PDA

View Full Version : [Halifax] The Roy Halifax | 71 m | 22 fl | Completed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RyeJay
Oct 30, 2013, 1:27 PM
If construction is timely, we'll see how well this project catches up to the Nova Centre.

bluenoser
Oct 30, 2013, 4:23 PM
Yes, and hopefully this will also be on par with the start of the nearby Bank of Canada development. Excellent news.

IanWatson
Nov 1, 2013, 1:38 AM
I'm really kicking myself now for not getting inside the Roy during Nocturne. I've never been in, and now I guess I've lost my chance.

IanWatson
Nov 1, 2013, 1:41 AM
ANS is reporting that the Roy Building demolition has begun. Construction work on the new building is set to start in the spring.

Anyone know what's happening to the Halifax Makerspace? I assume the demolition of the building they're in presents a problem to their operation, but their website and Facebook page don't give any clue as to where they're moving.

Chadillaccc
Nov 1, 2013, 2:59 AM
ANS is reporting that the Roy Building demolition has begun. Construction work on the new building is set to start in the spring.

That's awesome! I assume they will be maintaining the original façade as the podium still, right? Another major tower for Halifax! Congrats guys! :D

RyeJay
Nov 1, 2013, 3:02 AM
That's awesome! I assume they will be maintaining the original façade as the podium still, right? Another major tower for Halifax! Congrats guys! :D

They are rebuilding it, so hopefully it will look very similar to the original.

someone123
Nov 1, 2013, 5:21 AM
I seem to recall reading that there is a plan to preserve some of the masonry, but I am not sure if that applies to the bricks, the stone archways, or other components. Allnovascotia reported that the Vogue building next door won't be torn down and redeveloped, which is probably a good thing in terms of maintaining the integrity of the block.

ns_kid
Nov 1, 2013, 3:02 PM
I'm really kicking myself now for not getting inside the Roy during Nocturne. I've never been in, and now I guess I've lost my chance.

Maybe not. After AllNovaScotia reported that demolition was set to begin, someone wrote to say they were still working in the Roy Building and had been told they wouldn't have to move until spring.

ILoveHalifax
Nov 1, 2013, 3:10 PM
I hope they check to make sure everybody is out before they start knocking it down.

Drybrain
Nov 1, 2013, 3:51 PM
Maybe not. After AllNovaScotia reported that demolition was set to begin, someone wrote to say they were still working in the Roy Building and had been told they wouldn't have to move until spring.

Maybe that means they plan to knock it down and start construction immediately thereafter--that'd be best. Most people don't seem to realize that the building is due to be knocked down (everyone who mentions it to me assumes the facade will be retained).

I'm sure when they take out the building, it'll fuel loads of anti-Starfish anger and shock from people who didn't know it was coming. To not begin construction right away would be even worse--people might think we're ending up with another hole in the street, and people always love to assume the worst.

ns_kid
Nov 1, 2013, 3:57 PM
I hope they check to make sure everybody is out before they start knocking it down.

Picky, picky. I'm sure Mr. Reznick is a big picture kind of guy. You can't expect him to worry about every minor detail. Ho ho.

counterfactual
Nov 2, 2013, 12:30 AM
I like what Reznick is proposing for the Roy, but let's be honest.

Saying that Starfish do development at a glacial pace is an understatement.

I trust that if they knock this thing down this fall, that work will begin sometime in 2016, with completion date of 2022.

The public outcry will be there, but it won't make a whole lot of difference. Starfish's approach to PR is like Rob Ford's, only Starfish seems to answer fewer questions directly.

planarchy
Nov 13, 2013, 11:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BY-j4aYCcAAcPz0.jpg:large

Source: https://twitter.com/TheRoyHalifax

fenwick16
Nov 14, 2013, 2:27 AM

Great looking model! I love the design.

fenwick16
Nov 14, 2013, 3:48 AM
According to the allnovascotia.com, tenants have been given their eviction notices and demolition is scheduled to begin March 3rd, 2014.

counterfactual
Nov 14, 2013, 4:00 AM
Love it. Now, build it.

someone123
Nov 14, 2013, 4:52 AM
ANS also reported that the building "shell" would be preserved, which is different from some past stories that made it sound like the whole thing would come down but that maybe some materials would be saved.

Keith P.
Nov 14, 2013, 12:39 PM
It would be so much better without that ugly old Roy shell as the podium.

