PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

someone123
May 11, 2009, 8:01 PM
I think terrible, directionless planning has made it even somewhat worse than it otherwise would have been. More local residents would be good but a lot of city policies have also resulted in property owners holding back on renovations for years. Promising public investment and then not following through is worse than doing nothing at all.

Barrington south
May 11, 2009, 8:48 PM
yes, your definitely right....also, amalgamation is surly not to blame, but it seems with HRM the health of Barrington is an afterthought in comparison to remote community's......this disparity has been mentioned many times....the core versus more rural communities, but it just seems, that downtown barrington is very low on the list of priorities....I also think Barrington would benefit from a business association with the unity, organisation and power of the SGR business association...I have criticised Bernie (forget his last name...the prezident of the assosiation) for not wanting to make bold improvement in the past, but there is no doubt he has overseen a highly successful street, and although that is not all because of him, I do admire how he stands and speaks for the street, and it's vitality, even if I don't always agree with his vision.....and in comparison with the main stretch, the south end of barringthon has seen small yet significant improvement in the 6 years I have been here....there are no vacant buildings, and several business that where of not of the highest standard, have moved out and been replaced with reputal operations, at this end of the street, I have great hope for the future, especially with all the proposals for this end town....i just hope this is the low water mark for the important pat of Barrington

Takeo
May 11, 2009, 8:53 PM
Ya... they were a clothing store. They haven't sold gear in years. Best place for gear is still Kannon of course... but I have to say... If Only has a beautiful shop! Too bad about Barrington. Ya.

not sure if it has been mentioned before, if it has, my bad....but Frozen Ocean, the surf and surf apparel shop on Barrington is now apearantly out of business....the building is completely empty, and I don't just mean empty shelves and racks....it's basically gutted....so sad...but I guess IF Only took a massive chunk of their business.....IF Only is in every way a superior surf shop, especially for actually surf gear, not just bikini's and Billabong t-shirts....man, as soon as I saw this, I immidietly thought to my self, what Someone123 said is true, Barrington st. is starting to look like the main street of a dying Midwestern city, where all the business has migrated to the boonies....it's very depressing....man, downtown seriously needs many more people living there

Barrington south
May 11, 2009, 9:25 PM
They haven't sold gear in years. .

Ohhh really, I haven't been in there since 04 ....shows what a diminished role surfing has been playing in my life ...I only really care about surfing if I'm in a tropical location and the weather is fine....so I'm not hardcore at all.....while on the topic of surfing though....my sister just opened up a surfers backpackers hostel, literally on Lawrencetown beach, in a beautiful 5 year old house, I have stayed in many backpackers in my youth, and I have to say this is a very high quality, new and clean hostel with beautiful views and access, and is not at all over crowded.....it is also Nova Scotia's only backpackers on the ocean.... so if by some long shot ever know a surfer or anyone else that wants to stay at L-town, for very cheap... this is definitely the place....there are also some private rooms available...it's called Lawrencetown Beach House...it just opened on may 1 so it is still expanding and adding new features like a giant patio with BBQ and a great big table so everyone can munch and then chill and drink the night away after a long day of surfing

Nilan8888
May 11, 2009, 10:06 PM
Barrington st. is starting to look like the main street of a dying Midwestern city, where all the business has migrated to the boonies....it's very depressing....man, downtown seriously needs many more people living there

lol... the difference between Barrington street and a dying Midwestern city is that those cities have good reason for the appearance of thier streets... because they're dying!

Halifax doesn't really have that excuse. Or if it did it doesn't any more. The economic situation is far better than it was in the 70s and 80s, and yet... the street looks worse? In the 60s and 70s people moved out of thier downtowns for the suburbs because of the fear of high crime... and hey look, I know those swarmings were bad, but... come on.

(Seriously though, that was seriously a major annoyance. I hope those brats have ceased and desisted by now)

spaustin
May 12, 2009, 2:19 AM
For all the money HRM has devoted to the core, the message is "who cares if Barrington Street is full of deserted storefronts and decaying buildings. As long as there is a several million dollar rec centre for every couple 100 people out in the boonies then we're doing just fine" :koko:

Barrington south
May 13, 2009, 2:50 PM
from what I've heard, what used to be the food court in the historic properties, has been taken over by the fellow who owns O'carrols....he is turning it into a brew pub....called....rose and thistle....or something close to that....he is using all the brewing equipment from the old John Shippy's operation....he is going to run O'carrols and the Rose simultaneously, until the waterside development kicks them out, and then the Rose will be all on it's own.....great more competition...time to step up my game at the HH

Jonovision
May 13, 2009, 3:29 PM
I think that place is suppose to be open fairly soon. I've walked through there and they have certainly been doing a fair amount of work. Still can't see it though.

On another note, in the tabling of the budget last night at council. I noticed they have allocated a good sum of money to prepare detailed designs for the new central library.

Barrington south
May 13, 2009, 4:24 PM
^ another nice find JONO

someone123
May 13, 2009, 7:25 PM
Funding might come through from one of the federal "stimulus spending" programs.

Seems like the library might actually happen in a somewhat timely manner now..?

Barrington south
May 13, 2009, 7:47 PM
I think it was Kieth that said he hopes Mackay-Lyons designs the library....i hope so to....that would be sweet

Jonovision
May 13, 2009, 10:33 PM
It would be nice if we could actually get some bold european type modern building in this city. It would go far to elevate the discussion about design. Lots would love it and probably lots would hate it. But it would stimulate non the less and get people talking about what matters.

Maybe something along these lines:

Seattle
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/3366780929_dfa743c7a7.jpg
Surrealize

Peckham
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1226/688247570_537d988c80.jpg
sunstarr

Maastricht
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/172/393404204_27f2ed78c2.jpg
butch499100

Copenhagen
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/24723858_d3ea11161e.jpg
Johanna Nelson

Minsk
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2952366677_de2658381c.jpg
Vadiroma

Alexandria
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2268/2521689123_2d9c6ace93.jpg
Jenny Mackness

All photos from Flickr

someone123
May 13, 2009, 10:45 PM
I think I had suggested Brian MacKay-Lyons. He designs modern looking buildings but they usually have a comfortable scale that works really well in Halifax. In a way, they are very conservative buildings and on some level I think that's what would be best for the city.

I've been inside the Seattle library and it is very interesting but it wouldn't work very well in Halifax. It was also a very expensive building constructed with large donations from MS people.

