PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Coliseum Renovations | Completed

mr.x
Jun 11, 2008, 6:57 PM
Posted by miniaturesnickers:

the progress of some of the work that's been done at the Pacific Coliseum. Note these were taken in April, so chances are they've done more since.

Most of the technical work seems to be done, now it's just a question of aesthetics. Note that VANOC's website now lists the completion date for the Coliseum as Summer 2008, where before it was December 2007.

Appears they're going for a navy blue colour scheme for the ceiling. Note that some parts have been painted while others haven't.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3044/2570275167_31eb07bc14.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3144/2570275315_f7740ab1f6.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/2571101710_ed4998c1cb.jpg

Work apparently being done behind the curtain. I snuck peek but couldn't see much.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/2570275753_71eaf40a20.jpg

The new concession stands in operation. Very slick, a step up on GM Place even.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2317/2570275223_3f211578c8.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3071/2571101614_642518a2db.jpg

New elevator. At the time the exterior housing had yet to be completely covered, but most of it was the same stainless steel seen here.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/2571101776_284a74d9a6.jpg

Annnd the concessions closed. Weird juxtaposition between the old paint job and the new.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2571101492_84794f00fa.jpg

The washrooms were also quite nice, though for obvious reasons I didn't take photos. All in all, I'd say some easy concourse renos and some exterior work and it'll be good to go for 2010.

mr.x
Jun 11, 2008, 6:58 PM
The $23-million we're spending on upgrades for the Coliseum are sure going a long way, thx for the pics min.

- cosmetic renovations
- new washrooms
- new seats
- ice plant improvements
- new rink slab
- new concession space
- building heating ventilation air conditioning (HVAC) and dehumidification systems

Cypherus
Jun 12, 2008, 1:38 AM
Thanks for the update. The impact of changes really is proof that 23 million can go a long way for aesthetic upgrades.

bils
Jun 12, 2008, 1:46 AM
are they doing anything on the outside? it's pretty fugly i must say.

MistyMountainHop
Jun 12, 2008, 1:54 AM
Nice.

I didn't see any of that when I was there for Iron Maiden, but maybe I was just in a different area.

deasine
Jun 12, 2008, 1:55 AM
It looks pretty good actually - nothing outstanding, but nice and clean. It's nice to see minor facelifts to what would be an important venue during the olympics. It looks very different from the last time I saw it when I was at PNE.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 12, 2008, 1:57 AM
are they doing anything on the outside? it's pretty fugly i must say.

I would assume they would be, though I can't say for sure just what they might do. I'd hope they'd at least replace the stairwells and do something with the part of the suites that extends to the exterior.

In a perfect world they'd do something with that overhang over the entrance as well as the plaza area although I'm less optimistic about that.

Bear in mind that these were taken in April, so I assume they'll get cracking on the remaining work soon (if they haven't already). As far as I know all the technical stuff has been finished since 07, ie the ice slab/HVAC system etc. but at the time I went there, the concourse looked exactly the same as it always had. I assume they'll just be painting it and improve the lighting, with new TVs and signage to come as part of the Olympic overlay.

I'm guessing because they were forced to work around events that that was a large reason for the deadline being pushed back from Dec 07 to Summer 08. Now that the Giants season is finished I'd expect they'll get things happening pretty quick so it's ready pre-PNE, and definitely before the Short Track that'll be there in Oct.

deasine
Jun 12, 2008, 2:47 AM
http://www.vancouver2010.com/images/gallery/fr/mediaCentre/lowRes/2006/01/Pacific_Coliseum.jpg
Source: Vancouver 2010

It would be nice if they could have graphic panels or like 3M wrap overtop of top of the gray concrete rectangle thingies XP Similar to the ones at Metrotown & BC Place.

mr.x
Jun 12, 2008, 3:12 AM
^ that's what I had in mind too.....it would be a huge cheap temporary cosmetic improvement for the exterior, and I'm sure they could light up the wrap at night.

eduardo88
Jun 12, 2008, 3:30 AM
does anyone know how much a 3M wrap would cost for a building the size of PC?

mr.x
Jun 12, 2008, 3:34 AM
does anyone know how much a 3M wrap would cost for a building the size of PC?