ILoveHalifax
Nov 14, 2013, 12:53 PM
I thought the Roy Building was falling apart. Isn't that why they have that canopy along Granville St, so people don't get hit?

beyeas
Nov 14, 2013, 2:45 PM
incidentally, unless I am miscounting, that model has 20 floors plus the mechanical (rather than the 16 floors on the thread title).

KnoxfordGuy
Nov 14, 2013, 3:01 PM
Love it! Will change the skyline of Halifax that we've had for the last, what, 20 years?

RyeJay
Nov 14, 2013, 3:06 PM

Source: https://twitter.com/TheRoyHalifax

Although I'm fond of this development from the perspective of Barrington, I would appreciate seeing the other side, just to see what this could look like from the waterfront, with the company of midrise towers the Roy will have.

And as an aside, The Nova Centre is going to be a gem to enjoy once you're inside the downtown -- because the view of it will be mostly blocked out by the array of upcoming highrise towers, especially considering the Roy.

Fortunately, the 'ass' of the Nova Centre is sexy enough to be what we'll manage to see from the harbour.

ns_kid
Nov 14, 2013, 3:19 PM
I thought the Roy Building was falling apart. Isn't that why they have that canopy along Granville St, so people don't get hit?

These periodic media references about the Roy Building shell being "preserved" are misleading. The developer has always asserted that the building is beyond salvation and will be demolished. The new building will replicate some features of the historic building but it will neither be a restoration nor a reconstruction.

Here is what the HRM development agreement says:

The base portion of the building shall employ two distinct facade designs. The Barrington Street facade shall be constructed to replicate the features and materials of the original Roy Building. Stone from the existing structure shall be utilized in the new construction where possible. New brick cladding or precast concrete veneer shall be similar in appearance to the brick on the Johnston Building. The Granville and Sackville Street facades shall consist primarily of a combination of brick/ stone or precast concrete veneer and glass. Stone, masonry or precast concrete veneer on the first two levels above grade shall appear similar to the stone on the Johnston Building. Brick or precast material on the upper levels of the base shall appear similar to the brickwork of the Johnston Building.

https://www.halifax.ca/Council/agendasc/documents/110412ca1117i.pdf

Drybrain
Nov 14, 2013, 3:52 PM
Yeah, it’s really annoyingly lazy reporting. I assume the reporters are just looking at the rendering and assuming it’s the original façade, but as other pointed out, the shell of the building is salvageable only if the entire building is preserved. But it’s not strong enough to be removed propped up as the new building is constructed behind it.

I still think it’s bit of a shame. The Roy isn’t a great looking building, but the layered brickwork from years’ worth of additions, and the bizarre interior layout, make it extremely unique—a bit of living architectural archaeology, and a building that was extremely well used for years by all kinds of under-the-radar outfits. There’s not really any other structure in the city that can fill the role it filled for a lot of weird little organizations and small companies. Plus, the Granville perspective on the Roy and the Johnston building is also a very old-school urban canyon—almost New Yorkish.

But, the tower looks really good. Ideally, the Roy would be rehabbed and retained, and this would be built on one of the many other potential sites (Tex-Park, anyone?) downtown. But I’m still fairly excited for it—it looks great, and lord knows downtown needs the residents. Just wish it didn’t have to come at the cost of the Roy (and those little Sackville buildings).

Wishblade
Nov 14, 2013, 4:36 PM
Love it! Will change the skyline of Halifax that we've had for the last, what, 20 years?

After the Citadel hotel redevelopment, TD centre and Nova Centre startups, the skyline is already starting to look a lot different. I wouldn't really call this the project that broke the ice, just a great addition to keep the momentum going.

On another note, I read an article today in the metro that stated this building as 22 stories, and that it will be the tallest structure in the entire downtown when complete.

bluenoser
Nov 14, 2013, 4:51 PM
On another note, I read an article today in the metro that stated this building as 22 stories, and that it will be the tallest structure in the entire downtown when complete.

Interesting. I think 1801 Hollis and Purdy's 2 are both 22 stories although they are office towers, which I understand are generally taller than residential buildings with the same floor count. On the other hand, the Roy looks like the equivalent of about 24 stories (or 25 from Granville) with the penthouse(s) and the feature on the roof. Also, if these are higher-end condos, perhaps the ceiling height on each floor could be slightly higher than average for residential.

bluenoser
Nov 14, 2013, 5:07 PM
One other thing: The Roy is obviously perched higher up than either of those 2 buildings so in terms of absolute height (above the water), it would almost certainly be the tallest. Should look really good in the skyline!

worldlyhaligonian
Nov 14, 2013, 7:39 PM
Wow, this sort of news would be even bigger on this forum a few years ago!

