View Full Version : International Place | ? m | 22 fl | On Hold

Pages : [1] 2 3

hoser111
Jul 2, 2008, 7:36 PM
From Nova Scotia Business Journal"

ECL announces major development for downtown Halifax print this article
EDITED BY STAFF, TRANSCONTINENTAL MEDIA
The Nova Scotia Business Journal

HALIFAX – ECL Developments Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Empire Company Limited, today announced its plans for a state-of-the-art office development in Halifax’s downtown core. The proposed 22-storey development, to be named International Place, will be built with a focus on environmentally sustainable technologies, with a goal of attaining a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold standard.

With approximately 450,000 total square feet of hotel, retail and office capacity, International Place is expected to help satisfy current and projected demand for new Class A office space in Halifax’s CBD. The building will also accommodate tenant parking in an underground facility.

ECL retained internationally recognized Toronto-based architectural firm Zeidler Partnership Architects to ensure the design is respectful of history while bringing a sophisticated and modern structure to Halifax. The flatiron-inspired building, which combines soft lines of transparent glass throughout, will occupy a footprint of approximately 24,000 square feet at its base and each floor of Class A office space will have approximately 19,000 square feet of rentable floor space.

“We have worked hard to ensure this world class design is modern, iconic and respectful of the history that surrounds it,” said Donald Clow, president of ECL Developments Limited. “We feel this building represents not only the future of the downtown, but also hope its presence will help to increase economic activity by bringing more people to work, shop, eat, and explore the history and variety of downtown Halifax.”

Consistent with the existing development agreement for the site, updated development plans submitted today for the location known as the “triangle lands” at the north end of Granville Mall adjacent to Barrington Place, were a result of consultation with HRM staff.

“Beautiful and livable cities have a blend of modern and historic architecture, so we have sought input throughout the planning process to ensure we reflect this spirit, evolving the design by adjusting height, softening lines and seeking ways to complement the existing area,” concluded Clow. “This will be a landmark building.”

International Place will be ECL’s second major downtown development in recent years. In 2007, ECL completed the development of the Martello Condominiums located in downtown Halifax. – Staff

hoser111
Jul 2, 2008, 7:46 PM
Anyone know how to change the thread title once submitted? I should have called it "International Place" rather than "Triangle Lands"...

bluenoser
Jul 2, 2008, 7:54 PM
I don't know, but sweet news! I wonder if it's still the same/similar to this design from awhile back...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/407973935_1a3f0bc650_o.jpg
photo from http://www.whwarchitects.com/

sdm
Jul 2, 2008, 8:12 PM
I don't know, but sweet news! I wonder if it's still the same/similar to this design from awhile back...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/407973935_1a3f0bc650_o.jpg
photo from http://www.whwarchitects.com/

Completely new design then what is shown.

Somehow this is not really new news as this has been around for sometime.

There is mention of it in allnovascotia as well, with states there is no confirmed construction date.

spaustin
Jul 2, 2008, 9:17 PM
They just showed a picture of it on the ctv news and it looks nothing like the old design. Its a modern flatiron. Metro actually has a little blurb about it.
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/Local/article/77731

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7317/internationaltowersm6.jpg

hfx_chris
Jul 2, 2008, 9:25 PM
Anyone know how to change the thread title once submitted? I should have called it "International Place" rather than "Triangle Lands"...
Should be able to just edit your first post.

someone123
Jul 2, 2008, 9:31 PM
Title updated.

Takeo
Jul 2, 2008, 10:08 PM
Cool! I like that much better. Is that also designed by WHW? BTW... the Metro blurb says the concept was approved in '78?! Whoa.

They just showed a picture of it on the ctv news and it looks nothing like the old design. Its a modern flatiron. Metro actually has a little blurb about it.
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/Local/article/77731

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7317/internationaltowersm6.jpg

terrynorthend
Jul 2, 2008, 10:54 PM
Saw it on CTV as well. Looks Fantastic! Also news from Emera/NSP on their plans pending tomorrow...

