Pages : [1] 2

Dmajackson
Jul 14, 2008, 5:23 PM
I figured we could do with a concert thread for HRM. In the paper this morning:

Elton John coming to Halifax
Pop star bringing tour to Metro Centre in September
By GREG GUY Arts&Life Editor
Mon. Jul 14 - 1:57 PM

Elton John will be making his Atlantic Canadian debut in Halifax in September, The Chronicle Herald has learned.

The Academy Award-winner and five-time Grammy-winning singer-composer-pianist will be performing solo for the first time at the Halifax Metro Centre on Sept. 26 and 27 as part of the 2008 tour Rocket Man — Number Ones.

Tickets go on sale 9 a.m. Friday and will cost $99.50 and $149.50, plus service charges. The price includes GST.

The Elton John AIDS Foundation will receive $2 from every ticket sold. Tickets will be available at the Ticket Atlantic box office at Halifax Metro Centre and at all participating Atlantic Superstore outlets. Charge by phone at 902-451-1221 or go online at www.ticketatlantic.com.

There will be a four-ticket limit per customer.

There had been speculation for several months that the Rocket Man was heading our way.

Fred MacGillivray, Trade Centre Ltd.’s president and CEO, said he and his team have been working for "many, many months" with Montreal-based Gillett Entertainment Group to bring these Elton John concerts to Halifax.

"This is a biggie," MacGillivray said Sunday. "We are absolutely thrilled to be hosting the fantastic Sir Elton John for two shows at the Halifax Metro Centre.

"He is such a huge draw. I expect it will sell out within minutes."

In June, tickets for Sir Elton’s concert in Regina sold out reportedly within four minutes. Between his gigs at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, he has been playing smaller Canadian arena shows in places like Sudbury and Kitchener. He plays Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg on his way to Atlantic Canada.

MacGillivray said the city has welcomed many top entertainers in the past and compared the Elton John concerts to the likes of the Rolling Stones and Garth Brooks.

"When we ask people what entertainer they would like to see, nine times out of 10, they will say Elton John," said MacGillivray, admitting that the British pop star has been high on the list of performers Metro Centre officials have been trying to land for years.

"I guess it’s been at least four or five years working through Gillett Entertainment that we wanted to get him here."

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer has also planned shows at Moncton Coliseum on Sept. 28 (with tickets on sale Saturday), Harbour Station in Saint John, N.B., on Sept. 30 (with tickets also on sale Saturday), and Mile One Centre in St. John’s, N.L., on Oct. 2 and 3 (with tickets on sale Friday).

Elton John has sold more than 200 million records, has had 29 consecutive Top 40 hits and has had 35 gold and 25 platinum albums.

In March 2007, he released Rocket Man — Number Ones, which debuted in the top 10 and features newly compiled and digitally mastered hits spanning the first three decades of his career.

Born Reginald Kenneth Dwight in March 1947, the young British singer was a piano prodigy, first hitting the keys at age three.

By 1967, he teamed up with Bernie Taupin, who became his longtime writing partner, and they recorded the tune Scarecrow. It was that year that Dwight changed his name to Elton John. He came up with it by combining the first name of saxophonist Elton Dean, who he played with in his first band, Blues-ology, and the name of British blues legend Long John Baldry.

By 1970, the John-Taupin tune Your Song, hit the U.S. top 10.

The flashy, flamboyant singer with the outrageous costumes and eyewear became a pop-rock superstar. He entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1998.

In December 2005, he entered a civil partnership with Toronto-born filmmaker David Furnish, who directed the documentary Elton John: Tantrums and Tiaras

phrenic
Jul 15, 2008, 12:06 PM
I wondering if I should try my luck waiting outside the metro centre, or if I should just go to the website and continuously hit refresh until 9am

terrynorthend
Jul 15, 2008, 2:02 PM
Don't bother going to the metro center. If it sells out in 5-6 minutes as predicted, the first 10 people in line MAY get tickets. Very frustrating if you ask me, watching the minutes tick by while the people at the window in front of you hum and haw over seat choices and try and decide whether to put it on the Visa or, wait no, the Mastercard for the airmiles.. Grrr!

phrenic
Jul 15, 2008, 3:40 PM
My plan was to be the first person in line, but I really don't know if I can stand waiting there for 12+ hours if there are other crazy people like me planning on doing the same thing.

terrynorthend
Jul 15, 2008, 6:32 PM
ooooHHH! so YOU plan on being the one in front of me holding up the line!! Lol
:jester:

phrenic
Jul 16, 2008, 5:15 PM
That'll be meeeeeeeeee.

Unless there are already a bunch of people in line when I get there. In that case, I'm going to turn around,go home and try my luck on the website.

Dmajackson
Jan 13, 2009, 8:25 PM
Kiss to 'Rock and Roll All Nite'... in Halifax?
JENNIFER TAPLIN, METRO HALIFAX
January 13, 2009 02:29

Rumours about glam rockers KISS coming to Halifax are solidifying.

An ad running this week in Metro says “Get ready,” with a picture of the iconic KISS makeup on a mask.

A very new website, Halifax Rocks, promises an official announcement “very, very soon.”

Reports of a KISS concert first came from the lips of bassist Gene Simmons last fall. He told news outlets they’re planning to do about 10 stops in the summer of ’09 with some Canadian shows.

“I know Halifax is one, but before you get out there and start the baseball season, they hold exhibition games, that’s what we’re doing. ’Cause once we go out, it’s going to be for a year and a half,” Simmons said.

Barrington south
Jan 14, 2009, 12:53 AM
Gene Simmons is coming to town...quick everyone hide you girlfriends and wives!

phrenic
Jan 14, 2009, 1:48 PM
KISS is apparently confirmed and the official announcement will be made soon. They could have a high-profile opening act join them, i.e. Rolling Stones with Kanye West.

Other acts in the rumor mill are:

U2 and AC/DC - AC/DC's new album is already out and they are supposed to go on another North American swing on their current world tour in late summer/fall. U2 has a new album coming out and will be touring for it.

However, rumor is that either of these two acts would be more likely to play Moncton than Halifax.

Bruce Springsteen was also rumored to be coming as he will have a new album out shortly. Although the date I heard was March 23rd...which seems less and less likely as time goes on without an announcement.

And perhaps the most promising rumor is an Elton John and Billy Joel concert. Both are going on a two year world tour together, and supposed Elton really liked Halifax...

hfx_chris
Jan 14, 2009, 11:42 PM
If U2 came, I might just wet myself with excitement.

Barrington south
Jan 15, 2009, 1:18 AM
Other acts in the rumor mill are:

U2 and AC/DC - AC/DC's new album is already out and they are supposed to go on another North American swing on their current world tour in late summer/fall. U2 has a new album coming out and will be touring for it.

However, rumor is that either of these two acts would be more likely to play Moncton than Halifax.

either U2 or AC/DC would be sweet!...seen U21 in 96' in the Skydome...definitely a good show...and I would be happy if either of them played Magnetic Hill... I saw the Stones there in 05' and man that was the best concert of my life!!..so much better that the Halifax gig, and not just because it was raining in Hali...the atmosphere and party's at Magnetic hill where out of this world! :banana:

Phalanx
Jan 19, 2009, 12:38 PM
AC/DC puts on an awesome live show. I'd love to see one...

Wishblade
Feb 2, 2009, 9:36 PM
from kissonline.com:

KISS TO ROCK HALIFAX

KISS will headline 'Halifax Rocks 2009' on July 18! The concert will take place at Halifax Commons Park in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Tickets go on sale to the general public on February 6th. A KISS ARMY Members-only ticket presale will run from Feb. 3 @ 11AM-EST to Feb. 5 @ 6PM-EST on KOL.

Both general admission and VIP tickets will be available. The VIP ticket area is special bleacher seating with a fantastic view, private VIP washrooms, catering and bar service.

Stay tuned to KOL for additional presale details.

hfx_chris
Feb 2, 2009, 10:20 PM
VIP washrooms and bar service? Dude. Sign me up.

Dmajackson
Feb 3, 2009, 9:30 PM
It's official: Kiss to play Halifax Commons in July

By STEPHEN COOKE Entertainment Reporter
Tue. Feb 3 - 4:28 PM

The Cat is finally out of the bag, along with the Demon, the Starchild and the Spaceman: Kiss is coming back to Halifax.

Concert promoter Harold MacKay announced at a media conference on Tuesday morning that the veteran makeup-and-leather clad classic rock act will headline Halifax Rocks 2009 on the Halifax Commons on Saturday, July 18, with a limit of 40,000 tickets going on sale this Friday.
“There’s a lot that’s been written and said about the types of music that Halifax wants to see, and what we keep hearing is it wants good ol’ rock ‘n’ roll,” said MacKay, who has been trying for two years to persuade Kiss to return to the Maritimes for the first time since the mid-’70s.

MacKay’s company, Power Promotional Events, produced last year’s Country Rocks 2008 show with Keith Urban, which drew about 25,000 and a series of all-star country concerts on Moncton’s Magnetic Hill.

