PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Ray, Dunkin donuts, an ethnic scarf, and the Oregon Capitol

IHEARTPDX
May 28, 2008, 10:05 PM
Ok...I don't know if any of you have heard about a new right wing controversy about Rachael Ray wearing a Kiffeyeh (a traditional scarf worn in the Middle east) in a Dunkin donuts ad, and Dunkin donuts being forced to pull the ad...anywho...

Question: Is that the Oregon capitol building in the background?

http://epicurious.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/28/rachael_ray_keffiyeh.jpg

zilfondel
May 28, 2008, 10:32 PM
^ looks like it. I believe ours has a bunch of cherry trees too, doesn't it?

What a bunch of racists - those scarves are very nice looking! There are many middle easterners in the US... they are entitled to their fashions and individual style just like the rest of us.

pdxman
May 28, 2008, 11:07 PM
Yes, that is definitely the Oregon capitol. The gold man, cherry trees, and the architecture give it away. I remember a few years ago she passed through salem for her cooking show.

pdxman
May 28, 2008, 11:11 PM
What a load of BS...

Dunkin Donuts pulls ad featuring 'jihad' scarf, Oregon capitol

When conservative bloggers went on the attack this week against Dunkin Donuts' latest ad, they focused on the stringy, white and black scarf drapped around Rachel Ray's neck.

The scarf, they insisted, promoted some kind of terrorist chic. Ultraconservative commentator Michele Malkin compared it to a keffiyeh, "the traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad."

Of course, in Oregon, people would be forgiven for taking their eyes off the fashion threat and asking, "Why is Rachel Ray standing in front of the Oregon capitol building in Salem?"

Dunkin Donuts' answer: She wasn't.

"It's a fictional cityscape," said David Puner, a company spokesman. "We shot her in front of a green screen and used a stock photo for the backdrop."

In the online banner ad, the domestic goddess stands with an iced coffee on a mall of blossoming trees. Oregon's non-dome capitol cylinder rises above the trees, its golden statue glimmering under a perfect sky.

Fearing the right-wing drumbeat might lead to a boycott, the Massachusetts company caved on Wednesday and yanked the ad. Malkin, in turn, poste don her blog that "it's refreshing to see an American company show sensitivity to the concerns of Americans opposed to Islamic jihad and its apologists."

Of course, in a statement, Dunkin Donuts said no symbolism was intended. And just as Ray had no idea she would be pictured standing in Oregon, she had no say about her wardrobe.

The silk scarf with the paisley design "was selected by a stylist for the advertising shoot," the company said.

Phew! Good to know Dunkin Donuts wasn't trying to send us a subliminal message after they had to close all of their Oregon coffee shops a few years back.

-- Joseph Rose; josephrose@news.oregonian.com
http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/05/dunkin_donuts_pulls_ad_featuri.html

westsider
May 29, 2008, 4:53 AM
I miss DD. :(

Way better than Krispy Kreme Korp.

pdxman
May 29, 2008, 4:54 AM
I agree! The last dunkin donuts on the west coast closed a few months ago down in salem. I would love to see a few starbucks replaced with some DD.

IanofCascadia
May 29, 2008, 5:27 AM
I don't know... It's hard to want to go to Dunkin' Donuts after a display of courage like this. :hell: The best donuts that I have ever had were the chocolate donut holes from Mister Donut... I used to get them all the time in Gainesville, FL. Other than that, I have very little compassion or desire for non-northwest brands and none for ones which cave to the bane of modern civilization, i.e. Michele Malkin and crowd.

joeplayer1989
May 29, 2008, 5:52 AM
go to sesame donuts by Jesuit high school, they are just like dd

westsider
May 29, 2008, 6:24 AM
^ I love Sesame! I'm pretty sure the (Turkish?) guy who owns it also had the franchise when it was still DD. I've noticed a couple other Sesames popping up, theres a brand new one in downtown Sherwood.

