PDA

View Full Version : Name OKC's new bball team

Pages : [1] 2

Major AWACS
Jul 3, 2008, 4:27 AM
While not always my favourite location (as many read during my over 4 years living there), I am actually happy to see OKC get a permanent NBA team. It will be interesting to see fan support in a few years, but I do honestly believe it will stick.

So name the team :banana:

And be nice-I would be the first one to say Trailer Types or something but lets all be nice and serious.

I heard a few names on the sports radio while there last weekend but none were super: wranglers, roughnecks and cowboys were mentioned.

Ciao,
AWACS

spursfan
Jul 3, 2008, 4:33 AM
I've heard thunder, thunderbirds, barons, oilers....not sure i really like any of these. Barons is all right

dollaztx
Jul 3, 2008, 4:38 AM
Wow, I never thought they would move. Maybe something having to do with natives. What is that like four teams in this forum region?

texastarkus
Jul 3, 2008, 4:50 AM
Wow, I never thought they would move

How about the Oklahoma City Pink Flamingos?

Is that trailer park enough for ya?

Trae
Jul 3, 2008, 7:42 AM
I heard Oklahoma City Barons was popular. I wonder if they will drop the city, and just use Oklahoma.

Paul in S.A TX
Jul 3, 2008, 7:44 AM
This is all I could think of.

Oklahoma City Rustlers
Oklahoma City Bandits
Oklahoma City Roughriders
OKC Tornados
OkC Twisters
OKC Legends
OKC Freedom
OKC Stampede
OKC Stallions
OKC Toros
OKC Energy
OKC Pistols
OKC Rampage- There is SA Rampage AHL
OKC Indians
OKC Fire
OKC Blaze
OKC Force
OKC Riders

Boquillas
Jul 3, 2008, 7:57 AM
The Oklahoma Rush, as in "land rush." Don't know why, but it seems like a good name for an NBA team. You think, speed, adrenaline, history, it's all there.

Trae
Jul 3, 2008, 9:28 AM
History?

Boquillas
Jul 3, 2008, 9:53 AM
Oklahoma was the "state built in a day," sort of. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Run_of_1889

Known more to Oklahomans I suppose, though there was a movie about it starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman (Far and Away). Thousands lined up along the Texas and Arkansas borders of Oklahoma in 1889, then rushed in on May 18.

Paul in S.A TX
Jul 3, 2008, 10:20 AM
Oklahoma was the "state built in a day," sort of. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Run_of_1889

Known more to Oklahomans I suppose, though there was a movie about it starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman (Far and Away). Thousands lined up along the Texas and Arkansas borders of Oklahoma in 1889, then rushed in on May 18.

I was thinking of that movie, just couldn't relate a name to it, that would best fit. OKC RUSH? Hmm?

chancla
Jul 3, 2008, 12:58 PM
Oklahoma Land Thieves ;)

PLANSIT
Jul 3, 2008, 2:31 PM
Oklahoma City Starbucks
Oklahoma City Frappuccinos

In all seriousness:
Oklahoma City Barons (w/ Black and Gold jerseys)

sakyle04
Jul 3, 2008, 2:50 PM
Barons sounds right, but what exactly is it...?

Main Entry: bar·on
Pronunciation: \ˈber-ən, ˈba-rən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German baro freeman
Date: 13th century

1 a: one of a class of tenants holding his rights and title by military or other honorable service directly from a feudal superior (as a king) b: a lord of the realm : noble, peer
2 a: a member of the lowest grade of the peerage in Great Britain b: a nobleman on the continent of Europe of varying rank c: a member of the lowest order of nobility in Japan
3: a joint of meat consisting of two sirloins or loins and legs not cut apart at the backbone <a baron of beef>
4: a man who possesses great power or influence in some field of activity <a cattle baron>

Complex01
Jul 3, 2008, 2:51 PM
I cant think of plenty of names for them but they none of them are decent.

Anyhow I feel very sad for the city of Seattle. I will never support this team being in the OKC. They have taken a legacy that will not be forgotten...

sakyle04
Jul 3, 2008, 3:06 PM
Wow, I never thought they would move. Maybe something having to do with natives. What is that like four teams in this forum region?

actually 5 teams.

NO, OKC, SAT, DAL, HOU

alexjon
Jul 3, 2008, 3:22 PM
OKC Taibo

dollaztx
Jul 3, 2008, 3:49 PM
What about the Oklahoma City Dreamcathers? In the web you can have a picture of a basketball as if it were going through the net.

BG918
Jul 3, 2008, 4:06 PM
I like the Barons name...and these colors:
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1941/durantbaronju2.jpg

alon504
Jul 3, 2008, 4:07 PM
OKC Meths

TexasStar
Jul 3, 2008, 6:49 PM
It's been years since the USFL went away so it's time to resurrect...

THE OKLAHOMA CITY OUTLAWS

Well, I like it.
(And everyone in the Pacific Northwest would agree with the name...)

vertex
Jul 3, 2008, 7:08 PM
How about the Oklahoma Panhandle(rs)?

PHX31
Jul 3, 2008, 8:08 PM
I found this thread because I like sports logos/naming/jerseys, etc, so I figured I'd chime in even though I'm not from the region.

