic grasses are starting to grow in it. The area where it drains down has been nicely done and there are even fish living in it. All and all, I don't see what there is to be so down about. I think the Gardens has improved significantly over the years.

My point is that the Gardens are revered as if it was the Sistine Chapel. Yes the Gardens are beautiful but to say the Gardens will be destroyed unless locked up 7 months a year is a stretch and many holes can be poked in the impeccable grooming theory.

Dmajackson
Aug 7, 2009, 4:13 AM
New off-leash park to give service dogs a place to run
Halifax News Net
By Jon Tattrie – The Weekly News

Guide-dog users in Halifax are celebrating what might be Canada’s first service-dog-only off-leash park with the opening of a new run downtown.
“HRM has responded to a request for a designated exercise area for service dogs that is safe for the dogs and accessible to their handlers,” said Blair Blakney of HRM. “Preliminary research leads us to believe that this may be one of the first dog runs in North America designed and designated specifically for use by service dogs.”
The small park, on the corner of Rainnie Drive and Cogswell Street adjacent to Centennial Pool, is scheduled to open this week.
Shelley Adams, who works on Almon Street at the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, commutes from Dartmouth daily with her guide dog Buena. They’re both excited. Buena rarely gets to run off her leash, and the location, near a bus stop, will make the park a convenient spot for a lunchtime break.
“When she gets to a fun area, or someone’s yard where she can run around, she just does her Lab loops, goes nuts, and then she’s done. She doesn’t need a lot of time to play before she gets tired,” Adams said of her five-year-old black Lab. “She loves working and she loves her time off.”
“I think it’s great that it’s only for service dogs,” Adams added. “Chances are, you’re not going to have a lot of dogs there at once, but if there was another dog there, that’s nice, too, because dogs like to play with each other and don’t always have the opportunity.”
Helen McFadyen, chairwoman of HRM’s Advisory Committee for Persons with Disabilities, has been working on the park for two years. HRM has a $200,000 fund for improving accessibility and this year, some of it was steered toward fixing up the unused park space.
McFadyen estimates there are 80 service dogs in HRM, including guide dogs for the blind, “hearing” dogs for the deaf (which alert to bells, knocking, and alarms), seizure-alert dogs for people with epilepsy, and “special skills” dogs trained to perform specific tasks for people according to their disability or medical condition.
Like McFadyen and her guide dog Opal, many people with service dogs live in apartments and don’t have yards.
“We wanted the possibility of having our dogs off-leash. It doesn’t need to be a large area, just an area they could be off-leash and run like nuts to blow the stink off,” she said, adding she expects most users will make sure their dogs use the washroom before hitting the run.
“It is important that hard-working service dogs get a chance to exercise and have some off-leash down time, like any other dog. The creation of this small exercise facility will provide a safe place for me to take my guide dog without the worry of losing track of her, like I might in a big park,” McFadyen said.
jon@jontattrie.ca

Jonovision
Aug 8, 2009, 7:38 PM
Most of the work around Lake Banook has been completed with the worlds starting next week. The new public art on is quite nice too. I must say better than light houses. lol Although they put up an electric sign beside it that I'm not a big fan of. Hopefully I'll get out in the next week or two and take some pics of all the improvements.

ZET
Aug 8, 2009, 8:02 PM
Ekistics had provided nice renderings for the area where the 'canoe' has been placed. There could have been a beautiful area for viewing up the lake at that corner. ZET

Jonovision
Aug 10, 2009, 2:57 AM
I believe this one was mentioned a while back but was said to be an already built building. It is in fact going to be a new 5 storey condo on the north end of Barrington Street right across fromt he ship yard. The sales centre has been set up on Gottigen for about a year now.

