View Full Version : [Halifax] Canada Games Centre | Completed

Dmajackson
Aug 13, 2008, 3:57 PM
a $40.5 million dollar recreation centre was approved last night for Halifax:

Mainland rec centre gets the OK
Many disappointed that facility won’t have a 50-metre pool
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE Staff Reporter
Wed. Aug 13 - 5:14 AM

Halifax regional council Tuesday unanimously approved development of the city’s planned recreation and sports complex known as Mainland Common Centre.

The approval means construction on the $40.5-million project can begin this fall. Cost of the site is to be covered by the three levels of government and community fundraising.

Councillors heard the new community centre will offer high-performance athletes a place to train and be an integral part of the 2011 Canada Winter Games in Halifax Regional Municipality.

Councillors were also told that it will go a long way to addressing the need for much-improved sports infrastructure in this region.

Tuesday’s endorsement, made at council’s session of committee of the whole, included $1 million for upgrades at Centennial Pool in downtown Halifax. It also bumped up the budget for consulting fees for the project to just under $2 million.

Building Mainland Common Centre means aging Northcliffe Centre in Halifax will eventually be shut down, a municipal staff report says, and its closure will be "concurrent with the opening of the new facility."

Staff said the city had to act quickly to get the new site ready for the Canada Winter Games. Any delay at this point, councillors were told, would jeopardize the municipality’s position with respect to the national event.

The recreation and sports centre is to include such amenities as swimming pools, an indoor running track, a fitness centre, meeting rooms and gym space for sports like basketball, volleyball and badminton.

Although the politicians trumpeted all components of the project, most of the debate at city hall focused on a planned aquatics centre.

Council was presented with a 7,000-name petition from a citizens group that’s been pushing hard for a 50-metre swimming pool; the new sports palace includes two 25-metre pools.

The Build It Right committee feels the proposed aquatic centre is undersized, spokeswoman Kelly Atkins told the committee of the whole. She said as it stands, the centre won’t be able to host any world-class swimming competitions.

David Rickard, an architect associated with the Mainland Common Centre proposal, said changing blueprints to accommodate a 50-metre pool would add more than $5 million to the project.

At one point during the debate, Coun. Debbie Hum (Rockingham-Wentworth), a vocal champion of the centre, took Ms. Atkins to task and fired a series of questions at her after the woman made a presentation to regional council.

But Mayor Peter Kelly steered the talk back to the future, with instructions for the councillor — and others — to stick to the proposal on the floor and not rehash past arguments.

Councillors were told a 50-metre swimming pool could be built years down the road, as part of the city’s recreation facility master plan. There are two such pools already in the municipality.

"If somebody wants to build a 50-metre pool off to the side of this in the future, then that’s clearly an option and can be done," said Coun. Andrew Younger (East Dartmouth-The Lakes).

Municipal staff said membership dues and other fees charged at the new centre will be on par with other city-owned sites, such as Cole Harbour Place and the Dartmouth Sportsplex.

This worried Coun. Gloria McCluskey (Dartmouth Centre), who said such user fees would essentially shut out metro’s underprivileged families.

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/photos/xlarge/Illustration_RGB_08-13-08.jpg

terrynorthend
Aug 13, 2008, 9:07 PM
Does anyone know what that yellow tube on the corner of the building is? I'm betting it is a water side for the pool. Seems like a neat idea at first, BUT... it'd be damn cold in the winter:koko:

hfx_chris
Aug 13, 2008, 9:11 PM
Looks like a slide to me. I hope it's insulated!

Jonovision
Aug 17, 2008, 7:17 PM
Looks like a pretty nice buildings. I would say that's a slide. I'm still a little unfamiliar with the location of this however. Anyone have a map?

Spitfire75
Aug 17, 2008, 9:36 PM
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=44.658351,-63.66221&spn=0.009158,0.015299&t=h&z=16

I'm not sure of the exact spot, but this the area it's going to be in. I know they have it all dug up around the baseball field there.

Dmajackson
Nov 19, 2008, 8:47 PM
Since it is being held here:

Wary council commits to $31m Canada Games

By JEFFREY SIMPSON Staff Reporter
Wed. Nov 19 - 11:50 AM
Halifax regional councillors expressed some anxiety about repeating their disastrous Commonwealth Games experience Tuesday as they committed to hosting the $31-million 2011 Canada Winter Games.