I like the Oklahoma City Barons. I think it is a cool name, and it's my pet doberman's name already, so because of that I'll be a fan, even though it sucks what is happening to the Sonics. Any other name besides the Barons and I'll be against the OKC team and sympatheic to Seattle.

stranger
Jul 3, 2008, 10:08 PM
You guys hold Oklahoma up to such high standards it amazes me.... :koko:

Trae
Jul 3, 2008, 10:17 PM
No we don't.

Buckeye Native 001
Jul 3, 2008, 10:36 PM
Twisters has already been used, but how about:

Oklahoma City Cyclones

or

Oklahoma City Arrows (or is that stirring up too much controversy using a weapon for a name a la the Washington Bullets?)

or...

Oklahoma City Bombers (sick joke, sick joke, probably not even funny, just throwing it out there to be crass)

Trae
Jul 3, 2008, 11:42 PM
Bombers? I like Oklahoma T-Macs (sick joke, sick joke, probably not even funny, just throwing it out there to be crass).

But on the serious side, I like Barons. Those colors look good.

shane453
Jul 4, 2008, 12:20 AM
Yep Barons sounds really nice and I like that mockup. We'll know pretty soon I guess, they said the new name, colors, and logos will be finished quickly.

I really don't understand the whole "I will never support the team being in OKC" thing, but over time I suppose that will go away. Teams relocate, the NBA is behind the move, that's how it goes. This will pretty much not even be the Sonics anymore- all that legacy remains in Seattle since the name and colors will change.

Because of that, Seattle probably #1 on the expansion list with the whole history and reputation of the Sonics just waiting for a new team to come in and pick up where they left off.

Trae
Jul 4, 2008, 12:55 AM
I'm sure the "never support OKC" will go away once Seattle gets it team.

alon504
Jul 4, 2008, 1:55 AM
Well, the sad thing is none of the players want to play in OKC. What about free agency? They are going to have to do something because if the players don't want to play in OKC, then you have problems. What happened was the unethical and classless way OKC tried to steal the Hornets behind the scenes while New Orleans was still reeling from the largest disaster in US history, then this whole fiasco of a 41 year NBA tradition just dieing and heading to OKC. People close to the game smell it all and know it all. And they don't like it. I know OKC is excited, but, alot of people know what OKC tried to do to New Orleans and how Bennett tried over and over to purchase a majority of the Hornets and Shinn absolutely refused. And then to go in and steal the Sonics from Seattle...wait until this next trial starts with all of these emails being made public. It's going to put OKC and this move in an even worse light. OKC, for now, puts a very bad taste in peoples mouthes....especially for sports fans (and players).

Trae
Jul 4, 2008, 1:57 AM
Yeah, moving from Seattle to OKC must be tough on the players ;). No offense to Oklahoma City.

spursfan
Jul 4, 2008, 2:17 AM
Well, the sad thing is none of the players want to play in OKC. What about free agency? They are going to have to do something because if the players don't want to play in OKC, then you have problems. What happened was the unethical and classless way OKC tried to steal the Hornets behind the scenes while New Orleans was still reeling from the largest disaster in US history, then this whole fiasco of a 41 year NBA tradition just dieing and heading to OKC. People close to the game smell it all and know it all. And they don't like it. I know OKC is excited, but, alot of people know what OKC tried to do to New Orleans and how Bennett tried over and over to purchase a majority of the Hornets and Shinn absolutely refused. And then to go in and steal the Sonics from Seattle...wait until this next trial starts with all of these emails being made public. It's going to put OKC and this move in an even worse light. OKC, for now, puts a very bad taste in peoples mouthes....especially for sports fans (and players).
And NBA players are just chomping at the bit to play in New Orleans...you could say this about any small-market NBA team.

Trae
Jul 4, 2008, 2:18 AM
And NBA players are just chomping at the bit to play in New Orleans...you could say this about any small-market NBA team.
Yeah, I'm sure they like partying along Bourbon Street and getting fat off of crawfish e'toufee.

alexjon
Jul 4, 2008, 2:34 AM
With the way Bennett runs the team, I'm sure they'll call the whole city Bricktown in no time.

alon504
Jul 4, 2008, 2:39 AM

Exactly, who in the world would want to play with Chris Paul, Tyson Chandler, David West, Peja Stojakovic, etc.? Who would want to play for an up and coming team that is destined to win it all over the next decade or would they rather play with the aging, end of era Spurs...LOL. And why would an NBA player want to actually come and play in a city that HAS an NFL team? Gotta wonder. :tup:

spursfan
Jul 4, 2008, 2:59 AM
Exactly, who in the world would want to play with Chris Paul, Tyson Chandler, David West, Peja Stojakovic, etc.? Who would want to play for an up and coming team that is destined to win it all over the next decade or would they rather play with the aging, end of era Spurs...LOL. And why would an NBA player want to actually come and play in a city that HAS an NFL team? Gotta wonder. :tup:
I was talking about the fact that the city of new orleans is a small market..i recognize that the hornets are an elite team (still not better than the spurs however :banana: )

Trae
Jul 4, 2008, 3:06 AM
The Hornets can die. Fuck the Hornets, Spurs, Mavericks, and Barons.

http://nba08trn.ucoz.net/Houston_Rockets.gif

alon504
Jul 4, 2008, 3:16 AM
I was talking about the fact that the city of new orleans is a small market..i recognize that the hornets are an elite team (still not better than the spurs however :banana: )

Yeah, well....we got ya next year baby!!! Watch! Trae>Rockets SUCK!! :notacrook:

spursfan
Jul 4, 2008, 3:17 AM
The Hornets can die. Fuck the Hornets, Spurs, Mavericks, and Barons.

http://nba08trn.ucoz.net/Houston_Rockets.gif
ahh the T-Mac first-round virgins :D

Trae
Jul 4, 2008, 3:19 AM
Next year, we'll have Yaozer with us for the playoffs. T-Mac will not be a virgin anymore! :)

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7426/22inarowdb0.jpg

And we completely robbed teams this year in the draft. We got Donta Greene AND then got Joey Dorsey for free.

