PDA

View Full Version : Crazy connection

hmagazine
Jul 30, 2008, 6:05 PM
Just thought I would share this truly great coincidence about a young local musician who is playing Mixed Media during the Art Crawl where not only his music is on display - but his portrait along with other paintings by Amy Kenny will grace the walls of our century storefront...

Aaron Goldstein says:

"Hey, get a load of this insanity -

My great-grandfather brought his family from Russia sometime between 1911 and 1924 (my dad would have a more accurate date). They first settled in Cobalt, Ontario where he was an independent salesmen of Hudson's Bay Company goods to nickel miners there. They were only in Cobalt a few years and then moved to Hamilton. He opened a store called Deluxe Menswear on James Street and it was open until his death in the early 40's. Later, my grandfather opened the Empire Hat & Clothing Company a block away on James Street, and there were a couple other family stores in the area.

My dad grew up in Hamilton and then Dundas, then went to the University of Guelph and then moved to Toronto where I was born and raised. I moved here about 4 or 5 years ago to come to school and basically just stayed.

So I'm standing in Mixed Media today, at 174 James Street North, talking to owner Dave about some details for this Aug 8 and I figure, I should find out the addresses of the stores my family owned. So I text my dad and he replies, "Deluxe Menswear - 174 James Street North".

So I'm playing in the store that was once run by my great-grandfather, more than 70 years ago. Pretty intense man!"

http://www.myspace.com/espanolamusic

coalminecanary
Jul 30, 2008, 6:37 PM
Sweet -- any pictures of "then" and "now" floating around?

matt602
Jul 30, 2008, 6:38 PM
Wow that's awesome.

astroblaster
Jul 30, 2008, 8:49 PM
thats seriously awesome

Millstone
Jul 30, 2008, 9:15 PM
i have seriously never seen anything crazier

hmagazine
Jul 30, 2008, 9:38 PM
I think we can all agree that this is a feel good story.

I should have some vintage pics soon...