PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton Gateway Sign

FairHamilton
Jun 4, 2008, 3:26 PM
Have I missed any discussion on this on the board, or has none taken place? A friend just sent me the link so I don't know when the Design Study was launched (perhaps it was recently).

Any opinions (like anyone on this board has a an opinion, haha) on the designs?

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/CityandGovernment/CityDepartments/PlanningEcDev/Development/UrbanDesign/CurrentProjects/CivicGatewayDesignStudy.htm

HAMRetrofit
Jun 4, 2008, 3:29 PM
please three.

The other three are corny. Why can't someone with real talent be hired to design this sign?

raisethehammer
Jun 4, 2008, 3:33 PM
lame.
this stuff is such crap.

How about a waterfall feature or something unique...
the only one I like out of these is the High Level Bridge.
but even it's pretty lame.

beanmedic
Jun 4, 2008, 3:47 PM
After looking at the PDFs, I like the steel one the best. I think it is the most attractive. I don't think steel is the image we want to project moving into the future, but it's the nicest looking one there.

The high level bridge sign would be nice, but the whole design looks old and dated.

HAMRetrofit
Jun 4, 2008, 3:58 PM
I personally think the idea of imitating a feature that already exists on the sign quite cheesy. There are thousands of people that have experience designing signs. I believe that an international competition should be held to find the best solution.

oldcoote
Jun 4, 2008, 4:13 PM
Don't like any of them.

Did they actually hire a graphics company to design this stuff?

FairHamilton
Jun 4, 2008, 4:25 PM
Yeah, none of them really inspire me.

I agree with RTH something incorporating waterfalls might be nice, or how about the escarpment.

I find it funny Option 4, Diverse Landscapes, only includes trees as a backdrop. Perhaps they are different types of trees and that's where the diversity comes from......

I like Industrial Heritage, but it seems to be focused on Hamilton's past (the name says it all). Besides everybody already associates Hamilton with steel, and Health Services are a bigger employer in the city now. Let's be forward looking in the sign, not looking in the rearview.

I guess civic input is just choosing 1, 2, 3 or 4. A contest/project at a graphic design school would have been a good choice.

Heck, they could have filmed it and made it into a reality show. You want to promote Hamilton across the nation (or on the Internet) put together a reality show on the drive to create a new highway sign for Hamilton. Hmm I kind of like it, perhaps my random musings have come up with a good idea.

block43
Jun 4, 2008, 5:09 PM
The website lists option 5 none of these and allows people to upload an image for submission.

markbarbera
Jun 4, 2008, 5:11 PM
The civic input page is here (http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/CityandGovernment/CityDepartments/PlanningEcDev/Development/UrbanDesign/CurrentProjects/Forms/Civic+Gateway+Design+Study.htm). Civic input is not limited to selecting option 1-4. You may also select option 5 for none of the above, there is a comment field to be used at your leisure, and, as block43 pointed out, you can even submit an image should you have a specific idea on a different gateway. The final day to submit your opinion is June 27.

Personally, I have chosen option 4. The diversity is in the vegetation, which varies depending on the unique qualities of each individual gateway, which I think is kinda neat. A detailed description of the options can be found by selecting the option listed on this page (http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/CityandGovernment/CityDepartments/PlanningEcDev/Development/UrbanDesign/CurrentProjects/CivicGatewayDesignStudy.htm)

FairHamilton
Jun 4, 2008, 5:12 PM
The website lists option 5 none of these and allows people to upload an image for submission.

Where?? I don't see an Option 5.

markbarbera
Jun 4, 2008, 5:29 PM
Where?? I don't see an Option 5.

follow the link in my post above your latest post.

here is the full url:
http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/CityandGovernment/CityDepartments/PlanningEcDev/Development/UrbanDesign/CurrentProjects/Forms/Civic+Gateway+Design+Study.htm

SteelTown
Jun 4, 2008, 5:34 PM
They should use a limestone background from the Escarpment, plenty of quarry around for that, with water pouring from the limestones over the word Hamilton to symbolize the many waterfalls here.

