PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

JET
Oct 29, 2013, 5:05 PM
A fence has gone up around the old H&R Block building on Rainie Dr. Demolition is imminent.

is there something planned for that location?

OldDartmouthMark
Oct 29, 2013, 5:17 PM
is there something planned for that location?

Yep! :)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206450

JET
Oct 29, 2013, 7:08 PM
Yep! :)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206450

hmmm, looks like we're going to have a lot of Alpine Skiing roofs in Halifax

mcmcclassic
Oct 30, 2013, 12:59 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it looks to be a fairly significant sub-urban proposal for Bedford. I think it'll be by the old Day's Inn near Larry Uteck Dr. but located on the Bedford Highway. 2 10 storey buildings perched on 1 floor of commercial space.

Link: http://www.halifax.ca/planning/documents/Case18705Plans_2013_07_03.pdf

wackypacky
Oct 31, 2013, 10:38 AM
There is fencing up and a mobile crane on site at the Mic Mac Mall parking lot where ford usually sets up. No idea what for.

HalifaxRetales
Oct 31, 2013, 11:06 AM
There is fencing up and a mobile crane on site at the Mic Mac Mall parking lot where ford usually sets up. No idea what for.

Q104 is going to drop a giant pumpkin in the parking lot

mcmcclassic
Oct 31, 2013, 12:17 PM
Q104 is going to drop a giant pumpkin in the parking lot

Saw it driving to work today. 780lbs of pumpkin! Apparently according to the Q, there were ping pong balls inside the pumpkin. The person's ball who landed closest to the centre of a target they painted won a trip to see Ozzy in The Netherlands.:righton:

wackypacky
Oct 31, 2013, 1:30 PM
Saw it driving to work today. 780lbs of pumpkin! Apparently according to the Q, there were ping pong balls inside the pumpkin. The person's ball who landed closest to the centre of a target they painted won a trip to see Ozzy in The Netherlands.:righton:

bahaha finally I think I have some construction info to share and its a pumpkin drop.

someone123
Nov 5, 2013, 4:02 AM
I think this is a new angle for 1057 Barrington (Southport):

http://imagecontent.buzzbuzzhome.com/imageSponsors/Original/2013_10_28_02_22_02_southport_rendering2.jpg
http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/southport1

JET
Nov 5, 2013, 3:14 PM
I think this is a new angle for 1057 Barrington (Southport):

http://imagecontent.buzzbuzzhome.com/imageSponsors/Original/2013_10_28_02_22_02_southport_rendering2.jpg
http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/southport1

looks better from that angle

scooby074
Nov 5, 2013, 3:35 PM
looks better from that angle

I agree.

The multicolour "containers" on the front dont look so obvious from this angle.

Now, the balconies ... hmmm. A bit ugly.:shrug: They'd look better with open fronts, maybe glass like the Vic, or rails or something. It looks like a solid wall of white there, parking garage-esque.

TheNovaScotian
Nov 5, 2013, 5:01 PM
Most of that is just reflection on the clear balconies.

My only problem with it other than maybe a few stories taller is the giant blank wall along whatever road is on the lower right of the rendering.
If that's down at the south end of Barrington, we already have that suburban looking catastrophe that kills what could be a lot busier part of Barrington.
https://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1C1DVCJ_enCA495CA495&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl

Drybrain
Nov 5, 2013, 7:38 PM
Most of that is just reflection on the clear balconies.

My only problem with it other than maybe a few stories taller is the giant blank wall along whatever road is on the lower right of the rendering.
If that's down at the south end of Barrington, we already have that suburban looking catastrophe that kills what could be a lot busier part of Barrington.
https://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1C1DVCJ_enCA495CA495&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl

Given the location, that must be an access road to the back of the property—there is no public street at that location.

And yeah, I know what you’re saying, but I still like the project. In my opinion, the best way to redevelop this area will be to fill in all those empty lots with these kinds of mid-rise residential buildings, and rehab/storefront-ize all those beautiful Victorians and the saltboxes that are still pretty numerous between Kent and Inglis, in order to create a historical/contemporary mix, add a lot of population, and make it more of the main street Barrington should be.

Once that’s done, I’ll have no objections should developers want to start tearing down the 1960s-80s apartment buildings and doubling their density.

Dmajackson
Nov 6, 2013, 3:53 AM
The provincial Justice and Energy departments will be moving into the Joe Howe Building on Hollis Street (next to the namesake's statue) in the new year. The building is currently undergoing a complete interior and exterior overhaul.

Source : "Mani Suissa Fills The Howe Building" (November 5th, 2013) - AllNovaScotia.com

counterfactual
Nov 6, 2013, 4:02 AM
The provincial Justice and Energy departments will be moving into the Joe Howe Building on Hollis Street (next to the namesake's statue) in the new year. The building is currently undergoing a complete interior and exterior overhaul.

Source : "Mani Suissa Fills The Howe Building" (November 5th, 2013) - AllNovaScotia.com

Wow, that's great. Some commitment to downtown Halifax from the provincial government.

Yes, it's actually *okay* for a Provincial Government to locate agencies, departments, and related jobs, in the capital.

In fact, it's both efficient and much more cost effective, especially when civil servants have a right to refuse a move, and do so in droves.

Great to see a change from Dexter's anti-Halifax pandering; ie, moving provincial departments and jobs out of town.

(I realize Energy and Justice were already somewhere else downtown. But still. :) )

scooby074
Nov 6, 2013, 4:50 AM
Wow, that's great. Some commitment to downtown Halifax from the provincial government.

Yes, it's actually *okay* for a Provincial Government to locate agencies, departments, and related jobs, in the capital.

In fact, it's both efficient and much more cost effective, especially when civil servants have a right to refuse a move, and do so in droves.

Great to see a change from Dexter's anti-Halifax pandering; ie, moving provincial departments and jobs out of town.

(I realize Energy and Justice were already somewhere else downtown. But still. :) )

I agree that "capital city" is the proper place for government agencies and their offices, but the fact that the employees involved in Dexters (ill advised) move were allowed to refuse moving to new locations speaks volumes about how entitled and overpowered the gov. employees union is.

Any other job and you'd be out on your ass.

When are we going to get these gov. unions under control, eliminate half those positions and start lowering my taxes!!!!:hell:

Sorry for the Kieth like rant, but that's one thing that grinds my gears here in this over taxed, over managed province.

RyeJay
Nov 6, 2013, 2:53 PM

Dexter's choice to fulfill past broken promises made by the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives over the last few decades to relocate provincial jobs to other municipalities pissed me off too.

