PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Media

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

thistleclub
Jan 20, 2010, 1:57 AM
Toronto Star: Citytv cuts on-air, production staff (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/article/752879--citytv-cuts-on-air-production-staff)

CityNews at Six anchor Anne Mroczkowski is gone, as are other vets and some CH alumna...

A story posted on Citytv’s website says Mroczkowski was laid off after Monday evening’s broadcast and the rest of the staff were told Tuesday morning. One version of the story posted in the late afternoon said many staff were “crying” but that sentence was later deleted.

Ott wouldn’t comment on other staff cuts but the story on Citytv’s website lists the “remaining on-air staff” and they don’t include: Lara Di Battista, Pam Seatle, Farah Nasser, Jee-Yun Lee, Marianne Dimain, Merella Fernandez, and Michael Serapio.

On Tuesday afternoon, the online biographies for those eight broadcasters were all removed from the website.

Mroczkowski had worked there for 23 years. Di Battista and Seatle are both also veterans.

More details from the Viewers.ca forum (http://www.viewers.ca/discuss/showthread.php?t=4680).

realcity
Jan 20, 2010, 2:02 AM
That's how you 're-set' payroll. Roll it back to what it was 10-15 years ago. Let go your top earners... and bring in new grads who work for nothing.

It also helps when management has a recession to blame it on... not as damaging to public relations.

SteelTown
Jan 20, 2010, 2:48 AM
I missed Jee-Yun Lee on CH, nice personality. I'm surprised they did the cut before the Olympics though.

I like Taz Boga though.

highwater
Jan 27, 2010, 2:55 AM
ERIC CUNNINGHAM

The Burlington chapter of the University of Western Ontario alumni association recently sponsored a seminar on the future of local media.

An expert panel, which included Spectator editor-in-chief David Estok, favoured the large audience with a somewhat disturbing economic overview of the realities of media properties today. Simply put, some of them are in trouble.

The Canwest Global media empire that Izzy Asper built is in tatters. CHCH was sold for less than the price of a small Tim Hortons. The Aspers (more directly the banks) are selling most of their newspaper properties. The
National Post is on the auction block.

Panel moderator Paul Benedetti, a journalism instructor at Western, told the crowd that the once-venerable Detroit Free Press now publishes only three days a week. It is the only paper in town.

On the electronic side, Rogers Media, owners of Toronto-based Citytv, recently dumped on-air veterans Anne Mroczkowski and Laura Di Battista. One former Citytv employee likened these events to “the end of local news.”

News and information are now a free commodity, available in real-time on the Internet. The challenge for both print and electronic media is the timely
provision of local content.

Despite the explosion of Internet media, The Spectator has maintained
paid-subscription levels of more than 100,000. Paid subscribers are now the paper’s single largest source of revenue. That said, it is hard to compete
with “free.”

Ryan McGreal, the engaging editor of online media source Raise The Hammer, pays $15 per month to host a website that attracts 15,000 page views per
month. This contrasts with more than five million page views per month at thespec.com. McGreal’s adventure is a nonprofit forum for different points of view.

Veteran broadcaster Connie Smith lamented the gravitation by the electronic media to “the lowest common denominator.” Connie made an opportunity for
herself with her Always Good News show on CTS. She has established a niche market focusing on the positive things “that make our world a better place.”

Popular CHML talk-show host Bill Kelly brought home the essential function that mainstream media provide in terms of the credibility and integrity of their
content. The Internet provides no such responsibility. Kelly quoted media icon, the late Edward R. Murrow, “A lie can go around the world while the truth is getting its pants on.”

Most people would agree that an informed public is a worthy societal goal. It will never be accomplished through the growth of anonymous and often vituperative character attacks facilitated through Twitter, Facebook or dubious websites.

The late former U.S. Speaker of the House, Thomas Phillip (Tip) O’Neil, institutionalized the phrase, “all politics is local.” So too, is the future of news.

When I was a child, my family was fortunate to subscribe to two newspapers. The Globe and Mail came in the morning and The Spectator in the afternoon. Access to newspapers for me fostered an interest in sports, business and public affairs. It also led to a lifelong interest in reading. Parents
should think about this.

Local coverage enables me to be informed about important events in my community. News reporters and fellow columnists in this paper enhance my understanding of what is taking place at Burlington and Hamilton councils.

More importantly, local media provides for a level of transparency and accountability that elevates the level of behaviour of government and business. The mere prospect of exposure of impropriety on the front page of the newspaper is, in itself, an inducement to better stewardship.

In the fullness of time, the news and editorial opinion may guide my deliberations as I vote in pending elections.

Hopefully, it will help us all to
make informed decisions, and help good triumph over not so good.

Eric Cunningham is the former
Liberal MPP for Wentworth North
and a public affairs consultant.

SteelTown
May 13, 2010, 10:35 PM
Ed the Sock is coming to CHCH!

SteelTown
May 13, 2010, 10:40 PM
Ed the Sock brings his wisecracks back to TV with new indie show on CHCH

By: Bill Brioux, The Canadian Press
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/entertainment/breakingnews/ed-the-sock-brings-his-wisecracks-back-to-tv-with-new-indie-show-on-chch-93697989.html

He's baaaack. Yes, the Sultan of Shoe-business, the Howard Stern of Hose, Ed the Sock is back after a two-year hiatus.

Starting Friday, May 28, at midnight, Ed hosts "This Movie Sucks!," a new series originating from Hamilton's scrappy independent station CHCH and seen across the country on CJNT (Montreal), CHEK (Victoria), diginets Moviola and Silver Screen Classics.

Each week, Ed and Red (Liana K, the puppet's comely companion from his long-running Citytv series "Ed's Night Party"), plus a few "oddball friends and babes," will sit and watch a really bad movie and try to extract — through freeze frame, re-enactments and the usual wisecracks — the awesome from the awful.

"Sometimes we'll just speed search through the really boring parts, occasionally with Benny Hill-like music," says the man behind the sock, Steven Kerzner.

The films are of the "B" and "C" grade, features that have lapsed into the public domain, allowing Toronto-native Kerzner and company to have all sorts of fun with them. The first movie will be the 1951 epic "Bride of the Gorilla," starring Raymond Burr as as a mad plantation manager. The late Canadian-born actor is likely best remembered for long-running TV roles in "Ironside" and "Perry Mason."

"Raymond Burr acts as if he's practically anesthetized in it," says Kerzner, who adds that the leading lady, "looks like the Sea Hag from Popeye."

As his puppet alter-ego Ed the Sock, Kerzner has built a reputation as an outspoken smart-ass, never shy about telling it like it is. Which is one reason he's back, figures Kerzner. "There's nothing else out there that's calling B.S. on what's going on in the media," he says, suggesting people don't relate to the current world of corporate TV. Ed, whom he says is "nobody's puppet," simply "says things people really want to say."

The idea behind the cigar-chomping sock puppet goes way back to Kerzner's days wrangling community programming for Newton Cable, a Toronto-area carrier swallowed up by Rogers in the early '90s. That's when Kerzner took Ed to Toronto's Citytv and sister music station MuchMusic, where his biting deconstructions of bad music videos on the annual "Fromage" specials drew a wide national audience.

When Rogers acquired CHUM flagship Citytv after new owner CTV had to part with the Toronto-market station, Kerzner and his wife and writing partner Liana (who established her own cult following as Ed's busty co-host on the re-named "Ed & Red's Nite Party") knew their gig would soon end. That show's wild, hot-tub and party-girl shenanigans did not wash with Rogers blend of popular sitcoms and multi-cultural programming.

After 14 seasons establishing Ed as Canada's longest-running late night talk show host, the sock was sacked. The Kerzners worked on other projects, including a husband-and-wife radio gig on Toronto's Newstalk 1010, but Kerzner never gave up on the idea of getting Ed back on the air.