Sekkle
May 29, 2008, 2:15 PM
What about voodoo donuts?
from the djc...
That voodoo that you do so well
POSTED: 11:33 AM PDT Thursday, May 22, 2008
BY NATHALIE WEINSTEIN

The DJC is fortunate to be a few blocks from Voodoo Doughnut, those sassy Portland purveyors of deep-fried-golden-goodness. But that doesn’t make me any less excited that they have plans to open a second store this month.

Via the Portland Mercury, the donut shop’s new digs will be located at 1501 N.E. Davis St. Its original location is in Old Town at 22 S.W. Third Avenue.

A parade from the old store to the new one will be held on Friday May 30th at 6:45 p.m. If you plan on getting a donut for the long walk to Northeast, my personal favorite is the Grape Ape, a raised donut with vanilla frosting, grape powder and purple sprinkles.

ethirtysex
May 29, 2008, 2:18 PM
I was thinking about boycotting DD on the basis that they were acting so blatantly stupid by pulling that ad over a non-issue, and then I remembered that there were none around here to boycott.

IHEARTPDX
May 29, 2008, 2:51 PM
I want a Spudnuts (http://www.richland.tri-cityshopping.com/spudnuts/) to open up somewhere in Portland.

MarkDaMan
May 29, 2008, 4:48 PM
This is some of the stupidest BS I've ever read!

smendesPDX
May 29, 2008, 4:51 PM
I want to see a Times Square sized Dunkin Donuts billboard ad right smack in the middle of Pioneer Square

urbanlife
May 29, 2008, 6:31 PM
I hate rachael ray, that is a cute scarf for a girl to wear, and this is all stupid over reacting, but I can understand why dunkin donuts would pull it.

If you ever want to see something funny, go to chicago and try to count every time you walk past a dunkin donuts. That city smells like donuts and sewage, it is awesome. The donuts because there are so many dunkin donuts and sewage because their storm water drains into their sewage lines.

brandonpdx
May 29, 2008, 6:56 PM
this is just backwards and racist. I'm dumbfounded that humanity is still so ignorant after everything we've been through.

joeplayer1989
May 29, 2008, 9:13 PM
voodoo is way crowded on the weekends when I go, but still worth it!

westsider
May 29, 2008, 9:23 PM
I hate rachael ray, that is a cute scarf for a girl to wear, and this is all stupid over reacting, but I can understand why dunkin donuts would pull it.

If you ever want to see something funny, go to chicago and try to count every time you walk past a dunkin donuts. That city smells like donuts and sewage, it is awesome. The donuts because there are so many dunkin donuts and sewage because their storm water drains into their sewage lines.

Bostons the same way, you cant go ANYWHERE that doesnt smell of donuts and breakfast food. My aunt lives near a busy intersection and there is a DD within a mile in three directions.

BrG
May 29, 2008, 9:36 PM
Two Words:

Annie's Donuts. :tup:

urbanlife
May 29, 2008, 10:34 PM
Bostons the same way, you cant go ANYWHERE that doesnt smell of donuts and breakfast food. My aunt lives near a busy intersection and there is a DD within a mile in three directions.

dude, are you trying to make me want to go to boston? :haha:

bvpcvm
May 30, 2008, 12:26 AM
i've never even heard of rachel ray before, but this is just absolutely ridiculous. but that's your right wing for you: spending their energy on the possibility that someone might be wearing something resembling clothing worn in the middle east. what a bunch of pathetic losers.

MarkDaMan
May 30, 2008, 2:52 AM
^WoW...never? She is like the girl next door Martha Stewart. And I have one of her 30 Minute Meal cookbooks...muy bien!

aaron38
May 30, 2008, 2:59 AM
I heard about this, and it's just downright sad. The way the right wingers piss their pants at the mere sight of anything Arab is a huge reason why I'm not a Republican anymore.

Aparently a yard of fabric is all it takes to send the GOP hiding under their beds. Party of national security my ass.

bvpcvm
May 30, 2008, 6:35 AM
^WoW...never?

never. but i don't watch tv (i assume she's on tv somewhere).

now that i think about it, i'm glad this is happening, because 1) it shows how desperate the republicans are, 2) it shows they haven't thought of any new tricks - this is the same shit they've been doing forever and 3) i think the country has reached a tipping point where, except for the true idiots, like my dad for example, fewer and fewer people buy into the fearmongering. at least here among young (ish) people in portland oregon.

westsider
May 30, 2008, 6:36 AM

anp
May 30, 2008, 2:10 PM

I know of at least one location near Boston where there's a DD on each side of a busy street so people don't have to turn around or turn left to pick up their morning coffee! Just be glad you don't have orange and pink plastic DD signs all over the place in Portland....