Here is an article about it in the NS Business Journal..looks like it will be a LEEDS gold site..

http://www.novascotiabusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?sid=149090&sc=107

Dmajackson
Jul 2, 2008, 11:33 PM
Great news. Just judging from that one picture it looks like a nice building.

sdm
Jul 3, 2008, 12:22 AM
Great news. Just judging from that one picture it looks like a nice building.

i've had the opportunity to see the majority of the renderings and i can say it is a very attractive building.

that being said i want to know when they intend to start.

Jonovision
Jul 3, 2008, 12:51 AM
Amazing! I've been waiting for so long for a development of this scale and quality in the downtown. It has the power to totally change the perception of Halifax. I can't wait to see the full renderings.:cheers:

sdm
Jul 3, 2008, 1:13 AM
A rendering is available on allnovascotia.com in blk&white. The color ones look better, but still nice design regardless.

Also information on NSPI and Emera's plans, looks like they are keeping the shell of the power station.

Jonovision
Jul 3, 2008, 1:17 AM
Can you access that without a subscription?

someone123
Jul 3, 2008, 1:25 AM
Full rendering:

http://www.pbase.com/image/99595606/original.jpg

Hopefully we'll see some better renderings soon, but based on this I think the building looks quite good.

sdm
Jul 3, 2008, 1:25 AM
Can you access that without a subscription?

Someone123 thks

Jonovision
Jul 3, 2008, 1:29 AM
Looks good.....although it looks like it should be taller :P

Takeo
Jul 3, 2008, 2:09 AM
I wonder how this will look from Granville Mall. The "pointy" side looks cool of course... but the back end might not look as cool. I like it so far tho'.

alps
Jul 3, 2008, 2:13 AM
*exploding with excitement*

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to mobilize. We must crush our NIMBY opposition.

Seriously though, any arguments regarding height are invalidated by the fact that the area is already the most highrise-heavy area in the city; Duke, Barrington, CIBC, Delta, Purdy's I & II, Cogswell, 1801 Hollis.

Any debate over whether or not the development is "in keeping" with the existing area really shouldn't be taken as seriously as it is. It's a matter of taste and opinion of aesthetics, neither of which have legal bearing, and I don't know why we pay as much attention to these people as we do. I like diversity of architectural styles; it makes for varied and interesting neighbourhoods full of neat contrasting sights. They like to pretend they're living in some sort of idealistic eternal 19th century seaside utopia that never actually existed. One opinion doesn't trump the other, and the planning laws ought to decide, laws that are in place to ensure the healthy growth of our city. Yes, I am slightly frustrated. :tup:

terrynorthend
Jul 3, 2008, 2:23 AM
*exploding with excitement*

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to mobilize. We must crush our NIMBY opposition.

Seriously though, any arguments regarding height are invalidated by the fact that the area is already the most highrise-heavy area in the city; Duke, Barrington, CIBC, Delta, Purdy's I & II, Cogswell, 1801 Hollis.

No worries with this one mate. This will be as of right development if i am not mistaken..they could start breaking ground tomorrow..

Jonovision
Jul 3, 2008, 2:53 AM
I just saw a bit on the news about this. They showed the full rendering in colour and they also had one from Granville Mall. It did look really big from there, but it didn't seem overwhelming. It actually looked quite nice having the heritage facades of Granville up against the new glass of the tower.

someone123
Jul 3, 2008, 3:11 AM
I really like the idea of having a major building at the end of Granville. Right now it's quieter than it should be because the buildings themselves are not that large and because the street itself is a dead end.

planarchy
Jul 3, 2008, 11:58 AM
From today's Herald:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1065394.html

Takeo
Jul 3, 2008, 12:33 PM
According to the article in the Herald today... it's only 16 stories. Hardly what I would even call a "high rise". Nice building though. One thing I do wonder about however is what happens when the interchange comes down. Their front door is right in front of an overpass that would be demolished. I guess the land would have to be built up after the interchange comes down?

hfx_chris
Jul 3, 2008, 12:48 PM
Didn't the Heritage Trust say on different occasions they wouldn't mind tall buildings at the Cogswell site? I consider this a part of the Cogswell site, so they should have absolutely no opposition to this development... right? :haha:

sdm
Jul 3, 2008, 1:01 PM
According to the article in the Herald today... it's only 16 stories. Hardly what I would even call a "high rise". Nice building though. One thing I do wonder about however is what happens when the interchange comes down. Their front door is right in front of an overpass that would be demolished. I guess the land would have to be built up after the interchange comes down?