Get ready. :D

oldmanshirt
Jul 4, 2008, 3:22 AM
Now now, there's an easy way to settle this:

Spurs = 4 titles

Rockets = 2 titles

Hornets = 1 Southwest division title

There. Settled. :tup:

Trae
Jul 4, 2008, 3:24 AM
Rockets will win the title this year. Book it, quote it, print it, post it. It will happen. We might get another one of these, too:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2335/2369353154_022a47fab1_o.jpg

We are definitely getting a Texas/Southcentral NBA thread going when the season starts.

oldmanshirt
Jul 4, 2008, 3:28 AM
I dunno, man, we spotted y'all Scola last year and it still didn't do any good. Not to mention depending on Yao and T-Mac to both stay healthy is like depending on Paris Hilton to do your taxes.

spursfan
Jul 4, 2008, 3:33 AM
Houston always has huge expectations going into the season....then something happens. Even if they stay healthy, I dont see them beating the spurs or hornets. But who knows, i just want the freakin season to start.

Trae
Jul 4, 2008, 3:49 AM
I dunno, man, we spotted y'all Scola last year and it still didn't do any good. Not to mention depending on Yao and T-Mac to both stay healthy is like depending on Paris Hilton to do your taxes.

With Yao in the lineup, Scola did pretty damn good. When Landry came in and exploded, Scola's production stayed about the same, but Landry took some of his minutes away.

And I am pretty sure both Yao and T-Mac will get injured during the season, but if they are at full strength in the playoffs, along with our much improved role players, we can get out of the first round, second round, conference finals, and then whoops whoever's ass is in the Finals. Yuh!!! Book it. :D

Shasta
Jul 4, 2008, 4:55 AM
Oklahoma Dust Bowlers
Oklahoma Oh-Kays
Oklahoma Grape Wraths
Oklahoma Dirty 30s
Oklahoma Opossum
Oklahoma Ocelots

Hot Rod
Jul 4, 2008, 9:19 AM
The name will be Oklahoma City ___, it's written in the contract between Bennett and the city. Nice try losers.

anyways, I also like Barons because it is quite marketable and follows the NBA's (add an s to the end of every team) model.

As far as the apathy from the Pac Northwest, that is mainly from the die hard fans. Most people I know who live here, myself included, could care less. The Sonics who are going to OKC are not the same team that played in the finals against Michael Jordan or even the team who won it all in 79.

Sure, Supersonics is synonomous with the City of Seattle - but things and times do change. And it is not OKC's fault that any of this happened.

As to the disgruntaled New Orleans posters, you actually owe a lot of thanks to Oklahoma City or there would be no New Orleans Hornets. Do you really think that if another city hosted the Hornets that they'd return to N.O.? Try Kansas City? Do you really think that if KC had Sprint Center and 'temporarily' hosted the Hornets, that the team would have left KC and returned to N.O.?

You guys need to be THANKFUL that OKC made the Hornets into the contender they are. Remember, it was only a year ago that the Hornets were in OKC getting FAT off that oil money and showed New Orleans how to support a team. You guys ONLY JUST NOW started supporting them, and it took a trip to the playoffs to get people there off their ass.

You might think Im being rough, but you guys are being rough on OKC too; the same very people who saved your ass. All you New Orleans people do is complain and want pity from people for your problems. Well, OKC has had its fair share of problems (May 5 tornadoes, Timothy McVey, dust bowl, etc) yet I don't hear OKC people crying asking for pity unlike YOU GUYS who keep rubbing Katrina in every single chance somebody rebutts the negative OKC propaganda YOU started.

And now you're being a-holes just because OKC now has a team. Didn't you know OKC was going to get a team, Hornets or somebody else??? I would think you guys would be elated that your biggest threat of the Hornets relocating has just been resolved. Count your blessings, because if it weren't for Stern - the Hornets would have NEVER returned to N.O. Shinn wanted to stay, but Stern brokered a deal with Bennett

and here we are. Bennett got the Sonics and moving them to OKC; Shinn must return to N.O. Be happy! KC will be soon looking to swipe the Hornets from ya, ditto Seattle once WE decide if we want to build an arena.

Oh, by the way - Chris Paul doesn't seem to mind living in and returning to Oklahoma City. I don't see him having his b-ball camp in New Orleans (for those of you who don't know, he's still having it in OKC). ...

The CPaul, Chandler crew that NO people like to gloat about were put together IN OKLAHOMA CITY with OKLAHOMA CITY MONEY!! YOU have LOTS to be thankful for - don't bite the hand that fed you.

I wouldn't be surprised if CP3 didn't end up BACK in Oklahoma City after a year or so, playing for the Barons. You guys better hurry up and build that practice facility.

