PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117

teddifax
Jan 11, 2014, 4:17 PM
Ahhh, I fondly remember the old electric trolleys - NOT!!! They have become romanticized in distant memory but they weren't that great in real life. The overhead wires were an eyesore, especially on major turns. The one at the corner of SGR and Barrington was so bad with the thick black wires you could barely see the sky. The other thing working against them was not just the technology itself but our weather. I don't know how many times the poor driver had to get out and have to get off the bus and go to the rear of it and have to manually re-crank the "connector poles" back up to attach to the power line so the bus could start up again. In winter stormy weather this happened constantly. I know this was over 40 years ago and there is new technology, but the over head wires were bad. I think a hybrid bus would be a better alternative.

fenwick16
Jan 11, 2014, 5:04 PM
Ahhh, I fondly remember the old electric trolleys - NOT!!! They have become romanticized in distant memory but they weren't that great in real life. The overhead wires were an eyesore, especially on major turns. The one at the corner of SGR and Barrington was so bad with the thick black wires you could barely see the sky. The other thing working against them was not just the technology itself but our weather. I don't know how many times the poor driver had to get out and have to get off the bus and go to the rear of it and have to manually re-crank the "connector poles" back up to attach to the power line so the bus could start up again. In winter stormy weather this happened constantly. I know this was over 40 years ago and there is new technology, but the over head wires were bad. I think a hybrid bus would be a better alternative.

I have to agree, hybrid or all-electric battery-powered buses (it is already being done elsewhere) seems like the way to go. Hybrid and all-electric would allow some short stretches to be underground as Right of Ways (similar to subways but with buses). Although far-fetched, I can imagine a route under the harbour just for hybrid or all electric buses (possibly it could be narrow enough for just one lane but with passing lanes in between to allow two way traffic).

Keith P.
Jan 12, 2014, 12:58 AM
Metro Transit already has some hybrid buses bit I don't know if they can run only on battery power.

someone123
Jan 12, 2014, 1:16 AM
The modern trolleybuses here in Vancouver are nice but I understand how they might be a marginal investment. They need overheads and they do pop off occasionally, although that happens infrequently and I think there is a system that allows the poles to automatically re-attach to the line (not sure how well it works). They have limited battery power so they can travel short distances without overhead power.

I think a better addition would be something similar to the Olympic Line, which was Bombardier Flexity streetcars that ran along an old rail line. The cost of upgrading the line was only $8.5M for 1.8 km. The line ran for 2 months with about 10,000 boardings per day and had zero issues. I think some of Toronto's new streetcars are similar. The cost is reasonable and they're much nicer than buses.

counterfactual
Jan 12, 2014, 2:40 AM
I have to agree, hybrid or all-electric battery-powered buses (it is already being done elsewhere) seems like the way to go. Hybrid and all-electric would allow some short stretches to be underground as Right of Ways (similar to subways but with buses). Although far-fetched, I can imagine a route under the harbour just for hybrid or all electric buses (possibly it could be narrow enough for just one lane but with passing lanes in between to allow two way traffic).

Yes, I also think Hybrid buses make the most sense.

I think if Halifax added *three* simple public/mass transit elements to our current system, would make a HUGE difference.

(1) Hybrid buses for some downtown Halifax routes
(2) A dedicated bus route that runs around the Harbour (using hybrid buses perhaps, but not necessarily).
(3) Light commuter rail, along the lines of the one currently being considered (runs along CN rail from Windsor Junction to downtown).

=====

If light rail is not seen as viable, then I strong support the proposals for a "Dedicated Bus Lane" recommended by the HRM Economic Summit Committee in 2004:

2004 HRM Economic Summit Committee Recommendations

[...]

Improving the Commuting Experience

18. Dedicated Bus Lane on CN right of way to Dockyard:

Starting at Windsor Junction proposed RTC stretches along Rocky Lake Rd through Bedford along Bedford Basin and through Rockingham yard.
At south end of Rockingham yard (Fairview) right of way branches past Ceres Container Pier, Seaview Park and Pier 9 to exit south of HMC Halifax Dockyard. Permits an exit from right of way at site of new sewage treatment plant and access to Cogswell ex change.

19. Dedicated Bus Lane on CN right of way to Via Station

In CN rail cut, build a two-lane rubber-tired roadway with rails embedded in one lane
HRM’s 2003 study indicates cost of approx. $51 million
Single direction express bus service during peak periods without train interference
Could permit two-way truck access, co-coordinating rail and traffic compatibility with CN

Study: http://halifaxchamber.com/files/01/58/Economic_Summit_Recommendations.pdf

Phalanx
Jan 13, 2014, 2:10 AM
Read this article today, and thought of the current discussion on transit downtown:

Wirelessly charged electric buses set for Milton Keynes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25621426)

counterfactual
Jan 13, 2014, 3:23 AM
Read this article today, and thought of the current discussion on transit downtown:

Wirelessly charged electric buses set for Milton Keynes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25621426)

Is anything like this being discussed?

Any "big" ideas? Like LRT? Or even common sense ones, like hybrid buses?

Or is it really just a re-think about bus routing?

Ziobrop
Jan 13, 2014, 2:18 PM
Is anything like this being discussed?

Any "big" ideas? Like LRT? Or even common sense ones, like hybrid buses?

Or is it really just a re-think about bus routing?

Rail makes sense - the way to speed up buses is dedicated right of way. since we have rail already on most of those major corridors, it makes the most sense to re-use it.

For Halifax, a sensible solution is probably something like a bombardier Talent. They are Diesel Electric ("hybrid"), dont rely on overhead electric, and are in use in Ottawa (I believe they will be selling theirs as the line is being electrified, so we could even get a deal) I would re-lay the tack along Barrington and terminate at Purdys wharf. I'd put stops at HM Dockyard, Shipyard, Affricville, MSVU, Kearney Lake, Princes Lodge, mill cove, and end at sunnyside.

In Dartmouth, a lrt line on the waterfront would be good, connecting to both ferry stops - Eastern Passage, Shearwater, woodside, NSCC, Aderney, Dartmouth North, Wright, And end at Akerly.

then run Buses out from those locations to serve the local Neighborhoods.

OldDartmouthMark
Jan 13, 2014, 2:28 PM
The modern trolleybuses here in Vancouver are nice but I understand how they might be a marginal investment. They need overheads and they do pop off occasionally, although that happens infrequently and I think there is a system that allows the poles to automatically re-attach to the line (not sure how well it works). They have limited battery power so they can travel short distances without overhead power.

I think a better addition would be something similar to the Olympic Line, which was Bombardier Flexity streetcars that ran along an old rail line. The cost of upgrading the line was only $8.5M for 1.8 km. The line ran for 2 months with about 10,000 boardings per day and had zero issues. I think some of Toronto's new streetcars are similar. The cost is reasonable and they're much nicer than buses.