The 16 stories is the roy building, not ECL's development which is scheduled to be 22 stories if and when built.

Very good question regarding the interchange and the entrance to this building, surprised no one has asked that yet.

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 3, 2008, 4:20 PM
Almost unbelievable how much news has been coming out lately.

someone123
Jul 3, 2008, 4:34 PM
Well there will be a lot of similar issues if and when they get rid of the interchange. Originally that whole end of the downtown would have sloped downwards anyway.

We're hearing so much news because of the combination of low vacancy rates and HRM by Design.

I do not personally think that we will see all of these buildings go up in the next couple of years (since we're now up to something like 1.5 million square feet of proposed office space) but hopefully we'll get a couple of good buildings.

The ECL proposal on its own will really add a lot to the feel of the downtown, and it has a huge advantage over the others since it is already approved.

I'd like to see more renderings but I can't find them anywhere..

kwajo
Jul 3, 2008, 4:42 PM
Amazing! I've been waiting for so long for a development of this scale and quality in the downtown. It has the power to totally change the perception of Halifax. I can't wait to see the full renderings.:cheers:
Not a loaded question at all, but what perception of Halifax is it that needs to be changed?

alps
Jul 3, 2008, 5:37 PM
Not a loaded question at all, but what perception of Halifax is it that needs to be changed?

A city that hasn't been able to pull a major, modern developement through in the heart of the downtown for two decades. :(

hfx_chris
Jul 3, 2008, 6:22 PM
That's not perception, it's pretty much reality.

Jonovision
Jul 3, 2008, 7:19 PM
Well, the perception that we can't move forward and are caught in a ridiculous argument that should have ended 3 decades ago.

Just thought I'd put in the article from the Chronicle Herald. It's easier to reference when it's posted. Also this article gives the impression that the development has to go before council and the heritage groups. But all they need are building permits, which are taken out from staff at city hall.

Tall order for downtown Halifax
22-storey tower one of two proposed office projects
By STEVE PROCTOR and AMY PUGSLEY FRASER Staff Reporters
Thu. Jul 3 - 5:04 AM

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/photos/xlarge/barrington_RGB_07-03-08.jpg

The Halifax streetscape could look very different in a few years if two significant office building projects announced this week come to fruition.

ECL Developments, a subsidiary of Sobey-controlled Empire Co. Ltd., released plans Wednesday for a 22-storey office tower at the north end of the Granville Mall.

The announcement came just hours after developer Louis Resnick said he will be unveiling plans for a 16-storey office building for his Barrington Street Roy Building early next week.

Donald Clow, president of ECL, said the company has had the right to develop the "triangle property" for more than 20 years, but until recently the economics for development were not in place.

"The office vacancy rate in Halifax has never been lower," he said in a telephone interview. "The international interest in Halifax as a financial centre has never been stronger. The local economy is doing well, and we’ve had interest from local businesses, so the time seems right."

The 450,000-square-foot development will be devoted mainly to premium office space but will include a hotel and some retail shops. Construction plans focus on quality and environmentally sustainable technologies.

The Toronto architectural firm Zeidler Partnership Architects designed the flatiron-inspired building with soft lines of transparent glass that Mr. Clow said respects history but brings a sophisticated and modern structure to Halifax.

"We feel this building represents not only the future of the downtown, but also hope its presence will help to increase economic activity by bringing more people to work, shop, eat, and explore the history and variety of downtown Halifax."

International Place, as the building will be known, should help satisfy current and pro-jected demand for high-end office space in the central business district and will accommodate tenant parking in an underground facility, said Mr. Clow. The company is working with "a number of hoteliers" to develop the hotel component of the project, he said. The company met with Halifax Regional Municipality and officials with Halifax by Design in developing the building and has made changes based on their advice. It has not met with any heritage or special interest groups but would be open to do so, said Mr. Clow.

The project will be marketed in New York, Dublin, Bermuda and other jurisdiction where the province has had success in attracting financial services.