Now as to the Sonics, may they rest in peace. Im not saying I agree with how it went down [in my opinion, the Sonics should have left when the team was sold; none of this bs back and forth between the city and Bennett]. Surely that would have happened if the team was sold to the San Jose guy and nobody would have cared!

Good luck and congratulations to Oklahoma City. I wont cry a tear, Seattle will still be the anchor of the US Pac NW - we'll just have to go to Portland for the NBA (they come up here for the NFL and MLB) (and besides, Paul Allen owns that team, so we'd still be supporting Seattle).

Perhaps the Trailblazers might even split some games to appease the fanatics?

Trae
Jul 4, 2008, 9:30 AM
The name will be Oklahoma City ___, it's written in the contract between Bennett and the city. Nice try losers.

anyways, I also like Barons because it is quite marketable and follows the NBA's (add an s to the end of every team) model.

As far as the apathy from the Pac Northwest, that is mainly from the die hard fans. Most people I know who live here, myself included, could care less. The Sonics who are going to OKC are not the same team that played in the finals against Michael Jordan or even the team who won it all in 79.

Sure, Supersonics is synonomous with the City of Seattle - but things and times do change. And it is not OKC's fault that any of this happened.

As to the disgruntaled New Orleans posters, you actually owe a lot of thanks to Oklahoma City or there would be no New Orleans Hornets. Do you really think that if another city hosted the Hornets that they'd return to N.O.? Try Kansas City? Do you really think that if KC had Sprint Center and 'temporarily' hosted the Hornets, that the team would have left KC and returned to N.O.?

You guys need to be THANKFUL that OKC made the Hornets into the contender they are. Remember, it was only a year ago that the Hornets were in OKC getting FAT off that oil money and showed New Orleans how to support a team. You guys ONLY JUST NOW started supporting them, and it took a trip to the playoffs to get people there off their ass.

You might think Im being rough, but you guys are being rough on OKC too; the same very people who saved your ass. All you New Orleans people do is complain and want pity from people for your problems. Well, OKC has had its fair share of problems (May 5 tornadoes, Timothy McVey, dust bowl, etc) yet I don't hear OKC people crying asking for pity unlike YOU GUYS who keep rubbing Katrina in every single chance somebody rebutts the negative OKC propaganda YOU started.

And now you're being a-holes just because OKC now has a team. Didn't you know OKC was going to get a team, Hornets or somebody else??? I would think you guys would be elated that your biggest threat of the Hornets relocating has just been resolved. Count your blessings, because if it weren't for Stern - the Hornets would have NEVER returned to N.O. Shinn wanted to stay, but Stern brokered a deal with Bennett

and here we are. Bennett got the Sonics and moving them to OKC; Shinn must return to N.O. Be happy! KC will be soon looking to swipe the Hornets from ya, ditto Seattle once WE decide if we want to build an arena.

Oh, by the way - Chris Paul doesn't seem to mind living in and returning to Oklahoma City. I don't see him having his b-ball camp in New Orleans (for those of you who don't know, he's still having it in OKC). ...

The CPaul, Chandler crew that NO people like to gloat about were put together IN OKLAHOMA CITY with OKLAHOMA CITY MONEY!! YOU have LOTS to be thankful for - don't bite the hand that fed you.

I wouldn't be surprised if CP3 didn't end up BACK in Oklahoma City after a year or so, playing for the Barons. You guys better hurry up and build that practice facility.

Now as to the Sonics, may they rest in peace. Im not saying I agree with how it went down [in my opinion, the Sonics should have left when the team was sold; none of this bs back and forth between the city and Bennett]. Surely that would have happened if the team was sold to the San Jose guy and nobody would have cared!

Good luck and congratulations to Oklahoma City. I wont cry a tear, Seattle will still be the anchor of the US Pac NW - we'll just have to go to Portland for the NBA (they come up here for the NFL and MLB) (and besides, Paul Allen owns that team, so we'd still be supporting Seattle).

Perhaps the Trailblazers might even split some games to appease the fanatics?

Man WTF?!

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h135/Dustingood1/Permabanned.gif

Chill out...

Hot Rod
Jul 4, 2008, 9:41 AM
Trae, you should listen to your own recommendation.

Don't get mad at me because I'm backing OKC.

Trae
Jul 4, 2008, 9:48 AM
Your post just sounded so hostile. I was going to recommend a pill for you to take, but you have calmed down on your own ;).

And you backing OKC doesn't make me mad.

sakyle04
Jul 4, 2008, 12:27 PM

:haha: :haha:

If the Spurs get Maggette, it won't matter who's healthy in Houston.

alon504
Jul 4, 2008, 5:57 PM
This is the typical defensive attitude we've seen time and time again from OKC residents. They are bitter that nobody supports them and bitter that the players don't want to play there. It is embarrassing, if you think about it. There does seem to be some type of severe sense of paranoia there about what others think about OKC. The poster from OKC posted a bunch of "blah, blah, blah." That's all it is. And everything in the post is about "What if's". I'm more of a "What is," person than a "What if," person. Bottom line, the OKC team will probably be in KC in 5 years. They are going to have severe sticker shock when they see what's up and where it's going. It'll never work in OKC...they don't think in terms of professionalism, they are stuck on the collegiate level....just like Memphis, but, even worse. It's as bad as Baton Rouge in OKC.