Members of the Kiss Army have been crossing their fingers since November, when the band’s fire-breathing bassist Gene Simmons leaked the news that they’d be playing a series of Canadian dates this summer, specifically naming Halifax as one of the stops. Over the past few weeks, newspaper ads featuring the distinctive Kiss kabuki-style makeup designs have been directing the curious to a Halifax Rocks 2009 website.

On Monday, the website kissonline.com revealed the event was a go as well as the Friday sale date. The show will feature the current KISS lineup of band founders Simmons and Paul Stanley, with drummer Eric Singer and guitarist Tommy Thayer, plus four other major rock acts whose names will be released in the coming weeks.

“Obviously these will be rock and roll bands, there won’t be any rap acts on the bill,” said MacKay. “Actually, Gene Simmons has made it very clear in the contract that they must approve all of the bands that play for us.

“One of the things we hope to do is have a battle of the bands contest with the help of our media partners, which will allow us to have a local act open the show. We did that in Moncton and it worked very well.”

Power Promotional Events is working with Events Halifax to produce the day-long event, while Halifax Regional Municipality will provide services — including transit, policing and off-site cleanup — up to a cost of $150,000. Grant MacDonald of Events Halifax predicted the concert would “provide economic spinoffs in themillions of dollars,” while the combination of Kiss and the Tall Ships Nova Scotia Festival 2009 that same weekend would keep downtown hotels, restaurants and shops busy.

As with previous Commons concerts like the Rolling Stones in 2006 and Country Rocks 2008, there are concerns over damage to the turf on the downtown green space; however District 12 councillor Dawn Sloane said after the conference that the municipality is learning from previous experience how to reduce their impact on the area.

“We’ll be striving to make sure the effect on the Commons is minimal, and maintain good communication with the residents around the Commons,” explained Sloane. “There’s always room for improvement, but I’m pretty comfortable that this will be a success for the downtown core.”

Tickets on Friday will be at an “early bird” price of $89 (including taxes) for general admission and $279 (including taxes) for a limited number of VIP area tickets. They will be available via the Ticket Atlantic box office (451-1221 or www.ticketatlantic.com) and select Atlantic Superstore outlets.

==============================================================================================================================

So the one question remains is who are the other four bands that are playing?

One thing's for sure between the Tall Ships and this on the same weekend Halifax will be the "place to be".

phrenic
May 20, 2009, 4:44 PM
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9011867.html

Heard the rumor about this one a month ago and to be honest I didn't expect it to materialize.

It's a busy summer for big shows in the Maritimes. I hope they don't all lose money.

Barrington south
May 21, 2009, 7:36 PM
Man Moncton has got us beat again!!! sure sir Paul is wicked and I'm gonna love seeing him, but our other big show is Kiss....who suck A**.....moncton have AC/DC and Bon Jovi....and while neither of them by there self would be more appealing that Sir Paul....the combination of the two is a victory for moncton...IMO.....also moncton Trumped us last year by getting the Eagles....while we where left with Keith Urban...:rolleyes: ....even when the had the stone concert in 05 the back up acts where The Tragically Hip, Our Lady Peace, and Maroon5...In the Halifax show it was Kanya West:koko: and Alice Cooper

Nilan8888
May 21, 2009, 8:10 PM
I dunno. Monton has something with AC/DC, sure, but frankly they can keep Bon Jovi after he plays "Dead or Alive". If I have to hear "Always" again I'll throw my radio across the room.

I never did like hard rock schmaltz, and Bon Jovi tends towards too much of that.

Barrington south
May 21, 2009, 8:16 PM
ya, you made a good point about Bon Jovi...AC/DC, puts on a killer show though...at SARS stock, they put the headliners.......The Rolling Stones no less..to shame.......Sir Paul is gonna be wicked though...can't Wait......

phrenic
May 21, 2009, 8:47 PM
Personal musical tastes aside, McCartney is undeniably by far the biggest of the major acts to hit the Maritimes this summer (arguably ever)...so bravo Halifax.

AC/DC will be wicked and are still a huge band but Sir Paul is a level above them.

Bon Jovi and KISS? They both have their merits and they are both still very big acts (Bon Jovi especially), but they've both been here at some point before so I didn't have the "Holy shit I can't believe they're playing here!" kind of reaction.

I'm interested to see how these bigger shows effect the concerts on the hill (Virgin Fest and the Canadian forces one). Virgin will still probably be fine but I don't know about the Chickenfoot/Second rate Canadian bands show.

Barrington south
May 21, 2009, 8:58 PM
Sir Paul concert will be the only Canadian date...which is another great achievement. for Hali...man I wish AC?DC was playing hali though.....to me, Kiss has as much rock an roll credit as the partridge family

hfx_chris
May 21, 2009, 9:33 PM
Man Moncton has got us beat again!!! sure sir Paul is wicked and I'm gonna love seeing him, but our other big show is Kiss....who suck A**....
That's a rather subjective statement to make as if it were fact...personally I think Halifax has Moncton beat. I would much rather see KISS or Paul McCartney than either AC/DC or Bon Jovi.

Barrington south
May 21, 2009, 9:49 PM
I would much rather see KISS than AC/DC .

:haha:

man, I always knew you and i where from different planets....but apparently we're also from different galaxy's

but after thinking about what Nilan and phrenic said, I have to agree with them....McCartney is Huge....more so than AC/DC...(I still love them though) and Halifax has indeed come out on top this year....especially considering this is his only Canadian date....nice job Hali!!!

Empire
May 21, 2009, 11:51 PM
I bet Springsteen plays the commons before mag hill.

q12
May 27, 2009, 10:27 PM
From the Trade Centre Limited LINK newsletter • May 2009

Congratulations to Halifax Metro Centre for placing in the top 100 arena/venues worldwide. Each year, POLLstar magazine ranks the top 100 venue arenas worldwide based on ticket sales. This year, Halifax Metro Centre placed in the 88th spot. A big thank you to the promoters and fans, for helping us place in the Top 100.

View the POLLstar top 100 here. http://www.tradecentrelimited.com/site-tcl/media/tradecentrelimited/Top%20100%20Arenas.pdf

MonctonRad
May 27, 2009, 11:32 PM
That's a rather subjective statement to make as if it were fact...personally I think Halifax has Moncton beat. I would much rather see KISS or Paul McCartney than either AC/DC or Bon Jovi.

Personally, I would call it a draw this year. Sir Paul is HUGE but KISS kinda sucks the big one.

For my money (and using my math); AC/DC + Bon Jovi = KISS + Sir Paul :)

mmmatt
May 28, 2009, 1:57 AM

The good thing is that all 4 acts have a different type of fan base, but all are great in their own way...personally I feel AC/DC will be the biggest concert in Atlantic Canada this year, as it could go upwards of 80,000 and I'm not sure if the commons can hold that many...but I could be wrong.

In terms of worldwide popularity Sir Paul obviously has AC/DC beat, but in this area I'm not so sure. Plus don't forget Bon Jovi has the highest grossing tour in the would right now.

Worldwide album sales for the main 4 concerts this year:

Paul McCartney - 1 Billion + (The Beatles alone hit this mark...so add to that Wings and his solo career...crazy stuff)
AC/DC - 200 Million +
Bon Jovi - 120 Million
KISS - 85 million

Haliguy
May 28, 2009, 3:02 AM
The good thing is that all 4 acts have a different type of fan base, but all are great in their own way...personally I feel AC/DC will be the biggest concert in Atlantic Canada this year, as it could go upwards of 80,000 and I'm not sure if the commons can hold that many...but I could be wrong.

In terms of worldwide popularity Sir Paul obviously has AC/DC beat, but in this area I'm not so sure. Plus don't forget Bon Jovi has the highest grossing tour in the would right now.

Paul McCartney - 1 Billion + (The Beatles alone hit this mark...so add to that Wings and his solo career...crazy stuff)
AC/DC - 200 Million +
Bon Jovi - 120 Million
KISS - 85 million

I think ACDC will get a big crowd, but Paul McCartney could be larger just by the fact its the only tour date in all of North America so it may get people coming from all over the continent...but who knows and who cares really both will be huge.

City_of_Lakes
May 28, 2009, 1:46 PM
haha, i will be working at Paul McCartney selling beer :cheers:

hfxfan
May 30, 2009, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=moncton Trumped us last year by getting the Eagles....while we where left with Keith Urban...:rolleyes: [/QUOTE]

The Keith Urban concert wasa great show. Keith is a fantastic entertainer. Too bad so few people went....

hfxfan
May 30, 2009, 12:27 AM

AC/DC - 200 Million +
Bon Jovi - 120 Million
KISS - 85 million

I understand that AC/DC has leveled off at 48,000. Bon Jovi is selling really slowly. Probably explains why it is being pushed on radio all day long in Halifax. Never heard any other concerts in Moncton advertised as much.

