PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

Dmajackson
Sep 12, 2010, 4:33 AM
They oversell a lot of this as "active transportation".

Cycling in cities can be a serious way for people to get around. It's often more convenient than taking the bus and it is a good way to get physical activity, but trails are useless for cyclists unless they go to real places. Unfortunately, many of the trails in Halifax seem to be designed for recreational purposes or exist only because they happened to be available. Many things are done in the HRM because they are the easy way out and somehow approximate a real solution but they are often not really worth spending money on.

This land cost $2.7M and the improvements are costing about $1.5M. I can imagine many better ways to spend that money for cyclists, and for others the arguments about connecting a trail system don't make a whole lot of difference.

When I lived in Bedford most of my bike rides were for doing errands. I found it better than driving a car. Its much more scenic, quicker (yes Bfd traffic is really that bad), and as you mentioned it doubled as my badly needed exercise. HRM won't even install a bike lane if it requires moving a curb so yes all of the paths in the region are out of convenience and not made because they would be helpful were they are (exceptions being ones completed by trail associations). Of course towards the end of the summer I was beginning to wander wether I should risk my life everytime I wanted a carton of milk.

This is slightly off topic but I thought I'd mention my bike count has shown that most of the key intersections (that cyclists would use) in Bedford have a steady rate of 10 or more cyclists and hour. One even ranked at more than 10 everytime I visited it. The highest numbers per location belong to Rocky Lake Rd (35 max), Bfd Hwy @ HPR (21 max), and the Greenway (18 max). Of those three one is a trail, and the other two do not have bicycle lanes at the intesection.

BTW I've learnt that even though HRM is complant driven don't try to complain because they'll just ignore you. Hell I've talked to municipal councillors who are ignored by the bureaucrats.

Keith P.
Sep 12, 2010, 2:30 PM
^I disagree Keith.

Well, that wouldn't be the first time you were wrong. ;)

At the moment yes the trail does go nowheres but in the near future it will extend all the way to Bayers Lake providing a crucial AT link to the existing BLT corridor at Lakeside. In the far out future the waterside trail to Bedford will connect to the other end and I believe the HUGA trail will either connect or come relatively close to the area. Besides having a nice wide paved trail adjacent to a busy stretch of road will create a safe location for cyclists and pedestrians alike.

The problem is this artificial distinction between active transportation systems and other systems. We just have one transportation system, made up of pedestrians, cyclists, vehicle drivers, and public transit. Those things need to work together to enable people to get where they need to go. If you have different systems for each you end up with an expensive and dysfunctional mess. You see that already in the way MT does not integrate the ferry into the rest of their system.

This whole "trail" mindset has gotten out of control. Either the proponents are misusing the term or they have a different secret agenda. To me, a trail is something that goes through an undeveloped area, basically in the wilderness, and can be used for hiking or cycling (I'll avoid the whole ATV controversy for the moment). When you get to an urban area, the trail stops and you are then dealing with different infrastructure -- sidewalks and streets. No reason why they cannot nicely coexist and integrate, but trails in a city that parallel and potentially duplicate an existing heavily-used right of way make little sense.

The way this one is designed makes even less sense. That ROW would be perfect for an eventual mass transit corridor. They could have at a minimum used some of the land to allow for bus pullovers on Joe Howe, and to eliminate the existing bottleneck where the ramp to the 102 intersects. But nooooo... they waste public money constructing an asphalt surface that few will use.

I'm also sure HRM will green the space between the road and the trail as funds are made available for it.

Two points: that space should not be "greened". It needs to be a sidewalk. That is a heavily traveled pedestrian route and when they need to access a crosswalk or a bus stop they need to traverse the existing muddy, rutted ground. You don't want that space left au naturel. Besides, if they have not found money to build a sidewalk there in the 50 or so years that street has existed in its current form, I somehow doubt that is a priority ow.

One thing I'm not sure of is wether or not HRM will make the trail convenient or not. At most trail/road intersections vehicles are given priority which is absurd especially along main AT corridors. If the trail does not give good access to Superstore and adjacent roads locals will not use the trail which is a similar problem to what people face in Bedford and along the HUGA trail on Beaufort Avenue.

Vehicles should have priority. They are by far the most used mode of transportation, especially when you consider that buses use those same routes. Why do cyclists always feel they are so virtuous that they need to be at the top of everyone's list of things to bow down to? They are, and in our climate will always be, a fringe minority of those moving around town. As for making it convenient, that is the whole point. It is not. If you are walking on that trail you need to descend the raised gravel bed, traverse the rutted muddy ground between it and the curb, and stand in the mud at the crosswalk until the light changes. You have made my point for me -- the trail is a waste of money right now.

someone123
Sep 12, 2010, 6:28 PM
Vehicles should have priority. They are by far the most used mode of transportation, especially when you consider that buses use those same routes. Why do cyclists always feel they are so virtuous that they need to be at the top of everyone's list of things to bow down to? They are, and in our climate will always be, a fringe minority of those moving around town. As for making it convenient, that is the whole point. It is not. If you are walking on that trail you need to descend the raised gravel bed, traverse the rutted muddy ground between it and the curb, and stand in the mud at the crosswalk until the light changes. You have made my point for me -- the trail is a waste of money right now.

Private vehicles are the most common overall but not in every area. For example, there are places where there are more pedestrians than vehicles (Spring Garden Road, etc.) and it makes sense to give pedestrians priority in these places.

In the same way there is probably sufficient demand to warrant a few decent bike routes in Halifax along sidestreets (so for example you would run a bike route along Pepperell Street, or down College with a bike path across Victoria Park and then along Clyde). These would not interfere with rush hour traffic aside from a few controlled crossings comparable to pedestrian crosswalks. The bike paths are also much smaller than roads for vehicles and require less maintenance.

In Vancouver the most useful bike infrastructure I have seen is simply the equivalent of crosswalk buttons positioned on the road side of a utility pole for signaling a light change.

I don't agree that Halifax's climate is incompatible with biking. Montreal has a lot of cyclists and a harsher climate. At a minimum, lots of people enjoy cycling during the warmer months.

Keith P.
Sep 12, 2010, 6:42 PM
At a minimum, lots of people enjoy cycling during the warmer months.

Lots more people enjoy driving. On roads, bicycles should never get priority.

Dmajackson
Sep 12, 2010, 8:18 PM
Private vehicles are the most common overall but not in every area. For example, there are places where there are more pedestrians than vehicles (Spring Garden Road, etc.) and it makes sense to give pedestrians priority in these places.

