PDA

View Full Version : mmmmmmmm....beer

oldcoote
Jun 12, 2008, 6:35 PM
With the nice weather, beer drinking season is in full swing.

I had a delicious Raspberry Wheat Beer from Kawartha Lakes Brewery on the weekend.

What are your favourites on a hot summer afternoon?

And where is your favourite local patio?

astroblaster
Jun 12, 2008, 7:18 PM
i like Ceilidh house in Hess Village

astroblaster
Jun 12, 2008, 7:24 PM
in fact i think i'm going to head to Ceilidh tonight. as for favourite beer.. i'm really not that picky, I usually just drink something domestic. but occasionally I enjoy a good German beer, like Holsten Maibock

highwater
Jun 12, 2008, 7:31 PM
mmmm...Steamwhistle.

Favourite patio? Mine! Come on by.;)

flar
Jun 12, 2008, 7:34 PM
Holsten Maibock, I think that's a really strong beer, like 7% alcohol. I enjoy pilseners on a hot day but I like dark, flavourful ales better most of the time. No kind in particular, I like to mix things up and try new brands all the time. Kawartha Lakes makes a nut brown ale, it's interesting but not one of my favourites.

btw, good idea for a thread, I'll be visiting this often!

FairHamilton
Jun 12, 2008, 7:42 PM
Anything from Lakes of Muskoka Cottage Brewery. Especially when it's out of my 1947 Frigidaire that I modified with a draught tap and drip tray on the door, and a 20L keg inside. :cool:

Favourite patio is anyone with friends.

oldcoote
Jun 12, 2008, 8:20 PM
I've heard great things about the Winking Judge on Augusta.
Anyone been there?

block43
Jun 12, 2008, 8:23 PM
I LOVE the winking judge. They serve local microbrew with no preservatives. It is my regular hangout.

They also have really good wings.

Jon Dalton
Jun 12, 2008, 8:38 PM
For local stuff - the Winking Judge has the best taps in the city no doubt about it. They only serve microbrews and about 20 of them at that. Mill St. products, especially the stock ale, are hot on my list as the summer begins.

Rebels Rock irish pub is the best for imports. I reccommend the Belhaven Scottish ale.

Patios: Pepperjack cafe and the backyard of Winking Judge. The roof of London Tap House disappoints.

highwater
Jun 12, 2008, 9:19 PM
Especially when it's out of my 1947 Frigidaire that I modified with a draught tap and drip tray on the door, and a 20L keg inside. :cool:

Ok. Your place then.:)

astroblaster
Jun 12, 2008, 9:30 PM
maibock is 7%... not really a great summer patio chilling beer.. but it definitely gets the job done right.

rousseau
Jun 13, 2008, 4:06 AM
I'm very impressed by all the love shown for the Winking Judge (http://www.winkingjudge.com/). I was a regular for a couple of years around the turn of the century. The beer selection is unparalleled, and the atmosphere is pure, quirky Hamilton: steelworkers and Mac post-docs cheek-by-jowl discussing everything from classic Zippo lighters to current events to fluid dynamics. I spent many happy evenings there enjoying the conviviality, and even playing Chess, both Chinese and Western. It's the only pub I've ever been to in Canada, never mind Hamilton, that actually feels like a pub, meaning that nobody looks at you funny if you walk in alone.* Dozens of people from the UK whom I met at the Judge corroborated this, and friends from around the world who visited me in Hamilton were equally impressed by the place.

The Winking Judge is easily at the top of the list of the things I miss most about Hamilton.

*In my experience this cold reserve and unsociability is somewhat unique to Ontario, and I suspect it is part of our Scottish inheritance.

flar
Jun 13, 2008, 4:14 AM
I was a regular for a couple of years around the turn of the century.

That sounds funny but it can honestly be said in our time. I wonder if it will become more common in 20 years?

Out of the beers mentioned here, Steamwhistle has been my choice a couple times lately for a refreshing pilsener when I need my thirst quenched. And the Mill St. stuff is pretty good, I've had their Tankhouse Ale and Coffee Porter. Both were enjoyable and had very original flavours. Tankhouse Ale is kinda dry and spicy or something, not a typical ale. The coffee porter is very dark and rich but surprisingly refreshing, and has a strong coffee flavour. If I recall, it also had a high alcohol content plus caffeine. Might have the kick you're looking for astroblaster:)

ihateittoo
Jun 13, 2008, 4:30 PM
Negra Modelo is a nice mexican beer for the summer days.
and I have been enjoying my russian Baltika and my hobo 1L bottles of schlitz lately.

oldcoote
Jun 13, 2008, 4:44 PM
The Amsterdam brewery out of Toronto brews a Natural Blonde Lager that's quite good.