Has anyone heard any first days numbers on Sir Paul?

Dmajackson
Aug 1, 2009, 3:56 AM
Commons may become more concert-ready

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE Staff Reporter
Fri. Jul 31 - 4:46 AM
The Halifax Commons — it’s many things to many people.

To residents, it’s a placid, green oasis in the middle of the city.

Carefree children love to play there with their parents, whether it’s Frisbee tossing, kite flying or just a game of catch. Tourists might use the wide open park for a leisurely stroll.

The homeless have slept under its bushes, and the stars.

To music business operators, and government employees trying to lure major artists to the city, the Commons is a terrific concert site. It’s been a popular place these last few years where "special events" have been held in front of thousands of ticket buyers.

Now, there’s a move afoot, between city hall and the province, to consider designating the Halifax Commons a permanent performance venue. The idea doesn’t mean erecting a stage and bleachers, but it could mean hooking up the park to the power grid for a permanent source of electricity, Mayor Peter Kelly said Thursday.

He noted that no decision has been made. In fact, Halifax regional council is still waiting for a post-mortem from municipal staff on the use of the park for successive shows put on by Sir Paul McCartney and Kiss earlier this month.

"There is discussion around the need to power up the Commons," Mr. Kelly told The Chronicle Herald. "In other words, rather than bring in two or three generators (for music events), if it is to remain a focal point for major concerts then the need to power up (the site) is very much in the forefront."

Mr. Kelly said how that might come about has yet to be determined.

Though it’s a large urban space available to citizens for their enjoyment, the Halifax Commons over the decades has been used by private enterprise. A portion of it was even paved over, in the 1990s, for a turn needed for the Moosehead Grand Prix car race.

Local park lovers, such as members of the Friends of the Halifax Common, lament the commercial encroachment. The group’s website pays tribute to the park’s past and voices concern over its future.

The Friends say city hall has essentially "ignored" its own management plan for the Commons, a blueprint devised in 1994 after a public outcry stemming from the now-defunct Moosehead Grand Prix.

And this newspaper, in an editorial published last September, chastised the city for temporarily snatching sections of the park for business reasons.

"If an outdoor venue for entertainment events is important — and it surely is — then the city should find an appropriate place, develop it as necessary, and leave the Commons alone to be enjoyed by everyone, all year long," the editorial said. "For many, many Haligonians, that would be progress."

Scott Ferguson, of Trade Centre Ltd., the provincial Crown corporation charged with attracting economic opportunities to Halifax Regional Municipality and beyond, said the Commons is becoming known in concert circles as a top-drawer venue.

He told News 95.7 Thursday there have been talks between his agency and city hall with respect to looking at the site as a permanent spot for large shows. That would mean getting the Commons hooked up to the power grid in the future, Mr. Ferguson told the radio station.

Mr. Kelly, who’s on the board of directors at Trade Centre Ltd., acknowledged "there have been some discussions in terms of working collectively and collaboratively with (the agency) to continue to look for opportunities to bring high-calibre acts to HRM."

But nothing is etched in stone, the mayor said, regarding having the Commons singled out as a permanent concert site.

( mlightstone@herald.ca )

terrynorthend
Aug 3, 2009, 5:30 PM
I understand that AC/DC has leveled off at 48,000. Bon Jovi is selling really slowly. Probably explains why it is being pushed on radio all day long in Halifax. Never heard any other concerts in Moncton advertised as much.

Has anyone heard any first days numbers on Sir Paul?

Well, its a little time past now.. but I believe the numbers on Sir Paul were in the 50-60K range (inside the venue) I live on the commons and saved myself $100 by wandering around the perimeter. Along with another 10-20K (including people on Citadel hill. Cogswell Street (which Police ended up closing to traffic), Robie and North Park, plus hanging out of the surrounding buildings.

That's a good and a bad thing for the Halifax venue. In Moncton, you're either in or you're out. So its good for us cheapo's in Halifax and bad for the promoters..maybe. From my personal experience, if I watch it from outside, its a concert I wouldn't have forked the money over for anyways. But at least I get a taste of the spectacle. Because of this, when it is the right artist for me, i'll pay to get inside, so I think the promoters are losing less than it would seem. And the central location and unavoidable non-paying audience is at least good for the promoter's visiblity and marketing.

AC/DC will no doubt be a big concert for Moncton. I doubt they will get the numbers they had for the Rolling Stones.. 60K sounds like the top number to me, maybe more, maybe less A lot will depend on the weather and walk-up business (not to as great an extent as in Halifax, since walk-up business depends largely on local population). The 80K figure Moncton had for the Rolling Stones is unlikely to happen again. It had a lot to do with being the first (and what was thought at the time) possibly a once only. One big concert of a lifetime. They wouldn't have gotten those figures for example if Halifax had known it would host a second Stones concert a year later. A lot of people went just for the experience. Four years later, the public is more complacent. We expect big concerts, several, every summer, and hold out for the right one in the right place.

As for KISS, Bon Jovi, the country concerts, and the various "slam-jam-sault-palooza-fests", 25-30K is probably the best we can collectively muster. On a side note, kudos to Quebec City for dragging out 90K fans to KISS a couple days before Halifax! Those crazy Francophonie!!

It'll take the top A-list acts like U2 or Madonna to pull off numbers in the 60-80K range again. And i'm not convinced they are coming or even on the radar.

Dmajackson
Aug 4, 2009, 2:40 AM
Rock Fest rocks crowd
Thousands turn out for Natal Day weekend concert on Citadel Hill
By STEPHEN COOKE Entertainment Reporter
Mon. Aug 3 - 4:46 AM

This summer’s outdoor concert overload didn’t appear to be an issue Sunday at the Canadian Forces Halifax Rock Fest on the Garrison Grounds on Citadel Hill, which were bathed in blazing August sunshine.

Hard rock fans turned out by the thousands for CanRock stars like Our Lady Peace, Finger Eleven and Halifax-rooted act Sloan, plus the all-star combo Chickenfoot, featuring singer Sammy Hagar and guitar-slinger Joe Satriani, for a Natal Day weekend show meant to bring together members of the civilian and military communities.

Video greetings from Canadians serving overseas played on giant video screens between bands, and the show itself was recorded for later broadcast to troops in the field, with a video booth available for anyone who wanted to send along messages of support.

A fair-sized crowd had already assembled on the hill by the time Cape Breton trio Pink Thunder kicked off the day with some energetic pop/rock from a teen perspective.

Chosen out of 54 hopefuls in the Next Great Atlantic Rock Band competition, St. Peter’s sisters Barbara and Victoria Cameron (on guitar and bass, respectively) and drummer/keyboardist Olivia Adlakha showed why their reputation for fun, hook-filled songs is growing.

Aside from a strategically chosen cover of Cyndi Lauper’s Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Pink Thunder stuck to original material like the current single Real Loud, with Victoria wailing on vocals for all she’s worth, and the tongue-in-cheek track that first got them attention on MySpace and the local airwaves, the aptly titled Radio Friendly.

Despite a few rough edges in their live set, the Camerons know how to put a pop song together and their obvious desire to be in front of a crowd should tighten up their performances even further in the near future.

Expat rockers Sloan, on the other hand, were enjoyably loose, thanks to singer and bassist Chris Murphy’s broken collar bone and the drafting of keyboardist Greg Macdonald and friend and former Halifax musician Kevin Hillier (Grace Babies, National Anthem) to switch around between bass, drums and the big old Hammond organ at the back of the stage.

Murphy didn’t let having his left arm in a sling interfere with his microphone swinging or tambourine tossing, and it didn’t affect his voice any, with fine lead vocal performances on The Rest of My Life and The Other Man, and intact harmonies with Patrick Pentland on Losing California and Jay Ferguson on The Lines You Amend.

"Let me show you the break, it’s disgusting," teased Murphy, tugging at the neck of his T-shirt. "I got hit by a car while riding my bike, and Jay called 911 and saved my life.

"I don’t want to say I’m a hero, but . . . . " grinned Murphy, as an appropriate intro to Andrew Scott’s Emergency 911, a punk raver from the latest release, Parallel Play. Although nobody got a medal, Sloan was inducted into the Q104 Rock of the Atlantic Wall of Fame, joining East Coast rock pioneers April Wine, the Great Scots and Matt Minglewood.

From Sloan’s bright and hooky pop/rock, Rock Fest’s pendulum swung sharply the other way for a brooding set by Burlington’s Finger Eleven, who for a long stretch seemed to be mandated by law to appear on the bill of a multi-band outdoor show in Halifax every year.

The group has gone on to greater success since the days of Edgefest and Snow Jam, with its 2007 release Them vs. You vs. Me picking up a Juno Award for rock album of the year and going gold in the United States, warranting a return visit.

"Every time we play Halifax, we go out drinking the night before and start talking about how we should move here," said singer Scott Anderson.