It has taken nearly two years but Ed has found a home at Hamilton's CHCH. Channel Zero, which acquired the station during the sell-off of Canwest Global's former E Channel assets, has returned CHCH to its community roots. The mix of local news and movies has found a foothold in Canada's largest TV market, with the supper hour newscast often outperforming the high-powered network competition.

As its moves into other programming areas, Channel Zero needed somebody who knew how to produce content on a Canadian dime. With networks talking about shrinking revenues and "broken business models," smaller media players would have to be especially resourceful.

Enter Ed, with Kerzner right at home at an "indie" station where thrift is always a reality. CHCH was, after all, the home of such iconic low-budget Canadian fare as "The Red Green Show" and "The Hilarious House of Frightenstein," locally-produced shows that proved you didn't need to spend a fortune to sell beyond our borders. Those shows were from another era but today's economic reality has forced even U.S. network broadcasters to reassess the big budgets they used to throw into programs.

All of which plays into Ed's toes, says Kerzner. "All this talk about local television, which people seem to value, Ed is local television."

He admits the new CHCH Ed the Sock shows — another, the entertainment magazine spoof "I Hate Hollywood," launches in September — are being cranked out on a shoestring. But that suits the sock, he says. He felt those last two years at City, where a U.S. media partnership took the budget to a higher level, was gilding the Sock.

He likens Ed getting back into the TV arena to the plot of the movie "Rocky III." "Remember how Rocky got a little too razzle-dazzle in his life?" says Kerzner. "He had to go back and train in the streets like he did in his first movie? This is that for me."

matt602
May 13, 2010, 11:58 PM
I didn't even know he was still around in the last 10 years.

scott000
May 14, 2010, 12:32 AM
Not exactly groundbreaking television, but its got to mean CHCH is doing fairly well under Channel Zero if they're able to bring in some original programming.

I've been impressed with how they came in, basically let everyone keep their jobs and continue to offer more local content than the big networks are. Pretty rare these days; new owners who don't come in and slash jobs. Maybe somebody gets it - local tv can work.

SteelTown
May 27, 2010, 10:47 PM
Mohawk students help bring Ed back to TV

By Gord Bowes, News Staff
News
May 27, 2010
http://www.hamiltonmountainnews.com/news/article/211346

The man behind the most acerbic sock puppet in television history has a soft spot for those who are starting out in the business.
So when Steven Kerzner was getting his latest Ed the Sock project off the ground — This Movie Sucks, which premieres Friday at midnight on CHCH — he turned to Mohawk College students to help him with the low-budget venture.

Not so much because they work for free, but because they put their hearts into their work.

“I always knew there is a strength in working with volunteers who are really motivated,” said Kerzner, the creator of the iconic character. “They’re thirsty to learn, they’re enthusiastic, they’re not yet jaded like so many people can be in the TV business.”

Kerzner got his showbiz start at a small cable company in Toronto as a volunteer then as a coop student.

He said the in-school education is a very important component in getting ready for a career, but applying that knowledge in the field is equally important and he was glad to give them a hands-on learning experience.

His efforts were certainly appreciated by the students he took on during the production.

“I know we’ve done a lot more than most of the other students,” said Larissa Drobot.

“A lot of them (during internships) are given paperwork or tape filing jobs and we've got to actually do things that we would be doing out in the real world.”

“This is more real," added Ryan Dunn. “You get to experience all the pre-production, the setbacks that obviously happen with a lot of productions, all the meetings and planning.”

They also had to watch some terrible movies along the way.

When first hearing about the format of This Movie Sucks — comedic commentary in conjunction with a B or worse movie— there is the inevitable Mystery Science Theatre 3000 comparison.

“They weren’t the creator of this kind of format,” said Kerzner. “They’re just the most recent and most well-known. (This is) more like Dinner and a Movie with an Ed spin on it.”

Each week, the show will feature Ed and Kerzner’s wife, Liana, along with some friends — including Drobot, who gets some screen time as Larissa the Intern — watching a movie and talking about it.

They’ll speed up the dull parts, freeze the picture and hold a quiz, and even insert sketches, said Kerzner.

“The movie is really the stepping off place for us to have dialogue and fun with things,” he said.

This Movie Sucks marks the return of the iconic sock puppet after a two-year hiatus.

In 2008, after 18 years on the air, it was time for a break, said Kerzner. But he and Liana had ideas percolating. so when Channel Zero chief Romen Podzyhun approached him last summer, prior to the company’s purchase of CHCH, they began talking about a show for its Movieola and Silver Screen Classics stations.

Kerzner said he liked the relatively small company’s approach.

“Ed doesn't flourish in a corporate environment,” he said. “When Channel Zero approached us, it seemed like the perfect fit: both are scrappy and independent, and we loved that CHCH was being returned to its local strengths.”

First up for comic dissection on This Movie Sucks is Bride of the Gorilla, a 1951 horror — in more than one sense of the word— film starring Lon Chaney Jr. and a young Raymond Burr.

To get ready for the show, Kerzner said he watched it 10 times.

“Which is nine times more than most people,” he said. “I’m hoping it eventually disappears from my memory so I can store more important information.”

This fall CHCH will also air another Ed the Sock series, I Hate Hollywood.

SteelTown
Jun 14, 2010, 10:49 PM
Channel Zero loads up on U.S. network series
Including NBC's 'Chuck' and CW's 'Smallville'

By Etan Vlessing
June 14, 2010, 11:17 AM ET
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/world/news/e3ib6a55e024fd8d08738e2f1319a76eaed

BANFF, ALBERTA -- Canadian indie broadcaster Channel Zero has acquired a slate of U.S. network series, including NBC's "Chuck" and CW's "Smallville," to bolster its all-news, all-movies over-the-air TV station in Hamilton, Ontario.

Following the recent Los Angeles Screenings and major Canadian broadcasters completing their annual shopping expedition with major Hollywood suppliers, Channel Zero moved in to acquire the scripted series "Chuck," "Supernatural" and "Smallville," in addition to "60 Minutes*, "20/20" and "48 Hours Mystery."

CHCH this fall will also air "NightLine" and "Jimmy Kimmel Live" at 11:30 p.m. and 12 midnight, respectively.

Channel Zero last year paid $12 to grab the broadcast license for loss-making Hamilton, Ontario TV station CHCH-TV from a struggling Canwest Global Communications Corp., before reviving the station as an all-news, all-movies service serving the Hamilton and Toronto markets.

The indie broadcaster will also this fall rebrand its Montreal over-the-air TV station as Metro 14 to reach a wider urban demo.

SteelTown
Jun 15, 2010, 2:10 AM
From the sounds of it Sun TV is about to change. Channel Zero, CHCH, pretty much took all of Sun TV's shows.

I bet they're going to make Sun TV the new Canadian Fox News station, eck.

SteelTown
Jun 15, 2010, 11:14 PM
Yep, Sun TV is going to shut down and become a specialty news channel, Canada's Fox News.

From the sounds of it Sun TV sold it's digital transmitters located Toronto, Ottawa and London to CHCH. Would make CHCH a big station.

SteelTown
Jun 24, 2010, 11:39 PM
CHCH got a new website

http://www.chchnews.ca/

I'm impressed.

SteelTown
Jun 28, 2010, 12:50 PM
CHCH will come out with a new format and logo, probably late summer or early fall.

SteelTown
Jul 22, 2010, 10:12 PM
A peek at CHCH new logo, retro
http://tweetphoto.com/34226130

CHCH will launch a new format and design in the fall.

LikeHamilton
Jul 22, 2010, 11:02 PM
Country music has returned to Hamilton airwaves.

TheSpec.com -

Talk station 820 CHAM has switched to country as of noon today. It will be known as Country 820 CHAM.

"For over 25 years 820 CHAM was the leader in country music radio and after a short hiatus as Talk 820, we're thrilled to announce the return of country music to our community," Drew Keith, the station's brand director, said in a news release.