Not sure, but it can't be cheap. Definitely several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

http://www.mammothboarder.com/photos/slolympics/images/sb_building.jpg

miniaturesnickers
Jun 12, 2008, 3:40 AM
^^^

That would likely be covered under the operating cost, so all sponsorship money anyway, which is a plus.

eduardo88
Jun 12, 2008, 3:41 AM
well it can't be THAT much, cause there are so many buildings that get covered in graphics while they're under construction...many of them (particularly older buildings that are being renovated) are graphics of what the building will look like when done, i dont think they'd do that if it was outrageously expensive....still i'd love it if they were able to cover PC completely, its quite the eyesore from outside...not as bad as madison square gardens in nyc, but pretty close...

mr.x
Jun 12, 2008, 3:48 AM
For a building with the circumference and height of Pacific Coliseum, I would think it would cost at least $100,000.

I think/hope they will wrap it, with VANOC signing a contract last summer with 3M to be the supplier of building and vehicle wraps.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 12, 2008, 3:53 AM
As far as the ceiling goes, they MUST remove the yellow insulation. I'd be cool if they keep the hardwood seen in the photos, but would love it if they went with a metallic look, in keeping with the blue/stainless steel thing they've got going on throughout the rest of the renovated building. Something along the lines of this, from Citi Field, under construction in New York:

http://baseball-fever.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43803&d=1212539639

Photo c/o Mets.com/Baseball Fever

eduardo88
Jun 12, 2008, 3:58 AM
For a building with the circumference and height of Pacific Coliseum, I would think it would cost at least $100,000.

I think/hope they will wrap it, with VANOC signing a contract last summer with 3M to be the supplier of building and vehicle wraps.

Yeah I was thinking around 100 thousand, which may sound like alot, but compare that with an actual renovation of the exterior, which I love, but isn't really needed.

mr.x
Jun 12, 2008, 3:59 AM
^ i think the yellow insulation is more for acoustics....so that you don't get that BC Place Stadium "echo echo echo echo....".

danby
Jun 12, 2008, 5:11 AM
its looking good!! i like what i see soo far thanks for the update

MistyMountainHop
Jun 12, 2008, 6:44 AM
^ i think the yellow insulation is more for acoustics....so that you don't get that BC Place Stadium "echo echo echo echo....".

Yeah, you have to keep it. Pacific Coliseum's sound actually isn't that bad, but GM Place is better.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 12, 2008, 6:45 AM

Interesting. I'd hope then they'd at least replace it with something a little less... gross, if not finding another way to deal with the echo.

I assume that's what those numerous little foam prism-shaped things all around the building are for.

mr.x
Jun 12, 2008, 6:50 AM
Hopefully those yellow insulation panels aren't new....they could've picked a much better colour......unless those panels were on a 60% sale at RONA.

A light grey colour would've been nice.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 12, 2008, 6:59 AM
^^^

I don't believe they were. It didn't look like they were very far along with the roof, it was just that one side of the ceiling that had even been touched with paint when I was there. There was some new HVAC equipment/housing and a new catwalk that were still largely unpainted.

I suspect by now it's a different story. It looks like when VANOC said all the upgrades would be done by Dec 07, they were focusing on the major portions of the upgrades... as I said, the concourse was the same off white it's always been, most of the doors were the same as they've been for ages and nothing had been done to the exterior. But there was a curtain beneath the suites and on the west side of the building, so there was definitely work being done (the arrangement of the curtain was such that I don't think it was there to cover empty seats... the game was very close to a sell out and there wouldn't have been enough seats empty to warrant covering them).

But if the concessions are any indication of what the rest of the interior will eventually look like, I think it's going to look terrific. Definitely a facility we can be proud of.

mr.x
Jun 12, 2008, 7:03 AM
Well, it certainly gives the stadium at least another 25-years for its life span....and obviously, the Giants must be very happy with these upgrades.

Just wondering, where exactly does that elevator go to?

miniaturesnickers
Jun 12, 2008, 7:11 AM
It's kind of a strange thing... it's on the concourse, but it looks like it went to the media/back of house areas. The public didn't have access to it, despite it being smack dab in the middle of the concourse.

There's an elevated walkway beside the elevator that goes from the press gondola in the arena bowl to an open balcony area/adjacent rooms along the outer wall.