Besides Anderson’s mournful growl, delivered with a stance reminiscent of Joe Cocker, highlights included James Black’s staccato guitar bursts adding extra sparks to Falling On and sharp-dressed drummer Rich Beddoe thrashing about behind his kit at pretty much any time during the set.

An even bigger exodus from the hillside toward the stage took place when Our Lady Peace struck its first few chords, with singer Raine Maida leading his quartet through rearranged fan favourites like Superman’s Dead and Is Anybody Home? as well as a handful of tracks from the new release Burn Burn.

After an acknowledgement of Canada’s people in uniform by Admiral Paul Madison and Defence Minister Peter MacKay, headliners Chickenfoot came out with the thunderous Avenida Revolucion. The song’s chorus of "crossing the borderline, into the fire" refers to illegal Mexican immigrants but it could just as well be referring to the dangers faced by troops in Afghanistan. Chad Smith’s rapid-fire drumming and Satriani’s eerie guitar fills only enhanced the imagery.

Soap on a Rope and Sexy Little Thing were more typical Hagar party anthems, but lit up by Satch’s fretboard fireworks, from elaborate hammer-ons to straight up bluesy solos, with some amiable interplay with Hagar’s former Van Halen band mate Michael Anthony on bass.

Promising to play "until they force us to stop" Hagar worked the crowd like a crazed motivational speaker, shaking his blond locks and emitting lung-shredding screams. If he wanted a second career as a drill sergeant, I’m sure there were some people backstage who would be only to happy to oblige him.

( scooke@herald.ca)

Dmajackson
Aug 14, 2009, 1:18 AM
Snoop Dogg to play Halifax Sept. 13

By OUR STAFF
Thu. Aug 13 - 12:20 PM

Snoop Dogg is coming to Halifax. Fo' shizzle.

The legendary rapper, producer and raconteur will play Halifax's Metro Centre on Sept. 13 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $54.50 and $44.50 and go on sale Friday morning at 9.

Snoop will be promoting his 2008 release Ego Trippin' and will be bringing his band the Snoopadelics to town.

The Dogg's new album Malice in Wonderland will be released in November.

Tickets are available at the Metro Centre box office, select Atlantic Superstore outlets, ticketatlantic.com or at sonicconcerts.com.

( newsroom@herald.ca )

haligonia
Apr 8, 2010, 7:30 PM
It was announced today that The Black Eyed Peas will play the common this summer! They're probably one of the biggest ( if not the biggest) pop group of the decade, and have made a massive comeback in 09/10. They may not get as big of crowds that have been seen on the common, mainly because this is a different demographic, but they're still an iconic group. On the downside, $100 is a bit pricey.

kph06
Apr 8, 2010, 8:00 PM
They still have the Friday night rock show to announce, hopefully they will be able to draw the big crowd. I'm concered The Black Eyed Peas won't get the crowd the commons are ideal for and therefore rekindle the debate over concerts on the commons yet again. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Black Eyed Peas would be more suited for Citadel Hill.

terrynorthend
Apr 8, 2010, 8:32 PM
They still have the Friday night rock show to announce, hopefully they will be able to draw the big crowd. I'm concered The Black Eyed Peas won't get the crowd the commons are ideal for and therefore rekindle the debate over concerts on the commons yet again. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Black Eyed Peas would be more suited for Citadel Hill.

My fears exactly.

cormiermax
Apr 8, 2010, 10:10 PM
Id say even the Metro Center would be more appropriate.

planarchy
Apr 9, 2010, 1:53 AM
I'm concered The Black Eyed Peas won't get the crowd the commons are ideal for and therefore rekindle the debate over concerts on the commons yet again. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Black Eyed Peas would be more suited for Citadel Hill.

Exactly. To think that Halifax can pull of regular outdoor concerts of 50,000 plus is naive. In general, there are not a lot of acts that can pull a crowd like this in, especially given the cost of tickets, and from the rather small population we draw from. But to have a venue to comfortably and efficiently accomodate crowds half that size would be a much smarter approach for Halifax - and this is somewhere where they really could create a reputation for this type of outdoor show in the middle of the city. Outdoor shows of 50,000 or more are more the sort of summer festival circuit and better handled by a location outside of the city, but making use of a good public transit system in the nearby city to bring people to and from the event site.

phrenic
Jun 10, 2010, 4:13 PM
While it likely won't compare to McCartney or the Stones, the BEP show will have a much bigger draw than the Kid Rock one.

Keith P.
Jun 10, 2010, 9:49 PM
While it likely won't compare to McCartney or the Stones, the BEP show will have a much bigger draw than the Kid Rock one.

Hope they bring their Autotune.

phrenic
Jun 11, 2010, 1:07 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad I'm moving off the commons and to the North End before this summer's madness starts.

something_witty
Jun 11, 2010, 1:58 PM
I'll be heading to the cottage that weekend for sure. Not that I mind the noise, but that I hate BEP & Kid Rock with such a passion.

fenwick16
Jul 25, 2010, 4:25 PM
What would be considered to be the top shows in North America. I am somewhat out of touch with current music so I will just mention a few, maybe some of the younger generation could help me out with a list of performers that Halifax should try to get. Here is my short list:

1) U2
2) Eric Clapton
3) Lady Gaga

JustinMacD
Jul 25, 2010, 4:52 PM
U2
Bruce Springsteen
ACDC

..would all be incredible.

halifaxboyns
Jul 25, 2010, 7:23 PM
U2
Bruce Springsteen
ACDC

Wouldn't Kiss be in there somewhere?
Lillith Fair is a joke; it's done and was really badly organized this year.

RyanNS
Jul 25, 2010, 7:45 PM
What would be considered to be the top shows in North America. I am somewhat out of touch with current music so I will just mention a few, maybe some of the younger generation could help me out with a list of performers that Halifax should try to get. Here is my short list:

1) U2
2) Eric Clapton
3) Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga actually played Alderney Landing two years ago as part of the Summer Rush Tour.

fenwick16
Jul 25, 2010, 10:04 PM
Lady Gaga actually played Alderney Landing two years ago as part of the Summer Rush Tour.

Was it well attended? She seems to have become quite big over the past couple of years. In many ways she is like a young Cher as far as how she dresses and even her voice. One of her Youtube videos has 250,000,000 views - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lady+gaga&aq=f . Is Lady Gaga considered to be as big as bands like U2 and Eric Clapton? I get a really kick out of her video performances. She is a real performer.

Has Cher ever performed in Halifax?

RyanNS
Jul 27, 2010, 8:04 AM
Was it well attended? She seems to have become quite big over the past couple of years. In many ways she is like a young Cher as far as how she dresses and even her voice. One of her Youtube videos has 250,000,000 views - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lady+gaga&aq=f . Is Lady Gaga considered to be as big as bands like U2 and Eric Clapton? I get a really kick out of her video performances. She is a real performer.

Has Cher ever performed in Halifax?

I think it was, as have been all other Summer Rush concerts. This was actually in 2008, just before she "blew up". She actually wasn't even really considered the headliner for this.

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/scene/article/65024

fenwick16
Jul 27, 2010, 9:05 AM
I think it was, as have been all other Summer Rush concerts. This was actually in 2008, just before she "blew up". She actually wasn't even really considered the headliner for this.

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/scene/article/65024

Thanks for the link to the article. That was quite a lineup and only $25 dollars for tickets. Now that Lady Gaga has become so big, the Halifax area might have to wait until she is in her 60's before she will be back. It is good though that Dartmouth can say that Lady Gaga performed there.

fenwick16
Jul 30, 2010, 11:26 AM
This article was in the Chronicle Herald today. I highlighted some points that I thought were interesting - one is the point about it being more expensive to set up in Halifax because of a lack of a suitable stadium. Also, Mayor Kelly mentions bringing U2 to Halifax - it is good that it is being thought about. I think that U2 would be a big draw.

Province passed on Peas
Promoter asked for $700,000 to help cover concerts
By JEFFREY SIMPSON Provincial Reporter
Fri, Jul 30 - 6:14 AM

Will.i.am and Fergie of The Black Eyed Peas perform during the Halifax Rocks 2010 concert at the Halifax Commons last Saturday. (Ted Pritchard / Staff)
Will.i.am and Fergie of The Black Eyed Peas perform during the Halifax Rocks 2010 concert at the Halifax Commons last Saturday. (Ted Pritchard / Staff)

A local promoter who received public money for last year’s Paul McCartney concert on the Halifax Commons wanted more cash for his shows this summer.

Harold MacKay, who heads Power Promotional Concepts Inc. of Dartmouth, said he asked the Department of Economic and Rural Development earlier this year for $700,000 to fund last weekend’s concert that featured the Black Eyed Peas and another country show in August.

"We were just seeing if we could maybe trigger some investment," MacKay said in an interview Thursday. "We were asking for some level of funding."

MacKay said he wrote a letter in March to Percy Paris, the minister of Economic and Rural Development, because he wanted $400,000 for help with infrastructure costs related to this summer’s shows and $300,000 for advertising. Paris rejected the request.