Even though I supported the NDP more than the other parties, I've always been adamantly against Dexter's decision to decentralise jobs that should be located in the capital city.

counterfactual
Nov 6, 2013, 7:48 PM
Dexter's choice to fulfill past broken promises made by the Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives over the last few decades to relocate provincial jobs to other municipalities pissed me off too.

Even though I supported the NDP more than the other parties, I've always been adamantly against Dexter's decision to decentralise jobs that should be located in the capital city.

Dexter and the NDP were desperate for rural votes, they over compensated, and adopted anti-Halifax policies. He gutted university funding, year over year, dragged his feet on important legislative changes to city charter (probably at the behest of NDP heritage folks), moved government jobs out of town, etc.

This is why Dexter/NDP support in the last election collapsed in Halifax. HRM used to be Fortress NDP, electorally, not so anymore.

The Liberals are looking to make permanent in roads, which is a smart move as eventually you'll be able to form government in the province with Halifax alone (Halifax is growing, while population dwindling elsewhere).

ILoveHalifax
Nov 6, 2013, 9:14 PM
In spite of all our problems here in Nova Scotia, Halifax is a success story. Relatively good employment figures, wages, growth, etc. If Halifax were not doing as well as it is this province would be much worse off.
It is important that any government make every effort to encourage Halifax.

Drybrain
Nov 6, 2013, 9:50 PM
In spite of all our problems here in Nova Scotia, Halifax is a success story. Relatively good employment figures, wages, growth, etc. If Halifax were not doing as well as it is this province would be much worse off.
It is important that any government make every effort to encourage Halifax.

I just had a long Twitter conversation with a guy convinced that Halifax is a pit of economic ruin and a terrible place to be a job seeker. he was not convinced by my arguments to the contrary, even when I pointed out that the unemployment and labour-market participation rate was better than any of the country's biggest cities, median incomes are higher, etc.

There seems to be a deep thread of incorrigible pessimism that some people simply refuse to shake, imagining that if they moved to TO/Van they'd be rolling in job offers and money. Facts and perception are often deeply out of sync.

Anyway, I hope you're right, but McNeil has made a big fuss about being the premier who understands rural Nova Scotia, etc.--which is important, but let's hope he understands how important it is to foster the Maritimes' most important urban centre as well.

ILoveHalifax
Nov 6, 2013, 11:48 PM
I just had a long Twitter conversation with a guy convinced that Halifax is a pit of economic ruin and a terrible place to be a job seeker. he was not convinced by my arguments to the contrary, even when I pointed out that the unemployment and labour-market participation rate was better than any of the country's biggest cities, median incomes are higher, etc.

There seems to be a deep thread of incorrigible pessimism that some people simply refuse to shake, imagining that if they moved to TO/Van they'd be rolling in job offers and money. Facts and perception are often deeply out of sync.

Anyway, I hope you're right, but McNeil has made a big fuss about being the premier who understands rural Nova Scotia, etc.--which is important, but let's hope he understands how important it is to foster the Maritimes' most important urban centre as well.

I don't believe it has to be one or the other.
If McNeil understands rural NS hopefully he will work hard to make things work in rural NS.
He can also understand more than one thing and I hope he has a great understanding of our city.
If we all work together we could compliment each other.

Drybrain
Nov 6, 2013, 11:54 PM
I don't believe it has to be one or the other.
If McNeil understands rural NS hopefully he will work hard to make things work in rural NS.
He can also understand more than one thing and I hope he has a great understanding of our city.
If we all work together we could compliment each other.

I don't think it has to be one or the other either--ideally both regions thrive and complement one another. I'm just worried that politicians find it easier to pander by pitting region against region, instead of working for everyone.

Too early to make a judgement on McNeil though. Optimism.

counterfactual
Nov 7, 2013, 2:23 AM
I don't think it has to be one or the other either--ideally both regions thrive and complement one another. I'm just worried that politicians find it easier to pander by pitting region against region, instead of working for everyone.

Too early to make a judgement on McNeil though. Optimism.

I think the difference, is that unlike the NDP, the Liberals have considerable strength outside HRM.

Why that makes a difference, is that Dexter/NDP were so desperate to develop a base outside HRM, that they IMHO, threw Halifax under the bus to pander to voters outside the city.

The Liberals, on the other hand, will want to cement their gains in Halifax. That means, more attention to Halifax issues.

IanWatson
Nov 7, 2013, 4:44 PM

I wonder if this perception has anything to do with the fact that Halifax has a very high proportion of university students. I have zero data to back this hypothesis up, but could it be that Halifax does have a shortage in jobs available to people with a post-secondary degree and no experience? Any city can only absorb so many entry-level workers per year no matter what the field of study. Since we have so many universities in relation to population, perhaps we're just creating too many new graduates for this region to support; some of them will have to move away to get a few years of experience. I don't have any opinion on whether this is a good or a bad thing, but maybe it's an explanation for the pessimism despite an overall good job climate here.

Drybrain
Nov 7, 2013, 4:52 PM
I wonder if this perception has anything to do with the fact that Halifax has a very high proportion of university students. I have zero data to back this hypothesis up, but could it be that Halifax does have a shortage in jobs available to people with a post-secondary degree and no experience? Any city can only absorb so many entry-level workers per year no matter what the field of study. Since we have so many universities in relation to population, perhaps we're just creating too many new graduates for this region to support; some of them will have to move away to get a few years of experience. I don't have any opinion on whether this is a good or a bad thing, but maybe it's an explanation for the pessimism despite an overall good job climate here.

Maybe, that's interesting. But I think it's more culturally ingrained than that (I say this as a non-native Bluenoser, so maybe I have no place in making character judgements...) It's a province with a long history of goin' down the road, so I think there's almost a disbelief that it may not be necessary.

I wonder how many university students in Halifax are local? I always figured most were from out of province or out of country, in which case it makes sense that most would treat Hali as a college town and go back home after graduation. We don't need to retain all of those--just a strong fraction.

Jonovision
Nov 7, 2013, 4:59 PM
The Dalhousie Student Union redesign has been released.

It won't let me link the renderings. But its all on the gazettes page. http://dalgazette.com/featured/sub-to-receive-10-million-renovation/

ns_kid
Nov 7, 2013, 6:21 PM

Yours is a thought-provoking post, and speaks to a continuing aggravation of mine. Many have accepted the myth that the region is an economic basket case, that there are no jobs, and that the city is unsafe. The reality is far different. Halifax persistently has one of the lowest unemployment rates of any eastern Canadian city, one of the best-educated workforces and one of the lowest crime rates. Of course it doesn't help when we have self-serving politicans who publicly proclaim that our economy is on a par with that of bankrupt Greece. Or by journalists, like the intrepid Mr. Bousquet, who insist that we uppity Nova Scotians should know our place and happily accept our lot as cooperative fishmongers. These notions feed a culture of defeat (yes, I'm appropriating King Steve's unfortunate turn-of-phrase) that we need to be much more aggressive in countering.

