PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Hamilton?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

flar
Jul 2, 2008, 11:37 AM
This is a thread for questions and advice about moving to Hamilton.

You'll hear a lot of bad things about Hamilton, but those who know Hamilton's secrets enjoy a great quality of life. The city has a lot to offer: diverse neighbourhoods, great parks and natural beauty, the lake, the bay, the escarpment, waterfalls, arts and culture, museums, easy access to Toronto and Niagara, several nice shopping districts, character and history.

So if you're thinking about moving to the Hamilton area, ask your questions here.

DC83
Jul 2, 2008, 12:55 PM
Great thread idea, Flar!

People have said some horrible things about the place, but I'm actually looking forward to my move.

A lot of people have a hate-on for Hamilton. You just have to ignore them. Most have never even been to the city. Some people have even hijacked some of Flar's photo-threads claiming that his photographs are staged and 'fake'. Since you've visited, I'm sure you know this is completely false.

Where are you moving from? (If you don't mind me asking)

BrianE
Jul 2, 2008, 1:13 PM
Agreed. People who rarely visit Hamilton have very strong opinions about the city. And oddly enough, people who have never been to Hamilton have even stronger opinions, almost always negative. It's a little bizare.

Quick poll, how many times have you told someone that you're from Hamilton and they respond. "Hamilton? EEEWWWWWW!" Then you ask, "Oh, so you've been to Hamilton often?" and they say "No, but I've driven by it on the QEW! It's a dump!"

I think it's important that potential new citizens of Hamilton hear an opinion from a person who moved here just 5 years ago. You will not regret your descision to move here, I sure don't. Worried about investing in a house? Don't be, you'll make money, I sure did.

Lastly, don't be afraid of the lower City! Some people will tell you, don't buy a house anywhere but the Mountain or West Hamilton. But there are thousands of large 100 yr old houses central and east Hamilton just needing some repairs and fresh paint. Take a look.

Good house hunting!

raisethehammer
Jul 2, 2008, 1:34 PM
great advice Brian. In fact, I'd go one better than that. BE AFRAID of the mountain and suburban areas. Almost everyone I know who lives up there has story after story of life just like the movie 'the burbs'. haha.
people are anal.
The lower city you'll find plenty of charm, great homes, nice parks and depending on where you end up, walking distance from stores, restaurants, cafes etc.....

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 2:15 PM
Great idea for a thread Flar, I should have done this originally.

Let me introduce myself and explain why I'm moving to Hamilton.

I'm British, currently living in London (the original one ;) ). I'm about to turn 33, male, gay (if that makes any difference, shouldn't in this day and age, but hey might as well get that out there :haha:) and single :( - though that does make the move easier!

I have a sibling who moved with their spouse and child from Vancouver to Hamilton after raving for the past year about the potential that the city had - blind move, had never been there, just had this gut instinct. My parents were a bit uncertain about it all, but thanks to Flar's phototours showing the good sides of Hamilton, they actually wanted to visit and look around. So well done there Flar!

I'm in the process of selling a rental flat here in London and when sold the equity should easily pay off a bridging loan that I set up to pay for the house that I bought for them in April (aren't I a good brother?!). In January of next year I will be selling up my own flat and armed with the equity, approximately $150k in today's money, I'll be moving to Hamilton in late January/February all being well.

Why am I moving? And why Hamilton?

I've always wanted to live abroad and have always thought I'd like to live in North America, love the accents, tragic I know, but I do (I was so disappointed when no one in Vancouver said "eh" :haha:). Since I now have family in Canada, I've found the concept of living there very tempting, as have my parents. I'm a bit fed up of the London way of life. OK, it's cosmopolitan and there's a lot to do, but it's also incredibly expensive and very draining to keep up with. All in all I really fancy a bit of a break from it all and so I thought I'd move to Canada, perhaps even do some studying, recharge etc. If I get bored, I can always try somewhere else!

I've been to Hamilton once, in April and was really quite impressed with the city and what $150k can buy you. Mortgage free or low mortgage life really appeals to me after spending £745 per month - that's nearly $1,500 - on my mortgage in London.

I've heard all the comments about how awful a place it is. A friend of mine has a flatmate who is Canadian and says he "escaped from Hamilton and couldn't be paid to go back". However, after visiting (admittedly only for a week) and wandering around I couldn't see what was so bad about the place at all. My second night there I walked from Balsam, all the way down Main, towards my hotel near Westdale. A bit of a killer walk at between 9 and 10pm, but I didn't feel threatened or intimidated, though perhaps ignorance is bliss lol. I really like the fact that is has the big city vibe in a small space, compared to London, where you can't get anywhere without jumping on a bus or using the underground, in Hamilton I could easily see myself walking a lot more and only using public transport if I really needed to or when I was feeling lazy, it was cold or wet.

The week I was there was spent wandering around, spotting buildings from Flar's phototours, drinking way too much Tim Horton's hot chocolate and trying to work out where I'd like to be if I lived there. I didn't get to see all I wanted to, as I did have to spend some time with family and do the odd touristy thing (you can't not see Niagara Falls!). There are some neighbourhoods I really want to check out in greater detail, Locke, Hess, Ottawa, etc. My parents have already decided that when they retire they want to sell up and move to Westdale, why wouldn't they, it's beautiful there around that quaint little town centre.

All in all Hamilton reminds me of Sheffield in the UK, before they regenerated it, and since that was a "Steel Town", the comparison is quite apt. Sheffield is now the greenest city in the UK and where a lot of the old Steel Mills were are parks and leisure facilities, it has a tram system (SuperTram (http://www.supertram.net/)) similar to the one that is being proposed for Hamilton. If that goes ahead I can see that having a huge impact on the city in similar ways to the trams that are being built in cities across the UK. Ultimately, Hamilton feels like somewhere that can only improve and I might as well buy somewhere while I can afford it :)

I'm hopeful that when I get there I can get involved in the community (I don't want to move to the place and stay isolated and London can feel very isolating even with all those people around you), maybe even help to improve it, make new friends and generally live a much better and affordable life than the one I'm currently living now.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

highwater
Jul 2, 2008, 2:49 PM
Oh man. This is so cool. You are like totally the poster boy for Richard Florida's whole Creative Class thingy. You should write an oped for the Spec. A few years back when we had an influx of refugees from Kosovo, they had an ongoing Kosovo Diary written by a doctor from Kosovo about his familiy's experience of coming to Hamilton and making a new life, etc. You could totally write a Kreative Klass Diary. Blow all the squelchers away. ;) Welcome, welcome, welcome.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 3:22 PM
Alas I'm not there yet! Though I wish I were. January feels so far away, but I'm not going to wish away the rest of the year.