I think that area will be an Olympic family lounge during the Games. I'm not sure if they've replaced the elevator in the suite area as of yet however/if that's a concern.

excel
Jun 12, 2008, 10:05 AM
thanks for the updates.

EastVanMark
Jun 18, 2008, 1:11 AM
The yellow foam is for acoustics and as of now, are staying for the Olympics. The partially painted roof beams have been like that since 2002. Lighting systems updates are finished as well as 95% of the air conditioning system upgrades.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 18, 2008, 6:43 AM
^^^

Part of what's painted in the photos is the new catwalk installed in last year. So if it's indeed the case that those beams have been that way since 02, it appears they're now going to finish the job.

As for the yellow acoustic paneling... care to shed some light on where that info comes from?

EastVanMark
Jun 18, 2008, 7:13 AM
The only thing that is new is the platforms from the new dehumidifiers, and the new platform for the new TV lights which were finished last year. (upper left corner of the first picture). The second picture shows the old gondola which had the floor boards replaced about a year ago cause the old ones were rotting.

As for the the acoustic foam, I believe the came in in the late 70's early 80's at the same time when the first phase of renovations that later brought about an increase in capacity and added the skyboxes to the Coliseum at the behest of Canuck management. Another sound damper at the Coliseum are the little foam bricks which stick to the north wall and underneath some of the seating sections.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 18, 2008, 7:42 AM
I was more wondering where you learned that it will stay through 2010? Any idea what else they might be doing in the way of upgrades?

And in hindsight, you're right regarding the ceiling.

EastVanMark
Jun 18, 2008, 11:24 PM
:previous: Its not 100% that they (the acoustic foam) are staying, but for now, their are no plans to replace them. I got this from a friend of mine who is in PNE management.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 18, 2008, 11:40 PM
:previous: Its not 100% that they (the acoustic foam) are staying, but for now, their are no plans to replace them. I got this from a friend of mine who is in PNE management.

Gotcha... but it's still conceivable that they'll replace the foam/insulation that's currently there with the same stuff just... nicer looking, yes? Cause the yellow stuff looks like absolute ass, IMO.

Any idea what might be done to the exterior, if anything? Or what they've got left to do in the interior?

EastVanMark
Jun 19, 2008, 12:49 AM
Gotcha... but it's still conceivable that they'll replace the foam/insulation that's currently there with the same stuff just... nicer looking, yes? Cause the yellow stuff looks like absolute ass, IMO.

Any idea what might be done to the exterior, if anything? Or what they've got left to do in the interior?

Ya, the yellow does look like ass. And its funny since the painting of the roof beams was originally an idea by the Vancouver Giants in an effort to take the attention away from the building's roof to make for more of an intimate venue. The question then is why paint the beams a color that will stick out less, and yet leave the extremely loud yellow foam on the roof? Go figure...:shrug:

As for the exterior, the lighting surrounding the structure will be getting changed shortly. Don't know whether that means a whole new lighting system, or just alterations to the existing set up.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 19, 2008, 12:58 AM
Interesting.

Any idea if they'll be doing anything with the exterior staircases? You know, the ones that look like you'd fall through them if you stepped on them?

EastVanMark
Jun 19, 2008, 2:35 AM
As of now, 2 of the four staircases will be replaced.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 19, 2008, 2:41 AM
Nice. Thanks for all the info!

One last question... anything happening with the corridor to the suites that runs along the outside of the building, or to the main entrance/plaza area?

EastVanMark
Jun 19, 2008, 2:56 AM
Don't know about the entrance plaza, but the suite corridor is going to stay as they are now.

miniaturesnickers
Jun 19, 2008, 3:01 AM
^^^

On the exterior as well as the interior I'm assuming?

miniaturesnickers
Jun 26, 2008, 4:32 AM
Apparently there's another elevator being installed on the Northwest side of the building, I believe on the exterior.

From what I've heard some graffiti artists have used the scaffolding to climb up to the roof and do a little artwork along the upper rim of the building.

EastVanMark, can you shed some light on either?