Mr. Resnick’s plan calls for a 233-foot building that would also incorporate properties that Resnick owns along Sackville and Granville streets, currently the headquarters for a travel agency and a hair salon.

The development will provide plenty of opportunities for retail, a crucial element for fitting in along Barrington Street, said the head of the Downtown Halifax Business Commission.

"We do know that Barrington Street is primarily a retail street, so any sort of influx of office development has to be sensitive to that," Paul MacKinnon said Wednesday.

The area certainly could benefit from an influx of on-site shoppers, Mr. MacKinnon said.

"Having more people on Barrington is a good idea," he said.

Phil Pacey, the president of Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia, wasn’t available for an interview Wednesday, but the developer said he’s sensitive to the historic nature of the street, where he owns several other properties.

"We have tremendous interest in preserving Barrington Street and the historic values of it," Mr. Resnick said in an interview from Toronto, noting he’s keen to work with heritage groups through the development agreement process. "It’s quite important to us."

The area is subject to a 40-foot height restriction under existing municipal planning policies, city planner Paul Sampson said in an interview. Anything higher than that has to go before regional council for a decision.

The first step was Wednesday’s public information meeting; then comes an examination by council’s advisory committees on heritage and planning. After that, regional council will decide whether a public hearing and its own debate will be held on the development.

Mr. Clow would not comment on the projected cost of his project. He said the company has applied for a development permit, but the timetable for construction will depend on the response to marketing efforts.

International Place would be ECL’s second major downtown development in recent years. In 2007, ECL completed the development of the Martello Condominiums off Spring Garden Road.

( sproctor@herald.ca)

( apugsley@herald.ca)

someone123
Jul 3, 2008, 7:30 PM
I found that article a little confusing. They shift from talking about the ECL development to talking about the Resnick development on Barrington without introducing it properly.

The Resnick/Roy Building development almost certainly will be the subject of a huge amount of scrutiny.

As for perceptions, I agree that it will be nice to have a major office tower under construction downtown. There has actually been a lot of construction in the city over the past 10 years or so but there have not been any large office buildings built right in the downtown core.

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 4, 2008, 4:27 PM
Yes, its a poorly written article and I think many members here are misinterpreting it. From what I understand this project will not appear before council in the traditional sense, the permit will be issued behind closed doors by council staff.

The media shouldn't even be interviewing people like Phil Pacey in this case, his opinion is as important (irrelevant) as any other citizen. (seeing as the project was approved in '78).

excel
Jul 6, 2008, 8:45 PM
nice looking tower.

someone123
Jul 16, 2008, 4:45 AM
WHW Architects have updated their website and they include a "triangle lands" project with new renderings of the mysterious office tower that we've seen before. This gives an impression of how the new building will look, though of course the specific design is now different:

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/office/triangle_lands/1.jpg

Source: WHW Architects (http://whwarchitects.com).

Jonovision
Jul 16, 2008, 5:07 AM
It's not a bad tower. but it's not very current as far as architecture goes. Looks like it should have built in the early 90s. I think we definitely ended up with the better tower.

On a side note. Does anyone know anything about the Shed 22 development they have on their website? It doesn't look too bad.

someone123
Jul 16, 2008, 5:29 AM
I agree that the new design is better and more current.

No idea about Shed 22, but there have been many plans for the area so the fact that there are renderings do not necessarily suggest that the port authority would move forward with that project.

I also noticed that they have the old LSRI renderings up. Somebody in another thread mentioned that the project may have been expanded in some way.

spaustin
Jul 16, 2008, 11:34 AM
I'm confused, which is the current design, the one someone123 just posted or the one that appeared in the paper?

Wishblade
Jul 16, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'm confused, which is the current design, the one someone123 just posted or the one that appeared in the paper?

the one in the paper. The one he posted has been around for years.