The full story.

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/811754

SteelTown
Jul 23, 2010, 3:15 AM
Mark Hebscher is going back to reporting on sports again. He'll have I believe a one hour "Sportsline" show from 7pm-8pm weekday.

SteelTown
Jul 23, 2010, 3:31 AM
Plus NBA will be on CHCH on weekends.

bigguy1231
Jul 23, 2010, 2:36 PM
Mark Hebscher is going back to reporting on sports again. He'll have I believe a one hour "Sportsline" show from 7pm-8pm weekday.

I used to watch Sportsline all the time. I used to like seeing who was going to win the Hebsy awards.

jeremy
Jul 24, 2010, 11:11 PM
Too bad about 820.

Hope CHCH doesn't go Hollywood again with all the SUN TV leftovers they picked up. Really like what Channel Zero is doing with the channel right now, makes me proud to be a Hamiltonian!

matt602
Jul 25, 2010, 5:19 PM
Yah I definitely don't want to see as much as one E show on CH ever again.

LikeHamilton
Aug 12, 2010, 5:50 PM
The Spectator launches new website today

We’ve developed a new look and feel, plus new functionality. We invite your input and comments going forward.

You must register to begin commenting. Hit the link above titled "Register" and follow the easy steps. Once you have created a profile and set your own password, you can join the discussion on any story. As we roll out this new site, we expect there will be areas that need technical attention.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this changeover. We ask for your help in identifying these problem areas by adding a comment below. You can also e-mail Managing Editor Howard Elliott at helliott@thespec.com. Thanks for your interest.

http://www.thespec.com/

ihateittoo
Aug 12, 2010, 5:58 PM
I wish they would use the Hamilton Spectator logo on the website and change the colour scheme. But the new lay-out is a step above the old one. It still seems dated though.

SteelTown
Aug 12, 2010, 6:48 PM
Comments now allowed. Wow, watch out haha. Reading comments from CBC and Globe and Mail can be a real mess.

bigguy1231
Aug 12, 2010, 7:01 PM
Comments now allowed. Wow, watch out haha. Reading comments from CBC and Globe and Mail can be a real mess.

They are going to have the same comments format as the Toronto star. It's almost the exact same setup as the Star site. You will be able to comment on mutiple articles daily. It's not a bad setup.

SteelTown
Aug 25, 2010, 8:22 PM
http://www.chch.com/index.php/r-coming-this-fall

SteelTown
Aug 30, 2010, 11:20 AM
So what you think of CHCH's new format?

BrianE
Aug 30, 2010, 5:07 PM
It's busy as hell, everything you need to know in a morning newscast on the screen at the same time. I found it had to pay attention to what Bob and Annette are saying. Overall, i think it works. Might have to upgrade to a 40 inch + tv to make out the traffic pictures on the side, hard to see on my low def 27inch tv.

padthai
Sep 28, 2010, 1:14 PM
I'm enjoying the new format at CHCH. It's nice having the news throughout the day to catch at alternate times, rather than just morning, lunch, evening.

I think Bubba's great on Sports, it's refreshing seeing him on Sportsline. Nick Dixon is also an excellent newscaster.

A couple complaints:
- Lori DeAngelis. I see what they're going for, with promoting local businesses/initiatives. But I just find her annoying and abrasive. I always change the channel.
- Some of the new and not-so-new, "on the scene" reporters always seem to have trouble getting sentences out. I can't concentrate on the story because I'm waiting for them to find the right words. Is this new or the norm with a smaller station like this?

matt602
Sep 28, 2010, 9:51 PM
I've found Lori annoying for years now. Nothing new on that front. I really don't know how she is still around, watching her is just embarrassing sometimes.

LikeHamilton
Nov 26, 2010, 10:28 PM
Close to being local:

Sun TV gets go ahead to operate new 24-hr conservative news service

THE CANADIAN PRESS
OTTAWA - Canadians are about the get a third 24-hour English-language cable news channel, and it's one that plans to shake up the industry.

The CRTC has approved a five-year licence for Sun TV news service — referred to by critics as Fox News North — to go into direct competition with CBC's Newsworld and the CTV News Channel.

The federal regulator's green light was considered a sure thing after Quebecor Inc. dropped its request for a special licence that would have required cable and satellite carriers to offer the service.

The Category 2 competitive licence means the new station will need to negotiate with cable and satellite carriers for a place on their line-up.

http://www.thespec.com/news/canada/article/279326--sun-tv-gets-go-ahead-to-operate-new-24-hr-conservative-news-service

ihateittoo
Nov 27, 2010, 6:39 PM
Diianni's getting jason farrs old job at cable 14. Think this is an election strategy?

SteelTown
Nov 27, 2010, 8:38 PM
Di Ianni said he's done with politics.

highwater
Nov 27, 2010, 11:13 PM
over at the Spec:

http://www.raisethehammer.org/article/1242/spectator_to_lose_veteran_journalists

SteelTown
Dec 22, 2010, 11:21 PM
Looks like CHCH will start broadcasting NBA games on Christmas.

SteelTown
Feb 1, 2011, 6:50 PM
Looks like Hamilton is in line for a CBC radio station again....

http://www.thespec.com/news/canada/article/480222--cbc-5-year-plan-includes-new-radio-stations

SteelTown
Feb 2, 2011, 2:03 AM
CBC to open new radio stations

A CBC announcement that it will open new radio stations as part of a five-year plan has renewed a debate about the public broadcaster’s role — or lack of one — in Hamilton.

Details of where the new stations will be located have not yet been released.

In 2005, Hamilton worked with the Centre for Community Study, which prepared a report that argued that Hamilton — the largest underserved radio community — should be the next place for CBC expansion.

Councillor Brian McHattie was heavily involved in the political push and now says he plans to re-engage the CBC given Tuesday’s announcement.

“It’s an opportunity for us, no question,” he said.

Around the same time, a report went before a House of Commons committee examining the target markets CBC would like to expand into. In the English-speaking market, Hamilton was at the top.

“I would be surprised if Hamilton wasn’t in the top three priorities,” said Philip Savage, communications studies and multimedia professor at McMaster University.

Savage previously spent 15 years working for the CBC, mostly in audience research. While cost has been an issue, he said the biggest barrier Hamilton has faced is a lack of available FM frequency in the area.

There has been a shift in CBC management lately, Savage said, adding that he thinks this announcement points to making local programming a renewed priority.

Councillor Chad Collins said he would wholeheartedly support CBC in Hamilton.

“We need a station that looks at the broad issues facing Hamiltonians and by extension, Canadians,” he said.

“Hamilton residents and businesses pay an enormous amount of federal tax, and we rarely see anything in return for our contribution, such an investment would be quite welcome.”

Councillor Sam Merulla said he believes there would be widespread political support.

As part of the plan, CBC executives are also planning to introduce more locally based websites.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/480494--cbc-to-open-new-radio-stations

mishap
Feb 2, 2011, 3:35 AM
"While cost has been an issue, he said the biggest barrier Hamilton has faced is a lack of available FM frequency in the area."

The timing of this just can't be a coincidence. CKLN, 88.1 in Toronto, is being forced off the air by the CRTC. They've been ordered to shut down by the 12th of this month. If they go, I have an idea who gets that frequency...

thompsdk
Feb 2, 2011, 4:51 AM
CFMU 93.3 and C101.5 should consider some sort of time-sharing agreement with CBC. Both have solid broadcasting abilities over Hamilton and Niagara.

While campus/community radio is important, so is professional broadcasting in the public interest. Plus, we need somebody in this town to beat out CHML.

Considering the Chancellor is one of the founders of the Historica foundation, I'm sure they are plenty into Canadian institutions. What would look better than having a CBC studio right on campus (at least temporarily).