In Bedford some roads have more cyclists and pedestrians than vehicles. The best example of this is Shore Drive down towards the Lions Pool. In areas like this where cars are in the minority AT uses should be given priority.

In Vancouver the most useful bike infrastructure I have seen is simply the equivalent of crosswalk buttons positioned on the road side of a utility pole for signaling a light change.

Thats one thing I'd like to see in HRM for sure. Again I'll use Bedford as an example.

Most of the signalized intersections in Bedford are "activated" which means the sensors under the road must detect a vehicle before they'll change unless a pedestrian hits the crossing button. Unfortunately all of these buttons are unreachable to cyclists which results in eiter waiting an eternity for a vehicle to come to the intersection from your street, dismounting your bicycle, or running a red light. I can understand why the intersections are like this but of course the ideal solution would be to have cyclist buttons (like Vancouver) and to require the light to turn green after a set amount of time no matter what the traffic level on the side street (1-5 minutes depending on the intersection).

I think I'm going to email a few contacts I know about testing this cheap solution to a irritating problem.

Lots more people enjoy driving. On roads, bicycles should never get priority.

You remind me alot of a lady I was talking to during my petition ... Luckily people like you are in the minority even among motorists. A lot of the people who I got to sign the petition were motorists who were either cyclists or knew one, or they wanted cyclists to have a safe area so the motorists wouldn't have to worry as much about hitting them.

There is few valid points as to why cars are better than vehicles. Cyclists take up less space on roadways (therefore more people can use the space), they are very quiet (no noise pollution), they are healthier, sometimes quicker than vehicles, and there are multiple other reasons why cyclists should be given priority in some areas.

DigitalNinja
Sep 12, 2010, 9:36 PM
http://www.dbarchitect.com/images/dynamic/article_slideshow_images/image/separated_bike_lane_jiaxing_china_.project_small.jpg IMO Bike lanes should only be put in like this.
Just lines on the road are annoying.
Also I hate when cyclists drive in the middle of roads in halifax and go UP HILL, they should keep to the right, I was going 2kph in my car up the hill on queen street behind some idiot who was doing this, other then that bikes don't bother me.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 12, 2010, 9:57 PM
I agree with Keith's sidewalk point... one of the worst things about Halifax is the lack of urbanization in some major areas for pedestrians. You shouldn't really have to walk across mud in real cities.

alps
Sep 13, 2010, 2:09 AM
I would definitely buy a bike to go to school if it felt safer. Bicycles wouldn't be a "fringe minority" if there was a little more thought put into proper infrastructure. There're plenty of spots I can think of at which you could make cheap fixes for safer cycling. I don't think climate is a huge problem, either (see Montreal). If I had a bike here and the weather was terrible on a given day, I'd just take the bus or walk as I do now.

Empire
Sep 13, 2010, 1:01 PM
Does anyone know what the two cranes are for in Burnside near Wright & Burnside Dr.? It would appear to be a substantial building at maybe 6-8 floors. One crane is at 12-14 fl. in height but that is no doubt to clear the smaller crane. Is it the new blood services centre?

Dmajackson
Sep 13, 2010, 3:52 PM
Does anyone know what the two cranes are for in Burnside near Wright & Burnside Dr.? It would appear to be a substantial building at maybe 6-8 floors. One crane is at 12-14 fl. in height but that is no doubt to clear the smaller crane. Is it the new blood services centre?

Its for the RCMP HQ on Garland Avenue.

I'm not sure but looking up the hill towards the crane the new Blood services centre will eventually be in behind to the left of the existing cranes. Probably directly behind the steel crane in the area.

Empire
Sep 13, 2010, 4:48 PM
Its for the RCMP HQ on Garland Avenue.

I'm not sure but looking up the hill towards the crane the new Blood services centre will eventually be in behind to the left of the existing cranes. Probably directly behind the steel crane in the area.

Here is the link:
http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias-media/gp-pg/2010-07-13-00-eng.html

Jonovision
Sep 14, 2010, 12:18 PM
Was walking through Parade Square with my camera yesterday. Thought I'd give you guys an update on the memorial arch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/S7300905.jpg?t=1284466612

And something cool they did for the Hopscotch hiphop festival over the weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/S7300907.jpg?t=1284466696

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/S7300909.jpg?t=1284466710

Jonovision
Sep 14, 2010, 12:32 PM
I've also noticed that the Navy has started work on something new. I'm assuming its a new shed for the submarines.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/jonovision/S7300873.jpg?t=1284467526

Empire
Sep 14, 2010, 3:05 PM
Here is the link:
PROPOSED N.S. RCMP HEADQUARTERS $59 MILLION
http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias-media/gp-pg/2010-07-13-00-eng.html

PROPOSED B.C RCMP HEADQUARTERS $966 MILLION
http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/surreyleader/news/93162854.html

Keith P.
Sep 14, 2010, 11:33 PM
OMG, get that awful graffiti out of the Parade square! Horrible!

What is this arch about again?

musicman
Sep 15, 2010, 1:53 AM
Hmm the grafiti is awesome.... However it is now going to be a royal pain in the ass to put up the stage for the New Years show...

someone123
Sep 15, 2010, 2:09 AM
The arch seems like a bad idea. A while ago there was talk of renovating the Grand Parade but nothing has happened (as usual).

One great idea was to create a second staircase by City Hall leading up from Barrington, eliminating part of the empty wall and making the area a little more accessible to pedestrians.

someone123
Sep 15, 2010, 2:46 AM
Also, Allnovascotia is reporting that the Cruickshank's funeral home might be purchased by Chedrawe, presumably for a residential development. Great development site.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 15, 2010, 3:34 AM
Also, Allnovascotia is reporting that the Cruickshank's funeral home might be purchased by Chedrawe, presumably for a residential development. Great development site.

Wow, on Robie?

That site would be great for a tower. I can hear the NIMBYs already!

Dmajackson
Sep 15, 2010, 3:53 AM
Wow, on Robie?

Just wait until some modern renderings are released. I'll be able to hear the screams of agony down here in the Valley. :haha:

Does anyone know what happened to the rumoured other Chedrawe project down around Centennial Pool?

sdm
Sep 15, 2010, 10:42 AM
Wow, on Robie?

problem with the site is that its small, and therefore the density isn't there to allow a good tower. I mean i guess one could always do a 14 storey 4 unit per floor building, but thats hardly efficent.

Keith P.
Sep 15, 2010, 10:36 PM
problem with the site is that its small, and therefore the density isn't there to allow a good tower. I mean i guess one could always do a 14 storey 4 unit per floor building, but thats hardly efficent.