EastVanMark
Jun 26, 2008, 7:21 AM
Don't know about either of those two things, but I will call my friend in the next few days and let you know what I find out.

mr.x
Sep 1, 2008, 7:27 PM
Went to the PNE yesterday, and I was expecting huge renovations to the concourse.....it looks just as shabby as before, you actually need to go to find the renovated sections.....it was pretty disappointing. I know they spent $20-million on renovations, but it's hardly noticeable.....wish there were more money in the pot for cosmetic renovations.

And to those who think that Hastings Park should be turned into a park with a fair in it, the fair this year was pretty lame already....it gets worse every year in such a confined space. It will only get much worse when you start greening the entire place.

jlousa
Sep 1, 2008, 8:14 PM
Sorry you feel that way, but a lot of people would disagree with you. The fair has turned much more family friendly lately. Attendance will be down this year but only due to the weather. The shows were great and packed. The free concerts are also an improvement over a few years ago when they had much bigger shows but you had to buy tickets.

The upgrades to the colisuem are great as well, you can't tell by watching the superdogs though, turn out for a giants game to get a better representation.

dreambrother808
Sep 1, 2008, 9:38 PM
And to those who think that Hastings Park should be turned into a park with a fair in it, the fair this year was pretty lame already....it gets worse every year in such a confined space. It will only get much worse when you start greening the entire place.

So true. A friend of mine visiting from Edmonton was bemoaning the fact that the PNE wasn't even on the level of Klondike Days. Limiting the space is not the answer.

mr.x
Sep 2, 2008, 1:25 AM
Sorry you feel that way, but a lot of people would disagree with you. The fair has turned much more family friendly lately. Attendance will be down this year but only due to the weather. The shows were great and packed. The free concerts are also an improvement over a few years ago when they had much bigger shows but you had to buy tickets.

The upgrades to the colisuem are great as well, you can't tell by watching the superdogs though, turn out for a giants game to get a better representation.

I've gone to the fair consecutively for the last 15 years or so, it's a family tradition....and I can tell you that with each year it gets progressively worse.

As for "family friendly", the fair has ALWAYS been family friendly.....the problem is that everything is getting smaller, hell there are less and less shows each year. Just one of many examples: years ago, they had an amazing parade within the park....then they canceled it for several years, brought it back with a much more mediocre parade three years ago with three daily parades, then last year it was two daily parades, and now this year it's just one.

Ever since they added the lake, the fair has become substantially smaller. And up until about 6 years ago, they had that nightly fireworks show in the lake.....now, it has been replaced with that mediocre stage fireball show and even that has been getting worse with each year.

clooless
Sep 2, 2008, 5:20 AM
Obviously the VPB wants the PNE out of Hastings Park. Just move the PNE to Surrey -- or wherever it is wanted -- and let the Parks Board complete their vision for Hastings Park.

Distill3d
Sep 2, 2008, 5:31 AM
So true. A friend of mine visiting from Edmonton was bemoaning the fact that the PNE wasn't even on the level of Klondike Days. Limiting the space is not the answer.

The PNE is certainly not on the level of the Calgary Stampede, but its defineately better than Klondike Days or its current name the "Capital Ex". The PNE doesn't have the space that the Stampede has. that is the one thing i did notice the 3 times i went.

it was mentioned that the PNE should be moved away from its current location, and previously i would have disagreed. however, having attended, i would have to say i did change my mind. it should be moved, however i'm certain the environmentalists would have issue with the area's i would suggest. Vancouver is limited on space, and moving the PNE to somewhere like Cloverdale is just a pain in the ass for everyone to get to.

mr.x
Sep 2, 2008, 6:14 AM
^ Cloverdale is wayyy too far, that's like the middle of nowhere.

Ideally, the Surrey Fraser River waterfront lot would have been an ideal location.....but nooo, the Liberals had to cancel it and hand the keys to the fair to the City of Vancouver, which has been pulling off the fair's arms and legs one by one with every passing year.

I would be all for a fair AND park if Hastings Park was much much larger......and I've said it before, move the fair elsewhere and move the Greater Vancouver Zoo to Hastings Park. Sure, there are animal activists in the city.....but you can make an argument that the animals would fair much better in a zoo that has much more attendance (thus much more scrutiny and attention to exhibits and treatment) as suppose to the incredibly cruel facility out at Abbottsford. Either way, you'd be using animals that are already present in the Lower Mainland - it's nothing new. The only thing new would be a much better and world-class facility.