Dmajackson
May 14, 2009, 7:53 PM
Improvements will raise profile of popular Dartmouth lake
Halifax News Net

By Lindsay Jones – The Weekly News
Upgrades worth $3.25-million are underway now to get Lake Banook ready to be on the world stage this summer.
The 2009 ICF Sprint Canoe World Championships, set to take place August 12 to 16, is the largest ever international sporting event held in Atlantic Canada.
Peter Bigelow, general manager of HRM parks and recreation, said the work will raise the profile of Lake Banook, considered to be one of the best natural race courses in the world.
“You’re going to see it become more of a centre for canoe and kayaking than it already is,” Bigelow said. “Our facilities were a bit old. Upgrading them is going to go a long way to make sure those athletes are well-cared for, and that we continue to be seen as a success on the international stage.”
Seventy-five countries are participating in the event which will be televised on every continent and is expected to be watched by millions.
Improvements to the one-kilometre race course include installing 10 kilometres of new wire underwater to hold the lanes in place, and an elaborate, new $300,000 hydraulic starting system.
Notices recently went out to residents around the lake to advise them of the work to Birch Grove Park and Lions Beach Parks and beaches, and Graham’s Grove Park which will be closed until July 24.
Birch Grove Park Beach, where athletes will congregate on race day, is getting new retaining walls and public docks.
Lions Beach is also getting a new public dock and a new structure to retain sand.
The improvements also include connecting pathways around the lake, except in places where there is private property.
“There will be some inconvenience,” Bigelow said. “We’ve got a deadline and a timeline. A lot of people walk around there so we’ll try to make sure people can continue to walk.”
At Turtle Grove, the site of the finish line, a new elite training centre is under construction. A new public announcement system will be installed and the grounds and pathways re-landscaped.
The parking lot off Prince Albert Road will be repaved and the area developed for spectators.
Access to construction sites will be prohibited. The city is advising the public that construction crews and heavy equipment will be in the area Mondays to Fridays during working hours.
Bigelow said the city contributed $2.6 million for the improvements and the province chipped in $650,000.
lindsayleejones@gmail.com

sdm
May 14, 2009, 10:35 PM
It would be nice if we could actually get some bold european type modern building in this city. It would go far to elevate the discussion about design. Lots would love it and probably lots would hate it. But it would stimulate non the less and get people talking about what matters.

Maybe something along these lines:

Seattle
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/3366780929_dfa743c7a7.jpg
Surrealize

Peckham
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1226/688247570_537d988c80.jpg
sunstarr

Maastricht
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/172/393404204_27f2ed78c2.jpg
butch499100

Copenhagen
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/24723858_d3ea11161e.jpg
Johanna Nelson

Minsk
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2952366677_de2658381c.jpg
Vadiroma

Alexandria
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2268/2521689123_2d9c6ace93.jpg
Jenny Mackness

All photos from Flickr

Maastricht would be as bold as i believe this city would get.

rocketphish
May 15, 2009, 10:31 PM
Some more ideas:

The American Institute of Architects recently announced the eight recipients for the 2009 AIA/ALA Library Building Awards (http://www.otto-otto.com/2009/03/2009-aiaala-library-building-awards/)

someone123
May 15, 2009, 10:39 PM
Interesting buildings. For a library in Halifax I'd like to see a large indoor atrium space (Chongqing example, though lots of new libraries have that) along with some sheltered outdoor space. Hopefully it would have an inviting pedestrian scale and come up fairly close to the corner. Monumental architecture and exposed outdoor plazas don't work very well in Halifax.

hfx_chris
May 16, 2009, 11:03 PM
Improvements will raise profile of popular Dartmouth lake
Halifax News Net

By Lindsay Jones – The Weekly News
Upgrades worth $3.25-million are underway now to get Lake Banook ready to be on the world stage this summer.
The 2009 ICF Sprint Canoe World Championships, set to take place August 12 to 16, is the largest ever international sporting event held in Atlantic Canada.
Peter Bigelow, general manager of HRM parks and recreation, said the work will raise the profile of Lake Banook, considered to be one of the best natural race courses in the world.
“You’re going to see it become more of a centre for canoe and kayaking than it already is,” Bigelow said. “Our facilities were a bit old. Upgrading them is going to go a long way to make sure those athletes are well-cared for, and that we continue to be seen as a success on the international stage.”
Seventy-five countries are participating in the event which will be televised on every continent and is expected to be watched by millions.
Improvements to the one-kilometre race course include installing 10 kilometres of new wire underwater to hold the lanes in place, and an elaborate, new $300,000 hydraulic starting system.
Notices recently went out to residents around the lake to advise them of the work to Birch Grove Park and Lions Beach Parks and beaches, and Graham’s Grove Park which will be closed until July 24.
Birch Grove Park Beach, where athletes will congregate on race day, is getting new retaining walls and public docks.
Lions Beach is also getting a new public dock and a new structure to retain sand.
The improvements also include connecting pathways around the lake, except in places where there is private property.
“There will be some inconvenience,” Bigelow said. “We’ve got a deadline and a timeline. A lot of people walk around there so we’ll try to make sure people can continue to walk.”
At Turtle Grove, the site of the finish line, a new elite training centre is under construction. A new public announcement system will be installed and the grounds and pathways re-landscaped.
The parking lot off Prince Albert Road will be repaved and the area developed for spectators.
Access to construction sites will be prohibited. The city is advising the public that construction crews and heavy equipment will be in the area Mondays to Fridays during working hours.
Bigelow said the city contributed $2.6 million for the improvements and the province chipped in $650,000.
lindsayleejones@gmail.com

Good stuff. Wasn't there a plan once for some updates to the Lake Banook and Sullivans Pond areas, including all new landscaping and spectators stands across Prince Albert? I seem to recall looking at it in awe, too bad they couldn't fully implement it...

Regarding the library stuff, was it mentioned in here yet that Woodlawn library is moving to the old Empire Theatres building?

phrenic
May 17, 2009, 1:04 PM
Maastricht would be as bold as i believe this city would get.

Copenhagen, maybe. But $10 says it would be shot down by objections saying it looks like the Borg's Cube.

worldlyhaligonian
May 17, 2009, 4:52 PM
Copenhagen, maybe. But $10 says it would be shot down by objections saying it looks like the Borg's Cube.

Or some kind of pot shot at another city (Dubai, Toronto, and New York have already been insulted to date)

Keith P.
May 17, 2009, 7:40 PM
Or some kind of pot shot at another city (Dubai, Toronto, and New York have already been insulted to date)

I think there was an Atlanta insult in there too somewhere.

Dmajackson
May 20, 2009, 11:17 AM
Emergency treatment
New QEII centre opening in June expected to offer improvements for patients, staff
By PAT LEE Staff Reporter
Wed. May 20 - 5:47 AM

It’s shiny and new and you hope you never have to go there.

But on June 23, the new 31,000-square-foot emergency department at the Queen Elizabeth Health Sciences Centre in Halifax will open its doors to patients and hopefully make what for most people is a traumatic event a little less traumatic.

And if the team in charge of the new emergency department and trauma centre achieve what they’re aiming for, you’ll be seeing them for a lot less time.

"It’s quite scary, but very exciting," Dr. Sam Campbell, chief of emergency medicine at the hospital complex, said Tuesday during a tour of the department, still under construction at the Halifax Infirmary.

The emergency department and trauma centre will be named at a ceremony today.