This proposal looks incredible... would be nice to see the skyline view from the harbour though.

Could easily be my favourite development to be moving forward, with the frontrunner being the former Bank of Canada site.

Any of these towers being built in combination with NC and the Citadel redevelopment is really improving density downtown.

someone123
Nov 15, 2013, 4:52 AM
My impression was that the height is fixed at 71 metres but that the floor count has gone up because the individual apartment floors will not be as tall as they would have been in the office building that was originally proposed. There are around 10 buildings downtown that are 71 metres or taller (Duke Tower is listed as 70.9). The taller Purdy's tower is 88 metres.

Anyway, height aside, the new residents along Sackville Street are going to make a big difference. The approved buildings there could support something like 1,000-2,000 more people. They'll generate a lot of foot traffic and a lot of demand for shops and services beyond what exists now.

counterfactual
Nov 17, 2013, 10:34 PM
My impression was that the height is fixed at 71 metres but that the floor count has gone up because the individual apartment floors will not be as tall as they would have been in the office building that was originally proposed. There are around 10 buildings downtown that are 71 metres or taller (Duke Tower is listed as 70.9). The taller Purdy's tower is 88 metres.

Anyway, height aside, the new residents along Sackville Street are going to make a big difference. The approved buildings there could support something like 1,000-2,000 more people. They'll generate a lot of foot traffic and a lot of demand for shops and services beyond what exists now.

All agreed. It's going to be great.

But can I just take a moment and ask again, frustratingly, why did it take until 2013 for all this to happen?

And, I'm still skeptical and cynical it all will. I'm skeptical about Starfish. I worry that this whole PR blitz is just to test the waters about demand right now for high end / luxury apartments. And if the the demand or response they get is not up to necessary levels, then this thing will be canned for another 5+ years, or, instead, they hire the Moe's that have been working for them across the street, to build, with an aimed completion rate around 2023.

Whoops, it's that typical Halifax pessimism creeping in...

Hali87
Nov 17, 2013, 11:49 PM
In all fairness, what would be the point of building this now if they determine that there's no demand for it?

fenwick16
Nov 17, 2013, 11:53 PM
All agreed. It's going to be great.

But can I just take a moment and ask again, frustratingly, why did it take until 2013 for all this to happen?

And, I'm still skeptical and cynical it all will. I'm skeptical about Starfish. I worry that this whole PR blitz is just to test the waters about demand right now for high end / luxury apartments. And if the the demand or response they get is not up to necessary levels, then this thing will be canned for another 5+ years, or, instead, they hire the Moe's that have been working for them across the street, to build, with an aimed completion rate around 2023.

Whoops, it's that typical Halifax pessimism creeping in...

I think that taking the time to improve the design was beneficial. The initial design was far less attractive than it is now. We have seen this with both the TD expansion and the Nova Centre. Taking the time to consider each building design has resulted in immensely better designs.

I think that there is room for optimism that this will proceed in the spring, 2014. Luxury condos have sold at King's Wharf and the Trillium. However, for the building boom to continue in the Halifax area I think that the local economy and population growth rate will have to improve. Maybe BP or Shell will make a major oil discovery off Nova Scotia, the shipbuilding contract will start to create jobs, the new Yarmouth ferry and Nova Centre will bring more tourists to the city ...

someone123
Nov 17, 2013, 11:59 PM
We're talking about a process involving many factors that are not under the developer's control. The developer has to anticipate demand to design a building, go through approvals for potentially a few years, try to get financing based on demand for the building, and then actually sell the units. It's not generally possible for developers to build regardless of what happens during these steps and I don't think that would be a reasonable way to go. There wouldn't be much construction in the city if that were the requirement.

Developers can do bad things, but I don't think a failure to build something necessary proves that they don't know what they are doing.

Personally, I like most of Starfish's buildings, and I think they faced an uphill battle mostly related to bad municipal rules and decisions. I'm not sure how the Roy Building will turn out but I am cautiously optimistic.