The article said that zoning allows only a 4-6 storey structure.

There was also an article somewhere that said Wadih Fares is in negotiations with John Carroll to buy the Carroll Pontiac site on Bedford Highway, adjacent to the project he has already received approval for.

sdm
Sep 15, 2010, 11:06 PM
The article said that zoning allows only a 4-6 storey structure.

There was also an article somewhere that said Wadih Fares is in negotiations with John Carroll to buy the Carroll Pontiac site on Bedford Highway, adjacent to the project he has already received approval for.

Fares is doing the engineering for the project next door. The property is owned by Goushen (spelling).

sdm
Sep 16, 2010, 2:15 AM
Well news is out, even though its been well known it was coming, on the cylde steet lots.

First one, bound by Queen Street, will go to expersions of interest in Oct with second lot in year two. There is a third lot on Queen, which is land left over that will be sold in year 3.

I am not sure i like the idea of a 15 foot setback on cylde street (a requirement) as it decreases the land value and limits what can be done. I rather see to the lot line with a maximum height at street level of 3 stories.

Can't wait to see what comes out of the wood works for this one.

beyeas
Sep 16, 2010, 11:30 AM
Well news is out, even though its been well known it was coming, on the cylde steet lots.

First one, bound by Queen Street, will go to expersions of interest in Oct with second lot in year two. There is a third lot on Queen, which is land left over that will be sold in year 3.

I am not sure i like the idea of a 15 foot setback on cylde street (a requirement) as it decreases the land value and limits what can be done. I rather see to the lot line with a maximum height at street level of 3 stories.

Can't wait to see what comes out of the wood works for this one.

It will definitely be interesting... and also good that they have said that any deal will include a deadline for developing.

I also found it quite interesting the article in ANS about the fact that with three of the banks leases coming up for renewal in the new few years that they could dramatically alter the landscape for one of the proposed developments. Basically if one or more decide to go in a new location, then that may drive one of these new office towers that wouldn't have otherwise gone forward. Most likely that is Waterside, but they had mentioned that even a back like the Royal switching might be enough to make one like the triangle lands building possible (if they signed a lease with Empire).

The fact that multiple banks are looking to renew leases possibly changes the whole dynamic downtown in terms of breaking the current logjam where no one moves forward. It also makes sense to me for the banks to want to be in the latest and greatest Class A, which then frees up some of the older Class A for that next tier down of clients who can't afford the top prices.

someone123
Sep 16, 2010, 6:52 PM
The fact that multiple banks are looking to renew leases possibly changes the whole dynamic downtown in terms of breaking the current logjam where no one moves forward. It also makes sense to me for the banks to want to be in the latest and greatest Class A, which then frees up some of the older Class A for that next tier down of clients who can't afford the top prices.

Like I said, I think this would be great for the downtown even if vacancies rise. Landlords obviously don't like a surplus of space and they hate to let prices fall but it makes sense for some older buildings to gradually move downmarket. In the future, buildings like the current Royal Bank tower could be an attractive place for a variety of companies not willing to pay top dollar for office space. Right now those companies are moving to the suburbs because a purpose-built building downtown is too expensive and slow.

hfxtradesman
Sep 16, 2010, 11:32 PM
I don't know if there is a thread for this but, Killam prop. is hoping to break ground within the next month at the top of Shaunslieve apts for a new devp off the Bedford Hwy. Plus a new devp for down the south end(off Spring Garden) within the next year or two and another one in Dartmouth by Victoria Gardens, within a couple of years. Please note that this is Halifax and you may need to add years to these projects.:haha:

someone123
Sep 17, 2010, 12:08 AM
The Spring Garden project is by Camp Hill cemetery, right behind the grey and white circa 1960 apartment building. There's a pretty big open space in behind which I believe is a parking lot. It won't look very different but it's added density.

There was also that talk of redeveloping some buildings on the more commercial south side of the street but that sounds like it is pretty far off.

Dmajackson
Sep 17, 2010, 12:22 AM
I don't know if there is a thread for this but, Killam prop. is hoping to break ground within the next month at the top of Shaunslieve apts for a new devp off the Bedford Hwy. Plus a new devp for down the south end(off Spring Garden) within the next year or two and another one in Dartmouth by Victoria Gardens, within a couple of years. Please note that this is Halifax and you may need to add years to these projects.:haha:

Is there any mention of how tall the Shaunslieve project is? There's some pretty sizable buildings back there.

And to clarify the Victoria Aparment complex is the weird setup on Boland Road correct?

hfxtradesman
Sep 17, 2010, 12:44 AM
Is there any mention of how tall the Shaunslieve project is? There's some pretty sizable buildings back there.

And to clarify the Victoria Aparment complex is the weird setup on Boland Road correct?

Not sure how big or tall but I can find out. Yes Victoria and Boland is the site. Plus the Spring Garden site is in the back parking lot next to the grave yard by Killams building.

Dmajackson
Sep 17, 2010, 12:54 AM
Not sure how big or tall but I can find out. Yes Victoria and Boland is the site. Plus the Spring Garden site is in the back parking lot next to the grave yard by Killams building.

Thanks.

I heard of the Victoria site I believe if it is on Boland Road. According to my memory it will be four stories tall and in the rear of the site.

spaustin
Sep 17, 2010, 1:53 AM

I agree completely. This is one of the most urban parts of the city so you should be able to build to the lot lines. Everything else in the area is right up to the street right of way. Whatever gets built will look odd setback when everything around it hugs the street. Three stories and additional height setback would make a lot more sense.

someone123
Sep 17, 2010, 5:00 AM
I agree completely. This is one of the most urban parts of the city so you should be able to build to the lot lines. Everything else in the area is right up to the street right of way. Whatever gets built will look odd setback when everything around it hugs the street. Three stories and additional height setback would make a lot more sense.

The plan is outlined here (sadly, from 2006): http://www.halifax.ca/capitaldistrict/documents/SGQFinalReportNovember2006.pdf

I believe they are talking about the creation of a widened sidewalk rather than a setback with landscaping between the sidewalk and building. In other words, this amounts to a widening of Clyde Street that will mostly be devoted to pedestrians. It could also function as a quiet public space.

Not sure it's necessary but it could actually be very nice if implemented properly. It's an alternative way to provide a buffer between Schmidtville low scale residential and medium scale infill development north of Clyde.

I am not sure if the Trillium has a similar setback.