"The opportunity to (improve the department) in one big swoop is rare," Dr. Campbell said. "But this isn’t our department. It belongs to the community."

He said the new wing at the hospital will also give staff a chance to do their best for patients.

"We really are trying to make it a better workplace because we know if the workers are happy, they’ll be better at what they do, which affects patients. That’s what I’m most excited about."

Dr. Campbell and Sandra Janes, the department’s health services director, are co-leading the team bringing the new emergency room to life.

Emergency departments have notorious reputations as places where patients wait for hours for medical attention, something the pair said the complex is now working hard to correct and they’re confident big improvements will be seen when the $21-million wing opens.

Dr. Campbell predicts that 90 per cent of patients who require emergency room care will have been either discharged or admitted to hospital within six hours.

Ms. Janes said the hospital can’t eliminate waiting, but staff are making changes to streamline the process.

"Waiting is always going to be an issue, but we’re trying to use the wait times better. We’ll try to connect more with people and let them know what’s happening while they wait."

Walk-in patients will use the same entrance as now, but they’ll find a larger and more comfortable waiting area.

After an initial triage assessment, staff will have options of where to send people through the system, depending on their needs and the severity of their medical issues.

For example, those who show up with psychiatric issues will now have their own waiting, assessment and treatment areas. Similar care now provided at the Nova Scotia Hospital in Dartmouth will soon be phased out.

Dr. Campbell said along with determining who is sickest, staff will decide sooner what kind of treatment a person needs and get the ball rolling sooner.

"What are you going to need in your care? Are you going to need a bed, are you going to need X-rays, are you going to need tests or are you going to need a consultation? That will all be determined when you arrive."

He said staff will also be managing patients more wisely by keeping people who don’t need to be in beds out of them, so they’re freed up for those who are more seriously injured or ill.

"What emergency departments have evolved into is earlier assessments, and (being) less bed-centric and more chair-centric," Dr. Campbell said.

The hospital will also be using paramedics to do more procedures like giving stitches or putting on bandages.

The new department will be broken into three areas, starting with patient assessments, then resuscitation, followed by an area for more critical care from nurses and doctors.

Those who arrive by ambulance will be taken into trauma rooms from a rear hallway, a short distance from where the ambulances pull up to the medical centre.

There are also two new large private rooms for family members.

Ms. Janes and Dr. Campbell said the centre’s team honed the procedures and planned for months. It will run a mock drill on June 10 to see how well they’ve done.

"The space itself is more comfortable and it’s bigger, but that’s not going to mean anything if we don’t change our processes," Ms. Janes said. "That’s what we’ve really been focusing on."

The ceremonial opening today caused a bit of a political kerfuffle last week when it became known that Premier Rodney MacDonald would be on hand to do the honours, causing his political opponents to accuse him of using the event as an electioneering stunt.

( plee@herald.ca)

Empire
May 20, 2009, 12:29 PM
It's great to have the new emerg. space. It's too bad an opportunity may have been wasted to build another wing in the hospital. Does anyone know if the columns/foundation were sized to handle an addition on top in the future?

geotech
May 20, 2009, 3:42 PM
That was the intent. an extra 6 stories or so.

Empire
May 20, 2009, 4:06 PM
That was the intent. an extra 6 stories or so.

Great planning.

miesh111
May 20, 2009, 5:25 PM
It will be called "The Cedar's of Lebanon Trauma Centre" as a number of prominent Lebanese families have donated a combined total of $300,000. People such as Wadih Fares, The Ramia Family, and I think another 10 have given $25,000 each to this cause.

Waye Mason
May 20, 2009, 5:53 PM
It will be called "The Cedar's of Lebanon Trauma Centre" as a number of prominent Lebanese families have donated a combined total of $300,000. People such as Wadih Fares, The Ramia Family, and I think another 10 have given $25,000 each to this cause.

This is wonderful.

Dmajackson
May 20, 2009, 7:16 PM
Here's a tidbit of the updated article. I cut out the political crap;

Premier opens new Halifax ER unit
MacDonald unveils new emergency and trauma centre more than a month before it's open to patients
By AMY SMITH Provincial Reporter
Wed. May 20 - 12:20 PM

Premier Rodney MacDonald unveiled Wednesday the new $20.4 million Charles V. Keating Emergency and Trauma Centre at Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre in Halifax.

The centre, which is slated to open to patients on June 24, will have more ambulance bays, better infectious disease control, a mental health suite, heightened security and X-ray and diagnostic equipment

Barrington south
May 21, 2009, 7:26 PM
not sure what's going on, but the Khyber building on Barrington is covered in scaffolding

hfx_chris
May 21, 2009, 9:35 PM
not sure what's going on, but the Khyber building on Barrington is covered in scaffolding
Wasn't it mentioned they want to clean up the facade? Or maybe it was install new windows... or maybe both.

Keith P.
May 22, 2009, 9:57 AM
Too bad... those 3 buildings/shells really keep that block from being anything. I keep hoping someone will get on a Cat D-7 late some night and bulldoze them into oblivion. What a terrible mistake it was to require the facades of the 2 adjacent former buildings to be retained.

hfx_chris
May 22, 2009, 11:59 AM
You mean the one facade... only the NFB building is a facade, the rest are working buildings are they not?
Anyway, I kinda like the look of those buildings (although the NFB facade needs to go so something useful can be built), it adds something interesting to the street. I have no problem with older buildings if they look good, trouble is a lot of them look run down and tired, which cries out for either replacement or major renovations.

Jonovision
May 22, 2009, 1:12 PM
Dartmouth faces last chance to develop big-box housing

By ROGER TAYLOR Business Reporter
Fri. May 22 - 6:37 AM

BELIEVE it or not, the Dartmouth Crossing retail development may represent the last opportunity for significant residential development in Dartmouth.

That’s according to Glenn Munro, managing partner for Eastern Canada for North American Development Group. The developer of Dartmouth Crossing was recently given approval by the Harbour East community council to proceed with a medium- to high-density residential component to the retail shopping area.

Ever since the Department of National Defence decided not to sell off a large portion of CFB Shearwater, Munro says, it has put a crimp in Clayton Developments’ plan to create a residential project that would link its Colby Village, Portland Estates and Russell Lake subdivisions.

In a recent phone conversation from his Montreal office, Munro told me the residential plan for Dartmouth Crossing was put in because of the growing desire by people to work and play within a stone’s throw of where they live.

He predicts that the majority of the people who will be living in Dartmouth Crossing will also work there or in nearby Burnside Business Park.

Although critics of the plan complain it may lead to an increase in the amount of traffic in that part of the city, providing a convenient place for people to live, work and play may actually cut down on traffic in the long run.

However, during the short term, as development of Dartmouth Crossing and Burnside progresses, I have noticed from personal experience that traffic on the Circumferential Highway, which carries most people to Burnside and Dartmouth Crossing, is becoming increasingly congested.