The Barrington

http://network-realty.ca/components/com_hotproperty/img/std/101_new%20barrington.JPG

http://network-realty.ca/index.php?option=com_hotproperty&task=view&id=101&Itemid=22

Dmajackson
Aug 10, 2009, 6:22 AM
I believe this one was mentioned a while back but was said to be an already built building. It is in fact going to be a new 5 storey condo on the north end of Barrington Street right across fromt he ship yard. The sales centre has been set up on Gottigen for about a year now.

The Barrington

http://network-realty.ca/components/com_hotproperty/img/std/101_new%20barrington.JPG

http://network-realty.ca/index.php?option=com_hotproperty&task=view&id=101&Itemid=22

So this one is for the block next to the Narrows I guess?

If I'm not mistaken the commercial businesses that were located in the existing buildings were abandoned earlier this year which might be a good sign.

Takeo
Aug 10, 2009, 7:01 AM
That has to be one of the ugliest buildings I've seen in a long time. The two-tone raccoon eyes effect... that weird giant bump out with it's tiny windows and vast expanses of blank brick... very out of proportion... the tacky and completely arbitrary / ornamental shape of the roof line... borrowed from what... furniture / woodwork design?... the base which appears to be mostly a blank concrete wall. And what's up with that weird corner detail? Are they supposed to look like spindles? What the.... Wow. Just when you thought Halifax architecture couldn't get any worse. I wonder if this was done by the same people who designed the Theater Lofts with it's goofy proscenium arch.

The Barrington

Jonovision
Aug 10, 2009, 2:41 PM
That has to be one of the ugliest buildings I've seen in a long time. The two-tone raccoon eyes effect... that weird giant bump out with it's tiny windows and vast expanses of blank brick... very out of proportion... the tacky and completely arbitrary / ornamental shape of the roof line... borrowed from what... furniture / woodwork design?... the base which appears to be mostly a blank concrete wall. And what's up with that weird corner detail? Are they supposed to look like spindles? What the.... Wow. Just when you thought Halifax architecture couldn't get any worse. I wonder if this was done by the same people who designed the Theater Lofts with it's goofy proscenium arch.

Theatre Lofts is a Michael Napier project, and aside from the slightly goofy arch is a great project in my eyes. A great little piece of infill for Gottigen that will host retail and many residents with an interesting design flare.

But I will agree The Barrington is a rather boring and very suburban looking building. They could have at the very least put in some retail space at grade.

Takeo
Aug 10, 2009, 7:59 PM
But I will agree The Barrington is a rather boring and very suburban looking building.

I don't even know what that is. It's just bizarre. Were they trying to make it look like a piece of furniture or door moulding or something? And the huge expanses of brick with those tiny windows. And the ugly vertical two tone?! Seriously. What that hell? Breathtakingly ugly.

I agree... the Theater Lofts are a nice project... aside from the goofy arch.

Doggard
Aug 10, 2009, 9:57 PM
They should rename this one The Borington:slob:

beyeas
Aug 11, 2009, 2:27 PM
Ok so... it has been a few weeks now, what is the deal with this top secret big project that was supposed to have been announced? Huh? Huh? :whip:

:-)

Jonovision
Aug 12, 2009, 12:17 PM
That is a very good question. And I have been wondering the same thing myself.

Barrington south
Aug 13, 2009, 2:02 AM
man, I so wish the halterm terminal was developed into something along the lines of Sydney Aus Darling Harbor....

only with cutting edge arcitecture....

Darling Harbour is starting to show it's age, as it was built in the 80's although massive new development's for the area are in the works ....

the concept was great for the time, and the place is super popular, and has a great reputation....
but it could be much better still....and if something along those lines was built here, only more progressive, that would be sweet as, Brah!!

that's what I'm hopin the suprise is!!

planarchy
Aug 18, 2009, 6:12 PM
In addition to the library tender, HRM has also put out a Request for Proposal for the development of a Public Art Operational Plan, with a deadline of Sept. 16th.

alps
Aug 19, 2009, 1:18 AM
There was a bit in the paper today about Westwood (Gladstone Ridge) acquiring the CNIB building on Almon.