-Harlington-
Sep 18, 2010, 4:55 PM
Thought it was intresting:

Condos proposed for Northwest Arm heritage property

By BRUCE ERSKINE Business Reporter
Sat, Sep 18 - 4:54 AM

A heritage property on the Northwest Arm in Halifax could become home to a 14-unit condominium development.

The half-hectare property at 10 Kirk Rd. in Jollimore features an arts and crafts-style house built in 1914 by Dr. R. Evatt Mather, a Halifax eye doctor and surgeon.

The wood and stone home was designed by well-known architect William Brown, whose other commissions included an Oland residence on Jubilee Road.

Arts and crafts architecture, often associated with bungalows, grew out of the anti-industrial arts and crafts movement of the 19th century and features simple designs and natural building materials.

The property, known as Finntigh Mara, Gaelic for small house on the sea, includes four other buildings and an in-ground swimming pool.

It is owned by Marterra Inc., which lists Halifax architect Jennifer Corson of Solterre Design as a director and recognized agent.

Marterra has applied to Halifax Regional Municipality for a heritage development agreement that would turn the main house into a two-unit condominium.

Twelve single-unit condominiums would be built on the property, which would incorporate the other existing buildings, with the pool and pool house used as common amenities.

A public information meeting on the proposal will be held Sept. 22 at 7 p.m. at the Capt. William Spry Centre on Kidston Road.

Municipal planner Mackenzie Stonehocker said applications to develop municipal heritage properties aren’t uncommon.

"We do several heritage development agreements every year," Stonehocker said in an interview Thursday. "All are unusual in some way."

The heritage development application fall under Policy 6.8 of the Municipal Planning Strategy, she said.

The policy allows owners of registered heritage properties to apply for development agreements not otherwise permitted by the land-use designation, so long as the property’s heritage integrity and value are maintained.

"It allows for development while maintaining heritage aspects," Stonehocker said.

The public information meeting is a preliminary step in the heritage development-agreement approval process, she said.

"This is just the beginning."

The plan will also have to be reviewed by the municipality’s heritage advisory committee and by the watershed advisory board because the property has waterfrontage.

( berskine@herald.ca)

Dmajackson
Sep 18, 2010, 5:34 PM
Barrington Street church may develop property to avoid bankruptcy
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Sat, Sep 18 - 4:54 AM

A historic downtown Halifax church is looking to a developer for salvation.

The congregation of St. Matthew’s United Church will hear a presentation Sunday from a committee that’s been struggling for two years to come up with a way to keep the 153-year-old house of worship out of the red. The Barrington Street church, which had annual operating expenditures of $441,000 for the year that ended June 30, has been forced in recent years to dip deeply into its endowment fund to make ends meet.

"We must redevelop our site and our building both inside and out," says a new 40-page report on the church’s future.

"We have to determine what purposes and programs and funding sources can make it possible for St. Matthew’s to be a living church in the Halifax downtown."

The report warns of dire consequences if the church’s 350 parishioners reject the idea of developing its surrounding lands.

"After considered thought, discussion, prayer and discernment, the (committee that examined the problem) asserts that the only reasonable alternative to accepting the above recommendations, which we believe are required to achieve a sustainable St. Matthew’s, is to take the appropriate steps now to close St. Matthew’s United Church.

"In the absence of creating the sustainable church outlined in the proposed vision, this outcome is inevitable. A planned closure and distribution of assets is far more likely to result in St. Matthew’s remaining assets being used for the betterment of the community than for our own, likely doomed, attempt at survival."

The church now has about $1.8 million in its endowment fund. But the report warns that could be spent by 2019 if nothing is done to stop the financial hemorrhaging.

"It’s pretty bleak," said Tim Matthews, a Halifax lawyer and chairman of the church’s board of directors.

"The church has a substantial trust fund. But it’s been using that over time to supplement annual revenues from donations from the members in order to pay the expenses. When you do that, eventually your trust fund runs out and, at that point, your expenses are greater than your income. That’s bankrupt."

The plan to save the church would involve St. Matthew’s signing a long-term lease with a developer, who would bear the cost of building the project. An appraisal hasn’t been done on how much rent the church would charge.

"Bottom line — we’d like to have something that generated some income to help maintain the historic building," Matthews said. "Commercial is less likely because of the need for parking and access from the street. It’s probably more likely to be condos or residential apartments."

While the church is talking with one developer, it has not inked a deal, Matthews said.

"At this point it’s confidential on both sides," he said.

Big-name developers including Wadih Fares, Jim Spatz and Louis Lawen said Friday that they aren’t in talks with St. Matthew’s.

But Fares, who is planning a $20-million development on a Joseph Howe Drive church property, said churches make good neighbours.

"Having a church next to your development is a plus," said the president of WM Fares Group. "They don’t make much noise."

St. Matthew’s made an unsuccessful last-minute petition to the city’s urban design task force about 18 months ago to increase limits on how high a developer can build on the site.

"But the urban design task force felt that they had to maintain a principled position on the lower heights in the Barrington conservation district, rather than making piecemeal or spot exceptions," said Andy Fillmore, the city’s manager of urban design.

Anything built where the church sits now and in the south yard, next to Government House, can’t be any higher than 22 metres, which could be six or seven storeys. Development on the northern part of the church’s land, which borders the Maritime Centre, must be limited to 11 metres in height.

"The task force was unsympathetic to a few developers who were just looking to increase the value of their land but were quite moved by the church’s position," Fillmore said. "It was not an easy decision for them to turn them down on this one."

Matthews is still hopeful the city will eventually lift height restrictions on the church property.

"There are all kinds of developments going on on Barrington Street — at least being talked about in theory — including things that have a fair bit of height. So who knows what it’s going to look like at the end of the day?" Matthews said.

"Something’s got to happen because there’s a lot of empty space on Barrington Street and it’s looking pretty poor right now for what is, essentially, the main street of the city."

The church property is about 30 metres deep, with about 12 metres of green space on either side of the existing structure. The church also owns a separate lot to the east of the main property.

The existing church will need to go through a structural assessment to determine the future cost of maintaining the building, he said.

"Are we going to have a bill for a million dollars a year and a half from now, or something like that in the worst-case scenario?" Matthews said.

( clambie@herald.ca)

Jstaleness
Sep 18, 2010, 6:17 PM
Did you all just read that??? They actually WANT to go higher than the 6-7 storey limit. We need more church's like this one. I support this project and best of luck to them.

alps
Sep 18, 2010, 6:49 PM
"Anything built where the church sits now and in the south yard, next to Government House, can’t be any higher than 22 metres, which could be six or seven storeys. Development on the northern part of the church’s land, which borders the Maritime Centre, must be limited to 11 metres in height."