As for the Pacfiic Coliseum, maybe the cosmetic renovations are a little more noticeable when there are Giants games but I highly doubt it'll be that much of a difference.....I mean, one just has to take a walk around the concourse and it's almost as if nothing has changed except a few concession stands and the washrooms.

mr.x
Sep 2, 2008, 6:59 AM
The PNE in 1992:
http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/vancouver/1992/vch1992_194.jpg

Today:
http://www.globalairphotos.com/images/bc/vancouver/2005/vch2005_310.jpg

Nuff said. If that isn't enough proof, then I don't know what is.

MistyMountainHop
Sep 2, 2008, 7:14 AM
^ Man, it sucks they got rid of Empire Stadium. It was pretty significant in Vancouver's history of sports and music.

flight_from_kamakura
Sep 2, 2008, 1:31 PM
nice visual point there mr x.

it is indeed quite annoying at how much the fair has deteriorated, really, it's a shadow of its former self

Distill3d
Sep 2, 2008, 3:39 PM
wow! what a difference that one building makes.

Distill3d
Sep 2, 2008, 3:49 PM
^ Cloverdale is wayyy too far, that's like the middle of nowhere.

Ideally, the Surrey Fraser River waterfront lot would have been an ideal location.....but nooo, the Liberals had to cancel it and hand the keys to the fair to the City of Vancouver, which has been pulling off the fair's arms and legs one by one with every passing year.

I'd personally like to see it moved to somewhere along SE Marine Drive, perhaps even say Mitchell Island. sure its a long shot, but why not, the place looks like its only being used by industry and is pretty much all open land anyways.

As for the Pacfiic Coliseum, maybe the cosmetic renovations are a little more noticeable when there are Giants games but I highly doubt it'll be that much of a difference.....I mean, one just has to take a walk around the concourse and it's almost as if nothing has changed except a few concession stands and the washrooms.

i agree with you. the building reminds me a lot of Rexall Place in Edmonton, except better.

miniaturesnickers
Sep 2, 2008, 4:29 PM
Went to the PNE yesterday, and I was expecting huge renovations to the concourse.....it looks just as shabby as before, you actually need to go to find the renovated sections.....it was pretty disappointing. I know they spent $20-million on renovations, but it's hardly noticeable.....wish there were more money in the pot for cosmetic renovations.

I don't think they're near finished yet. I think the idea was to get the building competition ready as quickly as possible, especially as they're having to work around the Giants/concert schedule. I imagine there will be more in the way of cosmetic renos pre-2010, but VANOC wasn't making those a priority until after the new ice plant, etc was finished.

crazyjoeda
Sep 2, 2008, 5:35 PM
What will they be doing to make the outside look better? It would be nice if they made the building more colourful, because it looks especially gloomy on a cloudy day. Maybe use some blue like the Richmond oval?

EastVanMark
Sep 2, 2008, 6:40 PM
I don't think they're near finished yet. I think the idea was to get the building competition ready as quickly as possible, especially as they're having to work around the Giants/concert schedule. I imagine there will be more in the way of cosmetic renos pre-2010, but VANOC wasn't making those a priority until after the new ice plant, etc was finished.

You are correct, they're not finished with the renovations just yet. The final phase of cosmetic renovations will not commence until after the 2008/09 Giants hockey season. The concert schedule will all but cease once Vanoc takes over the venue which is set to take place shortly.

EastVanMark
Sep 2, 2008, 6:44 PM
^ Man, it sucks they got rid of Empire Stadium. It was pretty significant in Vancouver's history of sports and music.

Truly was a huge (yet unavoidable) loss.:(

mr.x
Sep 2, 2008, 6:48 PM
You are correct, they're not finished with the renovations just yet. The final phase of cosmetic renovations will not commence until after the 2008/09 Giants hockey season. The concert schedule will all but cease once Vanoc takes over the venue which is set to take place shortly.

That's good to hear, I had assumed that renovations were done since they said it would be done by this summer.

EastVanMark
Sep 2, 2008, 6:59 PM
I've gone to the fair consecutively for the last 15 years or so, it's a family tradition....and I can tell you that with each year it gets progressively worse.