SteelTown
Feb 3, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hamilton on the dial for CBC
Corporation tunes in to talk shortage

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/480984--hamilton-on-the-dial-for-cbc

The CBC wants to be in Hamilton.

Hamilton is recognized as the largest underserved radio market and “one of the top 10 markets across Canada,” said Kirstine Stewart, the executive vice-president of the public broadcaster's English services. That makes the city a top priority for a new five-year plan announced this week to expand to roughly eight new markets, she said.

Areas with large and underserved markets are the priority.

Firm details as to when any new stations will open are yet to be seen. However, Stewart said she expects to be able to announce some in a matter of months.

The rollout will be staggered over the next five years.

There are more than 7 million Canadians who cannot receive CBC radio, she said, adding that the corporation hopes they will get to 6 million of those with the new plan.

Hamilton's biggest barrier remains the lack of available FM frequency, Stewart said, adding that it will not be possible for the CBC to buy new frequency in the area.

But that only means the corporation will have to look at different technological options, including digital, she said.

There are “workable solutions.”

A large number of people in the Hamilton area do follow CBC programming from Toronto, but they recognize that stories important to Hamiltonians are missed, Stewart said.

It is the city's proximity to Toronto that many believe has been a reason the public broadcaster has not expanded to Hamilton over the past almost two decades.

“Historically speaking, we're too close to Toronto,” said Alexandre Sevigny, assistant professor of multimedia and communication studies at McMaster University.

“It's insulting for Hamilton.”

The city has unique political, artistic and neighbourhood identities, he said.

It is incredible that Hamilton currently has eight radio stations and Buffalo – with a population nearly half the size – has 18 radio stations, Sevigny said.

A CBC presence would symbolize an acknowledgement that Hamilton is an important city, he said.

Councillor Brian McHattie, who was involved in advocating for a Hamilton CBC radio presence in 2005, said the prospect of a station actually coming to Hamilton is “fantastic.”

Councillor Jason Farr, who spent 22 years on air before turning to politics, said he would tune in regularly to CBC in Hamilton.

“I think a local CBC station would be the perfect complement to what is now a diverse format range musically in this city, however, provides no options in terms of the talk format,” he said.

bornagainbiking
Apr 10, 2011, 2:55 PM
I am basing this on my personal observation and changing routine. I used to enjoy sitting down and reading the or any newspaper. I was fond of the Spec on a regular basis and the Saturday Star and Sunday Sun. Linger over a coffee and share it with my wife. I still will stop into a pub and read the FREE padre there.
But, I stopped my subscription a couple years ago and don't miss it especially
Now with a laptop or iPad.
My point is were is the printed media going?
I got a phone call yesterday and was offered the Spec for $2.15 a week introductory offer. That is 36 cents an issue. What 70 % off. I still said No, because my recycle bin is less full and the damn things are nothing but a lb of ads. Namely the week-ends. With all the inserts.
So my point is, are we seeing the demise of printed material. I got a kobo reader that takes the place of a whole library with all the free classics great for the road or the cottage, no more book case.
With the newspapers iPad, iPod, iPhone, it is so much more convenient with less refuse.
Are newspapers obsolete?

SteelTown
Apr 10, 2011, 3:25 PM
I read my news from my iPad.

I can see all major newspaper having an iPad app. New York Times does and there's a fee.

SteelTown
Apr 26, 2011, 1:31 AM
http://www.urbanicity.ca/urbanicity.html

Excited to read the re-launch of Urbanicity. Excellent list of contributors like Paul Wilson! He's coming back. Eisenberger, Cooke, Skelly, etc.

flar
May 3, 2011, 3:58 AM
The View, the local weekly paper, owes me a considerable sum of money for photos that appeared in the paper in 2009 and 2010. They have not paid me and refuse to return my calls or emails. They used to pay me, but stopped, and it appears they are just ignoring me in the hopes that I will give up.

Anyways, if any of you happen to know the editor, Ron Kilpatrick, or Sean or Marcus Rosen, maybe put in a word for me. It's really frustrating to be treated in such an unprofessional manner.

It's normally not my style to air my business publicly, but I'm hoping maybe some social pressure can avoid the hassle of going to court, because the amount of money involved is enough that I will eventually have to.

flar
May 9, 2011, 12:05 AM
Anyone?

Perhaps a few of you who have enjoyed my photo tours of Hamilton might write a letter to the editor at View or maybe call the rant line or something.

http://www.viewmag.com/

editor@viewmag.com
ron@viewmag.com
seanr@viewmag.com

These deadbeats have stiffed me for the Civic Shot feature I did for nearly three years and it's hard for me to do anything about it because I'm up here in Ottawa.

DC1983
May 9, 2011, 1:41 PM
Anyone?

Perhaps a few of you who have enjoyed my photo tours of Hamilton might write a letter to the editor at View or maybe call the rant line or something.

http://www.viewmag.com/

editor@viewmag.com
ron@viewmag.com
seanr@viewmag.com

These deadbeats have stiffed me for the Civic Shot feature I did for nearly three years and it's hard for me to do anything about it because I'm up here in Ottawa.

Unacceptable! I'll be emailing them for you. I used to pick up View for no other reason than to see your Civic Shots!

flar
May 10, 2011, 12:13 PM
Unacceptable! I'll be emailing them for you. I used to pick up View for no other reason than to see your Civic Shots!

Thanks a lot DC :tup:

thistleclub
May 30, 2011, 11:19 AM
March 1, 2010 (http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/magazines/42679/)
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/7/2010/05/custom_1274301077202_magazinead.jpg

May 24, 2011
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-L7baDpLSFtU/TdwlTqssQNI/AAAAAAAAB7U/bIa0r46PCDk/s1600/specnew.jpg

SteelTown
May 30, 2011, 2:19 PM
/A\ Network to be renamed CTV2

Posted by Hugh Thompson on May 30, 2011

Bell Media announced today that it will rename the /A\ network to CTV Two this fall.

Bell says the rebranded network will broadcast in high definition to English Canadian viewers in Vancouver/Victoria, Toronto/Barrie, Ottawa, London, Windsor and Atlantic Canada.

Bell also announced that in order to expand its reach to almost 90% of English Canadians, the telecommunications giant will apply to the CRTC to extend the reach of its Barrie transmitter to Toronto and Hamilton and will move forward with plans to add a re-broadcast transmitter in southern Ontario in 2012.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2011/05/a-network-to-be-renamed-ctv2/

DC1983
May 30, 2011, 3:29 PM
^ Doesn't Vaughan (or York Region) also have it's own /A\ Channel as well?
Poor Kitchener.. I feel they deserve their own CTV over Barrie (or Vaughan)!

markbarbera
May 30, 2011, 3:52 PM
Doesn't Kitchener have the CTV station CKCO?

bigguy1231
May 31, 2011, 5:53 AM
^ Doesn't Vaughan (or York Region) also have it's own /A\ Channel as well?
Poor Kitchener.. I feel they deserve their own CTV over Barrie (or Vaughan)!

No Vaughan doesn't have a channel. The A channel affiliate that is located in Barrie is the one changing over to CTV2.

Kitcheners channel 13 has been a CTV affiliate for as long as I can remember.

DC1983
May 31, 2011, 11:53 AM
No Vaughan doesn't have a channel. The A channel affiliate that is located in Barrie is the one changing over to CTV2.

Kitcheners channel 13 has been a CTV affiliate for as long as I can remember.

Thanks. I thought they lost their CTV during the whole restructuring a couple years ago. Honestly w/ Digi/PVR I don't really want TV TV anymore anyway :s

Only time I watch CHCH is for a good laugh.. ie, from yesterday:
"There was a shooting late last night near a Toronto after-hours club. Gunfire rang out at 5am, just steps from a Childrens' Playgorund!"

