PDA

View Full Version : Grafton between Sackville and Blowers

whyteknight
Jun 1, 2008, 3:35 AM
Just wondering what that hideous nearly block long brown building is on the west side of the street.

Here's what I'd want to see replacing it. (2floor retail spaces below 2 story lofts)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/whyteknight1/hali.jpg

Thanks.

someone123
Jun 1, 2008, 3:45 AM
It's a data centre for the RBC. No idea what the site's redevelopment prospects are.

I think most would agree that the building is hideous and the area in general leaves a lot to be desired. The Marriott is okay in terms of how it filled in the lot but is very cheap looking.

There are two other projects I know of for the area. The first is for the Herald lands and the lot above. It would be huge if completed but is tied up with the whole convention centre RFP plus the Midtown fiasco. The other would be a boutique hotel on top of or next to Seven, but I read about that a while ago. Not sure if the idea is dead.

Now that I think of it I've also heard speculation about the lot next to St. Mary's on the corner of Spring Garden and Grafton, but again that would be something several years off at least.

Empire
Jun 1, 2008, 1:45 PM
The hideous RBC data centre is typical of what low architectural standards we have. In fact there are no standards at all. It will be interesting to see who wins the convention centre bid. The Herald/Midtown site is probably preferred but the Seawall site would provide more sq. footage and possibly an arena. I hope the small lot next to St. Mary's Basilica remains undeveloped. The view of St. Mary's B is much more interesting than some cheap Marriott style 40 room hotel with precast accessories. The view of All Saints Cathedral on Tower Rd. was destroyed by the cheap knockoff crammed in beside it.

spaustin
Jun 1, 2008, 5:17 PM
That RBC monstrosity really does need to go. It has to be one of the worst buildings in the city. As for St. Mary's, if you're referring the parking lot next to the church, there is no prospect of developing it. It's owned by the church and they intend to keep it. It's important to them to keep the remaining views of the church steeple and they also need parking since the parishoners who live nearby are steadily dwindling.

Dmajackson
Jun 1, 2008, 11:36 PM
The view of All Saints Cathedral on Tower Rd. was destroyed by the cheap knockoff crammed in beside it.

Yah that new condo building really shouldn't be there. Its only two stories and it doesn't fit the feel of the street. Residential doesn't match with institution/parkland. Unfortunately the church needs the income to stay afloat.

Just as a side note that section of Tower Road was renamed Martello Street (SGR to University)

Takeo
Jun 2, 2008, 2:26 AM
Just as a side note that section of Tower Road was renamed Martello Street (SGR to University)

Haha :) Yes. Sorry to thread jack... but my favorite new street name is "Massachusets Avenue"... formerly the Robie St. Extension. I really don't understand why Young St and Young Ave were not renamed though.

Dmajackson
Jun 2, 2008, 4:39 PM
Haha :) Yes. Sorry to thread jack... but my favorite new street name is "Massachusets Avenue"... formerly the Robie St. Extension. I really don't understand why Young St and Young Ave were not renamed though.

Probably because Young St is very long and is screwed anyways (thanks to the intersection with Bayers/Windsor). And Young Ave would end up in a massive legal battle (the rich wouldn't let it happen). Sorry about thread jacking...