I'd love to write for the Spec, though I've no journalistic experience. lol. I'm definitely tempted to Blog about my move, because it'll be a big event for me.

ryan_mcgreal
Jul 2, 2008, 3:27 PM
I'm definitely tempted to Blog about my move, because it'll be a big event for me.

If you're looking for a venue, it sounds like a great fit for Raise the Hammer, a local web magazine dedicated to urban issues. Feel free to contact me if you're interested.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 3:31 PM
If you're looking for a venue, it sounds like a great fit for Raise the Hammer, a local web magazine dedicated to urban issues. Feel free to contact me if you're interested.

I'd love to. Thanks! I've been reading your site for month now, it's a brilliant source of local news and information! I've enjoyed reading it far more than The Spec online.

MsMe
Jul 2, 2008, 3:43 PM
One issue as well about Hamilton. Even though it is growing, the crime rate isn't all that bad for the size of the city. On average there are about 10 murders a year in Hamilton. Look at places in US at some cities where they can have as many as 1000 a year.

Yes there are drug problems, but that is everywhere.

raisethehammer
Jul 2, 2008, 3:43 PM
I'd love to. Thanks! I've been reading your site for month now, it's a brilliant source of local news and information! I've enjoyed reading it far more than The Spec online.

we all do.
Lol.

SteelTown
Jul 2, 2008, 3:54 PM
I find that Eastern lower Hamilton tend to me more socially conservative (probably has a lot to do with the hard nose and tough past) then Western lower Hamilton.

highwater
Jul 2, 2008, 3:58 PM
January is a singularly crappy time of year (actually I love it, but I'm weird that way). Hope the weather won't temper your first experience of Hamilton too much. Give the Hammer at least till May before you start regretting your decision. :D

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 4:00 PM
One issue as well about Hamilton. Even though it is growing, the crime rate isn't all that bad for the size of the city. On average there are about 10 murders a year in Hamilton. Look at places in US at some cities where they can have as many as 1000 a year.

Yes there are drug problems, but that is everywhere.

Well... I'm moving to Hamilton from East London. I live 20mins walk from "murder mile" where there is a lot of black on black gang related gun crime. I've been burgled twice and mugged a knife-point. As long as 1 of those 10 murders a year isn't me or a member of my family, then I'll cope. Hopefully that stat will go down.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 4:03 PM
I find that Eastern lower Hamilton tend to me more socially conservative (probably has a lot to do with the hard nose and tough past) then Western lower Hamilton.

West Hamilton is more central and seems to have a better vibe. I like the idea of being able to walk from my home to a cool coffee bar on a weekend to sit down and watch the world go by for a while.

That said more East would allow me to buy more for my buck.

highwater
Jul 2, 2008, 4:04 PM
Sorry Ryan for suggesting the Spec before RTH :D . Of all people, I should have known better. Still, you'd reach more squelchers with the Spec, not that they'd print it.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 4:06 PM
January is a singularly crappy time of year (actually I love it, but I'm weird that way). Hope the weather won't temper your first experience of Hamilton too much. Give the Hammer at least till May before you start regretting your decision. :D

I've not seen decent snow in a fairly long time, so that'll be a boon.

I went to Hamilton in April this year and it was fine, though I'd heard of the unseasonable snow storms a few weeks before I visited.

I have to sell my flat first, I can't break out of my mortgage until December, so assuming it sells reasonably quickly, January will be my move date. A slower sale will push my arrival back.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 4:14 PM
Sorry Ryan for suggesting the Spec before RTH :D . Of all people, I should have known better. Still, you'd reach more squelchers with the Spec, not that they'd print it.

Nothing wrong with suggesting the Spec. I quite liked the paper, in print form, I read it daily while I was in Hamilton. I just don't like their web-site. It seems a little cluttered and full of colourful links to articles that are incredibly out of date. Can someone explain to me why they have a "local" news section that rarely seems to have Hamilton news in? Unless that's provincial news.

I like RTH because the site has a clean uncluttered look and the blogs are easy to get at and I enjoy reading the comments, even the more inflamatory ones :haha: Does RTH come out in print form?

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 4:27 PM

No harm in trying the Spec. I've nothing against the paper, I read it while I was in Hamilton. I just don't like their web-site. It seems a little cluttered and full of colourful links to articles that are incredibly out of date. Can someone explain to me why they have a "local" news section that rarely seems to have Hamilton news in? Unless that's provincial news.

I like RTH because the site has a clean uncluttered look and the blogs are easy to get at and I enjoy reading the comments, even the more inflamatory ones :haha: Does RTH come out in print form?

MsMe
Jul 2, 2008, 4:30 PM

There are good and bad everywhere Steeltown. :)

MsMe
Jul 2, 2008, 4:31 PM
Omro, have you tried www.mls.ca to look at houses?

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 4:48 PM
Omro, have you tried www.mls.ca to look at houses?

Yeap, did so when we were looking for houses for my sibling, but haven't so much recently because it's depressing to see a house or condo that I would love to have and not be able to buy it NOW! :(

Some lovely houses and condos were on the market in April. Just hope that $150k will still buy me more than a rabbit hutch early next year! My current flat is a 2 bedroom, ground floor with a small garden, and about 600 square feet, so anything that size or bigger will suit me as long as I don't have to pay anything or much on a mortgage.

I, Sinclair
Jul 2, 2008, 5:01 PM
What a cool thread.

I didn't move nearly as far (from Toronto to Hamilton), but I can give you an immigrant's perspective on the Hammer.

There are very few local employment options for city-centre type jobs (finance, IT, etc). I moved my office to Hamilton when I came here five years ago, but that's an eternity in my field, and I've switched jobs twice since then. Both have come with a long commute.

We first moved to the south east, in the little pocket of homes between Ottawa st and Gage park, south of King. The immediate neighbourhood was fantastic, the people are the salt of the earth and the housing is great. Unfortunately it is surrounded by run-down crap. We moved because we were sick of having to drive everywhere, even to get a (non-timmie's) cup of coffee. I know Ottawa st. has it's defenders, but it is pretty well useless as a neighbourhood high street.

We moved to the southwest, near the top of Locke. Housing costs are about double what it would cost in the southeast for a comparable home. The neighbourhood is simply fantastic. At the local playground, I have yet to run into a young family that hasn't moved from Toronto (though that might be a negative to some people on this board :) ), which I think demonstrates a very real measure of the bright prospects for the lower city.

We explored the idea of moving back to Toronto, but after a year in the southwest, we can't think of a reason why we'd bother. We love it.

Hamilton wasn't supposed to be the end of the line for us, we were planning on moving on to London (the original one ;)) and Vancouver eventually. But the value here is real, and we are making the Hammer our home-base, even when we do some overseas stints.

Good luck and Welcome!

