PDA

View Full Version : I need a mechanic

Millstone
May 31, 2008, 4:49 AM
I'd like to find a good mechanic or "automotive technician" in the city. Currently I still get my work done in Fort Erie (where I lived for 12 years until January) but I can't always be down there. Anybody that drives should post!

beanmedic
May 31, 2008, 6:04 AM
I'd like to find a good mechanic or "automotive technician" in the city. Currently I still get my work done in Fort Erie (where I lived for 12 years until January) but I can't always be down there. Anybody that drives should post!

My girlfriend takes her car to Russell Automotive on Ottawa St. N. sort of across from Limoncello. She started going there on the recommendation of my friend. Great service, absolutely no problems. The guy that owns it used to work for a dealership (i cant remember which one) and started his own business a couple of years ago.

hmagazine
May 31, 2008, 3:39 PM
Try Varga's at Barton and Bay streets.

Good guys from what I hear. They are the go to automotive place for musicians and artists locally.

Gurnett71
May 31, 2008, 4:11 PM
If you drive a Volvo, I recommend Jonathan's Swedish Car Repair on Cannon, just west of Wentworth. Much more economical than the dealer!

Millstone
May 31, 2008, 6:53 PM
Thanks guys. I drive a Grand Prix, so no swedish car repair for me. :)

bornagainbiking
Jun 2, 2008, 1:14 AM
Zellens, Barton and Catharine

IronWarrior
Jun 30, 2008, 3:49 AM
West Town Auto on Aberdeen

MsMe
Jan 19, 2009, 5:32 AM
A garage to avoid CRS on King St. near Scott Park school.
I had to have my emission test last week and it didn't pass grrr. So I took my car to an oil lube place to have it tested, but they don't do the repairs there. So I took the car to CRS for the repairs, which ended up costing $306 with taxes. :(
They told me while there it would take about 2 hours to repair. So I said I would wait. 5 and a half hours later the car still wasn't done. He told me the emission machine kept crashing and he couldn't re-test it. That was last Tuesday, then I called on Friday and asked if it was fixed yet he said yes. So I made another apt for 4pm on Friday. When I got there he said the machine crashed again. Why couldn't call me to tell me. :hell: So in the meantime I had to get a temp sticker for the car which ended up costing $15 which is only good for 10 days which expired yesterday.

So anyhow, I took the car back for the re-test on the emission to the oil lube place where the car failed on Friday after I left CRS. The only thing that didn't pass this time was the gas cap so I replaced that. So I went to the Ministry Saturday afternoon to get the new sticker and since I got there after 1 pm she couldn't give me one since the head office closes then. And she said that I need proof that I owned the car prior to the emission test. Like my insurance papers don't prove that. :hell: So I had to get another temp sticker again and pay another $15. So now I still have to get the new sticker and pay the normal $74. Needless to say I wasn't in a good mood at all after going through all of this shit. :hell: :hell:

highwater
Jan 19, 2009, 2:41 PM
There's an auto service in Dundas that caters to women. I can't recall the name, but it's on Main/Wilson across from the lawn cemetery. Haven't gone there myself yet, but it's spoken of very highly. Can't imagine you being treated like that there.

IronWarrior
Jan 19, 2009, 9:01 PM
A garage to avoid CRS on King St. near Scott Park school.
I had to have my emission test last week and it didn't pass grrr. So I took my car to an oil lube place to have it tested, but they don't do the repairs there. So I took the car to CRS for the repairs, which ended up costing $306 with taxes. :(
They told me while there it would take about 2 hours to repair. So I said I would wait. 5 and a half hours later the car still wasn't done. He told me the emission machine kept crashing and he couldn't re-test it. That was last Tuesday, then I called on Friday and asked if it was fixed yet he said yes. So I made another apt for 4pm on Friday. When I got there he said the machine crashed again. Why couldn't call me to tell me. :hell: So in the meantime I had to get a temp sticker for the car which ended up costing $15 which is only good for 10 days which expired yesterday.

So anyhow, I took the car back for the re-test on the emission to the oil lube place where the car failed on Friday after I left CRS. The only thing that didn't pass this time was the gas cap so I replaced that. So I went to the Ministry Saturday afternoon to get the new sticker and since I got there after 1 pm she couldn't give me one since the head office closes then. And she said that I need proof that I owned the car prior to the emission test. Like my insurance papers don't prove that. :hell: So I had to get another temp sticker again and pay another $15. So now I still have to get the new sticker and pay the normal $74. Needless to say I wasn't in a good mood at all after going through all of this shit. :hell: :hell:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with CRS... I have went there in the past when I had to have some emergency work done after hours, and I can't say I have any complaints, although that was around 3 years ago...are they still 24hr's? I now go to Westown Auto on Aberdeen and have for the last 3 years or so and there the only guys I trust, all the work they have done is top notch! Its a family owned buisiness for the last 40 years and the owners are the mechanics, a dad and his 2 sons..good guys! they do emmissions tests but they dont have a machine at there shop so they take it for you some where and get it done! check them out sometime.

MsMe
Jan 19, 2009, 11:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with CRS... I have went there in the past when I had to have some emergency work done after hours, and I can't say I have any complaints, although that was around 3 years ago...are they still 24hr's? I now go to Westown Auto on Aberdeen and have for the last 3 years or so and there the only guys I trust, all the work they have done is top notch! Its a family owned buisiness for the last 40 years and the owners are the mechanics, a dad and his 2 sons..good guys! they do emmissions tests but they dont have a machine at there shop so they take it for you some where and get it done! check them out sometime.

The one man told me his father has since left him to take over the business at CRS after he retired. They are open till 2 am now.

And thanks for the info. :)
Is their labour reasonable? I found most places now are about $85 to $89 an hour.