Council agreed to sign off on a new funding agreement with other levels of government and the Canada Games Council to hold the sporting event in Halifax Regional Municipality in February 2011, accepting $16.24 million in operating costs and $6 million in capital costs that the province and Ottawa will share equally.

The municipality will commit $8.85 million in cash and upgrades to existing sports facilities as its share of funding for the Games.

Councillors were supportive of the event but wary of repeating mistakes made in the municipality’s bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, which was aborted as its estimated costs mounted.

Coun. Gloria McCluskey (Dartmouth Centre) was first to voice a concern shared by several of her colleagues about the potential for costs to spiral upward, saddling municipal taxpayers with extra costs.

"Should there be a deficit, it will be the responsibility of the HRM and that kind of troubles me," Ms. McCluskey said.

Coun. Sue Uteck (Northwest Arm-South End) said she was uneasy about agreeing to a set level of funding so far in advance of the Games.

"If there are unforeseen contingencies, we don’t know what the financials are at this point," Ms. Uteck said. "This is a mistake we made with the Commonwealth Games. We went right out and accepted a figure from both the federal and provincial government which put us behind the 8-ball."

Coun. David Hendsbee (Preston-Lawrencetown-Chezzetcook) said he wanted to ensure any debate about the Games would be held in public, unlike the situation with the Commonwealth Games bid, which was criticized for being mired in secrecy.

"I’m worried about the transparency issues," he said. "I was hoping we would not go through any clandestine discussions that we had with the experience of the Commonwealth (Games)."

Mr. Hendsbee said he was happy to note there had never been a deficit in the 41-year history of the Canada Games, but wondered if the municipality would get to keep any surplus it racked up.

"Or will it be clawed back by the federal and provincial governments?" he asked.

Paul Dunphy, the municipality’s director of community development, told council there would be quarterly financial updates to ensure costs are kept in check.

"The Commonwealth Games was difficult to get a handle on what it was going to cost because we were building all new facilities and they were all mega facilities," he said.

Most of the events for the Canada Games will be held in existing facilities that will be renovated and any leftover funds would go to legacy facilities.

"It’s much more manageable in terms of risk," he said.

Halifax’s bid committee for the Commonwealth Games also needed to submit a competitive proposal to win the right to be host, while with the Canada Games the funding formula was agreed upon in advance, he said.

"It wasn’t like we were trying to outspend somebody else," Mr. Dunphy said. "So that’s a very big difference."

The federal and provincial governments have also provided another $23 million for the Mainland Common facility, which will be the Canada Games venue.

The municipality is expecting the Games to generate $60 million in economic activity locally and another $21 million for the rest of the province.

Organizers plan to raise $8 million from sponsors, $1 million from ticket sales, $350,000 from selling merchandise, $1.65 million from an HST rebate and $300,000 in interest from its profits.

The Games will attract 3,600 athletes, coaches and managers, competing in 20 sports. There will be 550 sporting officials, 400 media and 6,000 guests

Dmajackson
Nov 24, 2008, 8:59 PM
Mainland Common Centre Construction Commences

(Friday, November 21, 2008) - The Mainland Common Centre reaches another significant milestone today with the commencement of construction. Excavation for the swimming pools is now underway.

Blasting may occur on-site over the next few weeks.

An official Ground Breaking ceremony, involving all three levels of Government, will be held on-site December 17, 2008 from 11:00 am - 12:00 noon. Everyone is invited to participate in the celebration.

Please visit www.halifax.ca/mainlandcommon for additional information on the Mainland Common Centre project.

Dmajackson
Dec 17, 2008, 8:05 PM
Mainland Common Centre - Ground Breaking

(Wednesday, December 17, 2008) - The three levels of Government and community came together today to celebrate the official ground breaking for the Mainland Common Centre. "We are pleased to finally break ground and begin construction on the $40.5 million Mainland Common Centre", said Mayor Peter Kelly. "This centre will be a focal point for both elite sport and recreation for all residents of our Region. Infrastructure development is a priority for the Municipality as it has far reaching benefits for residents in our community."

Representatives from both the Provincial and Federal Governments were on hand to participate in the ground breaking and to show their support for this initiative. "This is a great day for Nova Scotians, a facility of this calibre will encourage more citizens to live healthy and active lives contributing to the overall health and wellness of the region" stated Minister Barry Barnet.