This may be the result of the success of Dartmouth Crossing, or it could be a sign that fewer people choose to use Metro Transit to get around the city. It may also signal that steps will have to be taken to either widen the highway to accommodate more traffic or make significant improvements to the bus system.

Meanwhile, huge mounds of earth are piling up in the parking lot at Penhorn Mall, not far from Dartmouth Crossing.

Having lost Wal-Mart as one of its major anchors to the rival development down the road a couple of years ago, Penhorn’s owners, Empire Co. Ltd. subsidiary ECL Developments Ltd., have been putting the old mall through a makeover.

The company tried to sell the 16-hectare site, but ECL couldn’t find a buyer willing to pay what the company thought it was worth.

So, a brand new Sobeys store was built on the site where the Wal-Mart once stood. With the grocery store now open, construction has started on a new strip mall, which may become home to many of the current tenants in the enclosed Penhorn Mall. The plan includes the construction of several stand-alone buildings, which may include restaurants, located closer to the Portland Street side of the development.

There are also plans for improvements to the current Metro Transit terminal at Penhorn.

Once the first phase of the Penhorn redevelopment is completed, the back end of the property will open up to new possibilities. In fact, it is expected that ECL will put several apartment buildings on about eight hectares of land overlooking Penhorn Lake.

I guess that would make Penhorn one of the last places for residential development in Dartmouth.

That is, until someone else comes up with a plan for redevelopment in another part of the city.

( rtaylor@herald.ca)

hfx_chris
May 22, 2009, 2:28 PM
As soon as I read that absurd opening statement, I stopped reading. Talk about fear mongering.

DigitalNinja
May 23, 2009, 3:02 AM
Just a quick update.

I walked down the board walk today, construction is going well on both of the new sections. And the section down by the old power plant is almost completed, they just need to put up the tiny railing thing on the inside.

Also, they have started to tear down parts of the outside of the power station.

planarchy
May 23, 2009, 4:04 PM
Luxury conversion planned for Fenwick
Marilyn Smulders - Metro News Halifax
23 May 2009 10:59

5599 Fenwick Street is about to become an address of downtown luxury.

Templeton Properties has purchased the Dalhousie student residence with plans to fulfill architect Sydney P. Dumaresq’s original vision for Halifax’s highest building. The agreement of purchase and sale has been finalized, and Templeton will take possession on June 15.

“It was designed to be a luxury, high-end building and that’s our vision too,” says Joe Metlege, VP of operations for Templeton Properties, a Halifax-based developer and property management company.

That vision was unrealized back in 1970 when Kenney Construction of Yarmouth declared bankruptcy in the midst of building the 33-storey apartment building. A year later, Dalhousie bought the unfinished tower to provide single and married students an alternative to traditional dorm-style residences.

Last year, Dalhousie decided to sell the building because of mounting costs to update aging building systems; at the time, Jeff Lamb, assistant vice-president, Facilities Management, said the university would rather invest in buildings on campus.

Despite the extensive renovations it needs, Metlege says Fenwick Place is a coveted property because of its size and location, location, location.

“You’d be hard pressed to find a building of that size in Halifax, let alone in south-end Halifax,” he said.

Templeton is now offering Fenwick’s 252 units for rent. Monthly rents range from $700 for bachelor apartments to $1,200 for two-bedroom, fully furnished units.

Students had their leases expire at the end of April, and were given the option of extending their leases until June 14. Even after that date, it is expected some students will continue as tenants with Templeton.

Dalhousie itself will sign five-year leases for departments situated on Fenwick’s promenade level, including the Schools of Human Communications Disorders and Health Administration and the Faculty of Medicine's Learning Resource Centre.

Templeton Properties plans to do a complete facelift of the exterior, making it “softer” and “more modern,” while repairing and retrofitting mechanical and structural systems inside.

"We’re pleased to see this process come to a favorable conclusion for all involved. Fenwick Place has a long and storied history in the development of Dalhousie University and we’re pleased to see the building get a new life with Templeton,” says Ken Burt, Dalhousie Vice President, Finance.

Aya_Akai
May 24, 2009, 1:26 AM
Templeton Properties plans to do a complete facelift of the exterior, making it “softer” and “more modern,” while repairing and retrofitting mechanical and structural systems inside.

I'd just now like to know when that is going to happen... lol

Barrington south
May 24, 2009, 5:40 PM
and I would like to know when they are going to reopen the pool....I can't wait to go for a dip...;)

miesh111
May 25, 2009, 6:14 PM
As much ridicule this is getting, if you think about how much Dalhousie had this listed for, and then how much needs to go in to make it livable and luxury, It seems still worth while. You can't build in Downtown Halifax for less than $200,000 a door, land included, and Templeton, by my math, with a $10 million renovation, will still be paying under $100,000.

Makes sense to me, even though it's fun to make fun of.

Dmajackson
May 28, 2009, 7:38 PM
For any Pinky's fans out there;

Pinky's Ice Cream is opening a new location on Cronwallis Street near the Armoury this year. Its expected to open on July 18th and in addition to ice cream it will sell donairs and pizzas. :)

PPP and Sir Sanford Flemming Park open on June 1st, LeBrun September 1st, and the main Bedford one (the busiest apparently) opens June 1st.

Jstaleness
May 28, 2009, 9:59 PM
I hope they will have the Birthday Cake Flavor again.

sdm
May 29, 2009, 1:05 AM
As much ridicule this is getting, if you think about how much Dalhousie had this listed for, and then how much needs to go in to make it livable and luxury, It seems still worth while. You can't build in Downtown Halifax for less than $200,000 a door, land included, and Templeton, by my math, with a $10 million renovation, will still be paying under $100,000.

Makes sense to me, even though it's fun to make fun of.

considering the closing price, using the above they would be over 100k a unit, but still cheaper then 200k. Now, 10 million on 252 units won't go very if they are to bring it up quality standards of many of the newer buildings out there.

The scary thing in any of these reno projects is the fact that as soon as you start major changes to the building you are required to bring them up to todays building codes.

Barrington south
May 29, 2009, 8:44 PM
what was the closing price SDM?....just curios.....

hfx_chris
May 29, 2009, 8:56 PM
Good stuff. Wasn't there a plan once for some updates to the Lake Banook and Sullivans Pond areas, including all new landscaping and spectators stands across Prince Albert? I seem to recall looking at it in awe, too bad they couldn't fully implement it...

Found it:
http://www.halifax.ca/RealPropertyPlanning/SPLBMP/index.html

Jonovision
May 29, 2009, 10:16 PM
There was another Tim Bousquet article in the coast this week.