FairHamilton
Jul 2, 2008, 5:17 PM
Can someone explain to me why they have a "local" news section that rarely seems to have Hamilton news in? Unless that's provincial news.

Something those on the board have seen me rant on before.

It's because The Spec is owned by an absentee publisher, Torstar. To maximize profits it's more cost effective to run the same news piece (or a slight variation) across all of their publications than it is to staff a proper local newsroom.

Unfortunately, local newsrooms have been hollowed out and as a result we get less quality local news, and investigate reporting is extinct.

As a new arrival (2 months ago) to Hamilton, I can say there's lots to explore and do. Since moving to Hamilton we've really enjoyed ourselves.

MsMe
Jul 2, 2008, 5:24 PM
Yeap, did so when we were looking for houses for my sibling, but haven't so much recently because it's depressing to see a house or condo that I would love to have and not be able to buy it NOW!

I know what you mean. I would love to move to the country. I have a tiny house that is only 625 sq ft. And would love a larger house.
But presently having some health issues which is making me think about moving to the country might not be so good now. :(

raisethehammer
Jul 2, 2008, 5:29 PM
What a cool thread.

I didn't move nearly as far (from Toronto to Hamilton), but I can give you an immigrant's perspective on the Hammer.

There are very few local employment options for city-centre type jobs (finance, IT, etc). I moved my office to Hamilton when I came here five years ago, but that's an eternity in my field, and I've switched jobs twice since then. Both have come with a long commute.

We first moved to the south east, in the little pocket of homes between Ottawa st and Gage park, south of King. The immediate neighbourhood was fantastic, the people are the salt of the earth and the housing is great. Unfortunately it is surrounded by run-down crap. We moved because we were sick of having to drive everywhere, even to get a (non-timmie's) cup of coffee. I know Ottawa st. has it's defenders, but it is pretty well useless as a neighbourhood high street.

We moved to the southwest, near the top of Locke. Housing costs are about double what it would cost in the southeast for a comparable home. The neighbourhood is simply fantastic. At the local playground, I have yet to run into a young family that hasn't moved from Toronto (though that might be a negative to some people on this board :) ), which I think demonstrates a very real measure of the bright prospects for the lower city.

We explored the idea of moving back to Toronto, but after a year in the southwest, we can't think of a reason why we'd bother. We love it.

Hamilton wasn't supposed to be the end of the line for us, we were planning on moving on to London (the original one ;)) and Vancouver eventually. But the value here is real, and we are making the Hammer our home-base, even when we do some overseas stints.

Good luck and Welcome!

good post.
I'd also like to add that neighbourhoods just north of 'Locke South' still have some decent prices, although not much can be had for under $200,000 these days.
It's still cheaper than the southwest and closer to great parks - Victoria Park and Dundurn. Also, the waterfront is nearby and will be more accessible with a new pedestrian bridge being built at the north end of Locke St. It's a 10 minute walk to Hess Village, the Market, Copps, Jackson Square (hopefully someday that'll actually be an incentive) and James North. The Southwest can be a longer walk to all of these places unless you live in the extreme northern part of the neighbourhood just south of Main St. Expect house prices to continue going up here, as they are still cheaper than the southwest and westdale.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 5:29 PM
I know what you mean. I would love to move to the country. I have a tiny house that is only 625 sq ft. And would love a larger house.
But presently having some health issues which is making me think about moving to the country might not be so good now. :(

Moves are very stressful. You need to be relatively well health wise or get a lot of support. You never know, the change of scenery and atmosphere might do your health the world of good.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 5:38 PM

There seemed to be a lot of offices and office workers, there must be some turn over in those jobs?

My family were originally on Balsam near Gage, which seemed really nice there. My Mum was raving about the houses, to the English the style is very attractive and quaint. For me that area would be too far from downtown. I want to be around activity, I guess.

Surely there is nothing wrong with people moving to Hamilton bringing new blood and new money and a will to improve the city?

Vancouver is lovely and when I was originally told that the family were moving to Hamilton from there I was very upset. The people in BC were incredibly friendly! The scenery is spectacular. To go from London to a city surrounded by ocean and mountains, it's quite wow. BUT, the costs just were unfeasible. I'd be going from a hutch with a big mortgage to a hutch with another big mortgage.

Good luck and Welcome!

Thanks and I look forward to my move, even though it's 6 months or more away :(

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 5:41 PM
good post.
I'd also like to add that neighbourhoods just north of 'Locke South' still have some decent prices, although not much can be had for under $200,000 these days.
It's still cheaper than the southwest and closer to great parks - Victoria Park and Dundurn. Also, the waterfront is nearby and will be more accessible with a new pedestrian bridge being built at the north end of Locke St. It's a 10 minute walk to Hess Village, the Market, Copps, Jackson Square (hopefully someday that'll actually be an incentive) and James North. The Southwest can be a longer walk to all of these places unless you live in the extreme northern part of the neighbourhood just south of Main St. Expect house prices to continue going up here, as they are still cheaper than the southwest and westdale.

I'll just have to hope that prices don't leap in the next six+ months.

Is Jackson Square is that the undercover mall type shopping centre with the Farmer's Market? Other than the Farmer's Market that shopping centre was naff. It and the building opposite were this really grim dark brick and very enclosing and blah. I'd knock them both down and redo that area.

MsMe
Jul 2, 2008, 5:43 PM
Moves are very stressful. You need to be relatively well health wise or get a lot of support. You never know, the change of scenery and atmosphere might do your health the world of good.

Well, unfortunatly I am not able to do much at all at present. So I would not able to do any packing and repairing the house right now. :(

I can't wait to head to the RBG trails to hand feed the wild birds like I used to do.

As you can tell, frustration is setting in since I can't do much right now. :(

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 5:51 PM
Well, unfortunatly I am not able to do much at all at present. So I would not able to do any packing and repairing the house right now. :(

I can't wait to head to the RBG trails to hand feed the wild birds like I used to do.

As you can tell, frustration is setting in since I can't do much right now. :(

If I were you, I'd work out how much you could sell your place for and how much you could buy your new place for and hopefully if you can buy for less than you sell for, get a short term loan to pay for someone to do the packing and repairing for you, take all that stress away from you.

holymoly
Jul 2, 2008, 5:52 PM
omro, don't overlook Corktown (south of Main, east of James) -- it's still affordable and is a pretty interesting neighbourhood.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 5:56 PM
omro, don't overlook Corktown (south of Main, east of James) -- it's still affordable and is a pretty interesting neighbourhood.

I'll have to dig out Flar's photo tour map with the neighbourhood names on it.

Are there any online maps with the neighbourhood names on them?