Major AWACS
Jul 4, 2008, 6:26 PM
Oh Alon504 you seem to be the first to cast stones at OKC when
NOLA isn't exactly a media darling when it comes to Basketball:
ESPN ranks them as the #2 most likely team to move behind the Nashvilel PRedators (NHL)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3472902

Ciao,
AWACS

alon504
Jul 4, 2008, 6:42 PM
Oh Alon504 you seem to be the first to cast stones at OKC when
NOLA isn't exactly a media darling when it comes to Basketball:
ESPN ranks them as the #2 most likely team to move behind the Nashvilel PRedators (NHL)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3472902

Ciao,
AWACS
Interesting....over 11,000 full season tickets sold for next season (5,000 which are new--the highest in the entire NBA), 64 suites: All sold and a waiting list has been established. Record sponsorships since the team's founding 20 years ago for next season. And a locked with no outs lease for 10 to 15 years that could be signed any day now with the State of Lousiana. Classic example of a team that is about to relocate!!! NOT!!!! LOL. ESPN seems clueless to a new lease that is imminent, but, of course they thought the Hornets were still playing in Charlotte while they were in OKC!!!

oldmanshirt
Jul 4, 2008, 7:00 PM
Interesting....over 11,000 full season tickets sold for next season (5,000 which are new--the highest in the entire NBA), 64 suites: All sold and a waiting list has been established. Record sponsorships since the team's founding 20 years ago for next season. And a locked with no outs lease for 10 to 15 years that could be signed any day now with the State of Lousiana. Classic example of a team that is about to relocate!!! NOT!!!! LOL. ESPN seems clueless to a new lease that is imminent, but, of course they thought the Hornets were still playing in Charlotte while they were in OKC!!!

Hmm, what it sounds like is a classic example of a fair-weather fan base only supporting their team when they're good. As I recall, all that "relocation" talk only died down once the Hornets got close to the top of WC last year. Let's see what happens next year if CP3 gets injured, or if David West's back starts acting up and your team falls back into the lottery. It'd be interesting to see how many of those 5,000 people renew their season tickets in that scenario.

Oh, and spare us the talk about how ESPN doesn't pay attention to y'all down in NO. They were slobbering all over themselves in praise to CP3 even after the Spurs bounced you from the playoffs.

alon504
Jul 4, 2008, 7:39 PM
Hmm, what it sounds like is a classic example of a fair-weather fan base only supporting their team when they're good. As I recall, all that "relocation" talk only died down once the Hornets got close to the top of WC last year. Let's see what happens next year if CP3 gets injured, or if David West's back starts acting up and your team falls back into the lottery. It'd be interesting to see how many of those 5,000 people renew their season tickets in that scenario.

Oh, and spare us the talk about how ESPN doesn't pay attention to y'all down in NO. They were slobbering all over themselves in praise to CP3 even after the Spurs bounced you from the playoffs.

I'd call the fans down here "skeptical" over "fair weather." The Hornets finally won the fans over when it became evident that this team truly does want to stay here and that is when it changed (in addition to the All Star game). This goes back pre-Katrina. You'll see. We have nothing to prove. As the years pass, and the Saints and the Hornets continue to just play and play here, people will move on to some other place to pick on. To be quite frank....and those that know New Orleanians and our attitudes know this is the truth--"We really don't give a shit what others say or think."

shane453
Jul 4, 2008, 8:05 PM
The only way to settle all these doubts about OKC as a viable professional sports market is to wait and see. Some indicators are pretty freaking strong already: Since Wednesday afternoon when the move was announced as being next season, 11,000 names have been added to a ticket request list (they aren't even for sale yet) with phones at the Ford Center ringing constantly. In 48 hours.

Hopefully the players keep an open mind about OKC- admittedly, the only place I would consider living other than Oklahoma/Texas would be the Pacific Northwest. But as long as they are open, they'll like it here.

Architect2010
Jul 4, 2008, 8:10 PM
This is the typical defensive attitude we've seen time and time again from OKC residents.

Funny. I've seen and heard enough from HOT ROD from various forums to know that he lives in Seattle...NOT OKC.
Quick to assume aren't we?

I'd call the fans down here "skeptical" over "fair weather."

Nah...like oldmanshirt said. You guys support them when they were good. And your right... you shouldn't care about what people think of you guys. Thats smart. You proved yourself for one season. Good job. I really do hope they keep it up even if they start sucking again.

Trae. I'm sorry. I'm ignorant of all things NBA. What did The Rockets do 22 times in a row?

stranger
Jul 4, 2008, 9:51 PM
Rockets won 22 in a row last year, most with Yao Ming injured. It was what, like second or third longest streak in NBA history?

alon504
Jul 4, 2008, 10:41 PM
Rockets won 22 in a row last year, most with Yao Ming injured. It was what, like second or third longest streak in NBA history?

That was an amazing run.

DruidCity
Jul 4, 2008, 10:49 PM
Back on point, the Oklahoma City Okra shall sprout mightily from the ground, and when the team reaches full boil, shall overcome any foe with overwhelming viscosity :tup:

Trae
Jul 5, 2008, 2:01 AM
:haha: :haha:

If the Spurs get Maggette, it won't matter who's healthy in Houston.

Maybe...

I still think a completely healthy Rockets vs. a completely healthy Spurs (with Maggette) can go either way......

I lied. Rockets in a blowout. :D

Trae
Jul 5, 2008, 2:05 AM
That was an amazing run.