Gottingen Street Housing
Tim Bousqueet

There are three housing developments in the works along Gottingen Street. The first is a horrendous looking apartment complex going up at the corner of Falkland (Hello! Street level parking garage?!), the second the more-promising Theatre Lofts project just to the north.
But the third is the most interesting on the street. Gottingen Terrace is the fourth and final project of the Creighton/Gerrish Development Association, a decade-old organization formed to build high-quality affordable housing in the north end.
The project consists of 48 residential units - split between one-, two-, and three-bedroom units- tobe built on the former Sobeys site across from the library. Architectural drawings depict a well-designed complex comfortably arranged, and there's already buzz in the neighbourhood.
Creighton/Gerrish is targeting long=term residents of the area as prospective buyers, as well as those with work and family connections in the north end. And these are exceptionally affordable-ranging from about $129,000 for the one-bedroom units to about $198,000 for the three-bedroom units. Monthly payments could be as low as $647, affordable to a family with total income of just $33,000 a year.
- The obvious worry is that people would buy these condos to flip them, but Creighton/Gerrish has addressed that concern by collecting all their costs and time, and well as the increase in property value over the last 10 years, as a second mortgage to be held by the provincial affordable housing program. Residents could sell units, but they'd have to first pay off the second mortgage.
Grant Wanzell, president of Creighton/Gerrish, says he expects that property values in the area won't take very .long to exceed the collected price of the first and second mortgage, and so residents will realize a long-term equity gain, but won't have incentive to flip their properties quickly.
Wanzell also has interesting things to say about gentrification in the area- he's not concerned about it, noting that there's much social housing that isn't going anywhere. The new upscale residents, he says, "only add to the mix. That's a good thing."
You can check out Gottingen Terrace for yourself at the Creighton/Gerrish office, located at 2020 Gottingen, or call Wanzell at 789-2432.

Sounds good to me. I'm around that area a lot so as soon as I get the chance to check it out I will head up to the office to see these drawings.

someone123
May 29, 2009, 11:38 PM
Info available here - http://www.ahans.ca/Gottingen_Terrace/index.htm

sdm
May 29, 2009, 11:51 PM
what was the closing price SDM?....just curios.....

last i heard just over 18millon

sdm
May 29, 2009, 11:56 PM
Info available here - http://www.ahans.ca/Gottingen_Terrace/index.htm

like the design but wish there was a tower set back leaving these buildings as the streetscape. Got to get our density levels up in the core.

someone123
May 30, 2009, 12:30 AM
like the design but wish there was a tower set back leaving these buildings as the streetscape. Got to get our density levels up in the core.

I agree. Not necessarily something huge but a couple of 8 storey buildings set back or something similar would work well.

I feel like this project was the sort of quality of design and density that would have been good for Brunswick, although maybe people would have put up a fuss over the modern appearance. Gottingen should be a little more built up.

At any rate, this proposal's great for the area. Even if all the empty lots were filled in with just townhouses it would be a big improvement. Gottingen needs density to be safe and commercially viable.

Aya_Akai
May 30, 2009, 3:34 PM
Found it:
http://www.halifax.ca/RealPropertyPlanning/SPLBMP/index.html

Stupid failed CWG :(

worldlyhaligonian
May 30, 2009, 5:18 PM
There was another Tim Bousquet article in the coast this week.

Gottingen Street Housing
Tim Bousqueet

There are three housing developments in the works along Gottingen Street. The first is a horrendous looking apartment complex going up at the corner of Falkland (Hello! Street level parking garage?!), the second the more-promising Theatre Lofts project just to the north.
But the third is the most interesting on the street. Gottingen Terrace is the fourth and final project of the Creighton/Gerrish Development Association, a decade-old organization formed to build high-quality affordable housing in the north end.

Who is this guy to comment? And he obviously hasn't looked at the developments too hard... Theatre lofts has a parking garage at street level. All of them are pretty low quality IMO. He probably thinks 5505 is too tall, as the quality of all these developments are equally sub-par.

Dmajackson
May 30, 2009, 11:49 PM
The new mosque going up near Chebucto Road (photo by me);

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3299/3579134395_7dd2144ab3_b.jpg

Really the mosque isn't really big. It will be a landmark for the area but just for style, not height.

eastcoastal
Jun 1, 2009, 1:37 AM
Who is this guy to comment? And he obviously hasn't looked at the developments too hard... Theatre lofts has a parking garage at street level. All of them are pretty low quality IMO. He probably thinks 5505 is too tall, as the quality of all these developments are equally sub-par.

I like the Creighton Gerrish townhouses - think the variety of unit types in each "house" is a great way to introduce a mix of family types. i happen to think they look pretty well designed, but I like Niall Savage's work for the most part, and dig the modern styling.

The entrance to the Theatre Lofts parkade is at street level, but it's actually retail frontage at street level on Gottingen.

http://www.theatrelofts.ca/plans.html#commercial

Barrington south
Jun 2, 2009, 12:24 AM
I like the Creighton Gerrish townhouses - think the variety of unit types in each "house" is a great way to introduce a mix of family types. i happen to think they look pretty well designed, but I like Niall Savage's work for the most part, and dig the modern styling.

The entrance to the Theatre Lofts parkade is at street level, but it's actually retail frontage at street level on Gottingen.

http://www.theatrelofts.ca/plans.html#commercial

if you look at the third pic on the right hand side of the gottingen terrace site, that row of townhouses ....not sure where they are, but those house's are the some of the worst trash ever throw-en up in this city....from what I can tell ....from the pic.....so some of Creighton gerrish work's have been absolute crap in my opinion....but I do like the look of the gottingen terrace.....the way they are all a little different and the modern look....but I'll have to see them built before I can say that they are attractive though .... also the different floor plans.... bringing in a diversity of people....all good...could have been better..it's all been mentioned on here before..... like but like SDM and Someone said a couple of 6-8 story setback towers would have really been using this site in a much more wise of ways...... also I'm a huge fan of more and more retail.....but retail is useless with out the density to support it.. plus, like it has also been said before....these site's have been vacant for decades...so while their are about a million other development's I would have rather seen on this site.....I guess It's better than nothing....which is what we have now

Barrington south
Jun 3, 2009, 10:16 PM
just a small note.....scaffolding has started up the North face of gerrarld Hall and work has started on the south face which has scaffolding covering it's entire face ....anyone know what this is going to look like?.....

miesh111
Jun 4, 2009, 1:49 PM
last i heard just over 18millon

Your numbers base it on 252 units but Metlege has said that it will convert to over 300 units by the time he is done. A lot of the larger three bedrooms will be turned into 2 one bedrooms etc.

And being in the apartment renovation industry myself, 10 million can go a long way.

Also, using the $200,000 a door standard that's out there for downtown halifax, for 300 units, we're talking about $60 million of value by the time this is done so if he spends overall anything less, then he's getting a good deal.

The numbers add up, but that's not to say that it won'ttank because who really wants to live in fenwick? Well actually, I would, if it were renovated, wouldn't you? Think if the views? The prestige (of course once it's made into an A list building and looks good, you'll still see it from everywhere in town).

http://www.monoscope.com/quickimagepost/2007/10/wvs.topleftpixel.com_photos_2007_10_foggy_wip_tower_distillery_01.jpg

Also found this picture of fenwick under construction. Definetly interesting, as we'll probably see it this way again in a couple of years.