Seems like the city has this a little backwards...

fenwick16
Sep 18, 2010, 7:34 PM
Seems like the city has this a little backwards...

This sounds unusual to me also. Are they trying to preserve the Maritime Centre?

Dmajackson
Sep 18, 2010, 9:11 PM
This sounds unusual to me also. Are they trying to preserve the Maritime Centre?

Lol no its because of the Heritage District on Barrington Street. The church lot is within the zone but the lot to the east is outside of the zone and therefore can be built up higher.

eastcoastal
Sep 19, 2010, 11:49 AM

I presume that Government House was probably the focus of any attempts to "preserve" heritage assets

fenwick16
Sep 19, 2010, 1:06 PM
I presume that Government House was probably the focus of any attempts to "preserve" heritage assets

I wondered why it was 11 meters next to the Maritime Centre and 22 meters next to Government House. Dmajackson answered my question - the Barrington Street side next to the Maritime Centre is part of the Barrington Street Heritage District.

Jonovision
Sep 19, 2010, 4:46 PM
That is somewhat ridiculous that the small sliver next to one of our largest buildings in the city is zoned shorter than the site next to government house. Very backwards if you ask me. I couldn't quite grasp from the article though if they wanted to tear down the church or not? I hope not. It is a nice piece of architecture and I love the relationship between its steeple and the steeple on the Basilica. I do think a residential building around 12 storeys would work really well on any part of that site as long as it was made with mostly glass. Anything with too much stone or precast would be way to heavy for the site. But if a small glass tower was built it might help cushion that hard edge of Maritime Centre.

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 19, 2010, 10:16 PM

Lol, more like "heritage liabilities".

Dmajackson
Sep 19, 2010, 11:39 PM
Mayor involved in police chase

--- Chronicle Herald article (http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1202743.html)---

If only the policing were chasing after mayor for some his poor leadership that has plagued the HRM traffic department for the last decade.

Haliburger
Sep 20, 2010, 11:19 AM
That is somewhat ridiculous that the small sliver next to one of our largest buildings in the city is zoned shorter than the site next to government house. Very backwards if you ask me. I couldn't quite grasp from the article though if they wanted to tear down the church or not? I hope not. It is a nice piece of architecture and I love the relationship between its steeple and the steeple on the Basilica. I do think a residential building around 12 storeys would work really well on any part of that site as long as it was made with mostly glass. Anything with too much stone or precast would be way to heavy for the site. But if a small glass tower was built it might help cushion that hard edge of Maritime Centre.

I wonder if they are considering demolishing the more modern add-on and then working with the developer to have new space. The gym roof has been a major headache for a few years with leaks and a destroyed hardwood floor, but they sure use the space.

beyeas
Sep 20, 2010, 11:24 AM

Yeah I had the exact same question... it is really not clear as to whether they are planning on saving the church. One assumes that surely they are, but it is not obvious. I love the look when you are on Hollis looking north and you see the two spires side-by-side.

kph06
Sep 24, 2010, 1:42 AM
The old government building (Sir Robert(?) Thompson Building) on Barrington is now named "The Thompson" and has a jazzy new wrap around sign on the exterior. There is steady activity outside and inside, but no evidence of tenants actually moving in yet.

sdm
Sep 24, 2010, 2:14 AM
The old government building (Sir Robert(?) Thompson Building) on Barrington is now named "The Thompson" and has a jazzy new wrap around sign on the exterior. There is steady activity outside and inside, but no evidence of tenants actually moving in yet.

They have cleaned up the image for sure.

I know there is one tenant.

That node of the market is very very slow to respond, especially when there is space within the CBD that is competitive

sdm
Sep 24, 2010, 11:54 AM
Bids for transit terminal $4m higher than expected

Fri, Sep 24 - 4:53 AM
Bids for a proposed Metro Transit project in Dartmouth are almost $4 million higher than the development’s estimated cost, say a municipal spokeswoman.

Kathleen Cameron, with Halifax Regional Municipality, said Thursday two bids for the planned bus terminal replacement behind the Sportsplex came in recently at roughly $13.4 million each.

The project’s proposed cost is $9.5 million.

Municipal staff "will take time to evaluate the bids before they do anything," Cameron said.

In June, regional council voted overwhelmingly for the planned development.

The vote, following a lengthy public hearing and council debate, was to authorize land-use amendments so the project could proceed. Council voted 20-3 in support of amendments to Dartmouth’s municipal planning strategy.

According to staff, the Dartmouth terminal is the busiest in metro but has outgrown its usefulness. It cannot accommodate future growth in bus traffic.

It also can’t serve disabled transit users, the hearing was told. As well, there are safety concerns in terms of loading and unloading bus passengers.

The replacement project is part of Metro Transit’s five-year plan, a blueprint that includes a number of new terminals throughout the municipality.

"Construction of this terminal on the site proposed is one of the most important infrastructure improvements required by Metro Transit," said a May municipal report.

The two received bids are on the municipality’s website. One is slightly more than $13.4 million; the other came in at more than $13.3 million

Municipal staff plan to contact the bidders "to look at this and verify the cost before (the) next steps are outlined," Cameron said.

( newsroom@herald.ca)

JET
Sep 24, 2010, 12:11 PM
Bids for transit terminal $4m higher than expected

Bids for a proposed Metro Transit project in Dartmouth are almost $4 million higher than the development’s estimated cost, say a municipal spokeswoman.

Kathleen Cameron, with Halifax Regional Municipality, said Thursday two bids for the planned bus terminal replacement behind the Sportsplex came in recently at roughly $13.4 million each.

The project’s proposed cost is $9.5 million.

Municipal staff "will take time to evaluate the bids before they do anything," Cameron said.

In June, regional council voted overwhelmingly for the planned development.

The vote, following a lengthy public hearing and council debate, was to authorize land-use amendments so the project could proceed. Council voted 20-3 in support of amendments to Dartmouth’s municipal planning strategy.

According to staff, the Dartmouth terminal is the busiest in metro but has outgrown its usefulness. It cannot accommodate future growth in bus traffic.

It also can’t serve disabled transit users, the hearing was told. As well, there are safety concerns in terms of loading and unloading bus passengers.

The replacement project is part of Metro Transit’s five-year plan, a blueprint that includes a number of new terminals throughout the municipality.