Takeo
Jul 16, 2008, 3:49 PM
Now I'm confused. Someone123 posted a black and white of the glass flatiron. And the Metro paper also ran a color picture of the glass flatiron. So which is the design? Is it the glass flatiron or the WHW brick and glass tower?

terrynorthend
Jul 16, 2008, 5:23 PM
Glass flatiron. The WHW brick and glass tower was a design from some years ago that someone dug up on WHW's website. It looks like they have revamped their website recently and put up another rendering of the old design for their portfolio. Not sure why they would, it just confuses the public at large IMO; maybe they are bitter because ECL went with Zeidler Partnerships for the new design.

terrynorthend
Jul 16, 2008, 5:32 PM
I just checked out WHW's website, projects section..and there are a lot of fantasies there.. the Shed 22 design is what is now Cunard Centre, I suspect "South Pier" will not happen as that is now the Seawall Development, Triangle Lands is now International Place.

A 2014 Commonwealth Games Stadium design and a new design for the Metro Centre near Pier21 for the "2010" ? Commonwealth Games round out the pipe dreams..

I sure hope someone paid them for all that "vapourware"!

kwajo
Jul 16, 2008, 5:48 PM
WHW Architects have updated their website and they include a "triangle lands" project with new renderings of the mysterious office tower that we've seen before. This gives an impression of how the new building will look, though of course the specific design is now different:

http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/office/triangle_lands/1.jpg

Source: WHW Architects (http://whwarchitects.com).
Reminds me a lot of the tower at the centre of the Confederation Building in St. John's

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/darkharbour/1.jpg

Haliguy
Jul 16, 2008, 5:58 PM
Wow, that is very similiar.

I'm glad they went with a new design.

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 16, 2008, 6:47 PM
The old design would look good somewhere in the Dartmouth skyline.

terrynorthend
Jul 16, 2008, 9:26 PM
It reminds me of some building in Pittsburgh If i remember correctly Yes, its called Fifth Avenue Place...
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=3387

Dmajackson
Jul 16, 2008, 11:57 PM
The newer one is defenitely better. This will act as a good "end" landmark for downtown until Cogswell is developed of course.

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 17, 2008, 3:36 PM
It reminds me of some building in Pittsburgh If i remember correctly Yes, its called Fifth Avenue Place...
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=3387

For sure, I looked it up and found this pic...
http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/ANB1957.jpg

someone123
Jul 17, 2008, 6:04 PM
Too bad Halifax doesn't have many of the older type of building in that picture. Barrington and Spring Garden could have each used a couple.

lawsond
Aug 5, 2008, 8:38 PM
ok i'll be the contrarian and say i actually like the st. john's cenfederation design. it's that chunky po-mo that halifax missed out on in the late 20th century. it got brutalism and glassy '80s but i wouldn't mind seeing a po-mo building with a pointy top. you shouldn't underestimate a pointy top on your skyline. right now, it's pretty flat.
the twisters will provide the 21st century design...if they finally get built

someone123
Aug 5, 2008, 9:32 PM
Founders' Square is from that period and could be considered PoMo I guess. I don't mind that building but don't really regret that the city missed out on others.

The designs and high quality buildings going up in cities like Vancouver now are just way better than they were in the 1980s and I think this project for Halifax will be similar.

someone123
Sep 12, 2008, 6:55 AM
Website is up: http://www.internationalplace.ca/

worldlyhaligonian
Sep 12, 2008, 2:41 PM
http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/01.jpg

http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/02.jpg

http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/03.jpg

http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/04.jpg

http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/05.jpg

http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/06.jpg

http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/07.jpg

Giggidy... should look great against Purdy's.

Haliguy
Sep 12, 2008, 3:17 PM
http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/01.jpg

http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/02.jpg

http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/03.jpg

http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/05.jpg

http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/06.jpg

http://www.internationalplace.ca/images/building/07.jpg

Giggidy... should look great against Purdy's.

I love it!... can't wait for construction to get started on this.

sdm
Sep 12, 2008, 3:38 PM
Awesome building, and will be a welcomed addition to Halifax's skyline.

Let us hope they can pre lease enough to begin construction in a timely manner.

hfx_chris
Sep 12, 2008, 4:40 PM

Holy crap. I nearly wet myself when I saw this picture.
I was excited before, now I'm... well, I'm still excited, but more excited :P

Can't wait to hear what boneheaded reasoning the trust will come up with to protect this parking lot...

someone123
Sep 12, 2008, 5:53 PM
The HT won't be coming up with any reasons because this tower was already basically approved 30 years ago.