Drybrain
Nov 7, 2013, 6:30 PM
Yours is a thought-provoking post, and speaks to a continuing aggravation of mine. Many have accepted the myth that the region is an economic basket case, that there are no jobs, and that the city is unsafe. The reality is far different. Halifax persistently has one of the lowest unemployment rates of any eastern Canadian city, one of the best-educated workforces and one of the lowest crime rates. Of course it doesn't help when we have self-serving politicans who publicly proclaim that our economy is on a par with that of bankrupt Greece. Or by journalists, like the intrepid Mr. Bousquet, who insist that we uppity Nova Scotians should know our place and happily accept our lot as cooperative fishmongers. These notions feed a culture of defeat (yes, I'm appropriating King Steve's unfortunate turn-of-phrase) that we need to be much more aggressive in countering.

Ding ding ding ding. This.

Some people seem to refuse any suggestion that things are not in an irreversible downward spiral, which makes me wonder how they even get through the day. Good employment figures in HRM? Useless government jobs. Annual crime decreases? All the young criminal-age people are moving away. Etc.

There's a vocal strain of folks who will simply not brook any positivity, and unfortunately, that's fed by the media--like the Chronicle Herald reporting on a dozen "layoffs" at a local KFCs. There's a nervous economy-watching here that pounces on even the slightest of bad news.

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 7, 2013, 8:28 PM
Ding ding ding ding. This.

Some people seem to refuse any suggestion that things are not in an irreversible downward spiral, which makes me wonder how they even get through the day. Good employment figures in HRM? Useless government jobs. Annual crime decreases? All the young criminal-age people are moving away. Etc.

There's a vocal strain of folks who will simply not brook any positivity, and unfortunately, that's fed by the media--like the Chronicle Herald reporting on a dozen "layoffs" at a local KFCs. There's a nervous economy-watching here that pounces on even the slightest of bad news.

This is a classic case of the vocal few appearing to speak for the masses. I've lived here all my life and can't really say I know anybody who thinks in these exaggerated negative terms.

But, you get one self-appointed expert proclaiming it on Twitter or Frank Magazine or whatever, and it appears to the unknowing that there is an overwhelming feeling of Nova Scotia being a "culture of defeat". Frankly, I don't see it, but maybe I just travel in the "wrong" circles...

Drybrain
Nov 7, 2013, 8:43 PM
This is a classic case of the vocal few appearing to speak for the masses. I've lived here all my life and can't really say I know anybody who thinks in these exaggerated negative terms.

But, you get one self-appointed expert proclaiming it on Twitter or Frank Magazine or whatever, and it appears to the unknowing that there is an overwhelming feeling of Nova Scotia being a "culture of defeat". Frankly, I don't see it, but maybe I just travel in the "wrong" circles...

It's something I notice largely in the media as compared with other places...and expats. I know a girl in Toronto who grew up in Cole Harbour and was fond of repeating to any and all listeners that anyone with any ambition has to leave NS.

I do think it's a minority, but they sure get airtime.

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 7, 2013, 8:49 PM
It's something I notice largely in the media as compared with other places...and expats. I know a girl in Toronto who grew up in Cole Harbour and was fond of repeating to any and all listeners that anyone with any ambition has to leave NS.

I do think it's a minority, but they sure get airtime.

It's sad, but keep in mind that each province has their negative stereotypes held by people of other provinces. I try not to put too much weight on inaccurate negative opinions portrayed by the "media" or otherwise either.

The girl you know from CH is simply showing her ignorance rather than stating "fact".

someone123
Nov 7, 2013, 9:07 PM
It's really noticeable when you go from NS to another province. A given level of prosperity tends to be described much more negatively in NS than elsewhere.

Sometimes the overly rosy outlook of other places comes off as naïve and folksy to me ("another Wal-Mart! Look out New York!"), but the NS negativity is bad too. I think a lot of people from other places have unrealistically low impressions of the province because of this, for example. People not used to the negativity think they're getting normal feedback but that the place is just awful.

Antigonish
Nov 7, 2013, 9:17 PM
It's really noticeable when you go from NS to another province. A given level of prosperity tends to be described much more negatively in NS than elsewhere.

Sometimes the overly rosy outlook of other places comes off as naïve and folksy to me ("another Wal-Mart! Look out New York!"), but the NS negativity is bad too. I think a lot of people from other places have unrealistically low impressions of the province because of this, for example. People not used to the negativity think they're getting normal feedback but that the place is just awful.

I hear it a lot out here in Alberta. Despite how pessimistic I may come across as, sometimes I try and set the record straight and let people know there are opportunities in Nova Scotia. It's simply a matter of how hard will you work and how patient will you be to finally get something?

I'll admit I took the easy way out and moved to where the money was. Don't regret it though.

Drybrain
Nov 7, 2013, 9:39 PM
I might add that the aforementioned girl from Cole Harbour left an okay job in Halifax to skip from precarious gig to gig in Toronto, eventually landing a crappy full-time job she was subsequently laid off from. So: perception counts for a lot, even in the fact of reality.

Hali87
Nov 7, 2013, 10:45 PM
I have zero data to back this hypothesis up, but could it be that Halifax does have a shortage in jobs available to people with a post-secondary degree and no experience?

I think this is a big part of it. Employers here seem to be looking for experience, though I'm not sure how common that is elsewhere. I would guess that it's quite competitive for entry-level jobs given the high number of graduates being churned out each year. There are lots of students from Ontario, but I think the majority of university/NSCC students are from NS, though I could be wrong.

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 7, 2013, 11:08 PM

I guess when I travel to other parts of the country the only people I talk to from NS are those with whom I'm traveling. I work with people from all over the world, so tend not to feel so centralized I suppose.

The people that I associate with who are from here tend to be fairly positive, strong-willed and resilient people, and those with whom I have contact with on a daily basis seem pretty upbeat and positive as well (i.e. retail staff, restaurant staff, delivery people, truck drivers, law enforcement officers, farmers, winemakers, etc. basically everybody with a few exceptions). I also often hear from tourists how impressed they are with the friendliness, courtesy and kindness that they are met with when they visit here... again, belying the negative impression of bluenosers that is being focused on here.

Perhaps if I were to visit the oil fields I might have a different impression? Not sure, but is that what I'm picking up here?