As for "family friendly", the fair has ALWAYS been family friendly.....the problem is that everything is getting smaller, hell there are less and less shows each year. Just one of many examples: years ago, they had an amazing parade within the park....then they canceled it for several years, brought it back with a much more mediocre parade three years ago with three daily parades, then last year it was two daily parades, and now this year it's just one.

Ever since they added the lake, the fair has become substantially smaller. And up until about 6 years ago, they had that nightly fireworks show in the lake.....now, it has been replaced with that mediocre stage fireball show and even that has been getting worse with each year.

The reason why the fair has less shows is simple- lack of space. Year after year, the PNE has to turn away countless attractions willing to come on site simply because it has no room for them. To add insult to injury, the annual bill to upkeep the greenspace(which by the way brings in a grand total of ZERO by way of revenue) within the grounds is over a million dollars at present and only is even at that figure since they have scaled back the upkeep of the lagoon.

BTW the fireworks were scaled back for 2 reasons:
1) the cost
2) for safety reasons since one year one of the trees close to the display caught fire.

FYI the orignial parade downtown was by FAR the best of the parades, and all the others dont even come close

mr.x
Sep 2, 2008, 7:15 PM
The reason why the fair has less shows is simple- lack of space. Year after year, the PNE has to turn away countless attractions willing to come on site simply because it has no room for them. To add insult to injury, the annual bill to upkeep the greenspace(which by the way brings in a grand total of ZERO by way of revenue) within the grounds is over a million dollars at present and only is even at that figure since they have scaled back the upkeep of the lagoon.

BTW the fireworks were scaled back for 2 reasons:
1) the cost
2) for safety reasons since one year one of the trees close to the display caught fire.

FYI the orignial parade downtown was by FAR the best of the parades, and all the others dont even come close

Those are my thoughts as well as stated previously, the whole lagoon/greenery part and the skatepark has killed a ton of the fair's previous exhibition space. It's beyond retarded that we're even thinking of greening the entire park. The city needs to make a choice: keep the fair as is without changes to the park or let go of the fair so that it can move elsewhere and green the park.

If they really wanted to, I'm sure they could've relocated the fireworks elsewhere.....and it wasn't a safety issue until the lagoon was built......but yea, I could see cost as a huge issue and that may have only been an issue when they built the lagoon, which affected attendance.:hell:

I don't remember the parade from downtown, all I can say is that the previous in-grounds parades were much better.

miniaturesnickers
Sep 2, 2008, 8:13 PM

Any indication what kind of cosmetic renos might take place at that time?

jlousa
Sep 2, 2008, 8:28 PM
I'd wait until they are done with the master plan before you decide if it sucks or not. Their aim at a more family friendly is already coming along, I know you aren't that old Mr. X but it wasn't that long ago that after 6pm all the families used to dissapper, the beer gardens would be overun with rowdys, there were almost nightly brawls amongst groups of teenagers. They've made huge strides in cleaning up that aspect. Heck I remember you weren't even allowed to bring in outside food, they changed that about 10yrs to attract families that couldn't afford to spend the whole day there.

AgentWill
Sep 2, 2008, 9:46 PM
As someone who never experienced the PNE in its former concrete and exhibition filled manor I can't compare but I can say that I love the greenspace and the lake and find the fair in its current form very much a great day out. I grew up going to the much larger CNE in Toronto (worked there for a couple of weeks one summer selling honey). Substitute the Exhibition Stadium for the Empire and you've got pretty much the same fair and likely on the same scale (per capita) back in the day.

The home show exhibitions always are a waste of time but for maybe a few things to buy that you don't really need. The rides are what they are and are great if you're a tween/teen. The superdogs... well, my wife and kid love them. The animal exhibition: Now that is something that I like to take my kid to. And when you're out and about and the you want some food and a bit of peace away from the crowds the lake area is far and away the greatest place to go. Crowds are fun for a bit but there's nothing like being able to have a peaceful picnic lunch in the middle of the PNE. It's something that the CNE will never have (never say never, but) and is something that makes this PNE truly a good day out.

The concerts? Meh. Are there any really good concerts for free at these festivals in Canada? Scratch that. I think they had a pretty good lineup this year and would have really enjoyed going to see Tower of Power. Hope they come back next year.

EastVanMark
Sep 2, 2008, 10:03 PM
Any indication what kind of cosmetic renos might take place at that time?