WTF does a playground have anything to do w/ a shooting in the middle of a night?
Was this statement made simply to spark rage amongst CHCH's audience?
Because our Prime Minister is a Neo-Con, does that mean we all have to live in false fear now?

durandy
Jun 1, 2011, 7:44 PM
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/540726--media-take-aim-at-information-clampdown

bizarre news from City Hall. Peggy Chapman wants to 'control' media access, with the justification of protecting the public.

It's not like our media is flourishing to the point where Bratina needs to wade through a media scrum to get to work in the morning. What's he worried about, Don McLean? All I can think of is that it stems from that article on RTH where they called out the mayor's office for double booking the mayor during the stadium negotiations. If that's what's behind it then this is one petty administration. It was Bob Bratina that stood in Hess Village with an Our City Our future T-shirt on I seem to remember.

It's weird because you'd think they already controlled access in plenty of ways, so why bring it to the surface like this? Maybe it was just a slip of the tongue, when in Rome type of thing, Chapman going right-wing while chatting with Bill Kelly.

SteelTown
Jun 3, 2011, 1:01 PM
Fall Lineups at CHCH, Metro 14 Unveiled by Channel Zero

Channel Zero has announced Fall 2011 programming line-ups for CHCH Ontario and Métro14 Montréal.

This Fall, primetime line-ups on CHCH and Métro14 are stronger than ever! "Backed by a strong simulcast schedule and dozens of exclusive Hollywood blockbuster broadcast premieres, viewers are sure to come home to a pleasing viewing experience night after night," said Romen Podzyhun, Chairman and CEO of Channel Zero Inc. "We're also thrilled to be making a significant world broadcast film premiere announcement on June 8th at our Upfront Presentation."

"With solid year over year growth and 4.2 million viewers each week in Ontario1, CHCH has quickly re-established itself on the television landscape. In fact CHCH is one of the top five most watched over-the-air stations in Ontario2," said Geoff Thrasher, General Sales Manager, Channel Zero. "Rolling out this exciting high definition primetime simulcast schedule on Métro14 in Montréal provides advertisers with one of the most exciting television media opportunities Québec has seen in years."

Great Movies Every Night (HD) CHCH is home to great movies every night, with an exclusive first-run Sunday Blockbuster each week. Debut titles for Fall 2011 include Crazy Heart, Taken and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Nightly at 8pm or 9pm

20/20 (HD, Simulcast with ABC) A primetime news magazine program featuring co-anchors Elizabeth Vargas and Chris Cuomo. 20/20 combines hard-hitting investigative reports, newsmaker interviews and compelling human interest and feature stories. Fridays at 10pm

48 Hours Mystery (HD, Simulcast with CBS) Television's most popular true-crime series, 48 Hours Mystery investigates shocking cases and compelling real-life dramas with journalistic integrity and cutting-edge style. Saturdays at 10pm

60 Minutes (HD, Simulcast with CBS) The most successful television newsmagazine in history offers hard-hitting investigative reports, interviews, feature segments and profiles of people in the news. Sundays at 7pm

Chuck (HD, Simulcast with NBC) Cast: Zachary Levi, Adam Baldwin and Yvonne Strahovski Our favorite secret agent is back in the one-hour action-comedy series in its fifth and final season. Chuck Bartowski returns as a regular guy who also happens to be the government's most vital secret agent. Fridays at 8pm

Hart of Dixie **NEW** (HD, Pre-Release to CW) Cast: Rachel Bilson, Scott Porter, Jaime King Bilson plays Zoe, a doctor from the Big Apple adjusting to life and romance in a small Southern town after she inherits a local medical practice. Mondays at 8pm

The Insider **NEW** (HD, Simulcast with CBS on CHCH) Looking for your gossip fix? Hosts Brooke Anderson and Kevin Frazier will take you inside the entertainment world and deliver a daily double dose of celebrity, pop culture and gossip, from an insider perspective. Weeknights at 5pm & 7:30pm

Jimmy Kimmel Live! (HD, Simulcast with ABC) Jimmy Kimmel hosts a late night talk show with a variety of celebrity, news-making guests and live musical acts. Weeknights at Midnight

NBA Game of the Week (HD, Simulcast with ABC) Features the NBA's marquee match-up of the week. Premieres Christmas Day. Sunday afternoons.

Nightline (HD, Simulcast with ABC) A nightly discussion of current newsworthy events. Nightline provides a mix of investigative journalism and extended interviews. Weeknights at 11:35pm

Secret Circle **NEW** (HD, Pre-Release to CW) Cast: Brittany Robertson, Thomas Dekker, Gale Harold A young woman moves to a new town and discovers that not only is she a witch and part of a secret coven, but also the key that will unlock a centuries-old battle of good versus evil. Based on the highly successful series of novels written by L.J. Smith. Thursdays at 8pm

Sportsline Mark Hebscher and Clint 'Bubba' O'Neil team up to give fans an unfiltered take on sports. Sportsline is provocative, no-holds barred, irreverent, tell-it-like-it-is, and in your face! Weeknights at 7pm

Square-Off Mark Hebscher and special guest co-stars square-off to discuss the hot-button issues. Weekdays at 5:30pm, CHCH only

Supernatural (HD, Simulcast with CW) Cast: Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles Returning for its seventh season, this haunting series follows Sam and Dean Winchester, two brothers bound by tragedy and blood to the one thing that runs through both their veins - hunting monsters. Fridays at 9pm

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/issues/story.aspx?aid=1000459542

DC1983
Jun 6, 2011, 2:24 PM
Just wanted to say I found Channel Zero's H.O. accidently in Toronto's Junction neighbourhood. Awesome Hood.. too bad I can't say the same for said broadcaster.

I understand 'rights' and whatnot, but I really wish CHCH would at least TRY for Bulldogs Games. I mean, not everyone gets SportsNet and CBC only broadcasts maybe a half dozen (at most) BDs games through the year.
If CHCH picked up some more, say at least 2 dozen games or so, maybe the exposure would translate to more butts in seats?

I just really wish our local media outlet was indeed LOCAL! Scream About it @ 5:30 and CHCH News are a far cry from TRUE local programming! ESP since their idea of 'local' news usually starts off in Toronto, or Germany LMAO!

DC1983
Jun 6, 2011, 2:29 PM
We are asking that Council and Staff develop a formal policy on media relations which is fair, clear, and does not allow political staff to unduly influence the free flow of information at City Hall.
By RTH Staff
Published May 31, 2011

Editorial

We, the undersigned, call on the City of Hamilton and the Mayor's Office to adopt a policy of openness and transparency that recognizes the right of ordinary Hamiltonians to access information and speak to local officials, in the spirit of democracy and civic engagement that is one of the hallmarks of this city.

We represent a number of local independent media entities, whether as media professionals, citizen journalists, independent bloggers or as engaged citizens.

Recently, statements were made in local press regarding the relationship between City Hall and media, and how the current policies may change in terms of how people in media access City Hall. These statements were made largely by Peggy Chapman (a member of the Mayor's political staff), who states she is working closely with the City Manager's office to revise and develop these policies.

While we recognize the city's interest in developing a comprehensive media policy, we have concerns about its purpose and objectives. A media policy should be geared toward ensuring citizens and the media have access to information that ought to be public and transparent.

It should be seen as a concern that political staff would have influence on the development of that framework- it is not hard to imagine how policies could be developed that would result in influencing how information is gathered by media, and how that information is accessed.

What I'm trying to bring in is a press gallery. What that means, and it's going to bother a few people... is I will recognize you and give you as much access to the mayor, as need be, or information that I have - and especially at council, if you have a boss. If you're a journalist that has a boss that I can complain to, if I think that information is incorrect. If you don't have that, it's, you know- how do we control, um, the information? I don't mean control like I want to control what's being said, but my first priority is the public. I would hope in media your first priority is the information to the public too. But that's not my responsibility. My responsibility is information coming from City Hall, to the public. And how do we get that?