"Construction of this terminal on the site proposed is one of the most important infrastructure improvements required by Metro Transit," said a May municipal report.

The two received bids are on the municipality’s website. One is slightly more than $13.4 million; the other came in at more than $13.3 million

Municipal staff plan to contact the bidders "to look at this and verify the cost before (the) next steps are outlined," Cameron said.

( newsroom@herald.ca)

Two independent bids that large and that close sounds a bit fishy.

sdm
Sep 24, 2010, 12:54 PM
Two independent bids that large and that close sounds a bit fishy.

Well i think its even more an issue when you look at the real problem.

Original cost $9.6 million
Bid price $13.1 million

That's close to 40% over the original budget price.......

JET
Sep 24, 2010, 4:05 PM
Well i think its even more an issue when you look at the real problem.

Original cost $9.6 million
Bid price $13.1 million

That's close to 40% over the original budget price.......

It's true, with both being 40% over, and that close to each other.....

sdm
Sep 24, 2010, 4:43 PM
It's true, with both being 40% over, and that close to each other.....

Well in the construction world you have three sets of budgets, Class A,B,C

Class A is typical plus/minus 5%

Class B is typical 10-15%

Then class C typically 30%

To be 40% out is unreal.

sdm
Sep 24, 2010, 5:50 PM
More offices empty downtown
Overall vacancy rate decreasing as suburban leasing continues to rise
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor

Bob Mussett

Although Halifax’s office vacancy rate fell to 8.7 per cent this month and is below the national average, the vacancy rate continues to grow in the downtown area.(Eric Wynne / Staff)

The office vacancy rate is going up in downtown Halifax and down in the surrounding suburbs, says the world’s largest commercial real estate services firm.

Halifax’s overall office vacancy rate fell to 8.7 per cent this month from 10.2 per cent at the end of the third quarter of 2009. But right now, the suburban office vacancy rate is 7.5 per cent, compared with 12.6 per cent at this time last year. The downtown rate is 10.3 per cent, up from 6.9 per cent last year.

"There’s been a significant amount of leasing activity in the suburban market and negative leasing activity downtown," said Bob Mussett, senior vice-president with CB Richard Ellis Ltd. in Halifax.

The trend "certainly started last year where we saw some shrinkage and we saw the significant amount of activity in the suburban area and it seems to be continuing," Mussett said.

He blamed demographics for the business shift.

"More people live outside of the city centre than on the peninsula."

There is a "growing diversity of product choices" in the suburban market, he said. Business parks in Bayers Lake, Dartmouth, Bedford and Burnside have all been popular picks for companies over the past year, Mussett said.

"There is no new construction downtown, so the product offering here has been the same for the last 20 years, basically."

Mussett said he would rather see more balance in the market.

"Halifax, when you take a snapshot of the overall office market, continues to perform well when compared nationally."

The national office space vacancy rate is 9.8 per cent.

"When you dig down, we’re seeing this shift happen locally," Mussett said. "To have that imbalance between the suburban market and the urban core, I don’t think it’s a healthy thing. And I think it will cause more issues going forward if it continues downtown.

"The valuation of properties will decrease, the tax base will decline. We already know there are a lot fewer people living down here. Will it accelerate or stall residential projects because more offices are locating outside the downtown core?"

( clambie@herald.ca)

someone123
Sep 24, 2010, 6:02 PM
To some degree Halifax is just big enough now that there will be growth off of the peninsula. It would have Manhattan-like densities if 400,000 lived on the peninsula.

It is pretty sad though that the last significant office construction downtown happened around 1990.

It feels a bit like the downtown missed the boat because nothing changed during 2000-2010. There was lots of economic growth in the city, lots of demand for office space. Nothing was spent downtown by the city and it was hard to even get approval for private projects.

sdm
Sep 24, 2010, 6:23 PM
To some degree Halifax is just big enough now that there will be growth off of the peninsula. It would have Manhattan-like densities if 400,000 lived on the peninsula.

It is pretty sad though that the last significant office construction downtown happened around 1990.

It feels a bit like the downtown missed the boat because nothing changed during 2000-2010. There was lots of economic growth in the city, lots of demand for office space. Nothing was spent downtown by the city and it was hard to even get approval for private projects.

The sad reality is these numbers don't take into account up coming vacanies such as Emera (130,000) or and or a number of other tenants who are now on the move.

The stats show that there is approximately 450,000 SF of available space downtown (currently). Add Emera and the others and it won't be long before we see close to 600,000. That is a lot of space in a relatively small market.
The problems for downtown came in part from a number of factors. The addition of Purdy's Wharf II on spec (no tenants) damaged the market in the early 90's. It wasn't till about 2002-2003 that the market more or less recovered. By this time construction cost rose and the market rates require for downtown space (new) was questionable, but was in the realm of possibilities.

Then the approval process to get projects on line meant projects missed opportunites.

Now the biggest issue is when you look at the trends of "absorbtion" the market is negative. There is no new companies coming to Halifax of significant size. More or less property owners are trading space, which in the end someone ends up holding the vacancy bag.

The province needs to be promoting business to locate to Halifax, but i am affaird we are not currently structure or viewed as pro business.

Wishblade
Sep 25, 2010, 1:04 PM
Just an article regarding a couple of developments in the Wrights cove area. Apparently within a certain radius of Magazine Hill you require an unexploded ordinance sweep lol.

It’s bombs away for Burnside complex

By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Sat, Sep 25 - 4:53 AM

The builder of a Burnside Park area apartment complex has been ordered to sweep the property for unexploded bombs before starting construction.

"I must say I have never heard of such a thing, but it is the requirement, so of course I will comply," architect and developer K.J. Ghandi said in an interview Friday.

Halifax Regional Municipality requires a search for unexploded military ordnance for developments in the Wrights Cove area.

A staff report cites concern about unexploded ammunitions following an explosion in the 1940s at the nearby Magazine Hill military installation.

"It seems like a useless and futile exercise. If there was unexploded ordinance on the property it would surely have been detected by now," said Ghandi.

The developer’s proposal for a six-storey, 70-unit residential complex and adjacent commercial development, facing Windmill Road, goes to Harbour East community council for a public hearing on Oct. 4.

Ghandi said he was contacted by the military about the requirement for a sweep of the property and tentatively arranged to have it conducted prior to his anticipated Spring 2011 construction start.

He said he’s holding off on the bomb search until the project is approved.

Ghandi is an architect and his company, Innovation Architects, designed the development, and his other company, Legacy Home Builders Ltd., will handle construction at the site, located between Windmill Road, Basinview Drive and Wrights Cove.

