PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Aerial Photos now Online!

hamtransithistory
Aug 26, 2008, 3:05 PM
McMaster University has digitized thier aerial photo collection, and placed it online.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/airphotos/1919.htm

(Thanks to this, I've been able to identify the location of several of the older photos on my website, and improve my old streetcar and radial maps)

adam
Aug 26, 2008, 3:57 PM
Wow, we have a lot of catching up to do to get the downtown back to the vibrancy of 1919. I wonder how the history books will remember this very short time period (1950's-present) of 1-way streets / pedestrians play chicken in the roads / single occupancy vehicles. I imagine it won't be very positive.

Millstone
Aug 26, 2008, 4:15 PM
I can't seem to get anything to work besides 1919 and a handful of others, the rest have no link for an image.

astroblaster
Aug 26, 2008, 4:48 PM
i was at this site very recently wondering why the offline archives weren't digitized.

i am really excited about this

astroblaster
Aug 26, 2008, 5:12 PM
im getting some strange results with it right now.. clicking on a link around mud st. but its giving me a photo of rosedale (1943 set)

flar
Aug 26, 2008, 8:02 PM
Have you guys seen the old videos available at History and Heritage on James N? I bought the 1946 video "Portrait of a City." It's awesome.

astroblaster
Aug 26, 2008, 9:07 PM
no, but i think ill be picking that up, thanks for the tip

matt602
Aug 26, 2008, 10:47 PM
Didn't know there were videos offered there as well. I'll have to go back in soon.

astroblaster
Aug 27, 2008, 2:43 AM
i have been on this site every spare internet moment ive had today... i love. its filling in a lot of blanks for me

hamtransithistory
Aug 27, 2008, 3:21 AM
Now this blows me away. In the 1950 images, there are entire neighbourhoods that have been wiped off the map.
-Burlington & Gage
-Burlington & Sherman
-Ottawa & Beach
There's probably more

flar
Aug 27, 2008, 4:14 AM
Now this blows me away. In the 1950 images, there are entire neighbourhoods that have been wiped off the map.
-Burlington & Gage
-Burlington & Sherman
-Ottawa & Beach
There's probably more

You can still see remnants of some of those neighbourhoods. There is an old road and some street signs in a field at Burlington and Gage, and I'm sure many of you have noticed the small cluster of houses that remain around Burlington St. near there.