So Fuel Cell buses have not been successful in BC?

http://www.ballard.com/fuel-cell-applications/bus.aspx

The initial comment had to do with air quality in the downtown, and this is where fuel cell technology shines.
C.
Improved Air Quality
Zero-emission fuel cell buses improve general air quality by reducing oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate
matter (PM). NOx and PM are dangerous emissions that are closely associated with respiratory problems.

Source:
http://www.ballard.com/files/PDF/Bus/Bus_Benefits_FCvelocity.pdf

The technology is still being studied for cars, and would/will be difficult to deploy to the mass market due to the current lack of infrastructure to deal with hydrogen as everyman's fuel, but for commercial uses such as transit, where all servicing and fueling is done at their own facility it appears to be much more practical. There is also the issue that hydrogen gas doesn't exist in a natural state and thus must be manufactured (which requires energy), but I have seen cases where solar energy has been used as an energy source to manufacture hydrogen fuel, thereby making it a very clean process overall.

I haven't studied the use in BC, but I thought somebody living locally with an interest in transit might have heard the "buzz" as to whether it has been viable or not due to cost or other unforeseen issues.

Hybrid technology is OK, but as Keith mentioned, not all hydrogen vehicles have the ability to run on electric-only. In reality it is just a stepping stone to better technology.

Yeah, the old overhead-wire trolleys were interesting to say the least and troublesome to say the worst. I was just thinking of how well the electric bus system in SF appeared to work when I was there, but then they don't have winter conditions to contend with as we do.

Personally, I favour instituting rail service to cover the major routes with buses only in place to fill in the gaps on shorter runs.

xanaxanax
Jan 14, 2014, 4:11 AM
Whats the status of the empty land on Gottingen where the sobeys used to be across from the North Memorial Public Library. Its where the Gottingen Terrace project was going to go. I was talking to someone that I know very well that wants to build independent movie theater to cater to the film community comparable in size to the oxford but a little larger but for more of a niche crowd of film lovers and wants to build a Roller Rink on it and needs 20,000 sq feet of space to do so. The individual has no idea how to acquire the land in that spot for it and ideally would like to work with the Terrace project to have the condos built on top of and beside the Roller Rink and movie theater but has no idea how to contact them and isn't sure if they would be cooperative in a joint development of the land. Gottingen is the only street in the city they are interested in building these facilities its either there or nowhere at the moment.

someone123
Jan 14, 2014, 4:24 AM
The individual has no idea how to acquire the land in that spot for it and ideally would like to work with the Terrace project to have the condos built on top of and beside the Roller Rink and movie theater but has no idea how to contact them and isn't sure if they would be cooperative in a joint development of the land.

http://www.rhad.ca/GottingenTerrace/contact.html

I think we have a thread for Gottingen Terrace. I'd be interested to know what the status of that development is.

xanaxanax
Jan 14, 2014, 4:45 AM
http://www.rhad.ca/GottingenTerrace/contact.html

I think we have a thread for Gottingen Terrace. I'd be interested to know what the status of that development is.

The contact email bounced back, this seem to be a website for the 2009 version of the development

eastcoastal
Jan 14, 2014, 11:56 AM
...The individual has no idea how to acquire the land in that spot for it and ideally would like to work with the Terrace project to have the condos built on top of and beside the Roller Rink and movie theater but has no idea how to contact them ....

Maybe do a little Google sleuthing on the Creighton Gerrish Development Association. Even if the association is not currently functioning, the individuals involved likely have day jobs at which they can be reached. I'm not sure what the structure was, but if it was a non-profit with a board, it's likely that board members were/are active on other boards. People who get involved in the community at that level tend to be involved in more than one avenue.

Good luck.

Theatre + roller rink + housing is not a combo I would have naturally put together. It may be that if changes to non-profit housing funding rules resulted in less cash available to the association, that a partnership with a private developer, such as your friend with the theatre and roller rink cash, might prove beneficial.

ns_kid
Jan 14, 2014, 10:57 PM
Ahhh, I fondly remember the old electric trolleys - NOT!!! They have become romanticized in distant memory but they weren't that great in real life. The overhead wires were an eyesore, especially on major turns. The one at the corner of SGR and Barrington was so bad with the thick black wires you could barely see the sky.

I too fondly remember Halifax's trolleys. Really. Yes, poles sometimes slipped off the overhead, an occupational hazard on all such systems. But Halifax's sharp turns and steep hills posed a special challenge. I remember the intersection of SGR and Barrington very well: my dad's office was in the Capitol Theatre building, and I had a bird's-eye view of the intersection from his window. It was always fun to watch the trolleycoaches (to Nova Scotia Light and Power they were always trolleycoaches) as they rounded the corner to see if the pole would slip off and the operator (they were never drivers, always "operators") dash out to replace it.

Here's a pic of the place and the problem. (A bit overstated, I think, to say you couldn't see the sky!)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5536/11955079413_3a67c4d33f_z.jpg

Source: http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/articles/TrolleyCoaches2.jpg

Despite that, these coaches were clean, without exhaust, and NSLP maintained them immaculately inside and out. The drivers -- er, operators -- were always dressed in carefully pressed navy blue uniforms, complete with officer's cap. And, best of all, the coaches were almost silent. Would I trade a salt-encrusted, undersized Metro Transit diesel bus for an electric trolleycoach today? In a heartbeat.

OldDartmouthMark
Jan 15, 2014, 4:37 PM
I too fondly remember Halifax's trolleys. Really. Yes, poles sometimes slipped off the overhead, an occupational hazard on all such systems. But Halifax's sharp turns and steep hills posed a special challenge. I remember the intersection of SGR and Barrington very well: my dad's office was in the Capitol Theatre building, and I had a bird's-eye view of the intersection from his window. It was always fun to watch the trolleycoaches (to Nova Scotia Light and Power they were always trolleycoaches) as they rounded the corner to see if the pole would slip off and the operator (they were never drivers, always "operators") dash out to replace it.

Here's a pic of the place and the problem. (A bit overstated, I think, to say you couldn't see the sky!)

Source: http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/articles/TrolleyCoaches2.jpg

Despite that, these coaches were clean, without exhaust, and NSLP maintained them immaculately inside and out. The drivers -- er, operators -- were always dressed in carefully pressed navy blue uniforms, complete with officer's cap. And, best of all, the coaches were almost silent. Would I trade a salt-encrusted, undersized Metro Transit diesel bus for an electric trolleycoach today? In a heartbeat.

Nice pic! Thanks for posting that. Great info. :tup:

MPotter
Jan 15, 2014, 5:47 PM
Interesting clip from CBC this morning.