-- Peggy Chapman on The Bill Kelly Show, CHML, Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The statements above by Ms. Chapman seem to suggest that at Hamilton's City Hall, private media companies will be given preference over citizens who are engaged as independent media, perhaps simply because there is a perception that one group is more responsible than the other.

In making these statements, Ms. Chapman is making an implied accusation that independent media are less accountable than media owned by private companies. In fact, many citizen journalists are far less legally protected than media professionals who can access legal services at no cost to themselves, but rather the private companies they work for.

We believe firmly that any attempt to restrict access of the media to City Hall, whether professional or independent, would result in restricting the flow of open and transparent information to the general public, and inappropriately give political staff the unilateral ability to pick and choose who has access to information.

In the absence of a formal procedural framework, access to media seats in City Council chambers has been a confusing issue. Some media outlets have gained access to the resource of a media desk when others have not, or have been dissuaded by the City clerks department to access those seats.

We are asking that Council and Staff develop a formal policy on media relations which is fair, clear, and does not allow political staff to unduly influence the free flow of information at City Hall. We would also ask council to make this dialogue public, by council and by civil servants who can be held accountable by the public. We believe that this issue should not be handled by political staff, who may be motivated to develop these policies in a way that is favourable to their employer rather than in the interest of informing the public.

We would like to request that the City Manager's office, and/or the Mayor's office publicly respond to these concerns promptly, offer clarity on what our rights are as engaged citizens and independent media and how those rights will be protected going forward, should any new policy be enacted at City Hall.

Sincerely,

http://raisethehammer.org/article/1381/local_media_access_at_city_hall:_a_joint_statement

DC1983
Jun 6, 2011, 2:32 PM
^^ This is very important, everyone! Make sure everyone you know understands what the Mayor's office is trying to do; SILENCE INDY MEDIA!
Spread the word, EMAIL your councilors!

We cannot allow CHCH and/or TheSpec and/or Peggy Chapman's Bay Observer to be the only media outlets with access to the Mayor, Council and City Staff.

Why does Bratina try to run the City back to 1951? It's 2011, sir! Wake up and smell the freedom!

thistleclub
Jun 7, 2011, 1:16 PM
Opinionators-related... (http://www.modernfunerals.com/about.html)

SteelTown
Jun 7, 2011, 10:39 PM
CHCH FIRST ON THE AIRWAVES WITH CANADA'S EARLIEST MORNING SHOW
EARLY TO RISE OR LATE TO BED... STAY INFORMED WITH CHCH!

http://www.istockanalyst.com/business/news/5213074/chch-first-on-the-airwaves-with-canada-s-earliest-morning-show

TORONTO, June 7, 2011 /CNW/ - Today Channel Zero announced plans for the launch of CHCH's Morning Live First Edition — the first morning show to hit the airwaves at 4am in Canadian history!

Geared to the earliest of the early risers and perfect for commuter nation, Morning Live First Edition will get viewers up, prepped for the day and out the door on time. It caters not just to suburban commuters and predawn shift workers, but also to grateful insomniacs, first responders, parents of infants and, yes, even the occasional late-night club-hopper. Morning Live First Edition will air weekdays from 4-5:30am ET and is slated to launch early this Fall on CHCH. While new to Canada, "early early" morning shows are now the norm throughout the U.S., airing in markets of all sizes.

"On the heels of its 10th anniversary, CHCH Morning Live will soon enjoy an opening act," said Mike Katrycz, CHCH News Director. "For the past decade, viewers across the province have woken up with Morning Live and relied on us for the information they need to get their day started. Morning Live First Edition will boast a new morning team (to be announced later this summer), and will serve up breaking news, weather, traffic, sports and entertainment information — earlier than any other station in the country."

"An earlier start time spurs rating gains later in the morning, like a snowball rolling down a steep hill. It creates more opportunity to reach viewers in the morning and that's what our customers have asked us for," said Chris Fuoco, Vice President Sales and Marketing, Channel Zero Inc. "Audiences on Morning Live are up 88% year over year1, and we don't see this slowing any time soon. While the Internet is changing television viewing habits across the board, early morning newscasts buck the trend. In the morning, you're less likely to be getting online — you're getting up, putting on your pants, grabbing some breakfast, watching the news, and heading out the door."

This Fall, CHCH continues its tradition in news excellence. Currently airing 76.5 hours of local news every week — the addition of Morning Live First Edition takes the total weekly hours count up to 84 — more than any other local television station in North America. Just another example of how Channel Zero continues to push the envelope in Canadian broadcasting.

About CHCH
CHCH started broadcasting in 1954 and is proud to be the news leader for Hamilton and the surrounding Halton and Niagara regions. CHCH produces more original news programming than any other local television station in North America. With a primetime line-up anchored by movies, news magazine shows, and hit dramas, CHCH is available to over 92% of Ontario households and is viewed by millions nationally each week.

SteelTown
Jun 8, 2011, 6:28 PM
One paragraph from the Spec

According Chippewa county prosecutors, Matechuk has been charged two counts of possession of a controlled substances, one relating to Oxycontin, the other to steroids. Oxycontin is a narcotic pain reliever, possession of both it and steroids without a prescription are felony charges in the US. Matechuk is also facing a misdemeanour charge relating to marijuana possession.

http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/544682--arrest-warrant-issued-for-fired-ticat-player-on-drug-charges

Whoa don't they teach English in Journalism?

SteelTown
Jun 8, 2011, 6:50 PM
CHCH Lands James Cameron's Avatar For Fall 2011

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chch-lands-james-camerons-avatar-196274

TORONTO – James Cameron grew up in southern Ontario ahead of moving to California and film stardom.

So it’s fitting that CHCH, a TV station that serves southern Ontario, has grabbed Cameron's sci-fi epic Avatar for a Canadian free TV debut.

Hamilton, Ontario-based CHCH, which released its Fall 2011 schedule on Wednesday in Toronto, said the Fox Studios package deal will see the Ontario TV station and Metro 14 in Montreal counter-program a number of Hollywood movies during the upcoming primetime TV season.

CHCH will air 16 minutes of Avatar footage, including an alternative opening scene, not seen in the original theatrical release.

Other features to air on CHCH and Metro 14 include the Jeff Bridges-starring Crazy Heart, Max Payne, starring Mark Wahlberg, and the Liam Neeson-starrer Taken.

And new TV series to debut on CHCH this Fall include CW’s Hart of Dixie, which stars Rachel Bilson and Scott Porter, Secret Circle, also from CW, and CBS’ The Insider.

DC1983
Jun 8, 2011, 6:59 PM
Opinionators-related... (http://www.modernfunerals.com/about.html)

Weird! I saw an ad on the TTC for an online funeral booking site LOL
"You're just One Click Away from Eternal Happiness"

DAMN I wish I hadn't deleted that photo!

markbarbera
Jun 8, 2011, 7:38 PM

http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/544682--arrest-warrant-issued-for-fired-ticat-player-on-drug-charges

The Spec amazes me at how sloppy they can be. Poor coverage, terrible grammar, editorials that read as if they were written on a cocktail napkin as last call drinks were being cleared. I had enough and cancelled my subscription recently.

Sadly it is a sign of the overall dumbing down of journalism these days. It is impossible to clear accurate, well-written unbiased reporting anywhere in any media form.

DC1983
Jun 11, 2011, 11:14 PM

But at least they have a Boss I can complain to!! *rolls eyes*

markbarbera
Jun 12, 2011, 1:06 AM
Accountability is an element of journalistic responsibility that absolutely should never be diminished or marginalized in any way.

SteelTown
Jun 13, 2011, 5:20 PM
Maple Group officially launches $3.7 million bid for TMX

The Canadian consortium looking to buy the TMX Group Inc. has officially launched its $3.7-billion hostile bid, pitching it as a stronger platform for growth compared with a friendly merger with the London Stock Exchange Group.