It sure was! Second longest streak in NBA history.

I went to the Boston game, when the Celtics ended the run. It was a sad, sad ride home. I wanted to punch KG in the face for showing off at the end of the 4th after the game had been decided.

And Celtics fans came out of nowhere. Like seriously, where the hell have you guys been? Filled up like 25% of Toyota Center.

unusualfire
Jul 5, 2008, 2:05 AM
OKC Herders

alon504
Jul 5, 2008, 3:19 AM
It sure was! Second longest streak in NBA history.

I went to the Boston game, when the Celtics ended the run. It was a sad, sad ride home. I wanted to punch KG in the face for showing off at the end of the 4th after the game had been decided.

And Celtics fans came out of nowhere. Like seriously, where the hell have you guys been? Filled up like 25% of Toyota Center.

Hah! I went to the Celtics/Hornets game and they (Celtics fans) were all over....except, Hornets won. It was one of the sweetest NBA victories I've ever been to ever. We were losing by 20 points in the third and came from behind and won. The boo-birds were freaking the Celtics out and it worked!

bresilhac
Jul 5, 2008, 5:54 AM
The new OKC tickets website has Storm in its URL. I suppose this will be the name for the new team.

https://secure.sonics-storm.com/forms/nbaokc.aspx

http://www.nba.com/sonics/

Trae
Jul 5, 2008, 7:44 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

If that is the name..... :haha:

alexjon
Jul 5, 2008, 10:03 AM
The same as the Seattle WNBA team?

What.

Paul in S.A TX
Jul 5, 2008, 12:20 PM
Maybe...

I still think a completely healthy Rockets vs. a completely healthy Spurs (with Maggette) can go either way......

I lied. Rockets in a blowout. :D

Trae you most be smoking. Rockets please!

TexasBoi
Jul 5, 2008, 1:51 PM
Rockets and championship should not be in the same sentence until they show they can stay healthy a full 82 game season and Tmac can get out of the 1st round. He isn't called a 2nd round virgin for nothing. The west will come down to the Lakers, Spurs,Jazz (that is if Boozer wants to play in the playoffs for once) and Hornets in 2009.

Trae
Jul 5, 2008, 2:32 PM
Rockets and championship should not be in the same sentence until they show they can stay healthy a full 82 game season and Tmac can get out of the 1st round. He isn't called a 2nd round virgin for nothing. The west will come down to the Lakers, Spurs,Jazz (that is if Boozer wants to play in the playoffs for once) and Hornets in 2009.

I have faith. It will happen this year...

texcolo
Jul 5, 2008, 3:51 PM
I hope Okey's new arena is not in Brick Town. Wouldn't that be a horrible place for a basketball team, brick town? It's almost as bad as moving to 'Air Ball City.'

shane453
Jul 5, 2008, 4:42 PM
The new OKC tickets website has Storm in its URL. I suppose this will be the name for the new team.

https://secure.sonics-storm.com/forms/nbaokc.aspx

http://www.nba.com/sonics/

Storm is the name of the WNBA team that was included in the sale of the Sonics. Storm will not be the name of the OKC team.

I hope Okey's new arena is not in Brick Town. Wouldn't that be a horrible place for a basketball team, brick town? It's almost as bad as moving to 'Air Ball City.'

I don't really know what you're talking about. There will be no new arena, the Ford Center is in the downtown business district a few blocks from Bricktown.

alon504
Jul 5, 2008, 4:58 PM
What is Bricktown?

Major AWACS
Jul 5, 2008, 5:29 PM
What is Bricktown?

An area in downtown OKC around the old warehouse district that was redone, partially with the MAPS tax-financing plan, that contains the minor league ballpark, Amtrak, many restaurants, bars, clubs, the canals (riverwalk), hotels and condos/lofts/apartments. Basically a large "urban" entertainment district.

Ciao,
AWACS

hudkina
Jul 5, 2008, 6:17 PM
I think Barons is the best suggestion so far.

BTW, I don't see why anyone should be upset about this. Just about every franchise west of the Mississippi is the product of a relocation. And if the people of Seattle really loved the Sonics, then they would have supported them better.

Paul in S.A TX
Jul 5, 2008, 7:08 PM
Baron's doesn't sound much like a Sports team name even though it relates to the state.

Raining Inside
Jul 5, 2008, 7:19 PM
I don't know about Barons. It sounds like Barren. ;)

Fiat Lux
Jul 5, 2008, 7:39 PM
The Okie Weasles. It represents the owners and city leaders well. I wish this franchise the very worst.

oldmanshirt
Jul 5, 2008, 7:39 PM
Baron's doesn't sound much like a Sports team name even though it relates to the state.

Michael Jordan played for the Birmingham Barons during his first retirement.

Fiat Lux
Jul 5, 2008, 7:41 PM
And if the people of Seattle really loved the Sonics, then they would have supported them better.

WE DID SUPPORT THEM WELL! That wasn't the issue! The issue was thieving, lying Okies and their NBA enablers.

The Sonics were one of the best supported NBA franchises in history. Set attendance records, led league in attendance, sold out 100% of games even with the NBA's 2nd highest ticket price!

We supported them, that was not an issue whatsoever.

stranger
Jul 5, 2008, 8:06 PM
WE DID SUPPORT THEM WELL! That wasn't the issue! The issue was thieving, lying Okies and their NBA enablers.