Drybrain
Nov 18, 2013, 12:49 AM
Personally, I like most of Starfish's buildings, and I think they faced an uphill battle mostly related to bad municipal rules and decisions. I'm not sure how the Roy Building will turn out but I am cautiously optimistic.

I'm more optimistic than I was, given the new models and renderings. I think the tower will almost certainly be great--the real question for me will be how well the podium turns out.

I understand the tendency to pessimism, but Starfish doesn't seem like a company that screws around with detailed renderings and a marketing campaign, only to pull back all of a sudden. I think they're pretty confident of this. The fact that they seem to be holding off demolition until they're ready to start building makes me feel less nervous that we'll end up with a new parking lot after all this.

Plus, it's my understanding that they have to start fairly soon, because the development agreement had a five-year window. The only reason they're allowed to demolish the Roy is because the project was approved before the heritage-conservation district was in place, so if the development agreement expires, there's a risk they won't be able to get it back. I think that's the case? The approvals process for the Roy was so weird that I'm not sure.

counterfactual
Nov 18, 2013, 7:23 AM
In all fairness, what would be the point of building this now if they determine that there's no demand for it?

One of the problems in Halifax, is that we're so goddamn risk averse. Sometimes, you build ahead of demand and sometimes you build to help shape demand. Both involve investment and risk, but both can mean greater pay off.

But even putting risk and reward aside, just on the more prosaic point about demand testing: testing demand in 2013 for a building that will not be built until 2015 is not an accurate measure of demand in 2015 forward.

Jonovision
Nov 19, 2013, 5:11 PM
Something tells me there is good appetite for this building.

Southport opened their sales centre last week and in the first night sold 80% of their units! This is very impressive and while a different price point then what the Roy will be, shows that there is demand for good quality condos downtown. I'm very interested in how sales go when the Roy sales centre opens on Barrington this weekend. It is already there and looks beautiful. The model is in full view.

Dmajackson
Nov 21, 2013, 4:43 AM
Some facts from an article tonight;

- Units range from 724 - 2'300 square feet with some including 500sq ft balconies.
- Pre-Sale prices start at $419'000 and climb to $1.5 million
- The condos will start on the 9th floor meaning that the floors part of the rebuilt facade will remain commercial.
- The 8th floor will be all amenities including (but not limited to) a wrap-around balcony, a pool, and a living room

Most importantly though Mr. Reznick has stated that demolition/construction will begin in March 2014 regardless of how many units are sold.

Source : "Pre-Selling Gets Underway At Reznick's Roy Condos" (November 20th, 2013) - AllNovaScotia.com

RyeJay
Nov 21, 2013, 3:46 PM
Most importantly though Mr. Reznick has stated that demolition/construction will begin in March 2014 regardless of how many units are sold.

Score.

YOWetal
Dec 2, 2013, 9:32 PM
Score.

Anybody go to the pre-sales launch, or hear how it went?

fenwick16
Dec 2, 2013, 10:02 PM
I am not sure if anyone posted this before. There is a website with floor plans for The Roy Building - http://theroyhalifax.com/index.php

counterfactual
Dec 3, 2013, 1:20 PM
I am not sure if anyone posted this before. There is a website with floor plans for The Roy Building - http://theroyhalifax.com/index.php

Thanks for the link!

Here is the brochure: http://theroyhalifax.com/brochure.php

The amenities level is pretty great-- they make use of the set up by creating an outdoor, open air patio space.

Also, the architect and interior designers hired for this are serious business. This looks great!

someone123
Feb 4, 2014, 3:45 AM
Demolition is set to start on March 3.

Jonovision
Mar 8, 2014, 4:17 PM
This one should be starting soon.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1920024_10100344422372549_18253042_n.jpg

fenwick16
Mar 8, 2014, 5:55 PM
Demolition is set to start on March 3.

Has anyone noticed any demolition on the exterior yet?

someone123
Mar 8, 2014, 6:49 PM
Has anyone noticed any demolition on the exterior yet?

theroyhalifax.com has a "construction begins March 2014" banner up. Seems encouraging.

