PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa wants Vancouver organizers to include Afghan veterans in torch relay

mr.x
Aug 28, 2008, 12:32 AM
This is a terrible idea. Even though I support the war in Afghanistan, Ottawa's suggestion will politicize these Games. Ugh, i hate all this interference by Ottawa.

And what's up with needing an English and French person light the final leg of the torch relay???? I could care less, this should be about athletics.

First the opening/closing ceremonies, now it's the torch relay.

Ottawa wants Vancouver organizers to include Afghan veterans in torch relay

PATRICK BRETHOUR
August 26, 2008

VANCOUVER -- Ottawa is urging the Vancouver Winter Olympics organizing committee to put the Afghanistan war at the heart of the symbolically laden torch relay, saying that the first torch carriers could be veterans of the seven-year-old conflict.

The federal government is also pushing to have Canada's French and English "linguistic duality" highlighted by the relay, going so far as to propose a list of 83 communities that could be part of the run -- and provide a chunk of the roster of torch bearers, expected to number 12,000.

Both those proposals are put forward in an undated memo from the official languages group of the 2010 Federal Secretariat obtained by Ottawa researcher Ken Rubin under an access-to-information request. The proposals on the torch relay follow revelations last week in The Globe and Mail that the Harper government provided $20-million for the opening ceremony of the Winter Games to ensure the event "adequately reflects" its priorities and "to achieve its domestic and international branding goals."

The Harper government and the Vancouver organizing committee have each insisted that Ottawa will be only a source of ideas for the opening ceremony, not a decision maker, despite its funding (including a separate $25-million grant for the relay).

Yesterday, VANOC confirmed that Ottawa had floated such proposals, but said the government's voice was one among many, and that no decision has been made on the design of the relay, including the route and who will be the first and final torch bearers. "All of the ideas are being gathered right now," said Renée Smith-Valade, vice-president of communications for VANOC.

Deirdra McCracken, director of communications for 2010 Olympics secretary of state James Moore, said the documents were prepared for planning purposes, and that discussions concerning the torch relay were taking place in partnership with VANOC.

The memo from the 2010 Federal Secretariat also urges the Vancouver Olympics organizers to have two torch bearers -- one French, one English -- for the final leg of the relay, underscoring Canada's "diversity and linguistic duality" and replicating the approach of the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.

In other respects, however, the vision of the torch relay outlined in the memo is in sharp contrast to the approach of the previous two Olympics on Canadian soil: the Summer Games in Montreal and the 1988 Winter Games in Calgary.

In both, the choice of the first torch carrier, considered a particularly symbolic part of the relay, was decidedly non-controversial.

For Montreal, there were runners representing each of the provinces and (at that point) two territories. Calgary opted for two Olympic athletes, famed 1948 gold medalist figure skater Barbara Ann Scott-King, and Ferd Hayward, the first Newfoundlander to wear Canadian colours at a Games -- the latter a nod to the start of the relay in St. John's.

The 2010 relay also could start in St. John's, but the symbolism of a veteran from the Afghan war would be a more politically tinged symbol, with a substantial part of Canadian public opinion opposing participation in the conflict. Ms. Smith-Valade, while saying no decisions have been made, said the Vancouver organizing committee does not see the relay as a platform for political messages. "We have an opportunity to bring the country together."

Frank King, chairman and chief executive officer of the 1988 Games, said the Calgary committee's decisions on who became a torch bearer was based on highlighting Olympic athletes for the start and end; in between, a lottery generally determined who took part. He rejected the premise that Calgary should have based its decision on demographics.

"You're going off in a direction the Olympics don't go," he said. Stressing that he was commenting on only Calgary's experience, Mr. King said his organizing committee simply focused on highlighting Olympic excellence for the opening and closing legs of the relay. "We chose athletes; it didn't matter what language they spoke, what religion they were, what colour they were."

By contrast, VANOC is designing its relay as a "powerful and inclusive celebration" for the country; there will not be a random lottery. Instead, VANOC says it will select each torch bearer based on their articulation of Olympic ideals, and with the goal of representing the 21st-century nation through those thousands of faces.