This is a great project for the downtown in many ways. The office space is needed but this is also an important location. Right now Barrington and Granville simply trail off into nothing. Granville Mall is often dead and that whole last block of Barrington is a mess.

Visually it will also add a lot to the downtown. It stands out because it is modern and it will be visible down Barrington or Granville. Granville will look very impressive if both this and the United Gulf towers are built, and I love the contrast between the glass tower and the older stone buildings nearby. Already 1801 Hollis has a bit of that effect but this tower should be even nicer.

hfx_chris
Sep 12, 2008, 6:04 PM
The HT won't be coming up with any reasons because this tower was already basically approved 30 years ago.

You're kidding yourself if you think they won't still speak out against it.

Haliguy
Sep 12, 2008, 6:10 PM

I don't think they can its a done deal.

Wishblade
Sep 12, 2008, 6:11 PM

If they do, it wont matter anyway. There's nothing that can stop the construction of this building. It's already fully approved.

hfx_chris
Sep 12, 2008, 9:06 PM
I don't think they can its a done deal.

And how will that stop them from speaking ill about it?

spaustin
Sep 12, 2008, 9:12 PM
And how will that stop them from speaking ill about it?

Oh they'll definitely speak ill of it. They're just powerless on this one. Everyone is. Sobeys has all the power here. I wonder when this one will get underway. Positioning might matter significantly for success. I know there is a shortage of office space in the downtown, but if everything gets approved can the city really absorb International Place, a new Roy and Waterfront Centre in the next few years? That doesn't even include Electropolis and the space NSP will leave behind in Scotia Square. Anyone with more involvement in the office market have any idea? I would hate to see a repeat of the over-building that went on before.

someone123
Sep 13, 2008, 12:02 AM
Definitely it would take at least a few years to absorb all of this new office space but this proposal has a huge advantage over the others since it could theoretically be the first to move forward. This is good because it is also the nicest office project.

The Armour Group building isn't actually that large. Not sure about the Roy Building or how much space NSP is currently using.

hfx_chris
Sep 13, 2008, 1:10 AM
Oh they'll definitely speak ill of it. They're just powerless on this one. Everyone is. Sobeys has all the power here.
Exactly, which brings me back to my original musings... I can't wait to hear what boneheaded reasoning the trust will come up with to protect this parking lot...

sdm
Sep 13, 2008, 10:54 AM
Exactly, which brings me back to my original musings... I can't wait to hear what boneheaded reasoning the trust will come up with to protect this parking lot...

They will find ways to stall this development...

Again i am very much for this project, however unless they can prelease 200-300,000 of the building the owners will not likely proceed with it as they are a REIT and cash flow is of the most importance.

Waterside centre is 80,000 square feet, Roy Building is 250,000, Herald lands are rumoured to be 300,000 plus of office. Needless to say if International proceeds the rest will not with the exception of maybe the Waterside centre due to its size.

someone123
Sep 13, 2008, 5:03 PM
There isn't immediate demand for one million square feet of office space but it's not as if these projects just get shelved if they can't immediately be filled. Downtown vacancies are quite low right now and there's been a growing need for office space in the city during the past couple of years. All the new construction has been suburban but if there had been downtown office space then some of those tenants may have chosen to locate in the city.

If International Place is leased and moves forward then I could see the rest being delayed somewhat, but they will be delayed anyway by the approval process (and construction) and it is possible that in a few years the office space would be absorbed.

I'd like to see a rendering for the Herald lands. I hope the developer doesn't come up with something too elaborate that just gets stalled. Similarly, I'm a bit worried about the Roy Building since it could be demolished without the redevelopment ever happening.

Jonovision
Sep 14, 2008, 5:15 AM
Great new renders! I love how this looks at the end of Granville Mall!!!!! I get the feeling that the Waterside will not be approved. And the Roy building won't necessarily be office space. It will be whatever is in demand....so says the developers. I just want to see a crane fly.

jasonashhh
Sep 27, 2008, 2:58 AM
Does anyone have a clue when this will start?