BravoZulu
Jun 4, 2009, 3:30 PM
Hey, I have noticed in the last couple of days that there are crews doing what appears to be interior demo in the old Sam the record man building on Barrington. Looks like it may be the same crew that were at the granite brewery building last month.

Anyone have any insight? Maybe getting those properties ready for development once HBD goes through.

I remeber hearing rumours that the owner was waiting for HBD to pass so that restoration incentives were available. Anyway I have to go up that way later on foot so maybe I'll poke around a little

Jonovision
Jun 4, 2009, 3:56 PM
Your picture of Fenwick is not working miesh111.

Barrington south
Jun 4, 2009, 4:54 PM
Dude, an A-list building?...I think that's a bit of a streach.....

JET
Jun 4, 2009, 5:21 PM
Metlage, is that the same family that owns the trashed student apartmnets on Chebucto Road? JET

Barrington south
Jun 4, 2009, 7:27 PM
was chatting with a prof. friend of mine from Dal, and he told me that the price paid for Fenwick .....18mil....is nearly the very same amount that Dal purchased the building for....way back in the day.....sure, 18 mil went a lot farther back then, but it sure seems like a good piece of business on Dal's behalf.....got their values worth, I'm sure

Dmajackson
Jun 5, 2009, 2:28 AM
Halifax Airfield Memorial gets a facelift
Halifax News Net
By Kim Moar – The Weekly News

The Halifax Airfield Memorial will depart Saunders Park on Chebucto Road early this summer, but is expected to land safely back at the site shortly thereafter on a new concrete base.
A tender has been issued to replace the deteriorating base the monument sits on, and to clean up and restore the surrounding site.
“The actual plane itself has remained in good shape. What needs to be replaced is the actual concrete base that it stands on,” said co-ordinator of parks for HRM Blair Blakeney.
The familiar monument is in recognition of the old Halifax Municipal Airport, which was built on the Chebucto Road site — where the Westmount subdivision now exists — in 1931.
At the time, Pan American Airways operated a route between Halifax and Boston. Civilian flights ceased with the start of the Second World War, and the field was used to house military supplies. Flight operations were moved to Shearwater.
The property was eventually turned over to the former City of Halifax.
In March 1948, a sod-turning took place for the development of the 305-unit Westmount subdivision.
Some streets in the Westmount subdivision were named after Halifax servicemen who lost their lives in the war.
Saunders Park is named after Wing Commander Donald W. Saunders, whose name was associated with development of aviation in Halifax for years, and is considered a pioneer in Canadian aviation history.
kmoar@hfxnews.ca

Dmajackson
Jun 6, 2009, 6:05 AM
Quick Question:

I was driving around Dartmouth tonight and I went from Prince Albert Rd to Main Street. Right after I joined onto Main Street I noticed some sort of demolition happening on the right-hand side.

Does anyone know what was there and what might replace it?

hoser111
Jun 6, 2009, 12:03 PM
It's the old Sobey's(they moved to the facilities vacated by Canadian Tire on Tacoma). I've heard rumour there may be a Lawton's being constructed there.

Dmajackson
Jun 6, 2009, 1:23 PM
It's the old Sobey's(they moved to the facilities vacated by Canadian Tire on Tacoma). I've heard rumour there may be a Lawton's being constructed there.

Ah okay that would make sense. :)

Its like what they did to the Empires out here in Bedford last year. Demolished the old theatre and built a Lawton's.

eastcoastal
Jun 6, 2009, 2:21 PM
if you look at the third pic on the right hand side of the gottingen terrace site, that row of townhouses ....not sure where they are, but those house's are the some of the worst trash ever throw-en up in this city....from what I can tell ....from the pic.....so some of Creighton gerrish work's have been absolute crap in my opinion....

..... also I'm a huge fan of more and more retail.....but retail is useless with out the density to support it.. plus, like it has also been said before....these site's have been vacant for decades...so while their are about a million other development's I would have rather seen on this site.....I guess It's better than nothing....which is what we have now

LOL - I guess opinions can be pretty varied. The picture that you think is a bunch of row houses, is actually transitional housing at the corner of Gottingen and Buddy Daye. I encourage you to judge it in person rather than from a photo. It's one of my favourite pieces of urban architecture built recently in this city (admittedly, that's not saying a lot!). I like the use of materials - the brick right at street. and the siding further up. I like the way that the walls end with the funky overhang. The large windows at grade are decent to... anyway, I can see how others might not like it.

Agreed about the retail - I'd say that the street has lots of space still for retail developments, and hopefully with all the new construction activity around there, it will be more attractive for retail etc.

Takeo
Jun 6, 2009, 2:57 PM
Agreed about the retail - I'd say that the street has lots of space still for retail developments, and hopefully with all the new construction activity around there, it will be more attractive for retail etc.

In an ideal world, Gottingen would be a bustling main street. But the reality is, the street already has tons of commercial/retail space and most of it is boarded up. Why build more? Sounds like financial suicide from the point of view of a developer.

Barrington south
Jun 6, 2009, 4:43 PM
LOL - I encourage you to judge it in person rather than from a photo.

I'll defiantly do that....thanks for telling me the location....pics can be very misleading....and once the weather is nice again....i'll take a stroll down....brrrrr, it's cold today....not much patio business today!!

Dmajackson
Jun 6, 2009, 10:06 PM
Just some news out of Bedford:

The Bedford Highway Bikeway Phase II is now under construction. It will include bicycle lanes from the existing Phase I lanes at Southgate Drive up to Meadowbrook Drive, Curb installation in areas, and new sidwalks around Moirs Pond.

With these new bicycle lanes and the new designation of Shore Drive as an active transportation trail there will be uninterrupted bicycle facilities from Kearney Lake Road to Fish Hatchery Park (Union Street).

Also recently the Meadowbrook Connector next to the old fire hall was repaved and while not officially open it is in good use and provides a much needed car-free path onto Shore Drive.

Barrington south
Jun 6, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hey B DJ....Still work at Pete's?

Dmajackson
Jun 6, 2009, 10:26 PM
Hey B DJ....Still work at Pete's?

?

How did you know I worked at Pete's? :sly:

But no I don't anymore. I'm looking for a new job out here.

Barrington south
Jun 6, 2009, 11:14 PM
?

hehe....cus one time when I had just joined this forum, I mentioned sunnyside mall and Pete's in particular......you said something along the lines of.....ohhhh, ya....I work there....and despite copious amount of partying, for some reason, i remembered

hfx_chris
Jun 7, 2009, 12:21 AM
?

Let us know where, we'll all get together and crash your place of employment!