PacificNW
May 30, 2008, 5:20 PM
Isn't DD headquartered out of Canton, MA? When I vacationed in Boston they were like Starbucks in Seattle....every block, it seemed. Anyway, the scarf thing is asinine. I feel like purchasing one and wearing it over my rain jacket.

joeplayer1989
May 30, 2008, 5:41 PM
I am an American born muslim and I find this ethnic scarf controversy thing hilarious.

Chicago3rd
May 30, 2008, 6:31 PM
I am an American born muslim and I find this ethnic scarf controversy thing hilarious.

Hilarious...wish I could feel the same way. It sickens me that this country is still so backward. Living in Chicago I have gotten hooked on DD's new hashbrowns and personal pizzas...but I broke off our relationship yesterday.

I refuse to support a company that supports terrorism...which is exactly what they did when the cowtowed to the right wing extreme terrorist in this country.

joeplayer1989
May 31, 2008, 6:59 AM
totally, these neocons r the REAL terrorists, BUSH=war criminal/international terrorist. It is our presence in the middle east that agitate the extremist muslim groups to form and grow. 1 more thing, dont believe the propaganda that there were terrorists in iraq b4 we went, bush attracted them there. IM DONE DD ROCKS, voodoo is better

hymalaia
May 31, 2008, 8:01 AM
Isn't DD headquartered out of Canton, MA? When I vacationed in Boston they were like Starbucks in Seattle....every block, it seemed. Anyway, the scarf thing is asinine. I feel like purchasing one and wearing it over my rain jacket.

I think it's actually Randolph, MA. I used to live in Milton which is right near these towns. DD is one thing I don't miss now that I'm in Portland. The neon and pink signs are just wrong for New England. They mar the urban landscape bad. Starbucks might be a bigger more evil corporate giant but at least they aren't so garish., and they have nicer interiors. On the other hand in Miami, Dunkin Donuts looks good.

Also need to mention DD has some of the worst coffee ever. It's worse than 7-11 (which I actually like). Nobody sane drinks DD coffee black, they load it with cream and sugar, which I can't do. I'm not picky when it comes to coffee at all but I know what I can and can't drink and if I can't drink it it must be horrible. Don't get me started on DD's "latte's". Their coolata's are good though. Anyway...

streetcar_hugger
May 31, 2008, 4:31 PM
I find it racist that DD pulled the ad. I am boycotting all DD in the Pacific Northwest. Who wants to join me for a Donut run to Timmies in Vancouver? No , no not that little vancouver, the big Vancouver with the two new buildings putting Portland to shame.....:P

Evergrey
May 31, 2008, 4:46 PM
If there are no Dunkins in Oregon, why is the Oregon State Capitol featured in that "terrorist-supporting" advertisment?

bvpcvm
May 31, 2008, 5:16 PM
according to the web site there's one - in salem, in fact.

pdxman
May 31, 2008, 5:20 PM
^^^There was up until a few months ago. It closed and then reopened as a different donut shop.

alexjon
May 31, 2008, 5:51 PM
I miss Tim Hortons.

The Michigan ones are a little better than the canadian ones since the coffee doesn't SUCK.

philopdx
May 31, 2008, 8:44 PM
These conservative bloggers are the representatives and torch-bearers of the people the spurred welfare reform, defeated the Soviet Union, completely overhauled the tax system, proposed and implemented the START treaties, ran a brilliant campaign in the first Gulf War... and this is what they've sunk to?

MarkDaMan
Jun 1, 2008, 5:30 AM
^hmmmm, the moderate Republicans have made many great contributions to the country and even our state, but the conservative republicanism, the one wrapping the flag around the cross, don't represent much of anything nor have many great accomplishments they have provided to America.