The Sonics were one of the best supported NBA franchises in history. Set attendance records, led league in attendance, sold out 100% of games even with the NBA's 2nd highest ticket price!

This is an OUTRAGE! I've been called thieving, lying, and an Okie... but NEVER have I been called an NBA ENABLER! :hell:

Fiat Lux
Jul 5, 2008, 8:12 PM
This is an OUTRAGE! I've been called thieving, lying, and an Okie... but NEVER have I been called an NBA ENABLER! :hell:

Are you a member of the gaggle of liars and thieves (aka PBC) or a member of the OKC govt? If not, the adjectives being used are not directed your way. My issue is with your sleezy, lying pols., city leaders, and robberbarons.

Trae
Jul 5, 2008, 9:02 PM

I agree. The Rockets had the worst attendance in the league (or near the worst) in the early part of this decade. I'm glad they didn't move.

alon504
Jul 6, 2008, 1:40 AM
People in OKC have never had a professional team. They don't realize the emotional ties people put in with their own professional teams....esp. a team that has been in place for 41 years. This is totally something that they could never understand. All they are used to is college sports where you have a revolving group of players every 3 to 4 years and the dynamics are completely different. This became very evident to me when the City of OKC, attempted in such a cold and callous way, to rip the Hornets from New Orleans while we were struggling to rebound from an unheard of natural disaster that killed over 1,850 people. They could careless about New Orleans or our emotional state at that time. All they cared about was the opportunity to grab a professional sports team, make it OKC's home, and then everyone in the rest of the nation would have respect for OKC. OKC basically stuck the middle finger at New Orleans while we still had dead people laying on our streets.

shane453
Jul 6, 2008, 4:08 PM
^^

Excuse me?

Discussions of a permanent move to OKC were most likely started by the Hornets ownership themselves.

Obviously, Oklahoma City has no idea what it's like to experience tragedy and therefore cannot relate or sympathize with any city going through a terrible disaster... That's what you might think if you live under a rock.

Of any city in the nation that can empathize with the post-Katrina situation, OKC is definitely right up there.

LouisianaCharm
Jul 6, 2008, 5:17 PM
what happened in seattle was horrible and i hope this never has to happen to any franchise, but the way the people of oklahoma are treating this issue is deplorable to say the least. you finally get your spotlight, and want to show yourselves as being classless. cities like new orleans and seattle have been doing this pro sports thing for decades, and now you guys are disrespecting your elders in the sports game......show some class newbies......

worthy cook
Jul 7, 2008, 3:18 PM
Baron, Aviators, Outlaws

alexjon
Jul 7, 2008, 3:55 PM
Obviously, Oklahoma City has no idea what it's like to experience tragedy and therefore cannot relate or sympathize with any city going through a terrible disaster... That's what you might think if you live under a rock.

Real classy.

Comparing an isolated event to a wide-scale tragedy as justification for nabbing a team? An on-going tragedy, even? As a nation, we poured our hearts out to you and you come around and act like people owe you something?

Is this because a world-class city experienced something monumental and soul-rending and you almost got something out of it?

No, nobody owes you anything. Don't turn it into Joke-lahoma City.

oldmanshirt
Jul 7, 2008, 4:19 PM
Wow. I've seen "my city's skyline is taller than your city's skyline" threads or "my city's population density is higher than your city's population density", but this is definitely the first time I've seen a "my city's tragedy was bigger than your city's tragedy" thread.

Sad.

alexjon
Jul 7, 2008, 4:28 PM
The world is tragedy, sorrow, sadness and darkness. Okay, fine.

Let's get a basketball team out of it! Gothsketball!

worthy cook
Jul 7, 2008, 4:56 PM
If you look back it was a New Orleans poster (Alon) who started this nonsense.

Yes we hosted the hornets. From the response to the team the city used its success to try to get us up as a consideration for a team. Did that overshadow the horribleness of the hurricane. No. I, as well as fellow church members, went down there to help. Am I asking for something in return? No. Anyone who thought the Hornets would stay here is a moron. On that note, the Hornets ARE back in New Orleans, why still so much hate.

A trajedy is a tragedy, no matter how small or large it is. Both cities have experienced the worst. Natural disaster and terrorism.

I don't think we deserve anything. But the truth is that OKC did what we had to do to get an NBA team. Successfully hosting the hornets, passing the arena vote, and getting league approval.

I know you are mad about how the whole Seattle situation worked out but the NBA will be dumb not to go back there and I expect a heated rivalry between the two cities.

As for my favorite names - Barons, Aviators, Outlaws

Trae
Jul 7, 2008, 5:38 PM
The NBA was dumb for leaving large markets like Vancouver and Seattle and going to small markets like Memphis and Oklahoma City.

alexjon
Jul 7, 2008, 6:18 PM
A trajedy is a tragedy, no matter how small or large it is. Both cities have experienced the worst. Natural disaster and terrorism.

This is where you discredit your argument as it's in line with what shane said and ignores the ongoing nature of the Katrina disaster. It's real petty to bring up the New Orleans thing time and again and I'm getting sick of it.

Let's move on.

deerhoof
Jul 7, 2008, 7:14 PM
The NBA was dumb for leaving large markets like Vancouver and Seattle and going to small markets like Memphis and Oklahoma City.

i read some of the comments in this thread and this best describes the most amusing part of the deal. why would the nba think it would be a good idea to move from seattle? the only way this could make sense is if there were already plans in progress to bring another team there in the near future. also, if i was a nba player on the sonics, i'd be bummed if i was moving to okc from seattle. yikes.