Jonovision
Mar 9, 2014, 11:43 PM
I stopped into the sales centre today. Interior demolition started last week. And they have a big marketing plan that will be launching soon.

kph06
Mar 16, 2014, 6:51 PM
Nothing yet on the exterior, I hear the building is being cleared out though, phot by me today:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7241/13197934183_244553f8c7_b.jpg

counterfactual
Mar 16, 2014, 8:19 PM
Nothing yet on the exterior, I hear the building is being cleared out though, phot by me today:

Angle makes it look like you took this photo while standing in a field of wild, overgrown, grass. Only in downtown Halifax. :shrug:

Also first time I've noticed that ugly red paneling on the side of the Roy. Looks like it was put on with duct tape. Geez.

fenwick16
Mar 16, 2014, 8:28 PM
From that angle, demolishing the Roy building is no loss.

You got a good shot of the TD Tower expansion also. One more floor to go, I believe.

ns_kid
Mar 18, 2014, 1:56 PM
Whatever work is ongoing inside, the building is still being heated and lit so it actual demolition is not imminent.

kph06
Mar 25, 2014, 10:48 AM
I walked by on the weekend and am pretty sure I saw Loius Reznick and a few others come out of the building as if they were getting a tour. On the back side there are a number of new holes cut under the windows with yellow ventilation tubes coming out. I’d say interior demolition is getting going.

counterfactual
Mar 25, 2014, 9:48 PM

By the way, 1000 more curses on United Gulf, for letting this plot of land sit empty and ugly.

Instead, it's been literally 10 years, and we're still waiting for a serious development proposal from these clowns.

BUY THIS LOT BACK.

Ziobrop
Mar 29, 2014, 1:47 AM
there is definitely work going on inside. I suspect they are doing all the environmental stuff - mold and asbestos abatement etc. Most of the meters on Granville St. are blocked off for the work.

Anyway, along the lines of my Nova Center blog http://fillingtheholehfx.tumblr.com/
I have started one on the Roy - http://buildingtheroy.tumblr.com/
I hope you enjoy.

kph06
Mar 29, 2014, 2:23 AM
there is definitely work going on inside. I suspect they are doing all the environmental stuff - mold and asbestos abatement etc. Most of the meters on Granville St. are blocked off for the work.

Anyway, along the lines of my Nova Center blog http://fillingtheholehfx.tumblr.com/
I have started one on the Roy - http://buildingtheroy.tumblr.com/
I hope you enjoy.

Great news, I check your Nova Center blog and HSN daily, this will be an interesting one to watch.

The invasion of Dexter Construction trucks parked out back in the below photo shows things must be ramping up.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/7fde1ef02b8c97c797d523be08242fb4/tumblr_n36brwRa6F1skleqro1_1280.jpg
Source (http://buildingtheroy.tumblr.com/post/81028313673)

teddifax
Mar 29, 2014, 4:22 AM
How do they plan to demolish this building? Will they use the same demolition process used in the Citadel Inn redevelopment?

kph06
Mar 29, 2014, 12:46 PM
I've heard it will be the same as the Canada Bank building across the street - excavators on the roof. A wrecking ball would be messy in such a small space.

kph06
Apr 3, 2014, 8:15 PM
Construction fencing is up on the sackville and Granville Street sides.

Jonovision
Apr 4, 2014, 2:37 PM
From yesterday
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1509789_10100358936171779_155349894_n.jpg

Duff
Apr 7, 2014, 6:32 PM
One from today. Lots of work going on out front.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7435/13699022845_c8c873ab88_h.jpg

kph06
Apr 8, 2014, 8:21 PM
PCL looks to be the general contractor on this one, they were setting up a site office what I think was the old tattoo shop on Sackville. Makes sense where they are doing Starfish's other project on Barrington.

ns_kid
Apr 9, 2014, 8:32 PM
I've heard it will be the same as the Canada Bank building across the street - excavators on the roof. A wrecking ball would be messy in such a small space.

I have no authoritative information to the contrary, but I am finding it hard to imagine that the roof of the Roy Building can bear the load of an excavator. I work above the building and I'd be nervous to walk on that roof!

xanaxanax
Apr 9, 2014, 8:39 PM
I have no authoritative information to the contrary, but I am finding it hard to imagine that the roof of the Roy Building can bear the load of an excavator. I work above the building and I'd be nervous to walk on that roof!
I know plenty of people that have hanged out on the roof of the Roy

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 9, 2014, 8:46 PM
I know plenty of people that have hanged out on the roof of the Roy

With an excavator? How did they get it up there? ;)

Jstaleness
Apr 9, 2014, 11:32 PM
The Roy isn't that tall. Could they use a wrecking ball but just smash down top to bottom allowing each floor to fall down to the next?

