PDA

View Full Version : SPI-Possible 42-Story Condo

BrownsvilleTx
Jul 21, 2008, 2:50 PM
Part of an article regarding the fate of the Ocean Tower Condo and future highrises was think comment by the mayor of SPI

Ocean Tower project in limbo
Comments | Recommend
July 20, 2008 - 12:02AM
By ALLEN ESSEX/Valley Morning Star

SOUTH PADRE ISLAND - Opinions differ on whether the stalled Ocean Tower project north of the city limits has potential to discourage other development, but local officials all say they would like to see the leaning structure repaired and completed.
Island Mayor Robert Pinkerton said a variance has just been approved for a 42-story building next to Isola Bella.

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/tower_31026___article.html/franke_ocean.html

Nothing more was mentioned about this. Hopefully more info will come out in the months ahead.

Texas Tuff
Jul 21, 2008, 9:16 PM
Sounds interesting. Maybe they'll come out with some renderings for the new 42 story tower soon! As far as the Ocean Tower is concerned, I sure hope they get that back on track or level it. An unfinished tower of that size would be a real eyesore.

ArizonaGuy
Jul 23, 2008, 12:05 AM
Sounds interesting. Maybe they'll come out with some renderings for the new 42 story tower soon! As far as the Ocean Tower is concerned, I sure hope they get that back on track or level it. An unfinished tower of that size would be a real eyesore.

How many stories up is Ocean Tower? And it's leaning? Anyone have any pictures on this?

Trae
Jul 23, 2008, 1:44 AM
SPI becoming Texas' little Miami Beach. :)

Texas Tuff
Jul 23, 2008, 2:11 AM
How many stories up is Ocean Tower? And it's leaning? Anyone have any pictures on this?

25 stories completed and I believe it's topped out. See the thread entitled "The Leaning Tower of SpSI" in this Texas/SouthCentral section below for photos and more info.

KevinFromTexas
Jul 23, 2008, 5:33 AM
You can't really tell that it's leaning. If that were the case it would be really bad and would likely have to be demolished. But this is only leaning a very, very small amount. The issue here is structural stress that it creates small cracks. Still a safety concern considering its location (Hello Dolly!) Anyway, it's likely more of an issue of long term problems with continuing leaning and more unsightly cracks.

Here's a pic of it from Flickr:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3184/2344754350_df84067e04_o.jpg
Photo by 3891txguy - http://www.flickr.com/photos/92895653@N00/

Trae
Jul 23, 2008, 5:36 AM
The only thing I see leaning is that license plate.

DougRockstead
Jul 23, 2008, 10:43 AM
I grew up down there and recently had to work a conference at the north end of the Island (Bahia Mar).

Is this that new 30 storystructure they are building on the north end of the Island? Going towards the end of FM 100 and the public auto access?
If so I have some better photos, I took back in May, I just need to download them from my digital camera and I can try and post them on here.

Doug

KevinFromTexas
Jul 23, 2008, 1:12 PM
I believe I've been hearing it's on the north end of the island, so that sounds right.

Emporis lists the building as being "across from the convention center". Not sure what that means exactly.

DougRockstead
Jul 23, 2008, 2:19 PM
I know which one it is, it's not really accross from the convention center it's a ways past it on the other side of FM 100.

However there's not much else out there on that end of the Island so once you get to the convetion center it's the only large building nearby.

It's part of some development that also has a bunch of condos/houses or something. Looks very swanky.. I didn't notice a lean when I was there a few months ago and it's disappointing, that thing looked as if it was almost complete. I can't imagine how hard it would be to correct the lean in something that tall...

BrownsvilleTx
Jul 25, 2008, 1:30 AM
Is this that new 30 storystructure they are building on the north end of the Island? Going towards the end of FM 100 and the public auto access?
If so I have some better photos, I took back in May, I just need to download them from my digital camera and I can try and post them on here.

Yup. That's it. It's right past the convention center. It's the only 30 story tower there. All others dont' pass the 14-story in that area.

DougRockstead
Jul 25, 2008, 4:48 AM
I'm out of town this week (the bustling metropolis of Big Spring Texas.. ha) and I'll be back in town tomorrow (Friday). I'll see about downloading those photos of the Island's architecture I took a few months ago, sometime this weekend.

Doug