HA! Proof read please

Gurnett71
Jun 13, 2011, 5:28 PM
HA! Proof read please Oh, man. You could have a full time job just reading and listing all the errors and omissions that occur in the Speculator on a daily basis. Wait a minute, isn't that what an editor is for??:shrug:

thistleclub
Sep 8, 2011, 1:36 PM
http://www.thespec.com/opinion/editorial/article/590227--hed

thistleclub
Sep 8, 2011, 1:38 PM
www.regrettheerror.com/tag/hamilton-spectator/

Duckyboy
Sep 8, 2011, 3:55 PM
http://www.thespec.com/opinion/editorial/article/590227--hed

Mistakes happen, but that one is kinda funny.

thistleclub
Sep 13, 2011, 12:53 PM
On the heels of the Star-lite facelift, thespec.com flirts with a paywall:

Changes to thespec.com

THE HAMILTON SPECTATOR

Effective today, Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2011, thespec.com is adopting a metered model.

This means that each spec.com user may view a certain number of content pages in a given month, and upon reaching that limit, will be asked to purchase a monthly subscription for digital access.

To begin with, we are setting that limit at 35, which means that users can view up to that number of articles per month and will then be asked to subscribe.

Users will see advisories pop up during their visits to the site reminding them of how much content they have consumed and how much free content they have left. Traffic tracking tells us this change will impact only a small segment of our web audience, so most users will not be impacted by this change.

Please note we are experimenting to begin with, so the specifics may change over time. We will advise when that happens.

You can e-mail questions and comments to helliott@thespec.com

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/593298--changes-to-thespec-com * COUNTS AS 1*

bigguy1231
Sep 13, 2011, 3:59 PM
The paywall was a failure at the New York Times. What makes these amatuers at the Spec think that anyone is going to pay to read yesterdays news on their website.

flar
Sep 13, 2011, 4:01 PM
I thought websites like that made their money off ad sales and number of clicks?

hammerton
Sep 13, 2011, 6:55 PM
Aaaand how would they track how many articles a user can view? By IP? What if I use dial up and get a new IP each time I connect to the intertubes? How about using Tor?

matt602
Sep 13, 2011, 6:57 PM
There's no way I'd even consider paying for the Spec site in it's current form. The quality just isn't there.

hammerton
Sep 13, 2011, 7:12 PM
https://www.torproject.org/

drpgq
Sep 13, 2011, 9:22 PM
Didn't the Spec do something similar previously a few years ago?

mishap
Sep 15, 2011, 2:40 AM
Bell TV has finally added CHCH in HD to their channel lineup (1057). I'm thinking this is some sort of concession to CHCH parent Channel Zero for permission to install a CTV2 (CKVR Barrie) repeater on the CHCH tower.

SteelTown
Nov 1, 2011, 8:52 PM
CBC launching digital Hamilton news service

http://www.thespec.com/news/canada/article/618101--cbc-launching-digital-hamilton-news-service

Hamilton will be the home of a new CBC online only news service, launching in the spring of 2012.

“We’ve wanted to be a part of Hamilton for many years,” said Jennifer McGuire, general manager and editor in chief of CBC News in a release announcing the service.

Limited space on the dials has been one stumbling block to CBC establishing a TV station in Hamilton in the past; an online-only format bypassest that problem.

“We’ve explored many options for how to best serve the community. We’re happy that, beginning next spring, we’ll be establishing a digital CBC station that will put everything Hamilton has to offer in one place.”

According to a CBC press release, the new station will only be available via smartphones, desktop/laptop computers and tablet devices.

The CBC quoted Mayor Bob Bratina in their announcement: “This decision properly reflects our City’s place among great Canadian Cities. The CBC has been a building block of our country and the new presence in Hamilton will help us in the 21st Century renewal of our City.”

Councillor Brian McHattie told thespec.com’s Emma Reilly that the station will likely be downtown and with five full-time positions.

"We're very excited," said McHattie, who has been pursuing a CBC station for Hamilton since 2004.

Last month the CBC announced enhanced radio and internet services in Waterloo and London.

durandy
Nov 2, 2011, 2:28 AM
hopefully one of those five people is a boss.

Great news anyway. I hope wherever they go they put up a giant CBC logo just to give the impression of scale.

SteelTown
Nov 2, 2011, 6:15 PM
Would be nice if they go to the Lister Block on the main floor. A CBC logo would be wicked.

SteelTown
Nov 2, 2011, 7:23 PM
Good chance CBC will also have a local CBC radio station. Watch the CBC jobs board if that does indeed happen.

SteelTown
Nov 6, 2011, 12:04 AM
A breath of fresh airwaves revives fortunes at CHCH
On the verge of extinction two years ago, Hamilton’s CHCH has staked its future on news

http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/620587--a-breath-of-fresh-airwaves-revives-fortunes-at-chch

The Jackson/Hunter Street home of Hamilton TV station CHCH seem a lot happier and more upbeat these days.

“It’s nice to be at a place now that is expanding and growing and hiring, rather than one that is imploding,” confides Brian Wood, a veteran on-air personality. “I’m very pleased to see it like that — and to be still a part of it.”

“There’s a big difference now,” echoes camera/microwave operator Nick Garbutt, another senior staff member. “It’s almost like the old days. Being independent again, decisions get made right away, here rather than at ‘corporate.’ Because this is ‘corporate’ now.”

It’s been a little more than two years since a small, relatively unknown Toronto-based media company named Channel Zero Inc. breathed new life into CHCH, bringing the beleaguered station back from the brink of broadcast extinction.

According to figures obtained from CHCH, the station has 141 full-time jobs on its payroll now, roughly a 20 per cent increase from the 117 full-timers in 2009. .

Today, CHCH is healthy again, insists Cal Millar, Channel Zero’s president and chief operating officer.

“We’re really thrilled with how it’s going,” Millar explained during a recent telephone interview from his Toronto office. “The progress, over two years, has been fairly steady. It’s going well in terms of viewership. It’s going well in terms of the kind of programming we’re doing. It’s going well in terms of the team in Hamilton. It’s going well in terms of the new shows we’ve launched. It even went well in the digital transition, the million-dollar-plus investment we made in new transmitters across the province.”

Numbers from BBM, Canada’s ratings service, bear that out. CHCH’s 6 p.m. newscast often pulls in anywhere from 100,000 to 140,000 viewers per night in the Toronto-Hamilton extended market. Both the 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts regularly beat out those from CBC, CP24 and Citytv. In fact, CHCH’s newscasts usually rank third, behind CTV and Global, and sometimes even outperform Global enough to land in second place.

And although the balance of CHCH’s schedule may not be breaking ratings records, the shows are managing to hold their own.

“We’re sustainable at this point,” says Millar. “Nobody’s getting rich over night, but we’re making money.”

scott000
Nov 15, 2011, 2:30 AM
Good chance CBC will also have a local CBC radio station. Watch the CBC jobs board if that does indeed happen.

First Hamilton CBC Job Posting is up -
Executive Producer-Notice of Assignment (Hamilton Digital)
Posting number HAM00002

https://cbc.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en

SteelTown
Nov 18, 2011, 3:16 PM
OpenFile Hamilton pulls the plug

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/626993--openfile-hamilton-pulls-the-plug

OpenFile Hamilton will shut down next week.

The community online news site announced Friday its Hamilton operation – one of seven in cities across Canada – will close after Sunday’s CFL football game.

OpenFile CEO Wilf Dinnick said in a statement on the site OpenFile had tried to engage readers and communities with professional journalists, but what works in each of its seven sites did not work in Hamilton.

“Our audience has grown every month, every week and almost every day,” he said in a statement. “Except in Hamilton.