Ah well... regardless on how it's perceived, there is a lot of prosperity here and I find it a completely enjoyable place in which to live. I've been offered jobs in other parts of the world but remain here by choice.

I have noticed that many people from western provinces appear to have a negative view of Martimers, so perhaps that of which you speak is the origin of this negativity. Not sure, but I don't put much value in it regardless.

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 7, 2013, 11:16 PM
I think this is a big part of it. Employers here seem to be looking for experience, though I'm not sure how common that is elsewhere. I would guess that it's quite competitive for entry-level jobs given the high number of graduates being churned out each year. There are lots of students from Ontario, but I think the majority of university/NSCC students are from NS, though I could be wrong.

That is my impression as well. There are great universities all over the country, so I don't think there is a great need for students to travel to NS to attend university when they have good choices closer to home.

I believe there are quite a few students from other countries attending NS universities, but have no stats to back it up.

Regarding the situation of unemployed graduates, there was a show aired on the CBC recently which covered this phenomenon, but they were focusing a lot on students from the west. I believe this is country-wide, though, in that companies don't want to invest in training entry-level employees only to have their investment move off to another company once this experience is attained. This has to end somewhere, though, as obviously it will become an extremely dysfunctional system if graduates are not able to gain actual workplace experience... it's easy to see where it will end. :2cents:

someone123
Nov 8, 2013, 2:28 AM
Dalhousie used to be, and may still be, over 50% out of province students. In the Vancouver area, even undergrad admissions at the major universities is fairly competitive and some people like to go away to study so it is easy to understand where the demand comes from.

The question of where to live is very personal and subjective. Some people may not have good prospects in NS but others do. Some people value living in NS highly and others don't. The fact is that there will always be somewhere better to make a dollar, and there will always be young people who want to get out and see more of the world.

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 8, 2013, 7:05 AM
Dalhousie used to be, and may still be, over 50% out of province students. In the Vancouver area, even undergrad admissions at the major universities is fairly competitive and some people like to go away to study so it is easy to understand where the demand comes from.

How far back does that go? When I went there over 20 years ago, most everybody I knew (in the engineering program at least) were from somewhere in NS. The others were from out of country, but very few from another Canadian province. Of course, that is only my own experience. Perhaps the arts drew more out of province students.

I'm surprised that with the increased cost of university today that there would be so many students who could afford to attend university out of province, unless they are from well-to-do families. Again, just my 2 cents, but no stats to back it up. Where did you source your information?

ScovaNotian
Nov 8, 2013, 11:39 AM
56% of first year students are either from out of province or international ( http://www.dal.ca/news/2013/10/31/18-500-and-counting.html ). Science has a much larger share of out of province students than Engineering.

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 8, 2013, 1:00 PM
56% of first year students are either from out of province or international ( http://www.dal.ca/news/2013/10/31/18-500-and-counting.html ). Science has a much larger share of out of province students than Engineering.

Thanks for that! :tup:

NS82
Nov 8, 2013, 7:40 PM
Any idea what's going in where the old blockbuster strip mall was on the corner of Queen / Green St.?

counterfactual
Nov 9, 2013, 3:10 AM

That is my impression as well. There are great universities all over the country, so I don't think there is a great need for students to travel to NS to attend university when they have good choices closer to home.

I believe there are quite a few students from other countries attending NS universities, but have no stats to back it up.

Regarding the situation of unemployed graduates, there was a show aired on the CBC recently which covered this phenomenon, but they were focusing a lot on students from the west. I believe this is country-wide, though, in that companies don't want to invest in training entry-level employees only to have their investment move off to another company once this experience is attained. This has to end somewhere, though, as obviously it will become an extremely dysfunctional system if graduates are not able to gain actual workplace experience... it's easy to see where it will end. :2cents:

I think both of you are onto it.

Drybrain is quite right that things here are certainly not as bad as people let on; median income is among the highest among urban centers in Canada. Also, we have some of the lowest unemployment rates among bigger cities nationally.

That said, Nova Scotia, and Halifax most acutely, does a HORRIBLE job at hiring and thus retaining in province young, highly skilled and educated graduates, but who have little experience.

This little statistic cited by the Mayor recently, says it all:

“In Halifax, 97 per cent of our labour force growth between 2006 and 2012 was in people over the age of 45,” he said. “These are critical times for attracting and retaining young people.”

Source: http://www.ns.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/Provincial-News/2013-11-07/article-3470567/NS%3A-Mayor-Mike-Savage-gets-standing-ovation-for-anniversary-speech/1

97% of the labour force growth were people over 45?!!? NINETY SEVEN PERCENT. I mean, that is just absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Particularly when we just check ol' StatsCan and learn that people between the ages of 18 and 44 make up FORTY PERCENT of Halifax's total population: 119775 of 298,000.

Source: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=POPC&Code1=0348&Geo2=PR&Code2=12&Data=Count&SearchText=Halifax&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=12&B1=All&Custom=&TABID=1

So the fact that 40% of the city's population (ppl aged 18-44) is only benefiting from *3%* of the new labour growth over the last 6 years is just scandalous.

I mean, that actually looks like some serious systemic age discrimination going on.

The numbers are so telling, that both the public AND private sector are a problem. Why? I don't know.

Boomers working in both government and in business are too fucking lazy to try to hire and train new graduates?

At any rate, the Mayor clearly gets it. But does our new Premier? The Provincial Government should lead the way, and really pressure the public service to really ramp up hiring young people. No more of this bullshit "5-10 years of experience" for basic entry level public service jobs. Once the public sector makes improvements, then perhaps businesses will follow suit.

Halifax needs some fricken affirmative action for young people. I'm serious.

Enforced quotas. Hiring more young people and radically increasing immigration (ie attracting new Canadians) are the way for this city to prosper going forward.

Seriously though, 40% of the population getting 3% of the new jobs! WTF?!

</rant>

ns_kid
Nov 9, 2013, 11:55 AM
Halifax council on Tuesday will consider a proposal to peddle naming rights for the Metro Centre, for an estimated half million dollars a year. The rationale is that it will help pay for a needed $6 million upgrade to the 35-year old arena, including $1 million for washroom improvements, $1.2 million to replace the ice slab, $2 million for a new clock, and $2.3 million to replace the seating.

There's no doubt the washrooms in this building are a disgrace and the seating is worn out, though I have a fear that there will be an inevitable attempt to cram in more seats by reducing their size. The unfortunate reality is that the Metro Centre has significant deficiencies that $6 million will not fix. The pitch of the stadium risers is more modest than in comparable newer buildings, making for poor sightlines, and the mezzanine and concession areas are far too narrow. Then there was the cynical decision to install skyboxes to cater to corporate clients, in the process destroying views from the higher cheap seats.