"Developers say HRM By Design not working- Danny Chedrawe and Jim Spatz say the development plan is good in theory, but in practise it binds developers with red tape."

http://www.cbc.ca/informationmorningns/2014/01/15/developers-say-hrm-by-design-not-working/

pblaauw
Jan 16, 2014, 4:07 AM
Committee recommends zebra stripes for crosswalks (http://unews.ca/committee-recommends-zebra-stripes-for-crosswalks/)

eastcoastal
Jan 16, 2014, 5:32 PM
Interesting clip from CBC this morning.

"Developers say HRM By Design not working- Danny Chedrawe and Jim Spatz say the development plan is good in theory, but in practise it binds developers with red tape."

http://www.cbc.ca/informationmorningns/2014/01/15/developers-say-hrm-by-design-not-working/

Jim Spatz seems to dislike HRMbyDesign mostly because he doesn't LIKE the massing rules. Danny's complaint sounded much more reasonable: based on difficulties translating the rules to smaller-scale works.

S-Man
Jan 19, 2014, 8:01 PM
Good day, Haligonians -

I sometimes peruse this thread from Ottawa, and saw my city referenced in regard to transit options.

Hybrid buses seem like a no-brainer, but Ottawa has had some trouble with them - mainly, that they didn't achieve the fuel efficiency in real-world scenarios that was promised before they were bought. Now, this is going back a couple of years, so maybe there are better models out there now.

Basically, the city was left in the situation of deciding whether to sell off/scrap its hybrid fleet, or pay for upgrades it hadn't anticipated.

I was recently in Cleveland, and they have an interesting diesel-electric bus system for their Hospital Line, which runs downtown. The drive system is basically like a huge Chevy Volt, with a small diesel generator providing power to a much more torquey electric drive motor, which then propels the bus.

The smaller-then-normal diesel doesn't rev, it just idles as it generates juice, while the smooth electric motor and single-speed transmission drives the bus. And this one was articulated, so it held a number of people.

As for the Bombardier diesel-electric train set we have (which is being upgraded to new engines/cars), it for the most part has been an economical, reliable system that utilized existing (unused) heavy rail tracks. It was made fun of at first, as people doubted the pilot project, but it turned out to surpass expectations and passenger numbers.

If it is put on a line connecting major destinations or transfer points, I don't see why a system like that wouldn't work elsewhere.

fenwick16
Jan 19, 2014, 9:54 PM
I was recently in Cleveland, and they have an interesting diesel-electric bus system for their Hospital Line, which runs downtown. The drive system is basically like a huge Chevy Volt, with a small diesel generator providing power to a much more torquey electric drive motor, which then propels the bus.

The smaller-then-normal diesel doesn't rev, it just idles as it generates juice, while the smooth electric motor and single-speed transmission drives the bus. And this one was articulated, so it held a number of people.

Halifax Metro Transit has a couple of hybrid buses - http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/HybridBuses.html

I like the electric bus system with a diesel generator that you described. Can these be charged overnight (when not in use) so that they can operate for some distance before requiring the diesel generator to kick in? If they can, then possibly a large percentage of the miles travelled could be from an overnight charge and there might be opportunities to do quick charges during the day (for example when a bus is waiting at a terminal it could use the inductive charging system previously posted by Phalanx - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25621426).

counterfactual
Jan 19, 2014, 10:31 PM
Halifax Metro Transit has a couple of hybrid buses - http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/HybridBuses.html

I like the electric bus system with a diesel generator that you described. Can these be charged overnight (when not in use) so that they can operate for some distance before requiring the diesel generator to kick in? If they can, then possibly a large percentage of the miles travelled could be from an overnight charge and there might be opportunities to do quick charges during the day (for example when a bus is waiting at a terminal it could use the inductive charging system previously posted by Phalanx - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25621426).

The Halifax buses are hybrid in what way?

I quite like the hybrid buses on Boston's Silver Line:

During the day, compressed natural gas (CNG) powered 60-foot Neoplan USA and diesel-electric hybrid New Flyer articulated buses are used on the SL4 and SL5 services for greater capacity than that provided by standard buses. At night, when the passenger load is less and the greater engine noise of the articulated buses is deemed more objectionable, standard (40-foot, non-articulated) CNG powered buses are used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Line_(MBTA)#SL4_and_SL5_equipment

Phalanx
Jan 19, 2014, 11:22 PM
The Halifax buses are hybrid in what way?

Diesel electric. Usually that's all that's meant by hybrid (some combination of combustion engine/electric motor). There's a fact sheet provided with Fenwick's link.

Not to be confused with fuel cell technology (hydrogen).

counterfactual
Jan 20, 2014, 12:17 AM
Diesel electric. Usually that's all that's meant by hybrid (some combination of combustion engine/electric motor). There's a fact sheet provided with Fenwick's link.

Not to be confused with fuel cell technology (hydrogen).

Thx. Also, not to be confused with CNG - compressed natural gas models.

Also:

"As Hybrid Buses Get Cheaper, Cities Fill Their Fleets"
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/22/automobiles/autospecial2/22BUS.html

That's a NYTimes piece from 5 years ago.

With "a couple" hybrid buses, we're behind the times (pun intended), as usual.

Phalanx
Jan 20, 2014, 12:24 AM

CNG is still combustion, just a different fuel source. Same thing in the end.

fenwick16
Jan 20, 2014, 2:34 AM

Also:

"As Hybrid Buses Get Cheaper, Cities Fill Their Fleets"
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/22/automobiles/autospecial2/22BUS.html

That's a NYTimes piece from 5 years ago.

With "a couple" hybrid buses, we're behind the times (pun intended), as usual.

There are many different types of hybrid vehicles. If Halifax gets a fleet of hybrid buses they could be obsolete within a few years. I am not promoting diesel combustion-type hybrid buses, which are essentially more efficient diesel combustion engines (I just stated that Halifax had a couple).

My post might not have been very clear. I would prefer to see Halifax go with all-electric buses that don't require overhead wires (like the old trolleys did) but instead go with all-electric buses with batteries that can be charged at night when the buses are out of service, and possibly during the day by using, for example, an inductive charging system at terminals (such buses could possibly have a backup diesel generator to charge the batteries only when necessary, like the Cleveland system that S-Man mentioned, but hopefully with future advances in battery technology the diesel generator would eventually not be used at all). Such buses, like the old trolley buses, would only utilize electric motors to power the drive system.

I was trying to point out that the system below (with its associated problems) could be replaced with newer generation all-electric buses. Here is an example - http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/thinking-tech/new-hybrid-bus-can-go-all-electric-all-day-long/

(source: http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/articles/TrolleyCoaches2.jpg originally posted by ns_kid)

kph06
Jan 20, 2014, 3:19 AM
Demolition of the Audi dealiship is about to begin on the old showroom and surrounding service buildings. Interior work is underway, construction fencing is going up, and an excavator is on site.

counterfactual
Jan 20, 2014, 3:57 AM
There are many different types of hybrid vehicles. If Halifax gets a fleet of hybrid buses they could be obsolete within a few years. I am not promoting diesel combustion-type hybrid buses, which are essentially more efficient diesel combustion engines (I just stated that Halifax had a couple).