"Canada has come a long way since 1976," said Ms. Smith-Valade. "It's come a long way since 1988."

jlousa
Aug 28, 2008, 1:06 AM
I'm all for it, this government is the best we've had in years.

Let the bleeding heart liberals start the attacks in 5.4.3.2.1 :tup:

Yume-sama
Aug 28, 2008, 1:37 AM
In the Torch Relay? No problem. In the opening cermonies? I would like to think not... it is a bit too touchy around the World.

As far as the English / French thing, let the pathetically lame PC crap begin! May as well put a Chinese / Korean / Japanese / Indian guy in there too, since it IS Vancouver, so let's be realistic.

bugsy
Aug 28, 2008, 5:08 AM
And what's up with needing an English and French person light the final leg of the torch relay?

Eastern bastards breathing down our necks again! They need to be left to freeze in the dark for often.

deasine
Aug 28, 2008, 7:06 AM
Which is why I support for BC to part from Canada... EHEHEHEHEHE... oh let's take Alberta with us since they have the oil =) Go West!

city-dweller
Aug 28, 2008, 7:19 AM
After living in Ottawa for a year, I found the bilingual aspect relevant TO that part of the country. I have been accused of not understanding the issue, being lazy, and more by locals there. The truth is most of them think Winnipeg or Calgary are West Coast. When they learn where Vancouver is on the map, I will take their culture issues more seriously.

Jacques
Aug 28, 2008, 9:40 AM
Eastern bastards breathing down our necks again! They need to be left to freeze in the dark for often.

A ahole have you forgot that they are two official languages in this Country, I am not saying it "would be done",
but being french born in Quebec, I find it insulting you call me an eastern bastard, I have lived in BC for over 30 years that is longer than I live in Quebec, I speak french and English and know how to say thank you and welcome in Mandarin and in Hindi and in Islam, so please stop being so narrow minded and more tolerant
that is what being a Canadian ought a be:hell: :hell: :hell: :hell:

zivan56
Aug 28, 2008, 3:45 PM
Great, lets let people who wage war carry a symbol of peace and humanity; touche!

twoNeurons
Aug 28, 2008, 4:54 PM
A ahole have you forgot that they are two official languages in this Country, I am not saying it "would be done",
but being french born in Quebec, I find it insulting you call me an eastern bastard, I have lived in BC for over 30 years that is longer than I live in Quebec, I speak french and English and know how to say thank you and welcome in Mandarin and in Hindi and in Islam, so please stop being so narrow minded and more tolerant
that is what being a Canadian ought a be:hell: :hell: :hell: :hell:

Is Islam a new language?

And... I think when he refers to the east, he's referring to Ottawa, Ontario... and not so much Quebec. I don't think it was a sleight against French people or French culture. As you probably know, having been here for 30 years (btw, I think you're officially now a Westerner), people may have a negative opinion towards French Canada on the West, but it's not like the vitriolic expressions you'll hear in Ontario. Most people just despise being fed a language (and by extension, a culture) that seems to be only useful for reading the other side of a cereal box.

I distinctly remember loving French growing up, but I was definitely fighting against the grain.

I think it's great that you have learned greetings in Hindi and Mandarin. I'm sure you have found them quite a bit more useful on the West coast than "bonjour".

In the end, I just want to express that I hope people don't take this request out of proportion. The Federal government is making a request. Personally, the less "Canadian" specific the relay and opening ceremony is the better.

As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of the religion of nationalism and the hatred that it incites (intentional or not).

mr.x
Aug 28, 2008, 7:30 PM
I don't mind having veterans being torchbearers along the route, in fact I'd support it.

But having the first torchbearers being Afghan veterans is a terrible statement and a political one too. It's quite obvious that the Tories want to push their Afghan agenda.