ILoveHalifax
Apr 9, 2014, 11:44 PM
I would show up for a controlled implosion. Can't wait to see that ugly old building down.

Drybrain
Apr 9, 2014, 11:51 PM
I think you guys are forgetting that there's an occupied building literally directly next to the Roy--like, brick-to-brick. I'm going to imagine this proceeds more like a dis-assembly than a demolition.

Jstaleness
Apr 10, 2014, 12:53 AM
Demo shouldn't be that hard. Looking at the picture a few posts back it's in pretty sad shape. Piece by piece seems reasonable.

ILoveHalifax
Apr 10, 2014, 12:54 AM
Gee if the Johnson bldg. came down by accident all the better.

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 10, 2014, 2:24 PM
Wasn't the original plan to disassemble it and later rebuild the facade using most of the original materials?

Maybe that changed along the way and I missed it...

Drybrain
Apr 10, 2014, 2:43 PM
Wasn't the original plan to disassemble it and later rebuild the facade using most of the original materials?

Yeah, but they've never really committed to how much of the original material they were going to use. It's kind of up in the air how much (if any) will be original materials, and how much will be faux. The quality of the renderings is high, and Starfish has done excellent restoration work on other buildings, so I have high hopes it'll look good--but I think we'll have to wait until it's under construction to get a better sense of it.

Jonovision
Apr 10, 2014, 3:14 PM
Gee if the Johnson bldg. came down by accident all the better.

The Johnson building is beautiful and went through a major restoration a few years ago. All it needs to do is get the government boardroom out of the potential Barrington retail space and put an actual store in there.

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 10, 2014, 3:45 PM
Yeah, but they've never really committed to how much of the original material they were going to use. It's kind of up in the air how much (if any) will be original materials, and how much will be faux. The quality of the renderings is high, and Starfish has done excellent restoration work on other buildings, so I have high hopes it'll look good--but I think we'll have to wait until it's under construction to get a better sense of it.

Thanks and yes, I'm hopeful that they will do it justice as well. Was just a little confused with the talk of knocking it down as that would not be a good way to salvage reusable materials, obviously.

worldlyhaligonian
Apr 10, 2014, 6:24 PM
I hope they can reuse some of the existing material, but I didn't know the building was in that bad of shape... It would make sense to build one layer of the building with the best of the best material.

kph06
Apr 14, 2014, 9:23 AM
Scaffolding is being built on the Barrington Street side, looks like it may extend all the way up the face, the wood framed overhang on Granville is gone and the PCL site office is in the basement of the Vogue Optical building, not the old tattoo shop as I mentioned earlier. This is a photo from yesterday:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3726/13843558684_95ea671926_b.jpg

kph06
Apr 16, 2014, 11:49 PM
Tonight by me:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7442/13904794505_d54b562703_b.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3812/13904791715_5f907d60dd_b.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3817/13905208334_36915bd5ed_b.jpg

Ziobrop
Apr 23, 2014, 12:08 PM
looks like one of the wrecking claws drove up from the Bank of Canada site this morning.
From http://buildingtheroy.tumblr.com/

http://24.media.tumblr.com/0357cc03599fc76934b6c4754124dbc0/tumblr_n4hf4w0bVm1skleqro1_1280.jpg

Duff
Apr 23, 2014, 1:09 PM
Looks like they are using it today too! Just saw this picture from @geckodaily on twitter. https://twitter.com/geckodaily

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bl6BOkdIAAATLtR.jpg:large

ILoveHalifax
Apr 23, 2014, 4:00 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!
So good to see it coming down.

Ziobrop
Apr 23, 2014, 6:50 PM
made short work of it. I posted some video at http://buildingtheroy.tumblr.com/
http://24.media.tumblr.com/dbdd70a1e07a10cf2ebf733f2d6ad067/tumblr_n4hxc8y9lg1skleqro1_1280.jpg

ILoveHalifax
Apr 23, 2014, 8:38 PM
The old barber shop is gone as well. Got my first haircut there.

Colin May
Apr 23, 2014, 8:59 PM
An interesting photo which shows the outline of a previous building.

ns_kid
Apr 27, 2014, 6:05 PM

The new Roy building will replicate some features of the historic building but it will neither be a restoration nor a reconstruction. The development agreement says some material may be salvaged.