Looks really nice

worldlyhaligonian
Nov 25, 2008, 4:06 AM
Citypoint kind of looks like International Place might, except its much taller.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/images/pics/81Citypoint_pic13.jpg

Dmajackson
Nov 25, 2008, 4:34 AM
Has anybody else noticed the major shift towards LEED in halifax? Theres this one, Park Place V and Harbour Isle i can think of off the top of my head.

Cityplace looks good. I'm not too keen on the fancy design on the roof though. Whatever that is...

sdm
Nov 25, 2008, 11:17 AM
Has anybody else noticed the major shift towards LEED in halifax? Theres this one, Park Place V and Harbour Isle i can think of off the top of my head.

Cityplace looks good. I'm not too keen on the fancy design on the roof though. Whatever that is...

Totally, Park Place V is the first and Largest office building in the region to go LEED. Also i believe Waterside Centre was to be the greenest in Atlantic Canada and possibly one of the greenest in the country. Emera with its power station redevelopment was extremely green as well.

Great to see substainable developments happening in this region. Up till now only the schools were LEED.

Wishblade
Nov 25, 2008, 10:50 PM
The NSCC waterfront campus is LEED Silver certified as well.

Dmajackson
Nov 25, 2008, 11:05 PM
I did a little look up and it turns out that the Seaport Farmer's Market, LSRC, new academic building at Dal, and the Atrium are registered as well.

Along with the ones mentioned above thats a whole lot of LEED projects going up around Halifax. Sweet! :)

kph06
Dec 13, 2008, 9:28 PM
I noticed while driving around today that there was a drill rig parked on the north corner of this site today and a large container truck in the lower lot both from the same geotechnical company. Drilling boreholes is one of the first steps of construction, so that maybe a good sign. I'll have to drive by next week to see if they are working on site or just using this as a storage lot, although the drill rig was parked in an odd spot if it was just parking overnight.

Jonovision
Dec 13, 2008, 10:00 PM
That is very exciting news! I can't think of anything nearby that would require a rig like that. They might still only be drilling a test hole first though.

someone123
Dec 13, 2008, 10:07 PM
It seems like a long shot but on the other hand I expect that if and when this project does start it will be fairly random, at least to me, since I have no particular insider knowledge and it is already approved. I have no idea how close they were to finding tenants.

If they do start construction I will feel a lot better about the prospects of the downtown. Simply having a big crane up and a major new office building eventually would be a big "psychological" boost for the city, to say nothing of the fact that this is also a great looking project.

kph06
Dec 13, 2008, 11:35 PM
Well a site investigation is a step in the right direction, if it is the case this is probably the closest this building has been to going ahead since it was approved 30 years ago.

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 14, 2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I think of any the major projects to go up after the Trillium, this one is definitely going to add the most. It will essentially help shape a proper CBD and if Trinity ever gets built, the area will look pretty good even with the interchange still in place.

The Alexander would improve a downtown area almost by itself and i think the Salter Street development will be back on in the not so distant future.

Dmajackson
Dec 14, 2008, 4:38 AM
This would probably be the best project to help the CBD really define itself. I hope this is the start for it.

I tried to get onto IP's website earlier but its down. That might not be a good sign.

Empire
Dec 14, 2008, 5:21 AM
Seems like a bit of a missed opprotunity if they do build at 400,000 sq. ft & 22 fl. I think they are approved for 650,000 sq ft. so their original design was 24 fl. and a larger footprint. Was 24 fl. the maximum height for the site based on a siteline from inside the citadel ramparts or was a calculation even done?

someone123
Dec 14, 2008, 6:19 AM
650,000 sq. ft. is very large for Halifax. In fact, I believe it would be the largest single tower in the city, and that the Maritime Centre (which was built in stages) is the largest at 560,000 sq. ft. currently.

Personally I prefer to see multiple smaller projects instead of a few large buildings. There are a lot of holes to fill downtown and more modest projects are more likely to get off the ground and be successful (and they can still be just as attractive etc.).

Haliguy
Dec 14, 2008, 3:40 PM
650,000 sq. ft. is very large for Halifax. In fact, I believe it would be the largest single tower in the city, and that the Maritime Centre (which was built in stages) is the largest at 560,000 sq. ft. currently.