MacKay said his two shows will generate between $15 million and $18 million in economic spinoffs for Halifax and the province through taxes and other means.

"It’s very smart for the province to invest in it," MacKay said. "We just thought it was appropriate."

MacKay said it’s more expensive to present big concerts in Halifax than in other places because there’s no stadium or other permanent infrastructure to use, so the shows have to be held outside and everything has to be set up for each event.

He said he gets tremendous support from the city and Mayor Peter Kelly.

Last year, the province risked $3.5 million to help MacKay bring the former Beatle to Halifax.

The Tourism Department under the previous Conservative government provided MacKay’s company with the money to cover McCartney’s fee. The cash was recouped through ticket sales but Nova Scotia taxpayers would have been left in the lurch if not enough people had attended the outdoor show on the Halifax Commons.

The province ended up spending $300,000 to help Trade Centre Ltd., a Crown corporation, provide logistical support for the show and another $300,000 on advertising for the show.

MacKay said the McCartney show generated about $2.8 million in HST revenue and that concert, combined with one a week later featuring Kiss, generated about $24 million for local businesses.

He has declined to release attendance figures for any of his shows or divulge how many tickets were given away free of charge but said the concert last weekend was set up for 30,000 people.

"It was a pretty full house," he said.

Premier Darrell Dexter said each request for public funding made by private promoters is weighed on its own merits.

"You evaluate all these things on kind of a case-by-case basis and you never say never," he said. "We decided not to participate in this program this year for a number of reasons — one of which is we don’t have any money.

"We’re looking for ways to be able to save money rather than find new ventures."

But Dexter said declining to fund this summer’s shows should not be interpreted as a judgment on the merits of the concerts, citing them as important for making Halifax a more happening place and a bigger draw for visitors.

"I’m appreciative of the work that they do," he said of concert promoters like MacKay.

"It’s great that Halifax can attract these kinds of acts. I’m hoping that it was successful for the promoter (but) it’s not up to the province to underwrite all of the risk."

Mayor Peter Kelly thinks presenting summer concerts on the Common is a worthwhile endeavour, providing the performers can attract a large audience.

He said acts that look like they’ll draw smaller crowds should perhaps be moved out of the park and over to Citadel Hill.

The mayor said municipal staff work with concert promoters to see which venue in Halifax would be most suitable. Kelly said a popular band like U2, the rock group from Ireland, would likely be slotted into the Common site — if it was booked to play here.

Less well-known artists could possibly go to the Garrison Grounds at the foot of Citadel Hill, he said, adding that the Garrison Grounds can probably accommodate between 25,000 and 30,000 people.

"We need to see how we can better utilize that venue . . . to the benefit of the promoters" and Halifax Regional Municipality, Kelly told The Chronicle Herald.

With Michael Lightstone, staff reporter

( jsimpson@herald.ca)

beyeas
Jul 30, 2010, 2:28 PM
Kelly said a popular band like U2, the rock group from Ireland, would likely be slotted into the Common site — if it was booked to play here.

I laughed my ass off that whoever wrote this thought that they had to further describe U2 as a "rock group from Ireland"! Seriously dude... you and the Heritage Trust Mafia about likely the only ones who would have otherwise confused U2 with someone else.

terrynorthend
Jul 30, 2010, 2:43 PM
Everyone wants U2 (promoters that is). My understanding is that even Tarlton can't get U2, so I doubt MacKay will get them. Their current 360 tour is only stageable in a football/soccer/athletics stadium (open fields and baseball parks are no good) The stage is an enormous 360 degree set, taking up most of a football field and requiring stadium seating on all sides. A broad argument could be made to stage it in the center of a large flat field, with temporary bleachers ringing the venue, but I doubt that promoters and agents for U2 have much appetite for the costs and logistics associated with that. Perhaps post 360 tour, a modified one off show on a proscenium arch could be staged, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

halifaxboyns
Aug 9, 2010, 11:04 PM
Looks like there is trouble a foot for concerts on the commons. There was something on the CBC news today about someone getting signatures for a petition.

It wasn't that she was upset about having events there (as she points out to the pow wow that recently occured); she (and those signing the petition) aren't happy with the access being blocked off for long periods.

My first thought was this generates money for the city so tough; but I thought about it some more. If sufficient pressure is put on these concert people to get things done and up/torn down fast - then you could still have them but the time it takes to but up and take down the concert venues could be reduced?

Keith P.
Aug 10, 2010, 1:14 PM
Looks like there is trouble a foot for concerts on the commons. There was something on the CBC news today about someone getting signatures for a petition.

It wasn't that she was upset about having events there (as she points out to the pow wow that recently occured); she (and those signing the petition) aren't happy with the access being blocked off for long periods.

Yes, she is one of the usual suspects who lives in the area that the CBC gives a disproportionate amount of airtime to in order to put forward her position that it is her backyard. I found it interesting that she had no difficulty with the native gathering there that also impeded access to the Common. Seems her problem is using it for an event that may or may not make money for the promoter, whereas she has no difficulty using it for an event that uses public money to give to certain chosen groups.

My first thought was this generates money for the city so tough; but I thought about it some more. If sufficient pressure is put on these concert people to get things done and up/torn down fast - then you could still have them but the time it takes to but up and take down the concert venues could be reduced?

I would suggest that the blocking off of the area is the city's fault. They could have chosen to insist that the concerts take place on back to back weekends as a condition of use, or any number of other strategies. In any event, it is largely a red herring. Half of the space has remained totally accessible the entire time, and the remainder could have easily had the sidewalks remain open around the perimeter with a little reconfiguration of the fencing -- again, HRM's fault. However, all of these minor issues become a huge cause celebre for the NIMBYs who live there, who really are quite parochial. Many of them termed this past weekend's country music event as "hickfest", a hugely offensive term. You can always count on the CBC to give them a platform to air their gripes.

Within reason, these concerts give a sense of much-needed vibrancy to the area and I congratulate the promoter on doing them.

phrenic
Aug 10, 2010, 1:16 PM
I have to say, I was at one point a huge supporter of the big commons shows. But there is a definite problem with the length of time things are being blocked off and with how long it takes to tear everything down and return the space to locals.

I don't live by the commons anymore so I can't comment on what equipment is still on the site from the weekend, but there were pieces of equipment still on the grounds more than a week after the KISS show last year. The stuff from this year's Pow Wow was almost completely removed 24 hours after the event ended.

I'm not saying they're a bad thing - they're not - but the set-up/tear-down process needs to be streamlined significantly.

-Harlington-
Aug 10, 2010, 3:22 PM
yeah, i know some people that play baseball at the commons on Thursdays but they couldn't play for the week during the pow wow or three weeks during the concerts because of them keeping them up, im still a supporter of these big shows because its great for our city but they might want to be a little quicker in taking the stuff down at least because there's only a few good weeks in summer.

phrenic
Aug 10, 2010, 4:53 PM
I just think it would help win over many of the naysayers if promoters like MacKay actually kept their word when it comes to "minimal disruption".

halifaxboyns
Aug 10, 2010, 5:05 PM
I just think it would help win over many of the naysayers if promoters like MacKay actually kept their word when it comes to "minimal disruption".

I agree; so them perhaps (if the election changes things) someone will hold him accountable? My suggestion would be to tighten the rules and give less time to break down and setup and see how it works.

The thing I liked about the story on CBC (with the woman collecting signatures - versus just the general naysayers) was that she pointed out about how the pow wow occured; but that it didn't cause a big disruption. If memory serves; she also said that if they could set up and take down quicker; that would be fine. So ultimately; she wasn't about no concerts, she was just about making sure that the park was open as much as possible.

terrynorthend
Aug 10, 2010, 9:33 PM

I wouldn't be too worried (as a supporter of mixed uses for the commons, including concerts). Comments to a recent CH article indicated a great deal of public support for concerts, and a lot of disdain towards the "whiners" who either can't or won't share this public space. The city has already committed, twice, to the use of the Commons for concerts on a regular basis. Once earlier this year in voting to use it on an ongoing basis, and then again knocking down a motion (21-2; Watts, Sloane) to revoke its use for concerts. The city has also committed to renovating the commons, which will include a very nice event plaza in that corner closest to Citadel Hill. Construction started earlier this year when they put in permanent utility access.

It would seem the naysayers' horses have already left the barn. Petition away, I say!

coolmillion
Mar 17, 2011, 4:50 AM
What do people think of the Power Promotions financing "scandal" that hit the media today? I'm actually not surprised by any of the revelations... frustrated and angry, but not surprised...

Keith P.
Mar 17, 2011, 10:45 AM
What disturbs me is not the fact that it occurred - it was obvious to anyone observing this most recent concert that it was a spectacular failure. What I am surprised about is how our esteemed Mayor set up a long-serving and loyal senior staff member as the fall guy and is blaming everyone but himself for what occurred.