"Investing in infrastructure provides communities with long-term, stable and predictable infrastructure funding, new jobs and a strong local economic boost," said the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, on behalf of John Baird, Canada's Transport and Infrastructure Minister. "Our Government is committed to working with our provincial partners to find ways to approve projects faster so construction managers can get their shovels in the ground, just like we are doing today at the Mainland Common."

As per the funding announcement made in August 2008, the federal government will provide up to $12 million through its Building Canada agreement with Nova Scotia. The province will invest $12 million towards the centre.

The Mainland Common Centre will be a key venue for the 2011 Canada Winter Games. The Centre is slated to host three sports - synchronized swimming, badminton, and artistic gymnastics. Jean-Paul Deveau, Chair, Halifax 2011 Canada Games Board of Directors said, "Today's ground breaking is an important milestone for the Games, the Mainland Common Centre will be a great showpiece for the 2011 Games. We'll be able to welcome athletes, fans, and officials into a brand new, state-of-the-art facility that will have a great legacy long after the Games."

When completed, this 176,000 square-foot complex will include: a field house with 3 full sized gymnasiums; an indoor 200 metre track; an aquatic centre with a 25 metre - 8 lane competition pool, leisure pool, toddler pool, 2 slides and a hydrotherapy pool; a fitness centre; community centre with meeting rooms; youth centre; café; arts room; and other support services space.

With its innovative, environmentally friendly technologies and practices, facility managers will apply for a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) silver designation. Innovations will include a geothermal well system for earth source heat/cooling, energy saving lighting technologies, and the use of recycled and local materials.

For more background information on the project visit www.halifax.ca/mainlandcommon

Dmajackson
May 12, 2009, 10:15 PM
I was listening to Council tonight and apparently this has officially been renamed to Canada Games Centre.

DigitalNinja
May 13, 2009, 2:35 AM
Anyone have any pics of progress on this?

Spitfire75
May 13, 2009, 9:45 PM
I don't have pics, but I drive by it pretty often. They have some steel framing up.

Spitfire75
May 22, 2009, 11:59 AM
Some pics here: http://www.halifax.ca/CanadaGamesCentre/

Dmajackson
May 28, 2009, 7:17 PM
They have a daily updated webcam HERE (http://halifax.ca/CanadaGamesCentre/webcamera.html);

What's Included

176,000-square-foot facility
Eight-lane, 25-metre indoor competition pool
Leisure pool
Baby/Toddler pool
Hydrotherapy pool
Waterslide
Sauna
52,000-square-foot field house
Indoor 200-metre, six lane track
Multi-sport gymnasium courts
11,500-square-foot health, fitness and wellness centre
Dance/arts/culture studio room
Youth centre
Community multi-purpose rooms
Child care service
Canadian Sport Centre Atlantic
Sports medicine/physiotherapy clinic
Café
Community meeting spaces

The official website is lniked to in the last post

Dmajackson
Oct 2, 2009, 7:33 PM
'A beehive of activity’
$40.5 million Canada Games Centre expected to be weather-tight by December
Halifax News Net
By Lindsay Jones – The Weekly News

http://www.halifaxnewsnet.com/photos/HalifaxNewsNet/stories/Canada%20Games%20Complex%202.jpg
The 176,000 square foot centre, which is currently under construction on the Halifax Mainland Common, is on schedule for November 2010 completion. The facility will be a primary sport venue for the February 2011 Games.

The field house is now up and the concrete was just poured into the pool of the $40.5 million Canada Games Centre being built on the Halifax Mainland Common.
The facility will be a primary sports venue for the February 2011 Games, hosting badminton, artistic gymnastics and synchronized swimming.
The 176,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art community recreation facility is expected to be weather-tight by December, said Margaret Soley, co-
ordinator of infrastructure partnerships for the Canada Games Centre.
“That’s quite a milestone for us, and then construction will move indoors,” Soley said.
“We admit, this is a very aggressive timeline, but so far, we’ve had success in meeting key dates.
“It’s a beehive of activity up there right now. We’re very lucky the weather has been as good as it has. We’re not delayed.”
She said the centre is on target to be complete by November 2010, but the 160 workers who are on site every day still have a lot of work to do.
Last week, the elevator tracts were installed. Now, the aquatic centre is in the works. The structural steel went up last week. And the concrete was poured into the 25-metre, eight-lane competitive pool, the leisure pool, toddler pool, and hydrotherapy pool, which is being built to soothe athletes’ sore muscles.

MATERIALS IN THE CANADA GAMES CENTRE

* 140,000 concrete blocks
* Over 175 kilometres of wiring and cable – that’s equal to the distance between Halifax and New Glasgow
* 1.3 million kilograms of structural steel
* Over 4,000 cubic metres of concrete
* 16,000 square metres of roofing

“It looks like a hot tub, but this would be twice as large,” Soley said.
The next step is putting the blocks and glass up around the pool.
Then there’s 16,000 square metres of roofing to be done.
Soley said she’s been hearing from many people and getting lots of phone calls about the progress at the site, which is visible off Lacewood Drive.
“I think people are getting quite excited now that they’re seeing it going up, and the building continues to get bigger,” she said.
Landscaping around the building will take place next summer.
The centre will also include a waterslide, sauna, 200-metre, six-lane indoor track, 11,500 sq. ft. health, fitness and wellness centre, dance and culture studio room, youth centre, community multi-purpose room, child care services, Canadian Sports Centre Atlantic, a sports medicine and physiotherapy clinic and cafe.
The building is also designed to meet or exceed a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) silver rating. This means it will use rainwater to flush the toilets, have solar ducts and panels, low-flow plumbing, high-efficiency lighting, onsite bicycle racks and 30 per cent of waste generated during construction will be recycled.

ljones@hfxnews.ca

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 5, 2009, 9:46 PM
This thing is looking badass now.

CP/Bayers Lake is starting to get some density... this Regency Park development is going to have a huge impact on the whole area.

Dmajackson
Nov 15, 2009, 2:52 AM
I went by this tonight and ...

THIS THING IS F'ING HUGE!

(and starting to look good with the exterior well underway).

cormiermax
Nov 15, 2009, 4:49 AM
Yeah it is massive, Its gonna have a huge impact on the area.

-Harlington-
Dec 4, 2009, 10:19 PM
lookin good:

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/6sean/102_0645.jpg?t=1259964559
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/6sean/102_0646.jpg?t=1259964659
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/6sean/102_0647.jpg?t=1259964717
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/6sean/102_0648.jpg?t=1259964826
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/6sean/102_0637.jpg?t=1259964890
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/6sean/102_0639.jpg?t=1259965000
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/6sean/102_0638.jpg?t=1259965120

Keith P.
Dec 4, 2009, 10:51 PM
Geezus, it looks like a WWII-era airplane hangar. The architect must have checked his imagination at the door the day he did that design. But that's what you get when you accept low-tender bids for such things.

fenwick16
Feb 20, 2010, 3:52 PM
I am starting to look forward to the Canada Winter Games in Halifax in 2011 especially now with the Olympic Games going on.

I have always enjoyed watching the Canada Games since it is a chance to cheer for Nova Scotia in competition with athletes from across Canada in sports that I am interested in. With 2700 athletes partitcipating, this is a large event even compared to the Commonwealth Games (5000 athletes). Personally, I have more interest in the Canada Games than the Commonwealth Games since most of the sports are relevent to Canadian sports fans. The new Canada Games Centre doesn't seem to get much attention but it looks like an excellent facility. Although part of it really does look like an aircraft hangar (the roof trusses might actually be aircraft hangar trusses) there are a lot of similar sized facilities that look far worse. Personally I like the overall appearance of this facility.

This will be a chance to show that the Halifax area and Nova Scotia can host large events.

haligonia
Feb 20, 2010, 4:20 PM
Should someone change the thread to U/C?

-Harlington-
Feb 20, 2010, 9:03 PM
aha, yes someone should, considering its like half way done

-Harlington-
May 5, 2010, 6:17 PM
exterior almost done:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4582060594_7a24556f89.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4582061216_255abd4963.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4581433379_20f9f8a035.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4582062986_d23d843382.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4581434425_356b291770.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3318/4581432831_c7f30dde26.jpg

joeyedm
May 5, 2010, 7:35 PM
its turned out quite nice

Keith P.
May 5, 2010, 10:06 PM
Looks like an airplane hangar. But at least it's not red brick.

alps
May 5, 2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I like the materials but I'm not too keen on the architecture...looks like a jumbled mess from the front (2nd photo) and the canted roof on what I think is the foyer looks really goofy.

Thanks for the photos though, I haven't been out that way in a while.

someone123
May 6, 2010, 12:04 AM
"Can you give us a cheap design? No, no.. you don't understand.. cheap..."

-Harlington-
May 6, 2010, 2:24 AM
i think its quite an odd design but the rest of it is pretty well thought out, it turned out much better than i thought from where it started it
so i guess its a good kind of odd. aha

Jstaleness
May 7, 2010, 12:24 AM
I have to admit that I like the purple glass panes added to the street facing windows. I know a lot of people won't but driving by it doesn't seem so odd.

Jonovision
Jun 26, 2010, 2:18 PM
$40m Games centre on track to make splash

Workers busy laying gymnasium floor, rubber track

By MEAGAN LEONARD

Construction of the new Canada Games Centre is on schedule and nearing completion, says general manager Gary Furlong.

Members of the media were invited for a tour of the 176,000-square-foot facility on Thomas Raddall Drive on Friday. The $40-million project will become the epicentre for the February 2011 event, boasting three gyms, four pools and a 200-metre running track.

“The big pieces left to do are the laying of the hardwood floor in the gymnasium, rubber track and ceramic flooring around the building," said Furlong. “The pool is also nearing comple tion."

Melissa MacKinnon, director of communications and commu nity relations for the Games, thinks athletes are going to be impressed when they arrive.

“It’s always fantastic to com pete in brand new facilities be cause they’re held to lead stan dards," she said. “But just the space in there, and the positivity around it in the community, will be a big draw for spectators."

Halifax is one of the largest cities to host the games, and will give the tradition a more modern feel, says MacKinnon.

“If you look at where the past Games have been, in White horse, Yukon, and Corner Brook, Nfld., Halifax is a much bigger city," she said.

“So I think that in itself will be a big change. Hosting the open ing and closing ceremonies in the Metro Centre, that has host ed so many great events, will also really add a level of profes sionalism to the Canada Games brand."

Badminton, synchronized swimming and gymnastics com petitions will be held in the centre, and afterwards it will be open for public use.

Shaune MacKinlay, manager of public affairs with Halifax Regional Municipality, said the aim was to create a space with something to offer every age and activity level.

“The design of the building is based around serving the needs of all the community, whether you’re a senior citizen, someone who wants to take their family there, or train at a high level in your sport," she said.

Rates and programming for public use have yet to be deter mined. The centre is scheduled for completion in November, and plans to host a regional gymnastics competition have been made to ensure everything is operating smoothly.

The Canada Games run Feb.

11-27, with the event expected to draw as many as 10,000 visitors.

“Halifax has done a great job hosting single sport competi tions, so this is our next chance to show the rest of the country that we can put on a great show," said MacKinnon.

(mleonard@herald.ca)

http://halifaxchronicle.can.newsmemory.com/newsmemvol1/canada/halifaxchronicle/20100626/ch_mb_06-26-10_a06.pdf.0/img/Image_13.jpg

http://halifaxchronicle.can.newsmemory.com/newsmemvol1/canada/halifaxchronicle/20100626/ch_mb_06-26-10_a06.pdf.0/img/Image_12.jpg

Workers, in photos above and at right, lay tiles at the bottom of the training pool as work continues on the Canada Games Centre in Halifax on Friday.

(CHRISTIAN LAFORCE / Staff)

Dmajackson
Aug 16, 2010, 1:32 AM
Just a quick shot;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4895640143_6bc82c67e4_z.jpg

Wishblade
Oct 12, 2010, 11:57 PM
This hasnt been updated in a while, so I thought I'd check the most recent image of this from the official website. It appears they have added an extensive number of solar panels to the roof. Here is what it looks like now:

http://www.halifax.ca/canadaGamesCentre/WebCamera/10-1005-1401.jpg

link:
http://www.halifax.ca/canadaGamesCentre/webcamera.html

fenwick16
Oct 13, 2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks for posting the image - it looks good to me.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 13, 2010, 1:10 AM
What if aircraft hangers had slides?

fenwick16
Oct 15, 2010, 5:36 AM
Allnovascotia.com had a story about the Winter Games. Hosting these games seems to be a good way to generate income in the province. The story claims 900 jobs will be created (these are likely short term jobs, but even so this is impressive) and will generate $36 million in wages. The games will attract 2,700 athletes to Nova Scotia. It will also result in improved sports infrastructure such as the new Canada Games Centre.

Now if the HRM could just find a sports event to help fund a municipal stadium...

Buckey
Oct 15, 2010, 2:12 PM
Allnovascotia.com had a story about the Winter Games. Hosting these games seems to be a good way to generate income in the province. The story claims 900 jobs will be created (these are likely short term jobs, but even so this is impressive) and will generate $36 million in wages. The games will attract 2,700 athletes to Nova Scotia. It will also result in improved sports infrastructure such as the new Canada Games Centre.

Now if the HRM could just find a sports event to help fund a municipal stadium...

I think the Canada Games is a nice sized event to see if we can pull it off and really see what the jobs and the spinoffs are. That sort of success could lead to bigger things like another more intelligent and transparent shot at a CWG style event.

Dmajackson
Oct 15, 2010, 2:37 PM
Has it been mentioned yet that Subway will be moving into the finised building?

-Harlington-
Nov 20, 2010, 4:19 PM
here is a few from the other week, i finally got internet back
the parking lot is done and the grass is all grown in so its basically done:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/5191831527_fb13b0fa2d.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5192426134_2869edcb7d.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/5191829887_bcc7c1e2a8.jpg

fenwick16
Nov 20, 2010, 4:31 PM
Thanks for the picture. This looks good to me and at $42 million for 176,000 square feet the price seems reasonable (especially with the federal contribution). It makes me think that a decent stadium could be built for that amount also.

-Harlington-
Nov 20, 2010, 4:41 PM
yeah, and with the paula abdul thing there to its definitly something good for not just clayton park but the whole city.
it seems to be developing into a cool little venue for things.

fenwick16
Nov 20, 2010, 4:47 PM
yeah, and with the paula abdul thing there to its definitly something good for not just clayton park but the whole city.
it seems to be developing into a cool little venue for things.

I had to look that up - http://bustamovehfx.blogspot.com/2010/10/bust-move-2011-details-revealed.html . Can it be used for performing arts also?

-Harlington-
Dec 8, 2010, 2:56 PM
The fences around this came down today

Dmajackson
Jan 13, 2011, 3:27 AM
Ribbon cutting ceremony for this building is on Saturday (15th) from 11am-4pm.

Unfortunately I am working so I can't make it to take some photos but I hope an forumer can take my place. :)

PS. Moderators the thread title should be updated to [Halifax] Canada Games Centre | ?m | 2 fl | Completed

Dmajackson
Jan 15, 2011, 2:44 AM
The Chronicle Herald has a wonderful video of the inside of this centre up on the front page of its website. :)

fenwick16
Jan 15, 2011, 3:22 AM
The Chronicle Herald has a wonderful video of the inside of this centre up on the front page of its website. :)

Thanks for the information. Here is the link - http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1222065.html (PS: EDITED: The link location changed) . It looks very impressive.

This is off-topic, but it is interesting to me that at 52,000 square feet and with 32 high ceilings the main gymnasium is about the same size as the exhibition hall of the Nova Centre convention centre would be if it goes ahead.

-Harlington-
Jan 15, 2011, 3:33 AM
Just wondering for anyone that knows, does this open to the public after tomorrow or is this just an open house ?
and if so when does it officially open ?

macgregor
Jan 15, 2011, 6:03 AM
Thanks for the information. Here is the link - http://thechronicleherald.ca/ . It looks very impressive.

This is off-topic, but it is interesting to me that at 52,000 square feet and with 32 high ceilings the main gymnasium is about the same size as the exhibition hall of the Nova Centre convention centre would be if it goes ahead.

Sweet. I could play badminton at the Nova Centre ;)

Harlington: I don't think it opens to the public until after the games.

fenwick16
Jan 15, 2011, 2:14 PM
Sweet. I could play badminton at the Nova Centre ;)

Harlington: I don't think it opens to the public until after the games.

The link location has changed - it is now at this internet link - http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1222065.html (but probably not for very long since the Chronicle Herald seems to archive their articles after about one week).

-Harlington-
Jan 15, 2011, 5:11 PM
i managed to get up there with my camera but unfortunately it died before i got into the building, but i did manage to get this picture of Peter kelly with our canada games mascots :

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/6sean/102_2137.jpg?t=1295110614

I was extremely impressed by not only the facility its self but how much people showed up to support it, there had to be thousands of people including the politicians and demonstrations
Peter mackay, Darrell dexter, and the mayor along with several people working with the games were there for speeches and ribbon cutting ect.
there were refreshments a tour and demenstrations in dance, vollyball, basketball, running, jumping, and a high school band was playing upstairs and this was put on by people from all around HRM
all together it is a fantastic piece of infrastructure for the whole city, and is a huge improvement over northcliffe which serves the community now. there was lots of tv crews and media there so im sure they will inform you more than i can when its on later
:tup:

Grav
Jan 16, 2011, 12:14 AM
Oh i missed the tours and free food :( I will just have to give myself a tour at some point :D

Its not a bad facility, too bad its waaayyyyy out on the edge of nowhere!

-Harlington-
Jan 20, 2011, 8:19 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5048/5373006121_706624f12c.jpg

i could have sworn there was a thread for this but since this is right beside it ill put it here:

new indoor sports facility going up :
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5009/5373597078_0ceff3b325.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5086/5373007385_8629e65b1c.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168/5373007949_ede1b3ff7b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5283/5373006863_b1eb3ff589.jpg

And who can spot the coast guard headquarters ?? aha
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5207/5373605202_c5a8b19cf6.jpg

DigitalNinja
Jan 20, 2011, 9:39 PM
So are we putting in the bid for the womens world cup because of that soccer stadium going up?

worldlyhaligonian
Jan 20, 2011, 9:59 PM
So are we putting in the bid for the womens world cup because of that soccer stadium going up?

No, I believe that is just an indoor facility. The proposed stadium is open air.

Jstaleness
Jan 21, 2011, 2:06 AM
And who can spot the coast guard headquarters ?? aha
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5207/5373605202_c5a8b19cf6.jpg

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/coastguard.jpg
I think I see it now.

-Harlington-
Jan 21, 2011, 3:33 AM
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/coastguard.jpg
I think I see it now.

yeah, i found that kinda cool
you can just see the crane and if you look even closer the building itself
you can see the rcmp cranes from there to but it didnt come up on the camera

DigitalNinja
Jan 21, 2011, 3:37 AM
That's like when they were digging out the sunset ridge development up here in Sackville I walked up there and could see Fenwick tower from Sackville.

-Harlington-
Jan 21, 2011, 11:53 AM
yeah, i also found it impressive when i saw the buildings in clayton park from cole harbour and sackville but i have yet to see fenwick, aha

Wishblade
Jan 21, 2011, 1:37 PM
yeah, i also found it impressive when i saw the buildings in clayton park from cole harbour and sackville but i have yet to see fenwick, aha

You can actually see Fenwick tower quite clearly as far away as Lawrencetown beach on the hill where that tea house is. It's about 16km as the crow flies.

Dmajackson
Mar 22, 2011, 6:11 PM
A few random photos;

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5297/5549312918_11ceca71c5_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5180/5549300552_40a207977c_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/5548704991_4fee3d3c34_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5064/5548680011_f4f0348a86_z.jpg

-Harlington-
Mar 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
2nd annual Bust a Move takes place in Halifax

CBC News
Posted: Mar 26, 2011 12:44 PM AT
Last Updated: Mar 26, 2011 6:11 PM AT

Hundreds join Bust a Move in Halifax

Celebrity Paula Abdul came to host the final hour of Bust a Move on Saturday.Celebrity Paula Abdul came to host the final hour of Bust a Move on Saturday. (CBC)

For the second year in a row people in Halifax on Saturday were sweating for a good cause.

Bust a Move is a six-hour workout broken down into six fitness sessions including yoga and zumba. This year the money raised by participants will help retrofit a women's breast health centre, so it can be a one-stop service centre for patients.

The event, which began in the morning, is put on by the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre Foundation and the IWK foundation. The fundraiser takes place at the new Canada Games Centre in Clayton Park.

Saturday's fundraiser will see 800 participants that each had to raise $1,000 to take part. Last year, 750 people raised $1.1 million to buy a digital mammography machine.

Last year fitness celebrity Richard Simmons took part.

This year it's Paula Abdul's turn to host the final fitness class.

Bill Bean, the CEO of the QEII Foundation, says a key part of the event are the corporate donations.

"Our sponsors' money go to the expenses of the event. We try to maximize that so that a majority, if not all of the money raised by participants, goes toward the cause. That's the beauty of this event," Bean said.

While corporate sponsorship is down this year, Bean said his organization has received more than $250,000 so far.

Bean said he's still waiting to hear from a few more sponsors. The total cost of the fundraiser is $300,000.

-Harlington-
Jul 26, 2012, 2:57 AM
Toronto raptors training camp to be held here-
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/120789-raptors-coming-to-halifax-in-fall