I'm not a huge pilsner drinker, but if I do, then Steamwhistle is my choice. I love their brewery as well.

Oh, and I've always had a soft spot for Creemore (especially on tap), although I've been somewhat glum since Molson bought them.

holymoly
Jun 13, 2008, 5:22 PM
I like Steam Whistle for a summer drink. Rest of the year, I usually go for something darker.

highwater
Jun 13, 2008, 5:53 PM
*In my experience this cold reserve and unsociability is somewhat unique to Ontario, and I suspect it is part of our Scottish inheritance.

Must be the Scots. Cause it sure ain't the Irish.:D

raisethehammer
Jun 16, 2008, 2:36 AM
[QUOTE=rousseau;3610842]I'm very impressed by all the love shown for the Winking Judge (http://www.winkingjudge.com/). I was a regular for a couple of years around the turn of the century. The beer selection is unparalleled, and the atmosphere is pure, quirky Hamilton: steelworkers and Mac post-docs cheek-by-jowl discussing everything from classic Zippo lighters to current events to fluid dynamics. I spent many happy evenings there enjoying the conviviality, and even playing Chess, both Chinese and Western. It's the only pub I've ever been to in Canada, never mind Hamilton, that actually feels like a pub, meaning that nobody looks at you funny if you walk in alone.* Dozens of people from the UK whom I met at the Judge corroborated this, and friends from around the world who visited me in Hamilton were equally impressed by the place.

The Winking Judge is easily at the top of the list of the things I miss most about Hamilton.

heck, I don't even drink and this is one my favourite places in the Hammer.

astroblaster
Jun 16, 2008, 10:38 PM
thought i would share this info i just received from pepper jack's:

Hey there, if you like beer, you may be happy to know about some summer beer specials we are having this summer.

Every Monday: $3.50 Domestic bottles
Every Tuesday: $4 Pints
Every Wednesday: $4.50 Import bottles.

adam
Jul 26, 2008, 2:04 AM
I finally got out the the Three 16 lounge at 316 King St E. You wouldn't be able to tell from the street, but the inside is beautiful, and the back patio is to die for. Its so well situated that you have to really strain to hear any traffic at all. They have a great selection of beers from all over the world too. Great atmosphere, probably the most relaxing and satisfying places I've been to in Hamilton ever!

raisethehammer
Jul 26, 2008, 2:51 AM
I'm with ya...one problem though, it's 316 King East, not Main. Lol.

beanmedic
Jul 31, 2008, 4:31 AM
I finally got out the the Three 16 lounge at 316 Main St E. You wouldn't be able to tell from the street, but the inside is beautiful, and the back patio is to die for. Its so well situated that you have to really strain to hear any traffic at all. They have a great selection of beers from all over the world too. Great atmosphere, probably the most relaxing and satisfying places I've been to in Hamilton ever!

It is an awesome place for a beer, that's for sure.

coalminecanary
Jul 31, 2008, 1:34 PM
I gotta get onto that 316 back patio.

I have to also support the judge. That place is my favourite for kicking back with a pint. It's not the cheapest but it's consistently the best selection and the staff are super nice. It really is like your neighbourhood bar where everyone kinda knows each other, and you can drop in alone or with friends and either way you'll end up striking up conversations with the tables around you. Plus they ahve a front patio if you want to watch the street go by, and a back patio if you want a little more seclusion. The only physical change I'd make out back is to move the kitchen fan ;-)

Flar's photo:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/segaert/corktwn/00010.jpg

For pure patio, and for music - and for dinner - I'd pick pepperjack's. The manager is an awesome guy, they use local ingredients to make amazing food - especially the burritos and pizzas. The beer selection is small - and somewhat random. Most days you can get a flavour of churchkey and a flavour of wellington though, which is nice. The patio is probably the best in the city. Bonus is you can watch the lister drama while you drink :cheers:

sofasurfer
Jul 31, 2008, 2:39 PM
pepperjack's... use local ingredients to make amazing food - especially the burritos and pizzas. :

Sounds good :9

Where is it?

That's a great picture of The Judge - I'm really looking forward to adopting that as my new local (six weeks to go :))

DC83
Jul 31, 2008, 5:21 PM
^^ 38 King William Street @ Hughson North
Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=PEPPERJACK+CAFE+HAMILTON+ON&ie=UTF8&cd=1&ll=43.260769,-79.86743&spn=0.035191,0.065918&t=h&z=14)

astroblaster
Aug 25, 2008, 10:49 PM
going to winking judge tonight.. augusta rules