Think about the timing of this: a couple of days before the concert the promoter walks in and says if you don't give us $400K, we're pulling out and leaving you holding the bag for $1.8 million. There is no way it can be brought before council and no way you can possibly follow process to get such a sum approved in 2 days. In such events it seems perfectly normal for the Mayor and CAO to make an emergency decision.

The problem is that the Mayor knew about it and told nobody. The Mayor, despite his attempt to spin it otherwise, was in agreement with it. Anstey, being a very careful lifelong bureaucrat and being on the job as Acting CAO for only 2 weeks, would never have done that on his own. Now the Mayor is attempting to save his own skin by forcing Anstey to announce he will retire and making noises that perhaps he will be fired before he is allowed to retire. The Mayor is also blaming his legal staff for not telling him that his was outside the bounds of the HRM Charter. I cannot accept that the Mayor did not know this from the start.

It is a despicable act by the Mayor and he should be ashamed of himself. Peter Kelly must resign.

wackypacky
Mar 17, 2011, 10:19 PM
What disturbs me is not the fact that it occurred - it was obvious to anyone observing this most recent concert that it was a spectacular failure. What I am surprised about is how our esteemed Mayor set up a long-serving and loyal senior staff member as the fall guy and is blaming everyone but himself for what occurred.

Think about the timing of this: a couple of days before the concert the promoter walks in and says if you don't give us $400K, we're pulling out and leaving you holding the bag for $1.8 million. There is no way it can be brought before council and no way you can possibly follow process to get such a sum approved in 2 days. In such events it seems perfectly normal for the Mayor and CAO to make an emergency decision.

The problem is that the Mayor knew about it and told nobody. The Mayor, despite his attempt to spin it otherwise, was in agreement with it. Anstey, being a very careful lifelong bureaucrat and being on the job as Acting CAO for only 2 weeks, would never have done that on his own. Now the Mayor is attempting to save his own skin by forcing Anstey to announce he will retire and making noises that perhaps he will be fired before he is allowed to retire. The Mayor is also blaming his legal staff for not telling him that his was outside the bounds of the HRM Charter. I cannot accept that the Mayor did not know this from the start.

It is a despicable act by the Mayor and he should be ashamed of himself. Peter Kelly must resign.

relax.........

Waye Mason
Mar 17, 2011, 11:08 PM
KP and I disagree on a lot of stuff, but not on core issues like this. Peter Kelly should resign. He has been caught lying, participating and directing the miss-use of funds against policy and provincial statute, and most damning, he has refused to accept responsibility for his well documented actions.

In our system, the Mayor has very little power, and a very short job description. In the Charter (an Act of the Province) the job is:

(3) The Mayor may

(a) monitor the administration and government of the Municipality; and

(b) communicate such information and recommend such measures to the Council as will improve the finances, administration and government of the Municipality.

Not much, and yet Peter couldn't pull this off. He was complicit in withholding information and misleading council, as clearly shown by Premier Dexter's revelation that the Mayor called the Premier stumping for money for the concerts the day before the "grant" was given to Power Promotions. The grant that 24 hours earlier Peter had denied having any knowledge of.

sdm
Mar 20, 2011, 11:26 PM
Kid Rock reps go after city
Agency says it will seek 'remedy' for cancelled concert
By PAT LEE Staff Reporter
Sun, Mar 20 - 1:44 PM

The agency representing Kid Rock sent a letter to Halifax councillors saying it plans to seek a 'remedy' for last summer's cancelled concert. CAA sent the letter after learning the city fronted money for the Black Eyed Peas concert, which went off as planned the next day. (CARLOS OSORIO/AP /File)

The agency that represents Kid Rock, whose show was axed last summer by Power Promotional Events, will seek a “remedy” for the failed venture in light of money fronted by the city to prop up the Black Eyed Peas concert the following night.

A representative for Creative Artists Agency faxed a letter to Halifax councillors on Friday night outlining the company’s grievances over the cancelled July 23 concert, which was to have also featured the Counting Crows and local acts the Stanfields and the Jimmy Swift Band.
The letter, obtained by The Chronicle Herald, said Nat Farnham of CAA contacted Mayor Peter Kelly by email on June 21 to ask the city to help save the show after Power Promotional's Harold MacKay said he was pulling the plug due to low ticket sales. The Kid Rock Show was to have been the first night of entertainment in a two-night event dubbed Halifax Rocks 2010.

“I know that the city is not a party to this deal,” he said in the email,” but I wanted to reach out to ask if you could help us prevent the engagement from being cancelled.”

“There are rumours that the city has thought about stepping in on the July 23 show — from what I hear, the July 24 show isn’t in great shape either …”

MacKay cancelled the Kid Rock show on June 30.

The letter, written by Angie Rho of CAA, doesn’t outline what the company expects from the HRM but said the agency will be pursuing the matter further.

CAA also represents other artists who were to perform that day in Halifax.

“In short, our clients are due a remedy for the festival’s breach of its promise to them,” she wrote.

Coun. Sue Uteck said Sunday she has seen the letter and plans to bring the issue before council on Tuesday.

She doesn’t know if CAA has a legal case, “but it’s clearly the first shot across the bow,” she said.

someone123
Mar 21, 2011, 12:02 AM
KP and I disagree on a lot of stuff, but not on core issues like this. Peter Kelly should resign. He has been caught lying, participating and directing the miss-use of funds against policy and provincial statute, and most damning, he has refused to accept responsibility for his well documented actions.

Can't wait for Kelly to be gone. I hope he takes most of the councillors with him. Hopefully by 2012 the HRM will have a smaller, more competent crew.

Kelly's tenure has been horrible. So much of the city's potential has quietly gone down the drain while the municipal government has spun its wheels, wasting money with no overall sense of goals or direction.

halifaxboyns
Mar 21, 2011, 5:15 AM
Can't wait for Kelly to be gone. I hope he takes most of the councillors with him. Hopefully by 2012 the HRM will have a smaller, more competent crew.

Kelly's tenure has been horrible. So much of the city's potential has quietly gone down the drain while the municipal government has spun its wheels, wasting money with no overall sense of goals or direction.

You know - I had faith in PK. But now, I have to agree. It might be good to just have a royal flush of council and start fresh. The only catch with that is that you may end up with people who totally are all about suburban growth and against density.

So be careful what you wish for... :)

fenwick16
Mar 21, 2011, 12:53 PM
There is an article in the newspaper by a concert promoter and and a real "opinionated so and so" :) - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1234249.html

Waye Mason
Mar 21, 2011, 5:28 PM
There is an article in the newspaper by a concert promoter and and a real "opinionated so and so" :) - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1234249.html

I do what I can. :D

Wespidel was saying in the Stadium thread that Moncton gives money to the promoter. They do not. They did invest in Rolling Stones but they have been investing only in the venue since then.

Moncton is also not at risk if the promoter gets cash advances on ticket sales. Mackay evidently had no money, as he was unable to pay his bills. HRM owns Ticket Atlantic, and guaranteed the loans of ticket advance money to Mackay. If the shows had flopped or been cancelled, HRM would have been on the hook.

When Evenko does a show in Moncton, if they get an advance from Ticket Master, they have dozens of other events happening out there in Montreal that they can cross-collateralize the debt against.

For those of you with an accounting background, advance tickets are supposed to be held in trust as they are "unearned revenue" ie the good or service has yet to be delivered.

q12
Mar 21, 2011, 8:45 PM
Concert promoter says he's being slandered

http://www.news957.com/news/local/article/200600--concert-promoter-says-he-s-being-slandered

The concert promoter behind the Black Eyed Peas show that spawned the city hall spending scandal says he didn't do anything wrong.

Harold MacKay of the now-defunct Power Promotional Events says he wasn't sucking up taxpayer money when he was being fronted ticket-sale advances through the Metro Centre accounts.

"It is our money," said MacKay. "It's the concert promoter's money that you're asking for. It's not the City of Moncton or taxpayers' money, it's your money."

"If policy was broken," said MacKay, "maybe they should correct the policy."

He says the way this has blown up, Halifax will have a harder time getting performers if it wants big concerts in the future.

"My belief is that this issue should not have gotten to the proportion it is at right now," said MacKay. "It's going to do Halifax big-time damage in the concert scene business in the future. Artists hear about it. They don't need controversy. They can put their finger anywhere on the map and decide to play wherever they want. They won't go places that are controversial in any way."

MacKay maintains his name is being slandered in the media.

"Yeah, it's slandered through all this false information that's out there," he said. "It sounds like we were using the piggy bank of the taxpayers' money to host concerts. It's not true. We took huge risks on these concerts, all the time. We were always taking risks on them."

spaustin
Mar 21, 2011, 9:28 PM
The only catch with that is that you may end up with people who totally are all about suburban growth and against density.