As for the naming rights themselves, I can't say I'm a big fan of slapping sometimes awkward corporate names on publicly owned buildings. Like the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre in Victoria, which must be where old groceries go to die, or the Canadian Tire Centre in Ottawa, which sounds like a great place to have your oil changed. Of course, the name is prone to change every few years, as in Ottawa where the orginally-named Palladium is now on its third corporate identity. The report to council seems to assume a beer or liquor company is the most likely candidate. Anheuser-Busch InBev Labatt's Alexander Keith Arena anyone? But I guess I'm resigned to the need for more private sector money to keep these buildings going. That's almost certainly the only way the city will build a new football/track stadium.

The council report follows:

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/131112ca1112.pdf

ns_kid
Nov 9, 2013, 12:56 PM
I can't say I'm a big fan of slapping sometimes awkward corporate names on publicly owned buildings. (...) The report to council seems to assume a beer or liquor company is the most likely candidate.

Halifax Metro Centre, re-imagined:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3754/10757845303_60e06a4361_b.jpg

counterfactual
Nov 9, 2013, 4:22 PM

Excerpted from the latest draft of the Regional Plan? :haha:

Haligonian88
Nov 9, 2013, 6:49 PM

Think of the children!!! Seeing that name on the building will turn them all into alcoholics! :cheers:

MeEtc
Nov 16, 2013, 12:20 AM
Can't find a thread for this project quite yet, but Southport Halifax (http://southporthalifax.com) (1057 Barrington) had its sales office open last night. The existing warehouse at 1065 Barrington has been renovated for the office and a model suite. The bottom 3 floors will be managed by Killam for rentals, and the top 3 are run by Urban Capital and presently being pitched for sale as condos. Ground floor retail, separate entrance for rental and condo spaces, 1 level of underground parking, shared access gym, rooftop terrace. There's a model of the building on display at the sales office, didn't get a chance to take any photos when I was there. Was told that construction is estimated to begin about this time next year.

fenwick16
Nov 16, 2013, 3:26 AM
Can't find a thread for this project quite yet, but Southport Halifax (http://southporthalifax.com) (1057 Barrington) had its sales office open last night. The existing warehouse at 1065 Barrington has been renovated for the office and a model suite. The bottom 3 floors will be managed by Killam for rentals, and the top 3 are run by Urban Capital and presently being pitched for sale as condos. Ground floor retail, separate entrance for rental and condo spaces, 1 level of underground parking, shared access gym, rooftop terrace. There's a model of the building on display at the sales office, didn't get a chance to take any photos when I was there. Was told that construction is estimated to begin about this time next year.

There doesn't appear to be a thread for the Southport yet. The floorplans (http://southporthalifax.com/Floorplans.php) show that most are small to medium size; hopefully the rents and condo prices will be reasonable.

MeEtc
Nov 16, 2013, 1:06 PM
There doesn't appear to be a thread for the Southport yet. The floorplans (http://southporthalifax.com/Floorplans.php) show that most are small to medium size; hopefully the rents and condo prices will be reasonable.
The condos at least are very expensive, smallest is starting around $240k right now. A parking space is separate.

gohaligo
Nov 16, 2013, 7:19 PM
Southport had a sales event today. It was kinda Torontoesque style in, form and hype. It seems like half of the units available as condos sold or are committed for. It shows that condos will sell in Halifax if marketed properly.

coolmillion
Nov 17, 2013, 2:18 AM
Two small updates:

The Robie Food site at the corner of Robie and Young has a new building under construction. It looks to have the same footprint as the former restaurant. Maybe retail? Still in the early stages so hard to tell what's taking shape.

A bunch of houses on Robie and North, neighbours of the veterinarian, have for sale signs. Might be a long way off, but redevelopment is likely on the horizon.

scooby074
Nov 17, 2013, 3:24 AM
I thought Robie Food was going to be developed into some sort of "Money Mart" or similar?

someone123
Nov 17, 2013, 3:33 AM
Southport had a sales event today. It was kinda Torontoesque style in, form and hype. It seems like half of the units available as condos sold or are committed for. It shows that condos will sell in Halifax if marketed properly.

Reminds me of the time-honoured tradition in Halifax of trying to sell something half-baked, failing, and then blaming the failure on the city instead of taking responsibility for having created something inappropriate for the market.

gohaligo
Nov 17, 2013, 12:08 PM
Reminds me of the time-honoured tradition in Halifax of trying to sell something half-baked, failing, and then blaming the failure on the city instead of taking responsibility for having created something inappropriate for the market.

QLofts seems to be in that situation now. After weeks (months actually) of marketing, they seem to have had very little traction on the sales side.

HalifaxRetales
Nov 17, 2013, 4:55 PM
I thought Robie Food was going to be developed into some sort of "Money Mart" or similar?

Yup

Keith P.
Nov 17, 2013, 5:08 PM
QLofts seems to be in that situation now. After weeks (months actually) of marketing, they seem to have had very little traction on the sales side.

The QLofts units seem strangely designed, the renderings of the exterior look unattractive, and they are quite pricey. I don't want to spend $450K to live in what looks like a hallway.

fenwick16
Nov 19, 2013, 3:28 AM

According to a story in the allnovascotia.com, 80% of the condo units in the Southport have been pre-sold (1/2 of the units are condo units). Prices range from $204,000 for 500 square feet to $399,000 for 700 square feet.

I think this building has units in a price range that are affordable to many, and the building is in a good location.

RyeJay
Nov 19, 2013, 3:27 PM
According to a story in the allnovascotia.com, 80% of the condo units in the Southport have been pre-sold (1/2 of the units are condo units). Prices range from $204,000 for 500 square feet to $399,000 for 700 square feet.

I think this building has units in a price range that are affordable to many, and the building is in a good location.

I think this is great, and welcome much more of it!

Of course I support high-end developments with condos ranging around and over a million dollars. If the market can support it, then build. But: most of the market isn't within this spectrum of wealth.

Instead of middle-class earners and lower-income people supporting the expansion of the suburbs because residential is far too costly on much of the peninsula (especially the downtown), I hope to see more residential projects geared toward this more affordable price range so we can diversify the level of income earners on the peninsula, where there exist jobs of various salaries and wages.

How influenced by foreign investment is Halifax?
I often wonder the impact investors from outside of Canada are having on the real estate markets in Canada's largest cities. I haven't often considered the effect on small cities.