Another significant development in Wrights Cove is also scheduled to move forward in the spring. Project manager Dan Dean said a search for unexploded ammunition was previously conducted at the site of the 12-storey residential complex, planned by Harbour Isle Halifax Incorporated.

"Just a small corner of our property is within the zone but we still had to search the entire for unexploded ordinance," he said.

Dean said the proximity of this proposed development to Bedford Basin also required an underwater search.

"A team of navy divers came in and they conducted a sweep of the area and gave it the all-clear," he said.

The Harbour Isle development has gone through several fits and starts over the years. In a previous incarnation it was known as Sheppards Island condominiums.

Dean said additional details of this latest development effort for the Windmill Road site were to be released in coming weeks.

"We’re not expecting any difficulties on this phase of development, as a 12-storey residential complex was previously approved," he said.

The developers of Harbour Isle recently completed a waterfront walkway at the site.

"This was to encourage people to come down and see the beauty of the location," said Dean.

It looks as though Harbour Isle is moving along as well.

Haliburger
Sep 26, 2010, 3:01 PM

Anyone know the details of what happened with this building? I believe the Canada Lands Company was looking for proposals at one point. Did it sell?

kph06
Sep 26, 2010, 3:55 PM
Anyone know the details of what happened with this building? I believe the Canada Lands Company was looking for proposals at one point. Did it sell?

Universal Properties bought it. They have been doing interior renovations for quite some time now. I think the exterior will remain as is for the time being.

JET
Sep 27, 2010, 12:44 PM
A couple of derelict buildings on Gottingen St, north of KitKat pizza were being torn down today. They were a mess for years.

Dmajackson
Sep 27, 2010, 4:25 PM
A couple of derelict buildings on Gottingen St, north of KitKat pizza were being torn down today. They were a mess for years.

When I was by these buildings it looked like one was being torn down and one was being built up but then again I only had a split second to look.

JET
Sep 27, 2010, 6:32 PM
When I was by these buildings it looked like one was being torn down and one was being built up but then again I only had a split second to look.

same for me, i wasn't expecting it socouldn't quite place where it was. There is also a two story building next to KitKat that they are putting a 3rd story on; not looking so good so far.

JET
Sep 27, 2010, 6:39 PM
same for me, i wasn't expecting it socouldn't quite place where it was. There is also a two story building next to KitKat that they are putting a 3rd story on; not looking so good so far.

http://www.pbase.com/thomaxx/image/41877237

I think that these are the buildings that came down today.

planarchy
Sep 27, 2010, 10:40 PM
http://www.pbase.com/thomaxx/image/41877237

I think that these are the buildings that came down today.

That seems right. They've been for sale on MLS for months. Originally listed at $149,000 - then removed and relisted for $249,000.

hfxtradesman
Sep 28, 2010, 1:08 AM
A large crane was up today(10 stories around?). Looks like it's at the top of Larry Uteck. Was I seeing things, or does anybody know what this project is called. Or was it already there and got jacked up.

DigitalNinja
Sep 28, 2010, 1:25 AM
I think Jackson said something about this in the bedford south thread, he thinks it may be for the 12 story building going up.

kph06
Sep 28, 2010, 1:28 AM
This was mentioned in one of the other threads, I drove up there today. It went up last weekend, looks good, I've never seen that one around here before. The are already working on the main floor of the building. With those proposed 12 story Cresco buildings this area will definitely have some density.

Wishblade
Sep 29, 2010, 2:41 PM
I didnt know where else to post this as I didnt believe it warranted its own thread, but I saw a link from stats canada that someone posted in the Canada section regarding provincial population changes in the 2nd quarter of 2010. Here is an excerpt from the link:

"Nova Scotia's population grew by 1,100 (+0.12%) to 942,500. The increase stemmed essentially from net international migration (+900), which accounted for more than 80% of the overall growth in the province."

Is it just me, or is that an incredibly high number of international migrants? Im sure almost all of them probably ended up residing in the Halifax area.

here is the link:
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/100929/dq100929b-eng.htm

phrenic
Sep 29, 2010, 7:35 PM
Is it just me, or is that an incredibly high number of international migrants? Im sure almost all of them probably ended up residing in the Halifax area.

Seems high for Nova Scotia. But is should be (and will ultimately need to be) higher still.

someone123
Sep 29, 2010, 8:21 PM
I was under the impression that Halifax gets around 1,000-2,000 immigrants per year. The overall net provincial total is somewhat less because some people also leave the province for other countries.

This is still far lower than other areas of Canada. I believe Manitoba accepts on the order of 5,000 immigrants per year and has a similar population.

I'm not sure that high immigration actually improves the living standards of an area, but a certain amount seems to help. Another advantage of a growing population is that the per capita debt load falls, but this is a bit of a long-term pyramid scheme.

halifaxboyns
Sep 29, 2010, 8:55 PM
I wonder if it had to do with the fact that school was back in, so many international students had come?

For years I've been reading reports that Canada's population growth would end up being primarily immigrant based and not based on natural population growth (births/deaths).

Empire
Sep 30, 2010, 3:59 AM
Lawerencetown Beach is receiving major press for the rapidly growing surfing culture. One would think that a plan would be in place to improve the facilities and develop a surf shop and restaurant etc.

From the Herald: http://thechronicleherald.ca/ArtsLife/1204392.html

Dmajackson
Oct 3, 2010, 1:12 AM
The Agricola@West Office is starting to take shape. Walls for first and second floors have been installed.

- DJ

Jstaleness
Oct 3, 2010, 10:47 PM
The Nursing home on Admiral st. in Dartmouth now appears to be moving onto the second floor. The structure should be more visible from the 111 once that floor is complete.

someone123
Oct 6, 2010, 3:02 AM
Allnovascotia had a story tonight about a 5 or 6 storey as-of-right development for Ochterloney and Victoria in Dartmouth.

This is on the site of Ferguson's Automotive - was this one of the demolitions people were recently posting about?

Great to see more residential in this area. There have already been 3 or 4 project within a block or so of this site (Greenvale, the bowling alley, and the red brick apartment building).

Dmajackson
Oct 6, 2010, 3:42 AM
I think Jackson said something about this in the bedford south thread, he thinks it may be for the 12 story building going up.

Jackson's my father .. call me DJ :P

There's been two new cranes in the area; Ones for a 8 storey (plus two stories of parking) condo, and the others for a 6 storey condo.

JET
Oct 6, 2010, 12:14 PM
Allnovascotia had a story tonight about a 5 or 6 storey as-of-right development for Ochterloney and Victoria in Dartmouth.