My post might not have been very clear. I would prefer to see Halifax go with all-electric buses that don't require overhead wires (like the old trolleys did) but instead go with all-electric buses with batteries that can be charged at night when the buses are out of service, and possibly during the day by using, for example, an inductive charging system at terminals (such buses could possibly have a backup diesel generator to charge the batteries only when necessary, like the Cleveland system that S-Man mentioned, but hopefully with future advances in battery technology the diesel generator would eventually not be used at all). Such buses, like the old trolley buses, would only utilize electric motors to power the drive system.

I was trying to point out that the system below (with its associated problems) could be replaced with newer generation all-electric buses. Here is an example - http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/thinking-tech/new-hybrid-bus-can-go-all-electric-all-day-long/

(source: http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/articles/TrolleyCoaches2.jpg originally posted by ns_kid)

Actually, that sounds pretty awesome. I'd be on board.

How about a dedicated bus line the runs around the harbour near the rail cut, using all electric buses? :)

fenwick16
Jan 20, 2014, 4:43 AM
Actually, that sounds pretty awesome. I'd be on board.

How about a dedicated bus line the runs around the harbour near the rail cut, using all electric buses? :)

I think a rapid transit system needs to travel where the population densities are the highest so for that reason I don't think that the rail cut would be a good route.

Phalanx
Jan 20, 2014, 4:27 PM

The buses in the BBC article I linked to are all electric, no diesel generator. That was why I was sharing it. They get a full recharge at night, and then top up through the day at terminal stops.

bluenoser
Jan 23, 2014, 11:45 PM
Free Wi-Fi being considered for downtown Halifax / Dartmouth.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/free-wi-fi-in-public-part-of-50m-halifax-revitalization-plan-1.2507468

xanaxanax
Jan 24, 2014, 9:04 PM
Free Wi-Fi being considered for downtown Halifax / Dartmouth.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/free-wi-fi-in-public-part-of-50m-halifax-revitalization-plan-1.2507468

This is a huge waste of money and shows complete ignorance on Jennifer Watts part. Mobile wifi technology is very accessible to the public and will become even more so as things progress, if you want to your laptop in a park you can simply go out and buy a mobile wifi stick or you can use your cell phone as a modem to your laptop, ect... In a few years time in will become even more accessible to connect to the internet with anywhere with any laptop, phone, tablet, ect..

The Government subsidizing wifi is more moronic than the Government subsidizing a mass amount of public phone booths in large areas. Quite frankly this is the highest level of stupidity with a idea that someone has no knowledge or understanding of.

OldDartmouthMark
Jan 24, 2014, 9:43 PM
This is a huge waste of money and shows complete ignorance on Jennifer Watts part. Mobile wifi technology is very accessible to the public and will become even more so as things progress, if you want to your laptop in a park you can simply go out and buy a mobile wifi stick or you can use your cell phone as a modem to your laptop, ect... In a few years time in will become even more accessible to connect to the internet with anywhere with any laptop, phone, tablet, ect..

The Government subsidizing wifi is more moronic than the Government subsidizing a mass amount of public phone booths in large areas. Quite frankly this is the highest level of stupidity with a idea that someone has no knowledge or understanding of.

I am probably the wrong guy to ask this question, as I'm not up to date on the latest technology, but isn't the attraction of wifi that people can use their smartphones without eating into their monthly data allotment, i.e. they can use the internet on their phones without having to pay for a larger data package each month?

Drybrain
Jan 24, 2014, 9:56 PM

I've got to disagree with this. Of course I would want to know what the expense would be before deciding one way or the other, but for all the blah blah blah about making the government open for business, etc etc., providing free wi-fi in the primary business district is a GREAT idea, especially for out-of-country business travellers who would otherwise be paying exorbitant roaming rates.

There are zillions of cities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipal_wireless_network#Canada) that already offer city centre wi-fi--sometimes it's free, sometimes it costs a small fee. Free cities in Canada include Moncton, Fredericton and Montreal.

Last month, Michael Bloomberg announced the largest such free project in the U.S., which would cover 95 blocks of Harlem if implemented.

Drybrain
Jan 24, 2014, 9:57 PM
I am probably the wrong guy to ask this question, as I'm not up to date on the latest technology, but isn't the attraction of wifi that people can use their smartphones without eating into their monthly data allotment, i.e. they can use the internet on their phones without having to pay for a larger data package each month?

Yes.

xanaxanax
Jan 24, 2014, 10:04 PM

They aren't that expensive and the government shouldn't be providing it regardless, it will needlessly coast millions to implement and keep. How often are people in a situation where they need to have the internet while walking by a government building. I'm all for $50 million being spent to revitalization plan for Halifax but it shouldn't be this. The price of cell phone service and date packages is also going to drop to Japan levels gradually after IP6 is implemented and the competition is going to open up hugely for services of it. I can't picture students and low income people sitting in Grand Parade using their smart phones, tablets and laptops, its only going to be people that work in the area that can afford a wifi usb stick if anyone. Every company I have ever worked for has had mobile wifi equipment for their employees. If you want to sit outside and work the company you work for should be providing it.

OldDartmouthMark
Jan 24, 2014, 10:15 PM
They aren't that expensive and the government shouldn't be providing it regardless, it will needlessly coast millions to implement and keep. How often are people in a situation where they need to have the internet while walking by a government building. I'm all for $50 million being spent to revitalization plan for Halifax but it shouldn't be this. The price of cell phone service and date packages is also going to drop to Japan levels gradually after IP6 is implemented and the competition is going to open up hugely for services of it. I can't picture students and low income people sitting in Grand Parade using their smart phones, tablets and laptops, its only going to be people that work in the area that can afford a wifi usb stick if anyone. Every company I have ever worked for has had mobile wifi equipment for their employees. If you want to sit outside and work the company you work for should be providing it.

How much of that $50M will be spent on setting up wifi? My impression is that it's not all that costly to do, otherwise every little coffee shop in town would not be able to afford to provide it to their customers. Not arguing, just wanting some numbers to put it in perspective.

xanaxanax
Jan 24, 2014, 10:22 PM
How much of that $50M will be spent on setting up wifi? My impression is that it's not all that costly to do, otherwise every little coffee shop in town would not be able to afford to provide it to their customers. Not arguing, just wanting some numbers to put it in perspective.

Not that costly, it cost $600,000 for Free Wi-Fi in 30 public areas in San Francisco for two years and Google footed the bill for it. It will be at least a million Dollars for services and equipment here to do the same.