JET
Nov 19, 2013, 4:11 PM

"in a price range that are affordable to many"

my wife and I have been working for 30 years, and have fairly good jobs; we could not afford one of the lower priced units. It's all perspective, I guess

RyeJay
Nov 19, 2013, 4:20 PM

my wife and I have been working for 30 years, and have fairly good jobs; we could not afford one of the lower priced units. It's all perspective, I guess

I cannot afford these condos either. Compared to what's been built in the downtown lately, though, they are cheaper.

Drybrain
Nov 19, 2013, 4:35 PM

I couldn't afford it either, at this point in my life, but $204,000 is definitely not an especially pricey condo. The average cost of a Halifax condo is $214,000; nationwide it's $246,000. (In certain cities it approaches half a million).

The prices to me seem entirely reasonable, and it's the kind of middle-class housing needed in the core.

Antigonish
Nov 19, 2013, 4:37 PM

$400,000 for 700 Sq Feet? Get the fuck out of here! The cost of living in this country is ridiculous. :yuck:

Dmajackson
Nov 19, 2013, 9:27 PM
Case 18848 - Brunswick Street Development

"An Open House will be held on Wednesday, Dec. 4th from 7-9 pm in the Lobby of the Plaza building, 1881 Brunswick Street. The public is encouraged to attend and ask questions about the Site Plan Application. The comment period will close on Dec. 19th."

http://www.brunswickstreetredevelopment.ca/

fenwick16
Nov 19, 2013, 10:18 PM
$400,000 for 700 Sq Feet? ...

That one seemed to be on the high side.

teddifax
Nov 19, 2013, 10:29 PM

"An Open House will be held on Wednesday, Dec. 4th from 7-9 pm in the Lobby of the Plaza building, 1881 Brunswick Street. The public is encouraged to attend and ask questions about the Site Plan Application. The comment period will close on Dec. 19th."

This will make a fantastic and good change to Brunswick St. It will go extremely well with the new hotels and apartment building across the street.

resetcbu1
Nov 19, 2013, 10:38 PM

You'd be better off buying side by side units and knocking the walls down, lol .:koko:

Living in Calgary I find that pricey and I just moved from a garrison green condo 700 sq.ft valued at 225 000 and tht is a high end inner city neighbourhood to bankview roughly the same and 10min walk to 17Ave , Calgary's version of SGR.

counterfactual
Nov 20, 2013, 5:01 AM

These changes are great.

resetcbu1
Nov 20, 2013, 5:54 AM
Not very encouraging news but news none the less....

Landlords fight for renters in Halifax's apartment glut
Average rent is still expected to climb

New apartments are popping up in Bedford, but landlords say there aren't enough people to fill them, so they’re relying on creative tactics to compete for renters.

Killam Properties landlord Jeremy Jackson recently opened a new apartment building in Bedford. It has a full-sized gym and an in-house movie theatre, but he says it’s tough to attract renters.

Full story on cbc http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/landlords-fight-for-renters-in-halifax-s-apartment-glut-1.2431769

counterfactual
Nov 20, 2013, 7:27 AM
Not very encouraging news but news none the less....

Full story on cbc http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/landlords-fight-for-renters-in-halifax-s-apartment-glut-1.2431769

Yeah, because it's Bedford.

xanaxanax
Nov 20, 2013, 8:18 PM
I'm new to this group and would like to have a conversation about turning over the Royal Artillery land over to public use for some sort of development, its over 5 acres or 250,000 of feet² in the heart of downtown that isn't accessible to the public. The military takes up too much land on the peninsula and I think this one is ridiculousness. I thought I heard rumors in the past about it abandoned by the military.

Personally I feel like it would be the ideal spot for a observation tower to overlook the city and harbour but its also a large enough area of land to host a aquarium, Stadium or a potential for the new AGNS

macgregor
Nov 20, 2013, 9:01 PM
I'm new to this group and would like to have a conversation about turning over the Royal Artillery land over to public use for some sort of development, its over 5 acres or 250,000 of feet² in the heart of downtown that isn't accessible to the public. The military takes up too much land on the peninsula and I think this one is ridiculousness. I thought I heard rumors in the past about it abandoned by the military.

Personally I feel like it would be the ideal spot for a observation tower to overlook the city and harbour but its also a large enough area of land to host a aquarium, Stadium or a potential for the new AGNS

It would be nice to straighten out Queen street / Birmingham Street / Artillery Place mess. It's not pedestrian friendly or even automobile friendly at all.

xanaxanax
Nov 20, 2013, 10:14 PM
http://s8.postimg.org/ouibcds1x/aquarium.jpg

This is what I would have in mind for a aquarium in this area 120,000 feet² comparable in size to the new Toronto aquarium, just my own fantasy for the area that will probably never happen. The parking lot and surroundings area park would make for a nice spot for picnics

Nifta
Nov 20, 2013, 11:16 PM
I find it's a nice compliment to the Citadel fort. It adds to the military feel to see the guns there. Making it public-access would be cool though.

I really want an aquarium too in Halifax. Perhaps somewhere on the boardwalk would be better though? I remember the plans for the new Discovery Centre seemed to have an aquatic/sea-life section in the internal renderings I saw. Fingers crossed.

MeEtc
Nov 20, 2013, 11:35 PM

Also note that these are interior only sizes. Many of the units also come with a 100+ sq ft balcony

IanWatson
Nov 21, 2013, 1:13 AM
its also a large enough area of land to host a aquarium

Someone really needs to explain to me this desire to have an aquarium in Halifax. Don't get me wrong, I love aquariums. Visiting the Boston aquarium is a very fond memory. But do we really foresee Halifax being able to support an aquarium that's worth going to more than once? I'm not being cynical and defeatist about Halifax, I'm just trying to look at this rationally. Of all the needs for public investment in Halifax, is an aquarium a top priority?

Nifta
Nov 21, 2013, 3:21 AM
Someone really needs to explain to me this desire to have an aquarium in Halifax. Don't get me wrong, I love aquariums. Visiting the Boston aquarium is a very fond memory. But do we really foresee Halifax being able to support an aquarium that's worth going to more than once? I'm not being cynical and defeatist about Halifax, I'm just trying to look at this rationally. Of all the needs for public investment in Halifax, is an aquarium a top priority?

Top priority? No.
Cool to have? Absolutely yes!

As with most Aquariums, this would be primarily an educational facility and a tourist attraction. We're a maritime (lower case M) city. The majority of the Canadian population don't live anywhere near to the coast. Those visiting Halifax look to gain a maritime experience. It's an experience that sits squarely with the Museum of the Atlantic that we already have.