Personally I prefer to see multiple smaller projects instead of a few large buildings. There are a lot of holes to fill downtown and more modest projects are more likely to get off the ground and be successful (and they can still be just as attractive etc.).

I know what you are saying there a lot of holes to fill, but it would be nice to have a large building that would change the look of the skyline as well.

someone123
Dec 14, 2008, 9:03 PM
I guess, but this one if built as designed will still be one of the biggest office towers and will be highly visible.

It's no taller than the others but unfortunately that's just not allowed ever because for some reason it would cause the sky to fall etc.

hfx_chris
Dec 15, 2008, 1:15 AM
If it's too high, it might hit the sky, and poke a hole in the ozone layer...

Keith P.
Dec 15, 2008, 1:34 AM
It's no taller than the others but unfortunately that's just not allowed ever because for some reason it would cause the sky to fall etc.

Dontcha know? It's because we're not Toronto, or Atlanta, or some such places that are somehow inferior because they have tall buildings. :rolleyes:

kph06
Dec 15, 2008, 9:01 PM
I drove by today and the drill rig was drilling on the edge of the site near one of the ramps off of Hollis Street.

Dmajackson
Dec 15, 2008, 9:09 PM
^Now that is excting to hear! :D

Who knos maybe well get lucky and have this and the Trillium U/C at the same time. A 22 floor and a 19 floor pair of buildings going up in downtown.

Here's to hoping :cheers:

BravoZulu
Dec 15, 2008, 10:29 PM
Anyone have any idea where this would put the timeframe for construction if they were going to move ahead? Obviously it is a fairly early step, but would one expect to see something else happening soon or is this used to gather info and then go back to the engineering/planning stage?

Cheers

BZ

sdm
Dec 16, 2008, 1:06 AM
Anyone have any idea where this would put the timeframe for construction if they were going to move ahead? Obviously it is a fairly early step, but would one expect to see something else happening soon or is this used to gather info and then go back to the engineering/planning stage?

Cheers

BZ

Considering the depth of underground parking, height and materials i would say 2.5 - 3 years to complete the project of that size.

Dmajackson
Dec 16, 2008, 1:18 AM
So if we are lucky it might be complete in Spring 2012?

It seems so far away :(

sdm
Dec 16, 2008, 2:35 AM
So if we are lucky it might be complete in Spring 2012?

It seems so far away :(

It sure does, let us cross our fingers there is enough preleasing to warrant construction.

hfx_chris
Dec 16, 2008, 10:12 PM
It takes a while to plan and build something of this magnitude...

phrenic
Dec 17, 2008, 4:00 PM
The drill rig and accompanying container truck belong to Logan Geotech of Colchester and are still parked on site.

worldlyhaligonian
Dec 17, 2008, 8:49 PM
I'm concerned about the website being down.

I doubt this project will start before others that have already been put on hold.

hoser111
Dec 17, 2008, 10:54 PM
The website is just fine!

Dmajackson
Dec 17, 2008, 11:06 PM
THe website doesn't work for me :( It claims I have to sign in...

"hoser111" are you sure you're looking at the right site? There is an International Place in Boston with a similar web address.

BravoZulu
Dec 18, 2008, 12:58 AM
Hey Bedford DJ,

I was having issues with the site as well, it wouldn't load for me. I googled internationlplace.ca and selected more results under the second hit. This let me access different parts of the site by selecting them individually. The site still looks kinda screwy to me though.

hope this helps

Takeo
Dec 18, 2008, 1:12 AM
They don't have a default index filename configured... so if you just go to www.internationalplace.ca/ the web server doesn't know what to load so you get a directory listing instead... which is denied (as it should be... always a good idea to deny directory listings).

Anyway... I went to google and clicked the cached link and figured out what their homepage is. Here it is:

http://www.internationalplace.ca/home.shtml

Again... note that http://www.internationalplace.ca/ will NOT work. You need to add home.shtml on the end.

Dmajackson
Dec 18, 2008, 1:36 AM
Thank you "Bravezulu" and "Takeo" I managed to get on and I added the working address to my favourites so I shouldn't encounter the problem again. :)