OldDartmouthMark
Jan 24, 2014, 10:29 PM
Not that costly, it cost $600,000 for Free Wi-Fi in 30 public areas in San Francisco for two years and Google footed the bill for it. It will be at least a million Dollars for services and equipment here to do the same.

Thanks for the info. Maybe we should get a major tech company to pay for that service here, y'know somebody like Blackberry. Errrr... oh yeah. :hmmm::ahhh:

xanaxanax
Jan 25, 2014, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the info. Maybe we should get a major tech company to pay for that service here, y'know somebody like Blackberry. Errrr... oh yeah. :hmmm::ahhh:

If some tech company paid for it it would be nice. Even if it city does it for only a few 100 thousand dollars which is the bare minimal I picture it coasting for a few locations, thats a lot of money just so a few passer byers walking down the street can log into facebook for a few minutes.

Drybrain
Jan 25, 2014, 12:31 AM

Why would it cost more here than in San Francisco, a larger city?

In any case, again, this isn't some crazy idea Watts dreamed up out of nowhere. Lots of cities do it.

Dmajackson
Jan 25, 2014, 1:21 AM
Garden Crest Apartments at 5881 Spring Garden Road (Summer Street north-west corner) is planning a commercial extension. The plan is to essentially build a street-level podium two floors high to house the existing restaurant, new commercial space, a residential vestibule, and 2nd floor office space.

This project will add new commercial to the west-end of Spring Garden Road and along with the plans for Carlton Terrace (Thread) (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206804) next door this will add greatly to the north sidewalks already pedestrian-friendly area.

Google Streetview (https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=spring+garden+road+and+summer+street+halifax&ll=44.641185,-63.583809&spn=0.001376,0.00327&sll=44.641329,-63.583251&layer=c&cbp=13,339.45,,0,-6.13&cbll=44.641155,-63.583927&hnear=Spring+Garden+Rd+%26+Summer+St,+Halifax,+Halifax+Regional+Municipality,+Nova+Scotia+B3H&t=h&z=19&panoid=Uofd-CVg3Qn6F3FQgbQ9tw)

Case 19050 Details (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/applications/Case19050Details.php)

The project is considered a substantive amendment to an existing development agreement (from 1994) so it will require a public hearing at Halifax & West Community Council.

someone123
Jan 25, 2014, 5:34 AM
That is a nice project, and it's a natural way for the downtown to expand. I could see Spring Garden near Robie feeling more like Spring Garden and South Park in the future, if some of the proposed and rumoured projects are built.

There's a general trend emerging with owners adding retail spaces to existing buildings. This is likely to continue if the pace of residential construction keeps up and densities keep going up. If the population of the core were to, say, double (not actually unrealistic -- that amounts to only 2-3 years of growth for the metro area) the density of shops and amenities would go up a lot. The concentration of interesting, vibrant streetscapes would go up dramatically, and there wouldn't be so many dull stretches.

counterfactual
Jan 25, 2014, 6:07 AM
Garden Crest Apartments at 5881 Spring Garden Road (Summer Street north-west corner) is planning a commercial extension. The plan is to essentially build a street-level podium two floors high to house the existing restaurant, new commercial space, a residential vestibule, and 2nd floor office space.

This project will add new commercial to the west-end of Spring Garden Road and along with the plans for Carlton Terrace (Thread) (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206804) next door this will add greatly to the north sidewalks already pedestrian-friendly area.

Google Streetview (https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=spring+garden+road+and+summer+street+halifax&ll=44.641185,-63.583809&spn=0.001376,0.00327&sll=44.641329,-63.583251&layer=c&cbp=13,339.45,,0,-6.13&cbll=44.641155,-63.583927&hnear=Spring+Garden+Rd+%26+Summer+St,+Halifax,+Halifax+Regional+Municipality,+Nova+Scotia+B3H&t=h&z=19&panoid=Uofd-CVg3Qn6F3FQgbQ9tw)

Case 19050 Details (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/applications/Case19050Details.php)

The project is considered a substantive amendment to an existing development agreement (from 1994) so it will require a public hearing at Halifax & West Community Council.

WHILE I SUPPORT MY COMMUNITY AND DEVELOPMENT ON AND AROUND SPRING GARDEN ROAD, I CANNOT SUPPORT THIS DEVELOPMENT FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

1. Sometimes when I walk on this sidewalk in front of this building, the sun shines down on me in the afternoon. The additional development will block that sun forever.

2. I live in an apartment in Spring Garden Terrace. This development will block the view of the sidewalk from my kitchen.

3. This area is already too crowded and new commercial space will bring even more people around. I am old and tired, and I just feel that this is not right.

4. Like Spirit Place, this development could attract young people and "singles". This is inherently bad. It might also lower my property value. Just saying.

5. The wind on Spring Garden is like a polar vortex, even in the summer. This will create more wind. We are all born with certain inalienable human rights. They include freedom of speech and freedom from wind.

6. Commercial space will bring more cars. There are already major traffic jams at all times of the day on Summer Street. Ok, I'm lying, but still.

7. Is this much height really necessary? Right now, the restaurant is on the ground floor and I just feel that this matches the neighbourhood more. Two storeys is just too much height. Can't this be achieved by adding half of a floor to the existing floor? Or better yet, maybe bury the whole thing underground.

8. This is a heritage neighbourhood and this development is inconsistent with heritage requirements. Well, not a heritage neighbourhood yet. But we are requesting heritage designation as "CounterfactualVille". The community dates back to the 1300's. I bet you cannot find any evidence to rebut this claim. Friends of CounterfactualVille believe that his development neglects that history.

9. Phil Pacey says no. Like a boss.

10. The world will end if this goes forward.

Aya_Akai
Jan 25, 2014, 8:25 AM
WHILE I SUPPORT MY COMMUNITY AND DEVELOPMENT ON AND AROUND SPRING GARDEN ROAD, I CANNOT SUPPORT THIS DEVELOPMENT FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

1. Sometimes when I walk on this sidewalk in front of this building, the sun shines down on me in the afternoon. The additional development will block that sun forever.

2. I live in an apartment in Spring Garden Terrace. This development will block the view of the sidewalk from my kitchen.

3. This area is already too crowded and new commercial space will bring even more people around. I am old and tired, and I just feel that this is not right.

4. Like Spirit Place, this development could attract young people and "singles". This is inherently bad. It might also lower my property value. Just saying.

5. The wind on Spring Garden is like a polar vortex, even in the summer. This will create more wind. We are all born with certain inalienable human rights. They include freedom of speech and freedom from wind.

6. Commercial space will bring more cars. There are already major traffic jams at all times of the day on Summer Street. Ok, I'm lying, but still.

7. Is this much height really necessary? Right now, the restaurant is on the ground floor and I just feel that this matches the neighbourhood more. Two storeys is just too much height. Can't this be achieved by adding half of a floor to the existing floor? Or better yet, maybe bury the whole thing underground.