So be careful what you wish for... :)

And that would differ from the current status-quo how? The number of urban and rural councilors out number the urban ones which does affect spending and decisions. It feels like HRM is building a community centre on every corner out in the rural areas and Metro Transit is definitely being pushed to expand their service into rural areas where there is little population density and few potential riders. It's telling that the new library is the first big investment the city has made in the Downtown in a long time... unless you count the sewage treatment plants.

someone123
Mar 22, 2011, 2:10 AM
And that would differ from the current status-quo how? The number of urban and rural councilors out number the urban ones which does affect spending and decisions. It feels like HRM is building a community centre on every corner out in the rural areas and Metro Transit is definitely being pushed to expand their service into rural areas where there is little population density and few potential riders. It's telling that the new library is the first big investment the city has made in the Downtown in a long time... unless you count the sewage treatment plants.

Yep, it's already really bad. I think there's a tendency to think that everything is fine as long as nothing changes, but the reality is that the downtown area has been stagnating and slowly falling behind. The library will improve the picture a little but one of those every 20 years isn't enough. In fact the situation is even slightly worse than what you'd get from municipal neglect alone because there has also been negative interference (e.g. holding on to Queen Street lands when a private developer would have built on them years ago).

fenwick16
May 3, 2011, 10:42 PM
There are a number of reports indicating that Metallica will play in Halifax this summer (July 14) - http://atlanticcanadarocks.ca/content.php/374-BREAKING-Metallica-to-rock-Citadel-Hill-in-Halifax-July-14th and
http://www.chartattack.com/news/2011/may/02/metallica-playing-halifax-in-july

I am not sure who the promoter would be or if this is a band that can attract a crowd in Halifax.

q12
May 6, 2011, 10:34 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2011/05/06/ns-si-metallica-logo.jpg

Metallica to rock Citadel Hill

CBC News Posted: May 6, 2011 5:59 PM AT Last Updated: May 6, 2011 6:36 PM AT

Metallica will be playing a concert on Halifax Citadel Hill this summer, CBC News has learned.

It will be announced officially on Monday that the heavy rock band will play in Halifax on July 14.

The event is being called Rock the Hill and it's being promoted by MacKay Entertainment — a company owned by Michele MacKay, the wife of Nova Scotia concert promoter, Harold MacKay.

Michele and Harold MacKay were the principals in Power Promotional Events Inc., the company behind several major concerts on the Halifax Common, from Paul McCartney in July 2009 to the Black Eyed Peas in the summer of 2010.

Power Promotional went out of business last October owing thousands of dollars to several suppliers.

It was later revealed that the Halifax Regional Municipality lost nearly $360,000 on the two concerts the MacKays promoted last summer. Two weeks before the July concert took place, MacKay threatened to cancel the event.

Acting CAO Wayne Anstey then authorized a $400,000 grant based on ticket sales, without the authorization of council. After that became public in March, Anstey was forced to resign.

Spokesmen for the city and the World Trade and Convention Centre said Friday that they are not and will not be involved in this event.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/05/06/ns-metallica-concert-citadel-hill.html

http://rockthehill.ca/

Waye Mason
May 7, 2011, 12:02 AM
Looks like the free market has returned to concerts in HRM. Thank god.

Mr. Hunt
May 8, 2011, 8:28 PM
Hey everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

Global Maritimes is reporting (ok, tweeting) that the show has been announced via press release.

Music festival called "Rock the Hill". Matt Mays, Protest the Hero, Seether and Coheed & Cambria are also playing. Tickets on sale Thursday

-Harlington-
May 9, 2011, 4:50 PM
:previous:

Confirmed

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1242393.html

CorbeauNoir
Jun 12, 2011, 6:14 PM
This is very late, but Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene are both playing at Alderney Landing this summer. The former are AFAIK playing their only headlining show in Canada in their tour list, the latter as part of a one-day music festival that includes Hey Rosetta! and In-Flight Safety (who I'm compelled to give shout outs to since their drummer is a classmate of mine).

Considering the concert clusterfuck of last year, it looks like this is going to be a really good summer for live music in Halifax.

haligonia
Jun 12, 2011, 7:30 PM
Wintersleep is playing a free concert July 30 at Alderney Landing. (Same night as U2 in Moncton.)

Empire
Nov 29, 2011, 1:00 PM
I think the same stage setup as the one for McCartney would work. 60,000 a night for two nights. What about Shannon Park?

From the Metro Nov 29

Recruiting The Boss
Region trying to woo Bruce Springsteen Rocker yet to name world-tour dates

JENNIFER TAPLIN
METRO HALIFAX
Published: November 28, 2011 11:50 p.m.
Last modified: November 29, 2011 3:38 a.m.

more Email

Be the first to comment
Print article
Text size
There are some local music fans who think luring the The Boss to Atlantic Canada would be, well, boss.

“Bruce Springsteen is just one of those acts, along with the E Street Band, that can put on a spectacular live show that can attract many people of many age groups,” said Cole McLean, founder of AtlanticCanadaRocks.ca.

He even launched a website — ItsBossTime.ca — to gather fan support and catch the attention of concert promoters, and Springsteen himself, to add Atlantic Canada to his upcoming tour.

“I think most people, including myself, are hoping for the Moncton venue because it’s a prime location, you can get to it from many cities throughout the region and the natural amphitheatre makes for a great show,” McLean said.

The Halifax Common is too flat, and Garrison Grounds won’t accommodate enough people, he added.

It’s unknown if HRM Mayor Peter Kelly can be found Dancing in the Dark, but he did say yesterday he’s a fan of Springsteen’s music.

In fact, Kelly thinks a Springsteen concert is such a great idea, he plans to bring it up at this morning’s World Trade and Convention Centre’s board meeting.

Kelly isn’t shying away from participating in another massive concert effort even after he was burned earlier this year in a concert spending scandal resulting in a report from HRM’s auditor general.

“We’re still open for business as long as everybody knows the rules,” he said

Jstaleness
Nov 29, 2011, 2:53 PM
How is the common too flat? A field in a large Stadium would be flat as well.

Waye Mason
Nov 29, 2011, 8:18 PM
60,000?

Last two shows (several years apart) that Bruce did in Toronto were at ACC, so 18,000 in Toronto, one night.

I don't think this would sell more than 25,000 in this market (please read that as "would be lucky to sell). Bruce is big, but he is exactly around the same size as Sir Paul, who only did 24,000.

Is this full band or troubadour acoustic?

Anyway, if flat is the worry, this would easily fit on the Hill.

someone123
Nov 29, 2011, 8:27 PM
They should hold the geriatric rock concerts in Victoria Park so the seniors in the new home can listen in. :)

I don't want to sound too negative about these events but it's a little sad how the media in Halifax or Moncton make it sound like the region has "arrived" and is finally getting the big acts. These are old musicians who do their rounds in Sudbury or whatever then go to Moncton. Stuff like HPX or the everyday local live music is more interesting and culturally relevant but doesn't seem to factor into these "Maritime entertainment capital" stories.

haligonia
Nov 29, 2011, 8:43 PM
They should hold the geriatric rock concerts in Victoria Park so the seniors in the new home can listen in. :)

I don't want to sound too negative about these events but it's a little sad how the media in Halifax or Moncton make it sound like the region has "arrived" and is finally getting the big acts. These are old musicians who do their rounds in Sudbury or whatever then go to Moncton. Stuff like HPX or the everyday local live music is more interesting and culturally relevant but doesn't seem to factor into these "Maritime entertainment capital" stories.

Good point. To me, getting shows like the Arcade Fire gig at Alderny Landing, Dan Mangan, Timber Timbre, Stars, Plants and Animals and the Rural Alberta Advantage at HPX are much more interesting.

Jstaleness
Nov 29, 2011, 9:18 PM
I see Deep Purple is coming in March. Are they new and up and coming? LOL sorry just kidding.

I have heard that The Pixies are supposed to be coming back though.

Empire
Nov 29, 2011, 11:12 PM
60,000?

Last two shows (several years apart) that Bruce did in Toronto were at ACC, so 18,000 in Toronto, one night.

I don't think this would sell more than 25,000 in this market (please read that as "would be lucky to sell). Bruce is big, but he is exactly around the same size as Sir Paul, who only did 24,000.

Is this full band or troubadour acoustic?

Anyway, if flat is the worry, this would easily fit on the Hill.

You obviously know nothing about the entertainment industry. I will let you thumb through this 2012 schedule and respond before I rip you to shreds. I last saw the Boss at Giants stadium in 2009 to a 92,000 sellout for three nights and before you get your knickers in a twist ....I know it was New Jersey but a 60,000 concert here would be 30,000 Americans.

Boss 2012
http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

fenwick16
Nov 29, 2011, 11:30 PM
You obviously know nothing about the entertainment industry. I will let you thumb through this 2012 schedule and respond before I rip you to shreds. I last saw the Boss at Giants stadium in 2009 to a 92,000 sellout for three nights and before you get your knickers in a twist ....I know it was New Jersey but a 60,000 concert here would be 30,000 Americans.

Boss 2012

Thank you for presenting the facts.

