PDA

View Full Version : Texas mandatory evacuations to start Sunday

KevinFromTexas
Aug 31, 2008, 5:21 AM
From the Austin American-Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/weather/entries/2008/08/30/first_general_e.html

Texas mandatory evacuations to start Sunday

By Mike Ward | Saturday, August 30, 2008, 05:55 PM

The first mandatory evacuation orders for average, everyday residents in Texas have just been issued as Hurricane Gustav churns toward the Gulf Coast.

Officials in Jefferson and Orange counties, coastal counties at Texas’ eastern edge, confirmed that a mandatory evacuation of all residents will start Sunday at 6 a.m. in Sabine Pass, followed at 8 a.m. by the same get-out drill in Port Arthur, 10 a.m. in the towns north of Port Arthur and at noon in Beaumont.

A voluntary and special needs evacuation had started at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, but no evacuation of everyone else had been ordered until now.

With more than 5 inches of rain and heavy winds predicted even if Gustav makes landfall in Louisiana, officials said the evacuation is being undertaken as a precaution against flooding that is now forecast.

If Gustav turns west and comes straight at Texas, everyone will still need to get out, Beaumont Police and county officials said.

jaga185
Aug 31, 2008, 7:56 PM
I have a feeling it won't be as bad as Katrina. I'm glad people are taking precautions, but I think the media needs to calm down a bit.

urbanactivist
Aug 31, 2008, 8:42 PM
LOL, "it won't be as bad as Katrina"... I guess bad just isn't bad enough??

Texas Tuff
Aug 31, 2008, 11:03 PM
I'm glad they are being cautious by ordering these evacuations in far southeast Texas. The last I heard about 30 minutes ago, Gustav has shifted slightly to the west so better safe than sorry.