Dmajackson
Jun 7, 2009, 3:03 AM
hehe....cus one time when I had just joined this forum, I mentioned sunnyside mall and Pete's in particular......you said something along the lines of.....ohhhh, ya....I work there....and despite copious amount of partying, for some reason, i remembered

Oh yah I forgot I said that before ... :P

Let us know where, we'll all get together and crash your place of employment!

:haha: Only if I get a really crappy job

Wishblade
Jun 8, 2009, 5:52 PM
The new population figures are up on statscan. I was just wondering if anybody has seen the figures for Halifax yet? If not, I'll probably just pay the fee lol.

Dmajackson
Jun 9, 2009, 12:20 AM
The Chronicle Herald (http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9012056.html)

I normally wouldn't post something like this but the fact the man had a camera in his hands kind of hit close to home especially with the passing away last month of a SSP forumer who was in a random accident while taking photos. :(

Wishblade
Jun 9, 2009, 12:53 AM
ok, I ponied up the cash and got the Halifax numbers.

2006: 384,786
2007: 388,367
2008: 394,565

looks like Moncton may not be the fastest growing per capita anymore afterall. Wasn't expecting that jump in 2008.

Dmajackson
Jun 9, 2009, 12:58 AM
^Holy crap!

I did not expect Halifax to get 6'200 more people in one year. At this rate we'll be in the 400'000s by the end of the year! :D

I wonder how many years we have until we run out of fellow Maritimers to steal :haha:

Wishblade
Jun 9, 2009, 1:03 AM
^Holy crap!

I did not expect Halifax to get 6'200 more people in one year. At this rate we'll be in the 400'000s by the end of the year! :D

I wonder how many years we have until we run out of fellow Maritimers to steal :haha:

Well, from what I read a couple of years ago, most of our population growth comes from inter provincial migration, mostly from Ontario, not intra provincial.

Dmajackson
Jun 9, 2009, 1:29 AM
Well, from what I read a couple of years ago, most of our population growth comes from inter provincial migration, mostly from Ontario, not intra provincial.

Well in that case we don't have to worry I guess. They have millions more people to steal. :)

Jonovision
Jun 9, 2009, 2:45 AM
ok, I ponied up the cash and got the Halifax numbers.

looks like Moncton may not be the fastest growing per capita anymore afterall. Wasn't expecting that jump in 2008.

Nice. Well done. Can you access the numbers for just the Peninsula?

someone123
Jun 9, 2009, 3:37 AM
I think the census tract level data is only available from the census, but I could be mistaken.

From 2001-2006, the "inner city" type areas on the peninsula gained people while the single family dwelling areas were stagnant or lost slightly (understandable as household sizes shrink). I'm guessing the same trend is continuing.

Good to see that the city is growing at a faster rate. I would expect this given how healthy the economy is. I think that the city will grow fairly rapidly in the future as it attracts more immigrants and more migrants from other parts of Canada (mostly Ontario -- declining smaller cities and relatively expensive Toronto).

Barrington south
Jun 9, 2009, 2:28 PM
numbers.

I'd defiantly say at least three quarters of the new arrivals are "new Canadians" ....I've seen massive increases in the amount of repressed women(wearing head scarves) in the last 6 months, around town

hfx_chris
Jun 9, 2009, 2:44 PM

I normally wouldn't post something like this but the fact the man had a camera in his hands kind of hit close to home especially with the passing away last month of a SSP forumer who was in a random accident while taking photos. :(

I was watching them haul the car away on the back of the wrecker. Side was banged in pretty good.

Wishblade
Jun 9, 2009, 2:58 PM
I'd defiantly say at least three quarters of the new arrivals are "new Canadians" ....I've seen massive increases in the amount of repressed women(wearing head scarves) in the last 6 months, around town

I thought it was just me lol. Your absolutely right, there have been a larger number of international immigrants recently.

Dmajackson
Jun 10, 2009, 3:26 AM

That might be a bit of an exagerration but yes I've also noticed more than usual lately.

I think some of the increase is due to an increased level of migration from the industry towns of Ontario and many Albertan-Haligonians are returning home (I know some family members who are out of jobs out West due to oil rigs shutting down).

International immigration is defenitely happening though. I know the CPA has over 80 different nationalities represented and Bedford as a whole is quite diverse. :)

terrynorthend
Jun 10, 2009, 10:18 AM

Yikes! Scary, huh? Standing on the corner minding his own buisness.
I hadn't heard that we lost a fellow SSP forumer. Was he local, Bedford DJ?

Wishblade
Jun 10, 2009, 1:51 PM
Yikes! Scary, huh? Standing on the corner minding his own buisness.
I hadn't heard that we lost a fellow SSP forumer. Was he local, Bedford DJ?

I believe he's talking about Randy Sandford, who was killed in a car accident while on a photo trip. For the record, he wasnt from the maritimes.

Barrington south
Jun 10, 2009, 2:15 PM
That might be a bit of an exagerration but yes I've also noticed more than usual lately.

I think some of the increase is due to an increased level of migration from the industry towns of Ontario and many Albertan-Haligonians are returning home (I know some family members who are out of jobs out West due to oil rigs shutting down).

International immigration is defenitely happening though. I know the CPA has over 80 different nationalities represented and Bedford as a whole is quite diverse. :)

your right, saying three quarters of new arrivals in HRM are New Canadians is an exaggeration.....

it certainly seems that way on the peninsula though.......

many young foreign nationals from east Asia (china especially)are here for University, and I know for a fact, St Mary's Pres Colin Dodds makes several personal trips a year to china trying to round up as many students as possible.......
(they pay twice the tuition, you see.)....

Colin comes to HH on a fairly regular basis, he is a very good man and I like him alot......

ohhhh but to say Bedford is quite diverse is also a bit of an exaggeration.....

if ya know what I'm sayin'...unless you're comparing it to cornerbrook of coarse.;) ...

....other than the large Lebanese community that is...

.and if term "diversity" is just a a politically correct, newer and less controversial way of saying multi-cultural......well i would say no, a vast white pop. with a sizable Lebanese pop and a few scattered random family's from other places....than you have not yet attain the well regarded diverse status.....

Dmajackson
Jun 10, 2009, 8:00 PM
ohhhh but to say Bedford is quite diverse is also a bit of an exaggeration.....

if ya know what I'm sayin'...unless you're comparing it to cornerbrook of coarse.;) ...

....other than the large Lebanese community that is...

.and if term "diversity" is just a a politically correct, newer and less controversial way of saying multi-cultural......well i would say no, a vast white pop. with a sizable Lebanese pop and a few scattered random family's from other places....than you have not yet attain the well regarded diverse status.....

:(

We're diverse. Just not as diverse as the city proper.

I'd still say 80 some odd nationalities in a school of 1200 people is pretty good. :)

Barrington south
Jun 10, 2009, 8:48 PM
:(

We're diverse. Just not as diverse as the city proper.

I'd still say 80 some odd nationalities in a school of 1200 people is pretty good. :)

yah, 80 nationalities...is pretty good

I'm sure in a couple-few years Bedford will catch up.....I think it will be a trickle down effect..