8. This is a heritage neighbourhood and this development is inconsistent with heritage requirements. Well, not a heritage neighbourhood yet. But we are requesting heritage designation as "CounterfactualVille". The community dates back to the 1300's. I bet you cannot find any evidence to rebut this claim. Friends of CounterfactualVille believe that his development neglects that history.

^ and THAT is how I've felt about the anti whatever-is-currently-causeing-an-uproar people and whatever it is they're against- for the last 8 years. I think they have some sacred scroll with basic anti development commandments on it, to be ammended to be used in specific situations to apply to whatever it is that's current and "scary" :haha:

Jstaleness
Jan 25, 2014, 5:26 PM

I loved this. I realized it was a joke at number 2. Your first point could be considered.

Dmajackson
Jan 28, 2014, 4:03 AM
[deleted due to copyright complaint]

Drybrain
Jan 28, 2014, 3:22 PM
[DELETED DUE TO COPYRIGHT COMPLAINT]

Good news on all counts, except for the Doyle Street block, which would be a tragedy to lose to redevelopment. But I imagine that must be years away, since Fireside Restaurant has stayed put and renovated rather than move as planned, and several new business have opened up there recently.

kwajo
Jan 28, 2014, 7:03 PM

Amazing. If only you could see me applauding you right now.

halifaxboyns
Jan 28, 2014, 8:50 PM

I read this as I was eating my lunch and did a Danny Thomas spit take. My employer will be contacting you with the bill to replace my keyboard...=)

counterfactual
Jan 29, 2014, 5:14 AM
I read this as I was eating my lunch and did a Danny Thomas spit take. My employer will be contacting you with the bill to replace my keyboard...=)

:haha::haha:

Dmajackson
Jan 30, 2014, 2:04 AM
Upper Water among nation’s costliest streets
3 hours ago
the chronicle herald

Upper Water Street has been ranked as one of Canada’s most expensive in 2013, says a new report.

In its third annual report on most expensive streets for office space, Jones Lang LaSalle Inc. ranked Upper Water as the seventh-priciest, sandwiched between Rene-Levesque Boulevard West in Montreal and Portage Avenue in Winnipeg.

Read More on thechronicleherald.ca (http://thechronicleherald.ca//business/1183019-upper-water-among-nation-s-costliest-streets?utm_source=website&utm_medium=mobi&utm_campaign=full-site)

spaustin
Jan 30, 2014, 2:15 AM
[I]Upper Water among nation’s costliest streets
3 hours ago
the chronicle herald

Read More on thechronicleherald.ca (http://thechronicleherald.ca//business/1183019-upper-water-among-nation-s-costliest-streets?utm_source=website&utm_medium=mobi&utm_campaign=full-site)

Seems like a pretty weak conclusion. Upper Water really has nothing on it except Purdy's.

Dmajackson
Feb 1, 2014, 12:50 AM
Westwood Group in conjunction with Teal Architects will be holding a Open House on February 10th, 2014 (4-6pm at 1475 Queen Street) for their proposed DHX Building Expansion (SGR & Queen).

Source : WestwoodGroup.ca PDF (http://www.westwoodgroup.ca/wp-content/themes/westwood/images/public-open-house.pdf)

Dmajackson
Feb 7, 2014, 7:14 PM
Westwood Group in conjunction with Teal Architects will be holding a Open House on February 10th, 2014 (4-6pm at 1475 Queen Street) for their proposed DHX Building Expansion (SGR & Queen).

Source : WestwoodGroup.ca PDF (http://www.westwoodgroup.ca/wp-content/themes/westwood/images/public-open-house.pdf)

The Design Review Committee will be introduced to this project next week (February 13th, 2014).

Pre-Application Package (http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/documents/140205DRCPre-appPackage.pdf)

The proposal looks great and while not large in any sense it will help expand the retail and urban feel of Queen Street in response to the library and sister lots being developed. One thing that is cool about this proposal is the easement requiring access to an in-block parking lot out back. Instead of ending the building at the easement line Westwood is building over the easement and continuing to the lot limits effectively blocking the view of an at-grade parking lot.

Dmajackson
Feb 7, 2014, 7:59 PM
Also at the Design Review Committee next week is the site plan approval for the commercial additions to the Brunswick Street Towers.

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/documents/Case19058.pdf

fenwick16
Feb 8, 2014, 12:19 AM
Also at the Design Review Committee next week is the site plan approval for the commercial additions to the Brunswick Street Towers.

http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/documents/Case19058.pdf

It is good to see a couple of renderings in the document.

This is a good start. Hopefully something can be done about the blank concrete wall along Cogswell Street sometime in the not too distant future.

kph06
Feb 10, 2014, 1:54 AM
The two old homes at 1056 and 1060 Barrington Street between Green and Smith were torn down in the last few days. These were looking pretty sketchy and run down the last few years. These connect to a good sized empty lot on Smith, which when combined have the potential for an L-shapped building depending in land ownership.

Drybrain
Feb 10, 2014, 2:12 AM
The two old homes at 1056 and 1060 Barrington Street between Green and Smith were torn down in the last few days. These were looking pretty sketchy and run down the last few years. These connect to a good sized empty lot on Smith, which when combined have the potential for an L-shapped building depending in land ownership.

I dunno, I guess, but that's still kinda unfortunate. They were dilapidated, but there are still more pretty nice old vernacular houses slated for demolition eventually around there, including on Kent Street. I'm also afraid that the houses used as storefronts around that nearby intersection at Inglis and Victoria are potential teardowns.

It's a shame because so much of the neighbourhood looks like this (http://goo.gl/maps/AxVkJ), right next door to 1056. Tear that down, developers.

xanaxanax
Feb 10, 2014, 2:22 AM

That is a real dame shame because they were the only interesting bits of character that part of Barrington had, you may cool them old and run down " sketchy " but the surrounding buildings aren't very nice looking.

counterfactual
Feb 10, 2014, 3:43 AM
I dunno, I guess, but that's still kinda unfortunate. They were dilapidated, but there are still more pretty nice old vernacular houses slated for demolition eventually around there, including on Kent Street. I'm also afraid that the houses used as storefronts around that nearby intersection at Inglis and Victoria are potential teardowns.

It's a shame because so much of the neighbourhood looks like this (http://goo.gl/maps/AxVkJ), right next door to 1056. Tear that down, developers.

On the other side of Barrington, there is so much wasted space. That Tim Hortons looks like it should be out in the suburbs somewhere, not in an area that ought to be more densely developed.

Those houses did look shabby, as do the blue ones further down the street. Would it kill these people to apply a new coating of paint everyone 30 years or so, just to keep things looking a little nicer?

Why the shabbiness? Is it just cheap owners/landlords, wanting to avoid rising taxes via increased property assessments?