The base portion of the building shall employ two distinct facade designs. The Barrington Street facade shall be constructed to replicate [emphasis added] the features and materials of the original Roy Building. Stone from the existing structure shall be utilized in the new construction where possible. New brick cladding or precast concrete veneer shall be similar in appearance to the brick on the Johnston Building. The Granville and Sackville Street facades shall consist primarily of a combination of brick/stone or precast concrete veneer and glass. Stone, masonry or precast concrete veneer on the first two levels above grade shall appear similar to the stone on the Johnston Building. Brick or precast material on the upper levels of the base shall appear similar to the brickwork of the Johnston Building.

https://www.halifax.ca/Council/agend...412ca1117i.pdf

someone123
Apr 27, 2014, 8:29 PM
I figured the most likely outcome would be new brickwork with some preserved stone from around the doorway of the old building.

I wish the DAs were a bit more specific about requiring more attractive materials on facades, particularly on lower floors. Large precast panels (concrete blocks look okay -- the Waterford is a good example) should not be permitted on Barrington, at least on lower floors highly visible from street level. I don't think that's the plan but it's hard to tell from the agreement. If you look at some of the elevations for developments like the TD building or Discovery Centre they do mention specific materials like copper but I don't think these are actually binding in any way. Developers can produce renderings and elevations that suggest a certain quality of materials and then substitute in something cheaper after they get approval.

The existing Roy facade was not in great shape so I could see the new building being a big improvement. It's also nice that they're keeping the Vogue building on the corner.

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 29, 2014, 3:40 PM
The new Roy building will replicate some features of the historic building but it will neither be a restoration nor a reconstruction. The development agreement says some material may be salvaged.

The base portion of the building shall employ two distinct facade designs. The Barrington Street facade shall be constructed to replicate [emphasis added] the features and materials of the original Roy Building. Stone from the existing structure shall be utilized in the new construction where possible. New brick cladding or precast concrete veneer shall be similar in appearance to the brick on the Johnston Building. The Granville and Sackville Street facades shall consist primarily of a combination of brick/stone or precast concrete veneer and glass. Stone, masonry or precast concrete veneer on the first two levels above grade shall appear similar to the stone on the Johnston Building. Brick or precast material on the upper levels of the base shall appear similar to the brickwork of the Johnston Building.

https://www.halifax.ca/Council/agend...412ca1117i.pdf

Thanks for clarifying that! :tup:

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 29, 2014, 3:50 PM
made short work of it. I posted some video at http://buildingtheroy.tumblr.com/
http://24.media.tumblr.com/dbdd70a1e07a10cf2ebf733f2d6ad067/tumblr_n4hxc8y9lg1skleqro1_1280.jpg

Wow! That's quite a photo. Wonder what old building belonged to the outline on the wall?

Also, if that vertical separation in the brickwork just above the right side of the old roof outline is any indication of the structural integrity of the building, it looks like demolition of The Roy was the only real option.

Will there be any archaeology of the site before construction commences? My understanding from reading Halifax Underground was that excavation of old sites in the downtown core would have some degree of archaeological investigation before construction starts.

A good book, by the way, for anybody interested in the downtown.

http://www.amazon.ca/Underground-Halifax-Stories-Archaeology-City/dp/1551095270

Ziobrop
Apr 29, 2014, 4:59 PM
This is the Vogue Building Site in 1933. Note the Roy is Present. But not yet the vouge. Was hoping to find its neighbors down granville.

http://www.novascotia.ca/nsarm/share.asp?url=/nsarm/images/EastCoastPort&path=122010&title=W.R.%20MacAskill%20%20NSARM%20%20accession%20no.%201987-453%20no.%204230%20%20%20%20%20www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/%20%20%20%20%20c%202014

halifaxboyns
Apr 29, 2014, 8:42 PM
Well had a beltline route - that's funny.
That's what we call the communities south of 9 Avenue/CPR tracks in the Centre City of Calgary!

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 30, 2014, 2:07 AM
This is the Vogue Building Site in 1933. Note the Roy is Present. But not yet the vouge. Was hoping to find its neighbors down granville.

Nice photo - forgot that Woolworth's was once in the building. Would be neat to see what that building on Granville looked like.

Dmajackson
Apr 30, 2014, 3:30 AM
That's what we call the communities south of 9 Avenue/CPR tracks in the Centre City of Calgary!