Barrington south
Jun 12, 2009, 12:20 AM
....BREAKING NEWS!!!!

For me anyway...if it has already been disscussed.....my apologies .....gonna be awesome for south end...........gonna be sweet for the south end of Barrington.....been rumored for years, and finally the wheels are in motion....

The Sir John Thompson building at 1256 Barrington...(at the corner of Harvey and Barrington) has been sold, given or transfered?....to the Canada Lands Company From Public works

Canada Lands will then sell it for redevelopment or new usage......there' a meeting happing in late June concerning the imminent sale....the parking lot behind the building has zoning that will only permit houses, but if a couple row's of townhouses go in there, and then a spanking new 6 story, condo , with well thought out commercial on ground....and it's floor it's going to be wicked for Barrington South

If it does contain commercial, and that commercial is occupied by restaurant's and café like The W suites, it going to be an interesting little area, with the combination of these two new commercial spaces across from each other, it will give the south end a little more of a main street....and hey, at least this part of Barrington is doin good....gonna be great for the HH....all those new residents living across the street are all potential customers...anyways...I'm stoked.....been dreaming about this since 2003

:whip:

sdm
Jun 12, 2009, 1:53 AM
....BREAKING NEWS!!!!

For me anyway...if it has already been disscussed.....my apologies .....gonna be awesome for south end...........gonna be sweet for the south end of Barrington.....been rumored for years, and finally the wheels are in motion....

The Sir John Thompson building at 1256 Barrington...(at the corner of Harvey and Barrington) has been sold, given or transfered?....to the Canada Lands Company From Public works

Canada Lands will then sell it for redevelopment or new usage......there' a meeting happing in late June concerning the imminent sale....the parking lot behind the building has zoning that will only permit houses, but if a couple row's of townhouses go in there, and then a spanking new 6 story, condo , with well thought out commercial on ground....and it's floor it's going to be wicked for Barrington South

If it does contain commercial, and that commercial is occupied by restaurant's and café like The W suites, it going to be an interesting little area, with the combination of these two new commercial spaces across from each other, it will give the south end a little more of a main street....and hey, at least this part of Barrington is doin good....gonna be great for the HH....all those new residents living across the street are all potential customers...anyways...I'm stoked.....been dreaming about this since 2003

:whip:

Exciting, however the building was transfered to canada lands this time last year and is on the radar for redevelopment by many companies.

kph06
Jun 12, 2009, 1:59 AM
That's exciting news, a friend of mine lives in the W suites facing it and we are always checking it out wondering when it will be sold. It's a great location. I think it was mentioned before that Dexel is one of many interested in it. If they get it they would have quite a few buildings in the area if the Vic goes up.

sdm
Jun 12, 2009, 10:29 AM
That's exciting news, a friend of mine lives in the W suites facing it and we are always checking it out wondering when it will be sold. It's a great location. I think it was mentioned before that Dexel is one of many interested in it. If they get it they would have quite a few buildings in the area if the Vic goes up.

For sure dexel is one, but the list of developers looking at the prospect is long.

Question will remain if it will remain as office or become a residential project. I know the council has been pushing for it to become low income housing, which would be a terrible decision in my opinion.

Barrington south
Jun 12, 2009, 3:20 PM

Dexel would like to convert and retrofit the existing structure for residential.....not my first choice, by a long shot.....but it's sure is better than affordable housing

Barrington south
Jun 12, 2009, 3:41 PM
I know the council has been pushing for it to become low income housing, which would be a terrible decision in my opinion.

say it ain't so!!!! that would be the worst possible scenario.....12 years ago the area around Barrington and South was a different place...( from what many people have told me about)....There was the Light house strip club a couple of blocks south on Barrington,

The westin hotel was shut down, not sure for how long, but it was years

Cornwallis Park was a major prostitute hot stop....I think the biggest one in town....
the superstore was a run down old gas station

and the area had numerous tattoo parlours.....and seemingly an abundance of second hand clothing stores

now the area has come a long way since then and most of the progress happened before I came to town...but steady improvement's have also occured since '03....and the HH has been quiet fortunate because of this

That TW*T Tim Bousque, is concerned about the north end gentrifying..apparently he enjoys the sound of gunshot's at night...well I'm concerned about the south end of Barrington taking massive steps backwards.... and after so much progress has been made.....SDM what do you think the prospect's of counsel making this affordable housing scenario come to fruition are?

Jonovision
Jun 12, 2009, 4:29 PM
Good news. Hope it doesn't go affordable though. I don't think Dexel would reuse the existing structure. They know better than that.

On another note, while I was looking up the location of this I noticed a couple of new buildings have been 3dified in google earth.

sdm
Jun 12, 2009, 4:55 PM
[B]SDM what do you think the prospect's of counsel making this affordable housing scenario come to fruition are?

District 12/ PAC already forced the changes on the parking lot to be Townhouse or R1 development. So anything is possible.

Dmajackson
Jun 13, 2009, 2:53 AM
Peggy's Cove lighthouse to get paint, repairs

By HEATHER AMOS
Fri. Jun 12 - 3:27 PM
The Peggy’s Cove lighthouse will get spruced up after all.

"We’re going to ensure that this lighthouse is put back in proper repair," Defence Minister Peter MacKay said Friday. "It’s something that Nova Scotians are very proud of and we simply have to see that it is there and in any condition that is appropriate,"

The lighthouse at Peggy’s Cove, a national icon and major Nova Scotia tourist attraction, needs repairs and a new paint job.

The repairs are the responsibility of the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans. The CBC reported on Thursday that the department did not have the estimated $25,000 in their budget to fix up the lighthouse.

Mr. MacKay read about the state of the lighthouse on Thursday morning.

"I got on the phone with Gerald Keddy (Member of Parliament for South Shore-St. Margaret’s) and we were talking about it and we simply said we cannot let this happen," said Mr. MacKay. "The Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse is an iconic symbol not just for Nova Scotia but for all of Canada."

Mr. MacKay is the minister of two departments and he said that between the two he’d find the resources to get the job done. He said he’s also looked into whether the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency could pay.

"The Innovative Communities Fund that seems to me to be an appropriate way to fund this repair."

The Harper government recently put $200 million into a Small Craft Harbours Program which is part of their Economic Action Plan for harbour repair and maintenance across Canada.

A May 4, 2009 news release put out by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, said that $12.2 million was going to projects on Nova Scotia’s South Shore.

Peggy’s Cove, was listed as one of the communities to receive funding.

"I’m not sure why it wasn’t funded through the other department and I have not spoken to (Fisheries and Oceans) Minister Shea," said Mr. MacKay.

The patchy paint had already stirred up a few Nova Scotians.

On Friday there were already groups on Facebook, a social networking website, encouraging the government to spend the money to fix up the lighthouse.

hamos@herald.ca