This is on the site of Ferguson's Automotive - was this one of the demolitions people were recently posting about?

Great to see more residential in this area. There have already been 3 or 4 project within a block or so of this site (Greenvale, the bowling alley, and the red brick apartment building).

That would be the spot. The rumour in the neighborhood is that it will be condos. The site is fenced and there's a johnny on the spot. Did the article have any more details?

beyeas
Oct 6, 2010, 12:35 PM
an "ambitious" circa $10M multi-residential with as many as 60 units in a 5-6 story structure (according to AllNS).

JET
Oct 6, 2010, 12:54 PM
an "ambitious" circa $10M multi-residential with as many as 60 units in a 5-6 story structure (according to AllNS).

Be interesting to see the renderings. Hopefully it won't be a box. The condos across Victoria are OK, something with some character would be nice.

JET
Oct 7, 2010, 2:18 PM
FUSION Halifax looking for Board members
http://www.fusionhalifax.ca/en/home/aboutfusion/boardofdirectors/applicationfaqs.aspx

JET
Oct 8, 2010, 4:48 PM

The chain link perimeter fencing has come down, and the perimeter is now very large rocks. Interesting

beyeas
Oct 8, 2010, 5:15 PM
Hmmm... curious that it seems like they are starting prep work. Is this one approved, or does it not need a DA? Wish we had seen drawings of this!

someone123
Oct 8, 2010, 5:48 PM
Hmmm... curious that it seems like they are starting prep work. Is this one approved, or does it not need a DA? Wish we had seen drawings of this!

Sounds like they do not need a DA but do not yet have a building permit.

Dmajackson
Oct 8, 2010, 7:02 PM
For anyone curious on dates and specifications for approved projects in Downtown Halifax and Dartmouth HRM staff wrote up this report detailing the 13 major projects.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/101012cai04.pdf

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 9, 2010, 7:13 PM
For anyone curious on dates and specifications for approved projects in Downtown Halifax and Dartmouth HRM staff wrote up this report detailing the 13 major projects.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/101012cai04.pdf

Solid information... gives us on the board a bit more clarity.

I think there is ample time for most projects... who knows about UG though.

kph06
Oct 9, 2010, 7:46 PM
According to that the expiry date for commencing construction for UG was March 21, 2010.

someone123
Oct 9, 2010, 8:21 PM
I think there is ample time for most projects... who knows about UG though.

The UG deadline still seems a little weird to me in that it was apparently set before the final decision of the URB. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

macgregor
Oct 10, 2010, 12:05 PM
Just noticed a small project for sale on May Street. 4 townhouse units, 3 floors.

http://maystreetcondos.com/

Dmajackson
Oct 10, 2010, 4:20 PM
When I was driving through Dartmouth yesterday I spotted an excavator on a cleared site on Prince Albert Drive up near the superstore at the Parclo. A few years back a DA was approved for a lot in the area but I'm not sure of the location of the DA or the site I passed by.

Precambrian
Oct 11, 2010, 4:15 AM
I'm heading to NS in less than a week. This will be my first time back in about three years. I'm going to try to get Hali in as most of my time will be in New Glasgow. My dad says that a lot has changed. I'm quite anxious to see all these changes. I am also trigger happy with my camera so I'll be capturing the moment quite often. Speaking of pictures, does anyone know how to post pics?

fenwick16
Oct 11, 2010, 4:37 AM
I'm heading to NS in less than a week. This will be my first time back in about three years. I'm going to try to get Hali in as most of my time will be in New Glasgow. My dad says that a lot has changed. I'm quite anxious to see all these changes. I am also trigger happy with my camera so I'll be capturing the moment quite often. Speaking of pictures, does anyone know how to post pics?

You need to upload the images to an image hosting service such as imageshack, photobucket, flickr, etc. and then provide the link on skyscraperpage (use "image_link" to display the picture) - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#imgcode

Jonovision
Oct 11, 2010, 4:29 PM
When I was driving through Dartmouth yesterday I spotted an excavator on a cleared site on Prince Albert Drive up near the superstore at the Parclo. A few years back a DA was approved for a lot in the area but I'm not sure of the location of the DA or the site I passed by.

Are you referring to the site in behind superstore? I have heard there is a largish condo approved for the site. Something in the range of 60-80 units I believe.

Dmajackson
Oct 11, 2010, 4:39 PM
Are you referring to the site in behind superstore? I have heard there is a largish condo approved for the site. Something in the range of 60-80 units I believe.

It was at or near the corner with Glenwood Ave (?) up near the superstore area so I don't think it was behind the store. More like a block or two down from it.

Dmajackson
Oct 11, 2010, 4:47 PM
Admiral Street Retirement Complex;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5072256676_e7fd373539_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Oct 11, 2010, 4:49 PM
Agricola@West office building;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5072259276_69f1f96b30_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4107/5071652673_d7682ac08c_z.jpg

Dmajackson
Oct 11, 2010, 5:31 PM
Victoria @ Octerlonely (site and neighbour);

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5071843185_ac5c8e32a2_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/5072435690_29f0779975_z.jpg

Jonovision
Oct 12, 2010, 1:59 AM
It was at or near the corner with Glenwood Ave (?) up near the superstore area so I don't think it was behind the store. More like a block or two down from it.

Oh! I forgot about that. I saw it too. It's the old ultramar site at the bottom of Celtic. I think they are just doing work on the pipes that are under the site. Either from the water that goes under or maybe taking out some of the old gas station infrastructure.

Canadian_Bacon
Oct 12, 2010, 2:22 AM
I was wondering what the large building is going up when you come onto Bayers Rd. Just after it merges to the 102. I looked up the area on google maps, and found that it's beside Romans Ave. Or somewhere around there (the old Halifax Alta Gymnastics Club or something like that.) It's a large building and I can't find anything about it. I was just wondering what it is for such a large building.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 12, 2010, 2:32 AM
I was wondering what the large building is going up when you come onto Bayers Rd. Just after it merges to the 102. I looked up the area on google maps, and found that it's beside Romans Ave. Or somewhere around there (the old Halifax Alta Gymnastics Club or something like that.) It's a large building and I can't find anything about it. I was just wondering what it is for such a large building.

Its 6955 Bayers... it has its own thread in the Downtown Section.

Canadian_Bacon
Oct 12, 2010, 3:15 AM
^ Thanks alot. I just looked at the thread and I realized I have seen that thread before. Guess I never put two and two together.