PDA

View Full Version : Miller Coors moving to Irving?

dollaztx
Jul 9, 2008, 11:58 PM
http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/2008/07/09/its-miller-coors-time-irving/

It’s Miller (Coors) Time, Irving
Posted on July 9th, 2008 1:28pm by Dave Moore

Sources in Dallas and Irving city halls confirm that North Texas has just about locked up the U.S. headquarters of MillerCoors. One source has whispered into FrontBurner’s ear that it’s definitely going to North Texas. Into another ear, an insider said: If it’s going to be in North Texas, it’s heading to Irving. Chicago might still have a shot at it, however. (Apparently, a Chicago Tribune reporter is calling around on this as I type.) Look for an official announcement on this in a week or two.

Lest we forget about AT&T, this would be the second major biz coup for North Texas within two weeks. Go Big D. (”Go North Texas” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.)

Trae
Jul 10, 2008, 1:37 AM
It won't be a corporate HQ though. Just a dual/joint headquarters kind of thing. Kind of like Shell and BP with Houston.

Austin55
Jul 10, 2008, 2:56 AM
does Irving have low commercial taxes?

Metro Matt
Jul 10, 2008, 4:49 AM
They should move to Fort Worth where there is already the large Miller Light brewing plant. A new downtown tower would awesome, but I'm just dreaming, it will never happen. I don't think beer companies build skyscrapers...

:cheers: to Irving if the deal goes through, but I think Fort Worth would be a much better choice.

Trae
Jul 10, 2008, 5:09 AM
They should move to Fort Worth where there is already the large Miller Light brewing plant. A new downtown tower would awesome, but I'm just dreaming, it will never happen. I don't think beer companies build skyscrapers...

:cheers: to Irving if the deal goes through, but I think Fort Worth would be a much better choice.

Especially with just 100 people.

Owlhorn
Jul 10, 2008, 8:03 AM
Especially with just 100 people.

100 people seems to be enough to get your attention

Trae
Jul 10, 2008, 8:13 AM
100 people seems to be enough to get your attention

You make zero sense.

I just don't see how 100 people would warrant a new office tower.

WTx
Jul 10, 2008, 12:47 PM
More rumors...

100K to 125K sq/ft would indicate more than 100 employees to me? I guess we will have to wait and see.

One Tarrant County broker told staff reporter Andrea Jares that the brewer is rumored to be in the market for 100,000 to 125,000 square feet.

http://www.star-telegram.com/business/story/751399.html

Trae
Jul 10, 2008, 1:21 PM
Articles have been saying 100 people.

WTx
Jul 10, 2008, 2:28 PM
I agree that the articles have been saying 100 employees. However, if they are looking for 100,000 to 125,000 sq/ft that might indicate more than simply 100 employees? 100K to 125K is a nice chunk of space. Again, all speculation since they have not even announced anything?

dollaztx
Jul 10, 2008, 4:14 PM
Do beermaking companies do better when the economy is up, down, or is a pretty stable industry?

Trae
Jul 10, 2008, 5:39 PM
All the time. People get drunk no matter what ;).

DFW LUV
Jul 10, 2008, 5:52 PM
The Star-Telegram article states MillerCoors is mum about what other departments may be located with the top executive team. There could be well over 100 people. Even if only the top executives relocate here, it's invaluable for any city to have top shot callers in their backyard; especially with the sponsorship power of a worldwide beer company.

Another possible boon for D/FW and all of TX!

Trae
Jul 10, 2008, 6:09 PM
The Star-Telegram article states MillerCoors is mum about what other departments may be located with the top executive team. There could be well over 100 people. Even if only the top executives relocate here, it's invaluable for any city to have top shot callers in their backyard; especially with the sponsorship power of a worldwide beer company.

Another possible boon for D/FW and all of TX!

This is more like Shell Oil Company and Royal Dutch Shell. Shell Oil Company is headquartered in Houston, but its parent company, Royal Dutch Shell, is in the Netherlands.

SABMiller is the parent company of Miller Beer. It is HQ in London.

I hope they decide on Fort Worth though, since the brewery is already there. :)

DFW LUV
Jul 10, 2008, 6:16 PM
This is more like Shell Oil Company and Royal Dutch Shell. Shell Oil Company is headquartered in Houston, but its parent company, Royal Dutch Shell, is in the Netherlands.

SABMiller is the parent company of Miller Beer. It is HQ in London.

Gotcha. Yep, Ft Worth would be an awesome choice.

Metro Matt
Jul 15, 2008, 4:30 AM

Fort Worth was never even mentioned in the article, I was the one saying it would be cool if they located there because of the already existing brewing plant. It just doesn't make any sense to me why they would choose Irving over Fort Worth.

You can be sarcastic all you want, but anything is possible. Who's to say other companies wouldn't locate in a new office tower with them & just lease some space? It wouldn't have to be anything SUPER TALL, just 10-12 stories would be a nice low rise addition for some in fill in the gaping Fort Worth skyline.

Trae
Jul 15, 2008, 4:40 AM
How am I being sarcastic?

GoldenBoot
Jul 16, 2008, 2:07 PM
Chicago wins...

alexjon
Jul 16, 2008, 4:09 PM
Based on transportation and talent base... interesting.

sakyle04
Jul 16, 2008, 5:41 PM
Chicago wins...

Imagine being St Louis right about now... Your identity gets sold to a Belgian brewer and your rival city picks up the US HQ of a rival brand. :yuck:

TXlifeguard
Jul 17, 2008, 12:15 AM
Also, since RIF, it's worth noting that this is NOT a relocation of any existing corporate headquarters. Miller and Coors will REMAIN two separate companies. This is the creation and establishment of the MillerCoors joint venture, responsible tor the brewing and marketing of the respective companies' beers. The two separate companies have decided to join marketing and brewing forces to better compete with A-B, InBev (soon to be one company) and the like. I would be surprised to see a merger of the parent companies SABMiller and MolsenCoors in the near future. With a likely Democratic White House in 2009, regulatory approval of such a merger is unlikely. The dems would howl that it is anti-competitive. This is the reason why the hustle was put on the AT&T/Bell South and XM/Sirius mergers last year. Republican administrations are more likely to be supportive of large mergers and the regulatory approval process takes approximately 18 months. This is probably why they chose to create a new joint company for brewing and marketing while keeping the parent companies separate. They understood there wasn't time, and this was an easy and quick, like-solution. I know they are both foreign owned, but if they did merge parent companies, US regulators could still require the companies have separate US holding entities to do business here.

I know its confusing and might seem like it's the same thing, but it's not. If you have shares in your portfolio of either company, the difference would be important to you.