DC83
Jun 4, 2008, 5:39 PM
They should use a limestone background from the Escarpment, plenty of quarry around for that, with water pouring from the limestones over the word Hamilton to symbolize the many waterfalls here.

That's the best idea yet!! Anyone know how to graphic design it!? haha

FairHamilton
Jun 4, 2008, 5:39 PM
follow the link in my post above your latest post.

here is the full url:
http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/CityandGovernment/CityDepartments/PlanningEcDev/Development/UrbanDesign/CurrentProjects/Forms/Civic+Gateway+Design+Study.htm

Got it, thanks. I was typing my last post when you posted the link.

raisethehammer
Jun 4, 2008, 5:40 PM
I can't do up images any good, but I'll suggest the waterfall theme too.
Option 5 for sure...I missed that the first time around.
Good find.

FairHamilton
Jun 4, 2008, 5:43 PM

Great idea. Water is the element which would separate the sign from a boring static one to a 'living' one.

I went for a walk at lunch and was stopped dead in my tracks by a beautiful pond and waterfall at Tecumseth and Richmond here in Toronto.

SteelTown
Jun 4, 2008, 6:33 PM
I can't do graphic design either. Anyone can steal my idea.

It'll be SSP Local: Hamilton stamped approved lol.

matt602
Jun 4, 2008, 7:11 PM
Apparently I'm the only person that likes #1. I've always liked our city's logo. Kinda looks like the CIBC towers. I like the industrial one as well, but not in the design presented.

Millstone
Jun 4, 2008, 9:27 PM
#1 is the best. However the entrance to the QEW side is currently a "Stoney Creek" thing that would need to be eliminated, good luck with that.

raisethehammer
Jun 4, 2008, 9:29 PM
Lol.

fastcarsfreedom
Jun 4, 2008, 9:48 PM
First off--Stoney Creek has a right to 'exist' despite the fact that it's no longer a political entity--would you snicker if there was an effort to remove signage around Westdale? Nonetheless, I'm sure there is some compromise possible that recognizes the Hamilton Gateway project and still is sensitive to those in the Creek who want their community identity protected.

As for the project--I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I frequently drive the 401 corridor and I must say--every municipality/town/community/county/district has been on this bandwagon for the past 10 or so years--these things exist at 401 off-ramps and all seem similar in style and spirit to these--Brantford, Chatham-Kent, Ridgetown, etc etc etc...regardless--of them all, I favor the "corporate brand" version--like matt and millstone, I've always liked that wordmark and logo--since they are key to the cities branding, why not use them? The others are unimaginative block letters...perhaps there is an opportunity to build on the "corporate brand" alternative by adding additional elements.

The problem with these type of initiatives is that they have a finite lifespan and--as I've seen in my travels--are subject to damage, wear and vandalism. The city has to be absolutely committed to making this work--no 'deferred maintenance' or lack of upkeep because budget constraints crop up years down the road. The final design also needs to be a 'classic'--not something that will age quickly. I remember a proposal back in the late 1980s to plant vertical i-beams around downtown with stencil-styled font reading "Kinggate, Maingate, Jamesgate" etc...imagine how that would've aged?

oldcoote
Jun 4, 2008, 11:05 PM

If there's a way to run the pump on solar power, git 'er done.

And stainless steel should be used to spell "Hamilton".

SteelTown
Jun 4, 2008, 11:30 PM
Yep and put some LED lights on at night and the word Hamilton will shine bright with the water pouring over it.

This would go great once that pedestrian bridge is built over the QEW.

Millstone
Jun 4, 2008, 11:32 PM
These are all just distractions from Stelco anyway. Might as well build a huge wall of trees on either side of Burlington St while we're at it.

highwater
Jun 5, 2008, 3:06 PM
Just voted for no.4, but I'm all about native plants. I like the idea of including limestone and/or water elements as well, just as long as it doesn't end up looking like one of those generic Rudy Reimer business parks.

LikeHamilton
Jun 7, 2008, 11:55 AM
Gateway feature proposed for 403 and Alberton Road

Four options available

Mike Pearson Jun 06, 2008 Ancaster News

It's a welcoming sign for commuters who visit Ancaster via Highway 403.

The highway interchange near Alberton Road is one of several sites across the city chosen to receive a new civic gateway feature.

City staff will seek public input on four preferred designs from now until June 27. A public meeting was held June 4 to formally announce the plan.

All four designs feature the name of the municipality, Hamilton, set against a coloured horizontal background.

The preferred designs were discussed at Monday's Ancaster Community Committee meeting. While some members expressed the desire to have the Ancaster name recognized on the Alberton Road feature, Ancaster Councillor Lloyd Ferguson said provincial transportation ministry guidelines allow only the use of the municipal name.

Once the preferred option is identified, each location is expected to receive the same gateway feature.

The first design includes Hamilton's corporate logo with a forested landscape. A second option depicts a local landmark, the Desjardins Canal and York Boulevard high level bridge. The third design pays homage to Hamilton's industrial heritage. A fourth gateway option shows a tree-lined backdrop as a tribute to Hamilton's diverse communities.

Committee member John Knechtel suggested a more local theme for the Alberton Road feature.

"My sense is putting up a great big sign that says Hamilton might be a problem," said Mr. Knechtel.

As an alternative, Mr. Knechtel proposed adding "A city of many communities," to each gateway feature, to highlight Hamilton's diversity.

Ken Coit, a Hamilton urban designer, said adding a small word caption is possible, but generally goes against the transportation ministry's guidelines.

"They like to keep them as simple as possible," Mr. Coit explained.

He said city staff hope to complete the design study by the end of this year. Construction and installation is anticipated by 2010.

The gateway features will be installed along the Ministry of Transportation road allowance, but planning and construction responsibilities rest with the city.

No cost estimates have been set, but Mr. Coit said the municipality will finance the project.

After discussing the options, a majority of the Ancaster community advisory committee members voted to support option one, the corporate brand design.

Gateway features are also planned for the Highway 6 and 403 interchange, Highway 6 at Freelton, The Queen Elizabeth Way and Fifty Road and the QEW at the Burlington Street/Red Hill Creek Expressway/Centennial Parkway interchange.

SteelTown
Jul 19, 2013, 4:47 PM
*cough* been there done that.

bigguy1231
Jul 19, 2013, 6:52 PM
This is an absolute waste of money. This along with that ridiculous monolith that they have on King St. announcing the downtown smack of the small town mentality in this city.

As for mentioning any of the former suburban towns in the signage that is just pandering to the whiners in those areas. This is Hamilton now, not Flamboro or Stoney Creek or any of the other former towns. A simple blue sign like every other city in the province has will suffice.

Pearlstreet
Jul 19, 2013, 7:46 PM
Sorry Steeltown, it was 2008.

SteelTown
Jul 19, 2013, 8:50 PM
no worries! just pointing out this has been debated in the past and there was no real interest.

SteelTown
Jul 19, 2013, 8:51 PM
Found an active link to the gateway design study

http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartments/PlanningEcDev/Divisions/Planning/CommunityPlanning/UrbanDesign/CurrentProjects/CivicGateway/

Katrillion
Jul 20, 2013, 5:30 PM
lol

ScreamingViking
Jul 21, 2013, 7:59 PM
If they're actually still pursuing this, something with the bridge theme would be preferable.

But I don't see the value. To me these kinds of things are small town, and scream "Notice me!"

If they do it, may as well put something like "Home of Martin Short" or "Dave Andreychuk" or "Sheila Copps" on the sign too. ;)

thistleclub
Jul 22, 2013, 11:46 AM
http://www.hamiltonnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/MasonicSign-copyWEB-150x150.jpg

Ancaster News, July 17 2013 (http://www.hamiltonnews.com/community/ancaster/not-everywhere-a-sign/):

After an absence of more than seven years, the Seymour Lodge Masonic Hall (http://www.hamiltondistrictcmasons.org/lodge_detail.php?lodge_id=2) sign has made its way back on to three entrance signs surrounding Ancaster. The signs were re-installed due in large part to the efforts of Jim Green and Carl Haycock.

SteelTown
Sep 19, 2013, 3:28 PM
Councillors vote to give Hamilton its welcome sign

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/councillors-vote-to-give-hamilton-its-welcome-sign-1.1860430

City hall is looking into erecting a welcome sign outside Hamilton to give the city some personality.

The general issues committee voted Wednesday to have staff report back on putting up a gateway sign to “brand” the community.

The effort will promote the city in advance of the 2015 Pan Am Games. Laura Babcock, a community activist and owner of a local public relations firm, pitched the idea on Wednesday.

“Not to get into marketing speak, but we’re missing out on thousands of brand impressions every day,” Babcock told councillors.

“People see smoke stacks and they assume that’s Hamilton. Having a sign that raises that brand impression even minimally that makes the city look welcoming and proud makes a difference.”

The City of Hamilton did studies into a sign in 2007 and 2008. There’s no reason why the city can’t move ahead with it now, said city manager Chris Murray.

Design and cost are still question marks, but “these are minor details,” Murray said.

Babcock started a social media campaign to get ideas for a gateway sign. She used the Twitter hash tag #Time4Sign.

The campaign was a force, said Coun. Jason Farr.

“It’s a wonderful example of how ever-growing and almost out of control the Twitterverse is,” he said.

City council will ratify the decision on Sept. 25.

flar
Sep 19, 2013, 7:00 PM
Councillors vote to give Hamilton its welcome sign

The City of Hamilton did studies into a sign in 2007 and 2008. There’s no reason why the city can’t move ahead with it now, said city manager Chris Murray.

But those studies are old, they need to do another study first. How is council supposed to make an informed decision on such a crucial matter with such outdated information?

Could end with something like this:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/segaert/goodbye/00227.jpg

matt602
Sep 19, 2013, 8:54 PM
That would be pretty awesome, actually.

Dr Awesomesauce
Sep 19, 2013, 11:22 PM
^Yeah, you might be onto something there.

I'm still interested in this Las Vegas-esque/ City Motor Hotel sign idea - lots of neon and flashing lights. That would also be cool.

the905sDW
Sep 21, 2013, 1:30 AM
I haven't read much or looked into this issue at all really - Is signage going up just for the sake of the PanAm games? Does anyone have details on the signage? I feel as though it is the perfect opportunity to address the brand of the city of Hamilton altogether. Hamilton has grown tremendously in the past years. I feel an updated visual identity would help promote the changes that now reflect this city. As a graphic designer, I'm very interested to know how the city, and other feel about this.

Pearlstreet
Sep 23, 2013, 5:36 AM
I haven't read much or looked into this issue at all really - Is signage going up just for the sake of the PanAm games? Does anyone have details on the signage? I feel as though it is the perfect opportunity to address the brand of the city of Hamilton altogether. Hamilton has grown tremendously in the past years. I feel an updated visual identity would help promote the changes that now reflect this city. As a graphic designer, I'm very interested to know how the city, and other feel about this.

I agree with you, as much as I hate to admit it, image is everything.

coalminecanary
Sep 23, 2013, 6:12 PM
Image might be everything but putting a sign on the QEW is not going to move our image one millimeter no matter how nice the logo is.

the905sDW
Sep 23, 2013, 10:28 PM
Image might be everything but putting a sign on the QEW is not going to move our image one millimeter no matter how nice the logo is.

it might not change the view or image of the city, but at least you would know you were actually in it! Out city is too good for the 'builder-basic' blue highway sign.

coalminecanary
Sep 23, 2013, 11:21 PM
A real city announces itself by its reputation, not by its manicured highway sign. THese signs scream "inferiority complex".

If we want to improve our image we need to do it form the inside out. This is a waste of time, energy and money when there are real things we should be busy doing, like making the city liveable and economically sustainable.

Dr Awesomesauce
Sep 23, 2013, 11:29 PM
I don't disagree with you but I'm not sure it has to be an either-or proposition. With City Hall, however, you just never know. Perhaps they'll splash out with the rest of our Future Fund monies. :slob:

coalminecanary
Sep 23, 2013, 11:37 PM
It just kills me that we rubber stamp these HUGE roads expenditures every budget year without a second thought. And now how much time is going to be wasted determining whether to make a sign or not, and if so, what will it look like, how will we pay for it etc etc etc.... it is totally wasteful in terms of time and eventually money. Nobody - and I mean nobody - is going to take a highway exit because of this sign, and it won't change anyone's preconceived notions about Hamilton. And based on the city's track record with "public art" (witness our bus wraps and hideous traffic signal box covers) it will very likely be ugly and dated the minute it's built. I have no patience for pig lipstick when we are a billion dollars in the hole. If they REALLY want to do something to make the city look better from the QEW, they should light up the skyway or something. But even that would be premature. Lets move into the 20th century before we start getting all proud about how neat-o we are.

flar
Sep 24, 2013, 3:10 PM
That would be pretty awesome, actually.

haha, I was being facetious. That mural is almost certainly better than whatever they will end up with.

It will probably be some fake stone pillars with a few slats of wood across it, Hamilton logo of painted wood, and some Home Depot landscaping. Like pretty much every other city in Ontario.

HillStreetBlues
Sep 24, 2013, 4:57 PM
It just kills me that we rubber stamp these HUGE roads expenditures every budget year without a second thought. And now how much time is going to be wasted determining whether to make a sign or not, and if so, what will it look like, how will we pay for it etc etc etc.... it is totally wasteful in terms of time and eventually money. Nobody - and I mean nobody - is going to take a highway exit because of this sign, and it won't change anyone's preconceived notions about Hamilton. ... I have no patience for pig lipstick when we are a billion dollars in the hole...

I’m really happy when I hear people talking like this.

There’s nothing wrong with a welcome sign as such. But this city is facing some real challenges. It’s too often that the municipal government stands around patting itself on its back as it wastes time and money talking about extremely low-impact things like this, and few people clue in to the fact that it is ignoring its real job, and ignoring growing problems. This is all a polite fiction, and it's not productive.

lucasmascotto
May 7, 2014, 2:04 AM
Welcome to Hamilton: councillors to vote on gateway sign for Hwy. 403
The Hamilton Spectator

City staff are calling for a $230,000 Hamilton gateway sign at highways 403 and 6 to be installed in time for the Pan Am Games.

"This location was chosen due to traffic volume statistics, and the high volume of traffic expected as part of the official route to Pan Am Games soccer in Hamilton," reads a public works department report that will be presented at the general issues committee Wednesday.

The installation, about 500 metres west of the ramp to Highway 6, would need to be approved by the Ministry of Transportation and would be paid for out of capital reserves.

The ministry estimates that on average, 117,000 cars pass the site each day.

If council approves the plan, city staff recommends the proposed design be displayed on the city's website for public feedback. The design renders the word Hamilton in metal, 3D block letters with landscaping behind.

An eight-month MTO approval process and the construction tender, sign fabrication and installation are expected to take until July 2015.

Public works staff are also recommending that the costs for signs at the city's other highway entrances — Highway 6 and Freelton Road, Highway 403 and Alberton Road and the Queen Elizabeth Way at Fifty Road — be considered in the 2016 budget.

The estimated cost for those three gateways is $550,000.

Staff concluded the pedestrian bridge over the QEW at the Red Hill Valley Parkway exchange serves as a gateway there.

Under provincial guidelines, if the city installed a gateway sign at the QEW and Fifty Road, it would require removing the existing Stoney Creek sign.

The Hamilton gateway signs issue has been studied for years, first surfacing in 2001 just after amalgamation.

http://media.zuza.com/b/6/b6eb82de-583b-4ce3-b7d8-3f7a1a6e918e/B821603750Z.1_20140506181405_000_GTB182L26.2_Content.jpg

coalminecanary
May 7, 2014, 3:36 AM
What a waste of money.

bluevue
May 7, 2014, 10:20 AM
given the goal is pre Pan-Am, you would think the ministry process could be expedited just a bit....little urgency here. I think the city needs this. It makes no sense that all other cities in the areas have these, but Hamilton. Man up!

coalminecanary
May 7, 2014, 1:23 PM
Will there be a day-long debate about whether we can afford this or is that level of scrutiny reserved for bike lane maintenance costs?

HamiltonBoyInToronto
May 7, 2014, 2:08 PM
not only a waste of money but this makes us look like a small suburb of Toronto that needs to be identified.... why not spend some money and fix the horrible lighting on the new pedestrian bridge that overpasses the QEW ?? whoever was in charge of lighting that bridge has obviously never worked with lighting installations before

HillStreetBlues
May 7, 2014, 7:31 PM
What a waste of a half a million dollars.

Last I checked, highway 403 is not Hamilton. Motorists will get to see a pretty sign, and the ones just passing by might be fooled, but what about the ones who get off the highway at Main East and see...more highway. Or Aberdeen to see the rail yard and a couple of vacant lots.

thistleclub
May 8, 2014, 12:10 AM
Hamilton's borderline neurotic labelling of urban geography ("Welcome to the North End" springs to mind) seems like a marker of low confidence or civic amnesia, like these places would have no identity, charisma or history if you didn't bracket them with expository signage or overwrought gateway features. It has gone beyond the kitsch obelisks favoured by various BIAs and is fast approaching something akin to your mom sewing name tags inside your clothes.

Not a fan. Seems like podunk stuff to me.

coalminecanary
May 8, 2014, 12:54 PM
http://distilleryimage11.ak.instagram.com/f550a1b205a311e388fb22000ae911cc_7.jpg

markbarbera
May 8, 2014, 8:32 PM
Labelling of urban geography rarely aid in enabling civic identity, or develop into iconic symbolism.

http://www.psula.org/images/article_images/316.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/BeverlyHills_logo.jpg

http://www.discoveramerica.com/~/media/befe243231924a148a342d7f3bf3cbcd/lasvegas%20welcome%20sign.jpg?w=1046&h=380&bg=ffffff

thomax
May 8, 2014, 9:15 PM
I don't understand how a few metal letters and some trees could cost as much as a house... :koko:
http://i.cbc.ca/1.2635586.1399510653!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/hamilton-welcome-sign.jpg
Source (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/hamilton-spending-230k-on-a-welcome-sign-1.2635577)

...and that design couldn't get much more boring.

I designed this a few months ago. I used orange brick with dark would trim to go with so many historic buildings downtown. I also added a waterfall feature because Hamilton is the waterfall capital of the world. The letters would be metal with a metallic silver finish, and Hamilton's "The Ambitious City" nickname would also be featured. At night it would glow with white LED lights...
http://i59.tinypic.com/34j8wg5.jpg
Source: My Photo

Different views, and colours...

http://i60.tinypic.com/5x7m7b.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/20pikn.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2zg7oqu.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/eqnkb5.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/op8qz4.jpg

Lighter wood colour & dark stone:
http://i57.tinypic.com/25qpun6.jpg

Dark wood & dark brick:
http://i57.tinypic.com/2gxhh92.jpg

davidcappi
May 8, 2014, 9:16 PM
Email that shit to the city yo. It looks excellent.

thomax
May 8, 2014, 9:21 PM
Email that shit to the city yo. It looks excellent.

thomax
May 8, 2014, 9:48 PM
What my design would look like if it replaced the Stoney Creek sign at Fruitland Road...
http://i61.tinypic.com/2eead92.jpg