This is the sort of concert that Halifax needs a stadium for. If Halifax had a stadium with 25,000 permanent seats, in a sunken bowl stadium with grassy hills to sit on, a large field to stand on, a sufficient number of washrooms instead of portable toilets, and some shelter from the heat and rain, then won't more people be inclined to attend large concerts in the HRM? Plus the set-up time will be quicker in a stadium than on the Commons.

Empire
Nov 30, 2011, 11:20 AM
For anyone who thinks the commons is too flat have a good look at this pic.

Boss tour site source
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/boss.jpg

Boss 2012

Waye Mason
Nov 30, 2011, 11:21 AM

Boss 2012

Hehehehehe. Nice and respectful, reasonable and well argued, as always.

Let's talk like adults:

1 - Is the Canadian market the same as the American market? Are consumer patterns and expectations the same? Are they exposed to the same media as Americans?
2 - Why would all sorts of Americans come here if it doesn't happen in Toronto and Montreal?

Last few Bruce shows in Canada:
May 2009 - Toronto, ACC
March 2008 - Montreal, Bell Centre
Mach 2008 - Vancouver, G.M. Place

MonctonRad
Nov 30, 2011, 11:51 AM
it's a little sad how the media in Halifax or Moncton make it sound like the region has "arrived" and is finally getting the big acts. These are old musicians who do their rounds in Sudbury or whatever then go to Moncton.

U2 played Sudbury!?! :eek: :) :eek:

Empire
Nov 30, 2011, 12:08 PM
Hehehehehe. Nice and respectful, reasonable and well argued, as always.

Let's talk like adults:

1 - Is the Canadian market the same as the American market? Are consumer patterns and expectations the same? Are they exposed to the same media as Americans?
2 - Why would all sorts of Americans come here if it doesn't happen in Toronto and Montreal?

Last few Bruce shows in Canada:
May 2009 - Toronto, ACC
March 2008 - Montreal, Bell Centre
Mach 2008 - Vancouver, G.M. Place

It is always quite a mystery where you get your facts. I have seen Springsteen in both Toronto and Montreal and in both cases I was surrounded by Americans. How do I know that you ask.....I was talking to them, that's how. I suppose there would be Canadians like you (if there are any) who wouldn't even consider going to a Boss concert on the commons but that might be a rare find.

Waye Mason
Nov 30, 2011, 1:26 PM
It is always quite a mystery where you get your facts. I have seen Springsteen in both Toronto and Montreal and in both cases I was surrounded by Americans. How do I know that you ask.....I was talking to them, that's how. I suppose there would be Canadians like you (if there are any) who wouldn't even consider going to a Boss concert on the commons but that might be a rare find.

Right, so in the two biggest markets in Canada, with a huge number of Americans coming, the promoters still put the Boss in the ACC and Bell Centre, each hold 18K.

Earlier, you said the Boss in Halifax would draw 30K Americans.

I am not saying the Boss won't draw from the US, but I am doubting he will draw a) 30K from the US, and b) 30K locally when in two cities with 3 million population he clearly drew 18K. Both those cities have indoor venues that seat double that, more, at the Big O and Rogers Centre...

You have yet to put forward an arguement that would sway me that somehow the Boss will sell over three times more tickets in this market, which is 1/10th ths size of those markets.

PS I will be going to this concert, but my fandom of Bruce doesn't change the math. I think this is a good concert, but realistically his first play here ever will do 16-25K, probably at the lower end.

Jstaleness
Nov 30, 2011, 2:05 PM
I see what's being said about Montreal and Toronto and only 18,000 seats. Would more tickets have sold if more were made available? Maybe the promoter couldn't get the Skydome or the Big Owe?

I also wonder how Moncton and Halifax have had pretty good success in the past if we are only 1/10th the size. AC/DC, U2, Sir Paul, KISS, The Eagles and Metallica to name most. As a region we have proven that if a big name comes to town we will sell the tickets whether it's Moncton or Halifax. We are in a region that is not flooded with big name concerts every night. When someone comes we tend to be there for them. If the majority of concert goers end up being from America, Quebec and Ontario so what? It's still 50-60 thousand people walking our streets and staying in our hotels.

Empire
Nov 30, 2011, 2:12 PM
Right, so in the two biggest markets in Canada, with a huge number of Americans coming, the promoters still put the Boss in the ACC and Bell Centre, each hold 18K.

Earlier, you said the Boss in Halifax would draw 30K Americans.

I am not saying the Boss won't draw from the US, but I am doubting he will draw a) 30K from the US, and b) 30K locally when in two cities with 3 million population he clearly drew 18K. Both those cities have indoor venues that seat double that, more, at the Big O and Rogers Centre...

You have yet to put forward an arguement that would sway me that somehow the Boss will sell over three times more tickets in this market, which is 1/10th ths size of those markets.

PS I will be going to this concert, but my fandom of Bruce doesn't change the math. I think this is a good concert, but realistically his first play here ever will do 16-25K, probably at the lower end.

=========================================
Bruce Springsteen - Concert Review: Air Canada Centre, Toronto
8 May 2009 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto - May 7, 2009 ... which pulled into the Air Canada
Centre Thursday night in front of a boisterous, sold-out crowd. ...

Sold out Montreal Mar. 2, 2008
Sold out Vancouver Mar. 31 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Tour_(Bruce_Springsteen)

Of the 100 concerts on the Magic Tour 96 sold out......that's pretty easy math!

Empire
Nov 30, 2011, 2:14 PM
I see what's being said about Montreal and Toronto and only 18,000 seats. Would more tickets have sold if more were made available? Maybe the promoter couldn't get the Skydome or the Big Owe?

I also wonder how Moncton and Halifax have had pretty good success in the past if we are only 1/10th the size. AC/DC, U2, Sir Paul, KISS, The Eagles and Metallica to name most. As a region we have proven that if a big name comes to town we will sell the tickets whether it's Moncton or Halifax. We are in a region that is not flooded with big name concerts every night. When someone comes we tend to be there for them. If the majority of concert goers end up being from America, Quebec and Ontario so what? It's still 50-60 thousand people walking our streets and staying in our hotels.

I thought what you have said was obvious but I am glad you spelled it out for some who just don't get it.

HighVoltageRock
Nov 30, 2011, 2:40 PM

1) U2
2) Eric Clapton
3) Lady Gaga

I would add AC DC to that list (and remove the 1st and third...but thats JMO, of course). other than that, all the acts I would like to see in Hali would be repeat performances (which is great...I just assumed you meant people who havent played here before...)

U2
Bruce Springsteen
ACDC

amen! :cheers: :banger: :righton:

Thank you for presenting the facts.

This is the sort of concert that Halifax needs a stadium for. If Halifax had a stadium with 25,000 permanent seats, in a sunken bowl stadium with grassy hills to sit on, a large field to stand on, a sufficient number of washrooms instead of portable toilets, and some shelter from the heat and rain, then won't more people be inclined to attend large concerts in the HRM? Plus the set-up time will be quicker in a stadium than on the Commons.

I think a stadium would really help draw a lot more to Hali...or atleast get them looking in the right direction...

I know all the negative views about this...but I could use some help... I would REALLY love to see AC DC play in Halifax. I am a MASSIVE AC DC fan, and this would be amazing-not just for myself or other fans in the province, but I think it could be great for the city/province as well (if done right anyway)...So if people here could possibly like the facebook page, and/or sign the paper-copy petitions (once they're ready, and if you're in either the valley or can get to/live in the city), I would really appreciate it. The campaign isn't about personal profit for anyone involved, and isnt about finding all problems/solutions to problems with concerts...right now, its all about identifying the interest in having the band come to the province. Anyway...the link is http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Highway-to-Halifax/239816759386702

Waye Mason
Nov 30, 2011, 5:58 PM
=========================================
Bruce Springsteen - Concert Review: Air Canada Centre, Toronto
8 May 2009 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto - May 7, 2009 ... which pulled into the Air Canada
Centre Thursday night in front of a boisterous, sold-out crowd. ...

Sold out Montreal Mar. 2, 2008
Sold out Vancouver Mar. 31 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Tour_(Bruce_Springsteen)

Of the 100 concerts on the Magic Tour 96 sold out......that's pretty easy math!

Seating Capacity:
Basketball 19,800 seats
Hockey 18,800 seats
Full house concerts 19,800 seats
Theatre 5,200 seats

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/about/Facts.asp

Waye Mason
Nov 30, 2011, 6:07 PM
I wish you well, but the Boss won't sell 2.5 times more tickets then Sir Paul did.

I guess some folks feel like they are concert experts because they have been to a couple.... but that is like saying you are could design and build a bridge because you drove over a one a couple times.

Jstaleness
Nov 30, 2011, 6:49 PM
I guess some folks feel like they are concert experts because they have been to a couple.... but that is like saying you are could design and build a bridge because you drove over a one a couple times.

I don't think this is what any of us feel. No one has claimed to be experts. We are just using other examples than the ones you have used. Ours show that there is potential for Bruce to do well based on other concerts of his caliber that have been played here before.