I have a toddler daughter. Most Saturday mornings I take her to the Natural History Museum, the Discovery Centre or Maritime Museum. Week after week, she still loves them all. Even a modest aquarium, I know she'd be blown away.
Where can our kids get close up to some fish in this province?

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 21, 2013, 4:54 PM
I agree that it would be a great addition to Halifax. A lot of cities have zoos, well, an aquarium is just another version of a zoo for seafaring creatures, which would be a fitting focus for a coastal city such as Halifax.

I see a dual purpose as both a tourist attraction and an educational/research facility for locals. As a bonus, an aquarium would allow our children to appreciate sea life for more than what we see on our dinnerplate, and thus encourages an enlightened view of our oceans and the associated environmental struggles within (you can't put a price on that).

Last time I was in Monterey, I had to go to to the aquarium 2 days in a row as I couldn't get enough of it. If we could have anything close to this in Halifax I think it would be an attraction that people would come for miles to see. :2cents:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/

RyeJay
Nov 21, 2013, 6:42 PM
I agree that it would be a great addition to Halifax. A lot of cities have zoos, well, an aquarium is just another version of a zoo for seafaring creatures, which would be a fitting focus for a coastal city such as Halifax.

I would say, only if the exhibited seafaring animals were native to the Halifax region. If not, then we run the risk of investing in an aquarium that basically looks like a glorified pet store.

Schools of Cardinal Tetras and Angelfish Cichlids would look nice in a 5,000+gallon aquarium -- but, not enough to encourage frequent visitations from the public, unless this was part of another attraction... like a mall?

I'm not even sure what people mean when they propose an " aquarium". Are we talking sharks?...Seals?...

Do we want a focus on tropical sea animals?

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 21, 2013, 7:49 PM
I would say, only if the exhibited seafaring animals were native to the Halifax region.

Absolutely that's what I'm referring to, but not just the Halifax region (i.e. harbour and surroundings) but including the general the north Atlantic area, as far south as Georges Bank and as far north as the Davis Strait. Also the St. Lawrence Seaway should be included IMHO.

Perhaps my zoo analogy was a little misleading as zoos tend to feature non-native species as a drawing point. I should have used the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park as an example but I thought most out-of-provincers would not know what I was talking about.

http://wildlifepark.novascotia.ca/index.html

Species of sea (and lake, for that matter) life native to east coast Canada would be interesting and educational for all, IMHO, as most of us never get to see it in our day-to-day lives.

Exotic "bling" animals would just cheapen the value, IMHO.

Ziobrop
Nov 21, 2013, 8:12 PM
Where can our kids get close up to some fish in this province?

fisheries museum in Lunenburg has tanks with examples of local species.

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 21, 2013, 8:53 PM

Yeah, that's actually a very good museum. I always enjoy my visits there. :tup:

Nifta
Nov 21, 2013, 11:30 PM

I didn't know that. Is it it a good place to visit? Will have to check it out next time we're in the area. Thanks!

Ziobrop
Nov 22, 2013, 1:42 PM
I didn't know that. Is it it a good place to visit? Will have to check it out next time we're in the area. Thanks!

Its Worth a visit.

IanWatson
Nov 22, 2013, 5:21 PM
I guess I'm coming around to the idea of an aquarium.

Which got me thinking... a lot of the really cool institutions (and public spaces) in the world's major cities were originally founded or bequeathed by private individuals. As far as I can see, this civic philanthropy (outside of hospital wings and university buildings) just doesn't seem to happen anymore. Is it just not sexy to donate to a city's civic realm? Have medical charities stolen the lion's share of dollars? Has inflation in the cost of starting the next Smithsonian far outstripped the ability of wealthy individuals to pay for it? Have views about the role of government (i.e. "it's their job to pay for all of these things") changed?

Empire
Nov 22, 2013, 5:23 PM

I see a dual purpose as both a tourist attraction and an educational/research facility for locals. As a bonus, an aquarium would allow our children to appreciate sea life for more than what we see on our dinnerplate, and thus encourages an enlightened view of our oceans and the associated environmental struggles within (you can't put a price on that).

Last time I was in Monterey, I had to go to to the aquarium 2 days in a row as I couldn't get enough of it. If we could have anything close to this in Halifax I think it would be an attraction that people would come for miles to see. :2cents:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/

Exactly! The reason there is no aquarium in Halifax is the same reason we lack many amenities that you would expect for a city our size....COMPLACENCY! Halifax in many ways represents the entire region so you would expect more amenities than a city of similar size near larger population centres.

An aquarium seems to be an obvious piece of infrastructure for a maritime city........... but not in Halifax. Who would go? Who would pay for it? Where could we put it? ............COMPLACENCY! It is unlikely that we will have a normal aquarium in the near future so the most likely scenario is to construct a state of the art aquarium / research facility at BIO. To start, it should be similar to the Lunenburg fish tank with native species etc.

Expansion could be phased in after that. Funding would come largely from the Feds as they would see the logic in having an aquatic research, training, learning (school trips) and tourist centre in a costal city that represents a such vast region.

Drybrain
Nov 22, 2013, 11:24 PM
Exactly! The reason there is no aquarium in Halifax is the same reason we lack many amenities that you would expect for a city our size....COMPLACENCY! Halifax in many ways represents the entire region so you would expect more amenities than a city of similar size near larger population centres.

Not to be contrary, but you don't find Halifax actually has way MORE amenities than you would expect for a city of its size? Certainly few cities of 400,000 have anything like the AGNS, for example, and none in Canada.

Let alone attractions like the Citadel, Pier 21, Discovery Centre, Maritime Museum, Keith Brewery, Seaport Market, and so on. Not to say there isn't a "good-enough" mentality noticeable here and there, but I wouldn't call out the city as under-performing in its weight class--if anything, the opposite.

ILoveHalifax
Nov 22, 2013, 11:52 PM
S t a d i u m

scooby074
Nov 23, 2013, 12:08 AM
Yes... the one thing Halifax desperately needs to waste money on is an aquarium to house their own version of Shamu.:koko:

Aquariums, particularly ones that will draw tourists are very expensive endeavors, both to build and maintain.

There are so many things that will benefit the greater good of both the city and the province far above an aquarium.

Things like some form of commuter rail and a stadium for two examples.

That said, perhaps a small aquarium featuring local species could be tacked onto an existing facility, like maybe the Museum of the Atlantic or even better, stick it in that underused tourist building by "The Wave" sculpture. Maybe then the bathrooms will be clean and not look filthy and smell like a hobo's armpit. They are thoroughly disgusting and an awful image for tourists who use them.

counterfactual
Nov 23, 2013, 2:05 AM
Not to be contrary, but you don't find Halifax actually has way MORE amenities than you would expect for a city of its size? Certainly few cities of 400,000 have anything like the AGNS, for example, and none in Canada.