Ssshh ... We cant let Calgary know they copied us. It'll make them angry and when Calgary's angry, Harper is angry. ;)

It appears it was Route 1 which was the loop route servicing Downtown, Quinpool, Oxford and Coburg/SGR.

Ziobrop
Apr 30, 2014, 2:46 PM
Nice photo - forgot that Woolworth's was once in the building. Would be neat to see what that building on Granville looked like.
was trying to find the house that left its outline. on the Granville Sackville Corner. Alas no luck

ns_kid
Apr 30, 2014, 5:22 PM

That was a great picture, Ziobrop. Yes, the Belt Line was the main tram car route in Halifax, circling the downtown from Duke Street, along Barrington to Spring Garden/Coburg to Oxford, to Quinpool/Cogswell, to Brunswick and back to Duke. Route 1 ran clockwise and route 2, counterclockwise, beginning in about 1922. The route (and the name) was maintained in 1949 when the trams were replaced by electric trolley coaches and lasted, I believe, until around 1963, when operator Nova Scotia Light and Power introduced a major route reorganization.

counterfactual
May 5, 2014, 11:47 PM
Was in the Starbucks on Barrington the other evening, the one across from the Roy.

It was packed! Surprised, because Tim Hortons in there before was dead by early evening, usually.

Maybe the street has some hope.

Not much work going on with the front end of the Roy demolition, but still good to get it going.

Ziobrop
May 6, 2014, 2:18 AM
They are full swing into the interior gut. They are also punching holes in various walls to the exterior though not nessasarilly visible to the street. Debris comes out a big hole facing sack vile street where the tattoo show was

fenwick16
May 6, 2014, 3:06 AM
They are full swing into the interior gut. They are also punching holes in various walls to the exterior though not nessasarilly visible to the street. Debris comes out a big hole facing sack vile street where the tattoo show was

You have an interesting collection of construction and demolition pictures. I like this one of the Roy building demolition. I can imagine it as a black and white scene from the old Twilight Zone TV series with Rod Serling providing the narration.

(source: Ziobrop - http://buildingtheroy.tumblr.com/ )
http://37.media.tumblr.com/247e081e9c3990425a9da0496c4eab65/tumblr_n53ze8vKOS1skleqro1_1280.jpg

Ziobrop
May 7, 2014, 12:24 PM
You have an interesting collection of construction and demolition pictures. I like this one of the Roy building demolition. I can imagine it as a black and white scene from the old Twilight Zone TV series with Rod Serling providing the narration.

(source: Ziobrop - http://buildingtheroy.tumblr.com/ )

How about wildlife narration by Sir David Attenbrough
"Starved of Masonry, the skidstear is forced to gorge on timber and plaster. It Periodically appears at the entrance of its Den with offerings for its nemesis the excavator..."

haligonia
May 11, 2014, 11:57 PM
I haven't been following the politics of this development very closely, but I'm excited that it's finally getting off the ground. Just to clarify - once the demolition is finished, does the developer have approval to move directly into construction of the tower?

counterfactual
May 12, 2014, 12:59 AM
I haven't been following the politics of this development very closely, but I'm excited that it's finally getting off the ground. Just to clarify - once the demolition is finished, does the developer have approval to move directly into construction of the tower?

Yep. Approved pre-HRMxD, and grandfathered in.

ns_kid
May 12, 2014, 12:24 PM
It appears the heavy lifting is about to begin on the Roy Building demolition. Two excavators are now in place on the roof of the building to begin taking the structure down, floor by floor. This is the same technique Dexter used on the nearby Bank of Canada property.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5520/14188632203_5c3d2bf2df_d.jpg

Hali87
May 12, 2014, 5:56 PM
A couple photos of the model in the sales office.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/7336/13984146157_bc3b5f36f2.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2930/13984152097_c5506d4e1a.jpg

Ziobrop
May 15, 2014, 1:25 PM
It appears the heavy lifting is about to begin on the Roy Building demolition. Two excavators are now in place on the roof of the building to begin taking the structure down, floor by floor. This is the same technique Dexter used on the nearby Bank of Canada property.

Is that from the Maritime Center?
Had a friend in Centennial Bldg take this for Me.

As always, from http://buildingtheroy.tumblr.com/
http://24.media.tumblr.com/96edee9afc82b4bda8866ade6e57a6a6/tumblr_n5mae8yszS1skleqro1_1280.jpg