Dmajackson
Feb 10, 2014, 6:24 AM
On the other side of Barrington, there is so much wasted space. That Tim Hortons looks like it should be out in the suburbs somewhere, not in an area that ought to be more densely developed.

Why the shabbiness? Is it just cheap owners/landlords, wanting to avoid rising taxes via increased property assessments?

Tim Horton's was built to the standard at the time. After Southport gets built it will see more pressure put on the company to sell the land. This particular Tim's services the South Downtown area which given the high usage of "active" commuting could probably do fine with a large walk-in only shop. Tim's recently opened a beautiful new location in the Bow Tower (Calgary) on the Plus 15 network so I know when prompted they are capable of building great locations. Hopefully a similar one will be built to replace this and/or the Spring Garden location.

As for the shabbiness it mostly has to do with investment. Most of the buildings in the South and North Ends are owned by investment companies that buy up properties, get the rent money until the leases are over, buy up a few neighbours over time, demolish the buildings, then sell them to developers as a package. Some investors will go as far as getting a development agreement before selling the land.

The good news about drive-thrus is the Centre Plan will presumably limit their locations on the Peninsula. Gas stations have been shuttering around the Peninsula for a while now and after land clean-up they can become nice redevelopments spots (ie Bayers & Oxford).

Dmajackson
Feb 11, 2014, 3:54 AM

Apparently the plan is to get quick approval for this project and start construction in April. The building should be complete in the Fall to complement the new library.

Source : "DANNY CHEDRAWE TARGETS APRIL START AT WINSBY'S" by Amy Pugsley Fraser (February 11th, 2014) - AllNovaScotia.com

worldlyhaligonian
Feb 11, 2014, 8:31 PM

Come on now, there are plenty of this style of house on other residential streets. I think the main streets of Halifax are developing well... those houses were out of place and run down. I'm sorry, but they don't contribute and the way they were being used as retail was not the best... in fact it was sketchy and I don't think it benefited the area.

Let's get more density (that isn't faux historic) along that stretch and keep the houses on back streets that are "vernacular" intact.

Like that one house on SGR... it needs to go. There are tons of examples in the neighbourhoods of that style.

worldlyhaligonian
Feb 11, 2014, 8:33 PM
Apparently the plan is to get quick approval for this project and start construction in April. The building should be complete in the Fall to complement the new library.

Source : "DANNY CHEDRAWE TARGETS APRIL START AT WINSBY'S" by Amy Pugsley Fraser (February 11th, 2014) - AllNovaScotia.com

Nice... quick win for SGR and the area.

Drybrain
Feb 11, 2014, 9:07 PM
Come on now, there are plenty of this style of house on other residential streets. I think the main streets of Halifax are developing well... those houses were out of place and run down. I'm sorry, but they don't contribute and the way they were being used as retail was not the best... in fact it was sketchy and I don't think it benefited the area.

Let's get more density (that isn't faux historic) along that stretch and keep the houses on back streets that are "vernacular" intact.

Like that one house on SGR... it needs to go. There are tons of examples in the neighbourhoods of that style.

There really aren't that many though, that have well-preserved finishings and details and that sense of grandeur. No reason that house on SGR has to go. Lots of way bigger cities than Halifax have main streets featuring converted homes. (Heck, some of the big Victorians on Barrington are old mansions.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting all weepy over a couple of old houses. Just thinking out loud that the "there's plenty more" attitude tends to prevail until there aren't plenty, anymore.

xanaxanax
Feb 11, 2014, 10:36 PM
Talk of a new Concert Hall has been going on for a while.
http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/938200/symphony-nova-scotia-eyes-new-concert-hall-halifax-waterfront-considered-the-ideal-spot/

Where would the ideal spot on the Waterfront be for a new Concert Hall. Could one fit in the Cogswell interchange redevelopment or between the PwC building and the Waterfront Warehouse? Seems like lots of attractions are asking for space on the Waterfront now, New Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, Battle of the Atlantic, Cunard Block, Queens Landing, People want a aquarium somewhere eventually, and this Concert Hall. Is there room for them all?

Keith P.
Feb 11, 2014, 11:38 PM
I think we really need a decent sized music/arts venue. I am not sure it makes sense to put it on the waterfront. It could really go anywhere, within reason. It would be good to have it in or near the downtown core to generate synergies with the hotels, bars and restaurants there.

Maybe take a few floors of Nova Center!

counterfactual
Feb 12, 2014, 1:38 AM
I think we really need a decent sized music/arts venue. I am not sure it makes sense to put it on the waterfront. It could really go anywhere, within reason. It would be good to have it in or near the downtown core to generate synergies with the hotels, bars and restaurants there.

Maybe take a few floors of Nova Center!

Let's convert the armoury to a Center for the Arts. Here's the Park Avenue Armory in NYC:

http://www.armoryonpark.org/images/event_images/NY_Phil_Rendering.jpg

kph06
Feb 12, 2014, 2:40 AM

I could see that building's days being numbered - it has the same owners as the houses torn down and the parking lot behind. Maybe we'll see a proposal soon.

beyeas
Feb 12, 2014, 1:16 PM
Let's convert the armoury to a Center for the Arts. Here's the Park Avenue Armory in NYC:

http://www.armoryonpark.org/images/event_images/NY_Phil_Rendering.jpg

I have certainly voiced support for this before, and I think that there could be an interesting opportunity to link a revamped Armoury as a performing arts venue with the tear down of Cogswell and reconnecting the north end with the downtown. Parking is obviously an "issue", but one that could be dealt with. Overall though, I think that this could an interesting project that links the border of downtown and the north end.

I also do agree with Keith that this is not one of the ones that is critical to be on the water. A performing arts venue is mostly going to be used in evenings, and even then not every evening by any stretch, so much of the time it would be a dead zone. What I want to see on the waterfront are things that are going to be actively used for many hours a day and will generate activity on a daily basis (e.g. the new museum proposal)

MonctonRad
Feb 12, 2014, 2:31 PM
:previous:

Now this is an excellent idea. Redevelop the armoury as a cultural space with a large concert hall, and (since the building is so large), for other uses as well - such as an exhibit space or with smaller recital halls. This is exactly what the armoury should be repurposed for! Kill two birds with one stone rather than building another monument on the waterfront. This is a real win/win proposition!! :yes:

Dmajackson
Feb 12, 2014, 10:20 PM
The Bay / Eurofax Building Expansion is moving forward. First reading for the MPS amendments will be on Tuesday (February 18th, 2014). A public hearing will follow and after the amendments are in affect the development agreement will be approved separately.

Case 18462 Staff Report (http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/west/documents/1011-Case18462-140218hwcc.pdf)

In response to the PIM held in 2012 the exterior of the existing parkade will now be lined timber to hide the concrete.

kph06
Feb 13, 2014, 9:35 PM
The Bay / Eurofax Building Expansion is moving forward. First reading for the MPS amendments will be on Tuesday (February 18th, 2014). A public hearing will follow and after the amendments are in affect the development agreement will be approved separately.