I must admit I love how the city had all these little "towns and villages" inside it :)

Boomtown_Hamilton
Jul 2, 2008, 6:00 PM
No harm in trying the Spec. I've nothing against the paper, I read it while I was in Hamilton. I just don't like their web-site. It seems a little cluttered and full of colourful links to articles that are incredibly out of date. Can someone explain to me why they have a "local" news section that rarely seems to have Hamilton news in? Unless that's provincial news.

Welcome to Hamilton omro,

The Hamilton Spectator is a great newspaper and in my humble opinion the best in Canada but just like you I am not a huge fan of the online version especially because of some of the phoney polls they have there where it's easy for any one person to alter the results of just so that they can help sway public opinion on whatever subject matter they are asking you to vote on.

Hamilton is not as open or "gay friendly" as Toronto but if I were in your shoes looking to move here into town I would pick the West-end around Locke Street South as that is the area I grew up in and whenever I take a walk around the area you will find quite a few rainbow coloured flags there.

Don't forget to check out our 80+ waterfalls.

I, Sinclair
Jul 2, 2008, 6:00 PM
There seemed to be a lot of offices and office workers, there must be some turn over in those jobs?

This has been my experience anyhow, as a wireless IT guy, but it might not be typical of other professions.

There is a commuter rail line to downtown Toronto, but it is woefully primitive by european standards.

Surely there is nothing wrong with people moving to Hamilton bringing new blood and new money and a will to improve the city?

I don't know what the English equivalent is, but Toronto and Hamilton are like Edinburgh and Glasgow. 50 miles (well more like 60km) and a world apart. Lots of bluster from Hamilton and lots of disdain from Toronto.

It is a very positive thing for the city, and the rivalry is purely superficial (except for football, where it is clearly a matter of life or death). Hamilton and Toronto are becoming more integrated economically and socially every year.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 6:09 PM
Welcome to Hamilton omro,

The Hamilton Spectator is a great newspaper and in my humble opinion the best in Canada but just like you I am not a huge fan of the online version especially because of some of the phoney polls they have there where it's easy for any one person to alter the results of just so that they can help sway public opinion on whatever subject matter they are asking you to vote on.

Hamilton is not as open or "gay friendly" as Toronto but if I were in your shoes looking to move here into town I would pick the West-end around Locke Street South as that is the area I grew up in and whenever I take a walk around the area you will find quite a few rainbow coloured flags there.

Don't forget to check out our 80+ waterfalls.

I liked the print form of the Spec, I just think they need to slap their webmaster and redesign it.

Definitely thinking about the West-End, but all depends on house prices at the time when I do sell up. The credit crunch has hit London hard and I've lost thousands on my rental property in the last six months, if I lose more on my own property when I come to sell it, I might have no money to spend on anywhere decent :( If I'd sold both 6-9 months ago I'd have had a good $100k more to spend. Grrrrrr.

Surely everyone knows that a city only gets "cool" when the gays adopt it ;)

I like waterfalls :-)

Boomtown_Hamilton
Jul 2, 2008, 6:13 PM
I liked the print form of the Spec, I just think they need to slap their webmaster and redesign it.

Definitely thinking about the West-End, but all depends on house prices at the time when I do sell up. The credit crunch has hit London hard and I've lost thousands on my rental property in the last six months, if I lose more on my own property when I come to sell it, I might have no money to spend on anywhere decent :(

If you're looking for some really good real estate deals in town check out the Corktown neighbourhood plus anything in the North-end or along Barton Street East where the houses are extremely under-valued but with the re-construction of the Centre Mall taking place you can bet that property values will rise in-and-around that area of that Mall after the re-development of it is complete. So anything North of Barton Street and the Corktown neighbourhood.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 6:14 PM
This has been my experience anyhow, as a wireless IT guy, but it might not be typical of other professions.

There is a commuter rail line to downtown Toronto, but it is woefully primitive by european standards.

I don't know what the English equivalent is, but Toronto and Hamilton are like Edinburgh and Glasgow. 50 miles (well more like 60km) and a world apart. Lots of bluster from Hamilton and lots of disdain from Toronto.

It is a very positive thing for the city, and the rivalry is purely superficial (except for football, where it is clearly a matter of life or death). Hamilton and Toronto are becoming more integrated economically and socially every year.

I'll spend my first year as a student, so hopefully the job thing won't be too huge and issue when I graduate. Though I will have to work on the side.

I hope that Hamilton and Toronto get more connected. I'm currently reading through the thread about the transit changes, The future of Hamilton's public transit (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=140244), I'm on page 20ish of more than 40ish pages lol. It's very interesting reading. But I am enjoying this thread a lot too, so I am skipping back and forth.

MsMe
Jul 2, 2008, 6:17 PM
Omro, I haven't checked the money exchange rates recently, but is it possible you might gain on your dollar with the exchange rates after you move?

FairHamilton
Jul 2, 2008, 6:17 PM
Surely everyone knows that a city only gets "cool" when the gays adopt it ;)

Yep, we certainly do. LOL

We followed a gay friend to Hamilton. He moved back to Hamilton (he grew up in Hamilton) last summer after time in New York and Toronto.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 6:21 PM
If you're looking for some really good real estate deals in town check out the Corktown neighbourhood plus anything in the North-end or along Barton Street East where the houses are extremely under-valued but with the re-construction of the Centre Mall taking place you can bet that property values will rise in-and-around that area of that Mall after the re-development of it is complete. So anything North of Barton Street and the Corktown neighbourhood.

Great advice, another area I'll be looking at when I visit in Oct. I'm trying to keep close to downtown. But, my parents, if they move across too, might buy some rental properties.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 6:26 PM
Omro, I haven't checked the money exchange rates recently, but is it possible you might gain on your dollar with the exchange rates after you move?

Fraid so, it's about 2:1 ATM.

I've lost about £25k per flat. So that's £50k or $100k.

Depressing or what!

It's only paper money, but still it was nice to have lol.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 6:29 PM
Yep, we certainly do. LOL

We followed a gay friend to Hamilton. He moved back to Hamilton (he grew up in Hamilton) last summer after time in New York and Toronto.

My friend's flatmate is from Hamilton and moved to Toronto and then New York and now lives in London. You couldn't pay him to move back. That said, with what he's earning here he could probably buy a small palace in Hamilton lol.

MsMe
Jul 2, 2008, 6:49 PM
Fraid so, it's about 2:1 ATM.

I've lost about £25k per flat. So that's £50k or $100k.

Depressing or what!

It's only paper money, but still it was nice to have lol.

The Canadian dollar sure has seen a huge increase in the last 5 years.

raisethehammer
Jul 2, 2008, 7:33 PM
yes, Jackson Square is that 'naff' mall with the Farmers Market.
We have an entire thread on here to discuss ideas of how to fix up the place.
Also, I'll second Corktown as a great option for you to check out.
Awesome hood close to EVERYTHING.

Millstone
Jul 2, 2008, 7:56 PM
I'll just have to hope that prices don't leap in the next six+ months.

Is Jackson Square is that the undercover mall type shopping centre with the Farmer's Market? Other than the Farmer's Market that shopping centre was naff. It and the building opposite were this really grim dark brick and very enclosing and blah. I'd knock them both down and redo that area.

Yes it's one of 2 malls, the other being Hamilton City Centre, which is faring worse than Jackson Square at the moment. The "super block" between York, James, King, and Bay was largely the result of trying to compete with suburban flight of people and businesses in the 50s and 60s. There used to be some nice old architecture there, but of course it's all turned into blah now.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 8:02 PM
yes, Jackson Square is that 'naff' mall with the Farmers Market.
We have an entire thread on here to discuss ideas of how to fix up the place.
Also, I'll second Corktown as a great option for you to check out.
Awesome hood close to EVERYTHING.

Well I won't start that up again, but will find that thread. Still nothing a good bulldozing won't fix lol. We have a shopping centre within a walk from where I live called "Selbourne Walk" - it's got some good things in it, but could still do with a good bull dozing just to open up the town centre again.

I'm getting confused with Jackson Square because my map says "Eaton Centre" on it. I think Google Maps does too.

Is there a good online map with the different neighbourhoods laid out?

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 8:05 PM
Yes it's one of 2 malls, the other being Hamilton City Centre, which is faring worse than Jackson Square at the moment. The "super block" between York, James, King, and Bay was largely the result of trying to compete with suburban flight of people and businesses in the 50s and 60s. There used to be some nice old architecture there, but of course it's all turned into blah now.

OK, now I am confused. A Google Map hunt for "Jackson Square" brings up nothing. I can see "Eaton Centre" at the address you mention above, which I thought was Jackson Square. Where's this HCC address?

Don't confuse the poor person who doesn't live there yet :haha:

Edit: Aha, I've got it worked out now. Wikipedia to the rescue!

highwater
Jul 2, 2008, 8:21 PM
The Eaton Centre has been renamed Hamilton City Centre. Jackson Square and HCC are separate, but adjacent and connected. I actually don't mind JS, although it's a street-killer, but they can bulldoze the execrable HCC anytime.

Don't know of any online maps showing the neighbourhood names, but all the print ones have it. You might have to wait to pick one up on your next visit.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 8:39 PM
The Eaton Centre has been renamed Hamilton City Centre. Jackson Square and HCC are separate, but adjacent and connected. I actually don't mind JS, although it's a street-killer, but they can bulldoze the execrable HCC anytime.

Don't know of any online maps showing the neighbourhood names, but all the print ones have it. You might have to wait to pick one up on your next visit.

I do remember, forgive me I don't recall the names, that there was a building directly opposite the HCC or perhaps a little west from it, and at one point it feels like you're walking inside a car tunnel. I found that rather oppressive the night I walked back to the hotel along King. It's the 70s dark brick used that doesn't help. I'm sure something more modern and airy could be built today on the site that would be a jaw dropper. The thing that stunned me about the HCC was the lack of anything with a name brand. There was a Tim Horton's *shock* and a Roots. It wasn't until I went to Eastgate and Limeridge that I came across shops with names I'd heard of. Sorry, I know that's been debated in another thread, but as a person visiting Hamilton for the first time, that was a total shock.

I've looked at the map I did pick up a Rand McNally foldup city map. It does have Corktown on, but doesn't seem to have that much else.

I've found Flar's phototour map: http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/segaert/finale/map.jpg

Something like this showing neighbourhood boundaries would be awesome.

astroblaster
Jul 2, 2008, 9:42 PM
theres this one: (pdf format)

http://map.hamilton.ca/Static/PDFs/General%20Interest%20maps/Overall%20City/NeighbourhoodBoundaries.pdf

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 10:00 PM
Interesting map. Haven't heard of half of those areas. Is that a town and planning map as those don't often co-incide with what the people call an area.

astroblaster
Jul 2, 2008, 10:23 PM
yah, i guess this would be a town planning map, but to my knowledge most of the names match up with the local names. i don't think the mountain neighbourhood names are used often.. usually just divided into east/west in my experience

matt602
Jul 2, 2008, 10:25 PM
First of all I want to say that it's excellent to see people coming to Southern Ontario from the UK. I don't know too many people from the UK but the ones I do always seem so interesting and have a different view on life than anyone else I know. I guess things are really different over there. The accents from different parts of the UK are also so awesome to hear :P I guess just like you came here hoping to hear people going "eh" and talking about hockey and maple syrup...

Anyway I'm glad you're so excited about coming here, I'm sure you'll feel right at home within no time at all. Everybody has already covered the areas I would have suggested in this thread. You definitely want to be downtown or at least "central". I would have personally suggested a loft or condo downtown... but then I realize that Hamilton isn't exactly supplying too awesomely in regards to that. If the Royal Connaught condo project actually takes off though, I'm sure you'll be taking a look at it. Lots of British history in that old hotel, I might add. A couple of royal visits over the years.

Anyway I'll be watching this thread pretty closely. I hope everything falls into place for you so you can enjoy your first spring and summer here in Hamilton next year. If you need to know anything about the extreme Eastern part of Hamilton, I can help you out. I live right near the border with Stoney Creek. I know you expressed little interest in that area, but I could still help identify areas of interest.

omro
Jul 2, 2008, 11:04 PM
First of all I want to say that it's excellent to see people coming to Southern Ontario from the UK. I don't know too many people from the UK but the ones I do always seem so interesting and have a different view on life than anyone else I know. I guess things are really different over there.

I think the same of my north american friends. They have such a different take on life that it's great. Personally I can't think of anything better than two people from different cultural backgrounds getting together, which is why I've never been that attracted to my fellow Brits. :yuck: :haha:

The accents from different parts of the UK are also so awesome to hear :P I guess just like you came here hoping to hear people going "eh" and talking about hockey and maple syrup...

We do have a huge diversity of accents for such a small country and my American friends are forever saying "so that's accent is Scottish?" to which I have to answer "No, that's Scouse... Brummie... Geordie... Mancunian... etc." I don't know why they think every new accent they hear is Scottish, but hey ho. I do like Canadian accents, they're softer than American ones. My general experience of Canadians suggests that they're a very friendly people, I hope that I'm not proven wrong.

Anyway I'm glad you're so excited about coming here, I'm sure you'll feel right at home within no time at all.

What's not to be excited about? OK, the city has a few downsides, but then so does everywhere. As I saw in April, the city has "the bones", with a few visionary people it'll be amazing in a few years time and I'd rather get in while I can and watch it transform around me (help it transform if I can) than stay here where I'm no longer happy and re-examine things in a few years and realise I made a mistake. I'd much rather make a mistake following a dream than to regret not having done so. I know people might be a little shocked about following a dream to move to Hamilton, lol, but actually the dream is to live in Canada and grow as a person as a result, the place isn't "that" important, it was going to be Vancouver, now it's going to be Hamilton. Home is what you make of it and I'm hoping to find some pretty cool people in Hamilton to help me feel at home :-)

Everybody has already covered the areas I would have suggested in this thread. You definitely want to be downtown or at least "central". I would have personally suggested a loft or condo downtown... but then I realize that Hamilton isn't exactly supplying too awesomely in regards to that.

Had I not lent half my money to family (the things we do), I'd have had about $300k to throw around and would definitely have bought a super slick condo. I don't think the outside is that exciting, but the Core Lofts condos that were for sale looked gorgeous in that price range when I was looking on MLS in April. There was also a lovely apartment in the Olympia Towers that had stunning views and was perfect for me at about $140k. No wonder that was on and off the site again in the week I was looking.

If the Royal Connaught condo project actually takes off though, I'm sure you'll be taking a look at it. Lots of British history in that old hotel, I might add. A couple of royal visits over the years.

British History and Royal visits? You do know that most of our Royal Family is german don't you? :-P That said I have the utmost respect for the Queen. The rest of them... well... Back on subject, where is this condo project?

Anyway I'll be watching this thread pretty closely. I hope everything falls into place for you so you can enjoy your first spring and summer here in Hamilton next year.

Me too, all depends on the housing market at the time. Damn these mortgage lock ins...

If you need to know anything about the extreme Eastern part of Hamilton, I can help you out. I live right near the border with Stoney Creek. I know you expressed little interest in that area, but I could still help identify areas of interest.

East Hamilton isn't off the map for me, but unless the LRT definitely happens I don't think I'd want to live there. I'm more of a walker than a public transport taker, if I can avoid it. It's not the cost, compared to London your buses are reasonably cheap, I just like the convenience of having things on my doorstep. I've ridden your buses and to their credit they seemed clean and ontime. Obviously the people who ride the bus get to know the drivers, because there was a lot of chatting between driver and passenger, pretty much unheard of on London buses! Personally, I know this is for another thread, but as a potential new resident of your city, I really hope LRT happens. I've seen how it has transformed the inner cities of places in the UK.

My parents are an entirely different story. If I move, with both of their children in Hamilton they will definitely move and when they sell up they'll have far more money than I do to play with. Mum's already fallen for the style of house, throw in a big back yard, a porch she can sit on and do her Grandma thing and she'll be all set.

I have to say, if everyone is as welcoming as people on this forum seem to be, I'm definitely going to stay excited about the move!

MsMe
Jul 2, 2008, 11:16 PM
Most people in Canada are very friendly and helpful. :)

the dude
Jul 3, 2008, 6:26 AM
HOUSE FOR SALE!!
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/P1050666.jpg
LOCATED APPROX 1O MIN WALK FROM DOWNTOWN CORE, THIS [ALMOST] CENTURY HOME COULD BE YOURS FOR THE RIGHT PRICE ;). LOVINGLY RESTORED, OPEN-CONCEPT, CENTRAL AIR, FINISHED BASEMENT, 3 BR, 2 BATH. ACCEPTING OFFERS NOW!

omro
Jul 3, 2008, 7:14 AM
very cute, wouldn't know what to offer. I haven't sold mine yet. lol.

My mum loves that design with the deep porches.

flar
Jul 3, 2008, 1:04 PM
HOUSE FOR SALE!!
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa121/the_dude1974/P1050666.jpg
LOCATED APPROX 1O MIN WALK FROM DOWNTOWN CORE, THIS [ALMOST] CENTURY HOME COULD BE YOURS FOR THE RIGHT PRICE ;). LOVINGLY RESTORED, OPEN-CONCEPT, CENTRAL AIR, FINISHED BASEMENT, 3 BR, 2 BATH. ACCEPTING OFFERS NOW!

Is that your house?

DC83
Jul 3, 2008, 2:13 PM
very cute, wouldn't know what to offer. I haven't sold mine yet. lol.

My mum loves that design with the deep porches.

It depends on the hood:
Stinson, $140,000-$150,000
Corktown, $160,000 - $170,000
Durand, $210,000 - $225,000
Burlington Street Industrial, $65,000 - $75,500
(my approximates for Dude's super-cute lil house)

I'm no real estate expert... but I do search MLS a lot.

the dude
Jul 3, 2008, 3:16 PM
Is that your house?

ya, ain't it purdy?

similar homes on my street have been listed in the $180K-$200K range and have sold. it was never my intention to make any money on the house but with a little luck...

markbarbera
Jul 3, 2008, 3:32 PM
It depends on the hood:
Stinson, $140,000-$150,000

Maybe five years ago! Stinson prices have skyrocketed lately. You would be hard pressed to get a home in the area for less than 180K now.There's been a flurry of activity in the neighbourhood with houses being listed and sold in short time. Five houses were listed in my neighbourhood (Stinson) in June ranging in price from 199Kto 260K. All but one are now sold - the 199K home sold within a week of its listing. The only one from the June listings still up for grabs has a 239K asking price...

flar
Jul 3, 2008, 3:39 PM
Stinson is hot for sure. A few of the streets look really amazing with all the renovations and the beautiful gardens, not to mention some of the finest residential architecture in Hamilton.

raisethehammer
Jul 3, 2008, 3:44 PM
yup, I ride my bike and the bus through Stinson almost everyday.
The transformation in the past 3 years has been stunning. Some of the sweetest homes in Hamilton. And tons of great reno's.

the dude
Jul 3, 2008, 3:54 PM
^one of my favourite streets in the city is blythe - it's like stepping back in time a hundred + years.

highwater
Jul 3, 2008, 4:02 PM
Mum's already fallen for the style of house, throw in a big back yard, a porch she can sit on and do her Grandma thing and she'll be all set.

Your folks might have a tough time with the "big backyard" in the lower city. Mind you "big" is relative. I think my Westdale backyard is huge, but our suburban relatives run screaming with claustrophobia. Just hope your parents' quest for acreage doesn't push them out to the 'burbs.

DC83
Jul 3, 2008, 4:04 PM
Maybe five years ago! Stinson prices have skyrocketed lately. You would be hard pressed to get a home in the area for less than 180K now.There's been a flurry of activity in the neighbourhood with houses being listed and sold in short time. Five houses were listed in my neighbourhood (Stinson) in June ranging in price from 199Kto 260K. All but one are now sold - the 199K home sold within a week of its listing. The only one from the June listings still up for grabs has a 239K asking price...

Wow. I had no clue. My friend's rents sold their Webber St hse probably just over 3yrs ago now for only $130,000 -- I was just going off that.

I know there are some much bigger homes in Stinson that can be a lil more expensive, but I think the only thing holding this hood back is the rediculous amount of Community Homes. Stinson + St Clair must have the highest Community/Halfway House to regular residential ratio in the city.

I knew two people that bought houses on Grant Ave YEARS ago (prolly mid-late 90's) and sold them about 1.5 years ago. They made enough return to move to buy a condo downtown Toronto (Church/Wellesly area).

Stinson is definately a good investment if you want a great return... however, it can be a seedy neighbourhood at times (and for the love of God, don't shop at it's No Frills hahahaha)

omro
Jul 3, 2008, 4:24 PM

Hamilton seems to have attracted the "flippers" - not sure if that's a bad thing though, they tend to improve the properties and thus the neighbourhood. However prices can only rise so far so fast before people say "Not paying that much for that".

I'll just have to hope for good luck on the real estate market when the time comes :)

omro
Jul 3, 2008, 4:26 PM
Stinson is definately a good investment if you want a great return... however, it can be a seedy neighbourhood at times (and for the love of God, don't shop at it's No Frills hahahaha)

See I have all this to learn, where to shop, where not to shop, how much things cost, what's a good price, etc. It's gonna be fun, and hopefully not too expensive a "trial and error" process. lol

First thing I'll need to do is find somewhere that sells decent tea, none of that Orange Pekoe rubbish! :haha:

omro
Jul 3, 2008, 4:32 PM
Your folks might have a tough time with the "big backyard" in the lower city. Mind you "big" is relative. I think my Westdale backyard is huge, but our suburban relatives run screaming with claustrophobia. Just hope your parents' quest for acreage doesn't push them out to the 'burbs.

Their current back garden is about 30ft by 100ft which is quite good for just outside of London.

oldcoote
Jul 3, 2008, 5:39 PM
Their current back garden is about 30ft by 100ft which is quite good for just outside of London.

That's fairly standard for an entire lot in Westdale. Mine is 35x100

Not many lots longer than that, except highwaters. :tup:

block43
Jul 3, 2008, 5:44 PM
First thing I'll need to do is find somewhere that sells decent tea, none of that Orange Pekoe rubbish! :haha:

There are some good loose leaf tea sellers around:
-Affinity on John Street in Hamilton
-in Dundas there is a store that sells loose tea and chocolate...can't remember the name though.

flar
Jul 3, 2008, 5:51 PM
There's an entire store devoted to all things British in Dundas, I've never been in before. Dundas is a very British town, there are several places where you could get good tea.

DC83
Jul 3, 2008, 6:00 PM
See I have all this to learn, where to shop, where not to shop, how much things cost, what's a good price, etc. It's gonna be fun, and hopefully not too expensive a "trial and error" process. lol

Funny you mention that. I also love tea (don't drink coffee, bleh) and have yet to find a good tea shop in The Hammer :(
HOWEVER, there is a great (altho somewhat expensive) place in Toronto called House of Tea in the Rosedale Neighbourhood located at 1015 Yonge St. How do I even know that omg I spend way too much time in TO! haha

omro
Jul 3, 2008, 6:38 PM
Funny you mention that. I also love tea (don't drink coffee, bleh) and have yet to find a good tea shop in The Hammer :(
HOWEVER, there is a great (altho somewhat expensive) place in Toronto called House of Tea in the Rosedale Neighbourhood located at 1015 Yonge St. How do I even know that omg I spend way too much time in TO! haha

Awesome, that's my business idea sorted then, I shall arive in Hamilton and set up a shop that sells decent tea! :)

holymoly
Jul 4, 2008, 12:16 AM
Awesome, that's my business idea sorted then, I shall arive in Hamilton and set up a shop that sells decent tea! :)

Great idea!:tup:

omro
Jul 4, 2008, 9:29 AM
There's an entire store devoted to all things British in Dundas, I've never been in before. Dundas is a very British town, there are several places where you could get good tea.

Dundas looks great in your tours, definitely somewhere to visit. Your tours definitely work to the advantage of the area.

At least that's one fear out of the way. I can live with all the supposed downsides of Hamilton, I say supposed because they seem a little exaggerated. But, I can't live in a city where I can't get a decent cup of tea!

omro
Jul 4, 2008, 9:35 AM
There are some good loose leaf tea sellers around:
-Affinity on John Street in Hamilton
-in Dundas there is a store that sells loose tea and chocolate...can't remember the name though.

Cool, that'll be something to check out on my next visit. I have all these places that I want to see on my second visit. I'm compiling a list.

First visit was wandering around, getting the feel of the place, spending time with my family, etc.

Is there a good thread or site with "things to see and do in Hamilton"? The forgotten or overlooked Hamilton, such a thread or site would be great to show people who have never been to the city or to use as an argument against the people you guys call squelchers.

MsMe
Jul 4, 2008, 4:13 PM
Lots of info on this site Omro.

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/TourismAndVisitorInfo/

omro
Jul 4, 2008, 5:21 PM
Lots of info on this site Omro.

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/TourismAndVisitorInfo/

I'll have a further look at that site, am sure I've looked at it before.

I was more meaning a less tourist focussed site. Something that fosters local and community spirit and activities. There are things for tourists and then things for locals. For example there are a few places in London that most self respecting Londoners would avoid because of the tourists.

btw, has anyone seen what they're selling in their eStore. :shrug:

markbarbera
Jul 4, 2008, 5:26 PM
This may be more along the lines of what you were looking for...

http://www.tourismhamilton.com/

omro
Jul 4, 2008, 5:40 PM
This may be more along the lines of what you were looking for...

http://www.tourismhamilton.com/

Another site which I've seen before. It's a good site for tourists. However...

I was more meaning a less tourist focussed site. Something that fosters local and community spirit and activities.

MsMe
Jul 4, 2008, 7:19 PM
Maybe this page is more what you are wanting. :)

http://www.tourismhamilton.com/servlet/pagedetail/id/42

highwater
Jul 4, 2008, 8:14 PM
You could do worse than the culture/dining/etc. section of this forum, especially the cuisine and music threads. And check out artshamilton.ca.

When you get here, be sure to pick up a copy of Hmagazine, also History and Heritage and Bryan Prince in Westdale have good selections of local books with architectural walking tours, if you like that sort of thing. 2nd Friday of the month is the James North Art Crawl, a not-to-be-missed local event.

There's more, but that's my two cents for now.

IronWarrior
Jul 5, 2008, 5:23 AM
I have lived in Hamilton all of my 31 years and would'nt live anywhere else and I have visited alot of different places!

omro
Jul 6, 2008, 9:01 PM
I'm in the process of "thinking out loud" about my future move. I thought I'd post a few of these thoughts. I'll add to them as more occur to me, but this is my initial starting point...