JACKinBeantown
Jul 7, 2008, 7:17 PM
Here's my name:

The Oklahoma City Seattle Supersonics.

sroberts24
Jul 7, 2008, 7:42 PM
This is frustrating.... i'm from okc born and raised, i love it here.... i am also a die hard sports fan, season ticket holder for OU football and basketball, which is as close to a major franchise that we have, besides the 2 year stint we had with the hornets, and as big as an OU fan as i am the only way i can relate to the feeling that the people from seatle have is if somebody took my football team.... or the feeling i had when the hornets went back, and that was only 2 years, so i can only imagine how they feel

but having said that, i think a lot of people are jumping on the band wagon and attacking our city, when we have done nothing but give support so that we can have this team. yes some people from my beloved city deserve the bashing cuz they are idiots and don't know what they are talking about....

but we did what seatle wouldn't do, clay bennett gave them a chance, they would have had the nicest arena in the world, but no they didn't want to pay for it, we did, and now that we did we have a team playing in OUR arena, the cities arena, not the teams....

i think a lot of people don't know the facts and just want to start attacking us, why? i don't understand... the PBC aren't theives they made a smart business investment... and thats what the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB are, its a business.... for instance a few years back OKC lost one of their biggest companys to Houston cuz thats where oil and gas wanted to go at the time, and there wasn't an outcry like this

and if seatle would have supported the team and schultz wouldn't have messed up the entire thing and if more people cared up there, which to be honest the majority of people in seatle did not care one way or the other, that is why OKC has a team, not cuz we stole it.

Trae
Jul 7, 2008, 7:51 PM
This is frustrating.... i'm from okc born and raised, i love it here.... i am also a die hard sports fan, season ticket holder for OU football and basketball, which is as close to a major franchise that we have, besides the 2 year stint we had with the hornets, and as big as an OU fan as i am the only way i can relate to the feeling that the people from seatle have is if somebody took my football team.... or the feeling i had when the hornets went back, and that was only 2 years, so i can only imagine how they feel

but having said that, i think a lot of people are jumping on the band wagon and attacking our city, when we have done nothing but give support so that we can have this team. yes some people from my beloved city deserve the bashing cuz they are idiots and don't know what they are talking about....

but we did what seatle wouldn't do, clay bennett gave them a chance, they would have had the nicest arena in the world, but no they didn't want to pay for it, we did, and now that we did we have a team playing in OUR arena, the cities arena, not the teams....

i think a lot of people don't know the facts and just want to start attacking us, why? i don't understand... the PBC aren't theives they made a smart business investment... and thats what the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB are, its a business.... for instance a few years back OKC lost one of their biggest companys to Houston cuz thats where oil and gas wanted to go at the time, and there wasn't an outcry like this

and if seatle would have supported the team and schultz wouldn't have messed up the entire thing and if more people cared up there, which to be honest the majority of people in seatle did not care one way or the other, that is why OKC has a team, not cuz we stole it.

Bennett had every intention to bring the Sonics to OKC. Do you know what the arena vote went up against in Seattle? Education. The voters there did the right thing and voted for education. They had just shelled out big money for the Mariners and Seahawks. Key Arena also had renovations just ten years earlier.

And when (I'm assuming) Citgo moved to Houston, they moved to capital of the oil/energy industry. They moved to a larger state, a larger market, etc. It was a smart move. There was a ton of outcry from Oklahomans. They all hated Houston, and probably still do.

i read some of the comments in this thread and this best describes the most amusing part of the deal. why would the nba think it would be a good idea to move from seattle? the only way this could make sense is if there were already plans in progress to bring another team there in the near future. also, if i was a nba player on the sonics, i'd be bummed if i was moving to okc from seattle. yikes.

The NBA players are already bummed. Kevin Durant especially.

sroberts24
Jul 7, 2008, 8:00 PM
wasn't citgo, and it never went to a vote in seatle, they local gov't never gave the people a chance to vote on it

alexjon
Jul 7, 2008, 8:14 PM
wasn't citgo, and it never went to a vote in seatle, they local gov't never gave the people a chance to vote on it

Initiative 91.

sakyle04
Jul 7, 2008, 8:17 PM

this is a good post.

to tie the issue to something else in the forum over the last few weeks...

no one in san antonio cried foul when what is now AT&T moved here to san antonio in 1992. the people of st louis probably weren't thrilled, but we just welcomed them excitedly. today, we are all of the sudden AT&T haters since they chose to again move their business, this time to dallas. san antonio wasn't given any opportunity to bid to keep them here and - poof - they're gone. sucks for us, but that's business.

sports teams are obviously a much more emotional thing. still, it is someone's business and they will do what they please. if some pro-san antonio owner bought the san diego chargers and moved them to san antonio, i would support that team as my own, with no apologies to the people of san diego. it is a fluid process.

finally, just because seattle has obtained its franchises through expansion doesn't mean it has full right to blast the relocation proponents. we may very well see the memphis grizzlies showing up at key arena one day leaving the people of memphis crying. (not to say that the tact or method of relocation could be much worse - no free pass to bennett for being a smarmy jerk...but they people of OKC should be free to enjoy their new team.)

as for seattle, go sounders!! :yes: