PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in Ottawa

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

waterloowarrior
Jun 6, 2008, 2:33 PM
the revised ottawa cycling plan (http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/ara/2008/06-12/04%20-%20ACS2008-PWS-TRF-0004.htm) is coming up for approval soon. Unfortunately it used to have a lot more infrastructure, but Council did not want to spend $125 million over 20 years (despite the billions going to be spent on roads and transit), so the plan has been cut to $25.7 million for the first 10 years, $60 million for 10-20 years and beyond...

here's the PDF of the plan (http://ottawa.ca/residents/onthemove/cycling/plan_2008_en.pdf)

Kitchissippi
Jun 9, 2008, 8:54 PM
I'm rather disappointed to see what is happening on Albert Street through LeBreton Flats. This section is such an important commuter cycling route, but I noticed that they are not putting bike lanes despite having ripped up the curb and rebuilt half the street. I was under the impression that when streets on the network are touched, cycling facilities must be put in place. Albert Street has been in the cycling plan way back from the time of the RMOC.

Also there has been a convention that streets on the network should have weir type storm drains instead of grates that can cause problems for cyclists. Again, I see brand new grates were placed on Albert. When is the city going to get its act together?

To make things worse it seems they are putting what looks like a multi-use pathway beside Albert which morphs into the sidewalk at intersections and runs right in front of bus stop shelters. This is such a dangerous combination, and complicates enforcing rules against sidewalk cycling.

waterloowarrior
Sep 18, 2008, 4:37 AM
Ottawa, Gatineau consider Paris bike-sharing system
NCC takes part in plan to provide alternative to cars

Dave Rogers
Ottawa Citizen

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

OTTAWA-The National Capital Commission and the cities of Ottawa and Gatineau are considering a public shared bicycle network similar to systems used in Paris and other cities to encourage commuters to leave their cars at home.

Marie Lemay, the chief executive officer of the commission, said Wednesday the NCC became interested in a public bicycle network when Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon described the Vélib' (bike freedom in French) system in Paris.

A proposal for a pilot project in downtown Ottawa and Gatineau is to be discussed at a meeting between officials from Ottawa, Gatineau and the NCC on Monday.

"I first heard about this when Mr. Cannon came back from Paris and asked to meet the mayors of Ottawa and Gatineau and myself," Ms. Lemay said. "The three of us are pretty excited by the idea and it is on the agenda during a tripartite meeting next week.

"There will be about 400 bikes in Montreal next spring and I noticed when I was in Washington, D.C., for three days that they have them there. The idea is to replace cars when you move from one place to another."

Ms. Lemay said commuters could swipe user cards to pick up bicycles at a network of stations and leave the bikes at the station closest to their destination. The bikes would probably be free for a short period, but cost money afterward to encourage commuters to use them briefly instead of renting them for a day or more.

"The idea of the NCC being involved is for the bike system to operate in Ottawa and Gatineau," Ms. Lemay said.

"If it works, the system would be in the core of both cities at the beginning, but there would be nothing to prevent Ottawa or Gatineau from expanding it."

The City of Gatineau has signed an agreement with a Quebec City non-profit transportation group to study the use of buses, public bicycles and shared cars as alternatives to private vehicles.

Gatineau and its bus company, the Société de transport de l'Outaouais, will each contribute $15,000 to a transportation study in Gatineau and Ottawa that is to be completed by 2010.

Pascal Laliberté, director of the transportation planning group Vivre en Ville, said the study could recommend a public bicycle system with bikes available at stations throughout the city, similar to public bicycle networks in Paris, Lyon and Barcelona.

Mr. Laliberté said the transportation study will include both sides of the Ottawa River because many people commute to work between Quebec and Ontario. He said commuters should be offered competing alternatives to private cars including carpools, car sharing, cycling and public transit to convince as many people as possible to leave their cars at home.

The Vélib' public bicycle network in Paris already has more than 20,000 unisex bicycles for rent at 750 self-serve stations. Lyons has 340 Vélov stations and 4,000 bicycles for hire. Montreal is planning to open a network of 300 stations with 2,400 rental bicycles in the spring of 2009.

Mr. Laliberté said Vivre en Ville will conduct a transportation demand survey to determine where commuters want to go and what transportation services are available.

"We want the study to determine the needs of employers, what services are available from public transit and car-sharing companies and what the need is for more bicycle paths," Mr. Laliberté said. "Two thirds of all trips are by commuters who are going to work and we have to offer alternatives to encourage these people to leave their cars at home.

"Cars produce a lot of pollution and many households can't afford them because of the increase in the price of gas. The use of private cars leaves Quebec with an annual balance-of-payments deficit of $20 billion because we don't produce cars or oil and have to import them from elsewhere."

Gatineau spokesman, Alain d'Entremont said a joint transportation study involving Ottawa, Gatineau and the NCC would cost about $275,000, with most of the money coming from Transport Canada.

Mr. d'Entremont said Gatineau and Ottawa could establish a public bicycle network because such systems have proved effective in Europe.

© Ottawa Citizen 2008

harls
Sep 18, 2008, 3:45 PM
I've yet to ride my bike to work from Aylmer (a little too far, or I'm just too out of shape)... anyway, I should really take advantage of that path.. I can make it all the way to Wellington/Portage before I have to negotiate that steep hill and traffic on Bay Street (Bay has a bike lane NB, however.)

waterloowarrior
Feb 3, 2009, 11:34 PM
Trial run for bike-sharing program planned for this summer

BY BRENDAN KENNEDY, THE OTTAWA CITIZENFEBRUARY 3, 2009 6:21 PM

OTTAWA — A pilot bike-renting program is to run this summer in the National Capital Region, say the National Capital Commission and the cities of Ottawa and Gatineau.

Such a service, which has become a popular public-transit alternative in several European and American cities, allows people to rent bicycles by the hour from several locations in a city’s downtown.

This summer’s project aims to pave the way for a permanent bike-sharing service in 2010, the commission said. “This project lays the groundwork for a broader, progressive initiative that will see both residents and visitors in Canada’s Capital Region travelling in an environmentally friendly way, at little cost,” said Marie Lemay, chief executive of the NCC, in a written statement.

A spokeswoman for the commission said the details of the trial project have not yet been determined, but a feasibility study is about to begin to establish the launch date, costs, rental locations and how the service will operate.

“We’d like to launch 45 to 50 bikes in the coming biking season,” said spokeswoman Kathryn Keyes.

Montreal is planning to launch a bike-share program in the spring. Toronto’s bike-share service operated between 2001 and 2007, but was stopped due to a lack of funding. Similar services run in New York City, Portland, Paris and Barcelona, and programs are about to launch in San Francisco and Denver.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

waterloowarrior
Feb 3, 2009, 11:37 PM
Public Consultation: CITÉ-DES-JEUNES PATHWAY (http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/ncc_web_content_page.asp?cid=16300-20448-115945&lang=1&bhcp=1)

waterloowarrior
May 13, 2009, 12:25 AM
http://www.clivedoucet.com/2009_photos_graphics/Go-Bike-invitation-final.jpg (http://www.clivedoucet.com/2009_photos_graphics/Go%20Bike%20invitation%20final.pdf)

highdensitysprawl
May 13, 2009, 1:42 AM
I've yet to ride my bike to work from Aylmer (a little too far, or I'm just too out of shape)... anyway, I should really take advantage of that path.. I can make it all the way to Wellington/Portage before I have to negotiate that steep hill and traffic on Bay Street (Bay has a bike lane NB, however.)

My kids love riding with me along the Ottawa River Pkwy, and then east on the QC side to that Dairy Queen on 148. The path on the QC side leading to Aylmer is quite nice and full of rollerbladers many of whom are quite toned.:cheers:

Dado
Jun 3, 2009, 1:28 AM
"Another meeting will be held this summer to present the findings of the report and further the creation of the cycling lobby group."

Did anyone here go to this? Does anyone else find the notion of creating a "cycling lobby group" a tad silly when we already have Citizens for Safe Cycling (http://www.safecycling.ca) for that purpose, and, to a lesser extent, the Ottawa Bicycle Club (http://www.ottawabicycleclub.ca)? I know that CfSC has frequently been involved in lobbying efforts, but to little avail. Had these scores of cyclists actually joined the organization that already exists rather than following an MP around we might get a bit further...

Avid cyclists consider lobby group

Summit looks to put bikes back on agenda

BY VITO PILIECI, THE OTTAWA CITIZEN MAY 31, 2009
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Travel/Avid+cyclists+consider+lobby+group/1648109/story.html

More than 100 avid cyclists descended on a Bank Street church Saturday to discuss the creation of a lobby group to represent cyclists in the capital.

The meeting, facilitated by Ottawa Centre MP Paul Dewar, was scheduled after cyclists showed a groundswell of support for some offhand comments Dewar made at a press conference about a year ago.

At the time, the MP argued that federal infrastructure payments should allocate money specifically for bike paths and roadways used by cyclists.

Ottawa's bicycle community took the comments as a rallying cry.

"A number of people started calling and e-mailing my office about that," he said. "We decided to have this cycling summit."

Cycling enthusiasts met at St. Giles Presbyterian Church for four hours to brainstorm ideas and outline priorities that bicycle lovers want to see addressed. Among those in attendance was Somerset Ward councillor Diane Holmes, as well as officials from the National Capital Commission.

Cyclists identified potholes, awkwardly placed sewer grates and bicycle paths in dire need of repair as some of their top concerns. It was also decided that a cyclist-specific lobby group should be formed to draw attention to cyclists' issues come budget-deliberation time at city hall.

While he is happy to have gotten the ball rolling on the cycling initiative, Dewar said, he wants no part of the group in the longer term.

"It's not going to be Paul Dewar doing it myself; this has to be a community initiative," he said. "We've got two goals, and those are improving cycling for commuters as well as for cycle tourism."

Dewar said newly revamped cycling paths in the Niagara region are drawing bicycling enthusiasts there by the hundreds. He said VIA Rail has even set up a service to the region that allows people to take their bicycles on the train.

The City of Ottawa presented a draft plan in 2003 that was to have put a focus on cycling over a 20-year period, beginning in 2005. The draft plan, which called for more bike lanes and $124.7 million in spending over two decades, set a goal of nearly tripling the number of cycling trips taken. That plan has largely been discarded.

Dewar argues that the city and the NCC should do more to promote cycling.

He said he believes the $4.5 million the city has asked the federal government for, as part of the Conservatives' infrastructure plan, is a good start.

"We were the envy of the continent when we built our bike paths back in the 1970s," Dewar said. "Cycling is not an extra. It's a cornerstone."

Staff from Dewar's office will now read through the material that came out of the summit and prepare a report for politicians.

Another meeting will be held this summer to present the findings of the report and further the creation of the cycling lobby group.

osbort
Jun 3, 2009, 2:06 AM
It would be great if they fixed the potholes and sewer grates- those are extremely dangerous for anyone who enjoys cycling. Also irritating/dangerous/bad for your bike/bad for your bathingsuit area are the huge bumps that one has to go over everytime bike paths cross roads or parking lot entrances.

harls
Jun 3, 2009, 7:19 PM
Anyone hear about the new path in Gatineau they're supposed to build? It will link the Plateau area with the Ottawa River, in phases..

http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/ncc_web_content_page.asp?cid=16300-20448-120845&lang=1

http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/data/2/rec_docs/19934_Summary_Champlain_Corridor_Pathway.pdf

Map:
http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/data/2/rec_docs/20194_Corridor%20Champlain%20concept.pdf

waterloowarrior
Jun 8, 2009, 9:32 PM
http://ottawa-gatineau.bixi.com/design/gen/images/layout/logo_white_og.png
Bixi Ottawa-Gatineau (bike share program)
(http://ottawa-gatineau.bixi.com/home)

Bike Share Trial Run in Ottawa-Gatineau
Ottawa-Gatineau is conducting a feasibility study on establishing a bike share system in Canada's Capital Region. Give it a try and let us know what you think!

Quick facts
50 bikes
4 stations: near the Château Laurier, in the ByWard Market, at the Canadian Museum of Civilization (across from the Maison du Citoyen) and in Vieux Hull
Available 7 am to 10 pm, seven days a week, from June until mid-September

http://ottawa-gatineau.bixi.com/design/en/images/section/fees/grille.jpg

http://ottawa-gatineau.bixi.com/design/en/images/section/stations/xog_carte.jpg

Kitchissippi
Jun 9, 2009, 12:48 AM
That fee structure is a bit confusing. Does it mean it will cost you $13.50 if you took the bike out for 2 hours?

However, in the website it states "The bike share system was created for short trips: usage fees encourage frequent use for periods of 30 minutes or less. To get rolling, you first have to acquire a 24-hour access to use the service. For every trip, the first 30 minutes are always free!". I would read that as if i took out a bike multiple times on the same day on short trips just under 30 minutes, I would only pay $3 even though your total day use is more than two hours.

Rathgrith
Jun 9, 2009, 12:50 AM
That's nice, but until Ottawa (and the NCC) install more Montreal bike ROW on streets, this program is not going far.

waterloowarrior
Jun 9, 2009, 12:58 AM
That's nice, but until Ottawa (and the NCC) install more Montreal bike ROW on streets, this program is not going far.

Especially in the downtown... the parkways and other paths are great, but are tourists, young families, etc really going to want to bike on streets like Wellington, Rideau, Elgin or Sussex etc?

edit: and even the bike paths have issues... like Colonel By path just sort of ending, the narrowness of the paths (especially Colonel By!), and the lack of good pedestrian/cyclist crossings/signals over some of the adjacent roads. Pedestrians and cyclists shouldn't have to be good at Frogger to get to the paths or travel between paths.

There's also issues of priority... there a sign for cyclists to stop here (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=rk7hxt8psjw6&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=32826018&where1=ottawa%2C%20on&encType=1) for example... in other places the cyclist would have priority and a motorist would yield to any pedestrians or cyclists before turning across the path, or at least the design would be better for all users.

waterloowarrior
Jun 9, 2009, 3:03 AM
A bicycle built for sharing
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/bicycle+built+sharing/1675718/story.html
All eyes are on a pilot project designed to promote green travel downtown

BY CASSANDRA DRUDI, THE OTTAWA CITIZENJUNE 8, 2009 10:56 PM

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/www.ottawacitizen.com/bicycle+built+sharing/1675718/1675721.bin?size=620x400

Cassandra Drudi tests the NCC's new pilot project of a bike-sharing system.
Photograph by: Jean Levac, The Ottawa Citizen

OTTAWA — I’m cycling east on Rue Laurier in Gatineau, coming up to the light at Rue Elisabeth-Bruyère when a young woman crossing the street spots me on my silver bike.

“How does it ride?” she asks, after taking her headphones out.

I’ve been on this step-through commuter for about two minutes, having just picked it up at a bike-share station by the Museum of Civilization. I’ve only just figured out that the gears change with a grip-shifter on the right handlebar.

An authoritative answer on my part right now seems a bit premature.

“Not bad,” I say. “It’s pretty good.”

“Interesting,” she says, then thanks me before popping the bud back in her right ear and continuing on her way.

I pick up my pace and continue east, turning right to cross the river at the Alexandra Bridge, the wooden slats of its bicycle and pedestrian crossing rattling under the wide tires as I make my way from one province, and one bike-share station, to another.

It’s not exactly usual for someone to stop and ask me how my bike rides. But the silver step-through commuter I was riding Monday is not exactly a usual bike.

It’s called a Bixi, and is one of a fleet of 50 bikes available for public use through a trial bike-share program the NCC is running in conjunction with the cities of Ottawa and Gatineau.

The trial run, which started Monday and runs until the end of September, is part of a feasibility study for a permanent program that could start in 2010 and is designed to promote green methods of travel within the urban core.

As well as the bike-share station at Laurier and Victoria streets in Gatineau, there are stations at Promenade du Portage and Laval Street in Gatineau, Sussex Drive and York Street and Elgin Street and Lawrence Freiman Lane, near the National Arts Centre, where users can pick up and return their rides.

The bikes are utilitarian commuters, with a step-through frame that could accommodate a full skirt, and a wire basket in front of the handlebars that fit my laptop bag without a problem. A sturdy elastic holds bags in place, and the extra weight on the front had no noticeable effect on the steering.

It’s a solidly-framed bike with three mid-level gears up to the task of running errands in the city or pedalling along pathways at a respectable pace.

Outfitted with a bell and flashing front and back lights powered by pedalling, the only safety item missing is a helmet.

The bikes that have just hit the streets are the same as those on offer in Montreal, which launched its bike-share program in May. By June 7, the service was expected to have 3,000 bikes at 300 stations. Over the first 16 days, about 26,000 trips were taken using the system. In late May, about 100 new monthly subscribers were joining daily, and 2,200 people had signed up for monthly ($28) or annual ($78) subscriptions.

The Bixi was inspired by similar systems in France. Vélib, the Paris bike-share system, started in July 2007 and clocked one million rentals in its first 18 days. It has a citywide fleet of 20,000 bikes docked in 1,450 stations.

Although much used, the bikes have also fallen prey to vandals, with more than 7,500 bikes stolen and more than 11,500 damaged since the program launched.

It’s too soon to guess what kind of use the 50 bikes in the trial run will see. I can say that three people rented bikes from the Elgin station as I was returning mine, and most pedestrians slowed to take a good look at them.

I took the Bixi out three times for a grand total of $3 — the fee for access to the bikes for 24 hours. I rode from the Museum of Civilization to the NAC. After returning the bike and taking it out again to test- drive the basket, I rode from the NAC along the canal to Pretoria Bridge and back.

I tried unsuccessfully to print a receipt, and was only able to find out how much I’d spent after calling the customer service number.

Just as with the Montreal and Paris programs, the first 30 minutes of riding is free. After that, the cost rises rather quickly: the second 30 minutes is an additional $1.50, $3 for the third, and $6 for the fourth and each subsequent 30-minute block.

If you’re taking the bicycle out for a quick jaunt, you’re not likely to exceed the first free half-hour. Theoretically, you could take a Bixi out for any number of errands over the course of a day and have your wallet only $3 lighter by the end of it.

The results of the feasibility study are expected in the fall. While the trial run is under way, users are encouraged to submit their feedback online at www.ottawa-gatineau.

bixi.com.

How to rent a bike

1. Go to one of the four bicycle-share stations, located at Laurier and Victoria streets in Gatineau (near the Museum of Civilization), Promenade du Portage and Laval Street in Gatineau, Elgin and and Lawrence Freiman Lane (right by the NAC), and York and Sussex in the ByWard Market area.

2. Approach the pay station, credit card at the ready.

3. Follow the prompts that take you through 47 screens worth of terms and conditions. Touch the checkmark icon to say you agree.

4. Swipe your credit card.

5. If this works — and don’t make the mistake of leaving your credit card in the machine, as this does not result in a successful transaction — the next screen will read: “Code to unlock bike: print or view.”

6. If you choose print, you get a paper copy of the five-digit code that releases a bicycle from the station of your choosing. If you choose view, you have to remember the number.

7. Go ahead and choose a bicycle. Enter the five-digit code on the keypad to the left of the front wheel.

8. When the light above the keypad turns green, the bike is ready for release. Pull the bicycle out assertively and you’re ready to roll.

What it costs

• $3 for 24-hour access to the Bixi system, subject to the hours of the bike stations, which are open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

• The first 30 minutes of riding is free.

• The second half-hour is an additional $1.50

• The third half-hour is an additional $3

• The fourth and any subsequent 30-minute blocks cost an additional $6

Dado
Jun 9, 2009, 5:00 AM
http://ottawa-gatineau.bixi.com/design/en/images/section/stations/xog_carte.jpg

I wonder what the Americans think of having a bicycle rental station next to their embassy. I mean, that's got to be a security threat, or something.

It's also amusing that the helmets are nowhere near the bicycle rentals. What if someone gets smucked on the way? It figures there'd be a helmet rental - but not a bicycle rental - at the NCC InfoCentre. Imagine the scene:

Tourists - let's same from the Netherlands - make their way to Parliament Hill (after an appalling ride on the #97, but I digress). After visiting Parliament Hill they wander across Wellington to the InfoCentre to find out what to do next. They decide to visit the Museum of Civilization. They also find out that Ottawa has a bicycle program from the staff. Unfortunately, they find out that they have to first walk to the NAC to get the nearest depot. As they're leaving, the helpful attendant calls to them and advises that they can rent helmets here. The Dutchmen respond, puzzled:

"What would we need them for?"

Kitchissippi
Jun 9, 2009, 12:14 PM
I guess this is just a trial run, but ideally for this to work well for tourists there would be a station at every museum. The attractions that are off the beaten path such as the Museum of Nature or Aviation could really benefit from this.

Apparently in Montreal there's a bit of a problem in many stations emptying fast and others filling up with no room left to store in-coming bikes. Ah, the issues with self-powered PAT :)

Rathgrith
Jun 9, 2009, 3:16 PM
Sharing bike helmets = bad idea. You thought swine flu could spread fast, just wait until head lice starts jumping from head to head. Maybe that's just me being paranoid...

As for the lack of bikes, I also saw that in Montreal last week, but couldn't they just pay a summer student to ride a bike back to the station.

Anyways, this is what I am talking about when I want to see some dedicated routes (ROW) like this in Montreal:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/220/505041731_56378b6c10.jpg
Luton (http://www.flickr.com/photos/luton/505041731/)
Adding stoplights will force cyclists to obey traffic laws and now drat between moving cars.

harls
Jun 9, 2009, 3:42 PM
There's some sort of bike-sharing stand outside of the Minto Suites on Lyon. That's not part of this trial, is it? Looks more like the hotel's own bikes.

Kitchissippi
Jun 9, 2009, 4:12 PM
nyways, this is what I am talking about when I want to see some dedicated routes (ROW) like this in Montreal:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/220/505041731_56378b6c10.jpg
Luton (http://www.flickr.com/photos/luton/505041731/)

This is what I hope will happen on either Albert or Slater when the transit tunnel is resolved. This concept of a two-way bike boulevard is a bit trickier to implement on downtown Ottawa's one-way streets, however, since crossing traffic would tend to look only one way, increasing the possibility of collisions. One-way bike boulevards on the left-most lanes of both Albert and Slater would work well though, and integrate well with the left side bike lanes on the Mackenzie King bridge. I wish this city would have enough guts to do this right now, and simply remove the on street parking there.

Dado
Jun 9, 2009, 6:08 PM
I'm not convinced by these two-way bike boulevards on one side of a road, especially a two-way road. If you're cycling in the 'wrong' direction and approach an intersection in which someone in a car is heading in the same direction is making a left-turn, they're not going to see you and you might not see them either. It's the same problem as cycling the wrong way, either on the road or the sidewalk.

Another thing is that they're likely to fill up with snow and ice in the winter and not be cleared either at all or in a timely fashion.

I actually rather like the idea of left-side cycling lanes on one-way roads and roads with medians. The fact of being on the left makes you more visible and, moreover, with all these strange-designed curvy cars in which drivers now have no idea where the right side of it is anymore, far less likely to be hit from behind since you're next to the driver. The practical difficulty is in getting to them in the first place since it would always involving crossing over same direction traffic (from the right side of a lane to the left) on a regular road near an intersection.

Kitchissippi
Jun 9, 2009, 7:35 PM
I was thinking a mid-grade between sidewalk and roadway could work well downtown so there is proper definition:
http://www.worldchanging.com/local/seattle/IMG_0199-bike-lane_1.jpg from worldchanging.com

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/moved/buffered_bike_lane3.jpg

In terms of snow clearing, all it really takes is a commitment from the city to clear the sidewalks and bike lanes properly -- they do this in a lot of cycle-progressive cities like Boulder CO

waterloowarrior
Jun 10, 2009, 1:04 AM
Suburban arterials could also use the bi-directional paths with signals, instead of bikelanes + sidewalks on high speed roads, or multi-use paths where you are supposed to walk to cross at each intersection.

here's an example from an English cycling blog (http://hembrow.blogspot.com/2009/04/tale-of-three-traffic-lights.html) in the NL (the context is re: traffic lights)

9K4-wMOhvVI

waterloowarrior
Jun 11, 2009, 10:47 PM
I tried Bixi today... it was easy to use. It's great for going out at lunch (just for a ride or for an errand)

Dado
Jun 12, 2009, 12:37 AM
Suburban arterials could also use the bi-directional paths with signals,

It can work if the signals control against conflicting movements. This is what is done in Edmonton and Calgary for LRT that run alongside roads. But that's the key: the separate signalling must be in place, otherwise it's equivalent to the dangers of wrong-way riding.

If they do build these things, they should make them wide enough that a pick-up truck with a snowplow can operate along them for snow clearing (it would probably be best to clear in the same direction as the traffic in the nearest lanes). Cycling infrastructure should not be placing additional demands on the existing fleet of sidewalk plows. Using pick-up truck plows means that the cycleways should be able to be cleared quickly due to the large fleet of such vehicles in public and especially private use.

instead of bikelanes + sidewalks on high speed roads, or multi-use paths where you are supposed to walk to cross at each intersection.

Those are actually illegal. Any engineer who puts one of those up is violating the law since one can't go around designing facilities for vehicles (bicycles) that direct a vehicle to cross or enter another road within the confines of a crosswalk. There's no way to legally operate a vehicle (i.e. by staying on one's bike) using a facility designed in that way. There is also no legality to signs that require cyclists to dismount since there is no law that permits the government to require the operator of a vehicle to dismount said vehicle and push it across a road.

Rathgrith
Jun 12, 2009, 3:03 PM
I tried Bixi today... it was easy to use. It's great for going out at lunch (just for a ride or for an errand) since the first half hour is free.

Don't you have to pay a deposit?

Kitchissippi
Jun 12, 2009, 3:14 PM
$3 access fee, but technically there is a pre-authorized amount of $250 on your credit card for 24 hours.

waterloowarrior
Jun 12, 2009, 10:12 PM
^ Thanks for the clarification Kitchissipi (sorry for the confusion) yes, it's $3 per day as the base fee and trips under half hour are free ... for me basically the same price as a spontaneous bus trip and cheaper than moving the car from an all-day lot. they had someone doing a survey asking about prices, usage etc for the real deal.

rodionx
Jun 13, 2009, 12:29 AM
Saw the bike rack on Sussex today. Nice looking bikes, but they are in a rather bike-unfriendly locale. Casual users might be scared off by the dodgy traffic around there.

Kitchissippi
Jun 13, 2009, 1:56 AM
If they decide to get serious about this next year, we need to get rid of some on-street parking and have some decent bike lanes downtown. They could even be seasonal bike lanes, say from April/May to September/August when bicycle commuting really spikes, then return them to parking lanes in the winter. I figure we could lose a couple of hundred spots to make room for a couple thousand cyclists.

It's actually quite remarkable how much of an effect cycling has during nice days. Traffic on the roads is lighter, and there is a lot more room on the buses.

Radster
Jun 15, 2009, 8:04 PM
If they decide to get serious about this next year, we need to get rid of some on-street parking and have some decent bike lanes downtown. They could even be seasonal bike lanes, say from April/May to September/August when bicycle commuting really spikes, then return them to parking lanes in the winter. I figure we could lose a couple of hundred spots to make room for a couple thousand cyclists.

It's actually quite remarkable how much of an effect cycling has during nice days. Traffic on the roads is lighter, and there is a lot more room on the buses.

Exactly, they will have to do what Montreal did over the last few years. I was just in MTL on the weekend, staying with friends close to Marche Jean Talon. Previously I would take my car or metro everywhere when in Montreal, but this time I parked my car by my friend's place for the entire weekend and just used the BIXIs. So for the first time ever, I discovered how amazing Montreal's bike system is! The on-street bike paths even have their own traffic lights at many intersections (similar to Amsterdam). The amount of people biking in Montreal is crazy! From the few locals I talked to, they all said that Montreal needs more bike paths, which I found funny, because they are already light years ahead of Ottawa. While Ottawa has many bike paths, they are often more of a scenic nature and not too effective for a commuter who is trying to make good time. Montreal's bike paths however, get you from point A to B to C to D very quickly! Really, all it takes is a little effort to analyze which streets would be best suited for seasonal bike paths, and just DO IT. Designate a couple East-West, North South streets in the core for bike paths, provided they are wide enough to retain car traffic and parking, add some traffic lights for the bike lanes, install BIXI stations at each intersection along these streets and voila, you got less cars on the road! Montreal only started the BIXIs this year, and already have 300 stations and 3,000 BIXIs! And they are available 24hrs a day! Screw taking a cab from the bar, just take a BIXI, hehehe. Granted, Montreal was better prepared for their implementation, thanks to all the on-street bike paths which were already in place.

Maybe one day, Ottawa-Gatineau will have a similar density of BIXIs and stations as this :

http://www.bixi.com/the-stations

I see this week they started a trial in Vancouver for the BIXIs.

umbria27
Jun 19, 2009, 6:46 PM
Hey Kitchissippi,
Now those are bike lanes! Somehow I don't feel protected by the painted white line. Those are very European streetscapes, but it's a great model for Ottawa intensification. It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other (highrises or single family). Mid height buildings densify just as well and encourage people to actually get out on the street.
Imagine the streets in Ottawa that could look like those picture, Carling, Bronson, Montreal Rd....
Interesting too how there's on street parking in both those pictures with the parked cars actually providing a barrier between cyclists and other traffic.

Radster
Jun 23, 2009, 6:25 PM
No need to look so far for examples. Check this pic of a Montreal bike path :
http://ebent.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/167108z.jpg

This could be easily implemented in Ottawa/Gatineau too, as there are quite a few streets around downtown with available extra space for such bike paths. But for this to work, these bike paths would need to have their own designated traffic signals at the bigger intersections, like in Montreal.

Radster
Jun 23, 2009, 6:29 PM
Another Montreal example. Notice the traffic lights, one for the cars, one for the bike lane, one for the pedestrians.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/autoracing/c%C3%B4te+neiges+adding+kilometres+bike+routes/1644336/1495253.bin?size=620x400

waterloowarrior
Jun 23, 2009, 10:00 PM
Public Consultation: Greenbelt Pathway, Bruce Pit Section (http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/ncc_web_content_page.asp?cid=16300-20448-122566&lang=1)
The proposed 56-kilometre Greenbelt Pathway is designed to provide a continuous and varied recreational and educational experience along the complete length of the National Capital Greenbelt, from Shirleys Bay in the west to Green’s Creek in the east. The pathway will connect many attractions, and link with other pathways within the National Capital Region.

To date, 21.5 kilometres of the Greenbelt Pathway have been completed. The next section of pathway proposed to be completed is a 1.4-kilometre pathway link between Hunt Club Road and Bruce Pit (east of Cedarview Road), via Siskin Court.

The goal of this project is to provide a cost-effective, environmentally and socially responsible route for the proposed three-metre-wide stone dust pathway, which will showcase the natural features and rural character of the Bruce Pit area, while providing a link between Cedarview Road and Hunt Club Road.

As indicated below, the proposed alignment for the pathway will be at least 30 metres from houses, and will primarily follow existing informal trails, thereby minimizing the impact on the natural environment. Very few trees will have to be removed; a thorough study was done to ensure that mature healthy trees will be safeguarded, while smaller, sick or dead specimens will be removed.

We would very much like to hear your comments. Please contact us before June 30, 2009.

Email: info@ncc-ccn.ca

National Capital Commission
Public Consultations and Community Relations
202–40 Elgin Street
Ottawa ON K1P 1C7

Tel.: 613-239-5000
TTY: 613-239-5090

Related Link:

Map of the proposed pathway (pdf - 1.3 Mb) (http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/data/2/rec_docs/20414_BrucePitPanelFinal.pdf)

Rathgrith
Jun 24, 2009, 12:35 AM
Public Consultation: Greenbelt Pathway, Bruce Pit Section (http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/ncc_web_content_page.asp?cid=16300-20448-122566&lang=1)
The proposed 56-kilometre Greenbelt Pathway is designed to provide a continuous and varied recreational and educational experience along the complete length of the National Capital Greenbelt, from Shirleys Bay in the west to Green’s Creek in the east. The pathway will connect many attractions, and link with other pathways within the National Capital Region.

To date, 21.5 kilometres of the Greenbelt Pathway have been completed. The next section of pathway proposed to be completed is a 1.4-kilometre pathway link between Hunt Club Road and Bruce Pit (east of Cedarview Road), via Siskin Court.

The goal of this project is to provide a cost-effective, environmentally and socially responsible route for the proposed three-metre-wide stone dust pathway, which will showcase the natural features and rural character of the Bruce Pit area, while providing a link between Cedarview Road and Hunt Club Road.

As indicated below, the proposed alignment for the pathway will be at least 30 metres from houses, and will primarily follow existing informal trails, thereby minimizing the impact on the natural environment. Very few trees will have to be removed; a thorough study was done to ensure that mature healthy trees will be safeguarded, while smaller, sick or dead specimens will be removed.

We would very much like to hear your comments. Please contact us before June 30, 2009.

Email: info@ncc-ccn.ca

National Capital Commission
Public Consultations and Community Relations
202–40 Elgin Street
Ottawa ON K1P 1C7

Tel.: 613-239-5000
TTY: 613-239-5090

Related Link:

Map of the proposed pathway (pdf - 1.3 Mb) (http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/data/2/rec_docs/20414_BrucePitPanelFinal.pdf)
I love how the NCC uses these descriptions and adjectives to highlight their push for the environment enough through they just had a 4 lane highway build through the south end of Gatineau Park.

Dado
Jun 24, 2009, 2:43 AM
Agreed.

I think it's great that the NCC is building this path, and using existing informal paths where possible is eminently sensible, but as you point out the irony is dripping. I mean wow... we saved a few big trees to build a recreation path. How many trees got wiped out for the Limebank Rd widening that the NCC sold land to the City for?

If I were really really cynical, I might point out that the NCC wouldn't want to remove many big trees anyway to build a path because they wouldn't be able to get the big equipment in to do it efficiently and inexpensively. Basically you wouldn't want to use anything bigger than a large chassis pick-up truck with added dumping capability along with Bobcats and mini-backhoes. Go bigger than that and the cutting has to be enlarged and the strength of bridges increased. :D

waterloowarrior
Jun 24, 2009, 5:33 AM
Ottawa Morning CBC story audio on cycling on Ottawa roadways (http://cbc.ca/ottawa/media/audio/ottawamorning/20090623biking.ram).. another story tomorrow morning

p_xavier
Jun 24, 2009, 5:14 PM
Ottawa Morning CBC story audio on cycling on Ottawa roadways (http://cbc.ca/ottawa/media/audio/ottawamorning/20090623biking.ram).. another story tomorrow morning

Guess not only the forumers think Montréal is better for cyclists:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/06/24/ottawa-cyclists-paths-montreal.html

Rathgrith
Jun 24, 2009, 11:13 PM
^I think someone from the CBC is reading this forum...

Radster
Jun 25, 2009, 3:53 PM
anyone have an idea where this petition mentioned in the CBC article can be found?

waterloowarrior
Jun 25, 2009, 9:51 PM
anyone have an idea where this petition mentioned in the CBC article can be found?

http://www.cyclingvisionottawa.org/

waterloowarrior
Jul 21, 2009, 10:18 PM
Bixi

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2676/3744324734_b5bc025ed1_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2634/3744326466_ca1e4c1d0c_b.jpg

Admiral Nelson
Jul 22, 2009, 3:20 AM
While we're on the subject...

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/3691/img1119editedu.jpg

Zach6668
Jul 22, 2009, 6:16 AM
What's the deal with these things? How much do they cost? I see them in the market here whenever I leave the house.

edit - nevermind, I read back over posts I missed. :D

waterloowarrior
Aug 9, 2009, 3:25 AM
here's our own version of the segregated lanes...

from daveherb flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveherb/3798660474/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2558/3798660474_8cec1df605_o.jpg

waterloowarrior
Aug 13, 2009, 2:54 AM
Does anyone else find this sign a little silly... (just below the Hill)
source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cagliostro/3813058708/sizes/m/
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/3813058708_39b53d3438.jpg

Of course it is important to slow down, not pass, etc in the tunnel, but most people can just duck! :p it's not that dangerous..
Maybe there is a reason, or is it just a liability thing... anyone know?

waterloowarrior
Aug 13, 2009, 3:10 AM
Twinning crowded NCC pathways ‘the way to go,’ Dewar says
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Twinning+crowded+pathways+Dewar+says/1886591/story.html
No plans, at this time, to separate cyclists from slower moving traffic: commission

BY CASSANDRA DRUDI, THE OTTAWA CITIZENAUGUST 12, 2009 11:01 PM

OTTAWA-The NCC’s crowded recreational pathways should be twinned to separate faster-moving wheeled traffic from pedestrians, says Ottawa Centre NDP MP Paul Dewar.

“Clearly, this is the way to go,” he said in Wednesday. “Pedestrians do have concerns about bikes. And people who are travelling on the bike paths decide sometimes to go on the roadway.”

“We’re using our bike paths more and more, and we have to increase capacity, but we can’t forget about who uses it.”

Dewar, who held a cycling summit in May, released a report last week that recommended ways to improve cycling in the city of Ottawa. It proposed improvement in four main areas: treating cycling as an integral part of the city’s overall transit plan; educating cyclists and motorists; linking the suburbs to the core for cyclists; and maintaining cycling facilities year-round.

Concern about the use of the pathways, which have a suggested speed limit of 20 km/h, is bubbling to the surface during a summer in which cycling safety has been under scrutiny after the hit-and-run incident that injured five cyclists.

Pathway users of all stripes — from dog walkers to electric bike riders to cyclists — complain of others using the routes with a sense of entitlement.

“They built it, and they came, and now the traffic (on the pathways) is even higher,” said Charles Akben-Marchand, past president of Citizens for Safe Cycling. “It’s a bit of a lawless facility.”

Despite the idea that separating pathway users on wheels from those on foot could be a solution for pathway conflicts, the commission is not, at this time, considering twinning for its system of 180 kilometres of recreational pathways , said NCC director of urban lands and transportation Marc Corriveau.

“As long as we’ve had the recreational paths, they’ve been multi-use,” he said. “Since the 1980s, there’s not really been a need to do so (separate wheeled and pedestrian traffic).

“I don’t think the issue is so bad now you need to consider that.”

From 1998 to 2008, the number of trips taken on NCC pathways in each spring and summer soared to 31 million from 17 million, according to surveys conducted for the commission.

And as the number of users rose, so too did the percentage of cyclists: in 2008, cyclists accounted for 64 per cent of pathway users, up from 56 per cent in 1998. The percentage of pedestrians dropped slightly, to 24 per cent in 2008 from 30 per cent in 1998.

The NCC does not keep track of which pathways, or which areas of pathways, are the busiest, but experience suggests the pathways along both sides of the Rideau Canal, the pathways along the Ottawa River on both sides of the river, the Rideau River pathway and the Voyageur pathway are the most used, a spokesman for the commission said.

Ottawa is not without an example of what separate cycling and pedestrian facilities could look like. The Alexandra Bridge, which crosses the Ottawa River and joins Ottawa’s St. Patrick Street to Gatineau’s St. Laurent Boulevard, has a wide wooden footbridge on its west side, with two lanes marked for cyclists (one for bikes heading to Ottawa, the other for bikes heading to Gatineau) and the rest of the space left for pedestrians.

“I think it works very well on Alexandra Bridge,” Akben-Marchand said. “A segregated pathway system would have benefits.”

It costs about $220,000 to build a one kilometre stretch of the standard, three-metre wide pathway. Because of the way its budget is structured, the NCC does not keep track of how much it costs to maintain the pathways. But Vélo Québec, a non-profit organization that oversees the Route Verte, Quebec’s vast network of bicycle paths, pegs maintenance costs of one kilometre of pathway at $3,000 a year.

If the experience in other cities is anything to go by, separating cyclists from pedestrians can work quite successfully.

In Vancouver’s Stanley Park, cyclists and pedestrians on the Seawall path around the park clashed in the 1970s, until the pathway was widened to six metres to allow for separate lanes for cyclists (and other path users on wheels) and pedestrians. The cyclist portion of the pathway is one-way, while pedestrians can travel in both directions on their section.

“It’s much superior to having it mixed,” said Arno Schortinghuis, president of the Vancouver Area Cycling Coalition.

In busier sections of the Central Valley Greenway, another recreational pathway in the region, wheeled and foot users of the pathways are separated for a total distance of about two kilometres, Schoringhuis said.

In addition to separating traffic on pathways, the city of Vancouver also has separated areas for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicular traffic in some places.

On the Burrard Bridge that joins downtown Vancouver to Kitsilano, a three-month trial is under way that gives each roadway user an area on the previously hectic bridge. One lane of the six lanes on the roadway has been designated for cycling traffic headed south, and is separated from the road by a concrete barrier. One sidewalk is designated for pedestrians only; the other is for cyclists heading north. Previously, both sidewalks had been shared by pedestrians and cyclists.

“It’s just a joy to cycle across and to walk across,” Schoringhuis said. “Separate is ideal. There’s speed differentials between pedestrians and bicycles and bicycles and cars.”

In Calgary, with more than 600 kilometres of recreational pathways within its city limits, a pathway along the river splits into separate sections for wheeled users and walkers at certain sections along the Bow River for a total distance of about one kilometre, a city spokesman said.

Along Calgary’s pathways, the speed limit (20 km/h in most areas, although it drops down to 10 km/h in some) is enforced by bylaw officers.

cdrudi@thecitizen.canwest.com

I definitely agree with the idea of widening or twinning.... after cycling and walking in other cities with wide multi-use paths Ottawa's can seem almost dangerous.. especially when they wind a bit. They are also not very good for going at a decent speed on a bike since it would be dangerous for pedestrians (that's why you will see cyclists on the parkways). But even when cycling at a slow pace or walking along the canal, I find the paths too narrow for the traffic and the amount and variety of different users.

harls
Aug 13, 2009, 3:16 AM
Does anyone else find this sign a little silly... (just below the Hill)
source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cagliostro/3813058708/sizes/m/
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/3813058708_39b53d3438.jpg

Of course it is important to slow down, not pass, etc in the tunnel, but most people can just duck! :p it's not that dangerous..
Maybe there is a reason, or is it just a liability thing... anyone know?

Of all the times I've gone through that tunnel, I've never seen anyone dismount and walk through it. In fact, it seems like it would be MORE dangerous to do this.

Reminds me of the stop signs that cyclists blow through..

Cre47
Aug 15, 2009, 12:11 AM
Hum maybe the Citizen should have done the same on roadways, they will realize that speeding motorists is the problem in this city - and the city doesn't help with those ridiculously high speed limits. Definitely a dangerous city to bike not to mention those ridiculous crackdown lately. Sure, some cyclists might not obey the law but motorists are a much bigger problem. Pedestrians also can be problematic in the city core and also in the bike paths - some leaving there dogs loose and even biking slowly you always have to watch for small kids that can suddenly veer into the path. Several years, well I was going at low speed at a park pathway, a kid with a bike veered and the collision was inevitable - luckily at less then 10 km/h.

Different speeds, different views

By Brendan Kennedy, The Ottawa CitizenAugust 14, 2009Comments (63)

People of all types use the NCC recreation path along the Ottawa River in the summer. The radar gun shows the speed of a cyclist going 28km/hour.

OTTAWA — The Citizen took to Ottawa’s cycling pathways Thursday afternoon armed with a radar gun to gauge the speeds of the city’s various walkers, runners and riders. We wanted to find out how many were obeying the unenforced 20 km/h speed limit and ask them how they think the pathways could be improved.

Stationed where the Ottawa River Pathway meets the Voyageurs Pathway, near the Champlain Bridge at Island Park Drive, the Citizen clocked a mother pushing her two-month-old daughter in a stroller at 3 km/h, a self-proclaimed cycling speedster at 36 km/h and everyone else somewhere in between.

Just about every cyclist who looked like they had somewhere to go was traveling more than 20 km/h. Only the cyclists who were clearly on a leisure ride were registering under the posted speed limit, and the cycling commuters wearing performance clothing were usually up around 30 km/h. Rollerbladers typically fell between 10 and 15 km/h, with joggers and walkers behind them.

Those interviewed by the Citizen couldn’t agree on the best ways to improve the pathways to accommodate increased traffic, but everyone said the most important way to avoid conflicts was by practicing common sense and a little courtesy.

Chris Hebert, who commutes from Aylmer to his construction job in Ottawa every day, registered the fastest speed of the day at 36 km/h — on a mountain bike.

“I personally think there should be three lanes,” he said, adding that he usually travels about 35 km/h and gets annoyed when walkers take up more than a single lane.

“If you’re slow and you don’t get outta my way, I’ll zoom right past you,” he said, laughing.

Hebert’s biggest pet peeve with the pathway is that the NCC doesn’t plow it in the winter, because he cycles every day, year-round. "Rain or shine," he said.

We clocked Bill Juillette, who commutes from his home in Westboro to his job in Sandy Hill every weekday, just under 30 km/h, a speed he says he generally travels whenever he’s on the pathway.

“I’ve never felt impeded,” Juillette said, but added that he would like to see walkers use the grass rather than the pathways. “These are paved for cyclists.”

He said the best way to avoid conflicts is through politeness and courtesy, and he doesn’t want to see another lane for slower-moving traffic.

“The last thing we need is more construction,” he said.

Danielle Fremes was pushing her two-month-old daughter, Allison, in a stroller around 2:30 p.m. She was traveling about 3 km/h, but she said even when she walks the path during busier times, she’s never had any trouble with cyclists.

“There’s a great deal of respect on this pathway,” she said.

Andrew Skafel, a jogger we clocked at 9 km/h, said he wouldn’t mind some soft gravel on the sides of the pathway to make it easier for runners. But he doesn’t want to see any twinning or widening of the path.

“I kind of like it small,” he said. “It keeps it natural.”

Robert and Sharon Singleton, from the Carp area, happened to be downtown Thursday afternoon, so they decided to go for a stroll along the pathway. At 4 km/h, they were going slow enough that we could stroll along with them.

Robert said he thought a third lane for slower traffic would be “overkill.”

“I see enough space for everyone,” he said. “As long as everybody uses a little common sense.”

Jim Elder, who has been using the pathways as both a runner and a commuting cyclist on and off since 1981, says the NCC — who makes clear on its website the pathways are for recreational use — should just accept that people are using the paths to commute and increase the speed limit to 30 km/h.

“I think that’s a reasonable, normal speed for a commuting bicycler,” he said. “They may call them recreational pathways, and that may be their intention, but that’s not how they’re being used.”

He said he’s never felt threatened as a runner by speeding cyclists, and there is no need for additional lanes as long as people are courteous when passing.

He said he likes the pathways when they’re busier — “I think it’s kind of social” — and the city should be encouraging even more commuting by bicycle.

“Facilities like this make Ottawa a great place to live,” he said.

Yroc
Aug 15, 2009, 12:31 AM
“These are paved for cyclists.”

Lol... The number one rule of the pathways is... yeild to pedestrians.

I walk and bike on the pathways quite a bit. My pet peeve has always been cyclists that expect pedestrians to move onto the grass so they can pass. I always stay in my lane when I am walking. If someone happens to be walking by me in the opposing lane, while a cyclist is trying to pass, I simply remain in my lane.

In my opinion, the cyclist should slow down. If they cannot do that, they can go off the path to pass me. In any event dinging a bell over and over is not gonna make me move. I feel doing so would put me in danger (I move and the cyclist hits me trying to go around).

Small kids that can suddenly veer into the path

Cyclists should keep this in mind when they approach pedestrians (or anyone for that matter). You never know when you might hurt someone. A lady I work with came back from lunch one day all bloodied up. A cyclist had hit her on the pathway near Riverrain park. She was hurt so bad that she had to go to the hospital (broken jaw, road rash). Had she been a little kid, I suspect it would have been much worse.

This in the news yesterday.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/08/14/ottawa-090814-cyclist-rideau-canal.html

Reading it makes me think the NCC should consider putting up a few street lights.

Cre47
Sep 20, 2009, 2:24 AM
I think it is time to complete that gap of the Ottawa River Pathway between the National Arts Gallery and Rockcliffe Park to avoid Sussex Drive and the heavy traffic though it might be difficult in part because of the PM residence and other factors.

Kitchissippi
Sep 20, 2009, 3:00 AM
There will be bike lanes on Sussex between the Mint and the Rideau River bridges when they redo that section in the near future.

However, they should extend the pathway from the Ottawa Locks around Nepean Point to connect with Lady Grey drive (which I call Ottawa's forgotten parkway) leading up to the overpass at the Macdonald Cartier bridge. That overpass is wide enough to accommodate a pathway on the north side, seeing that the roadway is actually narrowed using painted lines today. The pathway could then continue in front of Earnscliffe (the British High Commissioner's residence) and then behind the NRC headquarters to the Rideau Falls footbridges.

Richard Eade
Sep 20, 2009, 2:40 PM
Getting around the National Gallery will be the trick, although I agree that it should be done. I think a structure could be built out from the corner of the building. This would allow everyone to walk or cycle along the river. Maybe if the river is designated as 'Heritage' the NCC will work on such a path.

Kitchissippi
Sep 20, 2009, 4:11 PM
I don't think it would be that difficult. They could do a pathway-on-stilts anchored to the escarpment, much like what was done behind the convent north of Jacques Cartier Park across the river. It would sneak under the Alexandra bridge and behind the Gallery

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2646/3937786984_a8df2a848f_o.jpg

The rest of Sussex could be avoided like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3454/3937008029_17f92b2ac2_o.jpg

Yroc
Sep 21, 2009, 2:20 AM
At the same time, they should consider doing the pathway on the west side of the Rideau River connecting it up to Strathcona park.

Then from Ottawa U (Lees campus) going to toward Carleton U (path is there, just needs for the most part to become "official".

Also this is a must see:

http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/1630/Japan+Bike+Storage/

Rathgrith
Sep 21, 2009, 3:23 PM
At the same time, they should consider doing the pathway on the west side of the Rideau River connecting it up to Strathcona park.

There already is one, and its paved. (From Strathcona Park - Lees Campus anyway)

As for north of Scrathcona Park, you have to go through the Russians and the Chinese for that path to happen.

Dado
Sep 21, 2009, 10:06 PM
I think it is time to complete that gap of the Ottawa River Pathway between the National Arts Gallery and Rockcliffe Park to avoid Sussex Drive and the heavy traffic though it might be difficult in part because of the PM residence and other factors.

It would be nice, but I also don't think it would necessarily have prevented the fatality on Sussex in front of Foreign Affairs either. Routes like the one suggested by Kichissippi would add extra turns and much extra distance to the route, thereby taking longer. Also not knowing the victim's origin nor destination, it's impossible to say whether it would have been of help anyway, especially since she was coming up that odd diagonal 'path'/sidewalk in the southeast quadrant of the Sussex/King Edward crossing. She apparently went onto the road at the end of that path, but there is no curb cut there. The lack of a curb cut means that by sheer necessity her attention would be diverted from the road to getting down off the curb (these stupid chicanes used in some places to try to force cyclists to dismount suffer from the same problem, but by deliberate design, because if a chicane is to be navigable by a wheelchair then it can be navigated by a reasonably-skilled cyclist as well - at the expense of not paying attention to the road beyond). If that path is indeed intended for cyclist use, then its poor terminus goes to show the problems created by not thinking through how pathways and roads interface, which is an all too common problem given the number than end illegally in pedestrian crosswalks.

Having cycled though that part of Sussex on a few occasions, I can say it is a challenge to navigate, but I don't know if those challenges are directly related to the collision or not. The basic problems there are that it is a shared bus/bike lane and furthermore that it is a forced right-turn onto the access ramp to the MacDonald-Cartier Bridge. Choosing what to do in a shared bus lane is a problem at the best of times, but the forced right-turn further introduces a requirement to transition across at some point to the left side of the lane.

Yroc
Sep 21, 2009, 11:52 PM
Russia and China are far away.

Does anyone own the shoreline?

Dado
Sep 21, 2009, 11:59 PM
Russia and China are far away.

Does anyone own the shoreline?

Yes, Russia (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Russian+Embassy,+Ottawa&sll=45.437377,-75.695254&sspn=0.002823,0.005654&ie=UTF8&ll=45.426287,-75.657864&spn=0.043673,0.057764&t=k&z=14) and China (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Chinese+Embassy,+Ottawa&sll=45.426287,-75.657864&sspn=0.043673,0.057764&ie=UTF8&ll=45.433455,-75.671854&spn=0.043667,0.057764&t=k&z=14), hence "As for north of Scrathcona Park, you have to go through the Russians and the Chinese for that path to happen."

Yroc
Sep 22, 2009, 12:24 AM
I thought no one could own the shoreline.. Just like no one can own a lake.

I think it varies by region, but someone should know what the rules are along the Ottawa River and the Rideau River within city limits. I myself do not.

http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/planning/community_plans/completed/constance_bay/strategy/beach_en.html

acottawa
Sep 22, 2009, 12:34 AM
Doesn't look like there is much room.

http://www.canada.com/northshorenews/story.html?id=8e9c5af2-de5c-4ef0-9479-b1bf9360bddb

Kitchissippi
Sep 22, 2009, 12:37 AM
The same thing happened with the nuns adjacent to Jacques Cartier Park, they wouldn't let the pathway run through the convent and it was one of those odd things where they owned up to the Ottawa River shoreline. That's why the pathway was built on stilts on the water.

However, instead of spending money on that side of the Rideau, I would rather see a pedestrian/cycling bridge built between Somerset E and Donald Street. Not only would this be a great facility (along with the Corktown Bridge) for east end cyclists to get into the core, it would also increase the amount of walkable, affordable housing for U of O students.

Yroc
Sep 22, 2009, 1:04 AM
The bridge you speak of is on the plans or at least on one coucillors radar.

… AND A SMALL NEW BRIDGE

I believe that it is now time to advance the idea of a new pedestrian/cyclist bridge across the Rideau River linking Somerset Street East to Donald Street. This would costeffectively extend the cross-town link created by the opening, a couple of years ago, of the pedestrian bridge across the Canal at Somerset.

Pedestrians and cyclists must at present choose between Cummings Bridge, which is an arterial route with heavy traffic 700 metres to the north, and the footbridge to the south of the Queensway, a kilometre and a half away.
In the past, there was a summer crossing (see photo above) at this location by means of a wooden bridge that was dismantled every winter and reinstalled in the spring. As the water is only ankle deep at this point, many people can still be seen to roll up their pants and take a short-cut, a practice that raises safety and health concerns

Go to the link and see the photo of the old bridge.. worth the look.

http://www.rideau-rockcliffe.com/annual%20report/Annual%20Report%20E%202009.pdf

Dado
Sep 22, 2009, 2:03 AM
I thought no one could own the shoreline.. Just like no one can own a lake.

Sure you can own a lake, at least effectively. All you have to do is find a lake with no navigable rivers that is not touched by a public road allowance and then buy up all the land around the lake. Short of someone landing on it with a pontoon-equipped helicopter, it's yours.

And you can definitely own shoreline.

Yroc
Sep 22, 2009, 3:50 AM
Not the case everywhere it would seem.

http://www.shorewalk.ca/news/shoalts.html

Kitchissippi
Oct 7, 2009, 3:00 PM
Here's a great article from Scientific American that city planners should read:
From the October 2009 Scientific American Magazine
How to Get More Bicyclists on the Road
To boost urban bicycling, figure out what women want
By Linda Baker

Getting people out of cars and onto bicycles, a much more sustainable form of transportation, has long vexed environmentally conscious city planners. Although bike lanes painted on streets and automobile-free “greenways” have increased ridership over the past few years, the share of people relying on bikes for transportation is still less than 2 percent, based on various studies. An emerging body of research suggests that a superior strategy to increase pedal pushing could be had by asking the perennial question: What do women want?

In the U.S., men’s cycling trips surpass women’s by at least 2:1. This ratio stands in marked contrast to cycling in European countries, where urban biking is a way of life and draws about as many women as men—sometimes more. In the Netherlands, where 27 percent of all trips are made by bike, 55 percent of all riders are women. In Germany 12 percent of all trips are on bikes, 49 percent of which are made by women.

“If you want to know if an urban environment supports cycling, you can forget about all the detailed ‘bikeability indexes’—just measure the proportion of cyclists who are female,” says Jan Garrard, a senior lecturer at Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia, and author of several studies on biking and gender differences.

Women are considered an “indicator species” for bike-friendly cities for several reasons. First, studies across disciplines as disparate as criminology and child ­rearing have shown that women are more averse to risk than men. In the cycling arena, that risk aversion translates into increased demand for safe bike infrastructure as a prerequisite for riding. Women also do most of the child care and household shopping, which means these bike routes need to be organized around practical urban destinations to make a difference.

“Despite our hope that gender roles don’t exist, they still do,” says Jennifer Dill, a transportation and planning researcher at Portland State University. Addressing women’s concerns about safety and utility “will go a long way” toward increasing the number of people on two wheels, Dill explains.

So far few cities have taken on the challenge. In the U.S., most cycling facilities consist of on-street bike lanes, which require riding in vehicle-clogged traffic, notes John Pucher, a professor of urban planning at Rutgers University and longtime bike scholar. And when cities do install traffic-protected off-street bike paths, they are almost always along rivers and parks rather than along routes leading “to the supermarket, the school, the day care center,” Pucher says.

Although researchers have long examined the bike infrastructure in Europe, they have only just started to do so for the U.S. In a study conducted last year, Dill examined the effect of different types of bike facilities on cycling. The project, which used GPS positioning to record individual cycling trips in Portland, compared the shortest route with the path cyclists actually took to their destination. Women were less likely than men to try on-street bike lanes and more likely to go out of their way to use “bike boulevards,” quiet residential streets with special traffic-calming features for bicycles. “Women diverted from the shortest routes more often,” Dill says.

Other data support those findings. In New York City, men are three times as likely to be cyclists as women. Yet a bicycle count found that an off-street bike path in Central Park had 44 percent female riders. “Within the same city you find huge deviations in terms of gender,” Pucher remarks.

Good infrastructure alone won’t improve women’s cycling rates, researchers caution. In an automobile-dominated culture, “attitudinal variables” also play a role, says Susan Handy, a professor of environmental science at the University of California, Davis. In a survey to be published in Transportation Research Record, Handy found that “comfort” and “needing a car” were important factors influencing women’s cycling rates—but not men’s. Needing a car is likely tied to the household errands women often perform, Handy says, and could be addressed in part by outreach programs showing that women can “jump on a bike the way they jump in a car.”

A few municipalities are beginning to implement a “second wave” of strategies aimed at broadening the cycling demographic. In Portland, a city already renowned for its urban cycling, a Women on Bikes program targets such concerns as fixing a flat tire. The city is also building its first cycle track—a European-style bike lane that is separated from cars and pedestrians. Across the country state and federally funded Safe Routes to Schools programs are creating practical bike routes for kids so they don’t have to be driven by their parents.

Ahead of the curve may be New York City, where about five miles of traffic-protected bike lanes have recently been installed. Credit goes to the new Department of Transportation commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan, who is upending the department’s long-standing focus on trucks and automobiles. Remarks Pucher: “A woman cyclist became head of the DOT, and wonderful things started happening.”

Note: This article was originally printed with the title, "Shifting Gears."

Link to article (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=getting-more-bicyclists-on-the-road)

waterloowarrior
Oct 7, 2009, 3:21 PM
Great article Kitchissippi... I really noticed that effect when cycling in Germany and Holland (along with the lack of spandex/helmets and all the children on bikes :tup:)

There's an online discussion on the citizne's website about cycling at noon today
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/talk/index.html

also a cycling expert is coming to town
http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/bulldog/archive/2009/10/07/portland-oregon-cycling-guru-in-town.aspx

Radster
Oct 20, 2009, 4:06 PM
I just got back from Europe a few weeks ago where once again I had the chance to bike in Amsterdam for a few days, plus last weekend I was in Montreal where they have their segregated biking lanes and traffic signals criss crossing the city. Every time I get out of Ottawa and travel to bike-friendly places I become more and more frustrated with the situation in Ottawa/Gatineau.

I remember when I was a kid, and immigrating to Ottawa from Poland, one of the highlights of Ottawa (according to the Canadian embassy in Poland) was to be their amazing bike path network. Well, now that I have lived here for over 20 years, I can say that this was a big farce! Ottawa doesn't have a bike path system at all. Ottawa has an incomplete recreational path system, where bikers are intermingling with pedestrians, dogs and wheelchairs. Hardly a safe system! These paths are also scenic, and therefore not efficient for getting from point a to b.

Why is Ottawa so behind? Why can't city council look 200km to the East (MTL), to get a clue? Now that Bixi's experiment in Ottawa is over, will Ottawa make some progress and start an initiative to build a network of East-West segregated biking lanes, with their own traffic signals at major intersections? Because if Ottawa (or NCC) only works towards improving the recreational path system, then the BIXI idea will never work here, and there will never be an increase in bike ridership as it is inefficient and dangerous at the moment.

This is just yet another example (like LRT, like Lansdowne Live, etc) of how slow Ottawa is in progressing towards being a real metropolis. Ottawa is a big shame for Canada.:hell:

Radster
Oct 20, 2009, 4:11 PM
Also, CBC had an interesting documentary on biking around the world, it can still be viewed online, for free :

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/doczone/2009/pedalpower/

Kitchissippi
Oct 20, 2009, 5:31 PM
Making a couple of segregated east-west bike routes through downtown Ottawa won't be too hard, nor expensive. All we need to do is sacrifice a line of parked cars on Laurier and Queen, and at the expense of a hundred or so parking spots (which the city could off-load by requiring new development to make up for it, along with improved transit) we could comfortably accommodate thousands of cyclists entering the core. Buffered bike lanes could also be easily implemented on the left hand lanes of Albert and Slater opposite from the Transitway lanes and corresponding with the centre lanes on the Mackenzie King Bridge. These measures will not take huge amounts of money and can even be done right away, what is needed is just a willingness on the part of the city.

I was in New York City last spring to do the Five Boro Bike Ride and was amazed at the huge strides they have taken to make that metropolis a lot more bike friendly (http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/bike-lanes-in-the-big-apple/)

Ciemny
Oct 20, 2009, 5:46 PM
Hey Radster your From Poand too? I came here in 89.

But yes I have been to Warsaw, Rome, Prague..several other cities and I find their bike paths pretty good, especially Warsaw. Here we seem to have recreational paths in the greenbelt, some inside the city but they seem disjointed, one ends and finding where it begins again is a pain. I know the city puts bike lanes on roads but completing our path system would be nice...not the constant talk about completion.

I don't know if its me or I have just been here too long but our council members are experts in discussions, meetings, town halls, grandstanding, endless motions and revies but when it actually comes down to creating a bike path.....that is beyond them.

Radster
Oct 20, 2009, 6:58 PM
Ciemny, I came here in 89 too :)

Its not just bike lanes on the sides of roads that we need - a painted line on a road will not make cycling safer, nor will it stop pedestrians from using it. We need dedicated and seperated bike lanes. Montreal has done a great job, in some cases this was done using a cement curb to seperate the lanes from car traffic, and on some streets, even in old neighbourhoods this was done without sacrificing on-street parking - they simply shifted the on-street parking over a few feet,and put up thin cylinder-type barriers to seperate the lanes from car traffic. Come winter, the barriers are removed, parking is shifted back and there is more room for cars and snow.

Many of our streets are wider than streets in other cities, IMO this not just to accomodate on-street parking, but also to accomodate snow come winter time. In the summer, this is wasted space, which can be used for segregated bike lanes. This is done in Montreal in very old neighbourhoods, ie. Plateau, where the bike modal share in the non-winter months is over 7%.

Radster
Oct 20, 2009, 7:09 PM
Kitchissippi, thanks for that video. Yet another good example, they don't even seperate the bike lanes with physical barriers like in MTL or Amsterdam, yet they seem to have an effective classification system of bike lanes. So Ottawa has many examples to look at and many sources of inspiration. Yet IMO, the problem is that Ottawa city council does not distinguish the difference between recreational paths and bike lanes, and so they are blind in a way and believe that the NCC is in charge of what in their mind are bike lanes and so it will take a while before someone opens their eyes and makes them realize that we need REAL bike lanes and that it is the city that has to act to make it happen. This applies to Gatineau as well.

Ciemny
Oct 20, 2009, 10:29 PM
Radster,

Ottawa seems to have a mentality that the NCC is responsible for the paths. The NCC at least widens them or does periodic fixes but nothing beyond that point. I do not know if there is any co-ordination between both sides on implimenting a bike lane network. I think people just got used to biking on whats available here.

waterloowarrior
Oct 28, 2009, 3:46 AM
Councillors seek $16.7M for cycling

Committee says money needed to bring system up to speed with council-approved strategy
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Councillors+seek+cycling/2152213/story.html
BY PATRICK DARE, THE OTTAWA CITIZENOCTOBER 27, 2009 11:43 PM

OTTAWA — City officials, concerned that not enough is being done to promote cycling, are recommending $16.7 million be spent in 2010 to upgrade the city’s system.

The cycling capital projects being considered include:

- A new corridor for cyclists and pedestrians along the Sawmill Creek stormwater facility between Hunt Club Road and Walkley Road;

- Bike lanes on Heron Road, Prince of Wales Drive, Carling Avenue, Johnston Road, Trim Road, Limebank Road, Fernbank Road and 10th Line Road; and

- Shared pathways for cyclists and pedestrians on Industrial Avenue, the Ottawa River Parkway and Alta Vista Drive.

Two councillors pushing for the projects say that Ottawa has fallen behind on building its cycling network. The city has a plan, but it’s too often treated as optional, they say, a piece that can be tossed out during budget talks.

“We’re spending hundreds of millions on new roads,” said River Councillor Maria McRae, chairwoman of the transportation committee. “We’re looking for a balance. Otherwise there’s no point in having a cycling strategy. We’ve fallen very far behind.”

Councillor Christine Leadman, vice-chairwoman of the committee, said the city lists pedestrians and cyclists as top priorities in all its planning documents, but fails to follow through.

“We don’t support our own policies,” said Leadman. “It’s easy to cut, but it shouldn’t be.”

The Kitchissippi councillor said cycling should be encouraged, especially in the central part of the city where there’s no room to build new roads. However, she said many cyclists don’t feel safe mingling with vehicle traffic on the roads.

The capital spending is to be part of the proposed 2010 budget for the transportation branch of the city released at noon today, a move that will add to the property-tax increase expected at the city.

McRae says the stimulus program should mostly cover costs for capital cycling projects, where costs are shared with the federal and provincial governments. There are modest costs on the operating budget for a safety program, a cycling map and two new staff members to run pedestrian and cycling programs.

McRae said even if the city must spend money on these cycling projects, they pay off with less road congestion and air pollution, healthier citizens and less wear on roads.

She says expanding the cycling network would also strengthen Ottawa’s image as a green city, a perception that many visitors to the city already remark on.

Ottawa officials are looking to cities like Portland, Oregon, as examples of how expansion of the cycling network can boost participation. In 1992, Portland had just over 130 kilometres of bikeways and about 2,850 daily trips by cyclists. Portland has expanded its bikeway network to 440 kilometres and, by 2008, daily trips exceeded 16,000. Six per cent of residents in Portland travel regularly by bicycle.

Ottawa’s cycling plan, adopted by city council, aims to move from an estimated 4,500 cycling trips daily in 2001 to 12,000 trips daily by 2021.

RTWAP
Oct 28, 2009, 6:24 AM
I've recently become aware of the debate between the road cycling proponents, who want bikes to be treated like cars, and safe cycling proponents, who want segregated bike lanes like in Europe.

Having biked on our recreational pathways, I've got to admit they're not great for getting where you need to go. And bike lanes that disappear mid-block are worse than no bike lane at all.

I hope the city moves in the direction of segregating bikes and cars, at least for a few designated commuting corridors.

TransitZilla
Oct 29, 2009, 4:03 PM
I took a look at the draft Transportation capital budget (http://www.ottawa.ca/city_hall/budget/budget_2010/transportation_budget_2010_en.pdf) and wasn't able to see where the $16.7 million came from, nor was there a list of all the projects planned.

I emailed Maria McRae, and received the following reply from Mona Abouhenidy:

$400k for Cycling Facilities
· Isabella-Hawthorne (Pretoria Bridge Bike Lanes)
· Aviation Parkway Crossing
· Hartwell Locks Bike Ramp
· Heron - Prince of Wales to Data Centre
· Prince of Wales Bike Lanes (at Meadwolands)

$4.0M as a component of renewal program (road rehab, integrated road/sewer program, etc)
· Examples:

· Carling Avenue bike lanes (O-Train overpass to Bronson)
· Johnston Rd (Tapiola Cres. W - 215m east of Tapiola Cres. E)
· Mcllraith Bridge (Rideau River Dr. -Riverside Hospital entrance)
· Trim Rd (800m south of Millennium to Navan)

$1.3M as a component of new road construction
· Limebank Rd (Spratt to Earl Armstrong) bike lanes - 900m
· Fernbank (Eagleson and Terry Fox) bike lanes - 670m
· 10th line Rd (Lakepointe to Blackburn Hamlet By-Pass extension) –730m

$5M for the design and construction of Hunt Club Community connection to SE Twy

$500k for the EA for the Coventry/Train Station pathway connection

$1M for the Bike Share Implementation Program

$4.5M from the Stimulus Fund
$1.1M for urban multi-use pathways

· Industrial Rd (Riverside to Alta Vista)
· Ottawa River Pathway (Hiawatha to Trim)
· Sawmill Creek (Hunt Club to Walkley)
· Alta Vista (Smyth to Walkley)

· $3.4M for rural multi-use pathways

· Prescott Russell Pathway
· Osgood Link

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$16.7M Total

Why this isn't easily found on the city's website, I have no idea. You would think that they would want to advertise good things that they're doing!

Kitchissippi
Oct 29, 2009, 4:25 PM
Why this isn't easily found on the city's website, I have no idea. You would think that they would want to advertise good things that they're doing!

I look at those projects and realize how useless it is to most cyclists and how much of the cycling budget is being hijacked by projects that are really for cars. For example the $4 million "renewal" program sounds ridiculous. It looks like they are just resurfacing these roads and painting new lines. The cycling portion on projects like these should be just the cost of the paint.

Also, I find it stupid that they account for shoulders as merely for cycling. They are not, otherwise they would not install them on the 400 series highways. Shoulders prevent soil erosion at the edge of the roadway, extending the life of the main surface. Since bikes have the right to be on the road, a cycleable shoulder really just frees the main roadway for cars.

What I am getting at is that the cycling budget should be spent on bike paths and segregated lanes (if warranted) and things like specialized bike signals and signage. What worries me is that it is being used to pad road building budgets.

Another thing that pisses me off royally is that the is nothing here for the downtown core where cycling facilities need a drastic fix especially if we are serious about expanding the Bixi program. The NCC had wanted a Bixi station at Parliament Hill until they realized there wasn't a safe way to get from there to the other stations in the Market and in Gatineau. Now that is sad.

TransitZilla
Oct 29, 2009, 4:48 PM
I look at those projects and realize how useless it is to most cyclists and how much of the cycling budget is being hijacked by projects that are really for cars. For example the $4 million "renewal" program sounds ridiculous. It looks like they are just resurfacing these roads and painting new lines. The cycling portion on projects like these should be just the cost of the paint.

Also, I find it stupid that they account for shoulders as merely for cycling. They are not, otherwise they would not install them on the 400 series highways. Shoulders prevent soil erosion at the edge of the roadway, extending the life of the main surface. Since bikes have the right to be on the road, a cycleable shoulder really just frees the main roadway for cars.

What I am getting at is that the cycling budget should be spent on bike paths and segregated lanes (if warranted) and things like specialized bike signals and signage. What worries me is that it is being used to pad road building budgets.

Another thing that pisses me off royally is that the is nothing here for the downtown core where cycling facilities need a drastic fix especially if we are serious about expanding the Bixi program. The NCC had wanted a Bixi station at Parliament Hill until they realized there wasn't a safe way to get from there to the other stations in the Market and in Gatineau. Now that is sad.

Kitchissippi, I have to disagree. I agree that there should be more invested into paths and segregated lanes, but retrofitting existing roads to acommodate cycling facilities is also imporatant. To be fair, there is $4.5 million for segregated pathways (even if it is the stimulus money).

In many cases they are actually moving the curbs to widen the road for bike lanes, so it's a bit more than lines. For the McIlraith Bridge, they are widening the bridge for better sidewalks and bike lanes.

It's pretty cynical to say that a paved shoulder just frees the road for cars. I cycle from outside of the Greenbelt and on the Airport Pkwy, and I am happy to be cycling on the paved shoulder- it's a far more comfortable environment. Maybe cycling programs should not bear the entire cost of paved shoulders, but they do make a significant contribution to the "cycleabilty" of a road.

This is somewhat off-topic, but it is frustrating that the MTO paves shoulders on 400-series highways (where bikes are banned), but does not pave them on 2 lane highways like Hwy 7, where bikes are allowed and where they would make cycle tourism much more attractive. I guess that's a whole other ball of wax, though...

Kitchissippi
Oct 29, 2009, 5:25 PM
My point was that on projects where road rebuilding or sewer replacement is involved, upgrading to include cycling facilities should be automatic, same as with new road building. The portion for cycling should not be separated out, it's just part of the cost of doing or redoing a road.

I also ride my bike extensively and use shoulders anytime when they are available. You just have to bear in mind that every time you do, you technically surrender your right to the main part of the road. So while shoulders make a significant contribution to the "cycleabilty" of a road, it also adds to its "driveability". Again, what I am saying is that shoulders on highways should just be a required standard and not a cost attributed to cycling. A highway that is safer for cyclists is a highway that is safer for all.

TransitZilla
Oct 29, 2009, 5:47 PM
My point was that on projects where road rebuilding or sewer replacement is involved, upgrading to include cycling facilities should be automatic, same as with new road building. The portion for cycling should not be separated out, it's just part of the cost of doing or redoing a road.

I agree it should be automatic, but if they didn't split out the cost separately, there would be complaints that nothing is being spent on cycling, which would not be correct.

I also ride my bike extensively and use shoulders anytime when they are available. You just have to bear in mind that every time you do, you technically surrender your right to the main part of the road. So while shoulders make a significant contribution to the "cycleabilty" of a road, it also adds to its "driveability".

I'm not convinced that the driveability is much affected. What usually ends up happening is that the drivers just buzz by the cyclists, which is much more uncomfortable for the cyclist than for the driver.

I think the 2010 plan is a good step forward; I just hope that the funding for multi-use pathways doesn't dry up next year when there are no stimulus funds.

Radster
Nov 2, 2009, 5:58 PM
These changes/improvements are not going to increase bike ridership in Ottawa, they are not going to help accomodate the BIXI system either.

Many of these improvements are for multi use paths, which again, is the WRONG, oldschool direction to be heading into! Ottawa should once and for all seperate the cyclists from pedestrians/joggers!

Cyclists should have their own pathways, where no other mode of transit is allowed. Walkers and joggers would then have the sidewalks and recreational paths to use, and cyclists with maybe rollerbladers, and electric mopeds (as is the case in Europe and Montreal) would have the bike lanes.

Kithissippi is right. We need segregated lanes downtown and on many East/West, North/South arteries, complete with their own traffic signals and signage. This isn't rocket science. If they managed to get this done with great success on tight and crowded streets on the Island of Montreal, then surely it can be done on our wide open Ottawa streets inside the Greenbelt!

Why can't they look at New York City's example? What about Montreal's example?

Radster
Nov 2, 2009, 6:00 PM
Maybe the city is worried about losing the revenue generating on-street parking meter spots? They shouldn't be, because the bike lanes can be incorporated without any or very little on-street parking sacrifice, proof again is in Montreal.

waterloowarrior
Nov 2, 2009, 6:17 PM
I have to agree with Kitchissippi and Radster. The Cycling Plan doesn't seriously consider the types of infrastructure Radster mentioned. I think the proposal to look at an downtown segregated cycling was only added at Committee by a couple of the Councillors. And IIRC the cycling plan was significantly chopped down from a previous version.

Look at the proposed cycling network. There are 1967 KM of bike facilities in the proposed network, but 32% (622 KM) are "signed only" routes, 38% are paved shoulders (757 KM), and 5% are wider curb lanes (97 KM). So about 75% of the network is basically widening roads slightly, which will probably increase traffic speeds, and putting up signs to share the road.

Most of the 360 KM of proposed off-road pathways is in the rural areas and/or newly developed areas around Barrhaven/Kanata etc. There are also 134 KM of on road bike lanes proposed. So basically the already cheapened bikeway network does very little for the urban part of the city, where I assume cycling rates are much higher. Promoting more cycling in the rural areas (especially separated pathways between towns) and intra/inter-suburban bikeways are important, but the core and inner suburbs also need serious investments and the City can't just continue to rely on the NCC "multi-use" pathways.

TransitZilla
Nov 3, 2009, 12:39 AM
These changes/improvements are not going to increase bike ridership in Ottawa, they are not going to help accomodate the BIXI system either.

Many of these improvements are for multi use paths, which again, is the WRONG, oldschool direction to be heading into! Ottawa should once and for all seperate the cyclists from pedestrians/joggers!

Cyclists should have their own pathways, where no other mode of transit is allowed. Walkers and joggers would then have the sidewalks and recreational paths to use, and cyclists with maybe rollerbladers, and electric mopeds (as is the case in Europe and Montreal) would have the bike lanes.

Kithissippi is right. We need segregated lanes downtown and on many East/West, North/South arteries, complete with their own traffic signals and signage. This isn't rocket science. If they managed to get this done with great success on tight and crowded streets on the Island of Montreal, then surely it can be done on our wide open Ottawa streets inside the Greenbelt!

Why can't they look at New York City's example? What about Montreal's example?

I think you're being far too negative.

While I certainly agree that we need to look at segregated lanes across downtown, I don't think having separate cyclist paths are necessary everywhere.

Where there is a lot of volume (i.e. along the Canal) a system similar to Vancouver's is probably warranted. (see picture below).
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3537/3396840901_73ebcab6f7.jpg

I do also like the BikeWest idea for a dedicated bike route from the west, complete with signals, etc. (http://westsideaction.blogspot.com/2009/09/bikewest-opportunity-knocks-part-i.html)

But I think we also need to be looking at expanding the network of paths, and I don't think it's necessary to build separate cyclist paths until volume warrants it. With limited resources, let's maximize the size of the network.

I also think that bike lanes are an integral part of the network. We're never going to be able to put bike paths everywhere you want to go, so for commuting purposes, bike lanes are necessary to complete the link from A to B.

waterloowarrior
Nov 3, 2009, 12:56 AM
Some of the problems with the plan for bike lanes is that a lot of the proposed 134 KM bike lane network is for high speed, high volume suburban 4-6 lane arterials like Baseline/Heron, Terry Fox extension, Hunt Club, and Riverside/Vanier. I don't think it's appropriate to have bike lanes as the solution for these roads, with heavy traffic flowing by at 80-100 km/hr in some places. I don't think I've ever seen someone biking on the bike lanes on Hunt Club east of Lorry Greenberg, where proper use of bikeways where the sidewalk/path area is would have been a much better solution. (that area also has one of the those random endings of the bike lane into a merge lane (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ottawa,+on&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=46.422473,114.169922&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario&ll=45.359966,-75.631565&spn=0.024546,0.055747&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=45.360032,-75.6314&panoid=g7RqFc2YtAqW8Wpyc4Gt0Q&cbp=12,259.22,,0,6.78).. which then reappears briefly and ends as (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ottawa,+on&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=46.422473,114.169922&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario&ll=45.358207,-75.635848&spn=0.024547,0.055747&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=45.358303,-75.635642&panoid=C4TelU7v3BhMPJufvOlD6w&cbp=12,243,,0,15.02) vehicles prepare to turn right ).

Maybe hardcore cyclists will use them but the average person will just stick to the sidewalk, (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ottawa,+on&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=46.422473,114.169922&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=45.362132,-75.625843&panoid=uCWInujSt91ic3LrouqgXg&cbp=12,350.09,,2,4.24&hq=&hnear=Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario&ll=45.362267,-75.625933&spn=0.024545,0.055747&z=15) side streets, or NCC paths. Seems like more of a waste of funds to build a bike lane no one will feel safe using. These more high speed suburban roads should have separate paths like in this video (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=4297377&postcount=24)I posted earlier ( doesn't have to be as wide/fancy if not necessary), with better treatment at intersections than the NCC's practice of just ending paths at crosswalk island or the ambigious designs (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ottawa,+on&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=46.422473,114.169922&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=45.368906,-75.609896&panoid=4TP30WP0d0G_JN7ODqY58Q&cbp=12,65.46,,1,4.48&hq=&hnear=Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario&ll=45.369062,-75.609584&spn=0.024542,0.055747&z=15) that can be found around the city. . Just putting up 'share the road' signs (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ottawa,+on&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=46.422473,114.169922&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=45.371662,-75.603322&panoid=dX38wjBwAhqSuVQ2kRqjbg&cbp=12,249.02,,0,16.71&hq=&hnear=Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario&ll=45.371564,-75.603533&spn=0.024661,0.055747&z=15) beside empty sidewalks also seems like a waste.

Kitchissippi
Nov 3, 2009, 2:49 AM
I think the standard for 80 km/h arterial roads should be bike lanes PLUS a multi use pathway beside it. I used the bike lanes on Innes a lot when I lived in Orleans and there were lots of other commuters who do. It would benefit a lot from a pathway on the north side though, from Blackburn Hamlet to Blair. (The NCC is working on a meandering gravel path along Green's Creek but it won't be great for commuters). Conroy Road (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.375052,-75.625362&spn=0,359.827309&t=h&z=13&layer=c&cbll=45.375192,-75.62543&panoid=30omjErbOLFQEX44Iyy4DA&cbp=12,163.48,,0,5) between Hunt Club and Walkley has this configuration.

waterloowarrior
Nov 3, 2009, 7:45 PM
I think the standard for 80 km/h arterial roads should be bike lanes PLUS a multi use pathway beside it. I used the bike lanes on Innes a lot when I lived in Orleans and there were lots of other commuters who do. It would benefit a lot from a pathway on the north side though, from Blackburn Hamlet to Blair. (The NCC is working on a meandering gravel path along Green's Creek but it won't be great for commuters). Conroy Road (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.375052,-75.625362&spn=0,359.827309&t=h&z=13&layer=c&cbll=45.375192,-75.62543&panoid=30omjErbOLFQEX44Iyy4DA&cbp=12,163.48,,0,5) between Hunt Club and Walkley has this configuration.

Terry Fox is also like that in some places, but it has the problems of poor intersection design, a narrow width, random pathway ending at sidewalks, and a somewhat windy route. Trying to make turns on these paths can be awkward. Woodroffe between Sportsplex and Fallowfield also has a pathway and bike lanes (much better implementation than TF), but it also has the issue of randomly ending (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ottawa,+on&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=46.422473,114.169922&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario&ll=45.299147,-75.731549&spn=0.012286,0.027874&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.298861,-75.731386&panoid=1r4PU8HKcXru3ONEsZ9d7w&cbp=12,140.42,,0,2.02) into the crosswalk of a major intersection. Conroy looks like a better implementation, but IMO if the pathways are properly designed (straighter, wider, better intersections/signalling etc) they can accommodate both the recreational and commuter cyclists. Proper facilities can reduce some of the redundant suburban pedestrian/cyclist infrastructure (where we build bike lanes but people stick to the sidewalk) and attract more people who just don't feel safe right now on Ottawa roads.

It doesn't have to be that fancy, but the thinking has to be consistency, clear direction/signage/priority, directness, a good surface, and safety... here's a quick example (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=amsterdam&sll=45.298407,-75.903039&sspn=0.023939,0.055747&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Amsterdam,+North+Holland,+The+Netherlands&ll=52.283534,4.841457&spn=0.020819,0.055747&t=h&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.283514,4.841646&panoid=7sfuqYFdi7sCANGZdQtNSA&cbp=12,11.93,,0,10.96) I found. It isn't that much of a difference from some of the facilities we are already building, but there is just more clarity, consistency, and better connectivity (and it's actually useful for non-recreational cyclists). I feel it's less redundant and people will feel safer using it. I noticed at the latest Canadian transportation conference there were several sessions on cycling infrastructure design--- maybe we will see changes in laws, pavement markings, signage etc to improve these types of facilities.

edit: speaking of Innes, here's another bad bike lane (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=innes+rd,+ottawa&sll=45.380487,-75.640526&sspn=0.095615,0.222988&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Innes+Rd,+Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=45.415202,-75.605721&spn=0.011945,0.027874&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.41526,-75.605523&panoid=FC8OH4hycJ-Njk20YpTfQA&cbp=12,251.16,,0,15.92)..

Kitchissippi
Nov 3, 2009, 9:29 PM
edit: speaking of Innes, here's another bad bike lane (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=innes+rd,+ottawa&sll=45.380487,-75.640526&sspn=0.095615,0.222988&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Innes+Rd,+Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=45.415202,-75.605721&spn=0.011945,0.027874&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.41526,-75.605523&panoid=FC8OH4hycJ-Njk20YpTfQA&cbp=12,251.16,,0,15.92)..

Yes, that is a particularly bad example and I think the city should just remove that portion past Cyrville. Instead, it should invest in proper bike lanes/shoulders all along Cyrville Road, from Ogilvie all the way to the other end past the city garage near the Brick (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=innes+rd,+ottawa&sll=45.380487,-75.640526&sspn=0.095615,0.222988&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=45.413073,-75.600296&panoid=SVoX8pj6XJS9ZgCwMnE_Ag&cbp=11,169.88,,0,5&hq=&hnear=Innes+Rd,+Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=45.412178,-75.60077&spn=0.002162,0.007628&z=18) and connect with the old Railway ROW. A paved bike path should be built to take advantage of the unused underpass beneath the 417 and connect with a pathway on the other side of Innes (between Innes and Old Innes) and then continue into the General Hospital campus and connect to the pathways at Hurdman. That railway ROW is also slated to become a gravel pathway that connects with the Prescott Russell Trail, and when that happens, we'll have a bike path from Ottawa all the way to the Quebec border at Rigaud.

Another one that should be built is a pathway from Cyrvile/Labrie to St.Laurent parallel to the south side of the Queensway. The is currently a stub of a pathway (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=innes+rd,+ottawa&sll=45.380487,-75.640526&sspn=0.095615,0.222988&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=45.419116,-75.634298&panoid=xZcrj07MCWGYcvXNimetKw&cbp=12,94.85,,0,5&hq=&hnear=Innes+Rd,+Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=45.419013,-75.634239&spn=0.019173,0.030513&z=16) here from Triole to the crossing signals at the Queensway ramps. This would connect to the pathway along Tremblay, on to the Train station then Hurdman.

From the north end of Cyrville, there should also be a bike friendly route that follows Cummings to Donald to a bridge across the Rideau to Somerset East connecting to the Corktown Bridge into downtown.

I would have appreciated these routes when I was living in the east end.

waterloowarrior
Nov 3, 2009, 9:41 PM
Those are all great ideas. The MTO has been looking at how to better design interchanges/bridges for pedestrians and cyclists (study underway in southern ontario) so hopefully we will be seeing some changes around these interchanges including better crossings and alternative routes. Interchanges like this (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kanata,+on&sll=45.485493,-75.502435&sspn=0.006153,0.013937&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kanata,+Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=45.362293,-75.768966&spn=0.001387,0.006968&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=45.362291,-75.768965&panoid=Krckv8nQKP-5cD7UrvfxgA&cbp=11,167.25,,1,4.38) (Woodroffe) can be a big discouragement to cycling, and scary/dangerous for even experienced cyclists. I'm also looking forward to that Prescott Russell path connection and some of the other rural pathways (like from South Keys area to Osgoode)

In the cycling plan there is a plan to connect bike routes near Cyrville by extending this path (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=innes+rd,+ottawa&sll=45.380487,-75.640526&sspn=0.095615,0.222988&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=45.417442,-75.60038&panoid=IAu3YgtpxB6AY7YKxtrDUw&cbp=11,344.82,,0,12.14&hq=&hnear=Innes+Rd,+Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=45.417446,-75.600379&spn=0.005362,0.027874&z=16) through the hydro corridor down to the Prescott Russell pathway, and the NCC capital pathway will also connect Innes and the p.r. pathway near Blair Road. Bike lanes/shoulders on Cyrville would offer that EW connection though (edit: looks like there is a plan for bike lanes on Cyrville in the cycling plan as well :tup: ) .

Kitchissippi
Nov 3, 2009, 10:47 PM
Yes, I wish the MTO would be required to put cycleable box culverts in between interchanges where possible.

When Orleans was planned, the greenways were supposed to have been interconnected across the highway, so there are these corresponding corridors that simply dead end at present. There are one or two spots between each interchange (Vinyard to Youville, Fortune to Lumberman, Bilberry to Roque Park, and a couple of spots by the town centre). When they widened the highway to four-lanes they could have placed cheap culverts like these:

http://www.centralotagorailtrail.co.nz/gallery/fullsize/SV402529_fs.jpg

or these:
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/d8/projects/23/pictures/8-10-04%20Bike%20Trail%20Box%20Culvert2.jpg

Had they done this, Orleans would have been infinitely more bike friendly today, and maybe even given hope to a more humane St Joseph main street

TransitZilla
Nov 4, 2009, 12:47 AM
Yes, I wish the MTO would be required to put cycleable box culverts in between interchanges where possible.

When Orleans was planned, the greenways were supposed to have been interconnected across the highway, so there are these corresponding corridors that simply dead end at present. There are one or two spots between each interchange (Vinyard to Youville, Fortune to Lumberman, Bilberry to Roque Park, and a couple of spots by the town centre). When they widened the highway to four-lanes they could have placed cheap culverts like these:

Had they done this, Orleans would have been infinitely more bike friendly today, and maybe even given hope to a more humane St Joseph main street

That is too bad, for sure. Several of these corridors have perfectly corresponding paths on the north and south sides of the highway, but nothing to join them together.

I wonder what kind of dollars we'd be looking at to retrofit something like that now, and where the priorities would be. (My vote would probably be Bilberry-Rocque Park, which gives a direct N-S connection to Belcourt; followed by Vineyard-Youville).

At least today, the city is building new arterials with bike lanes, and the MTO is planning to eliminate the free-flow ramps on interchanges like Woodroffe.

TransitZilla
Nov 4, 2009, 1:01 AM
Yes, that is a particularly bad example and I think the city should just remove that portion past Cyrville. Instead, it should invest in proper bike lanes/shoulders all along Cyrville Road, from Ogilvie all the way to the other end past the city garage near the Brick (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=innes+rd,+ottawa&sll=45.380487,-75.640526&sspn=0.095615,0.222988&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=45.413073,-75.600296&panoid=SVoX8pj6XJS9ZgCwMnE_Ag&cbp=11,169.88,,0,5&hq=&hnear=Innes+Rd,+Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=45.412178,-75.60077&spn=0.002162,0.007628&z=18) and connect with the old Railway ROW. A paved bike path should be built to take advantage of the unused underpass beneath the 417 and connect with a pathway on the other side of Innes (between Innes and Old Innes) and then continue into the General Hospital campus and connect to the pathways at Hurdman. That railway ROW is also slated to become a gravel pathway that connects with the Prescott Russell Trail, and when that happens, we'll have a bike path from Ottawa all the way to the Quebec border at Rigaud.

I think this is all part of the plan. According to this document (http://www.barrhavenbia.ca/BIA/Revised%20Infrastructure%20-%20Document%201.xls) (Excel; refer to the Appx A- Sidewalks&Pathways tab) the Prescott Russell pathway will be from the City Limits to "Innes in Rail ROW". So I'm not sure if the 2010 project will extend west of the 417 or not. I hope so.

In either case, I think the 2010 program is a good start- certainly there will be lots left to do!

TransitZilla
Nov 4, 2009, 1:10 AM
These more high speed suburban roads should have separate paths like in this video (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=4297377&postcount=24)I posted earlier ( doesn't have to be as wide/fancy if not necessary), with better treatment at intersections than the NCC's practice of just ending paths at crosswalk island...

I really like the bike path shown in this video, and the dedicated signalization, etc.

I'm a little confused where pedestrians are supposed to go. There doesn't really seem to be a sidewalk, and it doesn't seem like this bikeway is intended for people walking.

In Ottawa, even when paths are provided parallel to the road, it's intended to sort of double as a sidewalk. I think something like BikeWest (http://westsideaction.blogspot.com/search/label/bikewest), where you'd have separate road, sidewalk and bikeway) could be tried as a pilot project.

waterloowarrior
Nov 4, 2009, 2:01 AM
I really like the bike path shown in this video, and the dedicated signalization, etc.

I'm a little confused where pedestrians are supposed to go. There doesn't really seem to be a sidewalk, and it doesn't seem like this bikeway is intended for people walking.

In Ottawa, even when paths are provided parallel to the road, it's intended to sort of double as a sidewalk. I think something like BikeWest (http://westsideaction.blogspot.com/search/label/bikewest), where you'd have separate road, sidewalk and bikeway) could be tried as a pilot project.

From what I've seen in NL if it's bikeway only it's shared, but there are lots of bikeways with a pavement/sidewalk r (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Rotterdam,+The+Netherlands&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=0.022505,0.055747&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rotterdam,+South+Holland,+The+Netherlands&ll=51.929594,4.44706&spn=0.01077,0.027874&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.929642,4.446859&panoid=nLYdJbTfb5hMYr52XEbDyg&cbp=12,70.35,,0,16.85)unning along them like BikeWest. Pedestrians are allowed (http://www.verkeerenwaterstaat.nl/english/Images/Road%20Traffic%20Signs%20and%20Regulations%20in%20the%20Netherlands%202009_tcm249-244812.pdf) to use cycle paths if there isn't a sidewalk, so they could use the pathway shown in the video (you can see some pedestrian lights at the crosswalks where the sidewalks from the industrial park cross the road)

speaking of tunnels under highways, here's a cool one from Holland
http://hembrow.blogspot.com/2009/10/bicycle-cathedral.html
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_E-Gmv1JFKtE/Sso5tz8ADkI/AAAAAAAAEP4/iR5QDoZPj6E/s1600/BCT-03-DSCF1485-kl.jpg

Kitchissippi
Nov 4, 2009, 2:25 AM
Part of the problem with signals for bikes is the extremely slow time it takes for Ontario to change its rules. I'm not sure if they have made lights the shape of bikes legal yet, or if signal lights smaller than the present standard are acceptable. This is why the lights at the east side of Mackenzie King are the regular kind with a just a sign that says "bicycle signal" on it.

Quebec, on the other hand, is far more flexible and more responsive to the needs of cyclists. Velo Québec has a good relationship with the MTQ and they developed the Route verte together. There was an attempt with the Cycle Ontario Alliance to get some progress in Ontario, but sadly the organization went bankrupt last year.

Kitchissippi
Nov 4, 2009, 2:34 AM
One bike tunnel I like is the one under March Road which connects the NCC path to Kanata. The city should really build more of these – Woodroffe just north of Baseline could certainly use one – in areas where the pathways cross busy arterials.

RTWAP
Nov 4, 2009, 9:21 AM
One bike tunnel I like is the one under March Road which connects the NCC path to Kanata. The city should really build more of these – Woodroffe just north of Baseline could certainly use one – in areas where the pathways cross busy arterials.

I second this.

As further confirmation that bikes are an afterthought, they broke the cycle path near Baseline station during the construction, routing the path onto the transitway, which you're not allowed to bike on. But there's a well-hidden bike access to the tunnel under Baseline just beside the former Nortel building on Constellation. Except you can't get to it by pathway because of the construction. There is a bit of gravel at the corner of the parking lot that serves as a ramp, although when biking my youngest to daycare the gravel doesn't really help the trailer.

And then they closed that second access point. This time at least they put up a sign. It says use Woodroffe. Riiiiight.