In my mind, the first Canadians to actually carry the flame on Canadian soil should be athletes and residents of that particular province or territory. In 1988, legendary Olympic champion Barbara Ann Scott and former Newfoundland Olympian Ferd Hayward picked up the torch when it arrived in St. John's. That is a more fitting message of unifying Canadians, sport, and the Olympics than sending in the military to greet the flame. I think the relay also needs to get started off with a big name to attract attention. From there, it should to to Canadians of all walks of life.

And really, I don't trust Harper.....this coming from a guy who cut $50-million from arts and sport, yet he wants to have an input on the ceremonies and torch relay.

jlousa
Aug 28, 2008, 8:41 PM
You do know that the Liberals were the ones that sent us to Afghanistan right?

You also now that although the tories have made some recent cuts in arts funding that total funding to the arts is still up 13% from the last liberal budget. Not too shabby, but you don't see that in the press.

Jacques
Aug 29, 2008, 1:59 AM
Tintinnium I agree with you I guess I had a blond moment, gawd knows I have no religious affinity nor political dogma, and btw It is Farsi that I have learn to say hello and thank you and have a wonderful day and may god bless you while in Tunisia in June, but couldn't remember so I said Islam, forgive me.
:)

mr.x
Aug 29, 2008, 5:44 AM

You also now that although the tories have made some recent cuts in arts funding that total funding to the arts is still up 13% from the last liberal budget. Not too shabby, but you don't see that in the press.

FYI, I actually support the War in Afghanistan.....I just don't think it's right at all to turn the Olympics at home into such an obvious political statement: to have veterans be the first torchbearers on Canadian soil.

I'd be all for having the first few torchbearers representing Canada's excellence in sport (with the first torchbearer being a star athlete), and then hand it off to veterans along the route.

cornholio
Aug 29, 2008, 6:33 AM

The conservatives have screwed up values regarding religion, crime, drugs, abortion, gay rights, so on and so on and so on...their values cloud their judgment and allow them to sabotage allot of what our country has achieved over the last few decades. When I vote then values are more important to me then anything else, I will gladly vote for a party that will begin to decriminalize soft drugs, cut funding to religious institutions, put money in education, put money in rehabilitation of criminals and prevention of crime rather than longer prison sentences, etc even if the parties economic policy isnt perfect. I will take that loss any day over having a government with values such as the conservatives. I will do anything in my power to prevent the conservatives of getting any power, I will vote liberals, ndp or the green party, or anyone with decent and modern values rather than the backwards conservatives. sorry about my rant...just had to get this off my chest.

edit: I do now realize that my post is somewhat unrelated to your post :) so just ignore it

mr.x
Aug 29, 2008, 6:35 AM
The conservatives have screwed up values regarding religion, crime, drugs, abortion, gay rights, so on and so on and so on...their values cloud their judgment and allow them to sabotage allot of what our country has achieved over the last few decades. When I vote then values are more important to me then anything else, I will gladly vote for a party that will begin to decriminalize soft drugs, cut funding to religious institutions, put money in education, put money in rehabilitation of criminals and prevention of crime rather than longer prison sentences, etc even if the parties economic policy isnt perfect. I will take that loss any day over having a government with values such as the conservatives. I will do anything in my power to prevent the conservatives of getting any power, I will vote liberals, ndp or the green party, or anyone with decent and modern values rather than the backwards conservatives. sorry about my rant...just had to get this off my chest.

Again, well said.

twoNeurons
Aug 29, 2008, 4:48 PM
Tintinium I agree with you I guess I had a blond moment, gawd knows I have no religious affinity nor political dogma, and btw It is Farsi that I have learn to say hello and thank you and have a wonderful day and may god bless you while in Tunisia in June, but couldn't remember so I said Islam, forgive me.
:)

Well, you certainly gave me a chuckle. I LOVE Farsi (aka Persian). One day I will learn how to read their alphabet.

Also, I was directing the "nationalism" comment at you, sorry I didn't make that clear. Just that in general, I don't think think the ceremony or torch run should be too wrapped up with being Canadian... and that I feel that "national pride" usually ends up dividing people (us vs. them) more than it unites people... which is what the ideals of the Olympics are "supposed" to be about.