I was looking at the map of Hamilton the other day and thinking what would illustrate the ideal area that I would like to live in. So I drew some potential boundaries onto the map:

North - Barton
East - Victoria
South - Charlton
West - Dundurn

This is a google map that I've editted.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/omro/boundaries.gif

This is all theoretical, as I've not checked out all of this area yet and won't until October. If people think I should consider areas outside this map, feel free to tell me why. If there are places within this map that I really shouldn't consider also please say. The map is just a guideline anyway to show you the area that I'm thinking about.

If I end up - assuming I can afford to - in a property within this area, my main thoughts were related to:

Transport - would need to find out about the costs of public transport, as I don't drive.

Shopping - where would I shop without breaking the bank, without having to commute to a huge store (unless the commute would be worth it).

Gym - I've lost 50lbs in the last few years, so I need to keep working out, so would need to find a decent gym within the area.

Entertainment - places to go out, restaurants, bars, theatre, cinema, cultural stuff, etc.

I'll think of more no doubt, suggestions welcome.

flar
Jul 7, 2008, 12:02 AM
^^the northeast quadrant in the area you've selected has a lot of grittiness. I would also consider the North End. Although it might be a little far for walking downtown, it's a very quick bus ride (free trolley up and down James in the summer) and it has potential that is being realized right now. I posted photos of North End residential last week: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153731

IronWarrior
Jul 7, 2008, 5:03 AM
I'm in the process of "thinking out loud" about my future move. I thought I'd post a few of these thoughts. I'll add to them as more occur to me, but this is my initial starting point...

I was looking at the map of Hamilton the other day and thinking what would illustrate the ideal area that I would like to live in. So I drew some potential boundaries onto the map:

North - Barton
East - Victoria
South - Charlton
West - Dundurn

This is a google map that I've editted.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/omro/boundaries.gif

This is all theoretical, as I've not checked out all of this area yet and won't until October. If people think I should consider areas outside this map, feel free to tell me why. If there are places within this map that I really shouldn't consider also please say. The map is just a guideline anyway to show you the area that I'm thinking about.

If I end up - assuming I can afford to - in a property within this area, my main thoughts were related to:

Transport - would need to find out about the costs of public transport, as I don't drive.

Shopping - where would I shop without breaking the bank, without having to commute to a huge store (unless the commute would be worth it).

Gym - I've lost 50lbs in the last few years, so I need to keep working out, so would need to find a decent gym within the area.

Entertainment - places to go out, restaurants, bars, theatre, cinema, cultural stuff, etc.

I'll think of more no doubt, suggestions welcome.

Transport- I would'nt have a clue what the cost of taking the HSR is these days...I drive or walk and have'nt used it in about 10 years, but I do know its much cheaper to buy a pass for the whole month.

Shopping- depends what your looking to buy? the stores in Jackson Square have some good deals, actually alot of the stores downtown have good deals!

Gym- Well... I would have to say Family Fitness! in Jackson square:)

Entertainment-Restaurants- Black Forest Inn 'German/Austrian' Capri 'Italian' Hunan House 'Chinese' Marks Chinese Food, just a few of my favs, all been in biz for 30 plus years!
Bars...Chesters Beers of the World 'downtown' Westown Bar 'Locke street' Walts 'Jackson Square' plus theres a few night clubs around downtown, but I'am not really into that scene much.. theres some good bands that play at PepperJacks Cafe at King William and Hughson sometimes..I could go on forever..... theres so many places..

IronWarrior
Jul 7, 2008, 5:10 AM
If your looking for a place I personally would stay west of Queen street...just my opinion..if theres anything specific you need to know just ask.

omro
Jul 7, 2008, 8:08 AM
If your looking for a place I personally would stay west of Queen street...just my opinion..if theres anything specific you need to know just ask.

All input is useful input :-)

What's wrong with east of Queen Street? There are some nice (on the inside) condos on Bay. Not quite in my price range anymore, were they still forsale, but I liked them when I looked online in the past.

highwater
Jul 7, 2008, 1:58 PM
I was surprised by that comment too. There's nothing wrong with east of Queen as far as I can tell, and you've got the commercial area on James S. Groceries might be a little tricky without a car, though.

I would second the North End. It's getting very funky, and not too far from James N and the Farmer's Market.

omro
Jul 7, 2008, 2:20 PM
I had heard bad things about Barton and the North End, but the area seems ripe for rejuventation. My sibling's family have settled near Barton, a little further east of my "zone" and love it.

All input is good input though :-)

I have remembered walking past a gym on Cannon Street within my "zone", I didn't see any others during my visit. Are there many gyms in Hamilton or is it not really a common thing there or are the few that there are so big that you don't need many? London gyms tend to be quite small and pretty much everywhere.

flar
Jul 7, 2008, 2:35 PM
The North End, north of the railroad tracks and near the Bayfront: this is the area I recommend. The area between Barton and the rail corridor and and east of Wellington north of the rail corridor is not recommended.

block43
Jul 7, 2008, 2:53 PM
The area between barton and the rail corridor between bay and John seems perfectly fine!?

There is a bed and breakfast on MacNab, a house listed currently on MLS for $359,000 on Park and plans to convert the old school at 50 Murray West (currently Marty Karl Centre) into residentail Condos. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

flar
Jul 7, 2008, 2:58 PM
It's alright in a small section between James and Bay, but eastward is quite gritty and west of Bay is scrapyards and industry.

omro
Jul 7, 2008, 2:59 PM
The North End, north of the railroad tracks and near the Bayfront: this is the area I recommend. The area between Barton and the rail corridor and and east of Wellington north of the rail corridor is not recommended.

What streets surround this area? Just so I can get it in my mind where you mean.

omro
Jul 7, 2008, 3:01 PM
The area between barton and the rail corridor between bay and John seems perfectly fine!?

So Barton, Bay, John, King? That zone?

flar
Jul 7, 2008, 3:03 PM
What streets surround this area? Just so I can get it in my mind where you mean.

This link to google maps shows the area:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.271315,-79.86228&spn=0.010405,0.017467&z=16

omro
Jul 7, 2008, 3:13 PM
This link to google maps shows the area:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.271315,-79.86228&spn=0.010405,0.017467&z=16

When I was looking on MLS in April, I never saw anything in that area for sale, so I assumed it wasn't residential. Either that or few people sell up in that area often.

I would imagine that area isn't cheap, being near the bayfront.

block43
Jul 7, 2008, 3:18 PM
I would imagine that area isn't cheap, being near the bayfront.

There are still some good deals in that area if you are willing to do some work.