Mostly minor things, but the whole interior is supposed to be painted to match the color schemes found in the renovated concessions and bathrooms.

miniaturesnickers
Sep 3, 2008, 4:59 PM
Mostly minor things, but the whole interior is supposed to be painted to match the color schemes found in the renovated concessions and bathrooms.

Anything happening to the exterior?

MistyMountainHop
Sep 3, 2008, 8:54 PM
That's good to hear, I had assumed that renovations were done since they said it would be done by this summer.

No more Coliseum concerts until after the Olympics is not good to hear. :(

mr.x
Sep 4, 2008, 2:52 AM
No more Coliseum concerts until after the Olympics is not good to hear. :(

Boohoo...18 months.

clooless
Sep 4, 2008, 5:12 AM
I'd rather that than have the world look at a dumpy old stadium.

MistyMountainHop
Sep 4, 2008, 6:15 AM
I'd rather that than have the world look at a dumpy old stadium.

That it may be, but I still prefer it to GM Place (except for its location, of course).

mr.x
Sep 4, 2008, 6:22 AM
That it may be, but I still prefer it to GM Place (except for its location, of course).

Well, it's only like a year without any concert events at the Coliseum....and you'll get a much nicer renovated venue afterward.

mr.x
Jul 22, 2009, 5:51 AM
From an anonymous source, the Coliseum's ceiling is getting a major paint job and the entire interior will be painted as well. Exterior renovations will also be made, such as landscaping and improved accessibility (about time). There will also be new surfaces, such as carpet or laminate.

And several other Olympic venues will also receive paint jobs and perhaps new surfaces as well. VANOC is working hard to get all venues up to the same aesthetic standard.

The Pacific Coliseum should be quite a decent venue when all is finished. Those $20-million in renovations are sure coming a long way.

Cypherus
Jul 27, 2009, 5:51 PM
From an anonymous source, the Coliseum's ceiling is getting a major paint job and the entire interior will be painted as well. Exterior renovations will also be made, such as landscaping and improved accessibility (about time). There will also be new surfaces, such as carpet or laminate.

And several other Olympic venues will also receive paint jobs and perhaps new surfaces as well. VANOC is working hard to get all venues up to the same aesthetic standard.

The Pacific Coliseum should be quite a decent venue when all is finished. Those $20-million in renovations are sure coming a long way.

That's good news. But with only 7 months away from the Olympics, time management is a virtue.

mrjauk
Jul 27, 2009, 6:18 PM
Will the Vancouver Giants' still be using the Coliseum for their home games this coming season?

vanlaw
Jul 27, 2009, 7:50 PM
Will the Vancouver Giants' still be using the Coliseum for their home games this coming season?

For the most part, yes. But when they have to be out for the Olympics, they will play at the new Langley Events Centre.

jlousa
Aug 21, 2009, 4:25 AM
Not too much of an update but it will help freshen up the look of the Coliseum.

The old chain link security gate will be removed and replaced with a much better looking iron-bar style fence. The old flag poles above the entrance will be removed, and new stadium branding signage will be placed overtop of the entrance. The renders look pretty sharp.

mr.x
Aug 21, 2009, 5:32 AM
^ lol, i can't wait to see those renders...

EastVanMark
Aug 24, 2009, 7:45 AM
The interior paint job in the coliseum is all but complete and the walls were painted baby blue. Quite fugly. A wheel chair ramp has been added to the outside of the building. Other than that, looks pretty much the same

miniaturesnickers
Aug 26, 2009, 8:00 PM
Any idea, EastVanMark, if anything will be done with the ceiling? It's half painted and looks absolutely terrible. :( I've heard conflicting info about it, so.

clooless
Aug 26, 2009, 10:16 PM
Did the coliseum get new seating?

DKaz
Aug 26, 2009, 10:38 PM
It's had new seating for awhile, I think since some figure skating event? I went to a few Giants games this year.

johnjimbc
Aug 26, 2009, 11:50 PM
So any word on the ceiling painting? I can't believe they'd leave the ceiling half-painted if it were obvious that is the case, but it would be nice to hear that for certain that they did - or are - completing painting of the entire interior ceiling.