Case 18462 Staff Report (http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/west/documents/1011-Case18462-140218hwcc.pdf)

In response to the PIM held in 2012 the exterior of the existing parkade will now be lined timber to hide the concrete.

The move must have started for CBC, a CBC satellite dish is now on the west side of the building by the side road to Walmart.

Dmajackson
Feb 18, 2014, 6:26 PM

The Public Information Meeting for the Garden Crest Expansion will be held on March 6th, 2014 @ 7pm @ 6310 Coburg Road Room 117.

I don't know if it was mentioned before but Daniel Daniel Dentistry will be moving out of the building to some building in the North-End.

MeEtc
Feb 19, 2014, 9:27 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned before but Daniel Daniel Dentistry will be moving out of the building to some building in the North-End.

Their new space is being renovated right now, signs are up in the window at the former Living Lighting space on Lady Hammond Rd.

xanaxanax
Feb 21, 2014, 6:22 PM
Whats going on with the Khyber, apparently the city is really mishandling the issue they are having and mucking things up for them, they closed the building down without notice to anyone because of reports of asbestos but the building was built before asbestos was commonly used so the findings were most likely false or in a very small limited area from renovations at some point in time to a limited area. 1. According to the last study on the building (received Feb 19) it appears as though there are only a few localized spots that need to be worked on and its just for the 2nd floor. Apparently the Khyber is being completely ignored in their requests for updates for a timeline for completing the proposed reno's and reopening and having temporary accommodations provided to them that were promised

Keith P.
Feb 21, 2014, 9:36 PM
Maybe the city is trying to get some value out of this property instead of letting the handful of Khyber members use it as their personal clubhouse.

I still maintain that the best thing that could happen to this building and its decrepit neighbors is a Cat D-8.

worldlyhaligonian
Feb 28, 2014, 10:58 PM
A photo update of most of the developments would be great :cheers:

kph06
Mar 1, 2014, 9:20 PM
A couple scraps that don't have their own thread.

New Audi dealership (site of former dealership):
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/12857193864_061f9c6f4d_b.jpg

Defense Research Canada new building. This will likely be moving slow, due to multiple lawsuits/liens. Formwork company is suing the general contractor, and the crane rental company is suing the formwork company.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7302/12856861733_fda957573b_b.jpg

Metalsales
Mar 3, 2014, 8:30 PM
The Audi dealership is going to be a lot different. Audi has two designs that they stick to and it will stand out on the street.

A big improvement over the previous buildings.

Hali87
Mar 3, 2014, 8:56 PM
For anyone interested in local urban issues, Dal's annual planning conference (dalhousieplanningconference.com) is going on this weekend, as well as the Elizabeth May Symposium (http://emaychair.dal.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=38) which generally touches on urban issues. Both conferences are open to the public and most events are free.

Keith P.
Mar 3, 2014, 9:00 PM
The Audi dealership is going to be a lot different. Audi has two designs that they stick to and it will stand out on the street.

A big improvement over the previous buildings.

The original building was built for Towne Toyota in the 1970s and was pretty undersized even then. Any improvement would be welcome.

Dmajackson
Mar 4, 2014, 4:24 AM
Some random commercial building going up at 66 Highfield Park Drive. Photo by me today;

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3668/12919828513_bca3729775_c.jpg
Source : Urban_Halifax @ Flickr.com (http://www.flickr.com/photos/urban_halifax/)

eastcoastal
Mar 4, 2014, 3:35 PM
Some random commercial building going up at 66 Highfield Park Drive. Photo by me today;

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3668/12919828513_bca3729775_c.jpg
Source : Urban_Halifax @ Flickr.com (http://www.flickr.com/photos/urban_halifax/)

Is that near the new St. John Ambulance building?

HalifaxRetales
Mar 5, 2014, 3:32 PM
Is that near the new St. John Ambulance building?

yes between SJA and the Gallery 1/Convergys

Dmajackson
Mar 5, 2014, 7:56 PM
May Street Townhouses. Taken today by me ;

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/12955290384_35c545e52e_c.jpg

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 5, 2014, 9:01 PM
May Street Townhouses. Taken today by me ;

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/12955290384_35c545e52e_c.jpg

Interesting, I thought this one wasn't going to happen a few years back.

Dmajackson
Mar 5, 2014, 10:11 PM

The public hearing for this is on April 1st at Regional Council.

someone123
Mar 6, 2014, 3:05 AM
Here's a rendering for May Street:

http://hometeamhalifax.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/25730_106568959367473_106568839367485_164990_3728282_n-300x160.jpg
Source (http://hometeamhalifax.com/?p=63)

Keith P.
Mar 6, 2014, 11:45 AM
Perhaps I should buy one of these units so I can be in close proximity to the Ecology Action Center. I wonder if they have sufficient parking for a large SUV? Do they have a common yard where I could install a chiminea? A deck where I could blow smoke from a Havana in their general direction? ;)

Dmajackson
Mar 7, 2014, 8:34 PM
North End Updates (photos by me today);

RONA on Almon Street :

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3758/12995976643_dee2cc49fc_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7451/12995973473_72097f9f65_c.jpg

Morris House Expansion (Charles & Creighton) :

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3609/12995965823_2692d7d6c0_c.jpg

ILoveHalifax
Mar 7, 2014, 8:36 PM
That will be great to have a Rona on the peninsula

counterfactual
Mar 7, 2014, 8:54 PM

Totally.

mcmcclassic
Mar 8, 2014, 1:55 AM

There already is a RONA there (formerly Piercey's). The new store is to replace the old location, and the old location will stay open as a clearance center for the next little while.

Source: I work for RONA.

ILoveHalifax
Mar 8, 2014, 5:20 AM
There already is a RONA there (formerly Piercey's). The new store is to replace the old location, and the old location will stay open as a clearance center for the next little while.

Source: I work for RONA.

Haven't been there since it was Piercey's and that was such a poor store I never went back. I would head out to Bayers Lake for hardware.

worldlyhaligonian
Mar 8, 2014, 12:55 PM
Where on Almon is this?

ILoveHalifax
Mar 8, 2014, 12:59 PM
Next to Shoppers Drug where the old Fowles Motors used to be.

Keith P.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:47 PM
I can't understand why they didn't design a windowed wall along the Almon St side.

macgregor
Mar 8, 2014, 4:50 PM
I can't understand why they didn't design a windowed wall along the Almon St side.

The blank wall is shameful.

Keith P.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:13 PM
The blank wall is shameful.

It's as if they took one of their stock store designs from a place like Bayers Lake and dropped it onto this lot without any consideration of the fact that it fronted on a street.