Let alone attractions like the Citadel, Pier 21, Discovery Centre, Maritime Museum, Keith Brewery, Seaport Market, and so on. Not to say there isn't a "good-enough" mentality noticeable here and there, but I wouldn't call out the city as under-performing in its weight class--if anything, the opposite.

I wouldn't say Halifax is underperforming on amenities, but would say it is seriously underperforming on other key urban matters: downtown investment, proper planning (ie dealing with sprawl + promoting density), public transit investment, supporting local arts.

Dmajackson
Dec 5, 2013, 6:29 AM
Nicholas Fudge Architect has a rendering up for a small redevelopment on Queen Street. For some reason it won't let me show it on this site;

http://nicholasfudge.com/projects/q-u-e-e-n-s-t-r-e-e-t-l-o-f-t-s-intern-architect-halifax/

Google Streetview (https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax+architects&ie=UTF-8&ei=HxqgUpTcJMmLiALd3oCQCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAjgU)

counterfactual
Dec 5, 2013, 11:09 PM
Does anyone have any information about the former HMV space on Spring Garden Road?

Any rumours about possible interest? Anything in the ANS?

As I've said before, it seems crazy to me that prime street-level space on the busiest street east of Montreal cannot find a tenant for that space.

So why is this space still empty? What is the problem? Is management *that* incompetent? No proper contacts?

Why is it that Dartmouth Crossing is able to land major retail tenants left and right, but Spring Garden Road is empty now for almost a year.

It would be the perfect moment to land an important/major "anchor" tenant for that space. Some major retail player, that will literally bring people to Spring Garden / downtown area, to shop.

I'm thinking Apple, H&M, Urban Outfitters. Ideally, something that is not located elsewhere in a mall. Now that Microsoft.

And yet, the space is still vacant. Is it time that the Downtown Business Commission step in to help out? Someone needs to make some calls (maybe the Mayor?) to bring in a big client.

It's ridiculous to have this space empty for Christmas.

xanaxanax
Dec 6, 2013, 12:16 AM
Does anyone have any information about the former HMV space on Spring Garden Road?

Any rumours about possible interest? Anything in the ANS?

As I've said before, it seems crazy to me that prime street-level space on the busiest street east of Montreal cannot find a tenant for that space.

So why is this space still empty? What is the problem? Is management *that* incompetent? No proper contacts?

Why is it that Dartmouth Crossing is able to land major retail tenants left and right, but Spring Garden Road is empty now for almost a year.

It would be the perfect moment to land an important/major "anchor" tenant for that space. Some major retail player, that will literally bring people to Spring Garden / downtown area, to shop.

I'm thinking Apple, H&M, Urban Outfitters. Ideally, something that is not located elsewhere in a mall. Now that Microsoft.

And yet, the space is still vacant. Is it time that the Downtown Business Commission step in to help out? Someone needs to make some calls (maybe the Mayor?) to bring in a big client.

It's ridiculous to have this space empty for Christmas.

For starters the old HMV space on Spring Garden needs to be modified into two levels and its the most paramount thing needed for that spot to be successful for a retailer and no one is going to move into that spot till that happens. The current layout is a huge waste of potential space and they are asking too much to rent it out. Coras was going to go into the space but they backed out, they had a coras sign up for months but now its gone

IanWatson
Dec 6, 2013, 4:01 AM
Maybe they have redevelopment plans and don't want to get tied into a lease?

counterfactual
Dec 6, 2013, 5:47 AM
For starters the old HMV space on Spring Garden needs to be modified into two levels and its the most paramount thing needed for that spot to be successful for a retailer and no one is going to move into that spot till that happens. The current layout is a huge waste of potential space and they are asking too much to rent it out. Coras was going to go into the space but they backed out, they had a coras sign up for months but now its gone

Geez, thank G-d Cora's didn't move in there.

What a waste of prime real estate. Seriously.

I agree on the two-part thing. I feel like the landlords are to blame here. They're probably being super cheap and super lazy (ie not actually doing stuff with the place to make it nicer to attract new high end tenants) while, on the other hand, probably charging a mint.

Idiocy that they have not fixed up the space over the course of this year.

HalifaxRetales
Dec 6, 2013, 12:27 PM
SGR has the 6th highest streetfront lease rates in Canada
1) Bloor Street West, Toronto: $315/sq ft
2) Robson Street, Vancouver: $200/sq ft
2) (tie) Ste Catherine Street, Montreal: $200/sq ft
4) Alberni Street, Vancouver: $150/sq ft
5) Granville Street, Vancouver: $125/sq ft
6) Spring Garden Road, Halifax: $65/sq ft
6) (tie) 17th Avenue S.W., Calgary: $65/sq ft
8) 4th St. S.W., Calgary: $60/sq ft
9) Greene Avenue, Montreal: $60/sq ft
10) Rue de la Montagne, Montreal: $60/sq ft

counterfactual
Dec 7, 2013, 8:49 AM
SGR has the 6th highest streetfront lease rates in Canada
1) Bloor Street West, Toronto: $315/sq ft
2) Robson Street, Vancouver: $200/sq ft
2) (tie) Ste Catherine Street, Montreal: $200/sq ft
4) Alberni Street, Vancouver: $150/sq ft
5) Granville Street, Vancouver: $125/sq ft
6) Spring Garden Road, Halifax: $65/sq ft
6) (tie) 17th Avenue S.W., Calgary: $65/sq ft
8) 4th St. S.W., Calgary: $60/sq ft
9) Greene Avenue, Montreal: $60/sq ft
10) Rue de la Montagne, Montreal: $60/sq ft

That is fucking ludicrous. No wonder they can't get anyone in there. Greedy idiotic landlords. As usual, they're happier with an empty storefront, than spending some money to fix up the place or lowering rent to land a big, long term tenant. :yuck:

Hali87
Dec 10, 2013, 8:51 PM
Is it gonna be like this forever?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7363/11312237485_23f6c795d5_z.jpg

I was blown away when I saw this place yesterday. Guess where?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3791/11312279986_1f77e6711b_z.jpg

Admittedly it would look better if they discouraged sandwich boards, but maybe they haven't had a chance to work on signage yet.

A bit of Keith Hall was exposed from under the scaffolding yesterday, I couldn't get a picture but it was looking pretty good.

haligonia
Dec 10, 2013, 9:18 PM
^Is that Barrington Place?

Hali87
Dec 10, 2013, 9:42 PM
^Is that Barrington Place?

Wow, you're good!