As for the baby blue colour on the walls, I'd have to see it. When I was there for the four continent's skating several months back, the interior was looking good. However, the walls clearly needed painted. So frankly I'm glad to hear they did, even if it the colour might not be someone's first choice.

I would guess the light blue would be to tie it to the Olympic theme colours, part of the idea of having a consistent look at all the venues - new and existing.

mr.x
Aug 27, 2009, 2:41 AM
I think they would paint the ceiling, there's no way they'd leave it as is.

EastVanMark
Aug 27, 2009, 7:09 AM
I think they would paint the ceiling, there's no way they'd leave it as is.

...or so you would think....;)

MechMike
Aug 27, 2009, 8:24 AM
When I went to go watch the Super dogs show it appears that the ceiling is covered in curtains completely. The exterior is looking bad though, just needs some new paint and some lighting on each of those blocks that line the outside of it.

OffTopic:

does the PNE seem a lot slower this year or what? The booth where I work business has been slow, and I work at the busiest booth too.

miniaturesnickers
Aug 27, 2009, 2:03 PM
When I went to go watch the Super dogs show it appears that the ceiling is covered in curtains completely. The exterior is looking bad though, just needs some new paint and some lighting on each of those blocks that line the outside of it.

OffTopic:

does the PNE seem a lot slower this year or what? The booth where I work business has been slow, and I work at the busiest booth too.

Interesting! The last time I was there, which was about a week ago, there was only the one end of the ceiling that was covered (it's been that way for a year or so)... glad to hear it looks like they've started on it.

EastVanMark
Sep 1, 2009, 1:21 AM
:previous: I don't know what you guys were looking at but the ceiling has no curtains of any kind covering them. Are you guys sure it wasn't just the curtain used to block off the upper deck of seating in the building? Cause that hangs from the ceiling

EastVanMark
Sep 1, 2009, 1:25 AM
Any idea, EastVanMark, if anything will be done with the ceiling? It's half painted and looks absolutely terrible. :( I've heard conflicting info about it, so.

Let's just say I wouldn't bet the farm on it happening. And even if anything does happen, it certainly won't be anywhere near as grand as what has been rumoured on here.

johnjimbc
Sep 1, 2009, 4:11 AM
I fear you may be right, EastVanMark, although I wouldn't say wanting it to be "painted" qualifies as grandiose hopes.

People were just hoping for a fresh coat of PAINT! ;)

MechMike
Sep 1, 2009, 9:28 AM
:previous: I don't know what you guys were looking at but the ceiling has no curtains of any kind covering them. Are you guys sure it wasn't just the curtain used to block off the upper deck of seating in the building? Cause that hangs from the ceiling

I'm at the PNE everyday and I know, the whole ceiling is covered, even above all the lighting fixtures inside, I know what your talking about, as seen in the first pictures but the entire ceiling is covered.

Interesting enough I don't think they will paint during the PNE as paint fumes are horrible (it's already smokey enough in there as it is)

I'll take pictures sooner or later.

MechMike
Sep 1, 2009, 9:29 AM
double post

EastVanMark
Sep 1, 2009, 7:00 PM
I'm at the PNE everyday and I know, the whole ceiling is covered, even above all the lighting fixtures inside, I know what your talking about, as seen in the first pictures but the entire ceiling is covered.

Interesting enough I don't think they will paint during the PNE as paint fumes are horrible (it's already smokey enough in there as it is)

I'll take pictures sooner or later.

Can't wait for those pictures since I was there yesterday and it was completely uncovered. The only thing i can possibly think of is that they might have temporarily put a tarp under the ceiling since the roof that was re-done recently started leaking. The company that fixed the roof were called back to repair it and only finished the work the other day.

johnjimbc
Sep 1, 2009, 9:46 PM
Alright, since we have two people who see the Pacific Coliseum constantly (or thereabouts) and they apparently see two ENTIRELY different things, is there anyone who can post a CURRENT picture? Pretty please. ;)

This cannot be the mystery it seems to be. And if the exposed and shabby-looking ceiling can be covered and removed that quickly, why not just cover it for the Games?

What gives?

MechMike
Sep 2, 2009, 8:56 AM
Didn't go in there today or yesterday so as Mark said It could be undone, I'll take pics of the bathrooms in the morning before PNE opens to the public. shhhhhh :angel: