PDA

View Full Version : Any rumours or new info on Hard Rock Cafe return to Dallas?

Major AWACS
Aug 8, 2008, 3:57 AM
(and spare us all the 'hard rock' sucks, glad it's gone, bad corporate cafe, 'I go to the local stage for music' posts-This is just about a corporate decisions not quality of business, etc.)

I had heard the Hard Rock Cafe closed in Dallas back in the spring, but chatting with a Dallasite friend today, the topic came up (as I was at one with some business folks in Atlanta this afternoon), and he had heard rumours of HRC possible putting in a Hard Rock Hotel/Cafe somewhere in Dallas.

Anyone in the Fort Worth/Dallas area heard anything about this? Location? I'm curious.

Thanks.

Ciao,
AWACS

oldmanshirt
Aug 8, 2008, 4:12 AM
Well, why did they close in the first place? It would seem Dallas would be able to support just about any restaurant/venue you could throw at it, so it does seem odd that it would close.

Major AWACS
Aug 8, 2008, 4:17 AM
Not sure, I had been there to see a Beatles tribute once and it was packed.

Houston and Dallas had two of the first Hard Rocks after they started US expansion back in the 80s (Houston's was on Kirby for many years and then moved Downtown to Bayou Place). Dallas' closed in March that is all I heard from friends. Austin had one for a few years but it closed.
San Antonio still has one.

Ciao,
AWACS

jacobjohnson
Aug 8, 2008, 3:40 PM
The Dallas Observer looked into a possible new Hard Rock location in Dallas and they got a response from Hard Rock saying that they are looking into a Hard Rock Hotel/Entertainment Complex

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2008/06/a_very_curious_note_this.php

Update to the Update: At 9:25 a.m., Amanda Early, another publicist for Hard Rock, sends the official word: It's a go. Dunno where, dunno when. But Hard Rock returns. As in:

Below please find the statement released on behalf of Hard Rock International regarding plans for Hard Rock Cafe Dallas.

We believe that Dallas, and surrounding areas, are important markets for Hard Rock International.

We are actively exploring other opportunities in the area, including a Hard Rock Hotel/entertainment complex and more strategic locations for a Hard Rock Cafe in this market. A number of locations are currently under consideration.

We expect to return to the Dallas market, at the right time in the right location.

Hopefully they stick to central Dallas or even central Fort Worth and not Plano, Arlington, Grapevine, Frisco, Las Colinas.... etc any other leeching suburb I missed

MichaelB
Aug 8, 2008, 6:40 PM
Ah, Dallas! Of course! Please, take it! You are right, that is a smart business decision. Austin never was.

Raining Inside
Aug 8, 2008, 6:58 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Hard Rock Cafes. But I do like the one on the River Walk.

NThomas
Aug 8, 2008, 9:06 PM
The West End would be a great spot if they choose to relocate in/near DTD. The empty site north of the new Corgan Associates headquarters on Houston St would be close enough to Victory Park and large enough for a restaurant/hotel/venue.

DFW LUV
Aug 9, 2008, 9:23 PM
Thanks for the update Jacob!

The Hotel-Entertainment complex in the West End district, with a House of Blues already nearby on Lamar; would be a great step forward in reviving nightlife downtown.

Downtown Ft Worth is ripe for a Hard Rock Cafe.

Tex1899
Aug 9, 2008, 9:26 PM
They seem to be (re)locating towards entertainment-type areas, thus the one in Houston moving from Kirby to Bayou Place and the one in Boston moving to Fanueil Hall - yes, I'm fairly sure that is spelled incorrectly.

My bet is somewhere around Victory.

I collect pins; I'll be hitting up Lake Tahoe in a few weeks and, in the process, adding IAH-RNO and OAK-IAH to my flightmemory, a few weeks before the flights cease.

NThomas
Aug 12, 2008, 6:32 AM
Downtown Ft Worth is ripe for a Hard Rock Cafe.

I could see there being a HRC in Sundance Square or somewhere near the CC along with a Dallas location. Anyone else think the market is big enough?

urbanactivist
Aug 12, 2008, 1:56 PM
I agree with DFW LUV... go Ft. Worth!!!!!

sakyle04
Aug 12, 2008, 4:04 PM
I could see there being a HRC in Sundance Square or somewhere near the CC along with a Dallas location. Anyone else think the market is big enough?

the market is "big enough" but they'll never cannibalize their own brand like that. HRC can't afford to dilute the experience with multiple locations in one metro, even one as big and rich as dfw.

DFW LUV
Aug 12, 2008, 10:41 PM

Mentioning two locations is wishful thinking on my part. I envision them choosing one site.

This HRI project has Arlington (the biggest leeching 'burb ever!) written all over it. The ammenities there are undeniable with both Six Flags parks, Cowboys and Rangers stadiums, UT-A, proximity to Dallas and Ft Worth... yada yada yada... I so hope I'm wrong about this.

NThomas
Aug 13, 2008, 9:05 AM
Mentioning two locations is wishful thinking on my part. I envision them choosing one site.

This HRI project has Arlington (the biggest leeching 'burb ever!) written all over it. The ammenities there are undeniable with both Six Flags parks, Cowboys and Rangers stadiums, UT-A, proximity to Dallas and Ft Worth... yada yada yada... I so hope I'm wrong about this.

I've always seen Arlington as DFW's Oakland. This could happen :( With the Texas Blues Museum (and venue) opening next to JerryWorld... Eep.

KevinFromTexas
Aug 13, 2008, 8:49 PM
I've always seen Arlington as DFW's Oakland. This could happen :( With the Texas Blues Museum (and venue) opening next to JerryWorld... Eep.

Worse than if it was DFW's San Jose? A suburb larger than the main city? :haha: Poor San Francisco.

oldmanshirt
Aug 13, 2008, 11:24 PM
Worse than if it was DFW's San Jose? A suburb larger than the main city? :haha: Poor San Francisco.

Not to get off topic, but this kinda brings up the question: What happens if/when Ft. Worth surpasses Dallas in population? Will it be looked at similarly?

Tex1899
Aug 14, 2008, 12:36 AM
the market is "big enough" but they'll never cannibalize their own brand like that. HRC can't afford to dilute the experience with multiple locations in one metro, even one as big and rich as dfw.

Actually they have 2 in San Diego (downtown and La Jolla), and at one time had 3 in the LA area (Beverly Center, Hollywood, and Newport Beach). But yes, usually they have only one in each major area. Toronto with their Skydome (it's not called that anymore) location gives them two and I think Tokyo actually has 3. And there's a new one at SIN, for whatever reason. Another reason to try Singapore Airlines...

If I had to guess I'd say the Dallas location closed due to its location. I doubt very seriously they'd put a location in Ft. Worth.

TexasBoi
Aug 14, 2008, 1:21 AM
Not to get off topic, but this kinda brings up the question: What happens if/when Ft. Worth surpasses Dallas in population? Will it be looked at similarly?

It is still the economic, financial, business, transportation, and marketing capital of that entire metro by far and that shows no signs of discontinuing so yes, Dallas will still be looked at similarly. It doesn't seem to hurt San Francisco. Besides, IMO, if Fort Worth does pass Dallas, we will be long gone.

jacobjohnson
Aug 14, 2008, 3:07 AM
As much as I love and respect FW, the truth is that even suburban locations like Las Colinas, Telecom Corridor, Dallas North Tollway/Legacy Corridor, have a greater economic importance and larger employment centers than the FW CBD. No matter what, the metroplex will always tilt towards Dallas.

JManc
Aug 14, 2008, 7:20 AM
is the one in san antonio (riverwalk) still open? can't imagine them staying out of the DFW market too long. austin, i'm surprised about seeing as it's the live music capital and all.

btw, except for this past year, i usually go to the one here in houston for new years.

KeepSanAntonioLame
Aug 14, 2008, 6:53 PM
is the one in san antonio (riverwalk) still open? can't imagine them staying out of the DFW market too long. austin, i'm surprised about seeing as it's the live music capital and all.

btw, except for this past year, i usually go to the one here in houston for new years.

The riverwalk one hasn't gone anywhere. :cheers:

DFW LUV
Aug 14, 2008, 7:22 PM
It is still the economic, financial, business, transportation, and marketing capital of that entire metro by far and that shows no signs of discontinuing so yes, Dallas will still be looked at similarly. It doesn't seem to hurt San Francisco. Besides, IMO, if Fort Worth does pass Dallas, we will be long gone.

Good points.

Land area is also a factor in Ft Worth ever catching Dallas in population. Dallas city has 50 square miles more than Ft Worth city. D 342 sm to FW 292 sm.