“With great sadness, after nearly a year of operation in the Hammer, I’m sorry say we won’t publish new content on the Hamilton site after Sunday’s CFL game,”

Existing stories and blog posts will remain online indefinitely, but all new additions will be suspended.

durandy
Nov 18, 2011, 4:32 PM
darn it. I liked it. Yet for some reason I rarely went to it. Bad marketing? Bad search engine optimization maybe? It never came up when I googled things relating to Hamilton, whereas the Spec, SSP, and RTH all do.

mattgrande
Nov 18, 2011, 4:46 PM
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. It never really "grabbed" me like some of our other sites.

durandy
Nov 18, 2011, 5:46 PM
there was something kind of fake about it. Like it was 'citizen journalism' all gussied up, and yet still for free. Someone at RTH just suggested it was angling to get bought out by Torstar, which may just be the play.

markbarbera
Nov 22, 2011, 8:28 PM
I liked OpenFile Hamilton. Sure, it feels like a farm to feed stories to mainstream newspapers, but I liked its collaborative approach to developing a story. It's a good source for quality on-line news articles that generally upheld the principles of proper journalism. With the maintenance of an on-line presence, I am hoping it is in hiatus rather than dead. I would like to see it revived again down the road.

SteelTown
Nov 26, 2011, 1:04 AM
CHCH seeking a broader audience, sets sights on higher frequency

http://www.thespec.com/news/business/article/630797--chch-seeking-a-broader-audience-sets-sights-on-higher-frequency

CHCH is looking to power up and broadcast at a higher frequency as early as next spring.

The station recently applied for a licence to transmit on UHF (ultra high frequency) Channel 15 in hopes of allowing viewers who have had trouble receiving CHCH since its move to digital to access its programming.

Broadcasting on a UHF channel instead of the VHF (very high frequency) channel it currently transmits from would also allow the station to improve reception of Mobile DTV — a service CHCH is looking to develop, manager of broadcast operations Wayne Rabishaw said Friday.

Moving to the UHF channel would boost the station to 132 kilowatts effective radiated power from the current 6.1 kilowatts.

Viewers will still find CHCH on channel 11, but the transmission would be from channel 15.

When the station moved to digital from analog last summer, it received hundreds of complaints from viewers about issues with receiving CHCH, Rabishaw said.

“Post Aug. 15, when we went live to air, what we found was the actual coverage area was considerably less than the theoretical coverage area,” he said.

The Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission allows a period for input and intervention until Jan. 11.

“If all goes well, we’re looking at (transitioning) late spring,” Rabishaw said, adding they have received positive feedback from viewers so far.

If CHCH obtains the licence, viewers would have to rescan their TVs before accessing the station, he said.

Channel 15’s frequency became available when Sun TV stopped its on-air operations last month.

LikeHamilton
Feb 8, 2012, 3:03 AM
Budget could put CBC Hamilton in jeopardy

Mark McNeil The Hamilton Spectator February 7, 2012

A public broadcasting advocacy group says if expected funding cuts are made to the CBC in the upcoming federal budget, the corporation may have to kill its planned online service in Hamilton.

Friends of Canadian Broadcasting spokesperson Ian Morrison said the cuts would “have devastating consequences for listeners and viewers and could well scuttle new services the CBC has promised to Hamiltonians and residents of several other communities.”

A spokesperson for the CBC stopped short of saying the Hamilton service could be dropped, but acknowledged a heavy budget hit could send planners back to the drawing board.

“We’re facing a budget cut, questions about the future of the Local Programming Improvement Fund and a softening ad market. Dealing with the financial pressures will be a challenge,” CBC spokesperson Chris Ball said.

“If the budget reduction remains within the range originally envisaged and other funding sources remain stable, progress toward our five-year strategy may slow, but the ultimate goal remains achievable — including our expansion of local services across the country, including Hamilton.”

The federal budget is expected this month, and many believe it will contain at least a 10 per cent chop to the CBC.

In November, the CBC announced it was starting a digital service in Hamilton. The city is the largest community in Canada without any kind of CBC radio affiliate.

Last week, the Friends of Canadian Broadcasting released the results of a survey that found 65 per cent of Hamilton area residents want the CBC to establish a local radio station to cover community news. It also found that 69 per cent of the people in the community would support increasing or maintaining CBC funding.

The survey of more than 400 Hamiltonians was part of a larger national survey done Nov. 4-10.

Sources say the CBC has found the locale for its Hamilton operation and it will be 118 James St. N., between Cannon Street and Wilson Street. Springtime occupancy is being looked at. CBC officials did not return calls seeking comment about the location.

The 1920s-era building, formerly the home of Dominion Furniture, underwent a $3.5-million renovation and is now the home of Thier Curran Architects Inc. The Art Gallery of Hamilton is set to open an outlet in the building.

Neighbouring businesses are excited about seeing the CBC come to the street.

“It’s a positive development,” said Mixed Media owner Dave Kuruc, who’s been dubbed the King of James. “There’s definitely anticipation for this.”

http://www.thespec.com/print/article/667421

CaptainKirk
Feb 8, 2012, 7:50 PM
CBC announces location of Hamilton service

HAMILTON, ON, Feb. 8, 2012 /CNW/ - Today, CBC officially announced the location of its soon to be launched, Hamilton local digital service. Located at 118 James Street North, a street that is helping to lead the revival of downtown Hamilton, the new location will be home to CBC's next generation of local digital services, and be a centre of innovation for local services to come from the national public broadcaster.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/918181/cbc-announces-location-of-hamilton-service

Roger Gillespie named Executive Producer CBC Hamilton

Mr. Gillespie was the assistant managing editor for visuals at The Toronto Star prior to his appointment at CBC.

Mr. Gillespie is a former Hamilton Spectator managing editor who, according to his Linkedin profile, served 20 years in Hamilton.

http://blog.joeycoleman.ca/2011/12/roger-gillespie-named-executive-producer-cbc-hamilton/

CaptainKirk
Feb 10, 2012, 1:47 PM
They're already up and running!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamiltonblog/

bigguy1231
Feb 10, 2012, 3:50 PM
Seriously, a blog. Like anyone in this city is really going to notice.

CaptainKirk
Feb 10, 2012, 3:59 PM
Seriously, a blog. Like anyone in this city is really going to notice.

I think there's gonna be more than a blog (if it survives the budget crunch)

mishap
Feb 10, 2012, 6:34 PM
I think there's gonna be more than a blog (if it survives the budget crunch)
They want a radio presence? No radio frequency available? Piggyback on CBLT's digital feed as a subchannel. Or if they want a Hamilton-area signal, rent subchannel space from another station like CTS or the proposed CKVR repeater (I'm assuming CHCH would say no). It's not perfect, but it's a start.

bigguy1231
Feb 11, 2012, 4:22 AM
They want a radio presence? No radio frequency available? Piggyback on CBLT's digital feed as a subchannel. Or if they want a Hamilton-area signal, rent subchannel space from another station like CTS or the proposed CKVR repeater (I'm assuming CHCH would say no). It's not perfect, but it's a start.

That would be an idea. The Buffalo stations all have substations that we can get with an antenna. But I don't think the CRTC has approved the use of substations here in Canada yet.

markbarbera
Mar 1, 2012, 10:42 PM
The free daily commuter newspaper "Metro" will start publishing a Hamilton edition on April 2. It will be published online only, no print editions.

Metro is owned by Torstar, the same company that owns the Spec. I suspect that this will just amount to a lot more of the same old, same old.

This is a peculiar move for a company to offer a free online newspaper in the same market where it is trying to push paid subscriptions for the online edition of a newspaper it already has in the market. Cannibalizing subscribers and advertising dollars doesn't seem like a well-thought-out strategy.

mattgrande
Mar 2, 2012, 6:38 PM
I just wish they had Metro at Hamilton GO. It seems to be the only station that doesn't have it there...